Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_t

Idyll 262: Woodpecker---FREE to good home.

just_t
17 years ago

:o)

Woodpecker---male, in his prime, strong, capable, determined, industrious, crafty, hard worker, strives to make a nice home for his family,......... We can no longer keep him so wish to find him a good home...........far away from here. :o)

Please respond quickly, before my house falls apart.

T.

Comments (107)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Deanne, you did a far better job describing dinner than I would have. That restaurant was delicious-right up my alley-I enjoyed every single thing I ate. I'll bet dessert would have been scrumptious. Love the coleus and fuschia combo.

Pretty much a crappy weekend weatherwise. Yesterday I spent the afternoon in the garage potting cannas and dahlias. What a mess! I kept having to go out in the rain and root through piles of pots or get water. By the time I was done I closely resembled a drowned rat. Some of the stuff I stored over from last year dried up or rotted but if all the tubers I planted end up sprouting I'm going to have alot of cannas. None of my caladiums made it-they all disintegrated. I found a bag of sweet potato vine tubers that look healthy. Do I just pot these up too? All my plants from Deanne are in the basement under the one light I have. I'm counting the days til all this stuff can go outside where chance of survival increases exponentially. lol

Eden, do you have a wire cage around that tree to get the Clematis up into the branches? Great idea-I wish I could be more creative when it comes to growing Clems.

Gotta run...dog duty. Hi Babs and others who have been making themselves scarce.

Sue

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Drema - I feel in the same company when it comes to plant combinations -- and such a "failure" sometimes... but then I know a lot is just trial and error...
    Talk about feeling a failure -- I have 2 "token" dwarf hostas (Im not a big fan of hostas) and would you believe they appear to have both died over the winter? I mean, how can anyone kill hostas???? They were fine for 2 years and then - gone! Im wondering if a hungry deer? or something had some dessert over winter - very peculiar...

Gardenbug -- love those photos!! that primula especially -- I've got common Miller's Crimson, Deanne -- they have been quite hardy despite the area becoming bone dry in summer -- maybe you should give some a try (I realize the Millers are supposed to be pretty rugged).....

It was so wet and rainy here all weekend I only got out in the yard Sunday for about an hour to pull weeds that I could reach without stepping into the beds. But managed a fly-by to one nursery and, o dear -- Clematis Gravetye Beauty (that was blooming & dripping wonderful red flowers & buds) (from Donahues apparently) just had to come home w/ me (despite me remembering that it was a bit "difficult" and needs excellent drainage) - what a sucker I am - no sense, and no money! But it sure is gorgeous.

& Yep, we're supposed to go down to the 40s and only high of 60 or so later this week....Guess I'll be glad I dont have all those pots & tender plants like you guys for containers after all.

Eden, love the early spring shots of your garden - beautiful -- everything looks so fresh. (Deanne, that trellis DH built is gorgeous!!!!)

Too much to comment on right now - have to jump back to work -- But, keep those photos coming, they're luscious.

--Cindy

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Hi y'all. Computer is finally up and running and we're reconnected. It took almost all of yesterday to clean out our email!!! I've missed you all! Did you hear me? I carried on many conversations with you in my head particularly during a couple stops at nurseries. The pot ghetto has started. DH is wondering how long he'll be able to park in his spot in the garage. I think his days are numbered even tho I've sworn to "be good".

Meanwhile back at this ranch, I've been super busy researching, interviewing contractors, determining what work we'll do, etc., to solve some water problems we're having in the basement walls under the stairs, the lake by our front door and severe icing in winter on the front walk and driveway.

Any minute now, I'm expecting the roof and gutter guy. The water from the downspout from the second story dumps onto the garage roof and overflows when it dumps into the garage gutter. It results in an unintended pond next to the front porch and has killed several plants and caused minor wall leaks in the basement under the steps. So we definitely have to address the problem pronto.

There are also some other gutters that overflow and we want this guy to build a dam in several spots to prevent it from happening.

Lastly, in addressing the rest of the "lake" by the front door we need to replace the sidewalk that has sunk substantially. When it's warm after a rain we have to wade to the front door. In winter, that whole area and the one by the driveway is a skating rink from roof runoff. It also is contributing to the leaking problem under our stairs to the basement.

DD's boss is coming out again this pm to take some measurements for installing a new paver walkway to the front door and a retaining wall using existing stones to hold back the raised bed for the pear tree in front. I've had several other bids and his was the best. We're also having him install piping from the 3 front downspouts under the walk and out into a pop-up that will sprinkle the runoff onto the lawn. Hopefully, all these steps will solve the excess water problems in the basement, the walk and driveway as well as be a real aesthetic improvement.

This is "plants on wheels" again this year. Not only to move misplaced or forgotten plants but to get some out of the way of the work over the next few weeks. The new brick paver walkway will be a meandering, serpentine-like path to the front door and will be graded properly. It will replace the typical builder "L" that we have. Therefore, I'll have a whole new planting area! B/c of the water problem, we've lost quite a few evergreens. Thus, we're kind of forced to update the landscaping, at least on the garage side.

Meanwhile, the deck contractor finally showed up. Yup, at the crack of dawn -- 10 am. Must be nice! Ennyhoo, we've determined that the back side of the deck next to the house has sunk and the front or garden side has heaved. There's a 6" difference in height from front to back tilting toward the house. So he has to jack up the back side, and lower the front side by installing new posts. As he uncovered the deck framework, it's obvious this deck was built by amatuers. Jeez, is it crooked! Also, it looks like a couple of large critters have a home next to our foundation, perhaps a very big fat groundhog. As much as we'd love to replace the deck with a raised patio, the $ don't work at this time. We're forced to do the front walk b/c of the water problems, but we're hoping to get a couple yrs. more out of the deck before we have to replace it.

Ennyhoo, that's what I'm up to. If I don't check in it's because I'm super busy -- 3 contractors today, dropping of car at dealer and perm tomorrow, appt. Wed, another contractor Thurs. and sometime in there visiting sick friends and the usual errands and grocery shopping.

Hope all's well with everyone. Thinking of all I'll try to catch up piecemeal. Now I must grab some lunch. TTYL,

Honey

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Deanne and Sue, where do you put your cannas and dahlias after you pot them up. Under lights? I potted up some cannas yesterday and put them in the south windows of the garden shed. Will they be ok there? If we get a freeze could I cover them? Help! Deanne when are you potting up your box of Sams calidums? When I have grown these tenders before, I always waited and planted after the frost date.
    Thanks for the picture of Moonglow in full sun. It is stunning with the dahlias. Now I know what to do with mine.

Honey, my pot ghetto has started too. I was so proud of myself that I only overwintered 3 pots.
    You will have to post pictures of your new sidewalk. It sounds a lot like what Id like to do for our house.

Babs, what an adorable picture of Ryan. That 2nd Mertensia picture is stunning. The stems look almost black and the flower color is stunning. Great photography.

V, I had to laugh at your comment of sixteen bazillion seedlings, I made a very similar comment to DH after I spent several hours digging out shasta daisies out of one of my garden.

Drema, I have those same feelings all the time, but I figure if I am having fun, what the heck.

Eden, I love the trillium.

It sounds like the mini Idyllunion had great food and conversation. My leftovers for lunch just dont compare. LOL

Have a great Monday
    Michelle

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Nice to see so many posts today!

Honey, so I wasn't hearing voices in my head; it was really you? I feel better now...

I had leftovers for lunch also. I'm now remembering why i only had half of the Jalapeno beef tips Saturday night.

Woooosh!

V.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Michelle, I pot mine up and put them in the basement next to the furnace. The tubers don't need light until they start sprouting but they do need warmth or they may rot if the potting soil is too damp. It usually takes about a week for growth to start. Then I move them either into a window or outside if it's warm enough-right into the sun. You can also wait a few more weeks, pot them up and put them outside in the sun. Take them in at night if frost threatens. We may get frost here later this week. I'll have to toss a blanket over my Musa basjoo.

Hey Honey, I was just wondering about you.

Sue

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Betty Corning...I heard that name several times here! Absolutely plant Betty in your garden! Choose as sunny a spot as possible and water it well. Make sure it has LOTS of space to grow because this is a BIG one, eventually. It would be perfect for a pergola or a free standing structure that is VERY SOLID. If you are lucky, you will notice a scent to her blooms. It isn't too fussy about soil but you can feed it as long as it isn't in bloom. If you feed a blooming clematis it will rush through its blooms and be over within no time. Also, if you give it lots of nitrogen (a no-no) it will be all foliage and no blooms. Remember, it takes at least three years to get a pretty healthy plant going- so start NOW.

So Deanne, which clematis is (are) going on Doug's new trellis? Is it strongly bolted in the ground? Sue, did you find a home for Mrs Robert Brydon? Cindy, I am waiting for my Gravetye Beauty to return this spring. I never buy anytrhing red...but this is the exception....Some people tell me that it isn't a true red. We shall see, I hope.

Monique, I am curious to know when your yellow Cotinous leafs out. My baby shows nothing yet. I hope it is alive! It looks pretty silly right now with its two skinny twigs.

Glad to read that Babs is becoming a heuchera slut too. I was given a start of H. Mardi Gras by a friend. I hope it will be happy here. If you were nearby I could give you lots of Heuchera divisions. They increase fast and dividing is easy. There are almost as many kinds of Heuchera and Heucherella and Tiarella as there are coleus.

Honey, it is so satisfying to get those necessary jobs under control. I'm glad to get the kitchen project over with, but how do you get the crazy guys to bill you? I hate not settling the bill right away. I want to know if there is money left for my outdoor project in the veg garden.

Off to achieve something with the rest of this afternoon.
    Then get DH to BBQ some salmon kebobs for dinner before he leaves for yet another conference.

'bug

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Sue, thanks for the info. Since we are predicted to have cooler weather until the weekend, I hauled them into the basement. Another question, how big of a pot do you use? I used plenty big ones as I wasn't sure.

Add me to the heuchera, tiarella, heucheralla sluts.LOL I added heucheralla 'Burnished Bronze', Tiarella 'Iron Butterfly'and heuchera 'Amber Waves' to the collection on Saturday.

Honey, your deck sounds like our siding. We are replacing some of the pieces that look bad. We just aren't ready to reside our house. It is a big house and would cost quite a bit even if we did it ourselves.

It is raining here so I think I'll get DH to help move the furniture back in the rooms upstairs. Right now it is all piled in another room and I can't get at my spring/summer clothing.

Have a relaxing evening
    Michelle

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Why would any of you want to be called this?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slut

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone. Just a fly by to say how much I have enjoyed everyones pictures and postings. I try to read every day but have been super busy and it doesn't show any sign of easing up for a while. I'm usually just to tired to comment at night after I read.

We have had quite a bit of sunny dry weather this past month and all the spring flowers and shrubs have put on a show. I've been doing a little of everything. Weeding, transplanting, trying to finish the beds I started last year and getting ready to have the floors done. Lousy timing on that. What was I thinking. No time for home improvement when there is gardening to be done. Duh!

I wrestled a huge Hosta out of the ground the other evening and moved a butterfly bush tonight. Still need to move a Knockout and some daylilys. These are things that were holding me up for finishing other things. On top of that I think I have been in my low energy cycle the last few days and have had to push myself to get things done.

Once again, you all have posted some great photos. Thanks for sharing. I will try to catch up some day soon. We are supposed to be rainy and cool for a couple of days too.
    Take care everyone. Norma

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

P.S. Babs that picture of Ryan is so cool. Looks professional. N

• taryn
    17 years ago

Quickie to Marian: In this scenario the term "Heuchera Slut" (or more commonly used "Plant Slut") simply means that one has a shameless love affair going on with Heucheras (or plants in general). You adore it, you can't get enough of it. It has none of the ugly connotations of the actual definition of slut. This is garden slang, and not something you'd pick up from a dictionary. PLEASE don't be offended. I know that wasn't the intent. I'm a Heuchera Slut too (and proud of it, lol!)

Taryn :)

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Hi Idylls! OMIGOSH...What I have been missing?!! *Gorgeous* pictures everyone! The eye candy here is terrific! :-)

Weve been having beautiful weather here...spring has definitely sprung! The skin on my index fingers have turned to cowhide; plant debris is trapped in my hair; my knees are aching and Ive already squished at least a couple dozen grubs...I couldnt be more thrilled! :-)

I havent caught up with all the reading, but loved all the beautiful pics and have really enjoyed seeing all the woodland plants too! Marie you are so talented with that camera...wish I could do such justice to mine. I take pictures of the sweet little ephemerals every year, but have never been able to capture their charm the way you have!

Deanne your gorgeous Dahlia was a joy to behold too (Wow! My dahlias are *just* forming leaves under the lights!). I see a second career in Dougs future... Is he planning on doing woodworking when he retires? He should. What a gorgeous trellis! I just love the way you put vignettes together too...the pots look so lovely against the trellis and the trellising really brings out the beauty of your chair too! You are so pulled together... What an eye! Deanne, I have to apologize...I just saw your note about wanting to know who wanted what! I was one of the people who wanted a fuchsia. I am sorry I didnt get a chance to email you, but dont worry about it, my loss! Oh well, looking at the jungle I have going downstairs right now, I probably wouldn't have a space for her anyway...LOL! BTW, hope youre feeling better! P.S. Your fuchsia standards make me weep! :-( Think you can give me some lessons when you come out this way? :-) Oh, and I *love* that Coleus Moonglow combined with that dahlia...what an artist!

Im going to have to try Sues banana overwinter burying technique. So far the only thing shooting out of my banana plant is white fly! Yikes! Ive been trying to give it some time to resurrect, but I dont think thats happening and Ill probably toss it tomorrow. Definitely dont need a white fly infestation! Its a shame though, cause I really love that plant. Maybe Ill buy another this spring and try over-wintering outside this time. Speaking of Sue, I know Ive told you many times before, but I just *love* the colors of your home...it is *so* beautiful and has a real "New England charm" feel to it...I get a happy feeling every time I see it. And those tulips are gorgeous! Who are they? Tuliphiles need to know! And the pups...aw, so sweet! Are you getting attached to little Kenzie? BTW, could you send that rain my way? I cant believe it, weve had some rains, but my soil is still dry as a bone (at least on the surface). I dont know if my garden will ever recover from last years drought!

Hi T! Excited to read about the new baby on the way thats so exicitng! :-) Do you guys know what it will be or does DD want to be surprised? Sorry to hear about the peckers...LOL that Babs is a hoot; isnt she?

Mary you always capture the neatest subjects! I love that little erythronium? I use to have Pagoda, but over the years they slowly disappeared! :-( I dont think my soil was rich enough back then...would love to try them again. Is yours Pagoda? I never noticed what a strking contrast the filaments make against the lovely yellow of that flower...very pretty! And that worty toad...he is the *cutest*! I *love* toads and frogs too. Frogs and toads and creeks! :-) Loved the pics of the kids playing in the creek too. Seeing them was like going back in time! Annie and David bring back lots of wonderful memories from my childhood summers in Wisconsin...what fun! :-)
    Boo Hoo Taryn! Its hard to believe that Christine could be so awful...especially dressed in her Christmas finery! I just loved that pic! :-) Well, I guess I should say good luck with the Ebay listing...that is, if you really *do* want to sell her! :-( Glad to hear you are feeling better. The power of the internet *is* amazing isnt it? So cool that you were able to connect with GGG and that she was able to lead you to someone right in your area! It *is* amazing and Im so happy that you are finding some relief! BTW, I seem to be having an email problem, so I dont know if you received my email or not, but I wrote you to tell you thank you for the Cardinal Vine seeds! :-) Im so excited! I bet all the Ebayers who purchased seed from you were very happy *and* impressed! Your instructions were wonderful! Thanks again for remembering me. Yikes on the spider bite! Thats horrible and is a secret fear of mine, every time I reach into dark spaces in the basement or the shed. I knew a woman who had a nasty bite from a recluse. It took the longest time to heal and she actually had what looked like a hole in her leg for the longest time - though I assume it finally went away! Glad you caught it in time and glad that you are healing! BTW Im so tickled that you like Sugar Ray too! I love "Fly"! :-) Sugar Ray is one of my guilty pleasures. I saw them interviewed once on T.V. and they seem to be fun loving, happy guys! Ill confess another "guilty pleasure" and a secret fantasy of mine. I have always loved soul music from the 20s up all the way up until the 70s and often listen to this station called Soul Street...LOL! My fantasy is that I would love to be a back up singer for someone like the OJays or Smokey Robinson & The Miracles! :-) No, not the lead, I think it would be way more fun to be a back up singer and do the little dance movements and hand motions! :-) I know, its a guilty pleasure...LOL! I just *love* music...*all* of it!

Speaking of email...I think my computer is on its last leg. Im having so much trouble with it these days and I dont think *anyone* receives email from me anymore! I cant figure out what the problem is, but I think it may have something to do with my version of Microsoft,that, and the fact that my computer is pretty old now. So anyway....

Michelle I know you probably didnt receive my email, so Ill have to thank you publicly...I got your package on Friday! Thank you *so* much! The geraniums are *gorgeous* and the special surprise really tickled me. Hope you dont mind, but Im posting a picture for everyone to see! I just love it!

{{gwi:156471}}

Not sure if this will be its permanent home, but I like the way the hummingbird's beautiful shades of blue co-ordinate with my husbands gazing globes! And also, the way you curved the stake makes it *so* graceful. Shes a real beauty and my pictures dont do her justice. I am always amazed at all the talent here at the Idylls! So thanks again Michelle. I will cherish it! BTW, those tulips are gorgeous! I love that shade of yellow... Do you know the name of them?

Eden your spring containers are so beautiful and I *love* the pink you painted! You have such a creative, whimsical way of thinking...I love the way your mind works! :-) BTW, If all the varieties of Knockout are the workhorses my original Knockout is, you will *not* be disappointed! Ive had the original for a few years now and they have been so dependable, constantly in bloom, no maintenance and totally winter hardy! If I had the room, I would definitely try the others, especially the pink ones (Pink Knockout & Blushing Knockout) and probably even Double Knockout too. The original is a little bright, but I love it anyway. I mean how could you not love a rose that is always smiling, happy to bloom its head off all summer, and never asks for a thing in return? BTW...I *loved* the magical tour through your garden too...that fairy is enchanting and just perfect under those delicate flowering trees (apple? cherry?...not sure) but its perfect! And your path is great and I *love* your pond. All these pics are just *so* fun and uplifting you guys! Thanks!

Hi Babs! :-)
    Sorry to hear about the tree choppers! I think you showed great restraint, especially since they were being paid for their service. I winced when you mentioned your poor astilbes! I wanted to cry for you and made me think of the time this sweet little older lady from the garden club I belonged to came to see my garden. She wandered up to the shady island bed to get a better look at a plant, when I noticed she was standing on my Arisaema sikokianum! Omigosh I wanted to cry! It was the plants first year here and it was doing so beautifully! But I just couldnt bring myself to tell her...I didnt want to upset or embarrass her, so I just gritted my teeth and waited for her to step away from the area. After she left I went back to look at my poor little Jack and he was total toast! I had two of them, but now I only have one! :-( Boo-hoo! Oh well, what are you gonna do? Still, no comparison to having your astilbe bed destroyed! Hope the damages werent too bad and that your astilbes will recover. Oh...a Halesia tree! I love that little tree! I lost one a few years back when we did the house addition. I replaced it a few years ago with another that was a teeny tiny little seedling...*maybe* a foot tall. Im very excited because this year I think its about 6 feet tall! Of course, when your looking from my eye level, *everything* looks to be at least 6 feet...LOL! Anyway, I think its a sweet little tree and I hope I get some blooms this year. If I do, Ill have to post a pic! :-) BTW, "micro" or not...I love to hear your "blab"! :-) I *love* your Magnolia pic too! In my next home I definitely plan to include a place for a magnolia. Fleeting or not, it is just the prettiest spring tree when in bloom! Is that your very own woodland area? Its fabulous! And what a gorgeous color on that quince...makes me want to have one again...I need more room...LOL! And OMIGOSH that Ry-guy...will you look at those big eyes and that sweet little face? No wonder you love him so much! :-) He is absolutely precious (but dont tell him I said he was precious even though he is)...tell him I said he was handsome!

V I havent forgot or phone conversation. What do you think of the Morton Arboretum and/or Cantigny and Planters Palette for an outing? Deannes Cantigny Royale comes from our Cantigny I believe! :-) And, the Morton Arboretum did a major renovation, especially with the childrens garden and Planters Palette is a neat nursery...but there are so many places to consider...any opinions/suggestions?

Speaking of the Morton Arboretum, Anita and I went there last week while she was in with her daughter. I think I told you guys her daughter is moving back here? She did find a house and will be moving in sometime in June. It was *wonderful* to spend time with Anita *and* Elizabeth, even if they were very busy house hunting as well. Its sort of ironic, I mean Im lucky when I get to see Anita once or twice a year and here Im going to be flying out to see her this week-end! We purchased our tickets months ago, before Elizabeth had decided to move back here. Oh well...Ill take any and all the time I can spend with Anita. She already has plans for us (she is so good at planning). Saturday we will hear her husbands band play at his regular gig and then Sunday we will be seeing one of her husbands, friends, girlfriend (got that?) in a play that Anita says is hilarious....something about Confessions? I cant remember the name of it, but its stars this funny nun (their friend). I guess she played here in Chicago too. Anyway, that should be fun too. She also wants to take us to the London Bridge? In Arizona? I dont know the whole story behind that (Im sure Ill find out) but its also suppose to be a place with a lot of shops that model shops in England. It will be a short, whirlwind week-end, but lots of fun Im sure!

Cindy - *loved* your spring pics! Those purple tulips are *especially* gorgeous! But, I think there should be a rule, I think you guys need to tell me the names of the tulips you post...a Tuliphile needs to know these things! :-)

And OMIGOSH Norma...your bergenia and phlox pic...what a color combination! I love pink and blue, but your combo is especially lovely...I just love those shades of pink and blue you put together and I swear it looks like there is just the slightest hint of the bergenias pink in the phloxs flower! Was that planned or a stroke of luck? Either way, its just lovely!

Marian, you say it so casually and simply, but you have *such* a way of putting the beauty in your garden into words. I *love* the way you described the spring happenings and I almost feel like I am there with you. Your home sounds like a nature wonderland! :-) Would love to see it for real! I think you are *very* observant. I loved hearing about the Wippoorwill too. I want to hear one! Just saying the *word* "Wippoorwill" sounds magical to me! :-) Funny about the Dutchmans Breeches. Im having just the opposite problem this year. Mine have spread and spread...lots of foliage, but not so many flowers this year? Wondering, could it be possible the area they are growing in has become too shady? I cant figure it out. I know they bloomed lots more in previous years. I have a bergenia called 'Pink Dragonfly' (not sure, Id need to look it up) anyway, last year it bloomed wonderfully and its a real beauty in bloom, but I dont think Ill have any flowers this year. It was a small plant to begin with and in my anxiousness to get it spread around I divided it into three last year. They are all still alive, but very small. I wish they would spread faster! I cant believe your clematis are in bloom already...you are so far ahead of me! Sorry about the tics! Thank Goodness that is one pest we dont seem to have here (although in the woods out here I know we have them). My frustration these days is over the bunny rabbits who have eaten so many of my tulips down to the ground that Im just about ready to give up my tulip love affair...Well, just about ready...Im going to give it one more year...LOL! BTW! Congratulations to Nolon on his "clean" test! :-) Oh, I have to take sis for chemo again tomorrow, but when I come home, Ill take some close up shots of myosotis so you can see if you have any growing.

Drema and Cindy...secretly I think we *all* feel that way. Well, at least I know I do. Sometimes Ill look at my garden and think *everything* is wrong, but then those times when everything seems to be behaving and blooming as they should (Im thinking of my summer two years ago) I think, "Okay, for this moment alone, its all worth it!" And I agree even though I did take horticulture in college, I think just about everything Ive learned about my garden has been from trial and error...theres nothing like "hand on"!

Hi Honey! Good to see you! Watch out for those plant ghettos...LOL! Did you buy a new computer? Whose is it? Are you happy with it? Looks like a new computer will have to be in my future soon too.

Hi Wendy! Thanks for the good thoughts on my sis...in fact, thanks everyone! Sis seems to be doing pretty well. Last Friday was a hard day...we went to get a wig and some hats and we held hands as they shaved off her remaining hair. She really is trooper and working very hard at keeping a positive mental attitude. Im trying too, but sometimes Ill catch a glimpse of her in a moment of frailty and its *so* hard to keep smiling and being strong...I just want to throw my arms around her and hug her and tell them they cant do this to her anymore! Of course, they are doing what needs to be done to get her healthy and I remind myself of this often. Actually, she has been doing very well no vomiting or nausea and the muscle weakness has gone away. After tomorrows treatment she will have 1/3 of her chemo treatments over with!

Well, I guess I should be going. This is a long one, but I had lots of catching up to do....

BTW, does anybody know who this sweet little thing is?

{{gwi:156473}}

It just "appeared" in my garden this year. Maybe it hitched a ride in the pot of some woodland plant I purchased? Although I haven't purchased any new woodland plants in years? Anyway, it's a very sweet little thing and delicate looking. The flowers remind me somewhat of hepaticas, but the foliage looks like an Aquilegia or a Thalictrum...any ideas?

Well I better sign off now...guess I'll post a little soul to relax you and help you to fall asleep. Okay...so it's probably only going to help *me* fall asleep...LOL! Anyway, Good Night All and Sweet Dreams! Ei

Otis Redding - Sittin' on the dock of the bay

Sittin' in the mornin' sun
    I'll be sittin' when the evenin' comes
    Watching the ships roll in
    And then I watch 'em roll away again,
    yeah
    I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
    Watching the tide roll away
    Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
    Wastin' time
    I left my home in Georgia
    Headed for the 'Frisco bay
    'Cause I've had nothing to live for
    And looks like nothin's gonna come my way

So I'm just gonna sit on the dock of the bay
    Ooo, I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
    Wastin' time

Looks like nothing's gonna change
    Everything still remains the same
    I can't do what them people tell me to do
    So I guess I'll remain the same,

Yes

Sittin' here resting my bones
    And this loneliness won't leave me alone
    It's two thousand miles Ive roamed
    Just to make this dock my home

Now, I'm just gonna sit at the dock of the bay
    Oooo-wee, sittin' on the dock of the bay
    Wastin' time

The Skyliners - Since i don't have you
    I don't have plans and schemes
    And I don't have hopes and dreams
    I don't have anything
    Since I don't have you
    I don't have fond desires
    And I don't have happy hours
    I dont have anything
    Since I don't have you
    I dont have happiness
    And I guess I never will have it again
    When you walked out on me
    In walked all misery
    And it's been here since then
    For I don't have love to share
    I dont have one who cares
    I don't have anything
    Since I don't have you
    You, you, you, you,
    You, you, you, you
    Oo...Oo...Oo...

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Good Morning, Wow it was busy here on the Idylls yesterday. It's overcast, cold and looks like rain here today. It doesn't look very promising for gardening. Yesterday I checked all of the wintersown containers, well really springsown, since I just did them a couple of weeks ago and I have seedlings galore of all of my annuals.. It's such an easy way to start seeds, pretty much no maintenance and no hardening off. I added to my heuchera collection yesterday and succumbed to the h.mardi gras I've been eying for the last couple of weeks. That brings the new heuchera total to 4 for me so far this year. I've acquired Mocha Mint, a new Peach Flambe, Black Bird and now Mardi Gras. I found a couple of nice witch hazels yesterday too, Arnold Promise and Jelena, but they were huge and too big to fit into the car. There was also a cute little oxydendrum. I think I'll get my sister and her truck and go back for them. I bought Bella a Little Tikes Climb and Slide yesterday. On the box it said you could put it together in 10 minutes. I brought it home, took the pieces out of the box, there were only 5, and spent the next half hour trying to get the first two to line up so I could attach them. Then I threw it all back in the box and it's waiting for Brad to do it today. I'm just no good at that kind of stuff, lol.

To much went on here yesterday for me to comment on it all right now but I did love hearing everyones news and all of the pictures, especially the sweet one of little Ryan.

I've got lots on my list of things to get done today since I'll have Bella for the next three days so I have to get going. Have a great day everyone. I'm starting by taking a quick tour of the garden. So much changes everyday out there at this time of year.

Eden

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Hi Eileen! Your flower is Rue Anemone, Anemonella thalictroides.

I'm so glad your sis is progressing well with her chemo. I am hoping for many good years for her, and for the two of you together.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Ei, I think your little white flower is Anemonella thalictroides. The 'thalictroides' part means it has foliage like thalictrum, or meadow rue.

Cold and wet here. I'm frustrated by not being able to get my garden work done. I have a long list that is getting longer! I too am lacking energy these days...so may have to read a good book today rather than do housework. ;-) DH is away until tomorrow night.

Later folks!
    'bug

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good sunny 47 degree morning all,

I just love it when I get up and the sun is shining in my dining room! What a treat. The weather guys are saying it is supposed to get up to 70 today but I have plans to paint with my friend Mary and finish the class samples I taught with this weekend. Im not unhappy with the large one and I want to finish it and get it up for sale on my web site. If it sells that will be money for plants you know. So I guess Im really going to be working on the gardens in a round about way. I was a bit disappointed yesterday because I wanted to get out to The Mixed Border. They opened for the season yesterday and I wanted to see what needed to start saving my moola for. LOL

Eileen, Yea!!!! Soooo. Happy to see your posts. I always feel like I have a treat in store when I see one of your long newsy, photo filled posts. ~~ So here is the deal about the fuchsia, I have a couple plants that have YOUR name on them so you arent going to get out of it! LOL I also have a nice Moonglow for you. I know you are going to be hugely successful with these Beacon fuchsia and will love them as much as you loved Felix so you need me to send you these plants. If you dont have space indoors Ill wait another few weeks until you can put them outside. Please do send me your address. I know I have it somewhere but cant for the life of me find it at the moment. ~~ Funny thing about that dahlia, it decided when it was going to come out from the dark and get under the lights. Not me. It now has four flowers opened if you can believe that. Im a bit in a dilemma with figuring out how in the heck Im going to bring it out and harden it off. ~~ Doug used to do woodworking for my business years ago but only infrequently makes prototype wood pieces for me. He really is a talented woodworker though and Im sooooo happy hes decided that making trellises is a good thing. Hes already thinking on how to improve the design. Im really happy you noticed how it makes the little vignette with the chairs even nicer. I was surprised at that when we got the trellis set up. I could say I planned it that way but it was only a happy accident. ~~ So the good news is that my Molly has five buds on her and I cant wait to see her shining face!!! Thanks again.

Norma, I so know what you mean about having tasks in the garden to do before finishing other things. Ive got to dig and divide and perhaps move a Six Hills Giant nepeta that is taking over the second tier in the terrace garden and also want to move my Hellebore Ivory Prince but have to move some hostas before I do that. We are also getting the garden where the wisteria is enlarged so I can move it after it blooms. I surely hope I dont kill it. It has lots of lovely buds forming at the moment and I cant wait until it blooms this year.

Michelle, you are too funny! Three more heuchera and tiarella??? Im going to have to go shopping to catch up with the bunch of you. LOL ~~ Funny you should ask about the caladium. I potted mine up yesterday. I have a couple long, shallow trays that came with some seedling flats. I poked holes in the bottoms and filled them with a small amount of potting soil, placed the caladium on the soil, covered them with a thin layer of more soil then set them six inches under a light fixture. This fixture is also above another so there is quite a bit of warmth generated by the fixtures. Ive never started them before so Ill see how they do. I believe Eden is the expert and Im wondering how she gets hers started. Cannas and dahlias I used to start in the house but I simply do not have the room this year because of all the other stuff Ive got. I ordered a cold frame and it hasnt come in yet. Im going to have to see if Doug can come up with something so I can get them started outdoors. Id think your cannas in the south window of your potting shed will be just fine. Even if you get a frost outside it shouldnt bother them in there.

Bug I currently have Proteus and Arabella on the trellis along with a rose Carefree Delight which sends out long canes that look great against the trellis with the clematis.

Honey, great to hear from you. Sounds like youve been busy as usual. How are your dahlias doing? I sure wish you lived closer to me. Weve got a project going here I could use your help with.

Cindy, never, ever feel like a failure. My thinking about gardening is that anytime you can put something in the ground and it grows that is a success story. Combinations are nice but not the main reason you grow things. There is a real satisfaction to nurturing something to grow to its potential. RE the missing hostas. Ill bet you had some meadow voles in your gardens. One year I had some mature, enormous Frances Williams hosta almost disappear. They went from being five feet across to about 20" across. I was devastated, especially because that was the year the voles also ate every single clematis I had on the property. Grrrrr.. ~~ Thanks for the info re the Millers Crimson. Ill have to give them a try.

Sue, all my caladium from last year turned to mush here too. I can over winter most things now but this is the third year Ive tried and failed with caladium so Im not going to try again. You are ahead of me with potting up cannas and dahlias. Ive not done any yet because I was waiting for the cold frame which was supposed to arrive on the 15th. If it doesnt come soon I wont need it.

Marian, did you want to try any of the Beacon fuchsia or any of the coleus Ive got here???? Ive got so many they are looking for homes and Ive got to make another trip to the post office to mail off Eileens so it would be no trouble to get a package out to you.

Babs, beauteous photos! I love that variegated Mertensia. How neat is that? Also love the photograph of Ryan. Superb!

V. Im still so jealous of your loot in the greenhouse cleanout! That is just too cool. OK my friend Mary is supposed to be here at 10:30 and I still have to go to the gym so must get out of here for now. Have a great day everyone.
    Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Marie, I'm afraid I'm a poor Betty Corning grower. The plan this year was to swap out the obelisk with something larger but I didn't get around to it. Betty isn't cooperating either-she's already shooting 3-4 foot growth into the old support. Oh-oh. Mrs. Robert Brydon will be a groundcover on the part sun end of my retaining wall. Perhaps she'll eventually swirl around the feet of some japanese maples.

Michelle I start the cannas in fairly small pots-just enough soil under and over the tubers to cover them. As they grow I step up the pot size. One guy on the tropicalesque forum starts his in gallon sized plastic zip bags-no soil at all. I also sent you an e-mail, BTW, through Gardenweb. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Ei, I don't often keep track of bulb varieties (I know, bad me). Usually I only plant early blooming tulips because they're more perennial. Last year was the first fall in a long time that I didn't plant any bulbs. One of the items on my to-do list right now is to make a list of all the spots I need more bulbs. Now is the time to do that when I can remember where all the existing ones are planted. I hope your sister continues to do well. I think of both of you often. Mackenzie is very comfortable in my house...lol. On Thursday night my groomer will be treating her to a "spa" night. A family is supposed to come by to meet her on Saturday but I haven't heard back from them so maybe it won't be that exact family but another.

I broke down and made an appointment for a pedicure at a new place that just opened in town. It's right where I park for my walks and I watched them get ready to open for months and figured what the heck? The appointment is tomorrow night at 5.

Time to trot...

Sue

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Deanne, I could use the coleus, but not the fuchsia ( it just 'will' not grow for me..:-( ). Thanks for thinking of me.

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good morning!

I saw the tree trimming crew yesterday on my way to town and asked them how much longer they'd be in our area as I was curious when I should stop hoping for a second load of chips. They said to give them this week and asked for my address again. No one wrote it down so I don't know if they are just teasing & playing with this old fat lady or if some chips will appear this week.

It has been wonderful to read everyone's posts and see the photos shared. I'm thankful to be an Idyller.

Here are some pics from a few minutes ago. I'm not smiling.

{{gwi:156474}}

{{gwi:156475}}He has moved over to the other side of the garage, near my sewing room and is continuing his destructive ways.

DH was cutting branches off of a cedar tree near the house and didn't realize he was cutting off a branch with a Robin's nest. We placed the nest in an old hanging pot, hung it back in the tree but, disappointingly and sadly, the Robin never returned.

{{gwi:156476}}

Boo is waiting impatiently for his breakfast.......

{{gwi:156477}}

Sorry about the quality of the photos, I was using my old Olympus 2.1MP C-700UZ and I just cannot seem to hold steady when I take the zoom pictures. It isn't the camera's problem so much as it is the owner. Jello effect....I quit moving but the body jello just keeps on shaking which makes the camera move enough to cause blurry pics................

My best to all............
    T. and Woody the pecker

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Well, It's official I'm mechanically challenged. Brad was
    able to put the slide together in no time. Good thing I keep him around I guess, lol.

T, I know it's not funny but the first w.pecker picture really made me laugh. Looks like he's quite the character, peeking around the corner at you like that.

On the subject of caladiums, I've found I don't get any further ahead by starting them early. They sprout up in no time once the weather is consistently warm. I've only had luck with overwintering the corms once. Most years they disintegrate into dust when I try to save them so I just buy new ones every year now. I really do need to get my dahlias potted up today though. I sure wish my Brent and Becky's order would show up.

I bought a new book the other day called Shocking Beauty by Thomas Hobbs. This morning was the first chance I've had to really check it out and it has beautiful, beautiful garden pictures. So now not only am I a heuchera slut but I'm looking at garden porn too, lol.

Back to my laundry...Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Cloudy here yet, but they do promise sunshine.

Eden, I havent seen by Brent and Beckys either. I think Sue got hers though. Those sound like some good heucheras. Ill have to google Black Bird I havent seen that one yet.

Heres hoping that T gets her mulch and gets rid of her red head.

Deanne, I hope to get your box out tomorrow.

Ei, Im glad to hear that things are going as well as can be expected for your sister. I sent you an email. You wont believe where I found your emails. I wont admit it publicly. LOL I dont know what your flower is, but it is cute.

Norma, it sounds like you are in the full swing of the garden.

Later,
    Michelle

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Garden porn, LOL - I love it -- do you think they 'net police will be after us? What a hoot! Yep, Hobbs has garden porn - have you see his later book called "Jewel Box" I think.... I think of all you "tropical freaks" whenever I look at it.

O, T-- I agree that 'pecker is something else -- he was just waiting for you to take his pic dont you think? What a sly guy.....

Love that photo of Ryan too, Babs -- quite professional looking -- so woebegone.

Michelle - that is a lovely stained glass piece - it really is very graceful w/ the bend in it & looks terrific near that gazing ball, great colors.

And love the Spring walks Mary & Babs have given us -- wildlife, kids and flowers -- all together. Beautiful and clever.

Just passing thru to catch the latest Spring "eye candy" -- dont want to get this thread pulled calling it "porn"!

-cindy

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Michelle, I was just looking through the latest issue of Garden Shed magazine and there's the cutest little garden shed in there. I thought of you as soon as I saw it. It's not really set up for work but like a little sitting room. If you run across it look at pg 74-78 of the Spring 2006 issue.

Eden

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

YAY! I'm so happy that the idylls are coming out of the woodwork-I guess I was in the woodwork too but life has been so busy it seems for all of us lately.

Eileen-it tugs at my heart the way you describe holding your sister's hand as the last of her hair was cut-that must have been tough since you want to be strong for her. I just really admire your devotion. BTW where do you find scarves for your sister? I ask because one of Chris' colleauges has lost her hair to chemo and I was thinking of making a scarf for her but I wasn't sure of the right dimensions or what the best fabric is to use especially for warm weather. I was naturally thinking silk but then thought of the need for easy laundering of the scarf-maybe that's not a big issue. If I could find time I was thinking it would be cool to actually paint a silk scarf-who knows maybe I will.
    I'm glad your sister is so far dealing well with the chemo treatments.I always have good thoughts for her.
    It's good to hear you being spunky again!

Norma for someone who is worn out-you do accomplish so much....maybe you aren't realizing that moving those plants certainly is tiring! I've learned to pace myself and do a little each day so I'm less achey and not so exhausted. I have six flagstone slabs to lay and so far I can only do one per day because it's such back breaking work when I do it myself. Chris always asks me why I don't wait for him to help....hmmmm good question lol.

Did anyone hear my screeching shreek this morning? The horned and hooved rodents hit the hostas last night! My bad-I hadn't applied repellant.

When the heuchera piece I planted perks up I'll take a pic so you guys can ID it for me. It gets reddish blooms but I figure the leaves will be more helpful to see.

I am SO glad to hear the info about caladiums-I was going to buy some corms but stopped because I am so lazy about lifting and storing stuff like that(I am less diligent than Deanne and the rest; )Good to know they typically don't hold up after a growing season(I would assume it was my own ignorance). Eden has a good method-at least for me I can get very cheap caladiums at our Marc's store each season.I hope they aren't out. Excuse me I need to go to the store right now....lol.

Hey Michelle now you need to make garden stakes for the rest of us: )...I've added 'stained glass stakes' to the "to do" list that also has 'paint silk scarves' on it lol.

Thanks for the nice comments about my woodland pics...and Ry-man: )
    Eileen the woodland pics are from nearby woods(I only WISH and pretend they are my own: ) As a matter of fact the fall leaf pics I sent you were from that area-it belongs to the Cuyahoga Valley Metroparks. It's about a half mile from my house. If you ever came to visit at this time of year I'd twist your arm and make you come for a walk-except I know I wouldn't have to twist! ALL the idylls would love it there. I always want to get a vista pic to show you all but you just can't get a good feel for the scale of the area with a camera!(I tried)

Good gracious,it's SLEETING here.

T-I can just imagine you slinking around trying to get pics of that bird. Did you toss any rocks? Wield a stick? He really does look like he's copping an attitude in that first one!

Deanne-I meant to say yesterday that Doug did a really nice job on the lattice trellis-what a nice backdrop for your fuchsias! I love when husbands want to help out like that. You really are lucky(and I know you know that: )
    Did you say 70F? I sure hope you don't get what we have anytime soon! I even had to get out Aj's winter jacket for school today-yuck.

T I have a pile of woodchips in my drive if you want some: )

On Sat. Chris and I finally did what I was afraid to do years ago....I can only imagine what Taryn could be thinking right now....LOL no not *that*. He took a chainsaw to our old(as in decaying) Hydrangea PG standard. The thing had huge gaping rotted holes in the trunk but bloomed prolifically each year. I can't believe it was able to stand after seeing the hollowed out base. I know it will rejuvenate but it's scary to chop everything but a couple
    stems and hope we can get it back to it's former splendor.

Taryn is your spider bite better yet? Everytime I lift piles of debris out in the yard I check for spiders-after hearing what keeps happening to you.

Sue is the hot tub installed yet?: )

Toodles!
    ~Babs

• deanneart
    17 years ago

OK just a really really quick lightening post here.

T, It looks like you have a Red-breasted Sapsucker there. They feed by drilling rows of parallel holes in tree trunks and then come back and eat the sap and insects it attracts. He doesn't know that your house isn't a tree. Oh dear!

D

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

Great to see so many lively posts!

Ei - that is wonderful that your sister is doing as well as she is with her treatment, and keeping such a positive attitude. You are a wonderful pair of ladies! I can only imagine how hard it is for you both. The love and tenderness you show when you write is touching.

T - I hate to say this, but that is one beautiful bird! (even is what he is doing is far fom beautiful). I've never seen a woodpecker like that. I love patient Boo and your beautiful German Shepherd.

Babs - all the pics were great but the one of Ryan was particularly adorable. What woeful eyes!

Honey - good luck with all your contractors!

I don't think I can ever be accused of being a Heuchera Hog (I've come up with a new term for Marian!). I only have a couple as they do spectacularly badly for me and usually die over the winter. They seem to be foiling my attempts at a garden full of intersting foilage.

Cindy - Hobb's Jewel Box Garden is a fav book of mine, I love those colors. Interestingly another of my favorite English Writers, Monty Don, has a book with the same title describing the making of his Organic garden in England. He used to be a jewelry maker before turniing to gardening, and I love his description of choosing the palette for flowers adn weaving things together. I too am shuddering to think what adds the phrases sl-t and garden p-rn will bring up - eeek!

Tonight is my book group. I missed last month so I'm really looking forward to getting together tonight. I might have mentioned the book we read - The Namesake - a fascinating story about the immigrant experience and different cultures in modern America. Should be a good discussion. I'm also rather looking forward to a mid-week glass of wine!

Must go fling soemthing together for supper

Mary

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Eden, V and Mary- I so enjoy knowing what you ladies are reading. As for me, it is a mystery tonight while DH is away. The latest Fine gardening magazine has parts of the book "Outside the Not So Big House" which may be next on your list V! By the way, there is a section in FG on clematis too. Winners of the container contest appear in this issue and might just give you some ideas. I certainly liked the winning entries!

I've been enjoying some Corydalis these days. A friend gave me some tiny bulblets last Fall as a birthday gift and I am seeing tiny blooming plants NOW! They come from Latvia! Here is the first to bloom.

{{gwi:156478}}

Tonight I have covered as many things as possible. On 10 acres, that's not very much! Cross fingers that I don't lose all the budding plants to frost over the next few days! Then the box with a new Reine des Violettes rose arrived. Sometimes I wonder about the timing of things...

Following along with the tales of the rascal woodpecker, heuchera aquisition, pedicures, Six Hills Giant take over, bark chips and more. :-)

Enjoy your evening,
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

It looks like our abnormally warm weather is over for the time being around here. We're got a frost/freeze warning for tonight so the greenhouse is zipped up tight, I've covered the banana and put nursery pots over the alyssum in my container gardens. Looking at the 15 day forecast it looks like we're in for more of the same for the next couple of weeks. I did get ALL of the laundry done today so that's my big accomplishment. Exciting huh?

Cindy and Mary, I have the Jewel Box Garden too. I got it out this afternoon for another look and both books have just beautiful pictures. If you like Jewel Box and you haven't read Shocking Beauty seek it out because you'll like that one too.

Michelle, the garden stake you made is just beautiful and I love where Ei has placed it in her garden.

Ei, I can only echo what everyone else here has mentioned about how lucky your sister is to have you helping her through this rough time. She sounds like a pretty strong lady herself and I'm also keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Here's a picture of heuchera black bird Michelle. It's one of the darkest heucheras I've seen.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

T, I hate to say it but that woodpecker appears to be thumbing his beak at you.

Thanks alot you enablers-I just zipped over to Amazon and bought both Thomas Hobbs books along with another called "A Year at North Hill" by Joe Eck and Wayne Winterrowd. North Hill is a renowned private garden in southern VT that Monique, Les, Deanne and I will be visiting at the end of August.

Babs, no, the hot tub is on order. It should be another few weeks before we see it here then the electrician has to make an appearance. Just as well...I have enough other things to do right now. Tonight Tom dug out the second dwarf white pine that was on the demo list. Nothing like a clean slate...hehehe.

How vigorous are all these new Heucheras? Many of the new introductions I've tried the past couple of years have been weaklings. One of my favorites is 'Amethyst Myst', an old standby and for good reason. Another I've been impressed with is 'Molly Bush'. It has a nice heavy leaf and somewhat upright growing habit (for a Heuchera anyway). 'Obsidian' has great color but seems to be a slow grower. I tend to prefer the purple leafed varieties over the others.

It's official...Mackenzie's new family (hopefully-if all goes well) is coming to meet her on Saturday afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed that she doesn't growl at the kids-or that I don't. Right now she's curled up with Nick on the dog bed probably wondering why she just can't stay here.

Enjoy what's left of your night!

Sue

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Rick and I put up some of the replacement siding on the garage. Im sick of home improvement projects. Although, I do admit that this was my idea as the crummy siding was making the garden look bad. LOL I did spend a little more time cleaning in the shed.

Babs, thats a great idea. Ill probably have them finished by IU10. LOL Eileen had sent me such a huge box of goodies, I just wanted to thank her and maybe brighten her day a little.

Sue, funny but I bought 3 h. Amethyst Myst last summer and I dont see any signs of life on them but do all the others that I have. I thought that h. Peach Melba didnt seem to be a strong grower, but at least it made the winter. I really like Keylime Pie for the bright spots that it adds to the spring garden. That one is very vigorous.

Eden, Black Bird will be very pretty in the right combination. Im sure you will know what that will be. Thanks for the info on Garden Shed. Ill have to look for it. Things are moving slowly in that dept.

Mary, LOL "Heuchera Hog" I like that. I hope you have an enjoyable evening.

DD called and my poor little Kenzie has another ear infection. She did get on the phone and as clear as a bell said "bye bye" to her grandma.

Night all
    Michelle

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

Well it was 36 degrees out here this AM and is apparently going to be this cold in the mornings for the next week or so. We got that cold weather all you guys west of here were complaining about. As I bring all these fuchsias up from the basement the collection I have to bring into the garage at night gets larger and larger. Well, I woke up at 4;38AM and zipped out of bed so I can tell the longer days are finally affecting my sleeping patterns. There is nothing better than getting an early start to the day. Im hoping to be able to hit the gym by 6:00AM or so.

Michelle, Id like to know what kind of vitamins you are taking. I cant believe how much you accomplish in a day. That is terrific you are making progress on the garage siding but that would be the last thing Id want to be doing this time of the year. Thanks for the information on Keylime Pie. My Amber Waves are toast. They did well the first year then faded away each subsequent year. Im going to replace them with either Marmalade or Keylime Pie. What do you do to mulch your heucheras over the winter? ~~ Hope Kenzie is all better soon. My DD was prone to ear infections and it seemed we spent the first four years of her life in the doctors office until I figured out she was allergic to milk. It was the allergies that caused the constant ear infections. Once we got her on milk substitute the infections got down to infrequent to rare.

Sue, best of luck with MacKenzies meeting on Saturday. Will they take her home if it is a fit? Hope so. I know you are ready for your household to get back to normal. How is Zoes bladder infection? Did that clear up?

Babs, so did you chop the PeeGee to the ground and it will grow back from suckers??? So happy you like the trellis. Doug is one clever dude. Lately he has become the bread baking expert and has decided to take over the new Zoijirushi bread machine. Hes tweaked our whole grain recipe to the point where it is a lovely loaf with a good rise for a whole grain bread. My bread was always heavier so he is pretty proud of his bread baking skills. The only problem with this is Im probably eating too much bread! LOL Ive been having a couple slices a day and I used to only have one slice a day. I have eliminated any carbs from dinner though to make up the difference.

Eden thanks for the info about over wintering caladium. If you cant do it consistently Ill assume that it cant be done and will just opt to buy new ones each year. Im going to have to check out that Thomas Hobbs book. Ill probably end up buying it for my garden book collection. Im sure I dont have enough gardening books. LOL

Marian, Please email me your address again. As Ive told the others, I put those addresses in a safe place and cant seem to locate them. Ill try to get your coleus out to you by Friday or early next week. Are there any of the varieties I talk about that you already have or anything you particularly would like?

Mary, so far the weather looks like a go for Sunday. Woohoo!!!! This is going to be so much fun.

OK so Id really like to get myself to the gym by 6:00AM so to that end Ill say bye for now. Have a great day all!

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

It got down to 30F here last night but I just took a quick tour of the garden and none of the plants look worse for the wear. It's bright and sunny this morning but still chilly, 52F. The birdbaths are still frozen over from last night too. My biggest goal for today is getting some dahlias potted up. I have Bella today too.

Deanne, I too love getting up early, especially at this time of year but for some reason this year it's been 6:30 or 7 before I'm waking up. You really need one of the portable greenhouses for this time of year so you can quit lugging all of those plants in and out of the garage. You wouldn't believe how much you can cram into one. In fact I think I'll go out right now and take a picture of the inside of mine so you can see. Be right back...

The floor...

{{gwi:156479}}

The shelves...

{{gwi:156480}}

See how much you can fit in there? You need this!

Michelle, I'm another one who's amazed at what you fit into your days. You are a very productive person and an inspiration to me! Hope Kenzie's ear infection goes away quickly. Poor baby!

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one here who's not only a plant collector but a garden book collector too! Sue, I picked up A Year At North Hill and another book by Joe Eck called Elements of Garden Design, both used copies, over the winter, but haven't had time to look at either of them yet. They're in a stack on my dresser though so they're in the lineup, lol.

I agree that I find not alot of the new heucheras are very strong growers. I bet 20-30 varieties that I've bought over the last couple of years have faded away. They are hard to resist though. I'd have to say my favorite heuchera is snow angel.

Marie, I agree that I really liked some of the winning container gardens in FG this issue. Sounds like you're getting the same cold weather as us.

Babs, we had a pile of woodchips in our driveway for a couple of weeks but it's finally gone now.

FYI, I've never had a pedicure. I don't know if I'd like someone messing with my toes.

Gotta run and get a few things done before Bella the Ball gets here.

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Ei, I believe you asked if I was coming to IU3. Rick and I both plan to come. The motel charges hit my credit card this month so we are committed. I cant wait to meet everyone. By the way I wanted to mention how cool I thought your street name was.

Eden, I like your greenhouse. I think I need one. You guys wouldnt think I was so productive if you could see my house right now. Cleaning is not a gardening season thing. LOL I picked up a Snow Angel last summer and it is also a vigorous grower. It stayed evergreen for me and the rabbits left it alone.

Deanne, LOL about vitimans. Its not that, Im just crazy! The siding project shouldnt take long and Rick will want to be in the field as soon as it dries up. Im not real crazy about it right now, but it will look so much better. Its the side that faces the road too. Im thinking about taking Monday off and then I will have the whole day to myself. Although, I still have a gift certificate for a massage that I may try to use.
    I actually dont mulch the heucheras. How cool about Dougs bread experimenting. Rick used to do that too, but we havent used ours for quite a while. I am actually not that fond of bread.
    You have been a bad influence on me. Yesterday I was a greenhouse and saw a nice big fuchsia Gartenmeister. I just couldnt help but pick it up. It was pretty cheap too.

I think I need to adjust my sleeping schedule so that I could go out into the garden for a bit in the early morning. Im a night owl, but lately Ive been waking around 4 and then sleeping poorly after that.

I am so jealous of you easterners with all your get togethers. What fun that must be.

Later
    Michelle

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Deanne, I e-mailed you from your GW page. I HOPE I sent the right address! :-(
    I forgot to answer your question as to which coleus I prefer. Actually any will be fine, but I am espacially partial to the orange one, and any variegated ones. I can't remember the names of any that you have posted about. I do remember the pics of the orange ones.

I kid you not about sending the wrong address..... I am 'really' losing it! But I am certain it is the right one. I checked and rechecked before sending it. It would have been better if I had used the address that I have, but I think I remember you telling me that you don't use that one very often.

I bought a 6pack of mixed coleus, and a 4pack of the really dark leaved ones. I also bought 2 beautiful dark-leaved New Guinea Impatiens, a Fiesta 'Ole' Peppermint Impatiens, a 'Soprano Light Purple' Osteospernum, and a Euonymmus japonicus ' Aureo-marginatus'. I hope to make a beautiful combo with some of the dark-leaved plants and the Osteospernum. They look lovely in the tub that I have them setting in, waiting to go into their permenant places.

Marie, that Corydalis is soo pretty. I wish they would be happy growing here.

Eden, I love your greenhouse, but how in the world do you get in to it to tend the plants? How I wish I had such a greenhouse, butI really need a full-sized one.

Hugs for Eileen and sister, and for Mary...... and everyone else that need them.

Marian

• taryn
    17 years ago

Eden, pedicures are WONDERFUL! Don't knock it 'til you try it! Love your greenhouse, you enabler you. Deanne you DO need one of these! If mine wasn't glass I'd bring it with me.

Babs, no not WHAT? LOL! Hope PG survives the hack attack. Loved RY-guy, Mertensia and other spring lovelies. Wendy thanks for Mertensia eyecandy too!

Loving all the pics here, ain't spring grand! Only I put my back out Sunday shoving my stepper under the pinball machine to make our family room appear more spacious for a showing. Or maybe it was lying on the ground trying to get Hellebore pics yesterday that pushed it over the edge? I don't know, but it starts at the base of my skull and goes right down to behind my left knee, so needle doc is seeing me at 3:30pm. That plus Devin is home with stomach flu today along with half his school so I'm sucking back green tea with yerba matte and ginger.

Deanne, thanks re plantlets! When I traded garden plants many times before APHIS came along I just mailed them via air with roots moist in papertowel and baggies and foliage free to breath. Airholes in box and a note saying please don't leave in the sun and they always got there fine, even it if took 7-10 days. Would think it would be the same with houseplants.

T that red-breasted PEST looks mighty cocky as he peers around the corner at you! When I told Glenn he was moving to the other side of the house to continue his pecking DH said, "That's when you bring out the specially-marinated grubs". I would balk at that, he's soo pretty, but there has to be a way to stop him, humanely. Good luck.

Yes, we're really selling Christine! She was a great little camper once we figured out & addressed her quirks and foibles. We bought her, having never owned one, then 6 days later took her several thousand miles and back for a 3 week trip to Montana~~it was a learning curve to say the least, lol! She's great now, even has air conditioning, but we've bought a hardtop which will be less hassle and store more kidstuff. Will decorate it for Christmas in August too...:) Chrissy is doing very well on Ebay, though has until Sunday 'til auction end. We are popping her up today for the afternoon and I'm expecting several potential buyers. Follow C's fate here: BYE BYE CHRISTINE

Drema and Cindy, listen to Ei and Deanne--we all feel like that sometimes when things aren't working the way we thought they might, but that is part of the challenge and the joy (when we get it right) of gardening. Cindy I forgot to comment on your pics, which were lovely! I really like the combo with the true blue flower with the pink tulips--is that an Anemone? I'm feeling really weird with my garden right now. I mean, what is still in the ground won't be *mine* much longer (though there are still a few I'm going to pot and move). And half my combinations are gone, in pots in the greenhouse instead of their usual homes. It's a bit overwhelming to think I'll be starting over again somewhere else, but I'm ready for a fresh start and a clean slate. If we ever sell. May have to dig out and pot up all my plants and sod everything over with grass if we don't attract a gardener to buy it soon.

Actually, got a call from my agent yesterday saying we had a signed offer on this place last week, but it didn't even get presented because the DH hasn't been at his job long enough to qualify for financing. So he's on some kind of financial probation period. Maybe they'll come back once he's put in the time required if we're still on the market. I'm tired of these *almost* deals, and want the real deal soon!

Ei how great to see a nice long newsy post from you! Like Deanne, I feel your posts (and many others too) are a verbal treat, so get myself a tea and settle in for a good read when I see your name. Best wishes, prayers and all good blessings going out to you and your sister. She sounds like a trooper, and attitude is half the battle. No I didn't get your email re the seeds, have only heard from Babs re seeds. But so glad they got there safely & hope they do well for you. Mary did you get my email about Lakota? Or am I in a spam filter somewhere, lol! There's been a few times I've emailed and not heard back so wonder if other's emails are acting up too?

Well, just got the other boys, half day today, and Devin has miraculously perked up now that his bros are home. :) He has seemed pretty unsick all morning so while he missed some school I'll be thrilled if he's fine and we don't have flu to contend with. I can't imagine worshipping the Goddess of the White Porcelaine with spasms and sciatic pain radiating down my leg at the same time--too horrible to contemplate for long!

Time for lunch, laundry, and getting Glenn's dinner ready for him to take to work tonight, before people come to see Christine. Hi to all I've missed and have a great day all!

Taryn

Heuchera (unknown, grown from seed) & Forget-me-nots foliage for Marian:

{{gwi:156481}}

I'm a Hellebore Hound too:

{{gwi:156482}}

And a Corydalis crone (this one's C. cheilanthifolia):

{{gwi:156483}}

And a Salvia Salivator: (4 year old S. argentea looks mighty happy to be entering a new season a few days after potting! Me too!):

{{gwi:156485}}

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Taryn, thanks for the foliage pic. I'm not sure if I have anything like that in the bed, and it is too wet to go searching today. At least I know I haven't pulled anything that looks like that, but if I remember right, there are plants in there that look like that.
    I do have a Salvia argentea like yours. I dug it out of the crock pot ( looks like a literal chamber pot, only smaller) that it has been growing in for the past 3 years, and planted it in to the ground. It has been raining off and on ever since, so it is very happy.
    Oooo, I have Corydalis envy!

My earliest peony ( other than 'Molly') is opening, and several iris. A differant type of iris is blooming in the front yard bed. I couldn't remember planting them, and when the bloom stalk first came on I was thinking:"The plant looks like a Spiderwort, but the bud looks like an iris". I finally discovered they are Dutch Iris, and I had bought a Wal Mart package of 12 bulbs last fall. I see about 4-5 more plants,
    ( no more flower stalks), and am wondering where I stuck the rest. :-(

I bought a hardy clyclamen awhile back, and planted it on the north-west end of our house. I hope it grows, and that I remember that it is there!

I met up with one of Nolon's cousin's wives in WalMart tuesday. She asked why I was buying plants...smile. She said she wasn't going to buy any. ( Sure)
    I said ," Maybe I could sneak over and plant stuff in your beds like you used to in mine." She just grinned.

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

It's turned out to be a really beautiful day and an unexpected 70F. My cercis canadensis covey came in the mail today from Roslyn Nursery. It looks like a 4 ft. stick, lol.

Taryn, loved your pictures. Your heauchera looks like h. cathedral windows to me. It's one of my favorites. Sorry about your back and sure hope you don't get the stomach flu.

Marian, the greenhouse isn't usually quite that packed with plants but I threw everything in there last night because of the freezing temps.

Here's a couple of pictures from our playtime this morning

{{gwi:156486}}

{{gwi:156488}}

Hope you're all having a good afternoon. I just put Bella down for a nap and I think I'm going to take a quick one too. She can sure tire me out.

Eden

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What a beauty Bella is!

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Shhhhhhhhhh...I promise not to make noise while Bella and Eden are napping...but I wanted to show Michelle my mower. Here it is after I took it around a section of the property today.

{{gwi:156490}}

And now I know why I've been humming this song all day! Eden's Brad sang it so nicely for us at last year's Idyllunion and it is the name of her new Heuchera. I'm sure Eden knows the words by heart, but for the rest of us:

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
    Take these broken wings and learn to fly
    All your life
    You were only waiting for this moment to arise
    Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
    All your life
    You were only waiting for this moment to be free.

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
    Into the light of a dark black night.

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
    Into the light of a dark black night.

Take these broken wings and learn to fly
    All your life

When I returned from my trip I asked DH to learn this one and he said it was too hard! Way to go Brad!

Here is a neat plant just surfacing. It is called Gillenia and has tiny white star shaped flowers later on.

{{gwi:156492}}

Taryn, I love your photo of the Corydalis cheilanthifolia. I see mine is surfacing, but it looks so tiny! I hope I didn't lose it to the voles! Marian, sorry corydalis don't grow for you. I think they need winter cold to grow. But you get to grow all those wonderful dogwoods that don't make it here, so I guess things are fair for once! ;-)

A bit windy, too cold at night, but a very beautiful day nevertheless!

Off to pay some bills-
    Ta-Ta!
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Wow Marie, that's one snazzy machine. Tell Ric not to feel bad, Brad learned how to play Blackbird probably 25 years ago but it took him a long time and lots of practice from what I remember. I'n going to have to google Gillenia. I love the emerging foliage.

Hi T, what's going on with you? How's your w.pecker today?

I must be on a picture posting binge today but I wanted to show you all the baby begonias. It just amazes me that they propagate this way.

{{gwi:156494}}

{{gwi:156495}}

{{gwi:156496}}

Isn't that just the coolest thing?

Eden

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Hi everyone! Very busy at work all of a sudden - what a surprise. This will be a quickie-I'm-still-alive post.

Eden, I realize now that your garden was only missing one thing when we visited - an adorable granddaughter! What a sweetheart, and you must enjoy her so much. And aren't those begonias amazing? I think two of the most amazing things in the plant world are the flowers of the various dicentras and the way a small fragment of begonia leaf will create a whole new little plant.

'bug, I thought for a moment you were naming your mower Michelle! Not a bad idea, though.

Last night we had a frost warning with a predicted low of 34, but in the middle of the night they changed it to a freeze warning and it dropped to 30. I would have moved more things into the garage had I known. I only did the briefest of glances this morning since it was still 30 when I left. I hoping a lot of things bounced back during the day.

That's all for now. Good reading today! Marie, you've guessed correctly on my next book to read, but I'm running shy on reading time right now. I'm hoping to get started this weekend. (yeah, right!)

Bye for now,

V.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

That's some heavy equipment, Marie!! A grass "hog"!! Neat.

O, Eden, Im jealous - I've been lusting after the Cercis Covey (aka Lavender Twist) for couple yrs. now & decided to spring for one next year (after figuring out a place for it). You'll have to tell me how yours does -- Roslyn's did seem to be more "reasonable" in price on theirs in the size/price ratio ($ per inch?).... I can't wait to hear about it. Looked locally but couldnt find. Bella is the princess - what a cutie.

Okay almost time to skeedaddle...
    "Ciao."
    --Cindy

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Mary, look what I found.....your toad in cement.

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Eden, What size is your greenhouse? It looks like it holds quite a bit.
    Those begonia cuttings are fun aren't they?
    Is your walkway made with one of those concrete molds? I have been wanting to try one of those for a couple of years now.
    I really enjoyed seeing the bones of your garden. It looks like a great little space. I imagine you enjoy it so much.
    And now Bella will too. She looks very happy to be sailing away in grandmas garden. Too cute. Is that the jacket she got for her birthday?

T, I hate it that Woody is wrecking your house. I hope you find a solution soon. Any sign of wood chips yet?

Ah ha GB. A Kubota even. That should get the job done. We have a John Deere that is twenty years old and still kicking. Knock on wood. I don't want to jinx it. It has a lot of worn this and thats but it has been a workhorse.
    Have been enjoying all you pictures of spring flowers. Our trees have been really leafing out and the pollen has been flying like crazy. Do you have your Tiger Eye Sumac planted in sun or shade? I thought I might have lost mine but it has leafed out. It isn't getting much sun where it is. I may have to move it.

That Gillenia is a neat little plant. How big does it get?

V, I guess being busy at work is a good thing. When I worked I would rather be busy. The time passed faster that way. Unless of course, things weren't going well.
    I was happy to hear your DD was accepeted at the college of her choice. I really didn't have any doubts.
    Your auction purchase was pretty neat.
    I brought plants in last night. But everything else seem to be alright, so I didn't tonight. Will I be sorry?
    I put together four big containers today and still have seven more to do.

Cindy and Drema, I get really overwhelmed sometimes with all I have started but can never seem to get finished here. Thank goodness most of it seems to bloom in spite of my never getting it all weeded or mulched or divided. And I'm always needing to move something that I shouldn't have planted in that spot. Like I told DH tonight,"some year I'll get it done,if I don't run out of years" LOL. It's the journey that counts. Right?

Marian, Lol about your Dutch Iris discovery. I hope you find your for get me nots seedlings. What exactly is "Molly"? I'm thinking a peony from hearing everyone talk. I know it was from Ei. What kind is it? I can't wait for my Buckeye Belle to bloom. It is my favorite. Of course I stuck it in a spot that is not visible from the house. So I will move it this fall.
    I am seeing several of my Jain iris bloom for the first time this year. Some of them bloomed last year already. Hi Jain if you are reading here at all.
    If anyone notices Jain posting pictures in the gallery, give us a heads up. I love seeing her gardens.

Deanne, Doug did a fantastic job on that trellis. It sure dresses up that area. Not that it ever looked bad. And he bakes bread too. And flys you to see GW friends. What a guy. Not to mention he helps dig out rocks for those lovely flower beds.
    I hope all your tests came out ok.

Taryn, I'm happy to hear you are feeling better these days. Except for messing up your back of course. Hope Christine and your house sell quickly. I know you would love to get settled somewhere in time to get your new garden going. How do the boys feel about this probably being their last year at this school?
    I notice I have a couple of volunteer seedlings from the burgundy salvia that I started from your seeds. I will have to move those as they are in a pathway.
    I'm guessing you won't be working at the "Weedy Place" this year?
    Bet you can't wait to try out the new camper .

Michelle sorry to hear Kenzie has a ear infection. Wyatt has had a lot of those. I'm hoping he will outgrow them soon.
    I need to pick him up soon for a day at Mimi's house. I haven't done that for awhile. He is growing up to fast.
    I divided my heuchera Crimson Curls. I thought I had wrecked it as it didn't divide as easily as my Plum Pudding one does. I wound up with several pieces. I'm not sure they will all make it. But most look like they will. I really just wanted to make two but it didn't work that way.

Sue, I lost one of the light color varigated heuchera over winter.(can't remember the name right now). But what really makes me mad is I lost my "Sunrise" echinacea. I loved that flower color. I don't have any problems with other echinaceas so why that one? And I had it planted in a nice combo.
    I hope Mackenzie gets a good forever home.

Ei, You ask if I planned that Bergina-phlox combo. I didn't. I think some of my best combos just happen. I try, but not everything works right.

Ok, my eyes are getting heavy, so hi to anyone I missed. Babs for one, I know there are others. Later Norma

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

I'll put this at the end of the idyll so I don't have to see it at the beginning of the new thread. I checked the gardens tonight and I have heavy freeze damage to my Anemone 'Robustissima' (or not-so-robust-is-it-now?) The new growth was up to 10 inches long on some plants and it looks like it's all dead. Not what I would have expected to take such a heavy hit. And the bad news is this is the garden that the Aster 'Purple Dome' had decided to abandon, so I may end up with rather large holes.

It's not supposed to get as cold tonight, but the plants are staying in the garage for the night. The stinky part is that when they go in for the night, they have to spend the day inside as well, because I leave for work at 6:30 am and it's still pretty cold at that time.

I'm still up because the farmer in the field east of us is out in the field with his tractor and the dogs are very disturbed by the noise. It's not very loud; it's just that the dogs don't hear this very often so they're not used to it. Much growling and barking going on!

V.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Morning Guys!

Poor T! That rotten woody! I'm sure you've probably already did a web search, but I'll post a few links I found anyway. They suggest using mylar or bird netting to discourage the woodpecker. They say he may be staking out his territory and in that case you want to try to discourage him as soon as possible or you may not ever be able to get rid of him. Anyway, you can read it for yourself...hope *something* will work for you. It seems like I can only post one in the optional link section, so here is the other site:

http://www.gf.state.az.us/w_c/urban_woodpecker.shtml

You can copy and paste into your web address and it should take you to the link. BTW, really enjoyed seeing sweet, beautiful Boos pic...I *love* his name too and thinking if I ever get another pet, Id love to name him Boo its so cute! :-)

Im not feeling too well this a.m. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling nauseated and after about an hour had projectile vomiting...sorry about the visual guys! It was just awful. Im wondering if its something I ate at the Taco Bell. Dotty and I stopped there as we were both hungry. We were going to Sunrise Nursery (which is in the middle of nowhere) so we didnt really have any other choices. Or, it could be from the Mucinex which I tried for the first time. It says you should drink a lot of water with it and I tried, but Im not a big drinker. Im going to have to ask Dotty if she had any problems last night. In any case, I sure hope its not the flu, as were leaving for Arizona this week-end!

Well Marian, I tried to get pics the other day, but we also had Babs sleet! I see Taryn posted the myosotis for you (Thanks Taryn for picking up the ball). Im still going to post a couple too, since I already had them loaded...LOL! One is in full bloom:

{{gwi:156256}}
    and the other is still a tiny baby:

{{gwi:156258}}
    Hope it ends up you do have some of these. I think they should be blooming by you now though, as mine are just starting and I know your season is earlier than mine. Also including a pic of that bergenia I was talking about. It *is* called Pink Dragonfly and I think it may prove to be a pretty reliable bloomer. Here is a pic of it last year (its 2nd year in the garden):

{{gwi:156260}}

I abused it last fall and divided it into three and look, here is one of the tiny divisions already trying to flower! :-O Poor pitiful little thing...shame on me for being so greedy and dividing it last fall. But look, below the flower I *do* see teeny tiny leaves beginning to form:

{{gwi:156261}}

Anyway, it might be a bergenia you want to try if you have problems with them not blooming.

Eden! What a delight it was this morning to see Bellas smiling face! :-) She is adorable and it seems to me she is growing really fast now. I know toddlers can be a lot to keep up with... they are so *full* of energy, but Im sure she brings grandma a lot of joy too! :-) Really enjoyed seeing your Begonia adventures and very clever to use a plastic tub like that. I think I will try them from leaf cuttings next year...it *is* very cool to see!

BTW, thanks guys! You are so sweet to say those nice things, but honestly, I am not doing much; certainly not more than sis would do for me if the situation were turned around and I know not more than any of you would do for your sister too! Anita has always been the most supportive, kind, generous big sister a girl could ever hope for.

Sue, ditto on the Obsidian. I *absolutely* love the foliage on that heuchera and it always amazes me how well it holds its gorgeous, shiny dark foliage, even in full sun! But you are right, it is *such* a slow grower. I would like to buy more and cram them all together to get the full look I want. I have three and spaced them correctly and unfortunately, they are *still* about the same spacing apart! :-( Lime Ricky seems a *little* better with getting some size on it, but the other one I *love* Peach Flambe, looks like it will be another wimp in the size department. I have three from last year. They all came back, but dont seem to be any larger than they were last year.

LOL Michelle! Glad you found my emails. Im only laughing because it sounds just like something I would do. There are just too many things to remember when you are busy and you are probably the hardest working woman I know! :-)

Hi Babs! :-) Youre right...you wouldnt have to twist my arm at all! You sure do come from a beautiful part of the country and how nice to have that gorgeous place so close to your home! I think that is so neat that you want to make a scarf for Chriss CW. And a hand painted one sounds lovely and so personal. Im sure she would be touched that you would do that for her *and* it would be so unique! They had a pretty good selection at the store, more than I thought there would be, but nothing like what you describe and Im sure with your talent it will turn out beautifully! We got siss at a place out here called Naturally Yours. The scarves are kind of hard to describe. They are not "flat". They are formed in a way that reminds me of Amish hats, but you take the "tails" and tie them to the back...does that make any sense? Im not good at describing things. If you would like, I could get you one and send it to use as a prototype?

Taryn I have been perusing Ebay for about a year now and I can see why you do so well! Your posts are wonderful and I love your sense of humor...Heck, if I were an Ebayer Id bid on your stuff for sure because you are so honest, funny, creative and it really comes across in your listings. Christine looks great BTW! There seems to be a lot of interest in her and I hope she gets top dollar and a happy home! :-) Count me in as another hellebore hound yours is gorgeous BTW! Thanks for the link to your pics. Does that gorgeous deep pink one have a name? Have you tried the stinking hellebore? I had one out front before the addition, which is gone now...boo hoo. Not sure if it was caused by the move or just that it isnt hardy enough for here. I *did* see them at Sunrise Nursery yesterday and was tempted to buy. Maybe Ill get one the next time we go there, which will probably be next week...LOL!

Cool plant Marie! And congrats on the new mower...shes a beauty!

Deanne thank you for being such a sweetheart! :-) Well, Im certainly not going to say "No" if you really dont mind sending me a fuchsia! :-) BTW, I have a little confession to make. I have been holding out sending you your plants because I was *hoping* Freckles would be a little better groomed before sending him along, but Im afraid I just dont know how to pinch properly. Oh well, I know you will make him look like that happy fellow he really is; besides your Illustrius is getting too big and am worried about waiting much longer to ship him. I will send both next week when we get back from Arizona.

V sorry to hear about Anemone Robutissima, but it is a very hardy plant and Im sure it will send up new shoots very quickly if it is an established plant. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

You guys are such enablers and really hard on my pocketbook...LOL! Now Eden has me nearly convinced that I need a portable greenhouse and should buy some begonias just so I can start doing those cool leaf cuttings and Ive already placed my order for the Hobbs books...LOL!

Okay, I guess I should be going now. Ive got lots to do to get ready for our trip, so best to get to it...TTYL! Ei

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Hi Ei: ) Thanks for mentioning about the type of scarves you were looking at. what you describe is exactly what I found when I looked online. I wondered if that shape was a better one than using a regular flat scarf wrapped on the head-maybe the type you talk about is easier to apply. No no-don't send me a prototype I most likely can find a pattern for the formed type-I was just curious what type your sister was interested in and what type was easier to manage.

Eden you are amazing: ) I love how you dabble in all kinds of propogating-those begonias are so cool! So do you just stick the sliced leaf into the medium and mist them till they sprout growth(do you cover them during the initial planting period?)?? What I love about the idylls is that I try so many different things because I get the ideas from you all. Fun!Gotta go buy me some begonias; )
    Bella has just a sweet face! I'll bet she's not getting more teeth at the moment-she looks SO happy: ) It's neat to think of all the great stories she'll have about playing in her Grandma's garden.

Has anyone had their Buddleia fried by a freeze? The basal foliage is blakened but underneath I still see green so it's alive at the roots but will this affect it's growth much?

I actually meant to comment two days ago but lost my post when I went to check the heuchera link-I always forget to not do that when I have a post being composed: ) Oh well.

Deanne-yes-the stems left from the H.Pee Gee would be basal suckers. H. paniculata is a shrub so I expect a surge of new stems to appear but I will try to develop a standard. I will be really sad if this whole idea flops.

Taryn-I enjoyed reading up on Christine's life on ebay-you are the ebay queen: ) That is wonderful that people are so interested in her-I hope you get big money for her! She really does look good. Hmmm maybe I should sell my house and my family of four could live in her; )...and live off the land(!)
    Ow-your back! Be careful and take good care of yourself. Crossed fingers that everybody stays healthy at your house...so do you think Devin just wanted to play hookie? Amazing what healing qualities siblings can offer lolol.

Yeesh Ryan had his 5yr old check up. He needs his eyes checked by a specialist for possible lazy eye! And he had blood in his urine-even though they said it's not a problem I want to know why that happens. We go back in four weeks for a second hearing test so I'll ask then. AND Ryan had to get two shots...poor guy. He was brave though. He was sure the order for two shots was a mistake and didn't think they were necessary!(He's so funny when he tries to justify things he'd rather not do).

I don't mean to leave abruptly but I need to go buy food. Also, I might be here less because it's coming upon crunch time for the art show,I have some sewing to do for a neighbor,and I tell ya, track season just eats up my quality garden,idyll and bon bon eating time lol. I want my life back; )

~babs

• laurendd
    15 years ago

I just arrived on this message board and was wondering if you really have a woodpecker that needs a home?
    Also, was scanning computer to find out what the proper name is for "red tips" that grow prolifically in Alabama.

• sharonannec
    11 years ago

I had to check this out. I wondered where our feathered friend had landed. He moved out back in '04 - it appears he did not appreciate the many wind chimes we had placed around the outside of the house. Oh, they (the wind chimes, silly) are lovely with many different tones but not overwhelming.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource