Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Idyll # 439 I'm in the Garden

saucydog
14 years ago

I think it's safe to say that we're all spending a fair amount of time in our gardens now :)

Carry On (and don't forget to show us pictures of what you've been doing....)

Saucy

Comments (102)

• chloehoover
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So much to "wow" about -- Saucy that leaf casting is to die for - I love the coloration -- you're quite an artiste. Im sure all idyllers would clean out your stock -- so you're taking custom orders, eh? well, we'll have to see your portfolio!

Beautiful garden photos -- Im of course drooling over so many agave mediopicta alba, Kathy -- and your gardens are such a delight. Interesting the snaps are doing so well for you this year.

I dont think I've seen those iris reticulata navy before, PM -- I'm going to have to put them on my list....

Hope Julie's DD is feeling better by now.

Worked really hard yesterday on the patio doing clean up and assembling a potting bench -- my DD came over and slaved for me -- her DH got caught by a bug so we had to re-arrange our meal plans w/ his parents -- so I got lots of free labor instead - it was worth foregoing a meal - no dressup required either.... I wish I'd gotten weeding and planting done, but one can only do so much -- we were both dragging by the time we labored all afternoon.

Wow, Mary -- Annie's sweet sixteen now -- and the car is a reality -- I wish you peace and sleeping pills to rest at nite, LOL....

I truly am glad to know where the gnomes' homes are..... banished, LOL..... we may encounter them at Chelone's, eh?

--cindy

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday to Annie! I can't believe she's 16. Yes Mary, now the sleepless nights begin. I've was never able to sleep until they were safe and sound, back home at night.

Marie, how's Baby Girl doing? Kate's growing so much, she's just about outgrown her newborn wardrobe. This girl likes to eat! She has a weigh in at her check up this afternoon. She's doing really well, sleeping 4-5 hours a stretch at night now so Jen's only having to get up with her once. She's so good. Jen feeds her, puts her back in her crib and she goes right back to sleep.

So Cindy, show us a picture or two of your spiffed up patio and new potting bench?

V, lol on the gnomes. Great news that the soon to be newlyweds have found their first home!

Julie, hoping for a peaceful, stressfree week for you!

Kathy, I'm loving all of your pictures this spring. You're garden is really beautiful this year.

Woody, Jen's face is just about back to normal now. Her eye is fine now, just a little droop of her mouth when she smiles. Thanks for asking! She's on a mission to get back to her pre-pregnancy size now, about 15 pounds to loose.

PM, love the iris reticulata Navy! I'm not farmiliar with the honesty plant but it's really pretty too!

Chelone, you have many irons in the fire these days. Such a busy girl you are!

I'm going to try to get out in the garden a bit. It's pretty chilly today, only in the 50s. The lilacs and myosotis are both blooming now and along with all of the spring green it's all so pretty. May make a visit to the nursery later this afternoon to use a Mother's Day gift certificate. It's burning a hole in my pocket :)

Have a great Monday everyone!

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Well what do you know, theres Anita !! Hi Anita, great to see you again , I hope you can stick around for awhile. Im only ahead by virtue of geography. Zone 9 is a good place to be..

PM, lol I enjoyed all your mole/vole flicks. That is a problem I just dont have here thank goodness. Honesty is also Money Plant right ? Ive never grown them and when I think about it I dont see them around here . Bet Annies Annuals has them though.

Cindy, I have been ripping out Snapdragons in frustration for years , and swearing to never plant them again. I kept hearing that Harmony was a rust-free cultivar , but that was certainly not the case in may garden. I planted three varieties this year-all the Harmonys have been ripped out (with gusto I might add) and the La Bellas and Rockets are doing great. I see some rust starting on them, but they will be pulled up in another month or so anyway to make way for the Zinnias so its all good.

Thanks Eden, not having my house on the market has been kind of liberating and Im really having fun packing things in. Glad to hear that Jen and little Miss Kate are both doing well.

So V, do the gnomes come with the house ?

OK, time to skee-daddle, got to fix some dinner and settle down for some baseball , and more rose dead-heading too ,

Waves to all !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

It was a lovely day but my engine is only going at half speed. I did manage some vegetable garden weeding, just not enough. Tomorrow is another day! The zinnias are planted indoors, both pinks and greens. We'll see how they progress. I spent time carrying plants outdoors this morning and back in again tonight. Frost warnings happen often for us!

DH and I finished the Birthday Book for Skyler tonight. All he has to do is print it out at work and then have it spiral bound. He'll do the first Baby Book as well.

Baby Girl is now called Peanut until further notice. Skyler calls her Pikachu. She has regained her birth weight as of yesterday, sleeps well too. Last night she slept for 5 hours straight! Reed was about 6 months old before he did that! Baby Girl has begun using the toilet already using the EC method they used with Reed. DD can tell already when she needs to go and she responds to turning on the tap. Here she is at 2 days of age.
    {{gwi:157072}}

And here is the pirate birthday boy shooting down a tower of empty pop cans before proceeding to another station of a scavenger hunt.
    {{gwi:157073}}

Mañana!
    'bug

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Good evening all...It has been a busier than usual day for me. I got all the soggy lawn mowed, and did some pruning. Not a lot of sunshine, but at least no rain. It was cold enough to start a fire in the heating stove this morning.

Of course I took more pics, and was very disappointed to miss getting one of the hen turkey that strolled through our yard. Nolon saw it, and called to me, but by the time I got my camera it had gone into the underbrush in the woods. I am hoping it is nesting nearby, and that I will see it again. I am going to put out corn, in the morning, near where it went through.

I had Nolon prune more of the dogwood which was supposed to be pink . He took out the fractured limb that was making making noises when the wind blew. It had broken more, and was hanging down so low it interfered with my mowing. I had him take off three more limbs that were so low I had to bend way down to mow under them. Now I will not be banging my head on it! It also made it look better.

Michelle, I don't dig anything that I may endanger the future growth. If there are a lot I may take some for my beds, from our own land.

Eden, that winking pic of Kate is so funny! LOL.

Kathy, I am partial to Phals too, but also have two other species, and would like more, but am running out of space!
    You are getting as absent minded as I! Forgetting to get groceries! I was so busy today, I almost forgot to eat my evening snack. :-) More beautiful pics of your flowers.

Thanks, Chelone...I was looking at all my former pics and discovered I had already had an orchid like that one, only it was never that full of flowers, and I think it is one that expired. I have two that look very sickly and have not bloomed for some time, so one may be that one?
    LOL..."Bruce". I never knew anyone to name their cook stove! Or any appliance, for that matter. Bummer on the draw-backs with Bruce.
    We could not survive without a way to make coffee! :-)

Good heavens! Now I want an Astilboides! ( Smacking self on forehead.)

Saucy, the native azelea is so much more delicate looking than the cultivated ones. I am so pleased that it is growing well.
    Goodness, you sure do have a lot of irons in the fire! And you are so talented at making those leaf casts! Sorry about the mix up on the paint. The cast in your pic is lovely!
    You may become famous for your leaf castings. I presume you will have a web site?

V, one of the members of our small congregation is getting married soon, so her family is busy preparing for that. It is not planned to be a big wedding. She is a very dear girl, and I think she has chosen a nice young man. He is in the Navy, so I don't know what their living plans will be. As I have mentioned before, I never had the experience of helping a girl get ready for her wedding, so have little understanding of what all it entails. How great that your DS and fiance have bought a house. It was many years after we were married that we bought our first house. We had a trailer house for awhile, but it is not the same, by any means, unless it is on you own property.
    LOL..."where the garden gnomes go".

Marie, You are sure having a time posting! Sorry...I know how discouraging that is. How nice that your Serviceberry is gracing you with blooms. And what a blessing to not have varmints eating your tulips! It sounds like you have all kinds of beautiful things coming on.

Norma, you are ahead of me with the weeding and weed eating. That MUST be my next jobs! How well I can identify with your statement about summer, although I did quite well last summer. At least the mowing generally slacks off then. And speaking of slippery mowing, every now and then my rider would spin on the wet grass and leaves, and I would have to coax it to continue.
    I also spun in the driveway with my car, and threw mud up on the hood! It is a front end drive.

No special thing for me yesterday, but Tim did call me, and we chatted quite awhile.

I have not seen any moles that were eliminated, but there are at least three less chipmunks! The last one ended up inside the livingroom! Nolon had let Trubby in, and apparently he brought his 'toy' with him. Thankfully, it was not mobile! Neither he nor Tommy will eat them,but the crows remove the carcasses....

BTW, the peas are still surviving, and the Corolla-top- boxes are filling in...:-)

Julie, how scary about your DD's swollen face! And your DH's feet! I do hope they are both much much better by now.

Eden, I totally missed recognizing the cat by the Astilboides! I thought it was brown leaves! So glad to hear that Jen's almost over the Bell's palsy.

Pm2, I have Honesty too, and seem to recall a variegated one at one time. They reseed in the same location every year. I enjoy them.
    We have Orioles too, and they must be Baltimores, but are not too orange, I think they may be young males. They are not dark enough to be Orchard Orioles. They are trying to feed from the hummingbird feeder, and some are not too successful at it. I put out half of an orange, and they have been feeding on it. Beautiful pic of the Iris reticulata.
    I enjoyed the links about moles. And bookmarked them.

I am fizzling out...

Good night all...

Marian

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Le sigh! too busy at work, too busy at home and so much to share. I'll do a Reader's Digest version of some of the highlights.

Sunday morning after the wedding, DH, his sister, her husband and I set out to visit the town that their great-great-great-grandfather had settled. We had downloaded a 1970's newsletter with a photo of the house he had built along with a general description - "on the hill above the river...". Fortunately, it was a very small town and eventually we discovered the house, which is still standing in reasonable condition:

{{gwi:157074}}

It was quite exciting to see the house!

On our way home, DH and I forced ourselves to visit a garden center.

{{gwi:157075}}

Look familiar to anyone?

{{gwi:157077}}

Those of you who went to IU3 would remember Northwind Perennial Farm. We had a wonderful visit and I took lots of photos. I love their display gardens, and this particular purple and yellow combo really struck home with me.

{{gwi:157078}}

And it's well past my bedtime, so I shall abruptly end here. I am glad to see that Anita's back!

V.

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Marie, such a sweet snuggly picutre of little Peanut! And love seeing big brother too!

Kate weighed in at 9 lbs. 5 oz. She's gained nearly a pound in three weeks.

Good night all.

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I'm whiney because IU3 was before my time. Waaah! What a beatiful house V, the square footage must be vast !

Wish I could sleep as peacfully as Peanut !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I'm sorry, I will not call Mae Surprise "Peanut". We had what was perhaps the world's most disgusting little dog named Peanut. She was a Llasa Apso the helpmeet picked up on the road where she was wandering aimlessly, minus tags. She was a mass of matted fur (the mats completely encased her paddy paws), had grossly infected ears, and was a nightmare. Unspayed, too. We had her for about 4 yrs. I'd bet, and she's buried in the Sanitary Ridge garden. I'm sorry but even I can't refer to such pink newness by that name... the connotations are too grim to contemplate. ;)

Anita, I think of you every time I go to get my hair cut. :) Nice to see you pop back in for a visit. How're things shapin' up in your garden these days?

I have enjoyed part of the extensive slide show on Agaves but haven't had to time really reflect on the amazing diversity or put together a list of favorites. But that's a very cool garden, Kathy.

Nor have I had time to check out the v/mole videos, though I could probably contribute nicely if I had a way to film things. ;) There was another one yesterday. But it was outdoors.

I've overslept this morning and will not be hurrying to "catch up", either. No point because I really don't care that much, lol. Time for a reload on the coffee. New Cuisinart coffee maker does and adequate job, but naturally requires the cone shaped filters, not the abundant sort left over from the old Mr. Coffee. Better stock up on the new shape on my way home today.

Bruce is scheduled to be gassed some time today. It's not so much fun not having anything to cook on, though we could have lit the woodstove and had a couple of omelettes, I suppose. I'm contemplating what sort of cake to make for Bruce's inaugural baking run.

I've finished the pickling on the work bench components and all the pieces are under at least one coat of clearcoat, some are even now complete. Next step is to lag the frames together and put on the casters. Then we'll go get the melamine tops and apply those. There is an outside chance I could be "in business" by the weekend, but that may take require a good deal of coaxing of a tuckered out helpmeet. I'm really getting excited about the prospect of being able to do some of the things I've had in my head for some time now.

In between clearcoat and pickling coats yesterday I finally cleaned out the Hydrangea bed. That's the bed where I found the big salamander earlier this spring, and I was very careful cleaning out the accumulated leaves and debris. Sure enough! I found another one, but it was one of the russet colored ones with the purpley racing stripe... only it was about 1 1/4" long; teeny-weeny! I lthought I'd killed it unintentionally until I set him down next to the narcissus and he scuttled away at blinding speed. Yesseree, I love my little amphibians. ;) I've decided that Asarum europeaum is really a handsome groundcover and it looks a lot nicer with all the fallen leaves removed from the environs.

I have my very first ever case of poison ivy, too. It started with a couple of "bites". I thought a few blackflies had gotten inside my sleeves (they leave a nasty weal on me) and inadvertantly scratched them. It's very localized and the helpmeet confirmed it as poison ivy. I went back out and sure enough it's begun colonizing the fern dell along the edge of the lawn. I must've tangled with the stems as the leaves are very tiny (and a lovely red) at this time and there was no way I could have detected its presence when I planted the fern rhizomes. I'm washing it thoroughly daily and hittin' the calamine lotion. I've got it on the run. "You're gonna need an ocean, dumdedum, of calamine lotion... ".

V., that's a great lookin' house. I love the Queen Ann detail of the swept out gables and the decorative shingling. There's a lot of that style around here and predictably, it's made a recent "comeback" with the well-heeled who buy older homes, tear them down, and put up something newer and grander to suit their tastes. There are two lovely examples on my road. I'm trying to avoid nursteries at this time.

OH! there are blossoms on Magnolia "Butterflies"! they smell nice, too. I will try to get a picture of them today because there aren't too many of them in the pipeline. This is another reminder to download the service pack for my camera, I must have nearly as many pictures in the camera as Kathy or V. do after a day out prowling around. But nowhere near as many as Deanne would after a day in the blind.

Gotta go. Cindy, how's Chloe these days?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good morning....

Anita, hello stranger! I wondered where you went off to. :-) Sounds like your spring is the opposite of ours. We had a rain deficit, but we are caught up now, I think. My DS came home with a big blue ceramic pot for Mother's Day. We could post dueling blue pot photos, once they are filled. [g] $5.?!! I hope you will continue to pop in and bring some photos of your garden with you. I would like to see how you are using your Hakone grass. :-)

V....Congratulations on DS/DILTB's new house!! That is very exciting! Look forward to when things calm down there [when will that be? (g)] so we can hear everything that is going on.

Cindy...What a treat you had, having DD come over and help out. Does she enjoy gardening? Hope DSIL is feeling better. So you have a new potting bench? Would enjoy seeing photos. I have one, that is in the garage covered with junk. That job keeps landing at the bottom of the priority list unfortunately. One of these days.

Happy Birthday to Annie, sweet sixteen seems so long ago. :-) So how was the Star Trek movie?

Gardenbug...Awwww, ain't she sweet. Don't we all wish we could sleep like that. Five hours at a stretch is a lot for her age! I got a kick out of Skyler with the tongue out the side of the mouth. Such concentration. [g] That 'vole research' comparing men to voles, it was funny, but so odd, when you think about it, where people come up with this stuff. lol

Eden....Another amazing baby with one feeding in the night! The newborn outfits just don't last long enough, do they? Imagine, Kate is three weeks old today. Jen must be so relieved that the Bell's Palsy is clearing up nicely. Have you been able to spend much time with them? What did you come home with from the nursery?

Honesty, aka 'Money Plant' aka Lunaria. A biennial It is the easiest plant in my garden. Never needs staking and usually remains upright no matter what. Blooms in shade. Self seeds. Is easy to pull up if it goes where you don't want it. Gives lots of color early. No insect or disease problems. It seems once I planted it, I never had to think about it again. Here is an old photo of one of my best spring displays with them.

{{gwi:157079}}

Kathy, Annie's Annuals has a white variegated. Link below. I received my purple variegated in a trade. And they can be grown in zone 4-11.

Marian, you and Nolon seem to be staying pretty busy. Actually, I think it is amazing that you both were able to take care of all that tree damage. So you took more pics but didn't post any? [g] Gee, I didn't realize Orioles would visit Hummingbird feeders. How do you put out oranges for them? The squirrels don't run off with them?

Chelone...the first mole video is 12 seconds long and the 2nd one is only 25 seconds long. Coffee filters, did you know there is a permanent one you can buy? Great progress on the work bench, almost there! Salamanders sound fun. My Mom spent winters in Florida for awhile and they are all over the place down there. That's probably the last time I saw one. Eons ago.

Nothing new or interesting going on at my house. It may rain today and I am planning a slow day. I may spend some time today figuring out what I am going to plant in the expanded border once it is finished.

Enjoy your Tuesday....

pm2

• jak1
    14 years ago

Good Tuesday morning everyone!

Another lovely morning here. Yesterday I mowed the front lawn and did a bit of garden tidying; like Marie, a little bit of my time is spent ferrying plants in and out this time of year. I get impatient to get stuff planted!

Both DD and DH are having a terrible time. DD's male friend, who is an army seargeant, finally went in to the dentist and said "LOOK! Something is not working here!" so then brought her in and it was discovered that she isn't healing. They asked her if she was following all the instructions on "the sheet". "What sheet?". She wasn't given the instructions and had been doing a few things wrong, particulary in terms of medication. Once she got things going right, yesterday, she was feeling much better in a matter of hours. So I guess she is on the mend. I would love to be there to offer her some help.....but then there's DH.

He has a blood infection, a serious one, that requires him to spend an hour an a half in the hospital every eight hours. Of course one of the eight-hour deadlines falls at 3 a.m....After a couple of days of this he appears to be responding. His dotors tell him he will be on this routine until the infection goes away. Home care is starting today, so at least the schedule will be a little better. But it does mean that everything fall to me - cooking, cleaning, laundry, looking after TCS and the dogs, outside work...TCS is a little unhappy that I am not able to walk across town to beautiful Stewart Park with his class today - but I just can't be gone for four hours just yet.

Le sigh.

On a brighter note though, if I have to do everything, I set the priorities and the garden is getting number One! So today the back lawn will be cut, the stone paths between the veggie boxes will be weeded, what will go where will be planned, and plants will be ferried back and forth without haste. Everybody here feels badly that I am shouldering the load, but the upside is that I cancelled all appointments for the week and we are ensconced at home.

I did mange tp browse through some of the posts this morning. You all have such gorgeous gardens! And Saucy! I want a leaf cast! That is just beautiful. However, I do not want a gnome home in my yard....I also watched the mole/vole videos. A live trap (commonly known as a cat or a dog) works best. This year we had very little damage, but we also had Merlins which, although noisy, eat their weight in vermin every time you see them!

Hmmmm...haven't seen them yet this year....

And of course the babies! Kate and Peanut are both gorgeous little girls, I love the wink and the snooze!

Bug, I have done a bit on travel arrangements already - I'll e-mail you to let you know where I'm at. Crossing my fingers that DH's scary illness can be brought under control...

Cheers,

Julie

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

((Julie)) best wishes for a speedy recovery for your DH! (and DD...)

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Yikes, Julie - sounds like it's your "turn" w/ the family issues -- soo sorry re your DH; I hope the ventures for the treatments ensures that he responds quickly to a serious problem - at least you can feel DD is on the road to recovery and has someone looking out for her! I will hope things go really well for DH.

Nice to hear from you, Anita -- we look forward to hearing more about your gardens too!

Egads but it rained again here last nite - so we only had a short walk before it poured again. I've got so much stuff that is soggy or drowning - drought tolerant plants arent too happy doing the swamp thing. Neither am I. So no chance of pretty photos of the little bench before it gets cluttered up and Im sure I'll be cluttering it quickly as I did buy a few annuals on Saturday (I was pleasantly surprised to see the Big Orange had some items that were really cheapo and in good shape -- dichondra Silver Falls for one -- $2 a pot (that I've paid $5 for last year at my fav nursery - or one of the few places that usually stocks it)....Im trying to be good and just buy a few year or there this year as there seems little time for potting up (read dry weather!).

Chloe is so-so - they added another med that's so stupid - I have to give her an hour before she eats -- well, that doesnt work for a working person and she thinks Im betraying her by not letting her eat at the times she's used to - I am starting to wake up an hour early to give her so she wont be forlorn about not getting fed on time - but the evenings are more of a chore and Im not succeeding so well there... hopefully this will be a short-term med; ha - that's what they always say, right? Plus the med seems to make her feel not so good and it takes a few hours for her to perk back up....hoping that too will be short-term.

I think I too like Mae Surprise better than Peanut, LOL - glad things are going smoothly in the newborn direction, 'bug.

Wow, V- I did indeed recognize that place from the first shot -- they have the most wonderful combos - wish I were near them. That purple red/yellow is fantastic and I love the small bird basin. They were one of the first places too that I thought had the most creative accessories - refurbished and original -- I still think of the concrete pillows with fondness (saw them recently in a tv show)... Im glad you forced yourselves to stop! I'd be broke all the time if I lived near that nursery! That is a wonderful house -- Im sure in keeping with the town and times and it looks like it's been well maintained.

Well, gotta get to work - Im trying to finagle some days off around Memorial Day but the boss has other ideas and Im peeved -- he can take a week off for his spouse's birthday but I cant take 2 off (because they fall right when he returns); then I offered to take the 2 after the holiday - and he wants me to split them up so a routine chore gets taken care of -- sheesh -- that thwarts the whole concept of "extended weekend" -- sometimes, they just dont get it.... Then I kick myself because I didnt just march in and say "Im going away and need these days off" - but Im not a good liar... but I figure I'll take a longer time off at IU and that should annoy him sufficiently so maybe I better be "smart" about these other 2 days -- LOL -- the never ending psychological warfare of the awfice.... well, I'll just keep IU in my mind... it will be coming soon enuf!

-cindy

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Julie, hope today is going better and dh and dd are both on the mend.

Cindy, poor Chloe. I hate that they can't tell us how they're feeling. Healing thoughts for her! Also hoping for some nice dry weather for you to garden in.

Chelone, you're Peanut story reminded me of something I'd forgotten. We once, probably 20 years ago, found a little toy poodle in similar condition. It even had a broken chin that had healed so it sort of hung open in a weird sort of way. We named him Peanut because he was so small. No owner could be found so we took him to the vet, got him groomed and then after a couple of weeks he disappeared, never to be heard from again. I'd forgotten all about him.

