Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctlavluvr

Idyll #317 The Wellness Idyll

ctlavluvr
16 years ago

Wellness comes in many forms. A new name, a new Park, and vigorous hope for Wellness from continental coast to coast!!

Martie

Comments (101)

• babs_clare
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Happy preMother's day to you moms...and grandMoms-to-be: ) How exciting for you Drema! Good to hear from you...I did smile about you tackling your yard-back to the grind, huh.lol.

So sorry to hear of you losing your friend,'Bug-sorry too that I seem to be finding out these things way past the fact lately-life seems to be going so quickly for me anymore...I miss having the choice to do whatever I want: )

Mary-you really have had so many premature losses among your friends-too many it seems for such a young person!-I hope you are managing OK. I hope soon you will feel comforted by the wonderful memories of your lost friends-I imagine you ache right now.

Chelone-I imagine your BP is running on the high side right about now as you've been having trees removed and all- I know I felt that way when we had our latest tree removed and I never imagined I would be so frazzled by what they tree guys 'might' damage.My heart was in my throat when I saw them trudge right across my emerging astilbe clumps and jack in the pulpit points peeking out of the soil. It happened so fast that the words wouldn't have gotten to their ears fast enough unless of course I let out a blood curtling scream...nope,still not fast enough lol.

Michelle-how are the peas doing? Mine seem to be climbing rather slow but they are about 12 inches high right now. I LOVE asparagus-neat that you go hunting for yours. My dad used to grow it in his garden and I really should try it...it's always the deer strategy that stops me from growing veggies. I'm quite proud that both my boys love asparagus since it does have a distinct flavor-if I add butter and lemon or lime juice they devour it.

Loving the pics from Deanne,'Bug,Kath,Wendy(*Beautiful* walkway!!!!)I appreciate them all so much since I've had little time to post pics let alone take them: ( My irises are starting to bloom. I bought a dicentra spectib. and I am in love with the little heart flowers. It has been a wonderful season for the native ginger plants-tons of flowers on them. It's interesting that while we had such a harsh late winter many plants look phenominal-nature is so peculiar. My peonies that were bent over with that last freeze are standing tall and full of large buds...we need rain now though.

Thoughts to Cynthia-I have been thinking often of how Monty is and you too.

Saucy hang in there.

This is so brief-I have tons I want to say-but I need to get ready to go shopping for M-day gifts.

Have a happy weekend.

~Babs

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Brief here too I'm sorry to say.

BUT this morning's nursery jaunt was especially nice.
    Ever heard of Phyteuma nigra? New to me and I'm in love! The photo isn't great...but you get the idea. I believe Garden's North sells the seed if people like Cynthia are so inclined. I got other stuff too, but with frost tonight, I need to go plan protection for the farm. Maybe a geodesic dome?

• chelone
    16 years ago

Well I'm in for a break. I mowed the lawns for the first time this year and had to use "Meg" (named for the helpmeet's mother), my BIL's mower as our's was late getting into the shop for some TLC. I like my mower better; easier to adjust the height of the mowing deck and the handles are more comfortable to use. I'd forgotten how nice a newly mown lawn smells.

I planted the clematis (had to reset it 3 times, 'bug, before deciding to use a ruler... duh!), yanked out an Echinacea that has never really pleased me and replaced it with a Japanese iris that I hope will appreciate the sunnier location, I was hoping for something that would flower more mid-summer, but am determined to use what I have to better advantage before buying more). I moved a few other things around in that bed, too. I need to do a little scritchy-scratchy to overturn the little weeds and then mulch it (tomorrow). I have decided to screw the handpicking of Lily Leaf beetles. I went right for the spray today, having squished 3 in the past couple of days and having NO desire to jackass around with the destructive little things. I need to scratch some bulb food into the soil and water it in, too (tomorrow). Still to do today is tie up the new clematis, the "Polish Spirit", and a few stragglers on another, "Daniel Deronda/o". I also promise to get some "distance shots" for Michelle. (if I show you mine will you show me your's?).

I drove through town this morning on my "rounds" and was just bowled over by what a pretty community this is! I am so proud of my town and the way so many work so very hard to keep it pretty. The garden club works very hard to beautify corners at intersections and the town has made a point to plant medians with street trees, the effort really shows.

I meant to tell you about the quantity of roots left behind in the hole that formerly contained the Eupatorium... . I'm thankful I moved it when I did, after reading your replies! I put the clematis in that hole, but before doing so used the fork to loosen everything up before digging the planting hole. I pulled out so many roots! it was obviously a very happy camper there. Its new home is in a "wilder neighborhood", next to the pond. I don't care what it does there, but it was too much plant for the terrace garden... . Catastrophe averted (I think).

Time to go hunt up some "strang" (string) and get about trussin' up the clematis! Rex will be thrilled, and the cats have had a blast stalking me and then being "cute".

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Monty has gained weight. Who couldn't on 2400 calories a day? I noticed it in the last few days, his hip bones no longer rise up like saucers on their sides. Thanks for all of your good thoughts for us here at 'Healthcare for Hounnds.' Katie's personality is coming back now and she proves it by rooing to me at 4:30 in the morning with a helicopter tail and a bunch of air snaps between choruses. I have a zero tolerance barking policy but love a melodious rooooooooroooooorooo. Hope everyone elses puppers and kitties are holding their own for now.

It was fun to read that Michelle has a Sutherland Gold because she saw it in Deanne's garden. Deanne saw it my garden. I saw it Home Depot. They get huge if you let them Michelle. I chopped one down last week(in too much shade) to a 5 inch stump because it was getting leggy there. The bottom branches seem to die off. It was 12 feet high before the surgery. This morning, I decided to dig the remains and move it to a sunnier spot. The area where I planted it originally has oddly sandy soil, so easy digging, but the roots (thick as two thumbs) were growing out in three directions just an inch below the surface. The longest one over 5 feet long! I chopped each root to three feet so that I could plant it in it's new spot more easily. It looked like an octopus on land.

Nature deprived as I am so close to civilization, I stood for 15 minutes one day this week watching a flock of huge birds on the neighbor's unmown acre. They were probably turkey vultures not welcome at GB's :-) Too far away to tell for sure, but I'm impressed by any large wingspan. There are some hawks around, but there were too many of these big mamas to be hawks. I didn't want to go in for binoculars as they would have left before I came back, right?

Kathy, your clematis looks like Fireworks (or maybe Dr.Ruppel). I was looking at both this week trying to make a decision on what to plant for the obelisk where the Dicentra scandens died. At least I thought it died this very cold winter. Now I think I see one vine coming up, but could be one of those ubiquitous ground strawberries. Worst weed on my property after poke.

I got the red geraniums moved from old windowboxes to new this morning. I ordered the Gardener's Supply self watering ones this winter. Not sure how well those will work with geraniums (pelargoniums) which like to be dry.

I need to bite the bullet and get the vacumm cleaner into a repair shop TODAY. Spent too much time looking for a place that had a working phone number this week. It's 20 miles away. Makes me want to just buy a new one.

Wendy, the path and wall look great. You must be very pleased! Loving your gorgeous photos as always Deanne. I haven't read much, just skimmed and will be back with a drink later to read details. Just wanted to say 'hi' as it's been a week since I dropped in.

Best to all, Cynthia

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I agree with everyone else, Wendy, that path is great! And how fun to have a new shade garden ready for planting. How about a tall shade plant for the meter - just so you wouldn't see it from the drive, but one that wouldn't obstruct the meter man from his job.

I got my real mother's day present today - my kids joined me outside for cleaning up and mowing the yard and we also put in a new garden which is screaming for plants! They didn't even suspect that I was happier about today than I will be about a gift :) Jake enjoys mowing the lawn at this age and I enjoy the help! Sarah planted up an urn that stays out from hose reach all summer, but looks good filled with portulaca.

I am still waiting on the great turtle trek from the pond to my garden to lay their eggs! It should be any time now.

Waiting on the chartreuse frogs that litter the lawn, too. Oh the joys of spring/summer.

Nick's fishing trip was fruitless. They boarded the vessel at 4am, went out to catch bait and then spent the rest of the afternoon floating around catching nothing! I still hold the record in our house - I caught a sculpin (rock fish) and came home with maybe a quarter of pound of meat! Barely enough for the both of us :)

Babs, nice to see your name :) You too, Cynthia.

I'm really having a rough time of things today. I am going to put my feet in the soaker/massager and try to make my toes sandal ready. Might need some fake tanner for the legs before I'm shorts ready :)

Saucy

PS - where is IU4, did someone say PA?

• ccsuzy
    16 years ago

Hello all.

I've been meaning to post and trying to catch up on reading. Finally made it through the parts I was behind! I must resolve not to get behind with reading any more.

We've had quite a shock here, which is part of the reason I've not posted much. DH has been in pain since Easter. He thought it was back or any number of things, but went on too long so he went to his doctor. Doctor recommended a CT scan and he got the results this past Friday afternoon. Seems he has a rare disease. He'll be in pain the rest of his life, there is no cure and very little to be done except to medicate with pain meds and steroids. There is an awful lot we don't know yet. Needless to say life as we know it has changed drastically in the last couple of days.

At this point I'm trying very hard to stay positive about the whole thing. Right now I can't get my mind OFF it, and I know that will pass in time. It's a bit overwhelming to think about. He's also trying to be positive but underneath I know he has thoughts eating at him also.

We are going out to lunch for Mother's Day. I hope all of you have a lovely day with family so dear. I have a lot of things I want to comment on but I will have to post on those when my thoughts are not so jumbled.

suzy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Suzy, positive vibes being sent your way. Already your attitude seems wonderful. After the shock settles, I think that information and facts will be your best help, but perhaps diet and exercise will also be of help...for both of you! Meditation too works for many. Know that my thoughts are with you! Looking forward to updates.
    'bug

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Thought you'd seen everything? Well odd though the idea was to me, I think these are brilliant! Make sure you scroll down to the bottom of the page too.

• chelone
    16 years ago

I don't wonder your thoughts are jumbled, Suzy! that's a pretty big load to have to shoulder. As more information and facts come to light, you will be better able to form a "game plan" to deal with this. Pain management has come a long way and as 'bug pointed out some of the less "traditional" methods are quite effective. Acupuncture and theraputic massage has helped my boss a great deal with rheumatoid arthritis. Hang tough!

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good sunny Moms Day morning all,

A gorgeous, cool, perfect gardening day is on tap here today and I intend to use every scrap of sunshine available to try to catch up with stuff that is normally done by now. The good news is that Ive finally ruled out a leak in the large lower pond and figured out that the tubing from the pump to the upper pond is leaking, still a pain but less of a pain than having to replace the large pond shell. Im still in the process of removing ALL the rocks from around all the ponds. You can imagine what a pain in the neck that is going to be! But Im determined to get the darned thing functioning without leaks this year.

Yesterday Doug and I went to his sister's and picked up a trailer load of beautifully composted horse manure. Woohoo!!!!! She's had horses for fifteen years and this load was from the first manure pile she started fifteen years ago! Black gold! They have an enormous pile of composted manure and I can have it all. I just have to get up there and pick it up. Only another gardener could appreciate how exciting it is to get a trailer load of well composted manure, LOL.

I finally brought up all the plants from under the lights and they are all outside on the patio hardening off. Heres a pic of about half the coleus babies. So far they seem to be OK on the patio and that is now my new official hardening off location. Ive always burned the heck out of them in previous years by putting them in sun too soon. They only get a brief bit of direct sunlight a day there and thats working out fine. Now the weather gurus are saying we might get temps to 34 tonight so I'm going to pull all the coleus into the dining room, Oh well, C'est la vie.

{{gwi:157263}}

I spent a bit of time playing with the plants now that they are all outside and here is my first official combination for the season. Ill get it potted up today, everything except for the Shadowdancer Marcia fuchsia was overwintered under the lights. The neat thing about this is the Iresine came from Sues, (I got some cuttings from Monique too but this one came from Sues) the Euphorbia Diamond Frost came from Monique and Les, the frilled coleus on the lower left came from Wendy and the Alternanthera Red Threads came from Sue. How cool is that?

{{gwi:157264}}

Suzy, so sorry to hear about your DH. (((Hugs))) to you and your family. As Chelone said, "Pain management has come a long way". I hope you find an effective treatment soon.

Bug!!!! You are too much, where do you find these things??? Those urinals are too beautiful to put in a bathroom!

Hi Saucy, sounds like your family gave you the best Moms day present they could. Help outside and a new garden would be at the top of my list of things that are meaningful to me. ~~ Yes indeed IU4 will be in PA this year. Are you going to be able to join us I hope?

Cynthia, yes indeed, you started the Sutherland Gold rage here on the Idylls and Im so glad you did. I just love mine! Glad to hear that some branch die off seems to be the norm with this shrub. I had a large, lower branch die this spring and was worried that the whole plant would go.~~ Glad to hear that the puppies are doing better! Rahjii is all healed up and back to his old bratty self. It was pretty sad yesterday, he leapt up a tree to climb as he usually does and he fell out of the tree because of the missing sharp ends of his claws. Made me angry all over again. He of course dropped gracefully to the ground and began having a wash like it was his intention to fall out of the tree.

HI Babs!!! How are you doing with the deer damage in the gardens this year and how is your MIL doing? Been thinking of you.

Honey, ROTFLOL!!!! That story is way too funny! I had to read it to Doug and he had a good laugh as well. ~~ I decided to buy a tough as nails Yew yesterday for a problem area in the shade that I absolutely must have a screening plant for. Ive tried several things and nothing has survived there so a Yew it will be.

Wendy, that path is gorgeous and the garden marvelous!!! You must be itching to plant that new bed.

Sue looking forward to seeing your first container of the season. Hope you can zip in here later today.

Mary, love the story about the Russian Tea Room! How special to have that memory.

Kathy, LOVE the container, is that Lime Rickey and the Fuchsia, is that a Shadowdancer? Its already lovely and I know it will be gorgeous when filled in. ~~ that Sally Holmes combo made me twinge with envy. I had a huge Sally Holmes but it died in a bad winter we had several years ago. I had it growing with a Ville de Lyon clematis and the combination was delicious! ~~ Sorry I cant help with the clem ID but its a beauty. ~~ MyLittle Joe gets about six feet tall. ~~ That tag and baggie idea is terrific, you should send that into Fine Gardening.

V. congratulations to your DS! You must be so pleased! ~~ How great that the fotergilla is OK, Mine just leafed out but there is only one flower on it this year. Bummer!

OK here are a couple vignettes in the gardens that Im quite fond of so thought Id share them

This B. Jack Frost is a small piece that came off the division from Sues plant. I tucked it into a holding bed and Im so happy I decided to keep the little piece that fell off. It has turned into a lovely specimen. The main plant is the one that died off last winter. The blue iris came from another gardening friend and I just love it that these two spring beauties bloom at the same time.

{{gwi:157265}}

And last but not least, this Polemonium was given to me by Monique and Les last summer and Eileen sent me the iris a couple years ago when she sent the Molly. I didnt realize it would make such a pretty combination Thanks to you both!

{{gwi:157267}}

And last but not least, I thought youd all get a kick out of this, I went to a roadside nursery yesterday looking for a large specimen of Swingtime as mine are a ways off from blooming and I wanted something for my large urn now, anyway they didnt have a single fuchsia out and when I asked the fellow if he had any he said in a huff, "Well as you know, fuchsias are extremely sensitive to any cold so we wont put any out for another couple weeks." Hmmm. He had flats and flats of large $7.00 coleus out. I wanted to tell him that fuchsia were actually quite hardy and a little cold wont hurt them a bit they just cant take a frost but his coleus are real warmth lovers and if he was going to keep anything in coleus should be it. I just bit my tongue and kept my mouth shut, whats the point?

Have a great day everyone!
    Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

Yeah, 'bug, I want to know how you found that website, too. I showed them to the helpmeet and he thought they were just great; but true to his teutonic heritage he was concered that placed in a restaurant or bar setting an inebriated fellow might inadvertently spracy the wall... . I think the chambered Nautilus is my favorite, with the other shell a close second. Dontcha just love that the world is so full of creative people?

Deanne, I love the combinations you posted, are your Iris blooming already or is that shot from last year? I know what you mean about faulty "advice"... the sweet young thing at the nursery assured me the clematis I purchased really wanted to be planted higher than it was growing in the pot! I haven't purchased ANY annuals yet, the thought of dragging them in and out of the house wears me right out... you are definitely "hard core".

Cynthia, I want to know what you're feeding the Monty-man to get 2400 calories into him. You must be relieved to see him filling out; how old is he and what is his prognosis (if you can talk about it)? I laughed at the roooorooo... , Rex will do that if I give him the raised eyebrow and the devil laugh. :) He has a truly arresting bark, too; but that's valued in working breeds and he's pretty good about obliging me when I say, "Quiet", or "Cool it, willya?". Good to know Katie is returning to her usual self. Tell me, how is Dannie doing in her obedience class; are you noticing an increase in her confidence?

What fun it is to see how others have added plants recommended by Idyllettes! I think that's just great and many of the plants are things I've never heard of... most of the stuff here is pretty "basic" and my goal this year is to simply reorganize it for greater effect. And arrive at solutions to gaps in bloom throughout the season. You guys amaze me with you ingenuity.

I've begun noting the sunlight patterns where the garage will go. At 8 AM the area is shaded, by 9 AM it's in full sun. The wildcard will be the height of the garage and what that will do the light on the east side of it. Rex has decided he very muchs like hanging out on Sanitary Ridge now. He can bask in the sun and the loss of the trees provides him with an obstructed view of the road and any potential marauders to his "territory". The cats, however, are less than thrilled the loss of "jungle".

I loved Saucy's Mother's Day gift. Sounds as though you had a lovely day. Keep us posted on the turtle trek; and what are the little green jobs on your lawn? I get the brown ones with the dark "mascara", but only in the late fall. Interesting.

Nice to see Babs., too. It's hard to keep up here when you're busy with LIFE, isn't it? I've wondered about your MIL, too and how she's doing. I have Dicentra spectabilis all over the place here. They are so pretty, aren't they? My favorites are the white ones though they're not nearly as vigorous. They make me smile.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

This guy I've exchange emails with posted it on the GB forum. As I said there, it reminds me of Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party, a 70's display of feminist art that surely reveals my age....

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Happy Mother's day to all! Whether you have skinkids or furkids or plant babies.

Suzy, yes the mind puts all it's energy into the important things at times of stress and hard to think of anything else. Don't know what your husband's disease is, but a year ago a friend learned that she had rheumatoid arthritis, a truly crippling disease (different than osteoarthritis). It was a very tough time. My warmest thoughts to you and your husband that his pain can be controlled and the farm can be managed.

Deanne what lovely and meaningful combinations of friends and plants you shared this morning :-)

Good observation on the D.spectabilis Chelone. In spite of the rampant self-seeding, I have exactly one white Dicentra, the rest red. I move the babies around every year since all of my gardens have shade, and wait a few years for bloom to find all of the babies are red. Perhaps the white ones are sterile.

I made it to the vacuum repair place yesterday and lucky me, it was just 2 tenths of a mile down the road from a huge nursery I rarely frequent. The nursery was so busy that they had police in the parking lot directing traffic. I thought I'd look for the clematis I need, so fought the crowds but found very limited selection in the clem department. I did pick up six salvia leucantha, an artichoke and a Sweet Million cherry tomato. The artichoke is for my humongous white urn on the landing step to back yard. I try something new there every year, and last year had a grass in it thinking it would survive the winter. Not.

Stopped at Home Depot for variegated plectranthus for the window boxes and found a pineapple plant! Looked like a great pot plant to me with spikey blue leaves, very agave looking :-) Picked up a few herbs too.

Babs, my heart sank when you told about tree people putting their feet on emerging astilbe and jack in the pulpit. I'm always in a panic when having anything done outdoors and with the fence crew in February showed them where to walk and tried to learn spanish overnight.

Saucy, it is good to see you posting again! The business sounds terrific and I expect it will be very successful. Loved the story about the hole in the roof and the need to establish yourself as a company that cares.

Kathy didn't do sign off with gorgeous garden photos last night. I wonder where she is?

It's a perfect 55F here this morning, and windows wide open for a while with crisp air pouring in. We finally got some rain. The earth has been cracking from drought, but I don't see puddles this morning, so we still need more. I ran soaker hoses in back yesterday and need to turn the water on in the front today. Lawn needs mowing again too :-(

Enjoy your day! Cynthia

• deanneart
    16 years ago

A quick check in here, have your heard my 'Woohoos' and 'Ye-haws' of great delight!!!!! Well here is the deal, I finally, finally found the PERFECT way to winter over the dahlia tubers. Every single tuber of the hundreds of dahlia tubers I have, came through the winter PERFECT!!! I can hardly deal with it I'm so happy. They are all plump and have growing 'eyes'. Incredible! So here's the deal, after the frost killed off the top growth, I dug them up, washed them off with the jet on the hose, really well. Left them to dry out in the sun. Packed them no more than one large clump or two smaller clumps in plastic grocery bags with about a gallon of peat. Tied off the tops of the bags but there is still some air getting in because they aren't tied off tightly. Then I stored the bags in some very large rubbermaid type, plastic, under-bed storage boxes. These also don't seal airtight, they were cheap ones I got from Christmas Tree Shoppes. Anyway, I just stacked the boxes in the shelves in the basement and because I've been so busy with the birds all winter/spring I never potted them up. I just took them outside today and voila! I didn't even check them once the entire winter and not one of the tubers rotted or dried up. What I did different this year than in previous years is wash the tubers off with the hose instead of letting them dry off and then brushing all the excess soil off. When I washed them off I was able to make sure I got rid of any bad tubers or any wireworms that might be on the freshly dug tubers. I sometimes missed them when I just brushed off the dry soil. Also storing the bagged tubers in the plastic boxes kept them from drying out over the winter. Anyway, I was so excited that I thought I'd share that with you all.

So, now I have to run out and get those puppies planted in the freshly turned over, composted bed. What fun!

Chelone, those pics were taken yesterday and yes those little dwarf iris are blooming now. They bloom before the big bearded iris. I have four different kinds of them and they really are gems, are easy and multiply like crazy. Every gah-den should have some. LOL I'll throw in a couple when we meet for the Perovskia switch. ~~ LOL about 'hard-core' I'm either that our out of my mind. tehe.

Cynthia, What kind of plectranthus were you looking for? I've got a few varieties adn love them all. I've had a pineapple plant in the past and it was great fun and I agree a terrific scuptural plant to use in containers.

OK off to plant and move very big rocks
    Deanne

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Yes! Happy Mother's Day to all!

What a day I have had! My present (arranged by sneaky husband and children) was that I got to dig the perennials of my choice from my neighbor's perennial garden business! My new garden looks great now!

Other mothers might grimace and think "she had to dig her own plants" but I know you all will appreciate the fine mature plants that I got of my own choosing :)

And the kdis are helping me pot up the deck and get the furniture clean and ready for dinner tonight!

This is a great day!

Suzy, I hope you and your husband find more information soon. I always feel a comfort come over me when I have a plan in place.

Gotta go eat fast so I can get back outside.....

Saucy

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Eating fast here too. Caesar salad with left over grilled chicken. One of my favorite things any time of the year. When I was digging about outside, I remembered that I hadn't even said: Welcome back Martie!!!! I can't figure out your new name though. All I come up with is Connecticut lavatory lover :-)

Deanne, excellent method for the Dahlias! That must have felt terrific to discover everything had made it through. I don't do Dahlias (need sun drat), but love the photos that you and Honey and others post of them in late summer. They're a wonderful plant.

The HD stop was just for plain old variegated plectranthus. I don't waste room in gh over-wintering that, but really love it trailing from the window boxes, and I use it under the brugs. Have 20 pots of 'good' (vertical) plectranthus from cuttings (types like hilliardiae red, mona lavender) that were in gh all winter, and a bunch of who knows what kind from Chiltern's mixed seed. Plectranthus have been a long time love for me. Probably because of all this durn shade.

Saucy, that's a great gift, you must have felt like a kid in a candy store. When you come back, tell us what you scored please??? I'm glad you're having a wonderful day with your family.

I've been trashing things in one of the back gardens to get things looking a little more orderly. The problem with growing from seed is that I just love to grow and and end up with stuffed gardens that turn into messy looking gardens. This is definitely my year to edit things.

Need to hit Sam's club for more potting soil, as I've been potting up Brugs and seed grown petunias (separately)all morning. I love the scent of petunias at night, and regardless of the dead-heading will always have a pot or three of them for the scent :-)

Back to it ~ Cynthia

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good afternoon

Happy Mothers Day one and all! I'm having a glorious one here - an early morning trip to the "Flower days" at the public market with two friends. I had a fantastic time picking up some unusual things at wonderful prices. They included a variegated sweet autumn sage and toffee colored grass. When I walked in the door David was set up with his guitar in the kitchen waiting to serenade me. Annie had written me a poem and tonight DH is cooking his grandmother's recipe of Beef Strogonoff. I had said no money on gifts and what I recieved were the very best kind of presents.
    I've been playing in the garden all day. Annie has a musical practice and the boys played a round of golf together. I just came in for a quick cup of tea and read of the Idylls and hope to finish off some mulching before supper.

Suzy - the news about your DH is heartbreaking. That is my worst fear - that someone I love will be in pain and I will be unable to help them. You sound as though you are approaching things with the best possible outlook. I agree that there are many options to explore and I'm sure you will be a tremendous comfort and support. Please know we are all here if you need to talk things through, vent, share what is happening or simply talk about something unrelated. Here is a big hug (((((((Suzy)))))))

Well, my mulch pile calls

Mary

• saucydog
    16 years ago

So no pots on the deck were planted but they were planned...things got hectic once Nick came home.

Okay Cynthia, here's my list:

Nepeta "six hills giant" (the cat has already laid on it)
    Leontopodium alpinum "Edelweiss"
    Platycodon grandiflora
    Shasta Daisy "Alaska"
    Bachelors Button
    Peony of undetermined color
    Delphinium - a large "blue" variety
    Salvia Pratensis "pink delight"
    Campanula "sarastro"
    Papaver Atlanticum
    Gallardia "burgandy"
    Baptisia

As you can see, I had no rhyme or reason going into this...just dug and hoped for the best. I will rearrage when I can see the results. I also have a viburnum in there - my favorite shrub! Forgot the name already :)

Then I went to HD and acquired "Wisley TM Clematis". I bought this as an impulse....says it blooms blue/purple blooms from spring to fall....LOL...the PERFECT plant, huh?

From my neighbor I also got some bronze fennel for my pots on the deck as well as the usual suspects: sweet potato vine with heart shaped leaves in black and green, and annual salvia in pink.

Chelone, I tried to look up our little frogs for you. I think they are pretty common but ours seem to have a chartreuse green gene. It was explained to my by a somewhat expert that if a gene such as color runs in a small area, then eventually everyone (or every frog) becomes the same color. Make any sense?

I've just finished my first vodka and pomegranate....does it show?

Saucy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Saucy, you are particularly cute after vodka with pomegranite. :-)

I love your list. I'd add mine if I could remember everything... Here are some of my Mother's Day trip purchases:
    - an unusual lamium...pink
    - 3 epimediums
    - a pinkish fern
    - another dark sambucus
    -*** a small Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'***
    - some deep blue woodland phlox

and more things I'll add when I remember!

No money left for groceries....Good thing asparagus is in season in our garden now.

See you tomorrow!
    'bug

PS: Hey! It's 8:30 and still bright enough to see what I need to finish outdoors for a little while!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Nice lists! Saucy, you chose well, and I looked up that clem, it is a repeat bloomer and a gorgeous shade of blue. Good list from GB too. If that Acer 'Full Moon' isn't hardy enough for you, ship it here, I've wanted it forever! Mary, what is variegated sweet autumn sage? Sounds yummy. this is all I could find:

"Salvia greggii Rachel (Variegated Autumn Sage): A yellow variegated sport of Salvia greggii with white flowers. Destined to be rare or extinct. Named after Rachel Emrick because its blonde and odd."

Here's my boring list from a side trip to Lowe's after hitting Sam's club for potting soil.

1 Miss Kim Lilac (Late bloomer and foliage is neat and to the ground when mature. Stays small.)
    2 Hosta Pizzaz
    1 Hosta Frances Williams (have one in back, and this one is for the front.)
    1 Clematis HF Young for the bare green obelisk. But now I want Saucy's clem!

The hosta are for a front bed I extended under an old red Japanese Maple last fall.

Back to my pina colada. What a lovely day!

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Happy Mother's Day to all! Here's what I did today:

{{gwi:157268}}

Please excuse the poor quality; since my good camera is currently in Rome (where it was 80 today) this photo was taken with DH's camera phone. Anyway, we put in our "moon garden" behind the wall of the firepit. There are three dwarf fothergillas and three Hydrangea Limelight, as well as a bunch of white-blooming annuals. Perennials to come later.

I did some speed-reading as I was scrolling down and need to tell 'bug that she's not all that old, as I went to see The Dinner Party when it was on display in Chicago. Very cool, and yes that bathroom fixture made me think of it also.

V.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Extremely windy here and I hate wind. It also hit 90 again. The emerging new leaves dont like lots of wind and hot temps.

Suzy, sorry about your DHs disease, Im sure it is very disappointing for both of you. As others have said, I hope that he is able to manage the pain.

Deanne, Rahjiis fall from the tree and then acting like it was intended reminds me of Kenzie. She fell in the grass and while she was down she grabbed a June bug and stood back up and began examining it.

Another thing that she was up to was picking dandelions, she calls them her "fowers" and she is absolutely obsessed with finding them. I mentioned to DD that dandelions can stain clothing. Her reply was that I was the one to blame for Kenzies obsession with flowers. LOL

The card I got from her today reads:

Grandma-
    The world is a big, pretty garden
    Where families blossom and grow
    And grandmas are butterflies,
    Bringing big smiles and sunshine wherever they go!
    Thanks for making my world
    Such a fun and happy place!

Happy Mothers Day!
    Love, Kenzie

Inside was a butterfly on a spring and she promptly told me that it was a "butterfly" In case I didnt know.

DH took me to the nursery and I got several coleus and a couple of pelargoniums. One I picked and one Rick picked. He went for flowers and I went for foliage. I also got a couple of Rex begonias. The one I had last year did so well in the house.

It sounds like Im not the only one who spent time at a nursery today. Im glad that everyone seemed to enjoy the day.

Michelle

I'll leave you with a picture of the little sweetie in time out.
    {{gwi:157270}}

And something from my garden:
    {{gwi:157271}}

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Hi ho everyone ! The radio station is playing Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Its about 70 degrees inside and out. Happy M-day to those that participate. I dont really do M-day. For some reason I just find it very contrived , and cant really get into it..I told my children many years ago that I would prefer to just let Mothers Day slide by- no requirements on their part. Oddly this seems to be hard for them.

Mary, How I loved your story of the Russian Tea Room. Its been many years since I watched Dr Zhivago. Love those David Lean films.

Wendy, your path turned out great ! And such nice virgin planting area as a result.
    I have been wanting to acquire some of the Spacecoast daylilies. Im waiting for my new ones this year too bloom-all have scapes . I go out and peer at them daily

Cynthia greeting from another ailing pet household. How nice that Monty is bulking up. I did a search at Chalk Hill, which is the source for my Clematis and I am thinking it is "Carnival"
    I grew up with Irish Setters..they dont win any doggie IQ awards but they always had personality plus. We had one female named Regan ( not after Ronnie, but after one of King Lears daughters) and she was a rooo-er. We called her Roo-roo Regan. She was the sweetest thing. She died of bloat..so senseless.

Suzy, what a challenge for you and DH..I hope you can find solutions that will help.

Deanne, what a display ! I cant imagine over wintering all that stuff.-but I bet you spent a lot less on buying coleus this spring than I did ! And yes, in the container is Shadowdancer Violette, but the Heuchera is Key Lime PieNice job on the Dahlias-we dont have to dig ours up here. The issue we have is not cold, but instead standing water. I had to replace many this winter because of our heavy rains the previous year.

Chelone, I now use a push mower on what is left of my lawn.. Mowing tasks are extremely brief. The fragrance is quite grand, but now I also enjoy the whirr of the push mower blades, a sound from my childhood when many people did not have power mowers.

Time to turn in for me- enjoying all the pics and spring stories !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    16 years ago

Good morning to my far flung gahdenin' buddies. I was all tuckered out yesterday and I didn't do very much hard physical labor; fat and out of shape, I suppose. I gave all the terrace beds a shot of fertilizer, scratched bulb food over the lilies (need to water it in today), AND managed to get 3 of the 4 peonies staked! I loathe doing that particular chore and therefore tend to postpone it... only to find myself racing against predicted heavy rains to keep them from eating mud. (I have to deal with the poppies next...). I'm wondering about what to lift and divide today?

I am growing increasingly envious of the posted plant lists. :/ . Saucy, I can't imagine a more perfect gift for you! what a lovely and touching gesture from your family; that's what it's supposed to be all about. I am not familiar with Leontopodium alpina, maybe you'll post a shot of it sometime? And very cool about the lime green frogs... imagine that your very own "regional amphibian"... maybe they could put a picture of it on the town signs?

Michelle, Kenzie looks less that thrilled with her position in the photo above. What was the transgression? trampling your "fowers"? ;) When do I get to see some distance shots of your gardens? I took some more shots for you yesterday, but will wait until the camera is full before posting them. They include the devastation on the north side of the house and the Sanitary Ridge garden.

V., I can't wait to see your moon garden mature throughout the season. I believe it was you who mentioned a natural swimming pool some (few hundred!) posts back? what's up with that?

Cynthia, my white Dicentra spectabilis do reseed. I have always had then in the front beds here and every year there are several volunteers, generally coming up in between the rocks that edge the bed (for ease of transplanting). But they don't reseed nearly as ramplantly as the pink ones, nor do they ever achieve the size. My "Frances Williams" reseeds like crazy, too. Sadly, the seedlings never sport the lovely varigated leaves of mama... .

I meant to tell Kathy that I'm very impressed with her ziplock bag idea for retaining the name tags for her plants. Those tags are perpetually heaved out of the ground here in the winter, they fade, and become brittle and I am left without really knowing exactly what something is years later. You should submit that one! And my congratulations to Deanne (the horder) on the successful Dahlia technique. Don't you just LOVE it when you come up with simple, successful solution to something?

Missing Eden, Taryn, T, and can't wait to hear what Martie was up to in "the Park" over the weekend. Time to fold laundry and do the dishes now.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

No time for real catch-up for me yet today, but I seem to recall seeing that the first of many May birthdays has hit us today, hasnt it?

Happy Birthday, T -- hope you're playing & planting in your curvey beds:

{{gwi:157272}}

--Cindy

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

ok, so now I figured out Im 2 days early to wish T a birthday-- I better stop the turbo skims & look at typos! LOL.... well, nothing like working up to grand displays....
    lunch will be spent trying to really read here - I see lots of great pics tooo.

-cindy

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

I'm on vacation! I think Sunday was sweeter because I knew I wouldn't work today. Well I worked for two hours this morning and will do so everyday but Friday, just makes it easier when I return if I can keep a hand in and avoid any wrong turns made while I'm out.

And it is a gorgeous morning here still in the 50s so far. Michelle is that an Angelique tulip against ground phlox? Beautiful photo! And love the devil child pose :-)

Kathy, I love a push mower, but still too much grass here for that. Too many gardens too. Both are work I love to do, but in the spring with everything needs doing, I want some of the heavy equipment T, the not-quite-yet-birthday-girl has. Hey Cindy, it was a good reminder to stand back for the flood of birthdays in the next few weeks, but you don't need an excuse to post a pretty photo. Love the color of your tulips!

V, I thought there was a mist on the moor, not a bad camera. Fothergilla and Hydrangea limelight very nice choices! I have 3 of the limelight in my front garden and they do well in my mostly shade, so should be stunning in the full sun position you've given them.

Yes where is Eden? Where is T? Taryn is more like a cameo visitor lately, so I worry less about her. Eden, thinking good thoughts for you, your mum, and your daughter. T is likely surrounded by grandchildren and Elk :-)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Big disappointment here...my garden friends canceled on me..for very good reasons, but I was hoping we could work together on removing spreading raspberries, a job I can't manage alone.

Oh well, I'll share a few recent acquisitions.
    Epimedium Saxton's Purple.
    {{gwi:157273}}

Phyteuma nigrum with twisty stems
    {{gwi:157274}}

Lamium Orvala
    {{gwi:157275}}

Asarum splendens
    {{gwi:157276}}

Pink Tiarella
    {{gwi:147070}}

Burgundy Lace (Japanese Painted Fern)
    {{gwi:157277}}

Veratrum nigrum -should grow a tall dark spike
    {{gwi:157278}}

Yes, T's birthday comes soon...as I learned by jumping the gun last month! Also Yeona's is soon?

It is cold here. I even turned up the heat. Thunderstorms predicted, and a tough day at work (known as "the shoe factory" here) for DH.
    DD phoned last night to share all the new plants she bought for her many projects. She did WELL! Jack Frost, hostas, Alaskan ferns, Siberian iris, Festuca glauca 'Elijah Blue', a dwarf cedar, giant solomon's seal, a cimicifuga, etc etc etc!!! (LMLD..Like mother, like daughter)

Michelle, I remember feeling insulted if someone tried to take my photo when I was in tears...decades ago. Recently we bought a book for DGS, about a child during "time out". I really love that book! Can't remember the title now, but it was in poem form. Adorable photo!

Time to get going here...
    'bug

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Trying to play catch up here lots was going on obviously I worked really hard for 2 days in the gahdens that was my Mothers Day present to myself (I postponed DDs offer of dinner to next weekend) so I could avail myself of the glorious weather we had here in VA). Got lots done & the roses, iris, peonies, are all starting to pop my very favorite time of year. This next week should be fantastic esp. after Tuesday when we have a 1-day burst of 80s and then back to 60s and 70s. This is the coolest May I recall in recent years, but Im not complaining I think overall, the plants and I both enjoy it!

First off, SuzyIm so sorry to hear about your DHs diagnosis to echo other Idyllers, I hope you can find some helpful cutting-edge info re pain management possibilities and alternate treatments. The power of the internet is truly an amazing thing you may find there is someplace doing some sort of great research on the disease that could be helpful. I hope you can maintain your good attitudes and a positive outlook, hard as it may be.

Wendy I love that new path & raised bed glorious Id be so tempted to try some hard to keep Mediterranean type plants but it sounds like not much sun there, uh? Im sure youll find lots of cool things to plant just watching photos here.

Mary what wonderful memory youve got of that relationship something to comfort you in this sad time. Its nice to know you had such fun! I hope those memories give you solace & offer a wee bit of consolation to fall back upon.

Michelle love that time-out shot its hard not to laugh at them when they look so adorable but "bad" isnt it? What a treasure!

Kathy I love that combo of Eden (glorious looking rose) and Sally. Superific!!! Sounds like youve got some interesting travel coming up Im sooo envious of vacation to Portland hopefully to see some luscious gardens while youre there. What a gardening Mecca.

Deanne its truly amazing all those cuttings you overwintered so well & look so lush and fantastic!! Its really a shame you dont have room for a full greenhouse I cant imagine the glories youd keep if you had that type of operation! The container is stunning as usual the first of many we are going to be graced with I hope? I confess I have only a few things so far to put in containers I resisted the urge to go out yesterday & start hunting for things I figured the places would be over-run w/ customers for M-day event. I postponed it til next weekend but I am itching to do some now Ive got most other things "under control" for the moment in the larger beds.

I love the lists of things people have put here.

Gardenbug wow that is a cool plant. And your DD is obviously blooming like her Mom w/ all the zeal & enthusiasm shes putting forth for her new garden and in her condition whew I just remember being terribly tired for the last couple of months & no energy and no sleeping thru the nite how she even contemplates things like canoeing and re-doing landscaping is truly impressive and a testament to her condition and stamina just like her Mom obviously.

Cynthia 6 plants of salvia leucantha wow, you must have an impressive place for that number as I imagine they get pretty large here in this area? Ive thought about trying to add to my place somewhere its such a beautiful salvia, Id love to see it be hardy here (but I guess if I can get a couple of dahlias to overwinter in the ground, it might be worth a shot to see what of these would). They are such a late, great bloomer. I look forward to seeing it in your gardens heres hoping youre getting a new camera too very soon! We miss seeing them and the furbies too. Im glad both your chicks are doing better.

V that is indeed a sin that your camera is better traveled it should be rectified a.s.a.p! However, its amazing what camera phones will do in a pinch I love what a sanctuary youre making of the firepit. Thats going to be just lovely this summer. Nice to see you posting photos! I saw an HGTV show makeover that made me think off y our place the wonderful ferns, etc., under your deck that was what this fancy designed did for someones under-deck problem Im sure you did it first! Yours was more artfully done too w/ the hostas, etc.

Count me in on the pushmower owners but since it takes me about 10 mins to mow the 2 strips Ive got you get the pic it surely is more handy than pulling out a gas or electric fancy thing.

bug your latest shots are making those things go on a wish list very very cool plants! Sorry our buddies bailed; Its going to be cold here too it was in low 40s last nite; I yanked back in some houseplants I had audaciously repotted & put on the patio yesterday; I think Ill wait til the weekend to try again. Again, you are reminding me that Ive got to practice w/ my camera just to figure the macro out properly. . . . . o to be home enjoying the day, weather and gardens.

Well, hopefully Im caught up and not ahead of myself (re birthdays) again. . . . . It is interesting how many Idyllers are May borne.

So, just because were into photos, Im adding another feeble one of mine:

--Cindy

{{gwi:157279}}

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Had a rough afternoon here. Had the police at my house over a bus incident with my son involved. An apology letter is in the works, and thankfully he wasn't involved in the worst of it...his big mistake was not listening to that voice that says, "don't do it." He was a victim of 13yo peer pressure....a pretty tough place to be. I hope that we don't lose our bus priveleges....it's a long walk to school!

Cindy, I love your fence....I think they call it a good neighbor fence because it is pretty on both sides. I'm shopping for fences all the time now. My neighbor has yippy dogs and I would like to have a clean backdrop to my yard.

GB, those are fantastic pictures. What sort of camera do you have? I'm shopping for those, too, LOL!

My brain is fried over all the hoopla here. I'm gonna settle down and try to get sleepy.

Saucy

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Evening all,

Well had my annual docs visit today, yukky. Glad thats over with for another year. Ive got to start taking more calcium, osteopenia in the hips. She felt that probably the extreme dieting of the last few years has something to do with the bone loss. Jeesh, cant win for losing. ~~ Im finally feeling like Im making some headway with the gardens and will hopefully get a few containers planted tomorrow. Also am hoping I can get the dahlias planted up tomorrow. ~~ Yesterday I had a lovely visit with Sue, Im so happy she had the time to stop by on her way home, we cracked a lovely bottle of chilled chardonnay and had a terrific visit. Ill tell you all, youd never know she had major surgery a few weeks ago. She looks great!

Saucy, so sorry about the problems with DS! I remember those teenage years and as a matter of fact, my DD lost her bus privileges in the middle of January and of course the temps were below 10 degrees the entire ten days. I did NOT drive her to school but would drive over after she got there to make sure she got there OK. It was worse for me than for her. ~~ What kind of fence do you think youd like to get?

Cindy, lovely photos. Love the architectural elements on the fence. Very neat!~~ RE greenhouse, in my dreams!!! I sure wish I had room for one. That would be marvelous.

Bug terrific photographs! Great finds! That Asarum and Tiarella are lovely.

Kathy Im insanely jealous, you dont have to dig your dahlias????!!!! Wow, another in my dreams situation. I cant tell you how much time I spend on digging and storing then replanting my dahlias.

Michelle, love the pic of Kenzie!!! What a great photo, She is just going to love that one in years to come. LOL !! Love the pic with the Angelique tulip. I used to have a couple lovely clumps of them but the darned rodents took them out.

V, great Moon Garden! Id love to sit in the evening at your fire pit. Looks wonderful.

Great plant lists everyone!

Here are a couple pics from this evening. The first three are a few more combinations Im working on for my containers.

{{gwi:157280}}

{{gwi:157281}}

{{gwi:157282}}

This is one of the projects we completed on Sunday. My old Rhododendron got shovel pruned and I found this Minnetonka at our local nursery. It is supposed to be more cold hardy than the larger leaved varieties and also stay a bit smaller. Well see how it does. Also, if you notice that huge rock in the wall, that came from the garden in the corner where the wisteria tree is. Doug got it out of there a couple weeks ago and we decided to add it to the rock wall in this island. We moved that rock about 100 feet (uphill) then dismantled the old wall and got this one in place. Im really happy with the result.

{{gwi:157283}}

The wisteria is about to put on the best show of its life. Im so pleased I can hardly stand it.
    {{gwi:157284}}

OK everyone, have a great evening. Im about to get myself to bed so I can get up and put in a full day in the garden tomorrow.

Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

The Asarum splendens is just yummy, 'bug. I have mats of the Asarum europeum here, it reseeds itself everywhere, even next to the driveway where it's shadiest. Great plants. And so many other pretty additions to gardens. It's such an exciting time of year.

I worked in the island bed out back yesterday. I trimmed up the Annabelle hydrangea, and realized I could start 2 more from places where the canes have rooted themselves. Then I rearranged part of my Sibirian iris collection for better effect ;). I rescued some Chelone that was being engulfed by the hydrangea and moved it to a hole where I hope it will establish a new beachead. And I moved a Kirengeshoma to a more forward position where I hope it will adjust. And I have to throw in the towel on the poor Kalmia, I'm afraid, so tomorrow I will try to locate something more appropriate for the site (morning sun and rich, very moist soil)... I'm thinking of a Clethra.

I have struggled withe Kalmia and the Rhodos the past couple of years. It has been so wet and the site they occupy has proven too damp, I fear... the Rhodo. has leaves that are yellowing badly and the soil is acid here and there is adequate sun. I just love them, too, so I'm saddened that I've let them down. :(

I've also passed a gardening milestone, my friends. I no longer feel compelled to save everything! I have pulled Pulmonaria that has grown rampantly with impunity. Yesterday I stripped away long runners of Sweet Woodruff away from the Chelone and sent it to the compost pile with nary a second glance (buried it, too!).

It's still too cool to think about containers here; Deanne, I believe you're about a week/week and half ahead of me. I'll be content with getting the windowboxes planted by Memorial Day.

We began splitting firewood yesterday! no kidding. We dispatched roughly 3/4 cord before the chainsaw conveniently crapped out. But the amount of wood we have generated with the slash and burn part of the garage is staggering. I noticed the first wave of bugs are now out. Mostly the tiny wave of blackflies we endure before the waves of mosquitos arrive for the rest of the summer.

Saucy, how long may Jake lose his bus priviledges (if in fact, he does!)? Would it be for the rest of the year of into next, too? that doesn't seem practical from a punishment point to view to me. Good for you about the letter of apology! nothing like "eatin' a little crow" to really make the point, is there? You poor thing, you must have just about died when the cops showed up at your door... what's that line from "Finding Nemo"? "Good feelin' gone!". Hang in there, screw ups teach valuable lessons and become the stuff of humorous anecdotes with time. ;)

More I'd like to comment on, but work calls. Cynthia, would you please enjoy your days of liberty for me, too? I have to wrestle with a very large canopy today... and an indecisive boss.

Later, everyone.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Chloe! Gosh, she is so little she makes the fence look 8 feet high. Cindy, you should have clems everywhere with so much fence. The S.leucantha are always in the herb section and mere sticks, so 6 are needed to make any kind of display for summer end.

Like Chelone, I too have reached the 'throw it' stage. I don't want to disclose what has been bagged and thrown. Not even composted for fear these things would grow and then I'd transplant them. Chelone, Rhodos love acid soil, the yellow leaves would indicate not acidic enough right? Can't believe you killed a Kalmia in Maine. They are the state shrub in NH and grow wild. Another one that loves acid. I failed with it here because it's too hot.

I had a lovely day yesterday. Transplanted the spiral aloe to a larger pot, and the sempervirums. Quite an exercise as both had filled the openings of their previous homes, so I was afraid I'd ruin them getting them out. Now only the agapanthus and the variegated agave remain to challenge me. The nice part of carrying things over in pots year to year is that the specimens get really large and impressive. The not nice part is that they need transplanting and it's a challenge to find the right pots and get them moved. I bought two non-pots for yesterday's exercise and spent way too much time drilling holes in them without breaking the pots. Today will be easier as I'll just do the impatiens pots near kitchen door and the hangars for outside that door and the gh door. The real accomplishment, besides a bunch of 'weeding' of my mistakes, and transplanting things here and there was clipping Katie's nails. Everyone else is trimmed on Sunday's but every other week is the best I can do with Katie, and her nails looked like 3 weeks of growth.

I have a dentist appt at noon, which means I can't get dirty this morning. Kathy, I'm the queen of perio and had the equivalent of a new car in my mouth a few years ago. I had a bunch of perio surgery and two implants and now having the third which I put off since there were other things to spend money on for a few years. The molar that will be replaced is comfortable, but there's no sense in waiting for the pain, so I'm biting (ha ha) the bullet on that one.

Bug, that Phyteuma nigrum is very interesting! I meant to comment on it when you first mentioned it. Thanks for sharing the photos of your acquisitions.

Deanne, that rock is so perfectly placed. Wow! And in the first photo, is that a Euporbia 'Diamond Frost' in the background? I bought a small one and gave it it's own pot. If it does well, I'll carry it over.

Saucy, Sorry about the hoopla, but better they act out and learn the lesson when they're young. This too will pass :-)

Later, Cynthia

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Chelone, I put a link below of my 2006 garden album. It has some long shots. I have hardly been in the garden lately to even take any new pictures.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

We are investigating the possibility of pancreatitis in Charlotte. A second blood test at 7:30 tonight.
    http://www.mscc.ca/pancreatitis.html
    Then more decisions when we get the results next week.
    This is hard stuff for me...as you know. Sorry to post it on the Wellness thread.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Charlotte, don't be sick! GB, is she fasting now? Is that why you need to return for the blood test? I know there are different degrees of pancreatitis, but our greyhound friend George had an acute attack 2 years ago and is doing fine on a managed low fat diet. The vet should be able to give her something to help her feel better after the blood sample.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Meant to attach the Veterinary Merck Manual.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Marie, I was just doing a quick skim and saw your post on Charlotte. I know how much she means to you and hope whatever is wrong is something that will be manageable. I know you're very worried and I'll be thinking the best for you both!

Looks like I've missed some great pictures the last couple of days. Something to look forward to perusing later tonight!

Eden

• ccsuzy
    16 years ago

The overwhelming feelings of the past few days are passing a bit. At least now I can think of something besides DH's disease. The mind takes a bit of time to wrap itself around things like this, I think. I don't remember how much I mentioned about it, but it can involve eventual kidney failure and aneurysm, for starters. It's a fibrous mass that grows and encases the ureters and sometimes the aorta (as it has in DH's case). He has another CT scan tomorrow and I guess we'll go from there.

Deanne, gorgeous combos as usual. You must have lovely nurseries up your way. This year it has been very difficult to find good stuff to put in containers! I've been all over town looking for one vine that was abundant last year (Silver Falls Dichondra). Finally found 5 pots of it at a neighboring town's only greenhouse. Between Mom and I, we took them all. And that rock is scrumptious!

Bug, great pics! It's nice your DD seems to have inherited your gardening gene. I hope someday one of my boys will find joy in gardening. My grandfather used to raise tomatoes, blackberries, and such. The other grandfather had apple and peach orchards. I was destined to love the dirt.

Brenda, hope you get your work done in the fields soon. You cross stitch! Stitching is my other passion. What types of things do you stitch? Samplers are my passion. I have several to frame and several on the walls, and several in progress. I belong to several online message boards and they enable me terribly!

Eden, I abhor tree trimmers. About every 3 or 4 years they come here to clean the trees out of the power lines. Each time they ask if they can remove the trees - NO, no way. The trees are on a steep bank at the back of our yard, and the neighbors yard is below that. I'm afraid we'd have erosion issues without the stabilizing trees. Last time they trimmed they left the wood stacked haphazardly against the telephone pole in the yard. "It's not out problem to remove that..." Several phone calls produced no results. I hope your family health issues improve, and I'm so sorry about your kitty.

Drema, congrats on the grandbaby! You'll have such fun spoiling and returning to Mama.

Saucy, I went through the same type of thing with my boys. I think they both got suspensions from the bus at some point in their school years. This too shall pass.

Cynthia, I'm sorry to hear about Monty, but now at least you can proceed to make him happy and comfy. That's all we can do sometimes. I personally get very very attached to my furbabies, so I take it very hard when health issues crop up with them.

DH took me to my favorite nursery last Saturday for my Mother's Day gift. This is not something he's ever done, usually we just go to Lowe's because he's not much into nurseries, per se. He even picked out something on his own! He came over with this small pot with a tiny hosta in it. He said, I know it's still small, but I like the leaves....he had Pandora's Box. I told him it won't get much bigger than that. He didn't realize hostas grew that small, despite the fact that I have several minis in the gardens.

Anyway, I managed to pick up a Rainbow Knockout rose, the Pandora's Box hosta, a rose colored Chelone (thought of you, Chelone!), Geranium Carol, Heuchera Dolce Mocha Mint, Salvia Pink Friesland, some verbena and Marinka and Dark Eyes fuschias. Sunday the boys bought me a Blushing Bride hydrangea. I've also picked up a pink Mandevilla vine somewhere along the way!

Today while roving the neighboring town's greenhouse, I found something I had been looking for literally FOR YEARS - Solomon's Seal! And it's variegated. I also picked up a frilly maidenhair type fern, Hemerocallis Big Smile, Flume coleus, pink tinted ipomoea, an Oriental or Asiatic lily with no name tag, chives, and lots of container plants. Now I just need to go plant those containers!

suzy

• chelone
    16 years ago

Suzy, you sound a bit perkier today than the other day. It absolutely takes time to wrap your brain around news that is unsettling and has no easily recognizable answer. I remember that feeling. It's important to take a deep breath every so often, and try to lose yourself in something really mundane. Weeding and cleaning worked for me. There's something about keeping yourself busy with seemingly rote and routine things that allows your brain to work subconsciously on tough things. That's the basis of "Morita Therapy". Saucy coined it beautifully when she said she felt much better after she had a semblance of a plan formed. Remember to take a deep breath and enjoy the NOW.

The Chelone I moved yesterday is looking decidedly perky, and I'm surprised at the size of patch. I'll sprinkle some Espoma on Friday and allow the forecasted weekend rains to wash it down to the roots... . Kirengeshoma shows no sign of flagging and the iris look a bit battered, but none the worse for wear (as if!). My eyes are now on curbing the zeal of the Polygonatum and resurrecting the Rodgersia it is presently overwhelming.

Cynthia, the soil IS acid, we routinely treat the broadleaf evergreens with Hollytone. But the double edged sword of this lot is its low lie. I know I can't miss with things that like really moist soil... Rhodos, Kalmia like moist, WELL DRAINED soil and the site in question doesn't drain quickly; add to that 2 brutally wet springs and... you get the picture. I fear the Kalmia is toast (or, as they say in Wales, "Sop"). I'll watch the Rhodo and make decision after it flowers. My personal experience with broadleaf evergreens is that they are particularly finicky about too much wet. Is your native soil clay-y?

Charlotte has had her blood test by now... . I had a long talk with Rex about it tonight. He assures me the 'bug will make no knee jerk decisions and will know what to do. (((Hugforbug)))

Good to hear from Eden, and still wondering about Noma, and T. And Yeona... why do I always forget important names?

Kathy, your comment about the birches being "waterhogs" really struck me. NOT an issue for us! And it actually got me thinking about using a clump of them on the east side of the garage when all is said and done. I already have aphids on the New Dawn rose and the leaves are still small... . Grrr...

Shall I amputate the starts of the Annabelle? should I compost them or nurture them? ;)

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Thunderstorms here....I'm typing in between.

The school is giving Jake a strike: he's still on the bus, thank goodness.

Suzy, what a terrible diagnosis. Read and educate as much as possible. You and DH are in my thoughts.

You too, GB, Pancreatitis is not nice in a dog....I think Zeus has the same problem, but as long as he doesn't get into the wrong thing he's okay....hope you'll find management...it's got to be tough on a farm.

I've gotta get to bed....

Saucy

• just_t
    16 years ago

Hi all. I've been catching up on the reading and just feel like the Idylls, as a group, has had so much heartache, in many various ways, in the past months. Illnesses, relatives & friends passing, pets being ill....the list just goes on and on. This 2007 year has been a difficult one personally.....but we've had some good things happen along with the very bad. Most of the time I can find enough blessings to out number the hard stuff which helps to keep my spirits up, I hope it has been that way for everyone else, too.

I've been babysitting a lot and the twins have been sick so the days stretch a bit longer than normal. This old grandmother is feeling like a grandmother most days. ;) There have been a few days that I had 3 of the g'sons here at the same time......I sleep well after one of those days. ;o)

Drema, congratulations to you!!!

Suzy, I'm sorry that you are dealing with a tough diagnosis for your hubby.

Saucy, good to see you back.

Deanne, you've shared some gorgeous photos!

My mother's day gift from my children was money to spend on bedding plants. I told them it would be a great gift for any holiday for years to come. Made it easy on them and definitely a usable and lasting (hopefully the plants will live, lol) gift. DH bought me a lovely hanging basket for the front porch.

Well, I had the twins today and they were fussy so no housework was done. I'd better get the kitchen spiffed up before I curl up into my chair and lose momentum.

I know I missed mentioning so many big things that have happened or are happening....not intentional---sending my best to all--
    T.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

I started a nice long post last night but had DS home and wanting to chat , and phone call from BILs in Portland and by the time all that was over with it was time to go to sleep or pay the price today with the dreaded office grogginess

So many things I want to comment on , so I will do my best, and will no doubt miss a few here and there.
    First I must say weve had some really enjoyable photos posted the last couple of days. Even poor Kenzie in time-out reminded me of the fleeting nature of having very small children..I felt a little wistful-for about 10 seconds ,lol ! She is a cute little thing though !
    Thank you so much Michelle for posting the wonderful shots of your 06 garden. How proud you must be of itits just beautiful ! I cant imagine what I would do with that much space..A wonderful assortment of plants, thoughtfully placed, lovely vignettes , etc etc.

Cynthia..yippee to vacation! Ill be in that mode in just a couple of weeks. I have already maxed out my dental insurance for the year. I fear that surgery (for the second time) is in my future again. Think Im looking at perhaps 1 implant. Hope you will post a picture of your spiral aloe sometime- I love aloes and agaves. I bought a boatload of new succulents this spring.
    Cindy, I need to post a pic of an area in my back garden that is so similar to your Chloe pic you posted. My lawn (whats left of it) is also a path, with various pets lounging about on it-usually that cats (I refer to it as "the savannah" ) and 10 minute mowing is it for me too. I hope to visit Heirloom Roses while in Portland-went last year but it was pouring the whole time-always a risk in the PNW, so I hope for dry weather this year. Last fall I visited Cistus on Sauvie Island-that was fun .

Saucy, sorry for the troubles with the younger set. I had my share of those believe me. I look back on those times and it is hard to imagine that my 2 young adult kids are even the same people they were back then. Sometimes being caught doing stupid things can begin the turnaround.

Deanne, your potential container arrangements are dynamitecant wait to see them in full glory. Some folks out here in Norcal do dig their Dahlias, but I think its a rain thing, trying to avoid rot.

Chelone, dont you just love Annabelle? I wish I had room for a couple more. And as for Sweet Woodruff??? Fie on that one I say ! Ive dug up enough of that to fill a couple yard waste bins and then some, and it has figured prominently in my compost piles. Wish Id never planted it.

bug ! Good vibes to Charlotte. I hope that the news is something manageable.

Suzy, you have been plant shopping up a storm ! How scary for you and your DH-anything involving the aorta is certainly of a serious nature. I hope your Docs are able to find treatments that will ease him.
    Well, Im out of steam for now---a big wave to everyone,

This is where DS spent a few days last week. Those of you who have been there will probably recognize it.

{{gwi:157285}}

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    16 years ago

The first order of business today is to wish T a very happy birthday!

{{gwi:157286}}

I know how it can be when life sort of rolls over you. I hope you have "your day" all to yourself and are able to do whatever you please. And be sure to eat some cake, LOTS of cake. Fond wishes for a lovely birthday, T!

Great news for Saucy's delinquent-in-training; it may be called the "loser cruiser", but the schoolbus beats the hell outta walkin' or riding a bike in the rain. :) We had a thunderstorm in the wee hours this morning. Spencer was a little tense, but then returned to his preferred curling place right under my chin. Think of how good all the rain will be for your new plants! Mum always had a special fondness for teenage boys, esp. younger teens. She liked their mercurial nature; one moment childlike the next quite grown up. I'm fond of that age group, too...

I'm looking forward to a rainy day today. I've gotten a lot done in the gardens and the rain is going to wash the fertilizer down to the roots of things nicely. I wish it wasn't going to rain all weekend, but I'm sure I'll find something to fill the hours (finish my new awnings? make a cushion I've been putting off for months now?).

I haven't made a decision about Annabelle. But yes, Kathy, she is one of my favorites. EASY! you can't screw it up since it will flower on old canes or new ones. There was a handsome one in the little square that welcomed you to the village I lived in as a kid. I was heartbroken when some donkey took it upon herself to rip it out and replace it with a military arrangement of marigolds... nice improvement, dogbreath! :(

Michelle, I'm glad you posted the link to your gardens, I skimmed quickly, but really want to go back and soak it up. Just so, so pretty... did you do all the work yourself or did you inherit some of it?

It's time for me to face the music and propel my hindquarters toward the transport pod. Later 'gators!

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Teresa

{{gwi:157287}}

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hi everyone

T - I hope your day is filled with wonderful things including some time for yourself.

GB- I'm so sorry to hear about Charlotte and hope management of her condition is possible. Having met her I know how special she is and what a dear place she holds in your heart.

Michelle - your gardens are indeed lovely. Thank you for sharing them with us - I know I'll be back to enjoy them some more.

Saucy - hang in there! Not having a bus suspension must be a huge relief and perhaps enough of a wakeup call for Jake to make changes.

CHelone - I adore my Annabelle but she has got rather floppy with age (like myself) despite being in full sun. Do you ever have to stake yours? I did more of a prune this spring hoping to get her to shape up. Perhaps a few push ups..........

Cynthia - the variegated Salvia is Desert Blaze. I'm a sucker for anything in the sage family and can't resist any new ones I see, even though I rarely get the tender ones through the winter. I think it comes from our year in San Diego where they were the favorite part of my garden. I'm still looking for a few Leuncatha - I like to use them in the gaps the spring bulbs leave. They provide late season bloom, fragrance and the deer don't touch them - what more could you ask for?

This week is proving busier than ever - Annie is in the last throws of rehearsals for the musical Peter Pan. She was at the dress rehearsal yesterday from 4 - 9.30 PM I don't know where the kids find the energy but they still seem to be enjoying it. Tonight I'm cooking dinner for some colleagues of DH's who are in town. I've been spending so much time outside I hadn't realized how much I'd let housework slip. It could be a scramble to pull things together but the groceries are purchased and the big tidy up started. I wish I could wave a wand and the dusting, vacuuming and floor washing be magically done too.

Have a good one

Mary

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Shall I do this again on the right day? Of course! ;-) Wishing you the best, T. May your dreams come true!

{{gwi:157288}}

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Suzy-I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I'm sending good thoughts your way!
    I've done a lot of cross stitch pictures, most with gardens in them..go figure ;) Currently, I'm stitching blocks for a quilt. It will have 8 different block patterns, and will take 18 of each pattern to complete the quilt. Long term project, needless to say. AND, I've never quilted before, so it will be a real learning experience when I get to putting it together.

Saucy-My DS was a "special challenge"...it's a wonder I'm not completely grey...or bald, lol! Glad he didn't lose his bus priveleges! Hang in there, it gets better!!!

Michelle, that shot of Kenzie is just adorable :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, T!! Sorry, I don't have a pic for ya-I've yet to take any this year.

I know I missed a bunch of stuff, but haven't had time to read thoroughly. We're two days away from having all the corn planted. WOO HOO! The soybeans will go fast, and then it's time for my summer vacation. The guys will still have plenty to do, but once the seeds are in the ground, they pretty much leave me alone. Yesterday, we were in the fields farthest from home, and a really wicked storm came up. The gusts ahead of the front were just unreal. All of a sudden the dirt in all the fields started rising and swirling and I literally could not see out of the tractor. I lived through a tornado as a kid, and I was terrified. Fortunately it was nothing that bad, just really strong wind. Had to make a run for the truck, got soaked, came home, showered, ate and fell into bed around 7:00.
    Let's hope for a less eventful day today!
    Gotta run, kids. Have a great day!
    Brenda

• deanneart
    16 years ago

{{gwi:157289}}

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

~*~**~~*Happy Birthday Teresa *~~**~*~

{{gwi:157290}}

~**~~****~~~*~~**~~~*~~****~~~*~~**~~