Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Idyll # 441 The Unfurling Poppy

saucydog
14 years ago

All I can say is that V.'s poppy made quite an impression!

Carry on friends....

Comments (101)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good morning....

It's raining gently here this morning with a little quiet thunder in the distance. Not bad to wake up to. But I was planning on digging and planting a little today, so I hope it stops soon and dries up. We did not start our holiday weekend the way we planned. DH threw his back out Friday morning tying his shoe. Not as bad as the last time, but enough to sideline him from anything work or fun related all weekend. Sitting is uncomfortable but he is walking and able to lie down without much discomfort. He already made a trip to PT and has started following their recommendations, with more visits to follow. Add that to the fact digestive problems are not clearing up very quickly for me and regular meals have been absent for almost a month and it's pretty much taken the holiday out of the weekend. At least I am losing weight again, which was needed. I spent a lot of time researching this week to try to find some new strategy to try and came up with a few new ideas, which seem to be having a positive effect, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. We are doing okay though. We are quite the pair. [g] After initial frustration, the day improved yesterday. Thankfully DH and I enjoy each other's company. We just finished reading a book together and started a new one yesterday. A John Grisham novel. We started to watch the Red Sox last night, but just couldn't get into it and switched to a Nature program on Victoria Falls. It was fascinating and beautiful.

We will have to put on hold our efforts to get the weeding and mulching under control. Darn. It was perfect working weather yesterday. I managed to get a few plants in the ground in the morning and planted a tiny little Black Magic Colocasia in my new large blue ceramic pot DS gave me for Mother's Day and added Basil to the Tomato Beds. By late morning, DS was available to try to help me finish the rock edge on the Long Border. There was only about 4 feet left and yay and yay again, we worked it out. Not perfect, but finished. We are still working on backfilling. We started with 27 5 gallon buckets of that organic soil that we were given and have had to sift it all to remove any perennial weed roots and Japanese Beetles that he warned us about. We have found a significant amount of the Beetles so I am very glad that we went to the trouble to sift it, but what a pain. We have 10 buckets left that will wait for Monday or Tuesday when DS has time off. I can't believe how much compost we had this year. We've already been able to add 5 wheelbarrels of it to backfill the border, after already using quite a bit around some of the shrubs and roses. And that's all the news that's fit to print at our house. :-)

I see Julie's DH is finally making progress. Yay Julie!

Woody you finshed your new bed! It's very well done and I think when it fills in, it will create a very pretty frame for your front garden. Blanc Double de Coubert is a great rose. I had that rose and it failed to come back one winter for some odd reason. I love the fragrance. So you didn't say what you planted in the bed. Is that another Wisteria at the end? Congratulations to you and Randy on his retirement. Hope you have big plans to put into action very soon! :-)

Just love that Camassia and Tulip combo, Gardenbug. They are both gorgeous and together they are a knock out. Happy to see a new photo of Phoebe, she looks like her coat is growing back in nicely.

Marian, your garden is shaping up and amazed at the huge woodpiles in your photo! You and Nolan are quite the team.

That Cordyline is gorgeous, Deanne...and Kathy, I'm jealous of your Delphiniums and snaps. You both seem to be having a ball this year in the garden. :-)

I hope I haven't missed something important, I'm just scanning photos today.

Cute little Dragonfly Aquilegia are just opening. Aquilegia were new to me just a couple of years ago and I love them. They seem to be working out fine.

{{gwi:156992}}

• chelone
    14 years ago

So far Bruce and I only get together to cook up something sweet, Anita. You know, we were talking about eating squirrel the other day at work! I certainly wouldn't be averse to trying it since I rather like rabbit and I'll bet they're similar. That has me thinking about asking the guys at the nice butcher shop about buying some rabbit. They usually have recipes on hand for more unusual sorts and cuts of meat.

I offer the following tunes for consideration for V.'s dance with her son:
    1.) "Your Mother Should Know" (The Beatles, on "Magical Mystery Tour")
    2.) "White Wedding" (Billy Idol) but be sure to have some pyrotechnics ready to go along with it, huh?

You didn't expect me to be fully serious first thing in the morning, did you? On a more serious note, what is DS's preference for music, V.? that might give a better indication for the "feel" the tune ought to have. Bummer about the ditsy chorus teacher wrecking "WAWW" for you; I take it she must've seen "Good Morning Viet Nam". It would take a good deal more than that to turn me off to that tune, I love Louis Armstrong's unique vocal style. The preparations are really ramping up now, aren't they? I did get a good chuckle out the DH catching the fever and belaboring the too many guests point. Keep some MREs on hand and you'll be good to go. ;) And that's excellent news on your fitting, too. I have been hoping you'd share some that adventure. One of the nicest aspects about doing alterations is seeing a happy customer face when the newly "contoured to your contours" garment is tried on and fits nicely. It's so important to feel good and comfortable in your "Sunday best"!

I was awakened by a nervous cat and a nervous dog at about 3AM when the thunder rumbled through. I mentally kicked myself for failing to bring in the load of sheets and towels artfully draped over the deck's railing. Looks like they'll remain where they are until dry today! I hope the rain has passed Saucy's abode by so the painting and staining isn't postponed. I don't mind painting but all the prep. work can be tedious and it's important to have a nice dry surface for starters.

I was wondering if there are inspections required of beekeepers, too, Saucy. A guy down the road lost his hive last winter and is going to try again. So is leaving an adequate supply of honey in the hive the best way to guarantee a successful overwintering?

Last night I sized up the grass I need to lift and divide today. It's about 24"d and I have no idea how long it's going to take or how deep the root system will go. But it has all the hallmarks of a chore that will involve the best part of the day. And I still have tons of daylilies left to remove from their shadey location, but to where? I'll have to sneak them onto the back side of the 30 yr. pile and bury them if I deign to ask the helpmeet for his thoughts on the subject. ;)

I see Kathy is checking off the garden JulieJobs with spectacular efficiency and is feeding her addiction nicely too, all under the guise of stimulating the local green economy. I could used a girl like you to toil along side me. ;) I admired Marians's stacked firewood, too. A prim reminder that I have two to move under cover for the coming season myself...

Yesterday was a very big deal for the pride and His Hugeness. They just love it when there is a lot of outdoor activity involving their humans. Wrecks guarded me all day long and was very cooperative about "staying". He didn't bolt toward the road once to "greet" any of the walkers and even remained at his post while I gave directions to someone and chatted with another. The cats spent a great deal of time prowling the remains of the roadside stone wall in search of rodents and did a lot of "ambushing" Mummy when she'd pass some tall grass. Rolling featured prominently in the day's activities, too. Makes me smile every time I catch sight of them. :)

Time to contemplate some grub and then fold the laundry that's inside the house. And then it'll be time to tackle the grass. I suspect the bugs are going to be just brutal this morning.

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marcy napped in the shade of the grasses and rolled in the catmint (she is making it impossible for me to grow it in it's present location!) as well as taking a few dirt baths. She does leave a dirty spot on the window sill after all....

I gardened yesterday away....but everything is still undone. I was happy for this morning's early rain and the garage will dry nicely before I begin to paint. I nix'd the deck cleaning project as it was too much to try to fit into the weekend (the garden was more fun!).

V., I went to a wedding where the father/daughter dance was The Hustle, and you know, they did the hustle. It was odd and funny all rolled up in one! Sounds like you're moving right along down the check list. I too got a chuckle out of your husband's worries.

Kathy, I planted snap dragons yesterday because I was channeling you! I always like a few annuals thrown in for all summer color. I usually use cosmos but they can grow to 5' tall sometimes!

It's another gorgeous day out there. I slept in this morning, so I'd better get moving if I hope to squeeze all the fun that I can out of this weekend! Have a great day, all!

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Coffee with the Idylls this morning, I daresay my cats are two of the laziest one the planet-as I took note of the Prides antics on the compound I couldnt help but reflect on Ted and Doobie. They follow me to the front yard , find a nap spot and doze off, and repeat the routine when I move to the back. The customers at the bird feeder are of little or no interest to them. Making granola this morning , and then its back out to plant all the Angelonias while the overcast is still here. A visit to the grocers is on the agenda too.
    As I begin the task of digging up the Abelia (which has been there at least 20 years that I know of) Ill be thinking of Chelone and the Miscanthus. May they both be successfully vanquished !

