Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Santa Barbara ..photo heavy

Posted by dodgerdudette NapaCaz9 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 22:38

I came home with about 300 pics , way less than I expected too ! About half of them are crapola, lol.

Lotusland..this was really a remarkable garden, but hard to get good photos on a docent led tour. Membership is in my future.

From Events

From Events

From Events

From Events

From Events

From Events

From Events

Kathy in Napa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Santa Barbara ..photo heavy

Kathy, it looks like an extremely interesting place. What's with guided tour? I'm curious about the planting in the last picture.

o

Some very unique things Kathy, and I love the lighting in the first picture.

o

I spent a lot of time in a cactus garden near UCLA back in the Fall of 1964. Your photos bring back that time...and look very "California" to my mind!

o

Michelle, Lotusland is an estate in an extremely wealthy enclave of the Santa Barbara area, and as such, they have to restrict the traffic coming in and out. Hey also have some extremely valuable, probably irreplaceable plant collections there. The docent led groups are very small(I was with only 6 others) and it was actually nice ti first time one visits to get the history of the garden and Madame Walska, which was a really fascinating story. If you buy a membership however, you are allowed to come and wander about on your own, though I think you still have to make an appointment.

The last photo is a tall pedestal planter, embedded in the bricks and plated with succulents. The hedges are Eugenia.

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: Breif history of Lotusland.

o

I really want to go! I can see my little trip to Napa is going to turn into some serious thoughts about how to get back and see it all!

I wonder what the succulent is in the planter? I like how it trails like a pearl necklace hanging out of the urn.

Saucy

o

It's hard to believe you're on the same continent! :-) I love the 'waterfall' in the 4th picture.

o

Boy, you pegged it with your comment, Woody - it is amazing to see such exotic beauty here --

Like Saucy, I feel like I need to starting planning a few more trips to CA to see some of these amazing gardens you share with us, kathy (& kaveh too with his little hints of fantastic plantings here and there, LOL).....

I love that fountain too - being a shell addict, I am fascinated by how people using them in such amazing ways... wouldnt look so good in my plebian garden, but wow, it's a stunner in that one!

Would love to see the other 150 photos, Kathy...

-cindy

o

Wonderful images of wonderful gardens. So much fun to peruse all the very different plantings that what I'm used to here. Thanks for taking the time to share this Kathy.

Deanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here