Marie, Isn't Pikachu a video game character? Typical for a little boy to choose that for a nickname I think :)

It's an absolutely beautiful day here today. Sunny and warm, but not too warm. I've spent quite a bit of time just gazing upon the garden from a chair on the deck. Not much work done, but very relaxing. Bella's coming over later for the evening. Taco's for dinner.

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

I had a great time this past weekend with family. I took my parents to the MN Landscape Arboretum on Mothers Day. My mom really enjoyed it. My dad not as much ;o) He did enjoy the 3 mile drive that is lined with all the different tree collections, especially all the apple trees that are in bloom. We were able to get in on the second day of their plant sale and even though things were probably picked over I got some great plants and my mom did too.

The vegetable garden is nearly planted after spending last evening there.

Cindy, Ive been on those kinds of meds before that require all the clock watching and I agree with Chloe its not fun. Poor little puppy.

PM, lovely shot of the lunaria. I have the white variety but its not variegated. Mine has never reseeded that much.

V, Northwind Perennial Farm was a favorite of mine. The purple/yellow combo happens to the best of us.

Eden, it looks like little Kate has developed a sense of humor already.

bug, my solution to the one red tulip among the pale yellow ones is to cut it and enjoy it indoors. There is nothing sweeter than a sleeping babe.

Chelone, I was wondering who Bruce was and what he had done to be gassed LOL Im assuming that youve named the new stove (I dont use the term "range")

I know there is much more I could comment on but lately time seems so scarce you should see my disaster of a house LOL

Michelle

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Peanut was the name of the children's last hamster, so named because he was exactly the size and shape of a peanut when he was born. I'll be thinking of baby bugette as Mae Surprise too until her name reveals itself.

Hi Anita!! Nice to hear from you.

Marian - I bet thats a nice feeling to have all the mowing and pruning done.

Poor little Chloe - give her a hug from me.

Julie - what a tough time for all. Healing thoughts going your way.

V - what fond memories of IU3. Your photos also made me think of Ei and hope she will pop in sometime soon.

David had his first day at school with no crutch and he was fine. He has a very unusual gait and slow walk due to the drop foot but being independently mobile is thrilling for him. He and DH are golfing right now!

I have Clousseau's annual check up in 30 minutes. I love our vet but Clousseau is always so stressed (drooling, shaking, peeing etc.) the whole thing is something of an ordeal. At least he has lost some of his winter weight and is looking rather trim which will please our vet. Did I mention Clousseau also gets car sick - I think I should don some old clothes. I think DH got off very easy trading the vet visit for a round of golf:0(

Mary

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Sounds like I am lucky to have never had a pet named Peanut. ;)

Today has been a lovely day with sun. After lunch it got warm and the bugs came out, which was not so great. but I did get more weeding done. My friend Ann came and pruned my roses for me. Her husband John cleaned up many things and edged. They have a new puppy, Morgan, who gave Phoebe lots of exercise. They rolled in something. Pee UUUU!

I was able to get out and bought a zucchini plant (ONE, that's all!) and a tomato plant too. Also bought some coleus, salvia black & blue, and a hanging herb basket once again.

Dinner is now cooking in the oven for an hour, so I'll add a few photos to a separate thread. I hope your day was at least as good!

I do miss Cynthia and her menagerie...but her beautiful gardens as well.
    'bug

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Hi all. I can't remember at the moment what all I read.
    I do remember Cindy is getting to much rain and Julies DH and DD are having a rough time. Julie I do hope things get better soon.

Annie has turned sixteen.

Michelle has planted garden and Eden sat and enjoyed hers.

Lots more from everyone. I did read them all and nodded my head.

Dh helped me accomplish a couple of major landscaping projects. ( making steps on the back of the pond bank which will save me from weed eating those steep slopes. Plus it looks much nicer.) I have been wanting to get that done for years. The new tractor is earning its keep.

So thats what I've been doing. I did manage to take some flower photos. I'm going to try posting a link. Norma

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

How funny that Mary took Clouseau to the vet today - Sunrise and Mystic had their checkups today! Good reports for both, although Mystic has to lose 10 pounds. Little piggy dog!

DH was quite excited to tell me he had found a new patch of wild asparagus in our back field. I had to burst his bubble and tell him that it was a baptisia - glad he didn't eat it for lunch.

Julie, hope your DD and DH mend quickly. When my DS had his wisdom teeth removed, they were giving him the aftercare instructions and making a follow up appointment when he was still quite out of it.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Norma ! fabu-fabu photos where have you been hiding the camera lady ?? Your Irises are beautiful and so many wonderful combinations..and musical accompaniment on the slideshow no less ! I so hope you will continue to share the unfolding scenes in your garden . My nagging about pics of the pond is laid to rest, lol. We will need some high-summer pics though

Lots I would like to comment on but no time tonight, wave to all and will have more to say on the morrow.

Kathy in Napa

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Norma...I love your photos, especially number five. What a wonderful setting. I also enjoyed the music while perusing the photos. You made it even nicer to view them.

PM...love the shot of your honesty plant. It reseeds well for you. The white one is neat.

julie...how's DH and DD today? I've never heard of that treatment your DH is getting. Wow, every eight hours? How do you sleep? Take care of yourself, too.

v...That house your DGGGF built is neat, and how cool that you were able to locate it. I've been wanting to visit Northwind Perennial Nursery for a couple of years, but get sidetracked every spring. Thanks for mentioning it. I looked it up and it's only 53 miles from me, according to Ask.com.

chelone...Did I ever mention that your haircut suits you well? Your hair is thick, right? Bet it falls right into place with that cut. Did you decide what goodies you are going to try out on "Bruce" first? Hope it's not vole pie. LOL. You do have an endless supply of them it seems. Loved your peanut story.

cindy...how old is Chloe? She's a Maltese, right? We have one, too. A year old in April. Did Chloe ever suffer from patella problems?

Mary...that's great for David to have his first day without the crutches. Bet he was happy about that. Happy birthday to Annie.

I got the grass cut, but it was slow moving since the self propel part of it broke. Ugh. I never noticed how hilly my yard is. Other than that, no time for the garden, since Tuesday is DGS day. The ones I watch, (I have four total) on Tuesdays, one is in first grade, so I only have the four year old all day. But summer break is upon us. He's a breeze, and I'm trying to turn him into a little gardener. He seems to enjoy it. Enjoyed the seven year old's baseball game tonight...he got the game ball! Time to watch DWTS that I taped, so have a good night all.

Anita

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Norma, so many different beautiful iris!!! Is that you playing the guitar accompaniment? ;)

• chelone
    14 years ago

Wow Norma! what a nice treat for me to view over my egg this morning. I love the red peony, do you know the name of it? I've been wanting to add one for a few years now, but it's the purchase and planting that always falls by the wayside. I'm assuming the dogwoods are in the background, and the effect of the flowering trees and then the focus shifting to the perennials must be really exciting to watch. Beautiful! (was Rebel in one shot behind the flowers?).

No Vole on the menu last night, Anita (though I did "serve" one to Mum for a laugh one morning... she asked for a serrated knife, lol). Bruce was received with awe and wonder... I heard several low, very drawn out "wowwww s" coming from the galley and it took the helpmeet some time to figure out that the flame is adjusted so you may lower it to the lowest simmer without turning off the burner, lol. The grates that cover the range top completely were a hit, too... you can slide the pans anywhere you want, imagine that! As with any new purchase here in "Frontierland" everything adjacent to it looks really crappy. And so it is with resplendent Bruce's arrival. The helpmeet immediately began nattering about a range hood and new lighting... . All very positive, but my focus is now directed to the bathroom. :)

Anita, my hair is not particularly thick, but grows in adequate quantity to cover the top of my head. ;) And it grows fairly quickly, or maybe I just think it does because I like my hair short and looking neatly clipped. I put a little bit of some paste stuff on my hands and run them through it after a shampoo and that keeps it cooperative and out of my eyes for a couple of days. I don't shampoo daily and can refresh the 'do with wet hands and a comb. Quick, easy, and it works for me. "High maintenace" hair is definitely NOT my style.

I will have the painting/clearcoating finished today! yippee! I may just pick up the lags on the way home and see if I can't get the helpmeet to lay out one of the bases tonight. I'm really getting excited about having a good work area and I really want to see how much floorspace the 3 tables will take up. Right now the impact on the room is still sort of abstract for me.

I've managed to forget everything I wanted to comment on and now it's time for me to head on out to Chaos Gulch (I feel solidarity with Cindy). So I'm outta here until the afternoon. Beat a dog, beat the kids, and make sure to enjoy your gardens. Toodles!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good morning.....

Nothing new today either. I didn't even step foot in the garden yesterday. I'm hoping to get to the rock yard this morning and pick up the last of the rocks needed to finish the border. I did come up with a good start to a plan for what to do with it, yesterday. At least what is staying and what is going and what needs moving. It was supposed to rain yesterday and nada. That seems to happen here a lot for some reason. I may drag the hose out again today in places and may try to take a few more photos if it's not too cloudy or windy. Fascinating stuff. [g]

Norma....you are still ahead of me. My one Peony has tiny buds still. Gorgeous, Huge, Red Peony blossoms! Also no geraniums open. I don't know which is my favorite, the purple and white or the yellow and white iris. Very pretty! Your hostas/Pansies are also huge and my favorite colors of pansies too, burgundy & pale yellow. I think I spy Deutzia Nikko? Everything looks so healthy and that gorgeous woodland background! You have so much privacy. I also enjoyed the guitar accompaniment. Good thing someone mentioned it, I had my volume all the way down. [g]

Julie....How long before DH will be finished with his treatment? Do they have any idea how he got this blood infection, or is it something diabetics are prone to?

Anita....Another grandma helping with the grandchildren. You and Eden are in the same boat in that regard. So you are watching DWTS? DH and I watch that too. It has been a good season. I am a sucker for most any kind of dance. My favorite though, is SYTYCD which starts in the next couple of weeks.

I think the Honesty reseeds well for me, because the solid fence behind it keeps the seed from flying out of the yard and the post and rail fence to the West has frequent breezes coming through.

Hello Michelle... :-) Did you take any photos at the Arboretum? Sounded like a lovely way to spend a Mother's Day. LOL....your take on Bruce getting gassed.

Eden....Gazing from the deck? How did you manage that? :-) I am waiting for my garden to be worth gazing at in every direction. Until then, I don't seem to be able to sit and look around without seeing something that needs doing. [g] I don't imagine Bella will get to spend much time with Kate for awhile. I wonder has she had much to say about her new cousin?

Gardenbug....what do you do to bribe your friends into working in your garden? [g] What kind of puppy is Morgan? Thanks for reminding me, I need to start ONE zucchini plant too. How are you feeling? Did you pick up a bug?

I miss Cynthia and her grays, too. Does anyone keep in touch with her? And what happened to T, who I thought was going to start posting again?

Wonderful that David is getting back to normal, Mary! What a milestone to lose the crutch! Imagine how far he's come.

Cindy....Poor Chloe! I hope the new medicine is actually helping her. Hard to get medicine right when they can't tell you how they are doing.

Kathy....I missed your longer post last night. :-)

Woody....still working on the edging? When are the new plants scheduled to go in?

V....your DH sounds like he has plant identification skills about the same as my DH. [g]

Chelone....photo of Butterflies and Bruce? Maybe you will start a separate thread with all those photos in the camera?

Saucy....see link below for you.

Bye!
    :-)

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That was great, Norma! I really enjoyed the tour. I agree with everyone else that the musical accompaniment added to the enjoyment!

Julie, I hope your husband is on the mend soon - that sounds scary - and exhausting for the caregiver. Take care of yourself!

I'm in panic mode - too much to do and not enough time or energy. I keep telling myself that rest is important. Today I am installing the garden, and I am worried that there is more shade than I had anticipated. I may have to make a few substitutions. Another lesson learned.

I just unmolded a couple of hosta leaves and still need to color them. There is a base color in the cement mixture, and then I have to add a topical staining/color. Painting is hit or miss for me and I can ruin a leaf. I figure the more I practice the better. I don't want to end up with a garden of the ugly leaves, lol!

Well, that's all from me! I have fun checking in here in between sleep and plants. I hope this plant sale is a big hit so that there are no plants to bring back to my neighbor's. I never get tired of plant shopping, though, and I have accumulated quite the hoard this year!

Have a great day, Idylls!

Saucy

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Fabulous tour Norma!! I love the musical accompaniment:0) Lovely to see thing in full blossom while we are at the mere bud stage.

Clousseau's check up did not go as hoped. The weight loss I was pleased with is actually of great concern to the vet - he dropped 15% of his body weight - far more than can be accounted for by reducing treats (his regular deit has remained constant). Combined with a mass in his stomach or spleen there are a lot of questions. Clousseau seems fit as a horse but a tumor might not affect his general health at this stage. The vet is running tests and we will talk Thursday. Maybe 2009 just isn't going to be such a good year for us. But until bad news is delivered I'm trying to remain positive.

Mary

14 years ago

Norma! Great pictures! Your garden is WAY ahead of here if your peonies are in bloom! Mine still haven't spread their leaves yet let alone have any flowerbuds to show!

Mary - Happy birthday to Annie. It's great that David is operating under his own steam again - kids heal fast! (although I'm sure it feels like it's been an enternity...)

Cindy - poor Chloe - I hope she gets well soon.

Zoe, the young Rottweiler in the neighbourhood, has hip displasia and is now not putting weight on one back leg. She's still bouncing around fairly happily though and just about mowed me down yesterday in her efforts to get at the cookies in the walker basket! (Her supply at home ran out so she was cookie-deprived... I restocked her home supply last night.)

PM - I have about 2 more days work to get the line of bricks finished on the road side of the bed. When they're done, I'll take a picture. Hopefully next week I'll be able to finish the other side. I'm anxious to get it all done and planted!

Chelone - where are the work-in-progress pictures of the tables?!

Hi Anita!

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Well, burst my bubble - I cant see Norma's show at the awfice - that's just plain awful!! I too tired and lazy (& paying attention to the furry baby) at nite to check in here -- gonna have to mend that bad habit. I was all set for a great lift to see your show, Norma, as so far my irises look wan and clems that were full of buds have drooped and are mildewed -- too much rain here -- I had a wonderful 5 blooms on a new Omoshiro (enabled by 'bug) that was gorgeous and the vine is now almost non-existent... pifle... well, I'll have to catch the Norma's show before Lost tonite.

Mary -- I'm crossing the fingers for Clousseau -- sheesh, this seems to be another idyll contagion -- I'd much rather my range/oven, etc., die than the sickies with our pets... I will hope it is okay news such as something benign. Im glad to hear David is really on the mend and Im sure you both feel like there is sun and normality for him at the end of the recovery road.

Anita -- Chloe luckily never had patella problems (but I bought her from a breeder after much research because my first maltese had all sorts of ills all her life, including the patella issues) Frosty (the first maltese of our household) had the knee operations done one at a time on both of her knees eventually - we used to call her the million dollar doggie - as we all know, all kinds of speciality operations, etc., these days are enormously expensive - even for pets... But Frosty did survive and thrive even for a petstore dog (despite me knowing better than to buy one) -- the first knee issue & op was about when she was a little more than 3 as I recall. Then the other happened about 2 years later. Luxating patellas is enormously common in small dogs; just as hip dysplasia is in larger ones I think...

Saucy - Im comforted to hear you feel some panic and stress too -- Im feeling it too and I dont have near the garden chores you do -- but somehow I guess it will all get done - or not -- and we'll still survive, right? Right now I think I've developed an entire garden devoted to violets -- they're taking over like mulch; it's bizarre...

Well, have to try to earn the pay today. Awfice chaos here I come (thanx, Chelone -- feeling the power - we shall overcome or at least prevail!!)

Eden -- I'll try to get some photos this weekend of the bench; it's the usual - and small -- but I've got a gorgeous geranium Lily Lovell putting on a show at least that is the most gorgeous shade of purple Im now in love with, so I hope to share pics of it.

--Cindy

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Norma, your gardens are just beautiful and I'm enjoying seeing more of them this season. I love all of your iris especially. And that pond is really something!

Mary, oh no, not another Idyll pup in distress. Good thoughts for Clouseau! I'm so happy to hear, on the other hand, that David's doing so well!

PM, Bella has taken having Kate around in stride. She thinks Magglio is much more fun! She sees her quite often as they only live a few minutes apart. Jen and Meg are spending the day together today. Taking the girls to the park, lunch and then back to Jen's for some gardening while the girls are napping.

I dropped in on Jen and Randy for a bit last evening and got to spend some time snuggling Kate. "Sweet" is the best word I can think of to describe her.

Seems all Idylls are busy, busy with gardening chores being squeezed in whenever possible. Same here, I'm off to do some house stuff so I can get outside and enjoy the day. Thunderstorms forecast for later this evening...

Eden

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Norma, your gardens are beautiful. Either you have very good soil, or you add good fertilizer. I am thinking you have good drainage also.
    The slideshow is a great idea.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Hi all, Im working like a demon and have been zonking out by 8:30PM or so every night. Ive gotten about forty or so containers planted and all that hauling around of large pots and dirt is taking its toll. Im pooped! LOL

Lots going on here and Ive just been able to skim and look at the pretty pics. Everyones gardens are looking so beautiful.

Wow Norma, gorgeous pics of your spring gardens. You are about two weeks ahead of u s here. If peonies would perform like that for me Id grow them here. Yours are fabulous!

Mary I empathize with you over your vet trip. My Rahjii sings the whole entire time and it so sets my nerves on edge I refuse to drive him anymore. Doug has to drive when we take the kitties in. Sorry to hear you have concerns over Clousseaus health. ~~ Cant believe Annie is 16! Goodness, time goes by so fast.

V. lol over the asparagus. Ill bet it wouldnt have tasted too good!

OK Im out of time. Must run to HD to pick up a few annuals I dont have here. Ive got to run over to my Moms later and plant a window box for her for her Mothers day present.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

40 containers, Deanne, and it's only May 13?!! -- Intervention, Intervention!!!!!

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Norma, what a wonderful slideshow! I don't believe I've ever seen so much of your garden. The trees are fabulous and make such a wonderful backdrop. Gorgeous irises too. I make a picture DVD each year of my garden pictures and always use instrumental music and I just think it adds so much.

Mary, sorry to hear that there are concerns about Clousseau. Hopefully its not serious. Wonderful news for David though.

PM, I didnt take many pictures since Ive been there several times and since my parents were along. If I think of it Ill put some up.

Deanne, Im not sure if anyone answered your question about verbena bonariensis seedlings, but they do come up late. They are long ovals with serrated edges. My mothers day gift to my mom every year is a bouquet of tulips and planting two large containers for her.

Last night was extremely windy and overcast, not the best night to be outside so I swam and then did some needed shopping. I bought tomato, eggplant and pepper plants. Somehow a couple of clematis jumped in the box. Clematis Willy and clematis Jan Lindmark.

I got such a kick out of my 7 year old niece this weekend. We drove to a restaurant and she wanted to ride in my car. As we passed one of the neighbors house she commented "shes really into spring" This lady has a nice front garden with tulips and bleeding hearts. When we got back to their house she said "Id like our whole front yard to be a garden" Another budding gardener LOL

Later

Michelle

• flowerluvr
    14 years ago

Farmer fly-by! We had a rain delay today. That gets me out of the tractor..and off to the grocery store, odds and ends of town errands, and of course, laundry. The rain came just in time-I'm wearing my last pair of clean socks!
    Just skimming through, but had to comment on precious babies, and Norma, the slideshow was wonderful! All of my iris and peonies are still in bud, so you quenched my thirst for some actual blooms.
    Eden, that picture of Kate made me laugh right out loud..how adorable!

Bug, hang in there...baby Mae Surprise Peanut will get her name. When DD was born, none of the names we liked "fit" her, so it took a couple of days. She turned out to be a Christina. She's never been a Chris, a Tina or a Christie..always Christina. Tho, I have a niece who couldn't say that when she was little, so she called her Teenie, and that has stuck with most of the family.

I have to confess, I was skimming along, and my eyelids were getting heavy. Lol, no reflection on the Idylls, I've been running on very little sleep. Anyway, I came to the snuggly sleepy pic of the little buglette, and that was it! Put my head down on the desk and did a 10 minute power-nap. Time to get my fanny up and get some more laundry processed. We're clipping right along with the crops, so hope to see more of you all soon!
    Take care,
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Yes indeed, verbena bonariensis is one of the latest plants I've ever known to emerge. I'd think it would be a hard one for Deanne to wait for as she'd be so eager to plant something in the space before they came up. ;)

Michelle, Willy and Jan Lindmark are both really lovely clematis. The problem, for me is that I must cage them each winter so that the rabbits don't demolish them. They bloom on old wood. I love growing eggplant. Their flowers are so sweet too! They need a long hot season so I cross my fingers every year! Sometimes I'm lucky!

Deanne, yesterday I saw a beautiful window box of herbs mixed with flowers. That's an idea for another year's Mother's Day gift. They contained pink flowering strawberries and violas as well as sage, thyme, etc.

Eden, you are so lucky to be in driving distance of your kids! I'm jealous.

PM, my gardening friends can be bribed with plants, money, groceries,...almost anything. But I am not the only one so must stand in line at times. DH wrote up a contract for them years ago that said they could not smoke or bring us more pets when they visit. LOL. Morgan is a mixed breed, Australian Shepherd and Blue Heeler I believe. A well behaved and very cute dog. He already stays out of garden beds.

Mary, I'm so happy for David! Let's hope good things for Clousseau. Hope the vet has a "clue" soon!

I imagine Chelone has made it home by now to unwind from the chaos, and hope that Saucy is pleased with her goods for the sale this weekend!

That's all she wrote for now!
    'bug

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Hi all, I've been run in by a rainstorm. I did manage to get a few things finished, but as you know theres always more. LOL

Thanks for all the comments on the slideshow. It's kinda of nice to see things all put together instead of individually while walating. I like being able to look at them again once they are gone by too.
    I had to stake some of the tall iris because of the winds we are having. I brought one bouquet in from a large stand that I couldn't get all staked. They are a lot of bother ,but worth it I think.

Chelone, The peony by the house is Karl Rosenfeld , and the one in the garden is Buckeye Belle (my favorite although it doesn't last long.) I think what you thought might be Rebel in the background was probably my tiller. Good thing it was a shallow depth of field. Sometimes that is what stops me from posting pictures. I always have stuff lying or sitting around. I am trying to be better about picking up.

Mary, It's good to hear David is freestanding again. Not so good to hear about Closeau. It's probaly a good thing all of our gardens have a good show at different times, so we get to see more pictures.

V, I love that old house. How neat that a relative lived there and founded the town.

PM, my Bowl of Beauty Peony is blooming today. It is a single pink one. I think things may be blooming a little earlier this year because we had more sun early on before the trees leafed out.
    Your rock border is looking good, I hope you found enough rocks to finish it.

Kathy, I didn't include much of the pond because the water is kind of scummy right now from all the tree pollen flying around. My hostas are catching the brown stringy things from the oak trees too.

Anita, how nice to have you posting again. I was wondering if you were still watching the boys. Our Wyatt has kindergarten graduation tomorrow night. Hope to see pictures of your gardens sometime too.

Bug, I wish I could play the guitar that well. LOL

Woody, I imagine the rottwieler could easily knock you over unintentionaly.

Cindy my clematis vines are starting to look bad too. It's just so disapointing sometimes.

Eden, tiny babies are so fun to cuddle, enjoy it while you can.

Marian, my soil is not great, but I have been working on it a long time. The drainage is good because I am on a slope and most of the beds are built up.

Deanne, good to hear from you. The peonys are having a good year. Most years they just get beat down by rain or something.

Michelle, I always try to get the house or shopping done when it rains so I won't miss my outdoor time when it's nice out. Yup, I think your niece is a budding gardener.

Well, the rain didn't last long and theres a break in the clouds, so I think I will go back out for a while. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good evening Idylls, nice to have arrived at the down side of the work week. Its windy tonight so I cut the WALAT short till the sun sinks a bit, at which point the wind usually abates. Stepping up the watering is on the horizon. I am making strategic plans for some garden visits, there are Garden Consevancy open gardens in Marin County this weekend and I might just go visit a couple- like many of you the interior housework seems to have gone to hell in a handbasket and if I spend the day in Marin the only thing that will get done this weekend is gardening. I expect to make a last minute decision on the issue, depending on how many plants I score at the garden center tomorrow.

PM, thanks for the link, I have plans to visit Annies , but will probably not do so till the 1st week of June, or possibly the upcoming holiday weekend. If I plan the time of day well I miss the Bay Bridge traffic jam and can get to Annies in about 40 minutes. I have a morning sun only area that I think the Lunaria would be great for .

Julie transferring some good vibes up your way, and hope your DH is quickly on the mend. Is there a theory as to how he contacted this malady ? It does indeed sound scary.

Cindy, I can sure relate to the bog issues you are having. Weve had some horrible spring rainy seasons (which include flood evacuations and sandbags) but we certainly have nothing close to that this year. Those are the years that I will typically lose Dahlias and Lilies to rot from all the standing water. I hope things dry out for you soon ! I know you will provide us with the potting bench pic even if clutter ensues-I promise to post an offsetting pic of mine in similar condition.

Well Mary, not liking to add your name to the pet-woes roster ! I guess the positive note is that he is feeling fine ? Fingers crossed for good news for you..

Woody, isnt it fun to be on the side of a garden project that involves planting ? This always infers that the worst of the manual labor is done.

Saucy, sounds like its time for a facial and a pedicure for you ,my friend. There are always things in our lives that can go on the back burner . Im jealous of all the Idylls that will be traveling to IU in cars that will have space in the trunks for leaf castings .. Maybe you need to set up a booth at the compound ! What a bunch of sitting-duck customers we would be !

Deanne, I concur with Cindys comments- I havent counted how many containers I planted so far this year, but dont think its near 40 ! We await the pics ..

OK the wind is gone so Im off to WALAT

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I do believe Deanne's 40 containers (so far) constitute extreme gardening. Probably time to ask her to stuff 2 of mine as window dressing for IUVI, huh? I can see you now, smiling, fussing, and artfully arranging your wintered over bounty. Makes me smile. :)

Here's hopin' the weather will be perfect for the Mistress of the Swarm's entree into the world of 3D art. I'm confident you will come home with full pockets and an empty truck. I can't find the Idyll group you helped me set up, Saucy, so I'm going to require some assistance with e-mails in the near future. I'm thinking it must've gotten lost in the transfer to the new computer? dunno, don't care, just know it has to be rectified.

I tride to get shots of "Butterflies" yesterday, but the camera battery was dead. Ditto shots fo the table bases under construction.

Norma, I've looked at Karl Rosenfeld a number of times. I like the nice, tall peonies particularly well and the red of that one is especially nice. All the peony talk reminds me that I still have 2 left to get staked because, as you pointed out, downpours and windswept rain usually coincides with their flowers. ;)

I don't like reading about ailing pets, even though they're only dogs. I've read with interest the comments on patella abnormalities in small dogs, I know rather a lot about ACL injuries in large dogs now. ;) Woody, I work so hard with Rex to make sure he won't trample people. I'm not sure which I loathe more, being accosted by an OOC large model or having an OOC small one bouncing around my feet, jumping and pawing at the area up to mid-thigh. Either way, I don't like it and work like hell to make sure my own fleabag doesn't do it.

Bruce makes excellent pizza.

Thrilling news on David's recovery, Mary. You must be so relieved and he must be thrilled with summer and its attendant activities just around the corner. I'm certain that his musical training has long since taught him the benefit of working and practicing through the tough times when progress seems incremental. So it is with physical therapy, too. Can't wait to hear more about your flock, too.

I hustled out of the shop yesterday and picked up the requisite lags for the table bases on my way home. I ordered the melamine for the tops, too. I finished up the last bit of painting and when everything was dry schlepped the pcs. back up to the Salon and had everything ready for the assembly. Helpmeet was tuckered out but bless his heart we put one together last night true to his promise. It rolls like a dream, smoothly and EASILY. I think this is going to be a winner, you guys. Today I have to get the plugs to cover the 5/8ths. Forstner bit holes and I think it will require a trip to a woodworking place. It's my hope we'll be able to get another base put together tonight, though I'll use my judgement with respect to level of spousal exhaustion. It was great to flee chaos and return to an organized and fulfilling project. I even cleaned up the garage bay that had been the painting station when I was finished!

'bug, my co-worker brought in amazing shots of a huge snapping turtle yesterday. She and her BF are really into fishing and they see the turtle all the time. (S)He's beautiful, we've wondered how long it's been watching spring arrive.

I need to do what Brenda did yesterday, as I'm wearing the last pair of clean underpants today. I do not relish the prospect of turning them inside out to avoid laundry still further... on that humorous note I'll bid you fond farewell until my release from the dysfunctional workshop.

Ta ta!

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathy, I was wondering if I could fit a pedi in on my way home from my doctor's appointment this morning - I think every person selling leaf castings should be sporting freshly painted blue toenails - it helps the customer remember who you are :)

Just poking my head in quick this morning and wanted to send my best wishes for Clousseau. Fingers crossed for the best possible outcome.

Better get moving....I have invoicing to do this morning (the new person doesn't start until next week).

Have a great day, all!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

So windy, wet and dark out! Not sleeping well, so I get to say good mornin' to Chelone!

Anyway, I took this photo of the Amelanchier yesterday, before the weather removed the blossoms. Or so i imagine as it is still too dark out to tell.

Later,
    'bug
    {{gwi:157080}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

What a lovely night for sleeping last night. Ahhhh! Winter seems a long way off, and air conditioners aren't in yet. It was sunny off and on yesterday and no rain again so sprinkler duty today. I managed to drag home rocks yesterday and when DH came home from work, we made an attempt to finish off the rock edging. I can't seem to make myself happy with this last five foot run and of course it is the most visible and walked by section of the border. After an hour of playing with it, I was cranky enough to quit for the day. Maybe a good night's sleep will make a difference.

My poor pathetic pot of peas....lol. It really was more for decoration and I have a lot of pansies stuffed in there. It looks crooked in the photo but it's really straight. Next year I'll have to get serious. :-)

{{gwi:157083}}

Not a very good photo. I find I am not taking very good photos lately. I have had a full memory card w/o a back up for a couple of weeks and DH brought home a 2MB 2 pack last night. :-)

Gee, all these early risers this morning. Sorry you are not sleeping Gardenbug. Are you feeling well? Lovely photo of your Amelanchier tree. It always amazes me how quickly the blossoms fall. Mine was so eaten by winter moth caterpillars last year I didn't get a crop of berries, but this year, it looks like it is full.

Gardenbug....I am jealous of Eden and V. having kids close by, too. I do have two nearby, but I miss our DS who lives away. It isn't that long a drive, about 4 hours, but he works weekends which makes it very hard for us to plan visits around. ..... Where did you find so many gardening friends? I hardly know anyone that gardens in 'real life'. [g]

Brenda....nice to see you! Hope you will get a break to come have a good long visit soon. And get some sleep too. [g]

Chelone....exciting stuff! Pizza in the new oven and tables nearing completion! You are having a very productive 2009 so far. :-)

Kathy....you are having a very concentrated gardening season this year. Between all your plantings and garden trips, you must be very satisfied. Seems different than last year, when you were in 'house selling limbo'.

Deanne...I don't know how you do it. I only have about 8 large and 4 small containers to fill and I am not looking forward to it. It feels like too many....lol.

Michelle....what fun to have a niece that is interested in gardening. She must love your garden. How is Kenzie these days? I bet you are missing her like crazy with gardening season starting. ..... Where are you going to put all your Clematis?

Eden....Well, that is not surprising that Kate is no fun yet for Bella. That will change soon enough. It is wonderful that they live so close to each other and can spend quality time together. Lots of changes for your family the last few years. Did you say whether you will be helping Jen with Kate at some point?

Pet woes I'm very sorry to hear. Poor Chloe and now Clousseau?!

Saucy....I hope you can find the energy for the week you are having. Maybe a lot of coffee will help? Or chocolate. :-) Next week will be better.

That's it for me this morning. Enjoy this 'winter free' day! :-) pm2

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

Something fun is happening in June - Crosby, Stills and Nash are playing nearby at the Fingers Lakes and we all have tickets. DH is friends with one of the band and we will probably have a chance to meet them. It will be a late night for the school week but sometimes when an opportunity presents itself you just have to grab it (I'm humming Teach your Children as I write). Fortunately Annie and David's finals are not till the following week and they are as excited as me.

The little chicken flock continues to thrive though egg production has dropped as Red Betty is molting. She'll resume laying when her new feathers are in. Everyone is intrigued by their personalities and friendliness. The bigger chickens love pecking cracked corn from your hand and the little chicks jump out of their cage onto you. It is unbelievable how quickly the peeps have gone from fluff balls to mini chickens. They are still inside under a heat light but if we ever get warm weather we'll start giving them time outside. Baby quails are due to hatch in the next few days and I will pick up day old chicks from the farmer. As much as I'm looking forward to a steady supply of hens eggs, the tiny quail eggs we used to buy in England will be such a treat too. They are just so much fun - I guess I love anything miniature:0)

Thanks for all your good wishes for Clousseau - I have my fingers crossed that perhaps today's news from the vet will not be so bleak after all. But it really, really helps to know I have so many understanding friends here.

Love the Amelanchier GB!

PM your pea pot (that sounds wrong doesn't it?) is at about the same stage as my big pot of sweet peas. I used prunings from our white birch to make the trellis which I hope will look lovely covered in bloom.

Deanne - as ever I'm impressed by your industry. Isn't it a fun time of year?

Saucy - I was thinking fo making deep mauve my toe nail color this year. We'll compare at IU6. Good luck at the sale.

Oops - time to run. Have a good day everyone

Mary

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

I am sneaking a quick post -- I got to enjoy Norma's lovely show of her spring gardens last nite w/ the lovely music - it was like watching a terrific garden show on tv! Norma, I love how you've designed the swales/berms of the beds (whether devised or happenstance), and your combinations of plants is simply gorgeous. I suspect this is as good as I'll get to see peonies and irises this year - mine dont seem to be looking too happy or too full of buds; they're almost open and it's raining more -- and showers/t-storms for the next 4 days... some springs are just a wash out, as Kathy says.

I note on the front of my local paper today (in the Home section) a story I have yet to read but it says "HOT CHICKS -- legal or not, chickens are the chic new backyard addition...." Mary is right in the trendy backyard biz!

Im hoping for great biz for Saucy's venture this weekend -- and I'd love to custom order something to bring back in my u-haul (er, car) at IU time.... but I suspect she's going to be taking lots of orders at her booth and be swamped.....

'bug I love that amelanchier shot - I especially love its placement next to that gorgeous chamaecyparis nootkatensis (Im guessing)... They are both a majestic combo. Guess you're getting lots of rain too, uh?

Well, have to get serious here....

-cindy

• jak1
    14 years ago

Good morning Idllys!

Just dropped in to let you know that I will MIA for a while.

DD is recovering well now, but DH's condition is quite serious.

He has had 6 IV antibiotic infusions at the hospital and two at home, but did not respond well. We spent all day yesterday at the hospital again and his bloodwork, heart and lung tests were all found to be fine. His antibiotic has been stepped up and is infused now at home 24/7 with a pump, and is supplemented with a strong antibiotic by mouth. A nurse was in last night at about 9 p.m. and will be back today at 1 p.m. and every day after to monitor the pump and to report on his progress. I am, as DD says, "keeping the home fries burning", and brewing up cups of green tea several times a day as that has been shown to increase the effectiveness of antibiotic therapy. I read that in Good Housekeeping, how lame is that?

Anyhow, he is quite terrifed as he has never been terribly sick in his life, and this is every diabetic's nightmare. I am hanging in there, and this mornig we both feel there has been some improvement.

I may drop in to read now and then, but may not get to post. And time in the garden? Forget it!

Cheers,

Julie

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

HUGS Julie!!!!

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Oh, dear Julie! My prayers are for your DH, and for you.

Marie, I hope your Amelanchier still has it's blossoms this morning.
    We had a brief, but strong, storm go through about midnight. No damage, but I was up monitoring it on TV, and through the front and back door windows.

Pm2, your pea structure reminds me of what I built 2 or 3 years ago to grow Moonvines on.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Julie and DH... ((((Hugs)))) Take care of both of you. Good thoughts being sent your way.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

HI all
    Kathy, housekeeping can wait, gardens wait for no one! Garden touring in Marin County sounds like a good plan to me.

Cindy the count this morning is 58 containers, 28 of which are combination pots. The singles are things like the brugmansias, fuchsias, cannas and the big banana that had to get lugged in and out of the basement and repotted. What do you mean intervention?

Michelle, thanks for the info on Verbena B. I think I have a whole patch of it growing in the edging strip in front of the terrace border. Ill have to transplant them. ~~ Your neice sounds like a gem.

Bug, you are so correct. I bought a couple flats of the verbena at Walker farm last weekend and now that Ive found some seedlings Im going to have to find a spot for them too! LOL

Chelone, toooooo funny "extreme gardening". I really love to plant combos so if youd like me to do a couple for you just bring them on down to NH.

PM, love the peas pot. 12 containers doesnt seem like so many! LOL

Julie, so sorry about your DH Hopefully the treatment will work and hell be well soon.

Mary, yes indeed, I do just love this time of the year! Im having way too much fun ~~ Glad to hear your chickens are doing well and you and family are enjoying them.

Bug your Amelanchier is just lovely!

OK got to run. I need some torenia and have to go on another scouting mission.

Deanne

14 years ago

(((Julie and her DH)))

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Julie....so sorry to hear DH's struggling with this infection. I hope they can get it under control soon.