I love Aquilegia too PM. And I really should introduce some new blood this year as I dont have near the variety I used too. Sorry to hear that your free labor is on the DL . Hope he doesnt try to get back up to speed too soon .

Saucy, I had cosmos re-seed but they appear to by the dwarf variety- they are in my annual bed with the zinnias and nasturtiums things should be pretty colorful in their shortly.

Ok, waves to all, I need to get the show on the road

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I did it! The Miscanthus is dug/divided into 5 large divisions and has been replanted and watered into its new site. I have some fussing with the gravel rake to smooth it out, but I'm all done! It took me about 3 hrs. from start to finish. I even have pictures of the adventure! (still locked in my camera along with over 200 others).

GO KATHY!

Deanne's containers are lovely as ususal. I see you're in a pinky-red and yellow foliage phase. :) And I suffer on with my terminal case of urn yearn.

I'd have ditched the deck project, too Saucy! good move! I hate it when I work like hell and it doesn't look like very much or remains unfinished. But sometimes that's how big projects are. Can't wait to see the garage. There are lots of "dirty sleeping spots" around here, too.

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Marty's world-renowned choc chip cookies are cooling, Dune's burning a CD of his favorite tune's for his cousin's 13th birthday, my mom and dad are standing by to be picked up, portable oxygen in tow, for the afternoon festivities at my BIL's, Mitch and a friend are photographing and interviewing a local legend who is closing down his maritime junkyard and retiring, selling off a treasure trove of cool sh*t, which he parlayed into many interesting work assignments, including outfitting the pirate ships in the recent Pirates of Caribbean movies, outfitting EuroDisney -- in other words, life continues on, spreading out into its odd little tributaries much to our fascination. The grey cat with the jackalope gait is healing from tooth extraction, suffering from an autoimmune disease gingival stomatitis, back to her silly antics for the time being, but I doubt this is a cure. It's one of those chronic issues that revolves around how much $ one is willing to throw at the problem. Marty is disinclined but sweetly cooperative, knowing my soft spot. The rest of the menagerie is healthy and enjoying spring.

The gardens are blooming and buzzing, a huge distraction from gainful employment. How can we possibly absorb so much beauty, I wonder every year. Five senses are completely inadequate to the task. The screened-in porch/bathhouse off our bedroom is excitingly near completion, fingers crossed. Worked all day yesterday on transcripts and will face more Monday but today is officially BBQ day.

V, I'll be thinking about the wedding song selection all day and taking informal polls. Waving to all.

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Happy Memorial Day to the Idylls! Yesterday Brad and I had a leisurely day, did some planting, made BAT sandwiches (avacado instead of lettuce), I planted flowers at the cemetery for my grandparents with my dad, my sister, Jenni, Bella and Kate and then drank some wine while gazing upon the garden until well after dusk. Brad's still mostly working on the conservatory, scrapping and priming. Almost time to paint it and I still haven't decided on a for sure color. Good thing I don't have to name it :)

Today, I've made a chocolate cake and my baked beans are in the oven. We're going to my sister's for a family cookout later. Oh and I also made a quick trip to the nursery for potting mix and two big red geraniums for a couple of containers I'm planning.

Tomorrow will be another day spent mostly in the garden and cooking dinner on the grill. Can't beat the beautiful weather we're having this weekend. What a great kickoff to summer. I'm going back now to read a bit of what you're all up to this weekend. Hope you're all having a good one!

Eden

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

I'll offer up a suggestion V for your mother-son dance. I've always thought Elton John's "Blessed" would be a good one for that purpose.

Just a quick skim, but sounds like the Idylls are pretty much all having a great weekend. That makes me smile :)

Eden

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Jen just sent me a couple of pictures of Kate she took this morning so I thought I'd share those. Now that I'm here, seems you can't get rid of me!

{{gwi:156993}}

{{gwi:156994}}

Eden

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

These can't really 'compete' with sweet Kate but are quite eye-catching I think..... :- )

Laurie (Barb's daughter who has been helping me the last few weeks) dropped by this afternoon. She was perfectly coodinated with the wisteria!
    {{gwi:11742}}
    And some closer views of the wisteria (Randy is obviously fascinated with it this year :- )
    {{gwi:156995}}
    {{gwi:156996}}
    It has a heavenly scent too - Randy cut a few blooms for the breakfast table this morning - wonderful stuff.....

Cooking tip - don't use Green and Black 70% cocoa organic chocolate bars to make chocolate truffle cake! We haven't tasted the result yet but during cooking the cocoa butter separated out and dripped out of the bottom of the springform pan! It'll be interesting to see what the cake actually tastes like as it is obviously going to be lower fat than expected!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Laurie looks fantastic with your beautuful wisteria Woody! Randy certainly began his retirement in style, picking flowers for the breakfast table! I don't think DH has EVER done that.

Ms Kate is perfection itself. I guess a sleeping baby is the best kind. ;) But that wonderful baby complexion! Eden, your URL on Elton John got me sidetracked and I had to listen to several of his oldies.

Here is DH's contribution to Miss Ivy's first name. (I hope it sticks and isn't changed!)

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
    A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
    Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
    A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?

If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey, sing "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. A kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?" (from 1943)

This morning was slow going because last night I felt sick and got up every 2 hours. Eventually I felt better and began new knitting (dark green, not pink). Then we ran errands and I ended up with RED shoes. I feel like Dorothy in them. They're fun. DH got new shoes as well. We managed to grab some lunch out around 2pm. Our neighbor was giving away stuff as they are hoping to move and build a new house in a nearby town. So we tried to retrieve their ping-pong table, but eventually decided it was no better than our old one. I did collect a small trolley on wheels on which I intend to have a "ghetto" on wheels to move plants from sun to shade more easily.

Then I began spreading mulch. I emptied 3 bags before needing a rest. DH is off now putting 3-4 more bags into the wheel barrow for me. He also dug out 2 dead caryopteris. My friends Ann and John laugh at me because I look on dead plants as opportunities. Might as well, no?

Later friends,
    'bug

14 years ago

gb - I like the name Ivy and hope it sticks! The Mairzy doats rhyme came to mind for me too - and that also brought to mind another little rhyme I liked as a kid:

One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    drew their swords and shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise
    and ran to save the two dead boys.
    And if you don't believe it's true,
    go ask the blind man, he saw it too.

There was another nonsense rhyme I liked too but can't think of at the moment....

Green and Black 70% cocoa definitely didn't make good cooking chocolate! The cake was OK but dry. We certainly wouldn't use it in that recipe again! It's very good eating chocolate as a bar though.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

V...Eden got me thinking of you tube with the song suggestion, and I found this. Link below. I dare you not to cry. LOL.

Eden...precious adorable photos of Kate.

chelone...congrats on tackling that grass. You got it done fast. Bet you're glad it's done.

woody...Your wisteria looks fabulous, and how nice that DH thought of bringing a bouquet of them indoors. Your friend looks great in that picture. Very color coordinated.

I attended a birthday party for my niece's little girl. They had a BBQ spit set up and roasted a whole lamb with some pork and chicken breasts. Very tasty and tender meat when it's cooked that way. I got home after six, so only had a little time to do some more edging of the beds. This time around the 'Louisa' crabapple. Temps were in the 70's
    and will continue throughout the week. Rain is coming Monday evening, but I welcome it.

Hope all is well in Idyll land.

Anita

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

In the arena of plant demolition , the Compound has bested the Mythical Land 1 to nothing.
    My plan was to take to Abelia down to about 1ft and then dig it out as the taking down progressed I discovered I was dealing with 2 plants . Fine, no problem, took plant #1 down to 12 inches as planed , retrieved the trusty shovel and discovered that the roots were very likely to have come up somewhere in Chairman Maos dining room. That puppy was going nowhere . Plan B was put into effect; got the pruning saw and cut it back to the ground and will plant the guava next to it, continue to cut off any sprouts and hope that I will eventually prevail. Plant #2 will get the same treatment. I can dig a hole right next to the thing, so clearly the roots go straight down.

Woody, your Wisteria shots are way-fabuWisteria is but a memory here;I have to enjoy them vicariously as I have none of my own.

Eden, I wish I could sleep like that ! No Cares.

Feeling better today bug? I have pair of red topsiders from LL Bean that I wear for Tropical Friday at the awfice. ..red shoes do perk up the attitude !

All for me tonight, Im bushed

Wave, and hello to all.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

Happy Memorial Day! It will be the 3rd. day off for me and it's been a lonely weekend with the helpmeet toiling away in the retail trenches. But it's been a productive one and actually quite pleasant in spite of the newly broken off finger nails.

I don't feel my turn with the Miscanthus is quite in the same league with the Abelia, Kathy. Shrubs are a different animal when it comes to removal. I cracked up at the Chairman Mao comment, that's a pretty good one. :)

Mulching looms prominently in my future gardening plans, too. But it has to be delivered first and I have NO plans to ask the helpmeet to do it until later in the week when he's had his single day off and is feeling less harried. I have several areas that are going to look more like mulch with an occasional plant planted in the midst of it, but that's how it goes when things are young and I'm OK with it.

Kate does look very peaceful, Eden. It reminded me of the alarming increase in shaken babies in my state (grimly connected to youthful "parents" and limited economic means). And I thought of how fortunate both Kate and Ivy are to be so eagerly anticipated and cherished. Don't think I'll ever understand why anyone in this day and age would have a child and then harm it, as it's too easy to NOT make them in the first place. The fantasy of parenthood is clearly leagues apart from the daily practical reality, I suppose. I'm a fan of chocolate cake but you can keep the baked beans, thank you (too sweet). I've gone with the "classic" red geranium palette, too. I don't think you can beat "Redcoat" from Bartlett in Sudbury, MA., they supply plugs to greenhouses and the stock is always terrific. I chose red in hopes that they'll produce a few flowers at Christmas... remind to bring them in come fall, OK?

Congrats to PM and her family for wrapping up the rock edgeing caper. Feels great, huh? and you probably smile whenever you pass an eye over it. It will be fun to see the Calocasia come into its own over the course of the season. I always admire those beautiful ceramic pots (urn yearn again) but the practical reality of containers keeps me distant from their delightful possibilites. I hope DH's back is feeling better, no one should be uncomfortable when the weather is so nice. Love the Aquilegia, too. Interestingly, they never seem to really prosper for me and I'm not really sure why they don't. One of life's mysteries, I guess.

Speaking of containers... Deanne, do you use those water storing crystals in your plantings? and how often must you water your containers in a run of dry, sunny weather? I average every 4-5 days for the windowboxes (eastly and northern exposure with no crystals), sometimes longer if the weather is particularly humid.

Woody, the shots of the Wisteria are terrific! I love Laurie displaying it (a la Vanna White). What handsome flowers to grace the breakfast table and kick off Randy's retirement. Is Misty thinkin' it's very fine indeed to have the whole pack at home all the time? I chuckled at the oil leaking out of the spring form pan, but hope it wasn't too messy.

Red shoes are good unless of course, you are little Karen from Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale, "The Red Shoes". ;) I've always wanted a pair of red and white spectators. My Caryopteris are not looking so good, though there are some signs of life and I'll allow them to continue on in their places for some time yet. I'm a little surprised actually as we had good snow cover and that usually insulates them pretty well against sudden bitter snaps. They're favorites of mine. 'bug, I know you're way more organized than I am about ordering bulbs for fall planting... so would you please try to remind me to put together an order so I'm not at the mercy of what's available at Orange or nurseries? I always forget to do it and am disappointed at my sloth come springtime.

I saw morning reports of rough weather in CT yesterday and do hope the Park, Sue, Les&Monique have emerged unscathed. OK, time to put together the day's plan!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Ah, a good sleep at last! So I popped out of bed, watered some pots and planted the zucchini. Back indoors, DH is still in bed. I have a hard time getting the day rolling when he drags about. Wish he'd get a move on and march off to his office as I have a ton of things to accomplish before a go out to lunch with a friend. I need to pick up more mulch and soil as well to complete my projects and move on to the next. Like Anita, I need to do some edging and look forward to some rain later this week.

Ms Phoebe is calling...
    'bug

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Morning all,

What a busy day yesterday. Doug and I finally got the swamp/pond cleaned out and much to my surprise there were four fish in it that wintered over under the ice. Amazing creatures Goldfish. Anyway, that onerous chore is done and once I get some water hyacinth in there to provide the scaly ones some cover I can put the indoor fish outside for the summer. Id rather not have the heron find his lunch here again. We also cleaned the fountain and the bird baths so all the water features are in good shape at the moment.

The gardens are in their May cloak of flowers now and so so pretty. I think I love this time of the year better than the gaudy summer display. Right now its all purples, blues and greens with lots of textures showing in the new foliage. The Baptisia Purple Smoke has really come into its own this year and it putting on a beautiful display. So glad the Idylls made me buy that plant.

Wonderful photos here this weekend. Sweet Kate is looking very pretty and Woody, your Wisteria is fabulous! And perfect that Randy brought in blooms for the table. They are so incredibly fragrant.

Bug, Ivy is perfect!

Chelone, good job with that miscanthus. Sounds like quite the wrestling match. Glad you won.

Kathy, Im sorry but I lol over your solution to removing the Abelia because I did the exact same thing with a Rose of Sharon. I couldnt get the darned thing out of the garden without ruining all the plants around it so I chopped it off to the ground and planted Verbena bonariensis around the stump.

Anita, that BBQ sounds yummy.

I think I need to go out and find myself a pair of red shoes. LOL
    Waving hello to one and all,

OK must run for now, have a great day.
    Deanne

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Chelone, sorry I forgot to answer your question. When the pots get root bound the end of summer and we get 90 degree temps several of the biggy big pots need to be watered twice a day. Egad!!! Most of them do fine with their moring watering though but the brugs are thirsty creatures.

Right now most only need to be watered every other or third day.

Deanne

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

I bought my new shoes last week. At the wedding a couple of weeks ago, I noticed at the reception that several of the bridesmaids had shed their heels in favor of black flip flops. Since I am a klutz in heels I was thinking of doing the same, but then spotted an article about the new Birko-Flor sandals from Birkenstock. So my dancing shoes will be black patent Birkies!

Yesterday's task was to paint the ceiling, but I ran out of paint! I was sure that I had plenty, but I keep underestimating that ceiling's ability to suck up paint. Plan B was to paint all of the edges so that I can do the walls today. I know the local paint store is closed today; one of the hardware stores in the next town that carries Benji Moore may be open, but I'm not sure I want to spend the hour round trip just to get the paint. We'll see how far I am by lunch time.

I also planted up a couple of herb containers and washed a collection of oil lamps and candlelamps that had been on the mantle downstairs. Got them all done and everything cleaned up from that task and realized I missed one. DOH! Add to today's list, I guess.

We took SIL and her husband out to dinner last night. Carpet guy and his wife came in and sat behind us, but I resisted the urge to ask him when he could install the carpet this week!

I'm feeling the itch to paint, so I think I shall don my paint-spattered garb and commence the day's festivities!

V.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

OK...DH is STILL in bed! I planted three Lisymachia Beaujolais in the meantime and then watched Phoebe chase a red squirrel. I have more planting to do but need to zero in on some breakfast first.

Chelone, I just saw your post about bulbs. I get mine on September first, unless a catalog arrives first.

These are my favorites:(read up on them first to see if they suit you and your conditions)

snowdrops by the hundreds...
    Spring Green tulips
    Camassia (I like leichtlinii Blue Danube)
    Crocus vernus Joan of Arc
    Anemone blanda in shades of blue
    Erythronium Pagoda (yellow) or White Beauty (more expensive)
    Bulbous Iris: Iris x Dardanus (May blooming lilac/brown with heavy veining)
    Iris reticulata Cantab (blue)
    Martagon Lilies (I like white best but have a few pink as well)
    Narcissus Thalia (always want more!)
    If you find bloodroot at a plant sale, buy it!
    Fritillaria Meleagris are lots of fun too.
    Winter aconite are low, yellow wonders that are the first thing to bloom.

I suggest you by LOTS of a few things if money is an issue. (rather than a few of many) Then plant them by mid November...because I have known people to forget all about them and later find the task more time consuming than they can deal with. :(

Deanne, I too like Ivy, but they keep wavering. I wonder how long they can keep waffling. Le Grand Sigh!

YES! DH is up and practicing scales in the shower! He'll no doubt be ready for a nap soon. ;)
    'bug, clicking the heels of her red shoes

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

OK...DH is STILL in bed! I planted three Lisymachia Beaujolais in the meantime and then watched Phoebe chase a red squirrel. I have more planting to do but need to zero in on some breakfast first.

Chelone, I just saw your post about bulbs. I get mine on September first, unless a catalog arrives first.

These are my favorites:(read up on them first to see if they suit you and your conditions)

snowdrops by the hundreds...
    Spring Green tulips
    Camassia (I like leichtlinii Blue Danube)
    Crocus vernus Joan of Arc
    Anemone blanda in shades of blue
    Erythronium Pagoda (yellow) or White Beauty (more expensive)
    Bulbous Iris: Iris x Dardanus (May blooming lilac/brown with heavy veining)
    Iris reticulata Cantab (blue)
    Martagon Lilies (I like white best but have a few pink as well)
    Narcissus Thalia (always want more!)
    If you find bloodroot at a plant sale, buy it!
    Fritillaria Meleagris are lots of fun too.
    Winter aconite are low, yellow wonders that are the first thing to bloom.

I suggest you by LOTS of a few things if money is an issue. (rather than a few of many) Then plant them by mid November...because I have known people to forget all about them and later find the task more time consuming than they can deal with. :(

Deanne, I too like Ivy, but they keep wavering. I wonder how long they can keep waffling. Le Grand Sigh!

YES! DH is up and practicing scales in the shower! He'll no doubt be ready for a nap soon. ;)
    'bug, clicking the heels of her red shoes

• chelone
    14 years ago

Do your order them around September first or is that when you receive them, 'bug?

The ceiling isn't going anywhere, V., and I like your practical approach to crossing that JulieJob off the list. I vote you call it quits after the perimeter coat and move on to something "fun". The Salon ceiling sucked the old paint up, too. I was tired after painting that one 3 times. I'm all for comfortable footwear (and proper foundations), as you know. :)

I have to get back outdoors and back to work. Hope all of you are doing the same thing in your territories.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I buy bulbs around Sept first but that's because it is the local official first day to purchase bulbs. Some you just need to order around here because the choice is limited. I forgot to add White Purissima tulips to the list as well as Purple Sensation Allium. I usually need a few pink tulips and like Salmon Impression, Menton or Baronesse.

Planted a sun loving hellebore, watered some more, now back to work and a shower....

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I got almost everything planted yesterday, but Im short one Lantana and one purple Calibrachoa, which will drive me nuts so I will take action and run down to Target and see if I can pick up one of each. I also cant decide where to put my cute "Blue Hobbit" Eryngium , so they remain unplanted while I ponder the possibilities.

Very good call there V with the black Birkenstocks. I cant even remember when the last time was that I wore heels.

Deanne, your garden looks splendid, and Im going to re-view your gallery this morning over my granola and French roast. speaking of which , off I go ..

Mulching and laundry today !

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Still rainy and VERY wet out. No outside jobs can be done today.
    So...it is laundry day. The second load is in the washer, and at least 2 more to go.

The bigger pieces from the tree jobs are awaiting cutting and removal. And there are still more to be taken down. Oh well. it WILL dry up again one of these days...

Pm2, sorry to hear of you and your DH having physical problems. A bad back, and disgestive problems are both hard to cope with. The losing weight is good, since that is something you want. I need to lose some around my midsection, but the rest of me is thin enough... in fact some of me is too thin! :-(
    It is nice you 2 can read a book together. We have a hard time even having a conversation. Nolon's hearing is getting so bad. :-(
    I love columbines, but the only ones I have much success with are the native ones. I keep buying others but they do not return. :-(
    ( Sorry about all the frowns...) :-)

Chelone, squirrel is good, both fried, and stewed with dumplings. I sort of wish we were in to thinning out our population, and putting them to good use. I have eaten more of them than I have rabbits. If I recall correctly, rabbits are much more meatier.
    I certainly do not envy you the job you had with the ornamental grass job. I dug one hole the other day, (after dragging downed limbs and throwing them on brush piles), and planted the other mislabled shrub, then started to dig another for the blue spruce. I discovered that I had pooped out for the day, and quit! The blue spruce is still sitting in it's pot out by the shovel. Both are awaiting my return.
    Our 2 cats are like Wrecks when it comes to our outside work. They love to be out there with us, monitoring our activities. Thet are not prone to 'ambushing' us, but love to get under any brush we pile up. When I removed the bird fencing from the from flowerbed, Tommy was under it..:-)

V, I cannot give you any tips on music for an 'after the wedding' dance. I do not recall going to a wedding with a dance following.

Saucy, occasionally Tommy discovers a patch of catnip around our place. I planted some years ago. and there are volunteers coming up in unexpected spots. Trubby does not seem as interested in it. Tommy both eats and rolls in it.

Speaking of cosmos...the ones I sowed 4 days ago are already up! So are the morningglories.:-)

Denise, when I read your chocolate chip report, I jumped right up and went to bake a roll of cinnamon rolls that I had in the frig. Chocolate chip cookies would have been much better, but I did not have time to do that. Maybe later today, if I do not wear myself out with the laundry.
    LOL on the 'jackalope' gait. I wonder how many know what that word is referring to.

Hmmm, BAT sandwiches. Maybe I will try that. I alway just have an A sandwich with nothing else added. :-)
    Precious pics of precious Kate.

Wow, Woody, those close-ups of the wisteria are gorgeous. Nice to have your helper friend in the pic too.
    Ooops about the leaking pan!
    Oooo, that poem is gross! I used to know one similar. :-)

Marie, Mairzy Doats was one of my favorite childhood songs. Sorry about your sick spell...probably something you ate?

Oh, yes...red shoes. My pair I used to wear are getting too scruffy looking, and my new pair that I sent for do not fit right! They bag out at the sides! I guess I could do like my little mother did and put rubber bands around them...lol. Of course she did not wear them to town that way.

Anita that barbecue feast sounds so yummy! My type of food. I love meats...

Kathy, I literally LOLed at your Chairman Mao comment. Then I read it to Nolon, and he did too, and I did again. Saying that something went all the way to China was a long time expression with us. I once thought the humming of the power poles was the chinamen talking....LOLOL

Okay...I have ran out of time to finish ...so will catch the others later.
    I will not proofread either, so excuse all the mistakes!

Marian

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Heels? Holy Cow! I haven't worn heels in decades. I have some in boxes in a closet that I've never even worn and that should go to a Goodwill. Can't imagine anyone wanting or needing them though!

Had a lovely lunch out with a friend. Even bought a giant chocolate chip cookie to munch after I got home. It is a perfect day out too. We caught up with our lives and then picked up more mulch and potting soil as well as a few tomatoes and eggplants for my veg garden.

DH found a baby rabbit near the garage this morning. He caught it and released it back in a treed area, hoping it can survive without it's mother at such a young age. We really don't want it around, but neither do we want to kill it or have Phoebe catch it.

I think I'll knit for a while until it cools down enough to do the mulch job.
    'bug

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Greetings, idyllers -- I figured I better check in before the "weekend" is officially over... I've been held hostage in the gardens -- isnt that awful? NOT... LOL, I also hit about 5 nurseries over the 'end and gathered enuf things to put a bunch of containers together -- Im feeling fairly pleased with myself. They wont compete w/ our master champion container artistes but they will brighten the yards -- Im sure I was inspired by some of Deanne's as I somehow ended up w/ colors I wouldnt normally do.

Also a clematis Sapphire Indigo (wow, the color) and Rosemoor came home w/ me... The Sapphire is a shortie, so it may be contained as well.

We've yet to get the predicted showers which is fine as I managed to do the outside chores despite the high humidity.. of course there are still a bunch of jobs left to do, including mulching... I suspect that will wait til next weekend.

Deanne -- I have to say your gardens are looking luscious -- I think this has got to be my favorite time of year too, altho the gardens here are a bit ahead -- I've got the first lilies starting to open already - amazing.... I hope the next 2 days of rain dont ruin everything.

I've still got the next 2 days off - if it really rains as predicted I guess I'll be forced to do some of those inside jobs I've sooo been avoiding. Plus another vet return tomorrow - hopin to get the furry munchkin off some of her meds - cross your fingers...

Well, now that I've hastened thru this thread, i'll try to go back and leisurely look at the incredibl photos ....

--cindy

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

How come 3 day WEs go by so fast ? Seems like it was Friday night just a few minutes ago. As I worked in the back garden today I had a revelation involving lawn and space. I have now marked off another maybe 100 sq ft of lawn that is destined for the county yard waste facility. This is one of the areas, and you might just be able to see the yellow mason line I used to outline the dig area. In my experience the stuff dug up seems to expand somewhat during the process:-) This is one of the worst areas of the lawn in any case ( I am a bad, bad lawn mom ) so its no loss. Ill move the Alchemilla when they are bloomed out and have a nice new planting area.
    {{gwi:156997}}From Garden 2009

I have another spot lined out that is much larger than this. I figure if I dig for a half hour or so a day after work I can have all the lawn out of these spaces before I take a week off in early June. Guess Im going to need more plants !

I wondered what youd been up to this weekend Cindy- It sounds pretty similar to mine , although I visited only 2 nurseries (Target doesnt count) and I did a boatload of planting. 2 more days off ! Very nice . I had contemplated a similar scenario but tabled it in favor of an entire week off next month. And of course another lengthier vaca in late July Wooo hooo ! I googled your new clems- very pretty !

Hope your rain clears up soon Marian. I think ours is over for the year at this point. We rarely get any in June. Ive already almost emptied all my rain barrels , and I m on the once a week watering regimen for the beds.

Hoping all is well at the Julie house, and wonder how Saucys gardening weekend has progressed ?

Here is my container grouping area all planted up looks like a bunch of clay pots right now ! Everything got fed yesterday and will be fed again next week as well. {{gwi:156998}}From Garden 2009

Last but not least, this is my pitiful little Celosia spicata Flamingo Feather seeding, and you will note I had to protect its tinyness with a stick barrier, lest Ted or Doobie decide to take a nap (or worse) on it. {{gwi:156999}}From Garden 2009

Waves to all Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Lots of gardening going on in Idylland this weekend, as well as other projects.
    It's been nonstop gardening for me too. I worked on containers one day and have been weeding and edgeing. I also moved some plants. It's been raining a lot so I worked between rains. It's looking like a jungle around here as things are really putting on size with the rains.
    I won't get a lot done the next week and a half as DD and hubby are coming up from FL and we are making a weekend trip for a family reunion in IN.
    I'm enjoying all the pics and sharing.
    Take care everyone. Norma

• chelone
    14 years ago

I spent yesterday rearranging ill used plants, moving them to the sunnier locales of the new planting near the road. I did some edging, too. Among the relocatees is a Baptisia australis that had to be moved when the bahn excavation began. It's been in a too shadey site for about 2 yrs. and it divided itself as I pried it from the ground. Reinterred, it has promptly made its unhappiness quite clear. I've done some theraputic staking and watered it in well, but this is unlikely to be "its year". I'm glad of the cool temperatures and rainy weather heading our way from the land o' Cindy and Marian. I have a bad feeling about the Viburnum sargentii, BOTH of them. The one I planted higher is still in the same holding pattern, the other has a nasty case of very crispy leaves... think the 90s last week had anything to do with that??

Our friend brought the Wrecking Crew down yesterday afternoon. It took about 32 seconds for them to land in the pond, which cracked me up. Poor Polly fled behind the case clock and both of them decided to investigate, finding out that cats are not only brave and fast but fully equipped to make the point that they don't wish to be hassled. The other two cats simply melted away undetected. It would appear we'll be dog sitting in late June for about a week. That should provide plenty of opportunity for two OOC Labs. to learn how to play nicely with kitties...

Like Kathy, I've been allowing my imagination to follow a variety of paths with respect to plantings to block the road. There is a big part of me that would dearly love to snap my fingers and have a 12' high evergreen hedge magically appear but the other side of me feels it's important to have a planting that's "friendlier" than a wall of something. I'm now considering the addition of a smaller tree and continuing underplanting and foreground planting with shrubs of varying height. So, the thought process continues.

And now it's time to head to work and later a dentist appointment. Can't wait!

• jak1
    14 years ago

Good morning Idylls!

Just dropping by to say how much I have enjoyed all the photos, and I've done a quick read too, and had a few chuckles as well! (I especially like the visual of Marie clicking together the heels of her red shoes *LOL*).

DH is still progressing..a big day yesterday as his doctor removed the intravenous and put him on two different oral meds...lots easier, let me tell you! However, there is to be NO alcohol of Any Kind while on these meds for 14 days - that even includes mouthwash...so I hate to think what kind of stuff is in them. However, he is determined to play golf in the men's league tonight - staying in bed all afternoon and using a cart for the nine holes. I won't bore you with my side of this discussion *sigh*

Spent a good part of last evening dealing with a very teary 7 year old who is having difficulty at school - his teacher is ill and the class has had a succession of supply teachers. The current one is a "crack the whip" type and has no patience with my little fellow's printing. We have tried since September to get extra help for him, no dice. So I finally told him we would get a little book and practice ourselves and not tell anyone and he would simply improve, to everyone's surprise. He went to bed at 11:00 clutching my fuzzy bathrobe...breaks my heart to see a kid so upset over this.

The gardens are looking good, although I haven't yet planted my hanging baskets, weeded the rockery, or dug out around the Korean lialacs to put down "tree surrounds" (flat pads of stuff to keep the grass from growing in). Today I will be working on community beds with the Hort Society, and the next four days will be rainy, so I guess most of my outstanding work will get done next week. But I hope to paint the basement bedroom during the rainy season and put all the stuff back and clean up the indoor planting area which is absolutely gross. One step at a time!

Off to start my day...have a great week, everyone!

Cheers,

Julie

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am going to copy that list, GB, and hopefully take your advice and plants some bulbs this year, though I always seem to lose garden steam (maybe because a new school year is beginning?)....

Chelone, your mixed border is going to be a beautiful screen. A twelve foot wall of evergreen just wouldn't fit in, would it? Patience is the hardest part of the garden vision.

A family reunion sounds like fun, Norma!

Cindy, it sounds like you got some good gardening time in! I'll bet your garden will be lush well into the hot months of July and August thanks to all your rain. We have to look for the silver lining, right?

Kathy, good move on the lawn removal. My zinnias are finally ready to plant. I decided to put the 'envy' with salvia farinacea - we'll see.

I am whooped this morning. I spent all weekend gardening - just couldn't make myself paint. I ripped out the viburnum that has been mocking me and replaced it with a trellis that has 'polish spirit' as it's mate. I got the berm garden weeded and mulched and I put together a couple of pots. I'm really liking the little area between my house and garage and have dubbed it the zen garden. I got my front porch cleaned off and spray painted a little table to go with the chairs I have there. It's clean, that's all I'll say about it.

The family came home only to turn around and go back out this morning, this time to school and work. I will take today to get the lawn mowed and wrap up any undone jobs. I love this time of year!

Better go - today is gym day. I need my arm strenth these days....

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Chelone, when we moved to the farm, we soon discovered that an extension to a gravel pit was slated for the area behind our property. The pit owners began a schmooze campaign and began making oral promises about trees and berms etc. None of these sounded like firm promises to me, and besides, I didn't want a row of soldier trees on the perimeter of our property. I spoke to several knowledgeable people about evergreen trees and discovered a man who studied forestry at the nearby university who planted and raised his own trees for sale at reasonable prices. We ended up buying about 20 of these trees which are now huge! He planted them for us and I watered them for 3 years through drought times. What we discovered is that my instinct was right, that a row of soldiers is ugly but that random planting produces a really good effect, the illusion of a forest. DH is pleased with my project. It has been over ten years since I naively entered the world of shrubs and trees.

Yesterday I managed to plant up about 5-6 more containers and complete the mulching of our large yellow & blue flower bed. It looks good! I planted several more of the ghetto plants as well. Then I planted about a dozen eggplants and some tomato plants as well, all near the zucchinis I planted last week.

This is the last dry day for us for the rest of the week and so I am hoping to complete lots of small tasks outdoors. Lots of moving of plants from here to there and topping up soil in holes etc. It is windy though so I'll need to see how it goes.

DD called and is contemplating organizing the building of a garden at an amazing house where 4 of her friends live. Yesterday she went there after dropping off DGS at school, and they talked about hopes and dreams, muscle power, equipment and finances. I sent her the URL for the weekend blitz at Jen's house (That Eden posted here)to give her motivation. It sounds like a vast property with nothing to save and many problems with weedy suckering shrubs, large shade trees around the perimeter, etc. They also want a vegetable garden. She may send me a "map" of the place to give me a better idea. I'll need to hire this out to Eden, Saucy and Mary!~

From yesterday, Iris Dardanus:
    {{gwi:148848}}

Onward!
    'bug

14 years ago

Day two of retirement - looking good so far....:-)
    {{gwi:157000}}

We spent most of yesterday in Toronto and did some plant shopping on the way home. We're still in search of my birthday plant - a 'butterflies' Japanese maple... We did find one yesterdtay but it was too big to fit in the trunk of the car so are still looking for a - hopefully - smaller one!

It sounds like there was a lot of productive gardening going on this past weekend....

Julie - good to hear that DH is improving.

gb - we're experimenting with altering rising and retiring times :-) Randy used to be a night-owl in his younger years but 30 years of so of getting up early for the long slog into the city may have permanently re-set his internal alarm clock so we'll see what happens...

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I'm sure Randy is not quite convinced he is in retirement mode yet, but he sure looks fine backed by wisteria! I'm sure you'll have enough jobs to keep him busy. ;)

I came across two comments I enjoyed that I'll share here:

- I've let the housework go lately because I'm concentrating on other things in my life. If it makes others feel superior, well GOOD! (my friend Judy)

- I really love good food, that's why I don't cook!(SIL Nancy)

Collected meds in town, mowed part of the lawn before the rains come, filled a hole by the barn with (terrible) soil, transplanted a Russian sage and wonder if it will survive my rough treatment, planted a clematis Versailles too, then gave an impromptu tour of the garden and gave away lots of fresh asparagus to two friends, then made a lamb stew for dinner. Think I'll sit back and knit! The rain can start now!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Squish, squish here.... too rainy and wet to do anything outdoors so had to turn to switching clothes for the season around - it always creates more mess, LOL... Im in the home stretch on that; but have the idea I'll try things on before they go in the closet.. hmmm, that sure slows things down.

Woody --Randy looks relaxed already there - I hope he enjoys it. I got the acer Butterflies a few years ago - a two foot twig, but I really love its coloration. I raved about it so that my brother got himself one about 5 tmes the size and he too loves it -- there are some other flashier variegated ones out there now, but this stays small and is a very slow grower. Hope you find the size you want at the price you want.... I will say seeing hints of japanese maples in Sue's garden makes me want other varieties -- I just need a bigger garden that's all!

Well, looks like tomorrow will be more inside stuff and Im kicking myself that I didnt take the time to grab some photos before the deluge - right now roses and clems are beaten down and some things flat to the ground - glad I didnt put the succulents out yet - they'd be drowning!

--cindy

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

The half hour of digging didnt work out too well this afternoon, it was 88 out when I got home , and the digging areas were right in the path of the blazing sunshine. I did about 15 minutes. I guess thats better than nothing. I might go out and do a bit more when the sun sinks abit-perhaps during every commercial in the baseball game ? I noticed something really interesting yesterday, and of course this is totally anecdotal, non-scientific info, but the Zinnias that I grew from seed seem to be of less interest to the marauding snails that the fill in Zinnias I bought at the nursery. So maybe the snails like the succulent pumped-up growth on the force fed guys over my puny seedlings that got a shot or two of diluted fish emulsion.

Jeesh Cindy, you may as well move to Seattle with all the moisture youve been getting are you over season normal in rainfall ? I agree on the J. maples. I would love to replace both the Birch and especially the Liquidambar with Japanese maples. The birch is pretty but not very healthy and the Liquidambar is pretty and way too healthy !

Woody it looks like the Wisteria is portrait central around your house. Nothing better than a retired guy with a shovel ! I could use him over here about now too..

I agree with Chelone and Saucy --I never get around to doing the bulb things I want to do. Maybe we should make a pact to nag each other relentlessly next fall so we all get our Bulb Julie Job done .I havent got a single Daffodil in my garden , not to mention the other cool stuff on bugs list.

Hi Julie, Im sure glad you checked in. DH must be feeling better if hes lookin for a tee-time. No 19th hole for him though with the booze restrictions. I guess its still green tea on the wine deck these days. I think you handled the situation with the printing very nicely- when I was in 4th grade Sister Ann Roberta took my fountain pen away (we had those cartridge numbers) and made me write in pencil because she did not find my penmanship up to snuff. I was totally humiliated and remember it to this day. The nuns were unquestioned authority and back up from home was not forthcoming.
    What is this rockery you mentioned Julie ? Have we been given a tour ?

bug that Iris is very striking. I am on board with you and Chelone on the naturalistic placement of the tree and or shrub border given the type of properties you own. I enjoy seeing formal displays of these but they have to be considerate of the architectural integrity of the buildings on the site and the overall garden style.

Ok, I need to go make some food and check in on the baseball game..

The Dayliles are starting to bloom in earnest- here is Moonlit Madness

{{gwi:157001}}From Garden 2009

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

I'll soon be squishing along with Cindy. We've got a nice steady downpour right now with more predicted over the next couple of days. That's okay, because I was looking for a little respite from the watering tasks. It will be nice for all that was planted in the last week or so to get a good soaking.

I think that I wrote some comments on Eden's thread and then closed the tab without finishing the posting process.

Chelone, please smack me upside the head a time or two. I could have the painting job all done by now, but poor advance planning meant that I ran out of all three paint colors. When I realized I needed two paints, I made the trek to the next town before lunchtime yesterday. I got the ceiling white off the chelf while the nice lady was mixing up the quart of Healing Aloe - except she discovered they were out of the base paint! So I paid for one can of paint and headed on down the road to find the out of the way hardware store that also carried Benji Moore. They were able to supply my Aloe fix. So do you think I would have gotten more of the accent color, just to be safe? Of course not.

I'm blaming it all on brain overload.

But I'm very, very close, and as soon as the local paint store is open late I will be there to get that last can.

I spent the first three hours at work wishing I was still at home painting. Hmm, I didn't think there was enough Advil in the world to get me to think that way, but there you have it!

I'm going to make it an early night tonight. DH finally is back on the road, so I will have doggy duty in the rain tomorrow morn. I need to allow extra time for that!

Later,

V.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

It was a busy weekend but I did get in some gardening time on Saturday and Monday. I got lots accomplished. We could use some rain though. Cool today and tomorrow so I threw in a couple of containers of WS seedlings. Including the Queen Lime Red zinnias that Eden so generously shared with me. I also planted several rows of zinnias in the cutting garden. I hauled a few plants from indoors out tonight. Its just been too windy. Usually I plant my containers Memorial Day weekend.

Woody, the wisteria is stunning.

Julie, good to hear that your DH is doing better. Poor TCS, Im sure substitute teachers are hard for kids to transition to.

Add me to the list of those who never get their fall bulbs ordered.

Kathy, is your Flamingo Feather the pink or purple? Ive had both. Im not sure if I have seeds left or not. If not Ill probably have a few seedlings pop up. They reseed quite nicely. Which reminds me, do you have snapdragons reseed? I had Black Prince in the Secret Garden last year and now I have tons of seedlings. Im assuming thats what they are, but Ive never had any others reseed for me.

Chelone, did you use a chain saw on the miscanthus? I had a heck of a time with a blue oat grass which was probably a breeze compared with yours. I use an old serrated knife.

Eden, Kate looks so peaceful. I suppose she has her moments though?

PM2, your photo is very Monet-like. Be sure to let the Aquilegia seed a bit as they tend to be short lived but move around my garden with their seeding. They tend to like to seed in the gravel path the best. Let me know if you would like seeds from Woodside Variegata a nice chartreuse variegated one.

Deanne, the cordyline was the first thing to catch my eye. What a great plant! Your containers look fabulous already.

I tried several times to put up a thread of pictures and about the time I got them nearly organized IE encountered a problem and had to shut down. Grrr. Ive had this a lot lately so thought Id try Firefox, hopefully this helps.

Later
    Michelle

• anitamo
    14 years ago

It's been raining off and on for two days, and it put a damper on any planting. I'm getting a mini ghetto garden started and it bugs me when that happens. I did pick up two Fothergilla gardenii's today at a great price, so I'm happy about that. One will go in the foundation area, or maybe both, to replace some overgrown hollies. I went out in the dark last night to spray some deer repellent after my BIL (who lives two doors down) noticed two of them a few houses down from me. I've been trying to spray weekly ever since noticing them munching earlier this spring.

I'm still working on getting some photos posted. I have my nephew working on it. I went to Osco today to have the pictures downloaded to a CD since the link to get them directly off my camera isn't working. But when I put the CD in, nothing happened. Nephew thinks he knows the problem and hopefully will have it fixed by tomorrow.

I chuckled at kathy's comment about nothing better than a retired guy with a shovel in his hands. Any guy with a shovel is a welcome sight in my yard.

woody...Randy is looking very relaxed. I'm sure you're both getting used to the new schedule.

julie...It made me sad to think of DGS being so upset and clutching your robe. School could do that to a young mind. If I remember correctly, it seems that handwriting is a skill that isn't fully realized until around grade 5. It was for me, and how I remember that, I have no idea.

I think the weeds I've been battling is nutsedge. It's named one of the worse weeds in the world on some sites. I've been pulling it, but learned by doing so, I'm actually making it spread more! I took pictures, but they are ones stuck in camera cyberland, so hopefully I can post them and get an accurate ID soon.

I'm calling it a night. I know there was more I wanted to comment on, but I can't recall it now. Hi to all.

Anita

• chelone
    14 years ago

OK, I'm in for a penny, in for a pound with respect to ordering bulbs, you guys. If we make this a team effort how can we possibly fail to at least get the order in? I think it would be a fun group activity for late summer into fall. 'bug's list is really a comprehensive plan, chockablock full of great suggestions. (pass on the tulips, I think the majority of them are vastly over-rated and a waste of money).

I am an unabashed fan of very formal plantings. I love hedges, fences, walls, all manner of that sort of thing. And, I could see any of those things working splendidly for our situation. However, taken in the greater context of the "neighborhood" it really wouldn't be in keeping with the rolling, rural character of the land and the style of our domicile. We do enjoy speaking with walkers and cyclists, too, and I think that's important in a community that is a toursit destination. But the unobstructed view of vehicle after vehicle, the trash casually tossed from car windows, and the road noise puts a damper on any enjoyment of the property on a busy holiday weekend. Add to that the fact that the road is higher than our property and it's not hard to get an idea of the challenges facing us in deciding how to screen it effectively. You are so right, Saucy, things just don't grow fast enough and purchasing larger items and having them planted gets expensive very quickly... with no real guarantee of survival! So, I'll keep picking away at the planting, and allow my mind to wander and explore possibilities.

YAY for Julie's DH! sounds as though he's heading into the home stretch and while the drive to the wire may be no fun, the end result should be. I hope he enjoyed every minute of his golf round, celebrating the 19th. hole with green tea. I also applaud the handling of TCS's dismay over his printing. Little hearts and minds are easily hurt but recover quickly with some TLC and encouragement. Some quality practice time at home with some humor tossed in will solve the problem in no time, I'm sure. Dad was a southpaw with perfect penmanship, but was forced to write with his right hand and was reduced to tears when it was time for penmanship (well before ballpoint pens). His teacher one fall asked him if he wanted to use his left hand and he exploded into tears... "they won't let me!". Nonesense said she, I've been doing it for years. And then she showed him the trick of turning the paper around to suit his leftie perspective and spare him the characteristic left margin slanted letters common to lefties as well as smeared ink... . Barak Obama was never taught to turn the paper, watch him the next time he signs something. ;) Dad accepted no excuses for anything less than a "A" in penmanship; "darling, there is NO excuse for poor penmanship".

No chainsaw on the grass, Michelle. Instead, I divided it from the roots to the crown. I used a pointed shovel and chiselled away removing the adhered soil from the roots along the dividing line and then gradually working into the accumulated thatch of the crown area. It worked beautifully and the toughest part of the entire operation was prying the massive thing out the ground. I used a lever and rope to do that. I ended up with 5 nice divisions (if potted they'd be in the 3-5 gallon range) and a few little guys that sort of fell off the divisions and were planted together in a final hole. I will be interested to see how large they get this year and how effective my serpentine planting will be over time. I love blue oat grass, but composted the clump I was given some years ago as I didn't then have a place to plant it. Is that a "runner" or a "clumper"? I am particularly partial to "blue" or glaucus foliage, along with variEgation.

I'm out of time this morning, but if the rain arrives today (as I hope it will) I'll be able to comment on the many things that have made me chuckle or sparked a mental comment. I don't want to work today... would rather clean or mess around in the Salon!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Looks like we will be getting Cindy, Marian's and V's rain today. At least the forecast is for 90% chance of rain. We can use it, I've been dragging the hose around for a week. I'm feeling happy this morning that DH's back is improving and his PT appointment is scheduled for this morning and I had one good day yesterday with the digestive issues, so I'll take it. I've been able to step up the amount of time outside gardening and that always gives me a shot in the arm. I'm very conscious of hot weather on the doorstep and trying to speed it up to get what has to get done, done.

Yes, Chelone, it feels wonderful to get that rock edging finished. Yesterday, DS helped me sift the remaining buckets of soil and shoveled another 3 wheelbarrels of compost into the new space and we're about 85% filled. Not bad. Next is newspaper and mulch and allowing it to settle. I can't wait to get the whole area finished and photos taken.

I do understand the restraint on containers. They are fun. I love having them done, but storing them, moving them, filling them with all that potting soil, is something we can only do in limited quantities. Not to mention the ton of plant material necessary to have them looking just so.

Have you tried Aquilegia in different spots? I have to encourage you to find a place for them, they are delightful. They have been one of the easiest of seeds to collect and wintersow and I'm already seeing that they reseed nicely. I have to believe you can grow them because mine are happy in less than fabulous conditions. They get morning sun in dry clay at the dripline of two trees. My favorite is the 'Dragonfly' series at the moment because they have the long spurs that I love. I hope to have seed and would be happy to share.

Marian....thank you for your well wishes for DH and I, too. I know you understand how that goes. :-) I wonder about Nolon's hearing...has he tried to get a hearing aide? If it were possible, it might make a huge difference in quality of life for the both of you. .....Exciting that your cosmos and morning glories are up. Where are you putting the morning glory? I'm very happy for you that you are able to garden a little more this year.

Michelle...thank you for your offer of seed from your Aquilegia, I would love some. :-) I can send you some of mine in return. I will be taking photos of some of the blossoms soon and I will post more. In that last photo, all the flowers in the background are aquilegia. I thought they don't really come true to seed, is that right?

Kathy....I would be happy to send seed for aquilegia for you too. Do your winters get cold enough to winter sow seed? They are really easy that way and are pretty dependable germinators for me.

Yay Julie! What a relief that must be that he is on the mend. Hoping there are no ill effects from the golf outing. Maybe the fresh air and sunshine will do him good? :-)

V.....when is the wedding, btw? It must be coming right around the corner.

I'm also planning on adding more bulbs in the fall. I wish I had more places that I could add more daffodils. There are so many varieties that I would love. I do want to concentrate more on the smaller bulbs this fall though. Tulips are off my list too, but everything else on Gardenbug's list sounds lovely.

Time to get going....

For Mary.... :-)

{{gwi:157002}}

When farmer Matthias Eglin of Rothenfluh, Switzerland, wanted to build a new shed for his chickens he had to plant a meadow similar to the one that would be displaced...on the shed roof. Like neighboring Germany, Switzerland has established robust regulations to maintain green space, with plant covered roofs a common strategy for meeting environmental standards.

From Green Roofs, Diane Cook and Len Jenshel photo

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well that chicken house is genius! I love the roof! I keep forgetting that I want to make a bird house with a sedum roof top - I think it'd be fun for Jake to build.

I am happy for this much needed rain. I needed to be pulled inside today to take care of indoor business :)

I'm in for the bulb planting bonanza! I think bulbs are just what my GGarden needs for early spring. Chelone, I don't mind the species tulips - check those out.

V., I hope you get to sit in the freshly painted Healing Aloe room and heal yourself soon :) Travelling back and forth to the store takes the wind out of my sails.

I'd better get moving. Have a great day all!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Soggy morning here and I WILL have to get out there and tie up clematis knocked over by high winds. Before breakfast I managed to take some photos which I'll try to share later on a separate thread. Good photo taking conditions!

But, to illustrate a point I'll share these:
    {{gwi:157003}}

{{gwi:157004}}

I very much like the early tulips Saucy spoke of. There are wonderful colors and variety! I also like Angelique which has a romantic feminine look when combined well with other plants. It is the combinations I find important. Personally, i would not enjoy the Camassia (above) without the Spring Green tulips which bloom at the exact same time. I look forward to this scene every spring! And the tulips DO return. That is an important factor in the ones I select. Similarly, the White Purissima I mentioned return well too.

Gotta get a move on here, but will try to be back later.
    'bug

• jak1
    14 years ago

Good morning everyone!

Thank you for the happy comments on DH's condition and the sympathetic ones for TCS. DH did manage to play his nine last night, did have green tea on the nineteenth, and got home none the worse for wear. Although he is not really well, he is certainly better today than we expected.

We firmly believe that TCS suffers from ADD, and are looking for a professional diagnosis, but are doing things together to help him out. There are a lot of things that, taken together, make a difference. We just keep slogging along!

I just browsed through all 800+ of my photos - none of the rockery! Guess why...it is just plain ugly. I used flat field stone to cover up a small slope at the very back of the lot, and planted all kinds of little stuff inbetween the rocks. The little stuff hasn't done well and the grass and weeds from the orchard have crept in. Last summer I lifted every rock, weeded, replanted...it looks just as bad as ever this spring. Maybe I'll clean it up again, and take a photo or two while it is in good shape...don't hold your breath!

We are having the rain today too, and it is forecast for the next four days. I am glad of the respite from so many outdoor chores; also the inside is looking pretty dreary and can use a clean-up. I am exhausted. I have done so much running around the last three weeks; even yesterday I spent four hours doing community planting to get it done before the rain, planted my lwn hanging baskets, and biked to soccer and back with TCS in the evening. I used to have sleep issues, insomnia; guess what kind of sleep issues I have now? I could sleep forever!

I love all the talk about chickens and quail and the like. I would love the fresh eggs, but I don't think I could eat a chicken that I knew. I am such a squeam!

Dogs are showing the effects of benign neglected over the last few weeks. They are not getting enough exercise or training. That takes care of two out of Chelone's three dog requirements. They are getting the love stuff. Last week they gave the most appalling display of bad-dog-manners that I have ever seen: walking nicely with the two of them, a couple walked by with a very large white german-shepherd typ dog, and my two little twenty-pounders went absolutely nuts. Yelping, whing, jumping; Tucker even broke his collar and leash trying to get closer to this other dog, which, incidentally, behaved itself wonderfully. Finally Tucker got away and jumped joyously all over this poor dog. There I was with a crazed Ajax all over the place, Tucker leaping all over the road and the other dog, and of course I also had the requesit little bags of poop to hold on to as well. I finally got the man to stand on Ajax's leash while I gathered up Tucker, his collar, his leash, the baggies...and then I also picked up Ajax and carried everything home - I was absolutely furious with them both. The people asked me if I knew that it is illegal in Ontario to own Pit-Bulls. Pit-bulls indeed. They haven't walked on this street since. I am furious just thinking about it, but I feel quite guilty too, as they haven't had the much-needed attention. Oh well, all things in good time.

All the gardens and plantings look amazing. I am so envious of the gorgeous wisteria. For the most part it doesn't survive here, but there is a little house here in town that is covered with it, and I don't know how they manage it. And of course the Laurie and Randy Garden Decorations would be most welcome in any garden, I'm sure *LOL*

Most of my things survived the winter. I lost two clems; one was a Florida Seiboldi that I didn't think would make it anyway; the other was a large flowered blue thing that I forget the name of. The ones I hoped for the most are great: Josephine, and a Durandii. I am really pleased about them. My Boston Ivy on the wall is much better already than it was last year too.

Well, enough rambling...I think I'll try to clean up my filthy indoor garden area today and also psyche out what I need to do to get the guest room pained and back to "normal" - although disrupted and unkempt seems to be the normal for that room!

Keep up the good work, Idylls!

Cheers,

Julie

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Marie, the white tulips really set the Camassia off, but even without them, it grows so much better for you than for me. What I have never make a nice patch. I miss them, because I grew up around Camassia. I am sure you have seen the huge camas area in my Idaho pic. They are why that area was named Camas Prairie.

I am about ready to pull my hair out! the dratted mouse/mice nipped off 2 of my newly sprouted 8 morningglorys, some of the few cosmos, some of the newly sprouted zinnias, and dug up and toted off the Chinese Chestnuts that I sowed in pots! And this all happened in our utility room! I have declared war on them/it.

I was going to go to town today, but MORE rain is on the way!!! We are way above the average for this time of the year.
    I hate shopping in the rain, espacially for plants...

My Spiderworts are doing their thing in my front flowerbed:
    {{gwi:157005}}

And the Baptisia is blooming:

{{gwi:157006}}

I love this pale lavender Iris. Wish I knew it's name. A friend gave me the start.

{{gwi:157007}}

I got part of our yard mowed yesterday. Maybe if I hurry, I can get more done before a rain comes... the sun is out right at the moment.

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good evening friends ! Weather is great and its almost the weekend again- couldnt be better .. I dug this evening and repositioned my guide string about a million times , and WALATed around the area with the post-dig chardonnay. Wondering if the Wells Fargo Wagon will be here tonight with my Digging Dog stuff. (UPS is an evening event in my neighborhood) and am cooking a nice Norcal Artichoke for dinner.
    Ok, it looks like its a go on the Bulb Nag in Sept oooh I hear the UPS truck and its in front of my house wooo-hoo! time-out.

Time-in. Unpacked my plants and took a pic-they look great . Two Campanula Sarastro (copying Deanne) 1 Penstemon Raven one Anthriscus s. Ravenswing and Nepeta Longpipes" . Hoping Doobie and Ted will not destroy the latter. {{gwi:157008}}From Garden 2009

Ok, back to the bulb stuff, Im going to make a list and go for some daffs and cool species Tulips , and a whole bunch of Dutch iris-cheap as dirt and great in the vase.And Ranunculas. Got Sept 1 marked as Idyll Bulb Nag Day #1 on the outlook calendar. Ill hide 5 bucks in a drawer every week and by Sept Ill have some accumulated funds for the purchase. The employee discount will be called into service as well.

Michelle, my Flamingo Feather is pink- I wanted the one we saw IUing at Wave Hill last summer , here is a pic. {{gwi:157009}}From Idyllunion 5 July 2008

I liked the bronze foliage with the purple flowers but could not find seed for this , so I settled for the pink. If you have seeds from this one I would love to have some ! And if you dont maybe you know where I could get some ? I thought I exhausted just about all the seed co.s We had a lengthy SALAT at this bed , it was fabu, and my pic doesnt do it justice. {{gwi:157011}}From Idyllunion 5 July 2008

I have never have Snaps reseed, but I usually pull them up way before they get to the point of developing seed because of the rust. Ive never really tried to grow them from seed either-are they easy ?

Anita, once you get the hang of photo posting its really easy we all use various photo sharing websites here , I have an account with Flickr, Photobucket , and Picassa. I prefer Picassa because there are no adds and I can upload the size I want. Flickr has better slideshow functions.

Chelone, do the species Tulips thing, Saucy is spot-on. They are very very cool and would be a good match for The Compound.

PM, I dont need to wintersow Columbine, I can just throw out the seed in fall and it will come up. I would love some seeds ! Thanks for offering , Ill e-mail you . Glad to to hear of DHs progress.

Julie , nice to hear such positive reports from you ! Maybe you need to take on that rockery as a JJ? Ive always thought it would be really cool to have one. And in the none-of-my-business mode, I hope you will get a 2nd opinion on any potential diagnosis of ADD on TCS. Im sure you are aware what a controversial topic this is.
    Guest rooms are hell-holes. I will stand by this comment at any cost.

Ok, I need to move my new plant kids to a safe zone . Waves to all, and where is our Mary ??

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Blow the trumpets, I have finished painting the basement. The bedroom carpet will be installed tomorrow morning. Once I get another able-bodied adult in the house, I will move the furniture back and this project will be over and done. Can you hear the massive sigh of relief from the middle of the country?

Yes, the wedding is approaching quickly - June 13th! But I feel like things are falling into place.

Chelone, tulips chosen judiciously last for a long time. Species tulips are great choices. I need to add bulbs this fall. A couple of years ago I planted several hundred bulbs and sort of burnt myself out in the process. But this spring, I looked at this bed and decided I could dig again this fall to enjoy more of this beauty:

{{gwi:157013}}

Someone remind me when I am carping in the fall that it's worth it!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

You are now on the Bulb Nag List V. Yay for your painting stuff being done. It will be nice for you long after the festivities are over..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

No champagne on the newly painted ceiling now V!!!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz