Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

Idyll #264 A Beautiful Day in May

deanneart
17 years ago

Ok all let's keep the beautiful spring pics rolling here....

Good morning all,

It is going to be a gorgeous day today! The weather people are saying it is going to top 72 or so today with pristine blue skies and a light breeze. Wohoo! I cant wait to get my gym duty done today. IÂve got a couple things to do with some customer correspondence this morning then it is out to the gardens for me. I might just try to get to The Mixed Border today too. IÂm thinking IÂm going to pick another ÂArabellaÂ. (DonÂt ask, I donÂt quite know where IÂm going to put it. LOL)

So all the poking, prodding, echoing and wiring up is over and done with. The echocardiogram technician turned to me with a twinkle in her eyes when she was finished and said she would lose any sleep even though she canÂt give you any information about the test. Te he I was also fitted with one of those gizmos that monitor your heart rate and I have to have that with me for a month. It doesnÂt record for a month you just use it if you have an arrhythmia.

Then I saw the nutritionist and she actually had some insights the doctors didnÂt have and I learned a few things from her. The most important of which is that she feels that my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is extremely low from the many years I was obese  that is the amount of calories you need if you just sat and did nothing for an entire day. So all the numbers you find on how many calories you can eat in a day are simply not accurate for me. The trainer and dietitian at the gym computed my BMR somewhere around 1,400 calories per day and the person I spoke with yesterday thought it was probably only around 800 or it might be even lower. Yep she said it stinks but that is just the way it is. So regardless of all the exercise I do I still only need 1,800 calories per day, or less, depending on how much I exercise, to maintain my weight. Not the 2,500 to 2,800 calories per day all the charts give me. I have to exercise for every additional calorie I consume. She felt that if I broke up my cardio and did a half hour in the morning and a half hour after dinner I might be able to get that BMR up a little more. She also had a few ideas on how to modify my diet. Basically, she was pretty impressed with our diet here and we couldnÂt eat more healthfully. She just had a few ideas on changing out my lunches. She also said that she doesnÂt think IÂll ever be able to get off any more than an additional ten pounds and it will be a constant struggle to keep it off. Apparently this old bod is where it wants to be. IÂve sort of figured out that was the case but IÂm a bit stubborn in case you guys didnÂt notice. I had to hear that from three different health care professionals before it started sinking in. Sooooo ennyhow, IÂm now going to have to learn how to be happy in this particular Âpackage because it wonÂt get modified by any more weight loss.

On a positive note, my Rosy Dawn coleus order came yesterday and holy cow!!! Are those plants ever gorgeous. I already have them all potted up and there are a few in there that might just become my very favorite coleus of all time. IÂll have to see how they perform in the containers this summer. I canÂt recommend that place high enough. Every one of those plants exceeded my expectations.

Marian, it sounds like you are into early summer with your iris and peonies in bloom. Would love to see some pics if you have the time.

Sue thanks for that ID on the ÂGeorgia BlueÂ. BTW be very thankful for your top notch metabolism. I was thinking of you yesterday when I was speaking to the nutritionist.

Michelle, thatÂs great that your dahlias and cannas are all potted up. IÂve got to do mine and might just get to that today or tomorrow. ~~ My ÂSutherland Gold is also in full sun. I do keep it well watered though.

Eileen, ROTFLOL, you so have me pegged! I was feeling silly at the nursery. The whole concept of flying a bunch of trees home was pretty funny. I agree with you about Dicentra ÂGold HeartÂ. IÂm planning on trying to find that plant soon. It truly is gorgeous. I need to find a spot for it here.

T, holy cow about those bees!!!! Incredible, I hope you didnÂt risk getting stung getting those photographs. I canÂt believe your DH is allergic and doesnÂt carry an epi pen. That really is pretty dangerous. Doug is very faithful about having one with him at all times any time the weather is warm enough for bees. After that incident with the broken leg etc. he just wonÂt risk another episode. The docs said if there is a next time his throat could swell shut and that is pretty scary to contemplate. BTW what is that huge rose bush the bees are in? It sure looks like a happy camper.

Cindy, so just photograph all of it! LOL Sounds like you need some rain there too. We actually got an inch of rain out of the last two days and IÂm happy things are looking so much better today.

Mary, how did your lunch date go? I hope you had a lovely time.

Eden, I canÂt recall if you got your Rosy Dawn order yet or not. Can you even believe the size of the plants?

OK off to the gym and then the gardens, Have a great day

Deanne

Comments (102)

• deanneart
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good evening all,

Oh well, it was not a so beautiful day in May here today. Rainy, windy and the temps never got over 55 or so. Brrr that raw kind of cold rain and wind that goes right through you. I did get a chance to get over to the Lake Street Garden Center in Salem, NH. They had a great selection of plants and I was so pleased to see they had the Ajuga Black Scallop Ive been looking for,. They were really large and beautiful plants so Im a happy camper. I also found some Lysimachia Golden Alexander. Nice plant! I really love the regular Alexander so Im guessing this chartreuse variety is going to be a pleaser.

I put together my second summer container for the season and am pretty happy with this one too. It should get pretty large by the end of the summer.
    {{gwi:157174}}

This is a closeup showing the Fireworks coleus from the Rosy Dawn order in the middle of the container.
    {{gwi:157175}}

Marian, too strange about the virus you caught. Believe it or not, that is exactly what happened to me a couple months ago when I passed out on the tile floor in the bathroom. Youre lucky you didnt hurt yourself. Hope you feel better soon.

Taryn, so sorry about Bruce, Even though you knew there was no good resolution to this it never makes it any easier.

T, so sorry about your poor goat! I cant imagine that Bo would have bothered her tail but stranger things have happened. Love the photos of the close ups of the other goat faces. They are pretty cute.

Honey, what a bummer about locking yourself out of your car. I cant imagine you doing that ever!!! How great you and Eden got to go out plant shopping though. What fun! Im going to have to go to the plantaholic along with you. My driveway looks like I could open for business right now. Way too many plants and, was I reasonable today??? Nope, I bought more

Eden, what a scary thing with the chunk of asphalt hitting your car. Thank heavens you are OK. ~~ Im so jealous you have your dahlias and cannas potted up. I still have to do mine and Id better get to it really soon.

Michelle, how great you are going to have so much asparagus. You are going to have lots of it when those plants mature.

HI Mary, nope, the leak still isnt fixed. Ive got to get some pond lining material to put under the rock before we try to get the water running again.

OK Im going to get off this computer for the evening. Have a good nite all
    Deanne

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I have been missing in action, but am going to attempt to make a quick post.

T- you are too funny with the smashing fingers! I got a great visual from that, and sorry, but a chuckle too!

Taryn- my thoughts and prayers are with Bruce and his family. So sorry that they are having such a struggle.

Deanne- thanks so much for the great photos. It gives me hope for my future garden:)

Honey, I think you should just get out your planning cut outs from your class. I think you just know too much about gardening to be able to give up the planning to any one other than the idylls. Too fun that you and Eden werer able to plant shop together. Get this, you know how everything seems to happen in groups here? I locked my keys in the car Saturday at the Farm Market. Luckily the neighborhood police were happy to help me break in to my car:) Skip was in Cleveland and I was picking up food for the shower, I was talking on the cell phone, trying to do too many things at once.

Michelle, great photos! You have so many nice combos.

Marian, sorry you were sick, hope you are all better now!

Cindy, it sounds like you have some great things going on in your garden. YOu are coming to the idyllunion, right? I will look forward to seeing you!

Ei, thank you so much for the tunes, and the photo of the leaf bird bath. That is so cool! I missed your pics of Arizona, but loved the narrative.

Eden, Bella has the coolest play space! She is a lucky girl.

Sue, you are going to love the hot tub! That stinks about the locals chopping up the front....

V, sounds like you are getting it all together! A lot of work, but it will be worth it.

Bug, great veggie garden.. I have been thinking about potager, but there is no way this year. I have way too muchgoing on just with getting the compost down, figuring out who is crowding who, and I am going to try to get some much, and get rid of this horrible garlic mustard that is attacking me. This may be a strange year in the garden. I usually just kkeep buying, but I think I might try to straighten it out this year and figure out where everything really should go.

Well, I had the bridal shower Sunday. Fun was had by all. I will try to get some pics posted. It has been an absolutely gorgeous spring here. Jenny bought me a gorgeous rose for Mother's day, and couldn't wait to give it to me. I found her a Blue Boy hosta because she likes mine so well, then I came across a Blue Angel, I think I will get that one for her too. I picked up a couple of nice coleus, and put together a couple of combo planters. Someone at work said... Oh.. you do the artsy ones.. I had to laugh, because I look at them so differently since we had the "show your combo" last year, and never thought of myself as an artsy planter type.... Thanks to you guys! I am probably losing my job in two weeks. The university is 41M in the hole, it is all over the media..... so I am trying to build up my real estate, and figuring that this is way bigger than me, I just need to trust and hang in there. I think I am getting better at that, but you know what? During the shower Sunday, I couldn't help but wish that you all lived closer.... DH said no matter what, he wants me to go to Idyllunion. The other good news is that every morning when I go down to Starbucks, they have coffee grounds waiting for me. I love that.

Okay, enough from me...Hope you all have a great week, and know that I am thinking about you!

Drema

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Mary... I forgot to say, it looked like you guys had a blast when you got together...kids looked so happy...guys looked like they had fun, and Sue's green thumb must have really spread:) Hope it's contagious...

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Sorry, that was a typo about the financial situation. I am not sure what the $ amt is, but they have to cut a number of positions, and since I was just hired I am probably one of them.

• just_t
    17 years ago

The day is almost over. Sun is setting behind the hillside and the temperature is dropping quickly. I got a lot accomplished outside today and will hit it hard again tomorrow as it is suppose to be another nice (dry) day. Possible rain showers forecast for Thursday and Friday so I'd like to get all the soil done tomorrow.

Deanne, the containers look great. Thanks for giving the names of the plants you used.

Drema, you sound so very busy! I'm sorry about the job loss that is looming. Perhaps it won't happen...or perhaps the real estate market will keep you so busy that you will wonder how in the world you could have ever kept working at anything else. I hope everything works out so that you'll be happy each day.

Ei, I cannot believe that I keep forgetting to mention your leaf ! It is *beautiful*!!!! I love it and I'd like to have you stop by and show me how it is done. ;o) I'm going to try to get Michelle here at the same time so that she can show both of us how to make those wonderful hummingbird plant stakes. :oD Deanne will be here to put together containers while Sue, Monique & Honey are designing which plants need to go where in my new curvy beds......hmmmm, I've not thought of all of the other Idylls' jobs, but I can find something for everyone to do. :oD Yep.......busy is happy!

I decided that I could show this picture of the tail as it isn't gory.......you can see the 'hole' where the bone would have been. We did not trim it, this is how it was found and it isn't a jagged edge, it appears to have been cut cleanly.

{{gwi:157176}}

Here are a couple pictures of some of today's work:

{{gwi:157177}}

{{gwi:157178}}

DH had buried the cinder blocks to be the edge of the front bed and he took such great care to make them level and a nice curve. I had wanted smaller bricks but he felt these would work better for some reason (buried deeper and keeping grass from going under smaller bricks?) Anyway, it was a big job to lift those puppies out of the ground....and to pound the dirt out of them. :oD (Glad you got a giggle out of that one Drema!)

g'night.....

T.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Morning all!

I've been enjoying Deanne's containers too. I must put mine together soon, perhaps on the next few rainy days they are predicting. But today is supposed to be nice until dinner time. Hope so! Lots to do, sort of like T, been spreading newspapers and bark chips - and my back knows it! I've ordered more chips, but that may take a while. I was told there are about 20 people in line before me. :( T, your pasture photo is stunning. I love the cool lush look with the dark tree trunks!

We've been eating asparagus and there's going to be lots more. I do get sick of it at this time of year, but then later in winter miss it. Yesterday I cooked up some rhubarb. A friend makes rhubarb muffins that are good so I need to get that recipe.

Well Marian, I too collected a few feathers in my time, but DD has them now I think. I know the cats loved them! I also have 2 robin eggs sitting on the kitchen counter. They were found in the lawn a little while ago.

I wish I could have shopped with Eden and Honey the other day! I so agree that Honey is quite capable of designing her front area. I do realize though that it is great to have someone knowledgeable to bounce ideas off of. But then, there's that mastergardener Eden nearby. I bet David B would love to join in too! You couldn't buy help like that!

Gotta run. A full day here. I'll try to return later! ENJOY YOUR DAY!
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good morning

Hi Drema - nice to hear from you but sorry your job sounds up in the air.

Deanne - keep the containers coming - I love getting inspiration from them!

T - my, you've been working hard! Poor little bobbed goat tail. Speaking of animals, Cousseau caught his first mouse yesterday by the pool. We thought he had a squeaky toy till it stopped squeaking. Poor David was rather upset as the mouse was the same size as Peanut his pet hampster. I was a bad dog mommy last night as we were right out of Cloussea's food and I didn't have time to run to the pet shop. Following the mouse appetizer he had a bowl of home made lentil soup and half a can of Chef Boyardee. He ate it all with relish.

Today is Annie's 13th Birthday and I am now the parent of a teenager - yikes, how did that happen! We're opening a few presents after school but celebrating when DH comes home on Saturday with a lobster dinner. Annie has a chorus/orchestra concert tonight which I'm looking forward to. Her best friend decorated her locker with paper and ribbons etc, and being a particularly sweet girl, also asked me for the combination so that she could tidy the inside too. I think Annie will be delighted.

Another gorgeous day but then some much needed rain. The garden and I will enjoy both.

Mary

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Hi everybody!

I'm sorry that I don't have more time to be here,but I've been up to my ears in everything.

Taryn sorry about Bruce and your FIL-I'll keep you all in my thoughts.

Hi Ei; ) thanks for thinking of me!

Drema-I feel terrible for you with all that you went through to move to the new job for such a short time. Is this definitely an imminent thing? So does that mean your boss goes too? I thought that since he was actually sought after that he'd stay and you too. I hope it all works out. Call me if you need to scream. Not that it makes things better but it's good you have the real estate work to help you along until you get things figured out.
    Chris is even having some worries. His boss basically told him that if he can find another job he should take it(!).They said there's no faculty position(they initially said he'd get one)and things are up in the air about a decent raise or promotion-all that for a guy who worked so hard for his Ph.D.(I am pissed!)He's miffed that they took their time telling him all this-things have been in upheaval with key workers leaving;ones that bring in the big grants.
    His news is not all bad though because now the Sociology dept. is needing a stats person for next year. He hopes this really comes to fruition.

Please everyone think light happy thoughts for Chris on Monday at 2pm...he's defending his dissertation!! I will be sitting there a bundle of nerves: )

Michelle your pic of trailing rose is gorgeous-what an attractive plant-I've only skimmed;is that a coleus?

Love the pics sorry I can't comment individually-I'm pressed for time: (

Have fun, be good and I hope to check in someday again....it might be a while for me.

~BAbs

• just_t
    17 years ago

Babs, you've been missed! I hope you'll be able to pop in and let us know how Chris' dissertation defense goes. I hope all goes well for him on that day and that all will work out well for his job search.

T.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls! Just a quick pop in as this seems to be a busy week! Had a piddle of rain yesterday, but they say there will be more today...Geesh...I *hope* so! I am in such fear of another drought. The weathermen make me so angry too. Why do they say things like, "Well the temps will be nice, but it looks like our day may be ruined by rain"? Ruined by rain?!? What's wrong with these people, don't they remember all their words of woe last year when the farmers were suffering?! Why can't they say something like "beautiful temps. out there today and we will be having a lovely shower which is just what we need to help everything grow to its loveliest!" LOL, I know, I'm taking it too personal and too much to heart, but I am *so* worried. Okay, I'll stop whining and crabbing now!

Deanne - what a lovely combination! Funny, I picked up 'Fireworks' at Sunrise this year. My pot is not nearly as lush or full at this point. I couldnt resist the violas...love the antiquey color! They will probably peter out eventually and my plan is that the ornamental cabbage babies in the container will grow and fill in the space later:

{{gwi:157179}}

{{gwi:157180}}

Oh, and remember the camassias we were talking about last year...how the foliage gets unkempt and I was just going to cut them back as soon as they got messy? Well I did and they are back again! :-) I will have to look at pics from last year to see if they are as lush or if they suffered from being cut back. In any case, I will probably cut them back again this year. My pics dont do them justice...they are just the loveliest blue and so delicate...really *do* like them:

{{gwi:157181}}

{{gwi:157183}}

The driveway is really pleasing me this year and looking very spring like. Wish I could get a better pic, but the driveway is long and I cant get a decent shot of the whole thing. Anyway, thats the tree peony just beginning to bloom and all the way up the driveway are purple columbines with alliums and sweet woodruff blooms. Laughing at my pic now that I get a closer look at it. You can't even see any of the alliums,columbines, or sweet woodruffs, but trust me they are there...LOL!

{{gwi:157184}}

Finally heres my Goldhearts underneath the Redbud, for Eden & Sue:

{{gwi:157185}}

Seems to be a lot missing in this part of the garden, I know its suppose to be much fuller than this. Im hoping that things will pop up later because for the life of me I cant figure out whats missing! Drat the drought!

Thanks guys for the compliments on the birdbath. Im a little embarrassed coz I feel you guys might get the impression I have some talent somewhere...LOL! Believe me they are as easy as pie to make. I think I posted the directions last year? But, if anyone would like them, I can post them again. T if I can do it, you can do it, honestly! :-) But, I would love to have a class with Michelle too! :-) So glad to hear that Boo maybe stepped on the poor goats tail...I like that explanation much better! I knew that little sweetheart would not be mean! :-)

Marian My mom had the same saying, only she said it in reverse. "Our house is clean enough to be healthy and messy enough to be happy." :-) I would love to come see you "country folks". :-) Sorry to hear about the flu, but glad you are feeling a little better today.

Drema So sorry to hear about the funding at work...thats so disappointing. I know you worked hard to get the job and keep thinking with a smile, of you braving the train, which only goes to prove that you can do *anything* you put your mind to...so hang in there! Ill be keeping good thoughts that something can be worked out at the college. Congratulations on the shower...I bet your planters were gorgeous...yes, please post some pics! :-) I know what you mean about wishing everyone lived closer, I feel like that a lot too! :-)

Hi Babs! :-) Good to see you, even if its just for a short post. I will be sending positive vibes to Chris for his dissertation. I know Chris must feel very disappointed, but hang in there, it will have to work out and having his PhD (laughing at myself cause I kept on having to look at how you wrote it) is a real accomplishment, no matter how things turn out. I think his boss was an a** for putting it that way. I know the economy is kind of crazy these days and nothing is certain, but I hope that everything will work out for the best for Chris and will be sending positive vibes about the Sociology Dept. Keep your chin up!

Happy Birthday Annie!

John Denver - Annie's song
    You fill up my senses
    Like a night in the forest
    Like the mountains in springtime
    Like a walk in the rain
    Like a storm in the desert
    Like a sleepy blue ocean
    You fill up my senses
    Come fill me again
    Come let me love you
    Let me give my life to you
    Let me drown in your laughter
    Let me die in your arms
    Let me lay down beside you
    Let me always be with you
    Come let me love you
    Come love me again
    Let me give my life to you
    Come let me love you
    Come love me again
    You fill up my senses
    Like a night in the forest
    Like the mountains in springtime
    Like a walk in the rain
    Like a storm in the desert
    Like a sleepy blue ocean
    You fill up my senses
    Come fill me again

{{gwi:157186}}

Couldnt pass up that beautiful John Denver song...Hope you have a lovely day Annie!

Well, gotta go, have a wonderful day all! Ei

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

My goodness...more storms early this morning. T&L, hail,wind, and ( of course) more rain. The hail was only about small marble size and it, and the wind, did very little damage. The hail didn't accumulate. The rain amounted to about 8/10ths inch. We are not through for the day, though. More storms are moving in from Oklahoma.

Deanne, yes, I am fortunate that I did not pass out and fall. I tried to walk it off (smile), and was wandering around the yard. I decided to bring in some blooms from the Duchess of Edinburgh. I went behind the trellis, and realized I would be hid from Nolon's view if I passed out, so came around to the front of it so he could see me. :-)
    I am almost completely over it ( I think).
    Your containers are coming along beautifully. I haven't even started mine. I have 4 flats of new plants to go along with all my wintered over ones, plus the flat of agastache seedlings from Taryn's seeds.
    I planted one long container of caladium bulbs this morning.I've got more of them to plant, but want to get a couple more of the long planters. Planted a pot of 2 Peruvian Daffodils (I've never tried them before). I dug the 3 Dahlia roots out of the large pot that they have been resting in all winter, and discovered they are sprouting, even though the soil is totally dry. I plan on planting them in the ground this year. They did not do well at all in the pot...not one bloom, and much too tall. I potted up my plain green Elephant's Ear but it has not sprouted yet. Probably still too cold, even though it is indoors.

Mary, I don't envy the being a mother of a teenage girl. :-)
    And I don't envy Annie for reaching that age. I was a miserable teenager. In 6 months my oldest GD will be 13. But 15-16 is worse, because they can start driving! I 'really' dread that! And then there will be the dating, and that is even worse!! Thank goodness most of it is survivable. :-)

Maria, how I wish the deer hadn't developed a taste for my asparagus. I am hard pressed to get enough for the two of us. I used to take large dishes full to the Golden Year's class. They are still asking me about my asparagus.
    Not only do I have feathers, I have 4 dried out bird eggs in the plate of natural stuff that I mentioned to Ei.

Teresa...careful with those fingers! They don't grow back !
    You don't want them to look like that poor goat's tail...
    Eewww !

Hi Drema. Good to see you back.

Happy Birthday, Annie!
    {{gwi:157187}}

And a belated Happy Birthday , Lisa. I hope you are okay.
    {{gwi:157188}}

Marian

• deanneart
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good morning Idylls,

Well, it is another cold and rainy morning here but please dont think Im complaining about it. Im not! We really needed this rain and it is turning into a good soaking rain and will be doing this for the next five days or so. That should hopefully make up our rain deficit here. Im a bit grumpy at the moment because I had my AM post half done and then had to run out to the dentists office for my yearly cleaning and while I was gone my computer rebooted itself because of a windows update and my word file is gone. It should have been in a temp file someplace but I cant find it. Needless to say the lost post was witty and insightful and now is gone so there is no way Ill be able to reconstruct my brilliant, missing post. Sorry guys. LOL

So the news at the dentists office is that Im in desperate need of another crown and Im giving in to the inevitable and have it scheduled for September. I really should have scheduled it for next week considering the condition that tooth is in but I cant deal with it right now. Im going to have to have some prescription drugs to sit in that chair again. I also need a night guard because I grind my teeth at night, great, I already have trouble sleeping. The good news is that I dont need another cleaning for a year because my teeth and gums are in tip-top shape. A facet of my OCD behavior is that Im meticulous about cleaning my teeth because I hate having dental work done so much.

