Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Idyll#263: Friends, Plants and Books (NO Woodpeckers)

gardenbug
17 years ago

Open for business! You know what to do!

Comments (101)

• honey_mi
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, can't wait to hear about the Rochester trip! I'm sure you guys will have a wonderful time!

Lauren, great to hear from you and your pix are great! Hope all is well and that you check in again soon with chatter.

OK, what's with having to register to log in again?! Or the car video that you can't close?!!! Grrrrrrr.

The "plants on wheels" continues here. I dug out more hostas, glory in the snow, anemonies, etc., from the front yesterday and planted a gold azalea I got for $12 in the back. I also dragged the hose around and gave everything a drink. I have more to move, but it's a good start.

I was going to take a pic of a really nice Heuchera "Sparkling Burgundy" I picked up the other day for the discussions forum to ask if it retains it's color all season. I planted it Fri. nite and something ate it overnight!!! Probably wabbits. Whaaaaa.

There's a phenonemon in my garden -- there's actually room between plants! I'm just now realizing that I left room for some purchases this Spring after I saw how it actually looked. How fun. Now if I can only remember the imaginary plan.

Sue, I hear ya re health and health of friends. I'm one of the few who isn't on meds myself. I'm hoping some weight loss will help keep my blood pressure down, etc., etc.

I'm off to get outside. I need to acidify and fertilize trees and shrubs today and perhaps clean up the garden stuff in the garage among other things. Hi to all. Hope your weather is wonderful!

Honey

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone

What a fun time we've had - I wish more of you could have been here. It was a perfect day for flying, eating on the patio and strolling outside.

The Idylls and spouses arrived bearing gifts - some Painter's Pallette from Sue a wonderful box of plants propagated by Deanne. It was like Christmas in April!

{{gwi:156284}}

A group shot in the front garden.

{{gwi:156285}}

We walked around the garden before lunch Al Fresco by the pool soaking up the sun. It was such fun to sist, relax and chat.

Afterwards we left the guys to talk airplanes while Deanne, Sue, Annie and I went one one of my fav nurseries that specializes in Japanese Maples. Now, it wouldn't be an Idyll get together without one nursery visit!

{{gwi:156286}}

It was hard making decisions, especially as Doug could only take another 50 LBS on board.

{{gwi:156287}}

I wonder if Doug was surprised when we returned to hear there were 5 trees flying back? The guys helped carry the bounty out.

{{gwi:156288}}

All in all an excellent day - hope you had a safe flight home.

Mary

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Good Afternoon,

Mary, how great to see all of your smiling faces! It looks and sounds like a great day, I'm so envious. BTW, you have the cutest of kids. They have such happy faces.

I did some nursery crawling here today. It was really windy, too windy for me to want to work out in the garden. I ended up with mostly tropical stuff but did get a thalictrum elin, sedum black jack and clematis minister. I also picked up Fine Gardenings container gardening issue.

Marie, I went to three nurserys and no one sent ME home, lol. Your experience made me laugh though I wouldn't have liked someone noticing how many plants I'm buying. My neighbors and family tell me I'm out of control enough to suit me, lol.

Honey, I've been having to log in everytime I check in here for weeks now and last night I couldn't get on at all. You sound like a busy girl lately. I almost bought h. sparkling burgundy at Tellys today. I had it in my cart and then put it back and told myself quite sternly that I don't need anymore heucheras at this time. It sure was a pretty one though. They had h. cinnabar silver too which was very tempting.

Lauren, your pictures are beautiful but I'm glad that it's you heading into autumn and not me!

Marie, loved your pictures. I have a few epimediums about ready to bloom. The hellebore picture is spectacular.

T, I can't believe your weather is so cold today. And why oh why won't that darn woodpecker move on?

Sue, glad you found a home for McKenzie. My plan for this year was reworking the plants I already have in the garden too. So far I'm not doing so well though...

Tomorrow is Jenni's birthday. I can't believe I have a 27 year old child. A bunch of us girls in the family are going out to lunch and then I'm getting my sister to go with me in her truck to pick up a couple of witch hazels and a little sourwood tree I've had my eye on for a couple of weeks.

I was thinking this morning how much I've enjoyed the spring flowers in the garden this year. I don't know if it's because it's been such a beautiful month or if it's just the influence of all of you and your beautiful pictures. I'm going to try to incorporate alot more spring blooming bulbs into the garden this fall for next year though. I was reading over on the other forum and Cynthia had a great idea there for using golf tees to mark now where you want to plant this fall. It's always so hard for me to remember in the fall where the bear spots were in spring that would be perfect for bulbs.

Enough babble from me tonight. Hope you all had a great weekend.

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I keep repeating "April showers bring May flowers" Another wet day. 2.10" so far.

It may have been a wet weekend but I didnt let that stop me. We stopped at a nursery yesterday, it was decorated very cool, and they had a black and white chicken wandering around in the greenhouse, but like most around here they had just the more common plants. I did pick up hosta Guacamole, sempervivum Cobwebs and a cute little coleus Meandering Linda. I hauled all the plants that I overwintered upstairs out to the garden shed. I also did some repotting. It rained lightly all weekend. Needless to say I was drenched by the time I was done. The grass goes squish squish when you walk on it.

What a fun day the gathering Idylls seemed to have had. Good weather, conversation, food, a garden tour and a nursery. It doesnt get any better than that.

Did I see Babs whirling through here?

Honey, it sounds like things are really hopping around your house. Great news about the tools. Im sure that will help with the cost of the deck repair. Hopefully Tom can control the diabetes thing without insulin. My sister just got that same news. She is 38, but she did get the gestational diabetes during one of her pregnancies.

Bug, more great pictures, you sure have the eye.

Lauren, what fabulous fall colors you have captured.

Kenzie is spending the night here before she rides to work with me in the a.m. I will drop her at her GG house.
    Later
    Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Whew, what a day! I got up just after 5 to shower and dress so I could relax with coffee before going to meet Deanne and Doug at the airport. The flight to Mary's took less than two hours. We picked a great day-the weather was sunny and warm.

As you can see by the pictures, we had a fabulous time. After touring Mary's house and garden we ate a delicious lunch on the patio. Mary prepared a variety of great appetizers and a ham dinner. Dessert was this luscious chocolate bomb. Yummmmeee! After lunch we went to this off the beaten path nursery just minutes from Mary's house that had the most incredible selection of Japanese maples I've ever seen outside of a mail order place. It was almost good that we had limited space and weight on the plane. I bought three trees (Kinran, Orangeola, and Villa Taranto) and easily could have bought more. All these hard to find cultivars and the gallon sized plants were only $19.95.

Unfortunately our time was limited and we had to leave shortly after getting back from the nursery. The flight home was a bit more bumpy than the ride out. Luckily I has taken some Dramamine and felt fine until the last few minutes. I was able to squeeze in a regular workout when I got home and we just had a light dinner of fridge odds and ends. Now I'm going to head up to bed and read those new Thomas Hobb's books you all talked me into buying last week.

Nite, nite.

Sue

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Hi all,

Just a quick drop in tonight to let you all know what a great day we had and to let you know that we made it home safe and sound.

We started out this AM having to put all the plants outside again and also had to water all the plants in the terrace garden I moved around yesterday.

Doug and I hit the road and took to the skies to pick up Sue and Tom in Hartford. What a fabu morning we had for flying! It was absolutely smooth as glass all the way to Hartford then again all the way to Rochester. You can see how clear the air was from these photos. This first was just before we landed in Hartford.
    {{gwi:156289}}

And this photo was of just before we landed in Rochester
    {{gwi:156290}}

What a great time we had touring Marys garden, sipping our beverages (Marys DH made me a fantastic cup of coffee! As good as my Starbucks Blackeye)enjoying the sunshine and great company. Mary made us a wonderful luncheon and I do have to say that her guacamole is out of this world and into the next! I enjoyed a refreshing glass or two of homemade sangria. I easily could have eaten at least three or four pieces of the chocolate bombe dessert but limited myself to one.

After lunch Mary, Sue, Annie and I were off to the nursery. It wouldn't be an Idyll get together if we didn't visit at least one nursery would it?I contributed to two of the five Japanese Maples we flew home. How fun it was to return from the nursery and tell the guys we bought five trees!!! ROTFLOL.

OK Im turning into a pumpkin and Doug is snoring away next to me here so I think we have to hit the sack.

Nite all,
    Deanne

PS Sue is quite a good sport. The ride home was pretty bumpy and she didnt complain once.

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Lauren, Pretty fall colors.

GB, my lilacs are starting to wind down already. I love the way you capture the intricancies of plants.

T, I was at my sons house the other day when DIL came in with six windsocks she had bought to hang on their house. I know I probably heard them say before but had forgotten they have been fighting woodpeckers for a couple of years now. They have cedar siding.

Honey, you go girl. I'm happy to hear you are getting so much done. And room for more plants. Woo Hoo!

I am trying and I can see progress, but it is hard to ignore what isn't happening. I worked in off and on rain today. I finally got a big clump of daylily dug out and moved. It was growing where we built the new swing arbor and was in the way. It also would have clashed badly with the Zephrine Douhrin rose that is growing there. the rose is a start from my other one that I had just stuck in the sandy gravel near the path and it rooted. It has grown to a pretty good size and has buds. This will be its first time to bloom. I also planted a Weigela that I had started from a cutting from an old one we had removed.

I'm surprised I have any plants left at all. We had 40 to 50 mph winds yesterday evening and last night. I thought V would wake up with a brand new garden from Missouri this morning.

Mary, How nice that your day turned out so well. Everyone looks so happy. I would have loved to visit that nursery too. The japanese maples are so pretty in a garden. I would love to have a couple of the smaller ones.

Eden, I saw that sedum Blackjack on a website. I have it on my wish list now.
    I have really enjoyed the spring flowers this year to. They seem to really do well this year. And once they started it seems there is always something else coming along too. Now my iris are blooming and the peonies are ready to start. Oh and several of the clematis are blooming too. Sugar Candy, Fireworks and Elsa Spath all have blooms. Elsa Spath is such a pretty color. I can never capture it on film though. My camera just doesn't pick up purples very well. I think I should plant Fireworks with Elsa Spath. I think they would be a pretty combo.

Michelle, I bought "Cobwebs" last year. I like it. I need to move it though. A evergreen sedum I planted is really spreading over everything in that area. I would like to do a trough or container with some of the sempervivum.
    My hostas are really kicking in and getting some size to them this year and I am really seeing the importance of giving things enough room to grow. Another thing I noticed in one of my beds where I had stuck the early purple iris here and there was that I had a nice drift of color there. I want to repeat that with a daylily. Maybe a white or yellow one that would blend well with any other plants that were blooming at the same time.
    I bet GG really enjoys having Kenzie.

Sue how did you handle the flight? You don't look green in the pictures. LOL

Five trees? OK who bought the most? I'm guessing Sue has more space to put them than Deanne.
    But Deanne could always hoik something. he he

Busy week ahead here. The floor guys are coming thurs, so I have some clearing out to do on top of everything else. Later, Norma

PS, Marian you are an enabler. I picked up clematis "Asao" the other day because I always admired your photos of it. Did you about get blowed away yesterday too?

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Ah, I see You two girls posted before I got mine up and answered my questions.
    Deanne thanks for posting those arieal(sp?) shots. They really intrique me. Especially knowing you took them.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Am I the first one up this morning? I doubt it, maybe the first on line though. I began May 1st with good intentions: treadmill, plants moved outside, clay pots located and moved outside onto the garden workbench for cleaning and maybe even planting later on. Now I really should get dressed and make breakfast for DH! There is tons of stuff to work on today and for the whole week actually!

Last night I was looking at the Fine Gardening container winners and discovered one of them was a nearby Canadian! Her town name was spelled wrong, so I guess I hadn't figured it out earlier. Anyway, it wasn't my favourite container at all....We'll see if I can do better. I guess maintaining them is the hardest part. I'm really a novice at this so I expect lots of help from you guys. How often do you fertilize them? With what? Who takes care of them when you are away visiting V in July??? ;-)

The birds have started making their noises at 4:30am. I know it is supposed to sound sweet, but I don't react that way at that hour.

The days really are longer now, so everyone should be able to fit in some garden pleasure at some point in their day! Enjoy!

'bug

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Good Morning all!
    Another lovely sunny morning, after more rain during the night, with t&l, but no wind or hail. Only 2/10ths this time. We got 2 and 1/2 inch saturday. The green is almost overwhelming! Lovely!

Michelle, Does that mean that mean that little Kensie will no longer be staying with you? You will miss her. Oh, I see she spent the night with you......What is her "GG house"?

Re: problems with GW. Saturday I had to take a really 'round-about way to get on this forum. Others would open , but not 'Perennials', When I finally got it to open, I replaced my bookmark with the newly opened page, and it has worked fine since.

Honey, that is good news about your deck. I hope it is many many years before you have any more problems with it.
    You are having a very busy time in and around your yard. It will all be so beautiful.
    Sorry that your DH and so many of your friends are having health problems. It is the same with my friends also. So much serious health disorders.

Marie, Your nursery experiences are so funny! ;-) I am thinking of taking a purchased plant to the cousin's wife that I encountered the other day. I'd hate to think any gardener wasn't going to buy 'any' plants this year. :-(
    It's so good to see spring bursting out in your neck of the woods. You are fortunate to have that lovely large asparagus. The deer have keep mine ate down until it hardly gets any size any more. I have managed to get a small 'mess' for Nolon and I, and hope to get at least a couple more.
    I was up at 6:30 but cook breakfast before reading/posting. My monitor has a problem, and has to warm up for a long time before the black streak goes away at the top, then it flickers an even longer time. I hope to get a new one before long.
    LOL on the bird sounds. I love them ( except the blue jays).

Lauren, How great to hear from you, and see your advancing autumn. In our part of the world we are burgeoning with fresh green growth, and spring flowers. I wish you had kept us up on the summer season there. Don't stay away so long.

Teresa, That is so weird...freezing weather for you so late in the season. I hope your drive to church was safe. The head of our driveway has a gully across it, but I navigated it okay with my little car.

RE:Heucheras, I may give up on them. They are not doing well here. I sure don't like the way they raise up out of the ground...with bare stems.I put new potting soil around them, but it still doesn't perk them up too much. Too bad, because them can be very pretty. It seems all WalMart gets in is the Palace Purples. Only rarely do I find any other variety.

Mary, I love your pic of Doug's airplane. And the group shots are great! I specially like the first with your children.... and the 'pot' holders...:-) I'm glad your DH got into one pic.

Happy birthday to Jenni. Eden, just wait until your children are in their late 40s, like my son. I don't know how he can be so old, when I am not !!!!! LOL

Deanne, I love your aerial scenes. I never succeeded in getting such good pics from a plane.

So great to hear that such a good time was had on the Sunday trip. Good weather, good friends, good food, and good shopping. What more could you want! And Sue didn't even get air sick!( Well. maybe a wee bit.)

Norma, hee hee, so I am an enabler.... I hope your Asao does well. It is my earliest bloomer, and I have 2 of them. One is in shade, the other filtered shade, and they bloom at the same time. Ooooo, I'd love to have a swing arbor.That is funny about the rose. Weigelas are very easy to root for me. I am trying to figure out where to plant the last one that is still in a pot. It is a pink one. I have both pink and red, and a 'dwarf' red, now I 'need' a variegated. :-)

More severe weather is in our forecast for later in the day.So far I don't think anyone is complaining about the rains...after the long drought we had. I just hope...no more hail. A dear friend had her yard damaged,(again), a week ago). It was severely damaged about 3 years ago,... now again. The community building close to her had the same 2 windows broke out that were broken in that previous storm.
    She must live in "hail storm alley"!

Okie doakie, I need to don my boots, and slog out to survey our yard.

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Deanne, I really enjoyed seeing the aerial pictures.

Marian, GG is what we call Great Gramma and GP is Great Poppa. These are my parents. Your yard sounds like mine pretty soggy. We have had over 2" as of Sunday morning. I didnt check this a.m. because I was busy getting Kenzie ready. It rained lightly all day yesterday.

Norma, youll have to post some pictures of all your spring bloom.

Bug, if I am gone a few days, I water well and set them where they will be shaded. If it is more than that I have someone stop by to water. I have also set them in the shade in a kiddie pool with a couple inches of water and they can draw up that way. It somewhat depends on what the weather forecast is. If you only have a few containers, you could sit them in the house, where they wouldnt dry out anymore than a houseplant. I usually water once a week with Miracle Grow. Id be interested in what others do.

Have a great day
    Michelle

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Zipping by to say I love seeing the Rochester group(hi Annie and David!) and the airborn pics(awesome)! You guys had a fabulous time;I know that even before I read the details: ) Poor Sue with the flying queasys-that must be so uncomfortable. I suspect you're worse in smaller aircraft? While you guys were having an enjoyable time I was sitting on my fannie at a track meet...and I bet I'm not exaggerating when I say the whole time you were visiting I was sitting on my fannie at a track meet(LOL).OK maybe a little; )

Michelle-I've been thinking of you as I see low pressure on the weather map rotating around you-I wish I could borrow some of that precip! While I love sun-right now I'd love a week of rain. So are you filling your rainbarrel?

Marian I hope the weather settles down for you too. It really is nice though to hear what you've got blooming so I know what to look forward to...assuming we get some needed rain.

Good to see you Lauren!! Thanks for the fall pics. I especially like that one of the grass plumes.
    It's kind of neat to see Lauren's fall followed by GB's spring.

Sorry to dash off again. I have some sewing to do. Hemming pants for my neighbor and I have a new project making a costume for the school musical. We're doing a very small musical and I just need to make a band conductor's suit jacket-easy. Almost in tears I want to be outside(gardening)so badly!

Ta~
    ~Babs

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Even though I don't like flying I really enjoyed your aerial pics Deanne. That's so great that you all had such an enjoyable afternoon together.

We had a nice lunch out at a french restaurant today to celebrate Jenni's birthday. The food was great but I won't describe it as I wouldn't be able to do justice to the great job Deanne always does describing food. We did have a great time though.

Marie, Last year I used a Miracle Gro on my container plants every two weeks but this year I'm going to shoot for every week. I've read where some people even do it twice a week with the tropicals. I just buy the little bags of powder and dump them into a hose end sprayer and water away. As far as watering goes if we're away I threaten my children with bodily harm if I come back to dying container gardens. So far that's worked, lol.

Marie, I'm so excited to hear that you're going to try your hand at container gardening. I know you will be great at it by the talent you show with the beautiful combos in your gardens. I can't wait to see what you do.

I was noticing today how dry the ground's getting here. We could use a good rain. The forecast calls for hit and miss showers and I bet they'll probably miss us. If so I'm going to have to drag out the sprinkler soon.

Hi Babs, hope you can whip up the jacket in short order so you can get out in the garden.

I had a chance to sit down and take a look at the Fine Gardening Container Gardening special edition this afternoon and I can't say that I was really too impressed with the ideas they had to offer. Guess I must be spoiled by what I see from all of you here.

Eden

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, I lined up all the pots I could find...some from the year '51 I'm sure! Now it becomes obvious what all the chatter about bargain containers was about last Fall. I need some bigger ones, but can't afford to spend another dime. I guess I'll have to think of something clever.

Today I cut back about 5-6 large wild maple clumps along the creek. I hate those things, they're weeds. I can't spray them or I'll poison the creek. All I can do is saw away each spring. DH had better not read this or he'll be annoyed. He thinks I should leave everything "natural". Then I planted a few perennials, a dicentra, a bergenia, some primulas, wallflowers and lupines. It is way too early, but gee, it is going to be above 40F at night all week they say. We'll see how it goes.

I also potted up a few things for the local plant sale: Aquilegia canadensis, white bleeding hearts, Jacob's ladder, sedum Bertram Anderson, Pulminaria, Artemisia Guizhou, Anthriscus Ravenswing and more to go another day.

Happy May Day!

{{gwi:151212}}

Viola Dancing Geisha
    {{gwi:156291}}

Charlotte waiting for me to hurry up-
    {{gwi:156292}}

And finally, those *%$#@!! red tulips where I don't want them!!!
    {{gwi:156293}}

Need to soak my tired bones now... Night night!
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good evening

Lovely pictures GB - Charlotte looks particularly good in profile!

Another perfect Spring day here, it was hard dragging myself into work. I actually love my job, but being inside in such lovely weather seemed a crime.

Eden - I hope Jenni had a good birthday and your lunch sounds fun. Annie will turn 13 in ten days time - I'm having trouble believing I'm soon to be the mother of a teenager so in no way can I imagine what having a 27 year old is like.

By the way, Annie and David and DH really enjoyed our company on Sunday and everyone has been asking when we can see them again. In fact David has announced he's going to come to IU3!!!! - anyone want to share a room with a 9 year old boy LOL!

Sue - I'm glad you took that Dramamine on the way to the airport!

Babs - the track meets sound even longer than little league games! I was chuckling about sitting on your fanny (for us Brits it has a very different meaning). How is Ryan holding up? I bet the jacket will be a piece of cake. When do you find out more about Ryan's eye?

Marian - I didn't know you suffered from hail storms. I've read Lauren Springer's articles about hail resistant plants as hail is a frequent occurance in the mountain states. The idea of fresh spring growth being shredded is dispiriting. I'll hope for some gentle rain for you instead.

I've been thinking a lot about Bruce and hoping all is OK. Maybe Taryn will give us an update soon.

Well, I still have one more round of plants to to before sitting down for the evening. My treasures from Deanne are already tucked up for the night in the garage, but I still need to close the cold frame and bring a few tenders inside.

By the way Deanne - how often should I feed my Fuschia? Do you do a weekly liquid feed? I've become the custodian of the most beautiful plants and I'm determined to keep them looking fine. My pots are a rather motley crew so I might splash out on something to do them justice.

Have a good evening

Mary

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Oh, but GB they are making a statement.

I barely stuck a foot outside all day. I was clearing out the kitchen-dining-living area for the floor guys on thursday. DH was home today so I told him I wouldn't mind pulling the fridge out and wipeing up so I wouldn't be totaly embarrased when they moved it. Then that led to doing under the stove. Both places were gross. How fun :(P
    Also had to do the pantry and utility closet because they will have to get in there too. At least my pantry is reorganized and now I can see what I have in there. I will not need to buy paper plates-plastic cups or plastic utensils for at least two years LOL.
    I am tuckered plum out tonite. Housework is way more tiring than gardening.
    We have another storm coming in so I'm outa here for now. Norma

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Evening all,

Well I had a busy, busy day starting with the gym, watering all the plants indoors and out. Things outside are all dry as dust again. The weather people are predicting rain here for tomorrow and Wednesday and I surely hope they are correct. Michelle, I sure wish we had some of your rain.

I spent the afternoon outside and finished hoiking the things I wanted our of the third tier of the terrace garden then got that all mulched. Then I cleaned the back side of the hill and the right side of the shed then got that all mulched. Doug got home from work and helped me switch out the compost bins and I had a couple lovely carts full of compost. I spread that over the shade area next to the shed in hopes the Astilboides tabularis will enjoy the extra boost and grow into a spectacular specimen this year. I also gave that area a nice coating of Starbucks coffee grinds so there is lots of good stuff for the plants. The soil in that location was so lean and rocky when we started out that it can use all the help I can give it.

Bug, lovely pics. Love the grape hyacinths. I LOL when I saw the pic with the red tulips. I took a pic of mine today too to share with you.
    {{gwi:156296}}
    So now there are two of them instead of one. Ive tried for four years now to dig them out and all I succeed in doing is pulling the leaves off. So if Im pulling the leaves off how did it multiply??? Go figure. ~~ Last year I watered my containers every morning and gave them a ½ dose of liquid feed once a week. I also would pinch the plants and groom them every third day. When I go out of town DD comes and stays overnight to take care of the plants for me. The first time of each season I have to walk her around the garden and make sure she knows where they all are. Shes a real trooper and does a great job. Much better than Doug I might add. He always seems to kill something when I depend on him to water for me.

Eden, I agree with you about the FG Container Gardening special. Nothing there that gave me the Ive got to do this feeling. ~~ I also agree that I need to do more spring blooming bulbs etc. I didnt plant even one bulb last fall and Im now wishing Id taken the time. I was a bit burned out after the two garden tours last summer and didnt accomplish a thing after July.

Babs, I sure hope you get your indoor projects finished soon so you can get outside in the garden. ~~ I sure hope you like track meets. ~~ RE coleus and cold tolerance. They seem to do OK in the fall with quite low temps but I have problems when bringing them out in the spring. Mine really seem to resent the cold as well as the extra light levels. It seems to take forever to harden them off and they always look a bit bedraggled by the time I pot them out in their permanent locations. I wish I had a better way to harden them off.

Marian, my heucheras heave up out of the ground also and I wind up digging them up and setting them back down so the crowns of the plants are level with the soil. It seems to rejuvenate them. ~~ It is much easier to get shots from an airplane when you are in a small plane and low to the ground. Ive never gotten any good ones from commercial flights.

Norma, I only bought two trees yesterday and I have absolutely NO idea where Im going to put them. LOL I dont even know if they are hardy to zone 5 so I might just keep them in containers and put them in the garage over winter. ~~ BTW I emailed you from the GW link last week and havent heard back from you so Im assuming you didnt get my email either.

Mary, you sure got some great pictures!!! I especially love the one with the guys and the trees. Just tooo funny. What a great time we had yesterday. Thanks again for the lovely day! So happy to hear your family enjoyed our company as much as we enjoyed theirs. Your DH has promised me a lesson in PhotoShop the next time we visit and I plant to take him up on it. ~~ Yes I do a liquid feed weekly for my fuchsia. I've found they grow like crazy and really need the feed. If it looks like they are ramping up for some heavy blooming I'll even do them twice a week and they seem to enjoy the extra feed.

HI Honey, sounds like you are getting a lot accomplished lately. I LOL about plants on wheels. Im doing a lot of that myself this year. So sorry something ate your new heuchera. What a bummer! ~~ So what does Bullet think of 40 pots of dahlias in his kitchen? Ill bet he is a bit miffed about your using his space. ~~ Congratulations to you and DH on your continued dedication to a more healthy diet and lifestyle. It is not easy to maintain but so worth it. You just cant go buy a package of good health.

T!! I simply cant believe it was 31 degrees there yesterday AM. Holy cow, that is colder than it was here. That must be very unusual for you there. ~~ So sorry the woodpeckers are still at it. That must be making you crazy.

Lauren, nice hearing from down under. How strange to see your fall photos when we are taking pictures of tulips and spring blooming trees here.

So here is my gorgeous plant stake Michelle made for me and sent with the geraniums. Isnt it lovely?
    {{gwi:156297}}

Here are a couple spring pics from today.
    {{gwi:156298}}

Im in love with Sambucus Sutherland Gold. Just look at all the buds on it this year.
    {{gwi:156299}}

The Golden Hops Vine is pretty contented in its container. Ill see how it does over the summer.
    {{gwi:156300}}

{{gwi:156302}}

I love this Brunnera variegata even though it isnt as vigorous a plant as Jack Frost those blue flowers with that variegated foliage knock me out
    {{gwi:156303}}

The dogwood is really looking nice this year.
    {{gwi:156304}}

OK I think Ive covered everything. Time for me to get some shut eye. Have a great evening all
    Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I heard that we had 7.49" of rain during the month of April. I would say that we are well watered. This evening the sky finally cleared, although there is a slight chance of storms tomorrow night. It is supposed to get to 80 tomorrow. I worked outside this evening, but not in the beds.

Funny, but I have 1 red tulip also. Mine isnt in bloom, but I can see by the bud that it is the one red one. I was surprised by all the tulips that are coming up. I always forget what I plant in the fall.

Deanne, what lovely pictures. The golden hops is a pretty vine. I take it that it is aggressive. Great picture of Sutherland Gold I think Im really going to love that and the Rhus Tiger Eyes They are the closest I will probably get to a Japanese maple.

bug, thanks for the beautiful May day wishes.

Eden, I hope Jenni enjoyed her birthday. My DS turned 24 on April 12. I thought that was unbelievable too.

Ei, I just noticed new growth on the questionable dahlia. Woo hoo.

Oh Mary, how extra sweet that David would want to spend time with all us old fogies.

Norma, what kind of flooring are you getting?

I'll leave you with a few shots.

{{gwi:156305}}

H. 'Keylime Pie' I'm loving this one. What a bright spot in the spring garden.
    {{gwi:156306}}

{{gwi:156307}}

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all,

It is a raw and windy day, 45 degrees and raining. Yea! (Can you believe I said that?)We really needed this and it is looking like we are going to get a good soaking rain today so that is a good thing. I guess I'm going to have to paint today. LOL

Michelle, I love your garden with the paths and the benches. I agree, that H. 'Keylime Pie' is a real winner. How long have you had it? I'm wondering if it is more vigorous than 'Amber Waves'. I sure hope so. I think I need to run out and get that plant. LOL Is that H. KlP in the photograph next to the bench and what are the two purple plants next to it. I love that combination. Strong contrasts like that really appeal to me. It really does look like a spotlight in those gardens. ~~ So do you have a photo of your random red tulip??? I'm curious now as to how many of us have the 'Random Red Tulip Syndrome' or RRTS for short.

So I'd forgotten about this pic I took on Sunday, I know Sue said she wasn't air sick but what do you guys think?
    {{gwi:156308}}

OK I guess I'd better get my day started. Have a great day everyone.

Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Ho, ho, ho...very funny, Deanne...lol. Did I tell you I hate you because you can grow Sutherland Gold that well? I wish we were predicted to get a good soaking rain here-just showers for us. It's so dry my mouth feels like it's been stuffed with cotton every morning when I wake up-just like winter only worse.

Ah, spring is here-the idylls are posting luscious garden pictures again!

Sue

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Yargh! Deanne , how could you do that to Sue! LOL!
    But I am glad you are getting rain. We got a light shower during the night, and more in the forecast. Sure wish some of it would rub off onto those who need it.....spacially Sue ( maybe it would wash that color off of her face, Smile ).

• just_t
    17 years ago

Oh poor Sue!!! How miserable you must have felt! :oD

Very funny Deanne, good for you to think of it. (oh, glad the card had gotten there, thank you again).

Michelle, your potage garden looks lovely (did I get that spelt right and identified which garden it is?).

'Bug thanks for the May day pics.

It was another frosty morning....29 degrees. The pasture is still covered in frosty white......looks pretty.

Yesterday I finally ordered some material/mulch to finish off the new curvy beds and continue the work in the backyard. I bought 12 yards, I hope that is sufficient to do all I wish to do and not too much. I'm sure I can find places to put it if it is too much for the beds.....I have all those pots I bought last year although I hadn't planned on doing any annuals/containers this year (money going other places). They will deliver tomorrow and I'll see just how big of a pile 12 yards is......... LOL.

Our frosty mornings should be done soon. I cannot remember when the last frost usually is....I think mid-May is the latest we usually get them and they begin again in mid September. Today looks to be clear & dry....weekend expecting rain, so I guess I'd better get outside today and work on some edging & mowing. :oP

Hope it is a good one for everyone!

T.

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

LOLOL, Deanne. Sue, it sounds like you felt exactly as Deanne depicted! Wow, what a great time you guys had. Great pix. Mary, I can't believe Annie looks so much older than the last photos you posted! What a cutie. And David! He really sprouted, too!

We just had a minor drizzle but it was dried up already. I'd sure like to take some of Michelle and Marian's rain off their hands.

the deck guy finished up yesterday and we're real pleased with the job. He used the 4x6's from the front raised bed and huge bolts for the new supports. We could probably drive a car over it and it would be fine. In a way, it's good it will last quite a few more years and save us some bucks. Then again, I would love to do a patio with a stream alongside and a small pond. But I keep telling myself that I need a kitchen first!

I been trying to figure out what to do with the tulips I need to dig up this week. I think I'm going to put them in pots leaving the foliage on, label them and sink them in the back of my garden until fall and replant. I also need to move some creeping phlox out of the way but haven't a clue where to put it now or later.

I, too, am starting to think about containers. I'm really taken with Copperleaf plant (Acalypha wilkesiana macafeana) and bot 3 of them. Here's a pic from the IA U site:

{{gwi:156309}}

Thot it would look great with Dahlia Autumn Fairy and coleus Stainglass Copper.

Deanne, yes, Bullet looks at my rack of plants in the kitchen with utter disgust, puts his head down and mumbles to himself as he walks away just like a little ole man. Thanks for the diet encouragement. We needed a kick in the patootie to get us going again.

Sue, I'm so glad you were able to find a good home for Kenzie.

Eden, I can't believe you actually have "holes" in your garden where you could squeeze in some bulbs, lol!

Well, my day is slipping away from me. Hi to all. My pea-picken' lil brain can't remember more specifics. Gotta go move more plants, vacuum and do something with the inside of this house for a change. TTYL,

Honey

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Deanne, I can't believe you did that!

I'm still alive and will try a longer post later, but I can't stop chuckling over Sue's pic.

V.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

We had sunshine this a.m., but it has clouded over again. The chance of rain was 20%. We need to dry up here. Rick hasnt been in the field yet and hes getting antsy.

Deanne, those arent Keylime Pie. They are Lamium maculatum Aurea. Another great chartreuse colored plant. The purple plants are just heuchera Purple Palace. I have had KLP since last summer, but it grew very vigorously and all 4 came thru the winter looking great. They are well ahead of all the other heucheras except maybe the purple palaces. The lower right hand corner shows the Amber Waves that I just planted. That bare area is where I dug out a large peony that just didnt get enough sun.
    Maybe Sue is green with envy over Deannes Sutherland gold. LOL

This is actually the first garden that I planted. I think that it needs a little revamping. T, it isnt the potager, I call it the Perennial garden just because those were the first perennials that I planted. The potager will be more veggies and right now is a weedy mess. It has just been too muddy to work in there.

T, I usually keep a pile of mulch in the barn just because there always seems to be somewhere to use it.

Honey, Ive been eyeing that copper leaf plant on PW website. They used it in quite a few containers.

Later
    Michelle

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Good one Deanne, that was too funny. Good thing Sue's a good sport!

I just got chased in by the rain. I'm not complaining though, we really need it and I did get Arnold Promise and Jelena planted this morning.

Michelle, I just love the garden stake you sent to Deanne. It's perfect for her garden and she'll always think of you when she sees it. It's important to me to have plants and ornaments in my gardens that remind me of the people in my life, past and present. Also love the pic of your garden. I like the closeup pictures of plants but my favorites are always the ones of garden views.

Honey, that's exactly why I'm wanting more bulbs. Spring is the only time I DO have bare spots in my garden, when all of the hostas and other plants are still small. That's great news that your deck repairs turned out so well. Can'w wait to see the container combo you described when you get it together.

T, wow, 12 yards is alot. I ordered 6 one year and never thought I'd get through spreading it all. You're going to be able to fit lots of cool plants into beds that big. I'm envious!Hard to believe it's still so cold at your place.

Marie, love the picture of Charlotte so patiently waiting for you. It's always nice to have that company when gardening. Bud does the same here and I'd sure miss him if he wasn't nearby when I'm out there. It would seem so much lonelier somehow. Dogs are great companions.

Mary, I think that's so sweet that David wants to attend Idyllunion with you this summer.

I'll contribute a few shots of plants from my garden that caught my eye this morning...

{{gwi:150332}}

{{gwi:150334}}

Bamboo and the mayapple grove

{{gwi:150363}}

My favorite brunnera, Looking Glass

{{gwi:150339}}

Variegated Leucasceptrum that Sue talked me into when we were at Variegated Foliage last summer. I think I'm going to really love this plant.

{{gwi:156311}}

This is Syneilesis palmata, shredded umbrella plant.

{{gwi:156314}}

Eden

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Deanne-too funny! Sorry Sue LOL. Glad you guys had a great time at Mary's place. Great photos of the event. Deanne, what Japanese maples did you get? Hubby and I were up in northern MA on Sunday moving wooden liners and digging trenches for the liners. My allergy symptoms were off the chart when I got home-we were in the woods with all the pollen-need I say more?

Lovely spring pictures everyone.

Sue, I used to have my Sambucus Sutherland Gold in an area that was too sunny and dry; it was also on a slight slope so the water ran off too quickly. Once I finally planted one in a spot with some late afternoon/evening shade, level ground so the water would not drain away quickly, the plant does much better. Mine is about to bloom and is getting larger. I probably just jinxed myself though...

Eden, Brunnera 'Looking Glass' is my favorite also. I like that Leucasceptrum Sue talked you into.

Some of you have mentioned and shown your photos of the small Dicentras and Corydalis. I've tried multiple times and cannot grow them. For corydalis, I've planted lutea, ochroleuca, the blue ones-they either die w/n a few weeks or don't come back. Any advice-maybe I need better draining soil?

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Been immersed in many things - more later - but have to say, Sue -- if it had been me in a small plane, I truly would have looked like Deanne's photo - i DO turn green on airplanes & other modes of transportation if I don't wear a transderm-patch.... eek! At least you're smiling thru it all!! LOL.

Lovin' the Spring Gallery --
    Monique I can't believe there are plants you've been unable to grow.... that is encouraging for the rest of us!!

I am really loving this Spring this year -- my tulips have held up for over 3 weeks - I think that's a record. I've got the first clematis (President, Josephine, Niobe) blooming, iris & a couple of early peonies -- it's enuf to make me a veeeeryyyy happy woman......

check in later.
    -cindy (in lurk mode).

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Ah, it's great to be green, huh? lol

Actually, I felt fine for all but the last couple of minutes of the return trip.

Eden, glad that Leucosceptrum turned out to be hardy for you. I've got two and both are looking good. My Syneilesis look healthy this year too. Lost the fancy Mayapple though...Where in the world did you find room for two Witchhazels?

Monique you need more shade for the Corydalis-or at least to get a few established. After that they seed all over. My Sutherland Gold is actually all of about 4 inches tall right now and struggling. I moved it into part sun a few weeks ago. It may be best to just start with a new healthy plant.

Made my first greenhouse run today. This guy prides himself on finding the most unusual stuff he can at his wholesaler (who I also shop from on the retail side) and then showing it to me. Today he asked me about the Senecio I bought and I told him I had to research it and I would get back to him.

Here's my contribution to the spring pictures...Fothergilla gardenii and friends.

{{gwi:150351}}

Sue

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

We've been having a nice steady gentle rain here all afternoon which is just what we needed. I love how in spring when it's raining you can almost see the plants growing. I was checking what's going on with the seeds I sowed a couple of weeks ago and the ricinus, hyacinth beans and ornamental millets are up and growing. I tried something new this year and used the wintersowing method with them but threw them in the greenhouse. I usually grow these under lights which is much more high maintenance so I was really happy to see that this worked.

Deanne, I forgot to tell you that I did check the temps in the greenhouse the other night. It got down to 30F outside and bottomed out at 45F in the greenhouse. I've been checking it in the mornings when I open it up the last few days and by the time I get out there around 8-9am it's been up to 70F, but that's with the nights staying in the high 40s.

Sue, Oh I don't like hearing that you lost your fancy podophyllum. I've had Kaleidoscope on back order from Plant Delights since last year and just got an email yesterday that it's been shipped. Fill us in on Senecio. I don't know of that plant. I got a few new (to me) tropicals last weekend, a golden pineapple sage, a variegated salvia called Dancing Flame, a phormium called terracotta and a green and yellow variegated sweet potato vine that I hadn't run across before. I think I'm going to try to hold off on planting my tropical containers until later in May this year. Last year I did it earlier and they just seemed to sit and languish and even decline in the cooler early May temps, especially at night.

My Sambucus sutherland gold is doing ok this year. Last year it ended up taller on one side than the other so I pruned it back pretty severely this spring to get it evened out. It's probably about 2 1/2-3 ft. now but doesn't have as many buds as Deanne's. Deanne, yours is looking spectacular!

Hi Cindy, I wondered where you had gotten off to? I'm glad you took a moment to check in.

Martie must be busy getting her new gardens going. Marty, if you're reading I picked up a lemon verbena last weekend due to your influence. Let us know how the gardens are shaping up when you get a chance.

I've rambled on enough here. Guess that comes from being stuck inside because of the rain. If I don't spend my time here on the Idylls I'll have to go clean something, lol.

Eden

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Hiya Idylls.

Monique, I hear ya! I had to get some Visine Allergy and have been taking Benedryl. My eyes are so itchy, I cant decide if I need new make-up or if the allergies are from pollen. Bot new make-up anyway.

Eden, I also prefer Looking Glass to Jack Frost. I bot another one a couple weeks ago b/c the first didnt make it. Arent you lovin this fabu drenching rain!!! The garden is just drinking it all in and lovin it!

Rant, rant, rant. Well, Im just furious! We decided to pay a hi-end local nursery to design a landscape plan for the front of the house after the new meandering walkway was installed. I was not confident I could do it and have it turn out well. What I wanted was good "bones" that I could compliment with perennials and annuals and have it be a dynamite design. Of course I had ideas, made a list, told him and he didnt listen! Well, Im wrestling with trying to contain myself. Geez, Louise. What a bust!

I dont want to tear this guy a new one, but I told him I hate Yews! So what was sprinkled throughout the design Yews! I gave him a list of plants I like and wanted to use. He put sun plants where they wouldnt get any sun, ie, a Virbunium, Weigiela, etc.! I wanted a Bloodgood Japanese Maple -- it wasnt in the plan. I told him I wanted -- and on and on. You get the picture. He also suggested adding Vinca under the pine tree. Guess what Vinca was there and wont live in that environment. Further, he wants me to pay him to plant hostas in front!!!!!). I have given away clumps of the same hes proposing.

I walked him thru my garden, and identified stuff I have and could transplant. Hello did you pay attention?! I must be the client from hell. Im even thinking of going to the nursery near Eden for an alternative bid. Ill be darned if Ill pay for crapola.

Perhaps I should get Monique and Les, Sue or Deanne to design a plan. Or perhaps I need to calm down. What a disappointment! And for all that money. Ennyhoo, thats whats up in my world. I feel like such a schmuck!

Hi Cindy. Great to hear from you. BTW, I also had Sutherland's Gold on my list as well as Black Lace. GRRRRRR. Maybe I do need a new designer. Or perhaps that person is me!

Honey

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Honey, that is just awful. Jeez, if I was designing a garden, I would love to have a client's input as long as the plants fit the location/conditions. Less decisions to make. Did you have to pay for the plan upfront? If so, maybe you can complain and get some money back since he didn't listen to you. Or, make him redo the design encorporating all of your suggestions. BTW, I've seen photos of your garden and you have great design sense.

Sue, what greenhouse did you go to and who is the wholesaler/retailer you mentioned? You know I love to go garden shopping and an endorsement from you means a lot.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Evening all,

Well, well, well, what a wonderful abundance of gorgeous spring pics. So much eye candy. I just love it. ~~ Just for the record, Sue really was NOT air sick. I just couldnt help myself. So, the deal is I have to run like heck if I ever see Sue point a camera at me again. Ive heard paybacks can be really awful.

Honey, what a huge bummer about the garden design mess. Did you already pay for it or can you fire this person? What about canceling the check if you did pay for it. The designer didnt do his job, did not do as you requested and you should not be obligated to pay for something that isnt what you asked for. Seems like a zipper-head to me. ~~ Love the Acalpha.

Eden, I absolutely love all your photos. It looks like Im going to have to get that dicentra.~~ I completely agree with you about how fast things seem to grow when it rains in the spring.~~ Glad to hear that your seeds are up and doing well in the greenhouse. I never did get any seeds going this year and really wanted to see if I could get those Cleome Linde Armstrong to germinate again this year. ~~ Thanks for the information about the greenhouse temps. I really do NEED one of those. ~~ RE Sutherland Gold, mine was a bit lopsided also and I pruned it to three feet or so as well. We must have been thinking alike when we had our pruners in hand. ~~ That phormium is really nice. I think I need to get that! LOL

Sue, gorgeous combination. What are those blue mounds??? I love the fothergilla against the foliage of the JM. PS, what is it that Kermit the Frog says, It isnt easy being green. LOL

Monique, I cant grow corydalis either. Ive tried more times than I care to think about. ~~ I bought Acer palmatum dissectum 'Viridis' and I dont have the other tag handy but will let you know tomorrow. I was strictly going by Boy isnt this a pretty one so dont remember the name but Ill bet Sue or Mary would remember. ~~ OK now it looks like Im going to need Brunnera Looking Glass too.

Michelle, thanks for the ID on the Lamium and the information about KLP. I definitely am going to have to get that plant.

V. I cant believe I did that either. I think my evil twin must have taken over my brain for a bit.

OK time for me to hit the sack,
    Nitey night,
    Deanne

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

I'm drooling on my keyboard. Lots of neat plants. And pretty gardens.

Deanne I did get your email, sorry, I just haven't gotten around to recomposing my email to you.

Michelle,we are getting hardwood(distressed hickory) and dura ceramic tile.
    I love your garden area and that stake you made Deanne is so neat.

I'm wiped out tonite so will have to comment more another time. Norma

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Deanne, Monique, the deal with the landscape design is that it's an upfront flat fee that can be applied to the plant material used. I might just get some plants and fire the guy.

We wanted the relandscaping done by professionals for several reasons: they have the equip. to get the regrading needed right; the muscle and equip. to remove alot of the clay soil which is like absolute concrete; and trucks to haul away the old soil and plants. Also, we want good sized plants and it would take us old folks forever to tear out and replant ourselves. Plus we'd need at least a 55 gal. drum of Biofreeze, lol.

I guess I'm so disappointed b/c the design was so hum-drum. There was no punch. He didn't even take advantage of the little courtyard by the front porch which is a nice architectural feature that could be enhanced. He only used one evergreen -- a weeping spruce in the corner (my idea)-- the rest of the plants were deciduous with no winter interest or color.

Perhaps I'm the client from H***. I'm just going to have to decide what to do next.

Thanks, Monique, for your comment on my design sense. I think I have that, just not the depth of knowledge of shrubs and trees to come up with a dynamite plan.

Well, instead of sitting up half the nite thinking about this, I'm going to get some shut-eye and go to the book store in the am and do some research. Thanks, you guys. I appreciate the support. 'Nite.

Honey

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Good Morning, The birds ard singing so loud this morning they woke me up. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day. The rains gone and we're supposed to get into the 70s later today. I have Bella the rest of the week thru Saturday. Jenni usually takes her on Saturdays but she's on a flight to Richmond Va this morning and will be gone for 2 weeks. She's opening a new store in the airport there for Caribou. I got an email last night that my Brent and Becky's order has finally been shipped. It's mostly cannas and dahlias so I've been anxiously awaiting it so I can get those started. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow. The garden looks great this morning due to all the rain we got last night. I love this time of year. All the plant foliage looks so fresh.

Honey, That's too bad that this designer did such a disappointing job. Did you get to see examples of some of his work beforehand? I would think that a designer would have a particular style that you could see from his previous projects. I think you could do this design yourself with no problem. Your back garden design is beautiful! Maybe you could do the design and then hire out the heavy work to be done. You're not the client from h***, you're a creative gardener who wants a beautiful front garden, not just some unimaginative cookie cutter landscape design.

Monique, I can't grow corydalis either. I've tried a few times. They just fade away. I don't think they like my clay soil. I do have a couple of the small dicentras though, Luxuriant and King of Hearts. I'd love to see some pics of your spring garden, hint, hint.

Time to get things started around here. I've got lot's to accomplish today, as always. Have a great day everyone.

Eden

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all, it is another 48 degree morning with rain predicted. I don't think the temps are going to go much higher than this for the day but I won't complain becauuse we really needed all the rain we can get. We are down by 5" for the year so far so even if it rained like this for a week we'd just be catching up.

HOney, I'd fire the guy. If this person is so uninspired that the only good idea he came up with was one you gave him I don't think he is going to come up with anything better the next time around. It totally sounds to me that he only put plants in the design that the nursery wants to get rid of. Monique is 100% correct - you DO have great design sense. I think it is time to put your superior intellect to the problem. I'd bet you will come up with a superb design that will please you more than anything this person would do. YOu can always ask questions about different shrubs/trees on the forums here. There are so many who are really knowledgeable. You are not the client from H *** you are a clilent who isn't getting what she paid for.

Norma, no worries, I was just wondering if you'd gotten the email.

Monique the tag on the other maple I bought says it is Acer palmatum Van de aker but when I Googled it it doesn't look anything like the pics on my search so I'm afraid it is mislabeled. It looks like Sue's Villa Taranto. I thought at the time they looked alike. Who knows? I now have a mystery maple.

OK I have to run, today is my marathon day with three dr's appointments and the cable guy is somehow supposed to be here between them. I can't see that happening but one never knows.

Later all,
    Deanne

BTW, question for all the compost queens out there. Have you ever put coffee grinds directly on the garden??? The used Starbucks grinds are now coming with a label for composting with instructions for recommended use, of all things, and they do say you can put them directly on the garden on nitrogen loving plants. I gave that a whirl on my hostas and I'll see how they like it.

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Honey, when your at the bookstore look for these books:
    Front Yard Gardens, Growing More Than Grass by Liz Primeau and Tauton's Front Yard Idea Book by Jeni Webber. I used them both when we were putting in our front garden a few years ago. Both have some great ideas to inspire you.

Deanne, I get Rubbermaid tubs of coffee grounds from Caribou to spread on my gardens. I once asked Janet Macunovich, the garden guru in these parts, about using them during a soil class I took from her. She said they were great for your garden soil. I spread them on a tarp and let them dry out before I use them. It makes it easier to spread a thin layer that way and they will tend to mold if you spread them too thickly. I've read that there may be some benefit from them in detering slugs too. I don't think that's been proven but when it comes to slugs I'll try just about anything. I know that the earthworms just love them. I'll be thinking of you today while you're doing the Drs. appts. It'll be good to get those behind you.

Eden

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good morning

Such much lovely green here in our Spring pics - including Sue on the plane LOL! I'm with everyone who've commented on how much they've enjoyed their spring flowers.

Honey - many designers would learn from YOU - your back garden is as gorgeous as any I've seen. I'm hoping you'll give the front a go yourself. There must be laborers/contractors available to hire for the heavy/schlep work. You are such a superb organizor you could easily direct operations and get to enjoy tree shopping and the creative part.

Deanne - hope your multiple Dr's visits go well today. We too need rain, but Sunday's weather has continued and I'm enjoying it too much to complain.

Eden - its wonderful the way your family are helping raise Bella together - what a lucky little girl she is to spend time with so many loving relatives!

I think today will be a good day - I have a lunch date with Hub - he has an appointment near work and we're going to meet at mid-day. Even though DH works from home when not travelling, to have lunch together during the week is VERY rare!

Still hoping for news of Bruce and a quick word from some of the missing Idylls.

Have a good day everyone

Mary

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Good morning all wow, Honey, how maddening & disappointing I guess thats a hard lesson to really check on someones work and references before giving them money for even a consultation, uh? My blood pressure would be in Danger Zone after getting something like that from him!!! I concur from what Ive seen of your gardens that you have a great sense I imagine though you were hoping to pay for some "inspired" ideas perhaps something you had not thought of, that might be more unusual, right? I concur with Eden that the 2 books she mentions has worlds of ideas as well as the Outside the Not So Big House (that Ive peeked at) so maybe you will get your inspiration from those as well....

Re sambucus I managed to get the Black Lace last summer and mine is all of about 8 inches tall but it sure is lovely my contribution to the "japanese maple" look since it takes more sun than most of the j.m.s can take in my area in full sun. But Im looking forward to it growing a lot this year (I hope).

Thats interesting to hear about the coffee grinds, Eden I have used them on my garden (particularly azaleas) but did not really feel I saw any particular difference I found I could gather my grinds (in combination with leftover tea leaves/bags) for a week (without them starting the mold) and throw them out into the garden. If nothing else, I think they may help lighten the soil.

Ive managed to grow several dicentra but have not tried the corydalis because from what I had read they require a lot of shade (& moisture?) so I figured w/ so little shade in my gardens Id be throwing good money out the window but they sure are pretty!! So delicate, like so many of the "woodland" things. On my wish list if I ever achieve more shade in the gardens!

Eden I love the look of that Variegated Leucasceptrum looks like a good purchase! Your garden is looking lovely

Michelle I love your garden paths lined with stones really enchanting.

Hope the allergy sufferers feel better Ive got em too & take a prescrip for them but discovered it makes me feel tired, so its not so great but on the other hand, if my allergies get out of hand without it, I get vertigo from my ears filling up, which is even worse that puts me out of commission for days! A no-win situation allergies are, arent they?

I broke out the hose last nite to water some things because its so dry here too and it actually hit 79 degrees no rain mention til maybe Friday, so things really need a "hit" I forgot to mention that Ive got a pretty new clematis Matka Siedliska blooming (planted last fall) its got huge blooms twining thru a Viking Queen rose thats getting ready to "pop" so many things are blooming now its hard to know what to photograph!!

Have a great day, everyone.

-Cindy (wishing she were in the garden doing green things)

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

Yesterday my German Shepherd was barking wildly and I looked outside to see what was bothering him so much. I saw a lot of flying insects so I opened the door & listened. There were thousands of bees swarming. I brought the dog inside and grabbed my camera. My DH & DD are highly allergic to bees so we view them with some trepidation. We do have a cedar tree, not far from the front of the house, where a colony was living since last year. The colony emptied in mass amounts last year when DH was using the tractor and brush hog nearby. We knew we needed to get them to move on soon, if possible.

When I saw the swarm I had hoped it was the 'Cedar Tree Bees' heading out to find a new home. I took my photos of the swarming bees and decided to watch for a bit.

When we were feeding the animals last night, I walked towards the home of the Cedar Tree Bees (sounds like an exclusive club when I write it like that and I'm being a bit 'odder than normal' this morning). I was showing DH where the bees had been swarming earlier in the day and WOW! There they were! Thousands of bees all in a lump on my rose bush. The 'lump' is about the size and shape of a football. I walked over to the cedar tree and no activity there at all. Hmmmmmm. I got my camera (of course) and took some photos.

This morning, 33 degrees, the Cedar Tree Swarm is still congregated on the rose bush and there was no activity at the cedar tree. I took some foam insulation (the kind that you dispense from an aerosole can) and filled the entrance to the Cedar tree. I feel badly closing up the entrance to the Cedar Tree hive as there is probably still a queen, some workers & some drones in there, but I'd feel much worse if my DH or DD were stung by the bees and died (DD carries a bee sting kit but DH is too macho--I'd love to thump him over his foolishness on this subject, but that is another story).

I'm hoping that the entire colony has swarmed and left the Cedar Tree hive....but after reading on line, it sounds more like the colony has spit. I'm hoping that the swarm/colony that is on the rose bush will move far enough away from the house that they will not be considered a danger to DH & DD. Honey bees are too important and I do want them to stay on our property, just not so close to the house and outbuildings.

Here is the swarm......kind of hard to see them, just look for dots on the photos:

{{gwi:156316}}

{{gwi:156318}}

and here is the swarm clustered on the rose bush:

{{gwi:156319}}

{{gwi:156320}}

From what I've read this morning. There are a few scout bees out and about, looking for a new site appropriate for their hive. I ran outside and removed the lids from my 2 new compost bins. The bins are round, with ventilation holes and a solid lid.....it sounded a little too close to a 'nice' home for some scout bee to come across. ;o) I'm hoping to keep an eye out and watch when they begin to move to their new location.....I'd like to know which direction they head and I hope they don't use one of our outbuildings. Hopefully there is a very nice tree or stump, far away from the areas where we visit, where they will set up housekeeping. :o)

Today my mulch is to be delivered! I'm excited to get moving on the project again.

Hello to all!

T.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls!

Well, what a pleasant visit to the Idylls this a.m.! You guys had me laughing and smiling all the way through...what fun pics!

I knew Deanne was feeling her oats as soon as I saw that pic of her holding the little maple tree! You looked so cute and what a mischievous look on your face..."Psst...Mary...look at this little maple...isnt it lovely?" "What?!?...smuggle it on the plane, Moi?!?...*Never*!" LOL! Youre too funny! Loved all the beautiful pics of your spring garden and your Sutherland Gold is doing wonderfully! I hacked mine way back last fall and much to my relief, is also doing well this spring. Its a gorgeous shrub and Im very happy with it too!

Thank you Mary for sharing the pics of your get together. It was wonderful to see all your smiling faces and it looks as if fun was had by all. :-)

Really enjoyed the spring walk through Maries garden too. The unfurling fronds on your Maidenhair fern were wonderful to see...nature is just astounding, isnt it? BTW, is that Bruces White phlox divaricata in the one pic with the grape hyacinths? What a gorgeous picture. I just planted Bruces White in my garden last year and they are still very teeny tiny plants, but one managed to flower and the flower looks very similar to those in your pic, so Im hoping yours is p. divaricata too. If it is, I am in for a real treat when my plants mature!

Marian so glad you are feeling better dear friend! :-) I can hear the laughter in your voice and the smile on your face and it warms my heart! BTW, dont forget to let me know what you want to do with the myosotis...i.e. plants/seed, now or in the fall.

Babs sorry to hear Ryans physical was worrisome. Like Marie, I also have a lazy eye (which the doctors didnt treat), but I have been lucky in that it has not affected my vision. Most of the time I dont even notice it, but if I am over tired, I do lose control of the muscles in that eye, which is more embarrassing than troublesome. Also, when I get pics taken, often I look like I am drunk and thats because that eye will close if there is a flash or the sun is too bright. Anyway, have you talked to the doctor yet about the risks and or the benefits of having surgery to correct the problem? Well Im sure you are doing your research (youre such a good mom) and I know you will make the right decision for Ryan, whatever that turns out to be. Re the blood in his urine. My son had that too, when he was just about Ryans age. Cant remember a lot about it anymore, but I do remember the doctor referring to it as "spilling sugar?" He told me that it was not uncommon in children and serious joggers too! I took the doctors word for it and as it turned out by the following spring Paul didnt seem to have the problem anymore. In retrospect, I wish I had been more informed and I think you are wise to find out more abut it too, if you can. In fact, if you *do* find out, I would be curious to know why it happens too and why, as the doctors say, "its nothing to worry about".

Michelle your garden is looking lovely too! So tickled that T.E. has made an appearance at your house. BTW, I meant to tell you before, I like my street name too! LOL! It was great when I had the biz cause we used my home address as the biz address and you would be amazed how much confidence it instilled in our clients...LOL!

Honey! It was great to see you! :-) And I am in love with your Acalypha! A few of us garden gals are making our second trip to Sunrise Nursery this week and I am definitely going to be looking for that plant! Cant wait to see how you combine it in your always lovely pot combinations! Sorry to hear your landscape designer was such a disappointment! Stick to your guns and/or find another landscaper. It makes me very unhappy when I hear about designers who dont listen to their clients...its just wrong! I always think of one of my ex-bosses clients, who loved the color red. I always felt sorry for him because every year he would ask to include red in his garden and every year my boss would refuse to listen (just because *she* hated the color red)! I thought that was a terrible thing to do to a client and always thought she should have compromised. I mean, Im sure there was some way she could have included some red in his garden, without insulting her own tastes. Okay, Ill get off my soap box now, it just that not listening to your clients needs and wants has always rubbed me the wrong way...I find it insulting! Of course, you hire a consultant because you want their knowledge and experience, but that doesnt mean that the *client* cant have good ideas too!

BTW...we will be seeing lots of pot combinations here, wont we? Please? I so loved that last spring....what inspiration I found here!

Did I mention too how much I enjoyed all the eye candy here today? Just beautiful everyone.

Eden...Im so tickled a gardener whom I admire so much also loves Dicentra Gold Heart! I know some people feel it may be a little to bright, but not me! I think it is gorgeous and I absolutely swoon when in a good spring, it blooms with my Redbud tree! :-) You and Marian have mayapples too die for. Though Ive had mine for several years now, they still have not made a great show like yours. When I was working for a gardening service, one of her customers had a huge stand of them in the woodland part of her yard and it is an image that I carry with me all the time...just lovely! Well, maybe one day I will have a stand too! :-) Enjoyed seeing all your unusual plants. It amazes me how many plants I have yet to discover...LOL!

Lauren! So enjoyed your pictures...just beautiful and the pic with the droplets on the leaf is really a work of art! Boy, we are so lucky here at the Idylls...so many wonderful photographers!

Gorgeous pics from Sue too! My fothergilla is finally recovering after a couple of bad years where my husband completely buried it during snow removal...GRRR! BTW, Sue is that your new "do" I see? You look fabulous! New do or not I think your hair is beautiful and I need to know what you are doing to have such fabulously chiseled arms! Youre looking fabulous dahling!

Well, Im going to keep this short, as I want to come back later and post pics of the trip to Arizona and my surprise on coming home in a separate post. I was going to post it all here, but then realized I had way too many pics. Ill be back here later, to do a better read! Have a great day all! Ei

P.S. T that is *so* encouraging and a joy to see the honey bees! :-)

P.P.S.S. Meant to tell you all I read "Shocking Beauty" while flying...wonderful book! Can't wait to get to my "Jewel Box" now! Thanks for the recommendation!

Okay gotta go now...TTYL! Ei

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Thanks, you guys. Most of you hit the nail on the head. I was looking for an inspired design and dont feel he even scratched the surface.

Ive been trying to determine the problem(s). He has numerous awards and lots of photos of nice designs mostly back yards -- in his portfolio. Contributing factors may be

· Hes limited by plants from his nursery
    · Warranty issues he mentioned that several times.
    · Constraints from us working around 3 existing trees
    · Site and exposure limitations.
    · Perhaps poor communication and/or listening skills.

Im going to meet with him Fri. to look at his stock, see if this assn/plan can be rescued or if I need to form an exit strategy. Mary, your idea has merit and Im thinking in that direction, too. Theres an incredible nursery about an hr. west that has every plant imaginable. They dont have design services as in formal drawings, but will help you plan, deliver and plant. I was out there a couple weeks ago and they have the most and largest conifers and uncommon plants in the area.

Cindy, Eden, thanks for the book suggestions. What I havent been able to find and would like to have is an encyclopedia with pix and descriptions of evergreens and shrubs that do well in this area.

On the coffee grounds discussion, I just dump bags of it around my evergreens. It really helps the soil and the kitties next door think it is the very BEST litter of all, lol.

T, BEE CAREFUL! Wow, that is some swarm. Both DH and I are highly allergic so I share your concern. I know youd like to keep them on your property, but if they build a hive in the wrong place its worth the $ to have a critter control company remove them.

Well, Im off to Barnes and Noble. Hi to all. TTYL,

Honey

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

After work yesterday I stopped at a nursery that I drive by each day. They dont have a large selection, but what they have are nice size and some neat annuals. I bought 3 coleus, Plum Frost, Red Ruffles and Show and Tell. I also got an ivy geranium called Merlot so you can imagine what the color is. It looks great with the Red Ruffles which says its a full sun plant. The Plum Frost was such a huge plant that I took 7 cuttings off it when I got home and it still looks great.

So Moniques Sutherland Gold didnt do well in full sun. Where do you all have yours planted. I of course planted mine in full sun. Mine is already about 2 tall and has flower buds.

Monique, my pic was of Dicentra eximia, which is quite easy to grow. It was one of the first perennials I planted.

Sue, Im curious what the blue flowering plants are in your picture.

Honey, I echo what everyone else said. You back garden is gorgeous and it sounds like you know what you want, but just need the grunt work done for you.

Deanne, I hope all goes well at your appointments.

Cindy, thanks stones are very plentiful here.

T, those are awesome pictures, but I sure hope they find a more appropriate spot.

Ei, glad that you returned home safely and Im looking forward to pictures of you trip.

Michelle

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Funny, when I copied and pasted, I missed this comment:

Eden, Ive been wondering when my Brent & Beckys order will come too, but I havent gotten an email yet. I got all my dahlias and cannas potted up last night. My your garden is sure looking good. You have such interesting plants in your garden. That dicentra would look very good in one of my gardens, I will have to look for it.

Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Very quickly...Honey you will never be happy with a canned landscape design from a nursery. You are a gardener with an eye for design and a desire for the unusual. Their target audience is average joe homeowner who wants everything everyone else has and no maintenance. They have to work with only plants they sell...hence the emphasis on yews and other common foundation plants. Have a party-invite Eden, David and Ruth over and see what they come up with. You can always source out the plants and pay to have large specimens delivered and planted on a per basis. The process is good though-it makes you think through and see that your ideas are far better.

For all who are asking, the blue mounding plant in my picture is Veronica peduncularis 'Georgia Blue', an excellent edging plant for lots of conditions including part sun. It doesn't bloom all that long but after flowering you shear the foliage and it looks good all season. For the season extenders, it gets a reddish fall color.

Sue

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

aaah, I'll "second" the Veronica Georgia Blue - it was one of the first things to give me real color in the garden this season (& w/ the cool weather it held up a long time) - it seems to take full sun in my area really well also and has remained healthy despite the heat challenges.

T- that is amazing w/ the bees! You are definitely 'critter central' this year. Wonder if they would chase off woodpeckers????

--Cindy

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Uh oh! Looks like I scared everyone off! LOL! Just popping in to see what's new. Hope everyone is off having a beautiful garden day! Ei

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Hi Ei ! Nah, you didn't scare anyone off! Anyway, 4 of 'us' posted after you did!
    Glad you had a safe trip, and I am waiting for that thread with your news and pics. :-)
    I have been busy hauling indoor plants outdoors. Then I was too tired to post.....:-(
    I did a little mowing this eve. All the rest needs done as soon as it is dry enough.
    More storms are in tonight's forecast, and into tomorrow.
    I just hope they are not accompanied with more hail,( and strong winds).
    It would really make me sick to see all my gorgeous iris and peonies distroyed. A lot that have never bloomed before are blooming this year.
    My Henry clematis has huge blooms, and lots more to come. Also MultiBlue, and some others are blooming. Most of my roses have more buds than ever before. The spiderwort is opening, and some types of pinks. The Mockorange and red weigela are in full bloom.
    Nolon has spent the past several days cutting down all the 'weed trees' that have came up on the other side of the fence out front. It sure has opened up the space better, and turned the sun onto the things that I have planted this side of the fence. They needed that.

TTYAL
    Marian

• camellia
    17 years ago

Honey, it's a busy time of the year for landscapers and designers. The person who drew up the plan may not even be the person you talked to. To ensure the designer gets the message on likes and dislikes, try putting the likes and dislikes in two written lists or point out the unsuitability of the plants for the location, again in writing, and preferably in advance of the meeting so the designer can consider the points.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner