Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitamo

Idyll#442 Tranquility of leaves

anitamo
14 years ago

The title comes from something 'bug and woody were discussing, and it sounds so serene that it stuck in my mind. What would a garden be without leaves? So many textures, colors, sizes and fragrances. Share your favorite leaves. I'll post one soon.

Carry on...

Comments (102)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well DH is horizontal and snoring. I guess helping me stake 3 clematis is exhausting work....

I have mowed half the property and need to refill the tank before continuing. I also need to prepare for a meeting tomorrow and finish preparing pasta for a cold salad for dinner.

Tomorrow I'm pushing for celebrating our anniversary. 40 +1 years. Many ups, many downs along the way. After HIS meeting, maybe we can go to a nursery? I need something. Today was the first day I cried for Reed. It's a rotten day.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Crying is a good way to turn a rotten day into an OK one. Tears for a life that was cruelly short are good! and tomorrow will be a much better day that today is.

((('bug)))

I know nothing about Foxtail lilies. Sounds interesting, though.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

2pm beer and waiting for shade to hit the area where I have finally decided to plant out the Nicotiana langsdorfii that I grew from seed and are still languishing in thier cell pack. Also watching Vs team beat my team.

I would love to have some foxtail lilies Woody, but I am afraid they are far too large for my space challenged garden. I read up on them a bit in my Western Garden book, and there were warnings about planting depth, rough handling (!!) and various scenarios involving either wet or dry soil. Winter chill was mentioned and you surely have no shortage of that ! They sound decidedly particular.

Feel better bug !

More leaves

This Pelargonium is new this year. {{gwi:156694}}From Garden 2009

Yarrow {{gwi:156695}}From Garden 2009

Lace cap Hydrangea {{gwi:156696}}From Garden 2009

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

As ususal the variEgated leaves caught my attention, Kathy. I am a sucker for them. And I particularly like "blue" and glaucus foliage. Try as I might I just can't quite get into the chartreuse-y/gold stuff. I have some of it around here, but in small amounts... and have yet to truly embrace an evergreen called, "Yellow Ribbon".

Yesterday was one of those disjointed gardening days. You know, when you do a bunch of little things that collectively don't really seem to make a very big difference (but need to be done) and leave you feeling sort of unfulfilled. I have another day of that ahead of me, I think. It's all necessary, but not always that much fun. I think I'll focus on finishing up the daylilies today.

If I had the waterproofing for the deck canopy I'd do that and put it up. But that will have to wait for mid-week. I also have to restitch a small area of the valence binding that's come undone. And there is a tear in one of the lower corners of the largest screen panel that requires attention. It's really nice to have a place to get that done easily. Today I have to get some new bolts for the sewing chairs. I discovered that the present bolts had been scored on the ends (making it impossible to reuse them) when I adjusted the seat height for the new benches. I've oiled the machine and cleaned it up but haven't really sat down behind it for anything meaningful, but I can already tell that the new tabling and set up is going to work slick. I'm gratified because I've spent a lot of time working in so-so shops "making do" and have really stuck to my guns about what I wanted for this one.

'bug, I made a trip to a favorite nursery the day of Reed's memorial service and returned with Juniperus procumbens "Nana", and a couple of Azaeleas. They are coming nicely into bloom now and I will get a picture of them today. I think of Reed and YOU every time I look at the area and think of the order that's been brought to a formerly very disrupted and messy area. Sometimes it takes a very long time and much thought to bring some semblance of order and grace to something so overwhelmingly ugly. Hang tough and remember why we have dogs. ;)

Julie, Mum was a very precise and measured sort of woman. She rarely swore and only occasionally used "slang" expressions and then usually in a humorous context. But she was very principled when it came to good manners and was very good at diffusing uncomfortable situations. You strike me as that sort of person, too. So, it doesn't surprise me in the least to note that you were recognized for the time, thought, and effort you put into your position. I'm certain you look back on those years with a great deal of pride, rightly so! When I was in Jr. High there was a popular expression used by the "radicals" that questioned Viet Nam, pollution, and women's rights. It was, "Give a damn" and surprisingly Mum really liked it. Caring about things in general and what we do for a living brings meaning and depth to our lives, doesn't it?

Marian ought to be back in force with even more news following the loss of her newsy post yesterday. ;) I wonder how many rodents were circling the perimeter of her home in the dark wondering how they were going to get back in to their larders... .

Saucy's feet must be very "prune-like" this morning. Bet they smell good, too.

I've been reading with interest the antics of Mary's flock. Never ceases to amaze me how easily animals sort out their problems and establish comfortable lives for themselves. Would that we were to accomplish the same thing as easily! I have no trouble envisioning you in the pool returning Red Betty to the safety of the pool deck. In your lime green "drawers", of course. How does Clousseau respond to them? have you "introduced" them? I would be nervous about Rex with the little ones, but he'd likely leave a mature hens alone once he understood he was to "leave it". It's nice to have family and home to turn to when the worries set in.

I was thinking about Randy and his retirement. I'm not sure how long it would take for it to "sink in" that there was no more going to "my job". I always figured I'd keep working until I couldn't any more, so "retirement" has never been part of my plan, lol. I've been diligently moving toward working less and doing the work on my own terms for years now. It must be nice to have the man you like best around more. I would like that. Something tells me that you and Randy have many "outside" interests and the liklihood he'll be "following you around" all day is small. :) How are the New Dawn swags coming along? and how has the Dogwood worked for you (I love our's)?

Hope Deanne pops in today, too. ;)

• deanneart
    14 years ago

A gorgeous sunny day is on tap here and I believe Doug and I are going to get in the car and go for a road trip.

We had a great day and evening yesterday with the CT gardeners coming up for a garden tour and al fresco dining. The highlight of the day, however, was the trip to Loews for Caladium. There truly is nothing like plant shopping with fellow plant nutballs. It all started when Sue and Monique saw the new large hanging basket I just finished. Sue immediately questioned me, "Where did you get those Caladium?" I just smiled and told her Loews. next question, "How far is it from here" to which I replied, "Just a few miles, want to go?" And off we went in the Suburban looking for Caladium. We found a few but somehow the three of us filled the back of the UAV. Monique found a Patio Peach tree shed been looking for for the amazing price of $25. and Sue found a Rhododendron for the same price. They headed back to CT with Sues car stuffed with plants. Almost too much fun.

Im loving all the fabulous photos and the title of this thread. Im a flower girl but also love beautiful textures and colors of foliage. Here is a contribution from my gardens.

{{gwi:156697}}

Mary, Im so sorry you are sill getting such a run around from the HR people. Id be frothing at the mouth. Health insurance is critical and especially so with Davids injury. Hope it all gets resolved soon.

((((Bug))))) Sometimes tears can help.

Im loving all the photos and discussions of Green Roofs. I can just visualize Marys chickens having a garden wonder on their coop roof.

Kathy, I have Burning Bush and love it. Its one of those Coleus I dont want to be without. That combo with Fuchsia Autumnal is gorgeous.

Cindy, surely hope it dries out for you soon.

OK time to get moving here, waving a big hello to everyone. Have a great day!
    Deanne

• chelone
    14 years ago

I really like that vignette, Deanne.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

(((gb)))

I'm not sure how long it'll take for retirement to seem real to Randy. He was saying this morning that he's sleeping much better and feeling more energetic - so I don't think it's going to be too hard of an adjustment:-) His job has already been filled so he has no reason to worry that anyone else is getting overworked by having to cover for his absence.

In our 30s, vague retirement plans involved a lot of travelling. Once my health problems reared their heads, travelling dropped off the list. We may try to take the train to Montreal at some point and see how that goes. One of the things we've always wanted to do is take the cross-counitry train trip, through the Rockies, to Vancouver. If I can manage a train trip to Montreal, we might venture further by train.

Randy is definitely not the type to 'follow me around' all day, but he does need to develop more 'outside interests'. He'll likely be getting a fancy new camera to play with and perhaps take some related courses. For winter we'll probably both be taking courses of some sort. Randy is thinking of perhaps refreshing his French, or taking Italian. He likes to cook too so we have to work on figuring out how to share the kitchen fairly :-) On his 'to do' list is try out a new recipe each week! I picked the recipe last week; his turn this week... Eating healthier and exercising more are also on his list - he's out walking at the moment.... And there are a long list of house issues (painting, de-cluttering, etc.) to go through - good winter tasks.... On the whole, while we'll both have to adjust our approach to tasks, I think we'll get along quite well in retirement. Staying active and busy - physically, mentally and creatively - is key to a successful retirement I think so making sure we do that is our 'job' for the forseeable future.

The New Dawn swags are coming along nicely. When it blooms,I'll try to get some good shots to post. When we were in Toronto last week we stopped at Balfour's (a good used-book store...) and I was looking at a book on climbing roses. I liked the author's approach - he said 'much nonsense has been written about pruning roses' and that more roses have been killed by over-pruning than not pruning. Other than removing older/dead canes or ones that go out of desired bounds, he didn't seem to be really advocating any finicky pruning. I'm not sure who he is/what his 'authority' is but I immediately adopted his attitude! I am no longer worried about the tangle of canes on the arbour and will just tie any in reach onto the chains, cut off any heading into the neighbours shrubs or any that die and leave the rest alone!

The dogwood put on a nice show and I hope it will continue to do so in future years and not succumb to any nasty diseases that I gather the native ones are prone to!

We are long overdue for some pictures of your new workspace Chelone!

Deanne - nice leaves there! It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun and supported the horticultural industry well in these diffcult ffinancial times :-)

• just_t
    14 years ago

Hi,

Popping in with a warning. I was just contacted on FB chat by 'Jerri'. The person, posing as Jerri, said that they were stuck in north London England, had been robbed at gunpoint. All money etc gone and wanted me to send $500 to help them pay their 'ticket fee' so they could get back home.

I've not read here for awhile and have no idea if Jerri really is out of the country, but this didn't sound right (why would Jerri ask me for money). I asked the person where they knew me from a couple of times, they finally responded with "HS". So not true.

I wrote a warning on my FB page.....and when I tried to write a warning on Jerri's page, she (they) removed me as a friend.

Just wanted to warn all the Idylls that use FB.

T.

• Jerri_OKC
    14 years ago

I'm safe and sound at home! Geesh, I can't believe someone would pick my name to try and cheat people. I did check that my account wasn't hacked and changed my pw just to be safe. I'm so sorry T. There's enough drama in life without this kind of stuff!

Jerri (or is it??) J/K LOL

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

lol Jerri

• just_t
    14 years ago

:) Glad you are home and safe Jerri! The person came up in chat with your picture, your name and your last status post below your name. All legitimate and exactly as chat always has been before. I found the person's wording a bit off. They saw my status note and that is when they removed me from your friends' list.

Drama in my little town life. ;^)

T. (who didn't have $500 extra to wire to Jerri when she was in one of her darkest hours).

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Just for the record, our Tim was notified by facebook that his account had been hacked. They said there were 'only' about 250 that had been. He immediately closed out that account, and started another with a new password. He had been using the same password on other accounts! So, he changed all his passwords. This was only about 3 weeks ago.
    Most of my accounts have differant passwords.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Back from the meeting & nursery with a few things. Nothing as grand as Monique, Sue & Deanne's expedition. But I did pick up a couple of meconopsis to enjoy for as long as they last. Last time it was 2-3 years. I found more european ginger and the agastache rupestris I was hunting for. Surprise too! One of DD's friends is working there and we were astonished to be able to catch up with each other. DD used to live in the same house with her in grad school.

We have a friend who sent us an apology because someone was sending around pleas for money so they could return from their trip from England. So the story and technique have been used before Jerri. Seems to be in line with the Nigeria scams of yore.

Too cold out there to work in the garden now, so here are a few photos from a couple of days ago. Enjoy!
    Foliage:
    {{gwi:156698}}

Clematis Markham's Pink:
    {{gwi:156699}}

DH took this picture which I found when I added my flower pics to my files. She looks guilty I think!!!
    {{gwi:156700}}

Must prepare a meal for dinner now. Thanks for all the support.
    'Bug

• chelone
    14 years ago

Here is a shot of the bench base before the top was afixed. I can add a shelf below for storage if I'd like:
    {{gwi:156701}}
    And one of the 4" total locking casters (I believe the helpmeet ordered plugs to cover the bolts):
    {{gwi:156702}}
    The 3 benches configured for a large layout:
    {{gwi:156703}}
    I am able to roll them around with pretty much one hand. That makes nestling them around a machine to support large, heavy pieces of work very easy.

And these are the Azaeleas purchased the weekend of Reed's memorial. I had no idea the color would turn out to be so significant (I took these this very morning!):
    {{gwi:156704}}
    {{gwi:156705}}

I have many more pictures but am not really up to speed on managing them very well, need to work on that! I had just finished the daylily relocation project when it began to rain. I gathered up the deck canopy, hustled it into the bahn and came inside for a shower and some chow. BIL helped me with the camera stuff and my pea brain is still swimming, lol. I had 236 pictures on the memory card.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Another windy day here. We need rain and I'm just plain sick of the wind. This has been a weird spring. Its been quite warm the last week compared to the 60's we had before that. I want some 70's.

I've not planted my containers, I think I'm discouraged by the wind. All the plants are outdoors at least.

Deanne, your foliage shot is so perfect. Everything looks so pristine.

Wow, Chelone the tables are wonderful and will be so handy I'm sure.

(('bug) Tears are usually helpful.

Woody, it sounds like the retirement is quite well thought out with lots to keep Randy occupied. It would be nice if the train travel worked out for you.

One day I decided that I was sick of watering this amaryllis and thought I'd dump it. When I picked it up I was surprised to see a flower stalk emerging.

{{gwi:156706}}

A few foliage shots:

{{gwi:156707}}

{{gwi:156708}}
    This was from last year. I thought I lost the 'Black Scallop' but it is slowly returning.
    {{gwi:156709}}
    This eupatorium 'Prairie Jewel' was a new plant last year. I was suprised how bright the new foliage is. It becomes white and green variegated.
    {{gwi:156710}}
    A few shots from the garden:
    {{gwi:156712}}

{{gwi:156713}}

Later friends
    Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Well hot damn, some pics from the Compound ! Chelone those tables look terrific ! How much do you suppose each one weighs ? They are an excellent size for a particularly vast Bloody Mary Bar with the brake on of course.
    I am down to one measly Azalea which I have not seen a bloom from in at least 3
    years. I dont even remember what color it is Maybe I ought to give it the heave ho. I always like that bright pink color; it is especially welcome as Azaleas bloom very early here, often during some of our more dreary months. I noted Rex lurking in the background (though I suppose it is difficult for anything of his size to lurk, lol.)

Deanne, great foliage combo- is that Huechera Green Spice ? Its my favorite, but mine is living under a Hydrangea that has finally hidden it from view. Im going to rescue it when I get one of my new planting areas ready. Beautiful Hosta too !

Woody, I have always enjoyed train travel, its too bad nice rail routes are so few and far between.

Lol bug, she DOES look guilty !

A few more leaves {{gwi:156714}}From Garden 2009
    {{gwi:156715}}From Garden 2009
    {{gwi:156716}}From Garden 2009

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Michelle and I were 'duo-posting' ---great shots Michelle ! I always enjoy seeing your garden. What is that pinkish spike fowered plant in the last shot ? I've stared and stared to no avail.

Kathy in Napa

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Michelle - what's the name of those irises - very pretty! I'm guessing the pink spires are gasplant?

Chelone - I want your workspace! Very nice arrangement. I'd love to be able to finish the basement here and make a nice large workspace down there.

Very cute Phoebe picture there - not too outrageously guilt-looking :-)

Blue was here today and will be a day guest the rest of the week. Randy will get some nice exercise walking over to pick him up each day and Blue will get some much-needed exercise walking back with him. Next week Blue'll be here for the whole week when his 'mommy' goes to Scotland to meet up with his 'daddy' who is there this week as well. ('Mommy' is not too happy that she couldn't be there this week - and the previous several when 'daddy' was in Denmark - as well.)

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Evening all,

Lovely salmon for dinner with a nice salad. Now Im putting my feet up and enjoying a beverage.

Woody, Im looking forward to seeing the pics of the New Dawn swags.

Bug, great pics! Love that hosta!

Chelone, your benches are fabulous! Wonderful!

Michelle, I just love your blue grass. Ive hoiked mine as they heave out of the ground over winter and in general never look as good as yours. Thats beautiful with the Black Scallop!

Kathy, that Heuchera is Beauty Color ~~ More lovely pics. Is that center one your bamboo?

Nite all
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Shoooie! Kathy, I think your temps have got here. The high was 91F, and now at sunset it is still 79. I am not ready for this....

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Shooie! LOL Marian. I like that one.

Great pictures here on Idylls tonight.

Chelone, I love the tables. They're great. Why do I picture some sort of Idyll races across the Salon on them after you all have your Bloody Marys?

Woody, Randy's retirement sounds like it will be great for you both. Brad has lots of hobbies but since he's not been working this last month he still is somehow able to get underfoot from time to time and I have to admit I'm looking forward to getting back my regularly scheduled life someday hopefully

Kathy, I think thats a dictamus that you asked about in Michelle's photo. I'm surprised hers is blooming already. Mine's just budding up.

Heuchera Beauty of Color is one of the few plants I have multiples of in my garden. One of my favorites!

Michelle, I always love seeing pictures of your gardens. Love that eupatorium. I'm going to borrow that blue grass, black scallop combo if you don't mind...

Marie, hope today was better for you. I think tears are all part of the process and are a good thing. I keep you in my thoughts :)

Brad started painting the conservatory purple today. Pictures when he's finished.

Good evening to all,

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Beauty of Color goes on the list-I have never found my 'Green Spice' again anywhere, and they look quite similar, so this is an option.

Marian, My 90's temps moved east (to your house!) it has not gotten above 75 this weekend here.

Yes Deanne, I actually have 4 Bamboos all in pots , my Black Bamboo is my fave (Phyllostachys nigra) and the one in the pic was not lableled , but my BILs had it when they lived in Mendocino and it stayed about 4ft tall by 5 or 6 wide. They were close to frost free there.

Woody, I don't think I recall Blue? What sort of canine is he ? Maybe we need a pic ?

Kathy in Napa

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Woody, please extend my congratulations to Randy on his retirement. What a milestone. I like the weekly recipe idea too. I've been on a vegetable roasting kick lately. Cauliflower never tasted so good.

In honor of the well-chosen title, more leaves:

Begonia grandis with the satiny leaf:

{{gwi:156717}}

Phlomis italica:

{{gwi:156718}}

Kohuhu, "golfball" pittosporums anchor the big, blue Agave americana:

{{gwi:156719}}

A native fern, Cheilanthes sinuata. Don't know why this photo won't resize smaller:

{{gwi:156720}}

Hoping this week brings the perfect convergence of weather and opportunity for everyone's plans. G'night.

Denise

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good evening

DH arrived home this weekend tired and with a cold. We've had one of those bumpy re-entries. DH was none to pleased to find chicken free-ranging around the pool, told me the quail smelled, was appalled I'd bought David a bee bee gun at a garage sale and thought letting him ride the lawn-mower totally irresponsible. Groan:0( A little humor improved the situation but I sometimes wonder if he would prefer a wife who kept a spotless house, watched TV and manicured her nails. But where would the fun be in that?

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Kathy, as Woody mentioned gas plant - dictamnus. They are very slow growers and hard to find locally. I have three that are finally start to look like something. There's a house in town that we went past just tonight that has a huge stand of it - it inspired me to find some for my garden. Cool bamboo!

Woody, the iris were pass alongs and I don't know the name. I like the minitures and have them in several colors.

Eden, copy away - I'm honored. My 3 gas plants are all in different areas and this one is the furthest along. I find that interesting in the garden. I really noticed it this spring with japanese painted ferns. One was fully leafed out while another was just barely breaking ground.

Denise, you do foliage so well! The last shot looks like an underwater scene with the blue fence. How big is that agave anyway?

Good night
    Michelle

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Did I beat Chelone this morning? Sleep eludes me today. I am busy worrying about all ther garden tasks ahead and the predicted rain before noon in the forecast.

I really admire the work tables in the salon. They are exactly as I imagined too! The way they fit together is just that one step beyond my thinking though, and I would have regretted my mistake very quickly.

Mary, re-entry is always difficult for me. Although it sounds discouraging, I admit to smiling in sympathy. Your image of the fastidious TV watching housewife is a riot. What a bore! I hope DH is out there photographing chicken and quail portraits soon.

Another Dictamnus lover here,
    'bug

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Mary, you reminded me of these lyrics from Little Shop of Horrors...

Well, if not, he's got inner beauty
    And I dream of a place
    Where we could be together at last

A matchbox of our own
    A fence of real chain link,
    A grill out on the patio
    Disposal in the sink
    A washer and a dryer and an ironing machine
    In a tract house that we share
    Somewhere that's green.

He rakes and trims the grass
    He loves to mow and weed
    I cook like Betty Crocker
    And I look like Donna Reed
    There's plastic on the furniture
    To keep it neat and clean
    In the Pine-Sol scented air
    Somewhere that's green

Between our frozen dinner
    And our bedtime, nine-fifteen
    We snuggle watchin' Lucy
    On our big, enormous twelve-inch screen

I'm his December Bride
    He's Father, he Knows Best
    Our kids watch Howdy Doody
    As the sun sets in the west
    A picture out of Better Homes and Gardens magazine

Far from Skid Row
    I dream we'll go
    somewhere that's green.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Monday morning again. We had a 50/50 weekend. Saturday was fairly awful. One of those days where nothing goes right from the minute you put your foot on the floor. But Sunday was nice. The sun finally showed itself and we managed to be productive all day but never made it to the library and fines will follow. DH's back is feeling much better, but he is still being very careful. He was able to drive to the store to pick up bags of mulch and they loaded them in the car and DS unloaded at home. So I am leveling an area of the veggie garden a bit before mulching. Another few containers were filled and have a few more to go and we put a dent in the plant ghetto. All the lettuce is eaten and Bok Choy is next.

DD has a new grill that DS helped her put together on Saturday. First try, the hood was dented and had to be returned, then the gas depot was out of gas. With perseverance she was able to grill her first meal on it Saturday night. She was so excited Sunday morning and loves her new grill, has plants in her window box, and had more company Sunday night for another chance to use her deck and new grill. Made me happy to hear her happiness and she had DS over for dinner too and he had a great time with some of her friends, so I had double happiness. :-)

Thank you Kathy for revising Chelone's Saturday list. :-) What fabulous tables Chelone! Very impressive! Especially the plan for three tables that fit together and move easily. Pure genius. Is there anything that the pair of you are incapable of doing? [g] Really, I think you could go into business selling those tables. It is going to be a very comfortable, efficient and cheery work space. I am loving all the light colors and the view of the trees.

Kathy, your garden must be amazing this year. What great photos, every plant looking pristine. Such variety of foliage, you must be having a blast.

Deanne...lovely vignette!

Woody, Randy's positive attitude for such a major life change is admirable. It sounds like he is happy to have some time to work at his own goals. Happy for you both.

I like that curly hosta and glad to see Phoebe, Marie.

Michelle...everything is looking great in your garden too. Love the color of your Iris and the black scallop edging is so pretty.

Denise...that last photo is so pretty. I like the textures and colors. Very different looking fern, I like it.

I haven't taken any photos lately, but here's a fun one....

{{gwi:156721}}

A yellow-billed hornbill rests its beak on the camera hood at the Johannesburg Zoological Gardens, South Africa.
    Caption and photo by Daniel Born

• chelone
    14 years ago

Blue grass and Ajuga "Black Scallop" really packs a wallop, Michelle. Brilliant and lovely! I have the remainder of some Dictamnus that lingers on and continues to tantalize and ultimately disappoint. I can't quite rip it out, though. I am really enjoying the photographs of the Anita encouraged foliage combinations. Love that harlequin tri-color leaf you posted, Kathy.

Cold here last night and very, very windy. But it's supposed to be a lovely day today and should get a bit warmer as the week progresses. The Impatiens and Browallia in the northern windowboxes will appreciate that! And today is the day I'm going to get Sanitary Ridge mown. Not sure what the helpmeet has planned but I would like to see the fencing of his garden addressed as that's to be changed this year and right now it looks sloppy and messy. But he gets to choose what he wants to do on his only day off of the week.

We certainly could have table races, Eden, thanks for pointing that out. Was that the voice of experience speaking? ;)

Here are some "foliage" pictures from about 3 wks. ago.
    Blue Star juniper and friends:
    {{gwi:156722}}
    Emerging ferns, Hosta, and daffodils:
    {{gwi:156723}}
    The fern dell on the south side of the Compound:
    {{gwi:156724}}
    "Butterflies", next year I hope for more than 5-6 flowers!
    {{gwi:156725}}

I already have another bench/two planned but there is no point in getting the helpmeet's knickers in a twist about it just yet. I find "re-entry" most challenging when one or the other of us has a lot on our mind and is dissatisfied with ourselves. That whole criticism scene wasn't about you at all, Mary (my two cents). Humor is a universial antidote, I think. With that in mind you could point out that free-range poultry will sharpen his immune system to avian flu strains. And how could he smell anything with a cold? ;)

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Good morning all,

A lovely 75 degree breezy day is forecast today so Im going to use it to feed the containers and get the new stash planted up. Id gotten the driveway planting area completely cleaned up and it has turned into a pot ghetto again. Id like to get it all taken care of today.

Im hoping the water lilies put on some rapid growth as I dont want to put the large fish outdoors until they have more cover from the GB Heron that took four of my larger fish last spring.

Denise, I almost bought that begonia yesterday but couldnt face trying to winter over yet one more huge plant so I decided not to. I absolutely love all your combinations! Gorgeous!

Eden, I have to agree about that Heuchera, its one of my favorites and I have multiples of it as well. Cant wait to see the purple conservatory!

Kathy, I need to get some bamboo.Notice the word need..

Oh dear Mary, sorry about the grumpy reentry. I cant imagine hed want a Stepford Wife. If he got one hed be bored to tears in no time.

PM your story about DDs new grill and her first meal on her new deck made me smile! Flowers in the window boxes, Lovely!

Lovely pics Chelone, I too love emerging hosta and ferns. ~~ RE table races, If you put air mattresses on the tables and turned them into guest beds imagine where the Idyllers would find themselves in the morning upon awaking? The possibilities are endless. Sniker

OK off to start my day, have a good one everybody!
    Deanne

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I'm back! I just spent an hour with you guys - you are fun and interesting for sure :)

Julie, I didn't say anything, but all my non-Navy time (hmm...and even a bit of Navy time) was spent wearing an HR hat - Staffing/recruiting was my specialty.

Mary, your DH's reentry sounds alot like what goes on around here. I hope he woke up on the right side of the bed today and you all move forward from there :)

GB, your clematis dilema brought back memories of The Climbery from last IU! She had a post for every clematis, some with wooden cutouts of hands and feet (she was working to get them all handed and footed, lol). I don't think your modes of vine travel need to be all the same :)

Everyone's pictures are putting me to shame....my garden needs attention, but I keep finding things on the house that need to be done so that I can move forward into gardening season. Today I am tackling the deck. I need to make more leaves this week, and the garage trim still needs to be painted.

I loved/stared at the dictamus, too. I was thinking bear's breeches (another one I want - acanthus, is it?) until I saw the foliage.

I'd better get moving. The computer guy is coming this morning and before I head out to the deck, I need to get the office in a shape that he can work in!

Have a great day, all!

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Air mattresses on top of the rolling tables is quite a funny vision, Deanne. A few open windows and gardeners sleeping in the garden might be a very different vacation. lol That was a good one. :-)

Just a thought, no one in our family has ever had to travel routinely, so I have no experience with that but I would guess that the person that is away often could easily feel a bit disconnected from time to time. Hard not to be involved in the day to day and not feel a little surprised when you get home. Hard on the person at home having to make decisions and solve problems alone and then have Monday morning quarter backing when the mate gets home, too. Humor and a few 'together days' hopefully will smooth out lots of wrinkles.

Very pretty Magnolia blossom and that's a lot of ferns there, Chelone! It's nice to see photos of the Compound.

I meant to report that I have had some improvement in my digestive problems finally and tried some solid food yesterday with success, so I'm encouraged. Just spent two enjoyable hours in the garden this morning. Beautiful weather! Pruned the lilac and azaleas, potted up four oclocks, Planted another trio of plants in the pot ghetto, fertilized the rose on the fence and cleaned up the sitting area, while watering a few large shrubs at the base. We've had rain but only in small amounts. I was going to head out to the nursery for a few things, but I think I will wait for the van tomorrow. Oh, and I saw two buds on the new Ville de Lyon Clematis that is not even in the ground yet.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

My contributions to the theme of this thread:

A native fern.

{{gwi:156726}}

Birdsfoot Violet leaves:

{{gwi:156727}}

Fennel:

{{gwi:156728}}

And tender Kiwi :

{{gwi:156729}}

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

The "hecticity" of the day prevents me from a long post -- so drive by it will be --

Wowser - love all these photos - Deanne, you are so the master of foliage and color - I love that spot and the foliage is fantastic. I loved the mention of the plantaholics gathering and enabling session - I hope it happens at IU, LOL.... I suspect I got the same patio peach last year for the same price at Lowes too, aint life wonderful w/ those shopping tips? I managed to have a few succulents hop in my cart at my local Lowes Sat nite... just needed those fillers.

Michelle - for all the wind, your gardens are looking wonderful - I really enjoy seeing them - and those iris are to die for! I had black scallop ajuga die on me in a couple spots (not to come back) but in others it did quite well -- I think it does not like a lot of wet in the winter is what Im guessing from the places I lost it in -- I really like it though and hope it will get healthy for me to place in some other areas as a border.

Geez, I know I've got a lot to comment for others on but gotta get back to work.

We actually had 2 primo gardening days this past weekend (altho more showers, squish squish -- and yep, the mushrooms are thriving and the clay is totally slippery as you recall, Chelone) - but I spent Sunday at the National Gallery w/ a friend for a spanish painting exhibit and yummy Spanish food that is being served for the summer in one of the restaurants in conjunction w/ the exhibit -- it was great fun -- havent done that in a while.

I immediately saw the bunk beds being used for IU in Chelone's fab work tables... I think you should home signage ready for those campers as to which rolling derby bed they get! Maybe Wendy will be available to do some bed rolling....

--cindy

• anitamo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A Sea of Foliage Girds Our Garden Round

A sea of foliage girds our garden round,
    But not a sea of dull unvaried green,
    Sharp contrasts of all colors here are seen;
    The light-green graceful tamarinds abound
    Amid the mango clumps of green profound,
    And palms arise, like pillars gray, between;
    And o'er the quiet pools the seemuls lean,
    Red-red, and startling like a trumpet's sound.
    But nothing can be lovelier than the ranges
    Of bamboos to the eastward, when the moon
    Looks through their gaps, and the white lotus changes
    Into a cup of silver. One might swoon
    Drunken with beauty then, or gaze and gaze
    On a primeval Eden, in amaze.

by...Toru Dutt (1856 1877)

The above poem was probably inspired by photos such as those on this thread. Excellent examples, all, of the necessity of foliage. Thanks so much for sharing them everyone, one is better than the next. Amazing artists here, that's for sure.

I thought deanne's heucherra was 'Green Spice', too. I only have one, but I think it's become my favorite. It always looks good and grows fast.

DD and I had a hair class today, and got my own hair cut,plus cut DD's, too. Feels so good when those dead ends come off. The sun was shining at 12:00 when class was over, but the second I got into my garden to finishing mulching, the rain came. I did have a carefree garden day yesterday, though, and got a lot of weeding done in the back area. I am finding lots of tent caterpillars everywhere. Crawling on the house (looking to pupate), eating my vernal witch hazel, and landing on my shoulders! ick. It must be a banner year for them, because I never noticed one until last fall. But now that I know what the egg cases look like, I will be on the hunt for them next spring.

chelone...I have to tell you the tables are amazing. The entire salon is so open, and the light colors you've chosen as the decor will make it a soothing place to work.

mary...celone's insight is true regarding when one's mood is sour, and is aimed at a loved one (or not), the problem really is within themselves. Not anything you may have done, just a way to vent our own frustrations or helplessness. So I hope DH is a poultry lover today. :)

PM...glad you're feeling better, and that DH is on the mend too. Love the grill story. Don't you love it when your kids spend time together? It always makes me smile inside.

Hope the Idyll babies are doing well, along with their parents.

(((Bug))) Tears actually have a pain relieving hormone in them, that's probably why we succomb to tears. They really do help.

Later,
    Anita

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

My contributions to Anita's foliage thread before it's too late....

{{gwi:156730}}

{{gwi:156732}}

{{gwi:156734}}

{{gwi:156736}}

{{gwi:156737}}

{{gwi:156738}}

{{gwi:156739}}

{{gwi:156740}}

{{gwi:156741}}

{{gwi:156742}}

{{gwi:156743}}

This last one is one of my favorite hostas. Hosta Tattoo, there's a tattoo of a maple leaf on each hosta leaf, very cool.

{{gwi:156744}}

Sorry for the mess of maple seedling sticking to everything in the photos but that's the reality in my garden right now :( I'm not going to leave these up long since there are quite a few. I just couldn't choose, foliage is my favorite thing in the garden!

Eden

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Oh my Eden!!!!!!!!! Fabulous, fantastic, brilliant and beautiful! Please don't take these down or put them on a separate thread if you would? I'd love to come and revisit often for inspiration.

Deanne

• deanneart
    14 years ago

So I got so excited about Edens pics I didnt scroll up and see all the other posts.

Marian, love that fern. I was wondering if that Birdsfoot Violet seeds around like the ones I have here? Ive not grown fennel in a couple years and your pic makes me want to plant some again.

Cindy, where did you plant your Patio Peach?

Anita, great poem.

Saucy, nice to have you back. Cant wait to see your new leaf creations!

Deanne

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Thanks Deanne. I tried to only post pics of the uncommon. I have many many more foliage plants....and took lots more pics of the less common. One was the purple fennel, but the bright sunlight was not good...No, I am afraid the birdsfoot violet does not reseed for me. :-( The common blue, and the white confederate spread vigorously.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

And the photos just keep coming ! This has been a very enjoyable thread hasnt it ? Kudos to Anita for starting it . It was fun to take photos of the leafy-action for a change- tweaked the perspective a bit. I think all of us here have a very healthy interest in and appreciation for foliage, but I think the exercise of going out to the garden with camera in hand specifically to capture the leaves really framed things for me in a new way, not to mention the cool ideas posted here. We ought to do another foliage thread in fall .

Marian, I didnt know you grew Kiwi I think they are beautiful plants and wish I had the room for a pair as I love the fruit too. How do you winter it over ? I have never seen Birdsfoot Violet and can see how it got its name quite clearly. Here is my Bronze Fennel. The photo reminds me of Bird of Paradise. {{gwi:156745}}From Garden 2009

Eden, wonderful shots ! What does that bamboo around your pond do in winter ? And all those Hostas ! Just to die for. My damnable snails would just swoon with excitement if they got a load of your garden, with or without Maple helicopters . What is that tie-die looking Huechera ? I dont think they will ever stop coming up with new varieties, I cant keep up with them all. Dont you dare take those photos down Im with Deanne..

((Mary)) I hope the road has been graded smooth at the Mary house. I had particular recognition in what PM had to say- I was the business traveler in my family, and would go several times a year from the time my children were very small through their teenage years , although usually for only 4 or 5 days at a time. I often was very irritated when I got home to a house that I felt had not been kept up to my standards while away. Im sure my DH often found me to be plainly b**chy in this regard, and I expect he was right. The fact that you do everything you do with your children and your active and creative life & still hold down a job amazes me. I would have been exhausted !

LOL hecticity Cindy.. Im going to steal that .

PM, so you are feeling better ? Thats good-fingers crossed that it keeps up. As Saxon Holt says , "The camera always lies" and I should treat you with some photos of my woebegone rose foliage. In spite of our dry spring I am having one of the worst blackspot years in recent history and I actually have mildew, which never appears here . Since I dont spray I am stripping folige off feverishly . I am taking very deceptive and selectively focused photos.

Denise, your pics are all sized pretty small when I look at themlove the Aeonium with the blue fence.! What can you tell me about that particular Phlomis ? I dont grow them becase they get so huge, but yours looks diminutive .

And Deanne-isnt Begonia grandis hardy in your zone ? I had one that I got at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Garden (I was looking for years to no avail ) and it was choked out by the (insert extremely impolite expletive beginning with F ) Sweet Woodruff.

I have yet to perform my evening WALAT so Id best get to it before the ballgame comes on

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

What gorgeous, gorgeous photos!! Thank you everyone.

GB - I had a chuckle at the words from the song. I have a friend who has plastic over her dining chairs. And when she came to visit our house instructed her daughter to only sit on the leather chair as the others had too much pet hair. They have allergies to pet dander but it didn't make me feel like the housekeeper of the year.

Humor has restored DH and I to good terms, and we are trying hard to support each other through current stresses rather than let them pull us apart. I think for the time being though we will save target practice till DH is otherwise occupied or out of town.

I put in another call to HR this morning and was told that the head was unavailable all day. When I asked when she would be able to return my calls the answer was she has so many meetings she does not have time to make calls inbetween. Using my back-up plan I said I would like to set up a face to face meeting and now have an appointment for 8 AM Wednesday. The office is 23 miles from the school I will be at that day and it seems ridiculously inefficient to have me drive all that way for questions that could be easily answered over the phone. Le Sigh.

I think I need a Bloody Mary.

Mary

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Kathy, I started the tender Kiwi seeds from store bought fruit at least 15 years ago. I planted out 3 and they have survived all of our winters without protection. They have occasionally been nipped back, even frozen quite badly after leafing out, but have always came back. I also bought and set out two hardy Kiwis. I have only one of them left. I have never seen blooms on the hardy, but the tender one on the wellhouse is blooming now. The blooms are rather attractive, but there has never been fruit.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I didn't know you had a kiwi vine either Marian. What an adventurous gardener you were to start one from seed. I love that native fern!

Kathy, I am feeling better. Not quite satisfied with the results of initial experiments with 'real' food, but I'm still better than I was and all in good time. Thanks for asking. :-) Please don't show me photos of any mildewed rose foliage or I will have to show you the aphids all over my lupine, just for solidarity sake. lol
    I'm sure there is a lot of selective photos posted all the time, except maybe at Deanne's house. I bet maple helicopters don't have a chance in her garden. [g]

I thought Begonia grandis was hardy too and a little on the aggressive side with reseeding?

Nice to see so many photos from your garden, Eden. You have such a nice selection of Hostas! I'm interested to know what the dark leaved tree is? Thought maybe a Redbud 'Pansy' but one leaf reminds me of a beech. Is that a clumping Bamboo and is it planted directly in the ground? Lovely! I bet it sounds wonderful in the wind.

I actually enjoy helicopters all over the lawn and the mulch, but hate it on my plants. I was spraying some off a couple of hostas today.

Wonder how your weekend went, Saucy.

Yes Anita, I really do love it when my kids spend time together. If our middle son would just move closer to home and we could see him more often, then I would be 'over the moon' as someone here is always saying. :-) ....no tent caterpillars here, just winter moth caterpillars and what a pain. You have my sympathies.

Well, I haven't taken any photos this week, but before this thread finishes, this is all I can post at the moment....

{{gwi:156746}}

{{gwi:156747}}

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

There's a maple seed on my floor and I'm blaming it on Eden!

V.

• chelone
    14 years ago

What a nice treat to see all the interesting foliage, you guys. I'm afraid the thread will hit its limit before I have the camera out to photograph some things that aren't at least 3 wks. behind the season. Eden, your garden must've inspired your screen name for it is, in fact, a backyard eden! I love the Astilboides, mine are not faring so well and will likely be relocated when time allows, but for now they're hanging in there. ;)

Marian, I love the native fern and the bird's foot violet. I have a special fondness for the stalwart natives that shrug off the vagaries of seasonal weather blips and contentedly keep working away at their "jobs". The ferns here are at waist height (3') and are still quite stiffy and tightly configured. It will take another few weeks before they begin to relax and fall "open" more. The last of the little ephemeral spring flowers that carpet the floor of the woods under them are beginning to finish up their assignments for this year. :)

I discovered 2 Liatris that were in Vegetable World and was told to plant them "somewhere". I've added them to the newly neatened area by the mouth of the driveway, along with 2 abused Perovskia that have lived in pots for pushing 3 yrs. now. It's the same area that now sports the serpentine display of the variEgated Miscanthus, "Strictus". It's the best sun I can offer anything on the Compound.

I diligently mended the deck canopy and the torn screen panel yesterday while listening to Frank Sinatra. Vera joined me through the window that's been designated their official entrance to the Salon:
    {{gwi:156749}}
    She promptly decided to curl up on the screen panel I needed to mend. Here she is in "hunting mode":
    {{gwi:156750}}
    I have high hopes to get the canopy water-proofed this afternoon, possibly for installion on Thursday or Friday. Not sure about that. It will really start to feel as though summer will be here then. And then it will be time to finally replace the 4 awnings that shield the windows on the south side of the house. I miss their cheery presence and will really miss their contribution to interior comfort in the coming months.

The helpmeet worked in Vegetable World yesterday. It all looks very organized and clean right now (except the fence and the beds he's going to re-side this year). I have been told that there will be lettuce and radishes aplenty for Camp, Early Girl tomatoes and fresh basil. That should help with provisioning. I will try to get some shots of his hard work this afternoon. In all, it was a very pleasant day for all on the Compound.

"C'mon in, the water's great!":
    {{gwi:156751}}

Time to go fix things, you guys. Have a fun day.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

{{gwi:156752}}

{{gwi:156753}} {{gwi:156754}}

{{gwi:156755}}

{{gwi:156756}}

Drive by post this morning. Unfortunately, this will be the last photos from me for awhile. I wanted to post some foliage photos for the thread before it rains here later and just as the sun was coming out, I dropped my camera on the driveway. It has stopped working and the lens is stuck in the outward position. I'm trying not to let it ruin my day but it sure took the wind out of my sails this morning. I'm on my way out and will try to stop in later...

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Got time to say WOW WOW WOW !!!!

I dont think I've contributed to the foliage thread but I seem to be getting horrible photos lately and havent the time to pull out hte manual and figure it out - Im so much a point and shoot camera gal... for some reason learning photography falls into the "dont care to learn" categories (where mowing grass, learning wines, and creative talents of sculpting and painting also fall).... just give me a great point/shoot camera and Im happy...

Eden -- yep, it would be very cool to get an i.d. of everything in all your photos, LOL -- I think my fav is the last one and Im particularly enamoured of the variegated (of course) shrub to the right... That's definitely a fagus (beech) she's got, PM, but it doesnt look like my Black Swan so I sure hope it's another cultivar or Im terribly jealous, LOL....

Chelone - you are to be commended and awarded for dragging the camera out, taking and uploading pics -- I thought you said you didnt have spring bulbs? I saw quite a lot in those photos! Rex looks like he would get along well w/ 'bug's Phoebe - they share the aquatic dip love obviously.

Deanne -- the prunus persica Bonfire I got last summer I had in a container on the patio -- I just loved it and it got redder and redder -- here it is from last summer:

{{gwi:156757}}

But I was afraid it would not overwinter in the flimsy pot and couldnt find a good fiberglass one for it, so I ended up planting it in the front in the fall -- it had a bit of ice damage and lost one branch; not sure if this will be its permanent home or not - I'd love love love to have another one to remain on the patio....but havent looked this year. Know I have a photo of it planted in the front but it's not on photobucket.... I know Sue bought one a couple years ago I admired -- and of course the incredible similar type that Inta had was to die for... (dont think that was Bonfire though - it's another kind).

Love love all these photos -- back later...

Cindy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

OK, this is the last post for this thread, but you've got to check it out!!!

Click the link to watch something cool, and by people with way toooooo much time on their hands!

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

This has been such a great thread. I just went through all of the photos again and must say the Idylls have really come through on the subject of foliage.

PM, so sorry to hear you're camera is broken. Hope it's repairable? Your family sounds very close, it's always nice when the kids still like to spend time together even when they're grown and don't have to anymore. My kids are like that too!

Chelone, loved seeing the critters. Love kitty stalking the butterfly and that Rex is really something.

Cindy, I love that little peach tree. So cool!

Mary, here's hoping your visit with the PR person is more productive than your phone calls have been. Your description of dh's reentry made me smile. I liked your way with words on that one!

Kathy, I was at a nursery this morning and guess what I ran across. A Heuchera 'Green Spice'. Oh course I had to get it since you gave it such a good review. Seems like one or another of you Idyllers is always with me when I'm plant shopping :)

Just for the record, the maple seeds are driving me crazy this year. But I know it'll only be worse when they all germinate into little maple trees that I will have to painstakingly weed out of my gardens and containers.

Kathy, My bamboo turns brown in the winter but then greens right up again in spring. I've had it in that spot for 6 or 7 years. PM, yes it is a clumper and is planting in the ground.

Kathy, the heuchera is Mardi Gras. It's been a good one for me. I've bought so many heucheras that are weak growers that I'm more cautious these days about which ones I choose.

PM, the red leafed tree is my Corylus avellana Contorta 'Red Majestic'.

Cindy, I do have a Fagus 'Black Swan' but it's only about a foot tall and I've had it 2 years now. It is growing, but slowly. The variegated plant I think you're asking about is Leucosceptrum japonicum 'Variegatum'. Sue talked me into getting it at Variegated Foliage Nursery during IU2. It is a very cool plant!

I thought I was done planting containers but mysteriously 8 coleus, an Amaranthus 'Party Time' and half a dozen other assorted annual things followed me all the way home this morning. So I had to stop and pick up one more bag of potting soil :)

Time to get ready for Miss Bella's arrival. Later,

Eden

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

PM, I just love your Ghost fern! They are my favorites I think.

Yes, Phoebe would follow Rex right into the water, but not above her armpits. Then she would shake herself dry right in front of all the nearby people, then lie down to dry. She'd be pretty smelly to.

DH helped saw off some dead branches for me today. I am working on edging around the veg garden and after 2 hours, seem to have cleaned up 1/3 of one side. Slow going! But the clematis will be happy when I finish. I see some clematis seedlings too. As if I needed more...

Anyone enjoy puppies? Here's another URL to look at if you do.