Anyway, I found some lovely plants yesterday, a few abutilon with huge flowers and a lovely Solanum jasminoides Variegata that I cant wait to play with. There are just too many plants and not enough time.

Hi Drema! Great to hear from you but not great to hear you might lose your job. That is a real bummer. I hope your real estate sales pick up big time so you can do that full time. ~~ Glad to hear you had a terrific day for the shower. We had a beautiful week here last week too. ~~ Very neat that you are now among the artsy planter types. LOL I had to re-read your post because I thought you were saying you were losing your job because of us guys. LOL again.

T, you have been really busy there. Great to see you so focused on your curvy beds project. Im enjoying all your photographs of the progress. ~~ I thought of you yesterday when the local news carried a story about this fellow who went car shopping and when he left the dealership his truck door was covered with a swarm of bees. Must be the time of year for it. Did you ever find where your swarm moved to?

HI Bug, great to hear from you. I hope you can get a full day of work in before the rain. It didnt start here until about 2PM or so yesterday so I was able to do most of my crawling about the nursery before it got wet. ~~ I sure wish I could have gone plant shopping with Honey and Eden too. Wouldnt that have been a blast.

Mary, LOL about Clousseau and his mousie appetizer, then the Chef Boyardee for an entrée, does it get better than that???? You are too funny. ~~ A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Annie! Ah yes, I remember those days with my DD well. Good times. BTW, the next 13 years will go by even more quickly.

Hi Babs, so sorry about Chris job situation. That is a real bummer after all that hard work. Ill be crossing my fingers and toes for you and Chris on Monday, This has been such a long time coming for him Ill bet you all have a huge celebration when it is successfully done.

Eileen, I so agree with you about the weather people acting that the rain will ruin the day when you are in need of it. I personally love a good rainy day. It is only the weeks of dull and dreary/drizzly that can get me down in the spring. ~~ I love your container with those gorgeous violas. Is that a Scotch Moss Aurea? In there with it? And what are those other dark purple, ruffled coleus in there? So pretty!!! The only reason mine is so full right now is that the Abutilon and the Pennesitum rubrum are last years plants that were under lights all winter and the Iresine and the Fuchsia Golden Marenka are the big containers I got for cheap at the Keene Flower Show the end of March. Ive got a ton of really large plants to place and might just wind up putting some of them directly in the borders if I run out of container space. Dont you just love that Fireworks? A really pretty coleus. Im hoping it bushes out a lot for me. Im planning on pruning the other stuff in there as needed to let if have some space to fill in. ~~Those camassias are just lovely. Ive been wanting to use them for a while and Im really going to order them for the fall this year. I just adore your spring gardens with your abundance of tulips. I was really delinquent and didnt plant a single bulb last fall and it is showing in the gardens now. Ive promised myself Im going to really do some bulb planting this year for next spring.~~And your driveway is luscious!!! How tall is that tree peony? It is incredible! I had one in the back but had to move it to the side of the house so Im hoping to eventually get some size back to it. ~~BTW, never feel embarrassed by compliments. You are really creative and talented. That birdbath is stunning and the color is fabu-fabu.

Here are a couple more pics from yesterday. I just adore the spring foliage. Everything is so GREEN, lush and perfect

Im enjoying these tulips and the purple astilbe foliage next to the Sambucus The mid-ribs of the tulips echo the color of the Sambucus flowers and the purple astilbe foliage is the same red-violet as the edges of the Sambucus foliage. Id like to say I planned the whole thing but it really was a happy accident.
    {{gwi:157189}}

This clump of double daffodils have been blooming for quite a while now and I really love them. The emerging foliage of the Hakone albo striata hides the maturing daff foliage nicely.
    {{gwi:157194}}

This is my new dwarf Japanese pine on the left of the photo, Im loving this little evergreen corner of this garden
    {{gwi:157196}}

And a pic of the back gardens filling in.
    {{gwi:157197}}

Pansies and JM for Eileen, I know you loved this combination last year
    {{gwi:157198}}

OK time to go and pot up some dahlias Have a great day all I sure hope more of our missing Idyllers check in soon.

Deanne

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Eileen, I probably said that backwards.....:-(
    I have a plaque hanging on the outside of our front door that says "WELCOME Although our house is a mess, come in - relax - converse. It doesn't always look like this...sometimes it's even WORSE !!!
    Your beds are looking good! My camassia is a real disapointment. Very few blooms. They are in several differant locations, and none are doing well.
    Your tree peony is lovely, and the tulips are too.

I'm sorry about all the job woes. Since Nolon was self employed for the most of our married life we didn't have that problem. We just wondered from one week to the next if we would have enough income to pay bills and buy food!

Babs, I do hope all works out well for Chris.

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

When I looked out this a.m. I could see that the deer copped off all the flowers of the double pink tulips that I posted a pic of the other day. They could at least have the decency to eat them but they just leave them on the ground. I will definitely move them. The areas that are closer to the house they dont bother. Especially if it is near Jadens dog house. Although, I did see a hosta that was munched by the house but out of Jadens sight.

I stopped this a.m. on the way to work at a plant sale. I didnt find much other than some homemade caramel rolls, a cactus, a couple of golden lysimachia for containers and an lovely blooming African violet for my moms birthday.

We are supposed to get more rain today. Rick isn't getting much corn planted, so we are hoping for a stretch of dry weather.

Ei, I would love it if you would visit. What fun that would be. Your pictures are so pretty. I love your tulips and the tree peony.

Eden, Im so glad you werent hurt by the asphalt. How scary. My ex-husband had it where a chunk of asphalt bounced out of a dump truck that he met and it went right through the windshield and hit him in the chest. Thanks for the link, Ill have to check it out.

Babs, best of luck to Chris on Monday. Yes it is a coleus.

Sue, I think that the variegated Polygonatum maybe trying to come back with one sprout, but then it looks like someone stepped on it during the siding project.

Marian, I could send you a piece of the fern leaf also.

T, LOL if your new curvy beds are where our missing plants are, then I dont care. Your cinder blocks sound like the river rock that we put down at one time and then a couple of years ago broke our backs digging it out.

RE: feathers, I see a bunch in the barn that are fairly good size. I dont recognize what kind of bird they are from. Obviously some kind that a cat can catch.

Deanne, the Lysimachia Golden Alexander sounds like a plant I would like. I truly love your latest container. It shows so well that you can have a lovely container without anything blooming. I really enjoyg seeing the long shots of your garden. You have such lovely garden art and the pansy/Jap maple is a fabulous combination. As for the asparagus, we love it and it is nice to give away. Sorry to hear about the tooth repair.

Drema, I can understand if you dont get much done in the garden. I know I didnt last year while planning the wedding. Sorry to hear about the job.

Mary, a teenager - now the fun begins ;o) A very happy birthday to Annie.

Later
    Michelle

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Well drat, I managed to get the stomach bug that is going around. I woke up this morning thinking that my fast food dinner had not agreed with me, but pretty soon it was obvious that there was more going on than that. My temp has hit 102. As much as they need me in the office this time of year, they really, really don't need this bug.

Drema, good to hear from you but sorry to hear about the potential job loss. I have faith that things will work out for you.

Babs, ditto that sentiment for you and Chris.

That's all for now - I still really ache. I haven't eaten anything since I had a half-bowl of cereal 12 hours ago. I need to figure out what osunds good. (Of course, no one is home with me but the dogs - and they're lousy cooks, they eat all the food before it's done!)

Good thing I started a big, thick Michael Crichton book the other day. :)

V.

• deanneart
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

Well it is 52 degrees out overcast and drizzly. The weather gurus are predicting four plus inches of rain in the next couple days. I think that system that has been thundering on Marian is going to come north and dump some precip on us. Sue, they are predicting up to six inches of rain for you down in CT. I was thinking of last year when you were getting those new beds put in and we kept getting these torrential deluges that kept washing the topsoil over your patio. I hope it all is anchored down now. LOL

V!!! So what is this stomach bug that is going around the Idylls now? First Marian had it and now you are down with the flu. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Michelle, I know youd like this new Alexander. Im hoping it performs as well as the other variegated one. Glad you like the containers. Im tending toward making more compositions that are foliage only for some reason. ~~ I sure wish we lived closer so I could be the recipient of some of that asparagus!!!! LOL ~~ That is a bummer about the deer eating your tulips and hosta. Im so thankful that I dont have to deal with deer in the gardens. The woodchucks are bad enough but they dont take everything out the way deer do. ~~ I get the grey squirrels chopping off the tulip heads and just leaving the buds on the ground from time to time and it infuriates me. Like yours, they just leave them lying on the ground. It seems like they are giving you a nasty hand gesture, if you know what I mean? LOL

Marian, glad you decided to stay in view of Nolan when you were sick the other day. Glad to hear you are feeling better. How the heck did you give it to V though? LOL

Eileen, I love Annies Song! I used to sing that for weddings when I used to do that. ~~ I looked for that dicentra the other day but they didnt have it. Ill have to look further. What a bummer you think? Ill have to keep checking out other nurseries.

So I got another couple containers put together yesterday. I found this irresistible fuchsia when I went to Lake St. Gardens the other day and of course didnt resist it. It is called Blacky for good reason. (Yes, I know the last thing I needed was another fuchsia.) The corolla is the deepest purple so it appears almost black and the sepals are this fabu hot magenta, just about exactly the coloration of Magilla Perilla when grown in good light. So, of course, I had to plant them together. I also threw in my Iresine herbstii I had unbder the lights all winter, Coleus Trailing Rose and Coleus Eclipse Im so fond of.
    {{gwi:157199}}

And another very large chartreuse/violet container that is designed to coordinate with the other one I used that Japanese Maple Veridis as the centerpiece for this one. The large coleus is Alabama Sunset that I got as a cutting from Sue last summer. This one is the actual cutting. The plectranthus is one I had from a container last year and had under lights all winter. I also added one of my Abutilon pictum cuttings, a Heuchera Marmalade and Ajuga Black Scallop. I cant wait to see that Black Scallop cascading well over the sides of that light colored pot. Should be pretty. This is going to be for the patio in the back as it should take quite a bit of shade.
    {{gwi:157200}}

OK Im off to get a few more things planted before the rains come. Have a good day everyone. I hope no more of this flu is going around.

Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Well good gray, dreary morning. As Deanne said, we're expecting some rain although I haven't heard anything here about deluges. If you look at the extended forecast, it shows rain for the next week. We do need it. Poor Tom has the electrician coming tomorrow to hook up the hot tub. We'd like to get going (or at least I would) on putting that area back together but obviously the weather is not in our favor. This weekend is a washout anyway between my SIL's graduation party in Nashua (two hour drive) tomorrow from 5-10 PM and taking my MIL out for dinner on Sunday at 2. The rain on Saturday makes sense since one of my friends at work scheduled her out of state sister to come and tour my garden...lol. We've only had that planned for a couple of months now. I'm convinced that I cannot have garden company without rain. It's some sort of curse.

T...lol...you have been a busy bee. Glad my days of new garden creation are over-more or less anyway. It's going to look great once you get some plants to fill in. Then you can just sit back on your porch and enjoy.

Deanne I may come up a little early tomorrow and go to the Mixed Border. Are you going to be around. We're planning to leave the dogs at my brother's condo during the party because of the timing. It is Rivier College, BTW. I guess the graduation is tomorrow too-hope it's inside.

V, hope you're feeling better today. Nothing worse than a stomach bug. Yuck.

Happy Birthday to Annie!

Drema, sorry about the job situation. Have you heard for sure that your job will be one of the ones cut? Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

You people are so far ahead of me with the containers it's laughable. Last night I moved more perennials from the curb garden. This is a distraction I just don't need right now. Since I don't feel like potting all this stuff up, I've been tucking it here and there in the garden so everything is starting to feel haphazard to me-a garden problem I was hoping to correct this year. At least the weather is conducive to moving stuff.

Marian, we that clean house plaque hanging in the hallway when I was a kid. My mom had 4 kids under 5 so our house was always a disaster...lol.

Gotta run...hi to all I missed and who are missing.

Sue

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Deanne, I forgot to spray my keyboard with disinfectant! LOL,
    Sorry, V .......
    I'm not sure I am over it yet. My lower back and stomach are hurting pretty bad, and I am having more stomach woes, plus more than usual headache and neck pain.
    Drat! I am soooo sick of being sick!

Our rain is apparently over for awhile, but now we have gone back to early April temperatures. I think early May has got mixed up with early April. It was 40 last night, and every night for the next week are predicted to be in the 40s. I wonder how that is going to effect all the houseplants that I put out. I am not about to bring them back in! I am bringing in all the flats of plants, and the brug.

Deanne, The 'Sedona' coleus perked right back up in it's jar of water overnight. It's nice to know that the 'Alabama Sunset' is originally from Sue. Between your coleus & brug, Taryn's agastache seeds, orchids and Peony from Eileen, I am getting plants that represent many of the Idyll members. :-)

This morning is Nolon's follow-up at his doctor. So I've got to get off here and get ready to take him.

Marian

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning everyone!

V, so sorry to read that you are ill. I hope you feel better soon!!

Mary, I hope Annie had a beautiful day to celebrate turning 13. The years fly by so rapidly! David still walking in the clouds? :o) Both of your children sound like they are great people.

Deanne, more great container pics!

Sounds like too much rain will be hitting those in the NE in the next couple of days. Hope it doesn't cause too many problems in your gardens.

This is just a fly by post.....I've got to get out the door in a bit. Hello to all!

T.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Last night it turned very cold and windy. I checked and all the plants that are in the holding area faired the wind quite well. Its supposed to drop to 38 the next 2 nights. That is a little too close to freezing for me. Especially with the number of plants I have out there. I may just group them close and put a couple empty big pots around them and make a tent.

Rick finally made it into the field the last 2 days. Although, we did get a little rain again last night.

I have been slowly working on the vegetable garden. I now have the center area done. I would like to plant it soon so I need to keep going. It wont be nearly as big as Maries but it will make it much more decorative and keep the grass out.

Hopefully V and Marian are feeling better today.

Deanne, another fabulous container. I have a couple of those same containers that you have in the first picture. How fun to make containers with such nice size plants.

Well, Sue if you ever need rain, just schedule a garden tour. LOL

Have a great day

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

{{gwi:157201}}
    I got such a kick out of this little guy yesterday! I was watering some containers I had just potted up, when I noticed him staring at me so intently. He did not take his eyes off me for a second, so I finally got to thinking maybe he was thirsty and so I refreshed the birdbath with new water. He didnt seem the least bit interested in the birdbath and just kept on staring, so I continued my potting. About a half hour later Im watering in a few perennials I just purchased and there he is...still staring at me! Finally I moved away to water in another spot and then I noticed he made a bee line right to where I had been watering and he was pecking furiously at the soil! Finally I got the message...he was looking for worms and hoping my watering would make the soil easier to peck through...LOL! Told you we needed rain here! He was just so cute that I had to share him with you. So that was my big laugh and entertainment for the day. I know, I *am* easily amused!

And a good dreary morning to you too, Sue! ;-) Speaking of rain we are having glorious showers today...naaaa, naaaa, naaaa, naaaa to the weatherman! :-) The rains started last night and have been continuing all day today. Its a soft, gentle rain that will do wonderful things for my garden! :-) I am *so* thrilled! Although, I *do* understand what you all mean about days and days of grey, its just *here* we can really use the rain.

This will be a short post because Im recovering from our anniversary celebration last night..LOL! Time flies...cant believe its been 26 years. We went to a wonderful restaurant last night called Courtrights and I had 2 *delicious* pumpkin Martinis...that is one more martini than I can usually handle...LOL! Anyway I know it sounds weird, but it was delicious! Like drinking a liquid cinnamon spiced pumpkin pie with whipped cream! And the rim of the glass was coated with sugar and cinammon....Yum! :-) Would like to find the recipe for that one; think it would be a special treat for Thanksgiving. Dinner was delicious and I ate *way* too much. Paul and I shared our meals. We had the fixed price four course dinner which included things like:

Sauteed Hand Rolled Potato Gnocchi with Tomato & Roasted Sweet Corn Salad;

Tiny, Smoked Salmon Cucumber Sandwiches which my hubby thought were delicious, but which were probably wasted on me as I dont really like *anything* smoked;

Hawaiian Ahi Tuna Tartare Nicoise with green beans, black olives and diced potatoes in mustard emulsion;

White Wine Poached Pear with Crispy Brie and Toasted Almonds with Mesclun Greens in a Vanilla-Chamomile Vinaigrette;

Spring Asparagus Salad Frisée with aged Manchego Cheese, in a Brown-Butter Grapefruit Vinaigrette;

Grilled Filet Mignon with Sour Cream Chive Mashed Potatoes, Baby Carrots and Bordelaise Sauce;

Crispy Alaskan Halibut with Ragout of Sweet Pea, Fresh Coconut, Pistachios and Cucumber;

Valrhona Molten Chocolate Cake, which was like a chocolate soufflé with a dollop of whipped cream on top;

Lemon Meringue Tart with fresh berries and whipped cream.

Do you believe us little piggies?!? LOL! Thank goodness anniversaries only come once a year...I *cannot* eat like that! Luckily their servings are on the small side (like French restaurants do) and yet I still had a bit of a tummy ache this a.m....go figure! LOL! Anyway, it was wonderful and very special!

So is everybody hungry now?...LOL! I know *I* am, but luckily there is nothing in this house to eat! :-)

Marian I *love* your birthday pics...such a pretty butterfly and is that Aso (sp.?) in the 2nd pic? Its beautiful. I cant remember what your Aso looked like, just remember I liked it a lot! Sorry to hear you are still a bit under the weather. Hope Nolons check up will be all good news! So then I will mail you seed of myosotis after they set. :-) LOL! I *love* the saying you have outside your back door...what a hoot! My mom would love that too! :-)

Michelle, I would love to come in spring. I think we would have lots of fun too. :-) Just hope I dont embarrass myself or you too much when I go gaga over all the tulips! LOL!

V sorry to hear about the flu...hope you're feeling like your spunky self soon!

T My son and I use to collect feathers we would find on our outings (hope big brother isnt reading this) and would place them in one of those magnetic photo albums. We have hawk feathers, an eagle feather, parrot feathers, exotic bird feathers from our many zoo visits, even parakeet and canary feathers from our own pets, etc. I still have the album cause my *son* isnt as sentimental as I am...LOL!

Deanne I *still* love that Japanese maple with the rich red pansies...*so* gorgeous and I am glad you posted it again, now I have to make some notes and remember to plant those gorgeous pansies under my maple next spring! Of course, *all* your pictures are stunning! I love the way you place ornament in the garden; Eden is really great at that too! Wish I had a better eye for it. That little evergreen is beautiful...I remember when you wrote about finding it. Nice that it will stay so small for so long. Thanks for the nice words about my container. The little golden plant in the front is an Angelina sedum. I saw a post from Marie (I think last year) with that one in it and I just fell in love. Bought 6 plants of it from Bluestone this spring. I will move this one at the end of the year into the garden somewhere, as its actually a perennial. The ruffly purple thing, believe it or not is Purple Ruffles basil. I love that plant and use it in a lot of my containers. Its not the most vigorous grower but I love that dark color and it has a beautiful sheen. Thanks too about my spring garden. :-) I *do* love spring! The tree peony is pretty old, Im guessing about 15 years anyway. Its about four feet tall, but *very* bushy. I have 3 other tree peonies, but this pink one is my favorite and it is the only one that doesnt have a name! Bummer about Goldheart! Im surprised you cant find it, but when I dig some up for Dotty, I can send you a piece along too, if you would like? Deanne your containers are so lovely! I can see how "growing things on" yourself really pays off in making containers look so lush and full right from the start! Just beautiful! Im with T...more container pics, please! :-) And, I know I said it before, but would love to see more container pics from *everyone* when you get to that phase. I so enjoyed *everyones* containers from last year!

Well girls, times awasting and I need to go pick up sis now, so Ill TTYL!

P.S. Thanks Michelle for the idea of how to cover my annuals. I think it's going to be pretty cold here too and wasn't sure how I would cover them all. Great idea!

Ei

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Howdy folks! Rainy here too but I am glad. Things were at the desperate stage and the hose just wasn't doing the trick. How do plants know?

Well DH was busy with his computer this morning so I got the car. TROUBLE! First I went to a small town nearby to a place called Stonehaven Nursery. That's where I had seen lots of neat coleus. A few more ended up in the van, along with a really interesting pot. All these container photos are hard on my wallet ladies! This particular nursery carries the same lines of perennials as other places, but they are bigger and healthier and somehow significantly cheaper too! They have lots of cheerful Mennonite lady helpers too. A fun place to go.

I've been looking for special cedar posts for a new clematis walk I'm hoping to build. Drove to several places but still can't find what I need. It will happen sometime though...

There are so many plants in my back room these days that I can't use the washing machine unless I put trays on the floor. The wind and rain are too strong for taking the plants outside today even though the temperature is fine.

Our Horticultural Society's plant sale is Saturday morning and I should get out there and dig up more stuff, but I hate stepping in soggy beds and compacting the soil...

Last night Charlotte was out for her late evening walk and managed to sneak a Mallard egg from a duck nest by our pond. BAD BAD Dog! I hope the mother has returned to care for the other eggs but I don't dare walk over there and check because I'd terrify her. We had taken her and one of the cats to the vet's just before that and they determined that Charlotte has lost weight. Guess that mallard egg looked mighty good to her. I'll be feeding her more for the next little while.

A question for all: How does Mother Nature know when peonies are in bud and about to bloom? She ALWAYS produces heavy rains at this time of year that smash down the plants. They are too big to protect too! End of grunching.

Ei, that sedum Angelina multiplies. You can simply break off a piece and get a whole new plant. It works really well near dark heucheras too.

Thinking of Annie and her birthday, Taryn and her friends, V and Marian with their 'bugs', T and her curvy beds and mulch, Deanne and her dentist (ugh!), Drema and her job, and Sue and the street workers creating jobs for her. Fortunately it is a beautiful and exciting spring, and that eases the pain of problems for us all.

'bug

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

In anticipation of the continual 4 days of 'rain showers' we expect to get here (me w/ day off tomorrow & hopes of gardening 4 days - almost as good as scheduling a garden tour, Sue, to get rain),
    for happy anniversary (Ei), Get Well Soons (V & Marian), Happy Birthday (Annie) and a general Happy Mother's Day to all &
    Happy happy to Idyllers:

{{gwi:157202}}

{{gwi:157203}}

{{gwi:157204}}

{{gwi:157205}}

{{gwi:157206}}

{{gwi:157207}}

--Cindy

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good afternoon

Cindy - what beautiful pictures. The clematis are such a lovely rich color - they are making me anticipate mine even more. Will you still garden in the rain? - I do at times, but I get so incredibly muddy.

Thank you for the good wishes for Annie's birthday. Marian and Ei - yours were her first internet cards and she was tickled pink when I showed her. I hummed along to Annie's song - I haven't listened to it for a while. Your meal sounds scrumptious - how nice to enjoy a special evening together and I loved the little robin.

Do hope V and Marian are feeling better.

Michelle - glad to hear Rick could make it to the fields for a while at least. Send some of your rain our way - today's promised showers were micro-bursts that did nothing. I just came in from watering pots.

I wonder if Brenda is out on her tractor.

Sue - hope the weather gives you a break.

Today I took off from work to accompany Annie's class on a field trip. They spent the day at the Planetarium and Science museum in a really cool simulated space lab. The kids were each assigned a role aboard a space ship and completed a computer simulated mission. It was a fun way to spend the day and being with the older children was an interesting change from the little ones I work with. It was nice to meet some of Annie's classmates - there is much less parental involvement at middle school and I miss knowing everyone in her class.

Off to pot up some more veggie seedlings - 'Long Cayenne', 'Fooled You Halepeno' and 'mini red bell' peppers are ready for cell packs.

Mary

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Eileen, yes that is Asao. BTW, That plaque is on my 'front' door.:-)
    I love your robin pic, and the story about it. We farm people are familiar with birds following behind farm equipment to get the bugs and worms that are stirred up.
    I am so glad you are/were getting a good soaker.
    HAPPY Anniversery! 26 years ......wait until it has been twice that... like we almost are! What an exotic meal. I have never had anything like that.

LOL, Marie, you are sure laying in the plants! But then, you have a lot of open space to put them. You have some very interesting species, many that I am not familiar with.
    Naughty Charlotte...;-) Dogs will be dogs. I have forgotton, is she on a diet?
    I have wire cages around my peonies, so they don't get smashed down, but the large double old fashioned white ones end up with their flowers looking like wet rags, and one of the new doubles had it's stem bent over the wire ring. It is in a vase in the livingroom now.

Wow! Wow! Cindy ! Such beauty! What yummy Clems, spacially the second one. What is it's name, and what is the little pink buds?

Nolon didn't get that great of a report from the doctor.
    He seens to think Nolon will have to be on a prostate med for the rest of his life, but the urologist didn't say that...? The Urologist had given him some of the pills, and they cause too many side effects for Nolon to want to use them regularly. Bubble bubble..toil and trouble! We should have "lived hard, died young,,and left a beautiful memory" !
    ( Eileen, do you have the lyrics to that song?)

I walked around the yard and did an assessment of the hail damage. I see that the hostas, hydrangeas, and kiwis all had leaf damage. I'm sure there are other things, but those three types are most noticable. Also, The dastardly deer discovered the new leaves on the Ernest Markham and pruned them ! They also ate the tops off of a couple of Heavenly Blue Morning that were just starting their true leaves. I have erected another fence around them! I've got to keep a stiff upper lip, or some bad words may slip out!

Marian

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

It's been raining here since last night. We've gotten close to 2 in. and we have rain in the forecast for the next 6 days. The garden's loving it. I worked out there all day yesterday, moving and planting things, so the rain is very welcome. I'm starting to think of my container gardens. I have a Rosy Dawn and an Avant order which are both scheduled for the middle of next week and then I should have everything together to get started. I've been repotting all of the larger tropicals that I overwintered, the banana, gingers, colocasias and alocasias, and giving them all fresh soil. I stopped by the nursery this morning and bought 3 more 3 cu. ft. bags of potting soil. That makes 9 bags so far this spring, including what I used to sow my annual seeds. Like the rest of you all it seems I have plants and pots sitting around everywhere. Soon it will be time to put it all together. I can't wait!

Deanne, your containers are beautiful. I especially love the one with the little japanese maple. Funny that you should say that you're focusing mostly on foliage this year in your containers. I was just thinking the same thing about myself this morning as I was walking through all of the annuals in the greenhouse at the nursery and not picking up any of them. Well, I did get a 6 pack of some really cool petunias called pirouette purple.

Sue, at least you know how to end a drought in your area. Just invite someone over to tour the garden. What a bummer that you have to dismantle your curbside garden.

Marie, I'm so excited that you're really getting into creating some container gardens this year.

Cindy, You're garden is looking GOOD! I can't wait until the big fat buds on my clematis open. Your iris is such a pretty color. I have one iris flowering so far, Eleanor Roosevelt. It sounds like you'll just have to garden in the rain this weekend. I'd rather do that than have it too hot.

Happy belated birthday to Annie! Mary, knowing you and knowing what I do of Annie, I don't think you're going to have much of a problem teenager. Enjoy the teenage years. They fly by so fast!

Marian and V, hope you're both feeling better and getting over the flu. Marian, sorry to hear about the hail damage to your plants.

Ei, lol on the robin pic. You have such a great sense of humor. Happy Anniversary to you and Paul!

Marie and Michelle, you both talking about your vegetable gardens makes me think I should take up the offer of my neighbor behind me and put in a vegetable garden in his empty field back there. But then I think I already have more that I can keep up on. It sure is tempting though. Maybe next year. Bella would probably love working in a vegetable garden since she could eat the fruits of her labor.

I know I've forgotten things I wanted to say. That's what happens when I skip posting for a couple of days. Oh I do remember that I want to say glad to hear from Babs and good luck to Chris.

I'm writing this as I keep one eye on Bella running around so I should go. Have a good evening,

Eden

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Marie, I almost forgot that I wanted to post my favorite rhubarb recipe for you.

Rhubarb Custard Pie

1 prepared pie crust w/double crust
    3 eggs
    3 tablespoons milk
    1 3/4 cup sugar
    4 tablespoons all purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    4 cups fresh rhubarb, cut in 1 inch lengths
    2 tablespoons butter

1. Beat eggs, milk, sugar, flour, cinnamon and vanilla in a large bowl just until well blended. Stir in rhubarb.
    2. Prepare pie crust and place in 9-inch pie plate. Spoon in filling; dab with butter.
    3. Prepare top crust and place over filling. Pinch top and bottom crust together; turn under; pinch to make a stand-up fluted edge.
    4. Brush pastry with milk; sprinkle with sugar.
    5. Bake in 400F oven for 45 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Live Fast Love Hard Die Young - Willie Nelson

I wanna live fast love hard die young and leave a beautiful memory

I don't want slow walkin' or sad singin' let 'em have a jubilee
    I wanna leave a lotta happy women thinking pretty thoughts of me

Now you may not approve of the things I do but it really don't bother me
    So don't ever think you gonna tie me down I'm gonna stay footloose and fancy free
    So jump back make tracks move out let the gals at me

[ guitar - fiddle ]

I'm a wampus cat let me grab my hat and baby come along with me
    We're gonna do some fancy stepping we're really goin' on a spree

LOL Marian! Is that the song you were thinking about? I have never heard it before, but got a big kick out of the words! Is the music nice? I notice it calls for guitar and fiddle...I love fiddle. That Willie...hes a hoot! My favorite Willie Nelson song is this:

Willie Nelson - Always on my Mind

Maybe I didn't love you
    Quite as often as I could have
    And maybe I didn't treat you
    Quite as good as I should have
    If I made you feel second best
    Girl I'm sorry I was blind

You were always on my mind

And maybe I didn't hold you
    All those lonely, lonely times
    And I guess I never told you
    I'm so happy that you're mine
    Little things I should have said and done
    I just never took the time

Tell me,
    Tell me that your sweet love hasn't died
    Give me, give me
    One more chance to keep you satisfied
    I'll keep you satisfied

He sings that song with such feeling and sincerity and I like to imagine thats Paul singing it to me...LOL! Oops, I guess I shouldnt let you guys see what a sorry cornball I really am...LOL! Marian, I didnt know what any of those dishes were either until I tried them yesterday!:-) But they were delicious...definitely a place for *special* occasions. Paul and I dont buy anniversary presents for each other; we just try to make a special night out for our anniversaries. A few years back we went to Kohlers in Wisconsin and that was really special too! Thanks for telling me how to spell Asao! Farm life is very interesting and educational...I never knew that about birds! So why do we call someone we dont think is very smart, a birdbrain? Birds seem pretty smart to me! :-) So sorry to hear about the hail damage and them darn deer! LOL about keeping that "stiff upper lip"! :-) Are you going to try that Morning Glory teepee again this year? I thought that was a neat project. I *do* remember you were having a few problems with it; did it finally work out? Oh and heres a pic for you...recognize this?

{{gwi:157208}}

Yep, your Kong Mosaic! I spotted it at Sunrise while I was shopping there a couple weeks ago and swooped it right up. I have to think of a special container planting for it. What did you plant it with last year? I cant remember (my memory stinks) but I *do* remember that however you planted it I fell in love with it and knew right then that if I ever spotted the plant I would get it! :-)

Cindy your plantings are *gorgeous*! I *love* your colors and is that Josephine Clematis I see...LOL! We really *do* have a lot in common! :-) Yes, I have that one too! :-) Oh, and all your irises are beautiful! Do you know the name of that deep pink one in the forefront? Who is that gorgeous ruby colored clematis (I think the 3rd pic)? Been trying to guess what those buds were too...are those Thalictrum flower buds? Anyway, everything is just beautiful...Thanks for sharing with us! I *love* pics! :-)

Marie good to know about Angelina being easy to propagate. I am sadly lacking in the edging plant category and it will be great to be able to spread this one around.

Deanne & Eden, I know I should concentrate more on foliage (its what keeps every thing interesting all season long) but I *am* a sucker for flowers who is trying to reform! :-)

Eden that rhubarb pie sounds delicious and Ive already printed it out. I dont have any rhubarb of my own, but my single, male neighbor, who doesnt give a hoot about the previous owners (my Mrs. Shack's) garden has rhubarb, which hes allowed me to pick to use for my leaf forms. Think Ill go get some more this weekend for that pie. BTW, how do you know when rhubarb is ripe for picking?

Well, I better be off now, Dotty wants me to attend an art show at her sons college and Im not fit to be seen at the moment. Thanks everyone for the Happy Anniversary wishes...hope I reach as many as Marian & Nolon! :-)

P.S. Mary your veggie seedlings sound neat...I *love* their names. Only growing tomatoes this year; Kelloggs Breakfast, Paul Robeson, Mariannas Peace, Cuostralee and Horn of the Andees. Oh and one pepper, but its really an ornamental called Black Pearl...hope its as pretty as it looks in pictures!

Okay, gotta go, TTYAL! Ei

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Eden, thanks for the recipe! I'll make it on the weekend! I'll probably gain 10 pounds just looking at it. Now I need asparagus recipes- I'm really getting sick of it plain with lemon butter!

I made up my first real container this afternoon. I'm going to keep it a secret for a little while, just to make sure everything takes off well. I need to think about fertilizing it too, in addition to regular watering. I had to bring it back indoors because it is going to be windy, rainy and COLD tonight, around 40F. Boy, is it ever heavy! Somebody should write out CARE FOR CONTAINERS for us all...please?

I planted 2 rose bushes, so now I am able to do laundry again- until I buy something new! One of the coleus I bought has really changed colour and makes me wonder why I got it. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

I just wanted to say that all the work in the veg garden is rather exciting but it is so that things are easier to maintain, not really for more vegetables. In fact, more and more flowers are ending up there these days! I hope things will come together there soon and I can show it to you all. It will probably be a few weeks more though. Eden, a vegetable garden is really LOTS of work!

Cindy, is that clematis photo of Niobe? If so, you are way ahead of me! Things are at the bud stage here, not even one clematis bloom yet. Oh! I loved the Camassia photos, Ei...can't wait for mine to bloom. I have 2 kinds and saw some fat buds out there today! :-) Last year in Oregon we visited a fabulous native stand of Camassias...just a heavenly spot!

{{gwi:151211}}

I think it is time for DH to learn a Willy Nelson song or two...I need something new added to his repertoire! :-) 'bug

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

LOL, Eileen, I never was much of a Willie Nelson fan. I like my version better than his.....(Smile).
    Nah, no teepee this year. It was not too impressive. I haven't even bought any Moonvine seeds this year.
    YAY! You found a Kong Mosaic. Mine is planted with 2 impatiens( a pink and a white),2 sanseverias, and an angelwing begonia. They are outside now, by the well house. I hope they survive the cold nights! The Kong has survived, but is only a stub with a few dwarfed leaves. I am hoping hot weather will bring it back.I think a well-grown one is beautiful, ( and yours will be), but mine was rather a disappointment.

Re: Camassia, I was born and raised on Camas Prairie in Idaho. It was named after the Camassias that filled the swampy area in the valley. It is a sight to behold when acres of it are in bloom. It was renamed Centennial Marsh since I left there.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

TGIF!

It's raining, it's pouring, I wish I was still snoring...lol.

Sue

• deanneart
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good Morning,

Well, I just saw the weather radar and Sue is going to have a pretty soggy TGIF today. It is raining West of Hartford at the rate of 2 inches per hour. Incredible! Apparently this storm is heading north and east and should be here by late tonight or tomorrow morning.

I was a bad girl yesterday and skipped going to the gym and spent the day in the gardens. I got so much done! Im really happy with all the things I moved, planted and hoiked. This weather is perfect for shuffling things around because they should be over their transplant shock by the time the rain ends. It is supposed to rain off and on for another five days.

Cindy!!! Wow, wow, wow! Your photos are absolutely gorgeous. I love that huge double clematis in the fourth photo. What is its name??? I might have to find that. Those pink iris are also wonderful. Your photographs are such a treat. Im amazed at how far ahead of us you are there. Thanks for sharing those pics.

Marian, that marsh is amazing! It must have looked like an ocean of blue flowers. Very neat. ~~ So sorry about the hail and deer damage. That is so discouraging.

Bug, I surely wish I could see your new container or at least your new coleus acquisitions (I know how you hate coleus). I guess Ill have to keep the rest of mine secret too. LOL I put together another four containers yesterday. RE container care, in the beginning when they are first planted Im always careful not to overwater them. Ive lost plants in the beginning because they just stayed too soggy. When it is still cloudy and cold in late spring they still dont do a lot of growing. After they are more established and the weather warms I start watering every day in the morning even if weve had a rain the night before. Sometimes the canopy of the plants in the containers keeps them from getting well watered with a rain shower. At the end of the summer I have to water some of them twice a day depending on the temperatures. I begin feeding with a liquid feed like Miracle Grow at half strength once a week or so when they start showing some real aggressive growth. By mid-summer when you know the root mass is really full in the pots Ill feed every third day or so. I groom, deadhead and pinch and prune my container plants every day or every other day depending on how busy I am. Things like the Ipomoea batatas require frequent pruning to keep them in bounds and to keep them from overwhelming the other less aggressive plants in the containers. Normally there are some plants in a combination that dont do as well as others when you plant as thickly as I do. I will either remove the plant which isnt doing well or prune the more aggressive plants around it so it will have more of its share of the food water and light. I have found in the last couple years that if I pay closer attention to combining plants that have similar light and water requirements the container gardens do better. In the past Ive made the mistake of putting shade plants in with full sun plants and it was a challenge to keep them looking good. This year Ive used the Scotts regular potting soil and after that food gets used up (Ive found it takes about a month or so) Im going to try feeding with the Osmocote slow release fertilizer and see how they do instead of using the liquid feed twice a week. Last year I also had trouble with my dahlias in my containers. Ive found that dahlias do NOT like to be crowded in a container (or in the garden for that matter) and they really slow down flower production by the end of the season so Im going to give the dahlias in containers more room this year and see how they do. It always is a learning process trying to figure out what will keep them looking nice all season long. BTW I bought this nifty gizmo last year that is a wheeled dolly designed to move containers. It folds up to take up almost no space but can move 200 pounds. A very useful device for moving these big containers around. I think I bought it at Gardeners Supply but I dont remember for sure. Ill look and see where I got that from.

RE rain and peonies, Same here although mine arent anywhere near being ready to bloom yet except for my Molly which probably wont survive the rain tomorrow. I did buy some big double hoop supports for the peonies and Ill see how they do. Im hoping it helps. Every year when they get beaten to the ground from rain or wind or from just being too big and heavy and I didnt have time to stake them I threaten to hoik them then I smell their wonderful peony fragrance and enjoy a few of those extravagant flowers then they get a reprieve for another year.

Eileen, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with growing tons of flowers in a container garden. I love the flower filled ones too, just for some reason Im doing a lot of foliage stuff this year.

Eden that recipe for Rhubarb Custard Pie sounds divine! You know if I made that with eggbeaters and Splenda it wouldnt even be bad for me, well, except for the pie crust. LOL ~~ I worked out in the garden in the drizzle and off and on rain all day yesterday as well. ~~ How do you go about repotting the biggies??? Like the colocasias? Im like you and need another four of five big bags of potting soil.

Eileen, Love your robin photograph and caption. So fun! ~~BTW, that photo of the red pansies and JM is from this year and not last. I liked that spring combination so much I did it again and added the alyssum. Last year I didnt have the alyssum in that garden yet when the JM leaves were first emerging. I thought of you when I was planting those red pansies out so thought Id do a pic of it again for this year. Thanks for the ID on the sedum and basil. I think Im going to have to look for that Purple Ruffles basil. I quite like that. How large does it get? ~~ I dont want you to go to any more trouble to send me any more plants. Im sure Ill be able to find Goldheart here but thank you for the generous offer. ~~ Im still salivating over your anniversary dinner. Wow! Wonderful!

Michelle, how did your plants make out with the cold temps last night? Hope all is well. ~~ Glad to hear Rick finally made it into the field. Good thing you arent getting the rain we are supposed to have in the next couple days. They are talking six inches of rain in some areas.

Sue so I checked your post from yesterday and you did say tomorrow meaning today. LOL I thought I was losing it for a minute! Anyway, Ill have umbrellas for our trip to Mixed Border tomorrow. We might just have the place to ourselves.

OK I think Ive covered everything and everyone, have a great Friday everyone,
    Deanne

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Good morning! It's been raining for about two days now. I had to put my little veggies in the garage because they were drowning. And a few dreaded s***flakes showed their little faces last night.

The tummy bug has "left the building" and I'm feeling all better. The only final lingering consequence was that my appetite finally returned - at 11:00 pm last night! I was so hungry, I couldn't fall asleep until I finally fixed a snack.

Last night was DD's final band concert at the HS. After the concert they have a short awards program, and she got the top band award, which includes a small scholarship! I was very excited about that (can you tell?), but a little sad that DH missed the night because of work travel.

Marian, now I understand why you miss Idaho so much - what a beautiful area! If I may offer some unsolicited advice, you might do a little internet research on Nolon's prostate condition. I seem to recall that there was a study a few years ago that concluded that treatment in much older men really did nothing to extend their life or improve their quality of life, but sometimes the side effects of the treatment caused their quality of life to suffer. In other words, after a certain age, they found there was nothing to be gained by treating the condition. It's possible that this is the approach that the urologist is taking and the regular doctor isn't aware of this. But remember, I'm not a real doctor, I just play one on the idylls.

Cindy, your photos are lovely!

Okay, I did a little experiment and previewed my post, and now I can't go back to check for more comments. But I can post a photo from a previous spring. Yesterday, I tried uploading some of my old photos to the Walgreens photo site and then I had them printed. Very convenient - I picked them up at my local Walgreens later that day. So here's a little glory of spring past:

{{gwi:157209}}

Off to work now, as I'm leaving early to pick up DS from school. Stay dry!

V.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Deanne, not to worry-no way is it raining 2 inches an hour here. In fact the prediction is 2-4" for the whole day, perhaps more in some areas. Tom was out setting up an umbrella over the hot tub this morning to make sure the electrician had a dry place to work...lol. I guess he wants to make sure that gets done. I think he even plans to fill it and get the water heating before he heads into work. I'll try to get to your house by 2:30 tomorrow. Can Tom and the dogs hang out there while we're at the nursery? The mutts will be in their crates of course. I'll have to bring clothes for the party and change later. Jeez, the things I do for quality plant shopping time.

Cindy, you certainly have a jump on things in the Clematis department. This year I did a better job of supporting my Rogoochi right from the get go and it actually looks like something for once. Now if I could only get that Perl D'azur in the ground. Right now it's growing out of a pot and up some shepherd's hooks on the north side of my garage. Betty Corning has gone wild and her obelisk is to small. I need a gardener.

Camassia...another plant that doesn't like my conditions.

Okey dokey, time to stop being pokey.

Sue

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

That Sue's a poet...
    But she doesn't know it... :-)

LOL! In a rush to pick up mom, but had to comment. BBL!
    Ei

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Morning all....

Michelle, I forgot to tell you that I really appreciate the offer of a start from your fern leaf peony, but please don't go to that trouble.
    Actually, right now is not a good time for me to be even thinking of adding more to my beds. I am STILL battling that durn intestinal thing! I felt SO good for awhile yesterday afternoon.....I thought I was over it. Not!
    Add to that, this COLD weather.... and it is becoming rather depressing.
    It was 40F 'again' this morning, and very slow to warm. even though the sun is brightly shining.

Deanne, I agree with Eileen. That combo of JM and pansies is outstanding. I have put the Coleus and Iresine in pots, and they are looking good. I need to pot up the coleus that I bought, but am running out of potting soil. I was going to get some yesterday, but WalMart was revamping their garden shop, and what I needed was outside. I'd already put some items in my cart, so couldn't take it outside, besides Nolon was out in the car waiting.

V, yes , I 'have' done all the Google research on the prostate problem. The med that the family doc wants him to continue taking is for easing the flow..... if you get my drift. I already got hin Selenium, and I presume he is taking it. There are a couple of other natural products that I need to get ( can't recall the names without looking them up). Nolon is very shy of doing anything that causes him discomfort. ( He hardly wears his dentures for that reason...) :-(
    Speaking of "experiment", I finally discovered I can open one window of the thread to read, and another of the same thread to post to, and go back and forth from the bar on the bottom of the screen. Sure works better. That way, I can keep previewing what I've written, and I don't lose it if the dorky computer should go off line. The page I am posting on is " Perennials" , on the bar, and the other one is " Idyll #264...."

Yes , the marsh looks like an ocean of blue when the camas lilies are in bloom. It is a strong tourist attraction. The Soldier Mountains were the backdrop to our home where I lived the first 13 years of my life. Our farm was about 3 miles from the foot of the mts.( There was snow on the peaks all year around.) At the end of school each year the grade school had a picnic in the foothills, at the Pioneer Picnic area. I have pics of the entire class ( 1st through 8th) at the picnic grounds. Some of them show all of the students ( about 17) on a very long seesaw ( we called it a teeter totter).

Marian

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Just finished more containers and I still have leftover plants! So far I like Coleus Aurora Peach and Rustic Orange the best. I made 2 orangy containers [old and cracked :(], and 2 silver and lavender ones. It really is an art trying to figure out how big they'll get, how much sun they'll need, etc...It takes longer to tidy up the mess than to create them though. Deanne, thanks so much for writing out instructions! I wish brand names were the same everywhere. I've been using lots of my compost for these as that's what I have around, but it is heavy. Oh well, this is a learning experience. So now it is about 50F and cloudy and depressing. Not even any showers so far. Don't know where to keep these plants now!!!

Just a few more newspapers to spread and then more chips to pile on the last of the grass paths. I'm on the home stretch!
    {{gwi:157211}}

Need to go work on the plant sale items that must be delivered tonight. Happy Friday...and Sue, I wish I was still snoring as well.

'bug

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

For all of you who are mothers or have dealt with them...

With Mother's Day coming on Sunday, I owe my mother a big thank you for my formative childhood years!!

1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.
    "If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."

2. My mother taught me RELIGION.
    "You better pray that will come out of the carpet."

3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
    "If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"

4. My mother taught me LOGIC.
    "Because I said so, that's why."

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC.
    "If you fall out off that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the store with me."

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
    "Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."

7. My mother taught me IRONY.
    "Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS.
    "Shut your mouth and eat your supper."

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
    "Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!"

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA.
    "You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone."

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.
    "This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it."

12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.
    " If I've told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!"

13. My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
    "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."

14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION.
    "Stop acting like your father!"

15. My mother taught me about ENVY.
    "There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
    "Just wait until we get home."

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING.
    "You are going to get it when you get home!"

18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
    "If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way."

19. My mother taught me ESP.
    "Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?"

20. My mother taught me HUMOR.
    "When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT.
    "If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
    "You're just like your father."

23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.
    "Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?"

24. My mother taught me WISDOM.
    "When you get to be my age, you'll understand."

25. And my favorite: My mother taught me about JUSTICE.
    "One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you."

OK, now it's really time to get some work done. Can you guess that I'm avoiding something I don't want to do? lol

Sue

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

lol Eileen I think Sue's on poet pills; )

So I really can't be here right now-are you feeling honored?

I'm so lame-no time to post a pic but eileen I owe you a anniv. pic and it sounds like you had a really nice time! Food is a good thing: )

I also wanted to say Happy Bday to Annie(Ryan sends a kiss-hope your mom won't mind; ).
    V-glad that belly bug is gone-& congrats to your DD!

Michelle & Brenda-I've been hoping the weather cooperates with your farming schedules. Our county was declared to be in a moderate drought and many of the farmers have had to wait to do any plowing-I bet they hopped to it once this latest rain showed up-since it's scattered here hopefully we'll get enough to be out of drought.Such extremes there seem to be. I was dumb and planted annual dianthus and some coleus thinking they'd settle in better with this moisture...didn't think of the cold,duh.

Deanne thanks for your secrets for container growing-the competition will be stiff now that we too know your method to your madness lolol.; ) Hey this weatehr is at least good for the fuchsias,right? We must remain optimistic...I too will have to shuffle plants into the garage like V to keep the buggers from floating away.

Hey V-I am curious to know if that pink coreopsis I gave you for your bday made it through winter...I know it was pushing the zone so I was just wondering...hoping: )

I missed about Nolon-so he does have prostate cancer? My dad did. V, I think that's true that guys of advanced age aren't treated for the reasons your said. I know my dad's treatment(surgery) left him incontinent. Later it became hard for my mom when she had to care for him in that respect. She regretted that they made that choice. I suppose you have to review what gives the best quality of life.
    ((Marian))

I've been enjoying all the great pics from everyone!

OK so am I sounding lucid and calm? Truth be told...I am going to jump out of my skin. I didn't realize Chris' dissert. defense would affect me much(I just have to sit there and look coherent). It's crunch time-he's preparing the talk and rewriting as we all live and breathe.(I'm the kind of person who needs weeks of practice to speak well-he's got to speak for 30 min. about multivariate statistics and things I know nothing about or knew existed!)His evil advisor was up to old tricks by dragging his feet once again as Chris waited to get information needed to finish writing his talk-he didn't get home until 8pm lastnight. I guess you had to be there but the guy is fueling Chris' nerves and mine right about now. The guy is very lucky he'll be attending by conference call(he's in Nevada)..I think I'll make a poster of him and we can throw darts at his image while Chris speaks...THAT would be funny. Alas I am rambling but what hit me today is that over ten years of work is FINALLY going to be over. This accomplishment in the making was like an unruly appendage that followed us through our whole marriage,family illness/deaths,our two kids' formative years...it strikes me that he actually *did* follow his dream and he *is* going to have it come monday.(give or take a couple months to commencement; ) I am so proud of him and today when I said goodbye I thought I was going to cry like a baby. Stress? maybe. I am just really happy for him.

Sorry I don't know why I had to tell y'all that but I guess I just had to: ).

OK now I've gotta go mat artwork for the show,and sew.

~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Things are looking so pretty in the raised rock bed. White daffodils, miniature white iris, lavender and pink creeping phlox and some tulips are all putting quite a nice show.

It got down to 37 last night, but is cool and windy again today. At least the sun is shining.
    Tomorrow is my moms birthday. Laura and I are taking her to lunch at a Tea Room. If the weather cooperates we will also go to a country garden where they hold a plant sale to benefit an unwed mothers home. You can also tour their gardens while you are there. I havent been there, but it sounds like fun.

Deanne,. I should really post a picture of how I protected my plants last night. I have this old kitchen cupboard in my potting area. The doors fell off over the winter and I took the sides off and Im sure its only a matter of time before the whole thing falls apart, but for now I put the trays of plants in the shelves and then draped an old bedspread over the front. It really worked quite well. This a.m. I decided to just remove the bedspread since it is quite windy. I have to keep the process as simple as possible since I dont have time in the a.m.
    I used purple ruffles basil a couple of years ago in some containers. I am growing it from seed again this year.
    I think you have container care down to a science. Your cart sounds very nice. I have a regular 2 wheeled cart with an extra large platform that I move them around with.

Marian, what lovely photos of Idaho. Hey, no problem with the peony Id love to give you a piece. Ill get your address this fall. It isnt nearly as big as other types of peonies. I agree about the cold weather being depressing. Im ready for some nice days. It will probably go right into being hot.

bug, I hear you. That is why I am redoing our vegetable garden, because I am sick of spending so much of my time in there. Ours isnt really all that large, but plenty big for 2. As for containers, Im no expert, but I mix up my own potting mix. Potting soil, compost, sand, Osmocote, moisture crystals and a little peat. I usually design the container for the site I want to put it. Our patio is part sun, the front door is almost all shade and other areas are full sun.
    RE: asparagus, we love it in omelets.

Ei, I got sedum Angelina last summer and I love it. I have already chopped off several chunks and spread them around. I made a succelent container for my mom for Mothers Day and I put a piece in there. I figure that way she wont have to worry about watering it. I got quite a kick out of your robin picture.

Eden, I make rhubarb custard pie too. Maybe I should whip one up this weekend. I was at Walmart last night and found the cutest hoe and rake for Kenzie. They are metal, so she will be able to actually work with them. (maybe not this year) I think helping grow veggies is a great way to get kids to eat them.

Mary, the science museum and planetarium sounds like a really fun but educational field trip.

Cindy, thanks for sharing your fabulous garden. I absolutely love that double pink clematis.

I hope that Deanne and Sue have fun plant shopping and dont get washed away.

Michelle

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Marian-I can't seem to find out from skimming what Nolon needs his prostate meds for.In case I was,I didn't mean to be upsetting mentioning cancer since now I don't seem to see anything actually saying that in earlier posts. Sorry for my confusion: )

Sue I say almost all those things to my kids!too funny...I have to show that to AJ he will be rolling.

I have the procrastinators bug too...hey at least I have ajax cleanser sprinkled all over the bathroom sink...it's supposed for sit for three hours to work,right? hee.Oh just ten minutes...never mind!

~Babs

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

No, Babs. Nolon wasn't diagnosed with cancer, but with an extremely high PSA count. The cause hasn't been determined.
    It sounds ao though you need those hugs worse than I..... ((((((((Babs)))))))

LOL, Sue ! I love it! Actually I never said any of those things, except versions of #s 4, 11, 18, and 23. My mom said something similar to #25.

Michelle, I guess I need to go back and look at the rest of that link....:-) I only saw the one that I posted.
    Okay, we will cross the peony 'bridge' when fall gets here.
    I *would* love to have one. I now have 9 peonies in the front bed, counting "Molly". Five more in other locations.
    I am thinking the very same thing about the weather. I told Nolon this summer will probably be a summer from h_ll.

Marian

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Labeling plants for the sale is a pain. They want all information, like height, colour, exposure...for nepeta and rudbeckia and oulmonaria and all that stuff. Yuck.

I tried hard not to say all those things to my kids Sue, but if you asked them, they'd never claim they had the perfect Mom.

Asparagus omelet! Now maybe that will be lunch tomorrow. I can't convince DH that an omelet is dinner.

Babs, this is thesis time of year here too, from the prof's perspective. Either way, a trying time. But one very nice thing was DH's student who told him he was the best advisor in the whole wide world. That really was important to him. He works so hard for his "kids" and only some of them realize it. This particular lady is a young Iranian mother with a sweetheart husband who also has just earned his degree. On the other side though, is a student who will not listen to what DH says, can't write a sentence, doesn't understand his own project. A real dilemma. DH ends up writing half of it for him just to meet deadlines...because the topic interests him. DD's advisor is a total jerk though, so I fear she may abandon all her years of study at this point. Grump. Maybe I should go scrub cleanser on the bathroom sink now...

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Babs, I would give the Ajax at least 24 hours.

Sue

• just_t
    17 years ago

I've heard that Ajax works best if you just set the container in the room to be cleaned, and not open it. It is something magical and happens only if you never open the container. Try it......What have you got to lose?

Teresa

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Thanks you guys for making me laugh! Too late T,I opened the Ajax! and Sue I didn't leave the stuff on nearly long enough-making mental note for next time. That's what I get for not checking here every hour on the hour; )...I'm pratting(Deanne's word)so bad that I'm making ham & bean soup while not doing all the stuff I'm supposed to. You guys are the influence I need.

Wouldn't you know it,Chris had a fender bender on the way to work: ( He's fine but I know his mind is elsewhere. The ironic thing was that just as he pulled out of the drive I suddenly thought I should have reminded him to keep his mind on driving-maybe if I had he wouldn't have collided(just someone's back bumper-only a scratch). The woman he rear ended had recent knee surgery-I hope that doesn't mean something.

GB,even from a professor's side of Chris' situation this advisor is still a self centered egomaniac and many of the profs were glad that he left for Nevada. On the flip side I have to be glad he's like that since Chris will be taking his place hopefully next year. Ironic.

Where's the vacuum... Maybe I better ask Eden if that's a good idea-I hear they are hazardous.

~Babs

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Evening Idylls!

Are you guys sure its Ajax? I set the container right on top of the toilet, unopened, just like T says...and nothing! Maybe its that "watched pot" thing? Ill check it again in the morning.

LOL! You guys are on a roll today! :-)

Hi Babs! Sorry to hear about Chris fender bender! I can tell that you guys are anxious! Sending positive thoughts that all goes well with the dissertation. I can imagine the stress, anxiety, pride, and relief all rolled up into one big emotion! I would be a bundle of nerves too! Yea, thats pretty admirable, isnt it...following his dream! Good for him! And youre a wonderful partner and support and Im sure Chris knows that and I hope he tells you that a lot too! :-) Congratulations!

Sue got a kick out of your Mother post. Hmm my moms favorite curse to me was "I hope you have a dozen kids and I hope they are all *exactly* like you!" Hmm...whatever did she mean? Oh well, the curse didnt work here, I only had one and he was as good a kid as a mom could hope for, thank goodness!

Marie I love the color of the camassia in your gorgeous pic! My camassia is a periwinkle blue, but I sure would like to add some of that pretty purple one to the mix.

You guys had me puzzled with problems with Camassia. I really didnt think it was that fussy of a plant, so I wanted to find out what its horticulture needs were (maybe I should of looked that up before planting mine?...LOL). Anyway, says they like to be moist before flowering and on the drier side after flowering. I dont know how that works with my planting. Mine are planted in my river bed a/k/a drainage ditch. But the drainage ditch is really only wet some of the time and average most of the time and there is no predicting when that area will be wet or dry. So, I still dont know why Camassia might be hard to grow and/or why they seem to be growing fine where I have them planted.

Marian what a wonderful environment you grew up in. Idaho is *gorgeous*! Thanks for sharing the link....thats a beautiful site with lots of great pictures. I *bet* that marsh is stunning! If you havent seen all the pics on that site you should go back and check it out. Im sure you especially would appreciate it. Im so sorry Nolon is having trouble. Thats a horribly uncomfortable feeling, I can well imagine. I hope he can find some relief, without the worrisome side effects. Sorry to hear youre not feeling well either. Hope you get that bug out of your system soon.

Deanne, I worded it wrong...I *did* know that you repeated the pansy planting again this year. What I was *trying* to say is that it is as lovely this year, as it was last! That really is probably one of my all time favorite partnerships. In fact I was thinking that JM and Pansy pic would make a *stunning* cover for a book on Japanese Maples....with, of course, credit to you...and a little pay would be nice too! Hint hint to anyone out there listening! :-) Beautiful picture! The Purple Ruffles basil is not a big grower..maybe...1&1/2 feet (more likely a foot). Its not the most vigorous grower in the world, but I really like it. I love the color and the sheen is what really makes it special. Wish it were just a tad more robust. Thanks again for the *beautiful* fuchsias and surprise coleus Deanne! Everything is gorgeous. You are quite the propagator. What kind of soil do you use? I like the fact that it is light, but still holds together well. Also want to tell you thank you for sharing your container tips with all of us. Great to hear about your experiences and very generous of you to share all that great information with us. No wonder your plants look so fabulously happy! Who wouldnt be with a caretaker like you?!? :-) I have printed your instructions out...now all I have to do is remember to follow them! :-)

My Love Lies Bleeding seeds never germinated! :-( I am bummed about that! Wanted to plant them in the tubs out front again with the elephant ears. Speaking of which, was it Honey, Deanne, or Norma who grew Black Magic Elephant Ears last year? Im sure it was one of you who posted a pic last year? Anyway, I bought them this year and really like them. Something has me puzzled though...all the leaves that were on the plant when I bought it are truly black, but I am noticing that new leaves that are forming are green instead. Ive been cutting them out for fear the plant will revert to green again, but then started thinking maybe its possible that they dont turn black until they mature? Although, the smaller leaves that had already formed on the plant when I bought it were black. Im confused. Anyway, whoever knows about this plant, do you know if the leaves should be black from start to finish or if it is normal for some of them to start out green?

Ive been thinking about Brenda too...hope alls well on the farm! :-) Hi Brenda if youre out there...come stop and chat for awhile!

V you have to tell us shade deficient people the name of the plants in your pic. I think I recognize the leaves of the trout lily? But, what is the pretty white flowering plant? Or, is that all one type of plant? I love woodland plants - wish I had better conditions for them. Ill have to try that Walgreens site. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Oh well, gotta go! Hope you all have a wonderful evening. I probably wont be able to be back until Sunday or Monday, but hope you all have a wonderful week-end. Warm thoughts and good wishes to Taryn...keeping you, your family & friends in my thoughts and prayers!

Ei

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Whew, the Idylls have been zipping the time away - I missed some good laughs here ....The Mother's Day lessons are great! I've got to show my DD those.

got home last nite in torrents of rain -- and crazy person that I am, as you mentioned, Gardenbug - re peonies & rain - I couldnt bear the thought of my peonies being crushed to the ground - so there I am w/ umbrella & scissors in pouring rain, cutting the big blooms to take in the house!

But I lucked out today - electrician came early, installed the ceiling fan in an hour -- no rain, and I had the rest of the entire day to "play" -- it was squishy out (good for pulling weeds but no real stomping around in the beds -would pack it all down). It's amazing how far things are along arent they?

Yes, the light pink single is Cl. Matka Siedliska (2nd season but full of blooms) -- and Ei, you guessed it -- the double is that floosie "Josephine" -- aka my "sleeper" clematis that I thought died the first year; no sign of it for 2 yrs so I planted Cl. Prince Charles very close by -- & lo & behold, "Josephine" decided to pop up the 3rd yr. & become a "bedmate" of the Prince -- sigh - now I have a T2 & T3 entwined, but am afraid to move them apart....

And yes, the darker red is Niobe - for some reason one of the earliest bloomers for me -- but my Henryii, Julie Correvon & 2 Betty Cornings are both starting now too - apparently they are loving this cool weather. And Im not complaining.

The buds are Thalictrium Black Stockings - isnt it cool w/ the black stems? It's now opened to a fuzzy lite lavendar.

All this talk of pots made me go to 3 nurseries today for container plants -- boy, now I know why you're growing your own Deanne -- they are so amazingly expensive (in this area at least) - there was one new "nursery" that turned out to basically be a depot for "Proven Winners" & Monrovia - everything was their brand -- at this nursery, a 4" pot of coleus or dicondra, or most anything Started at $3.99!!!! Do you guys pay that much for 'em at your area nursery? The local Walmart has been wiped out for a couple weeks - nary an annual about.... so I bought more than I should have (what's new about that, uh?)... Still havent seen a sign of Ajuga Black Scallop in this area - I guess I'll have to go farther "afield" to find some. (Im taking notes re the container maintenance, Deanne, but dont expect to be able to compete re containers with you artists. I just hope not to kill anything!

Gbug- love your veggie garden -- it's looking gorgeous!! Im so envious - I dont think Im even going to grow a tomato this year -- just not enough space -- and probably have too much even for "container" maintenance, too.

And that camassia is so pretty - I have a few plants but they're in weird spot & not much noticed altho blooming. Such a pretty blue!!

Babs - Im sure Chris is well prepped for his "finals" -- it's sometimes harder being on the sidelines, isnt it?

Hey, I hear Ajax or Comet is for the garden!! something about iris, Im sure -- are u using in the house -- for what???? LOL....

Time to kick back - loved seeing the photos - I hope everyone has a great garden weekend (rainy or otherwise)...

--Cindy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Cindy, I have a greenhouse right near work that sells the 4" annual pots for 3.89. If you buy 12 or more they are 3.39ea. That is the best deal around here. They sell all the known varieties and the Proven Winners stuff. I am also able to get Salvia Black & Blue, S. Leucantha, etc for that price. The really unusual plants like Acalpha that come in 6" pots is usually 5 or 6.99. Yes, it's expensive.

We just came in from our first test drive of the hot tub. It was really relaxing in the light rain. The electricians who came to hook it up this morning asked Tom if we just go out in the yard when we feel like going on vacation...lol...that's about the long and short of it-vacation at home. Now we just need to get that area cleaned up with some privacy screening and bluestone and I have another place to put pots.

Poor distracted Chris. Babs, remind him to be careful out there.

OK, time to change into dry clothes and head to bed. My co-worker will be here with her sister for the garden tour at 10 AM. I hope they aren't expecting much. I may try to hit a nursery before that if I can find one that opens early enough.

Nite all!

Sue

• deanneart
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Evening all,

I had another very busy day here and potted up a couple more containers, got a bunch of cannas and dahlias potted up then bought another three huge bags of potting soil. Id completely run out yet again. I need to keep track of how much of this stuff I go through in a season. Im hoping to be able to get the rest of the dahlias and cannas put into soil and under lights tomorrow. Oh yes, I also had to start potting up the little caladium in individual pots. Id put them in trays and a lot of them were sprouting. I think Ive got thirty or so plants going now. Yikes! The box from Sams club had sixty tubers in it and I assumed many of them wouldnt sprout. More of them have already sprouted than I anticipated. Looks like Im going to have a bunch of caladium to tuck around the gardens. Neat!

V, so glad to hear you are over your flu. Yukky about the snow flakes mixed in with the precip. ~~ Congratulations to your DD on her award and scholarship. Well done!

Sue, so is the hot tub up and running??? ~~ No problemo with Tom and the puppies coming up for a visit while we go to Mixed Border. Doug was happy when I told him Tom was going to come up tomorrow. I hope you guys are't expecting a spick and span house. I'll get a few of the chunks off the floors but that is about all I'll have time to do before you get here. LOL about what we learned from our moms. It sounds like my mothers rule book for raising children.

Marian, glad to hear the plants are going well. I ran out of potting soil today too..

Bug I checked out those two coleus and I think I need them too. ROTFLOL I totally agree it takes as much time to clean up the mess from planting container gardens as it takes to plant them. It can be a bit of a challenge this time of the year to keep all the newly planted containers happy. It is either raining and cold or the sun comes out and fries them because we go from a week or two of cold and cloudy weather to an 80degree sunny day.

Babs, no kidding the fuchsia are happy with this weather. Theyre growing like crazy right now. Those new Peggy fuchsia are absolutely smothered with flowers right now. ~~ Ill bet you cant wait to hear positive news from Chris on Monday. Do you have anything special planned for the big day? ~~ So sorry to hear Chris had an accident but glad to hear he is OK.

Michelle, you are so clever to use that old cabinet to keep your plants safe. Yes Id really like to see a pic of that. Do you ever find yourself thinking you doing some weird things to keep your plants happy? I know my neighbors think Im a bit cracked and I dont care one little bit as long as the gardens look nice. LOL

I leave the Ajax on for only five minutes or so. I guess that is why it doesnt work all that well. Ill have to try the twenty-four hour technique Sue uses.

Eileen, I think that fuchsia I sent without a label with the red stems is called Lena. I remembered youd admired a photo of it a while back. ~~ my Black Magic would emerge with green leaves and theyd darken as they matured.

Cindy, great to hear you had a good day in the garden even if it was a bit squishy.

Yea, I just refreshed and saw Sue and Tom christened their hot tub!!! Too cool

Nite all
    Deanne