Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Idyll#378: Birds, Bees and...Bathrooms!~

gardenbug
15 years ago

Indoors or out...It is SPRING. Tell us all about it at your place!

Comments (102)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Saucy, DH and I watch Lost...is it on Friday nights where you are? It is on Thursdays here. I watched it last night and it was actually a little easier to follow than the last episode. How old is Sarah? Are you renting a chipper for your tree and doing it yourself tomorrow?

Have peonies for the first time this year. They already have peony rings on them and have started growing up through them. Lots of buds, I can't wait!

Chelone...good luck with the visit to Mum's house. You are both very lucky, you and your brother, to have each other and to feel close. It has to make it so much better. :-)

Mother's Day...loving the thoughtful gifts already being received. Mulch is a great one. Was it Mary that received the lemon cake? Loved the card G'bug, with the footprints...and the sentiments in regard to DH,....lol. My DH is taking me to a nursery tomorrow and lunch.

That cake you received Ei, was that for your Anniversary? 28 yrs...goes by fast doesn't it? We will be celebrating 30 later this year. Doesn't seem possible. Very pretty cake, maybe you can dry at least some of the flowers from it?

Happy Friday.. :-)

pm2

Amazing display of coleus Deanne!! Those are some interesting looking coldframes, would be interested to hear how you think they work out.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

My internet connection didn't work all day. Finally got it back just a little while ago. My house is totally clean. Brad even vacuumed the basement. Laundry is all done too. Downside is not much playing in the garden the last few days. Jen and I are going plant shopping tomorrow though.

Kathy, I think Aiden is just the cutest thing! I love his tummy and his little cheeks. Thanks so much for the pictures of him

Deanne, that's some coleus collection you've got there. Just think how much it would cost you to go out and purchase all those plants. Isn't being bone tired from gardening all day just the best feeling?

Sue I think it's great that you get to start fresh putting together furniture that's just what you want.

I payed $50 for my cotinus gold spirit too for a good size one. I wonder if I got a lemon though. It's just not doing well for me this spring.

Cynthia, hosta talk? I went through a period 2 or 3 years ago when I was collecting some unique (strange)ones. Here's mine...

Stiletto

{{gwi:157329}}

Praying Hands still emerging. This one gets lots of comments. It's different!

{{gwi:157330}}

Here's another I have that's alot like Stiletto called Chartreuse Wiggles. Smaller leaves though.

{{gwi:157331}}

And from yesterday a mermaid and her dog listening to music

{{gwi:157332}}

Eden

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Eden, I like the brunnera Starry Eyes. What color is the foliage?

Hurrah for Pheobes!

Very pretty Woody. Apt title. So do the Turkestanica botanical tulips tend to naturalize?

Cute cake Ei. Happy Anniversary.

And even cuter baby to follow . All male, baseball and fishing. LOL Thats an awesome looking fish tank. Sounds like your trip went well Kathy. Welcome back.

LOL Bug, I like the card verse.

I don't know if I'm more awed by the fish tank or Deannes cold frames. The area is perfect Deanne. Thank you so much for posting the obelisk picture. I caught DH in the right frame of mind and he was able to make me a simalar one. I have wanted one for a long time.

Well this Idyll sure is jumping all over the place. Keeps it interesting huh?

It is still raining here and was pretty chilly today. Yesterday I managed to slip some hard to pull weeds out of the saturated ground. This morning I started to plant a Blue Angel Hosta, but it started raining again. I have felt kinda punk the last couple of days otherwise I would have stayed out there anyway and pulled more weeds and moved plants. I didn't even feel up to going nursery and I need to.

Cynthia, blaming the gps for lost nursery trips isn't going to cut it. LOL

Waving hi to all. I'm going to go play guitar for awhile. Norma

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

All of a sudden Bella looks more like a beautiful little girl than a cute baby.

Saucy, yes, was Survivor a hoot last night or what? Talk about a dumb a$$. I missed the first half but figured I caught the best of it.

Thanks for the dog training tips. I know ignore is the way to go but I'm a light, restless sleeper and have a hard time lying there listening to the fuss when I know a few stern words will stop it cold. Maybe tonight I'll try earplugs. Cynthia, potty isn't the goal-they want breakfast...food...it's their god, they know no other...lol. Part of the problem I suspect is the paper delivery. Since the retirement of the previous delivery person, the paper has been arriving between 4 and 4:30-often with a thud against the front door. Sometimes it wakes me up. At any rate, I knew the dogs would have the hardest time adjusting to this change. Tom worked less hours and was home more than me so they spent more time with him by default. It's an issue that will be ongoing. Tom is working on getting the yard at his house fenced so they can spend time there. For now I'm trying to be home and interacting with them as much as possible.

Tonight I spent over an hour reassembling the futon I bought from Craig's List. It had been taken completely apart so I could fit it into my SUV but I didn't watch the disassembly. When I started I had no idea what I needed to do but I was determined to figure it out. After staring at the pieces for a few minutes and not having a clue how the hardware worked I decided to do a google search. Hooray for google! The job is done. Now if I can just find a troubleshooting guide for motion sensor floodlights...lol. I won't even tell you how my first lawn mowing experience went. When will I ever have time to garden? Needless to say it's been a long week.

Best I get my butt out tomorrow and find a copy of Deanne's Fine Gardening debut, eh? I'll put it at the top of my endless list.

Fading fast. Night all!

Sue

• saucydog
    15 years ago

LOL @ nude Bud and Bella the Beauty :)

Bud seems like the kind of dude that doesn't mind if Saucy gets the giggles over his nekkidness!

Yes, Sue, that boy got broad sided :)

'night all.

Saucy

PS HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EI!!!

Pretty cool frames, Deanne...it's better than a nursery! Your babies are happy here :)

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Only worked two days this week but what an ordeal it is sometimes to come back from being away. I have open house tomorrow so no rest for me- fortunately the house is relatively clean so the prep should not be too arduous.

So much to comment on too ! Glad those of you who can bear to look at baby photos enjoyed Aidens pics. You should see that little dudes wardrobe ! DD made quite a killing-new stuff and barely worn hand me downs too. Not to mention all the infant accessories that were not invented yet when mine were tiny folk. For those who inquired , Mr Baby was born the end of Feb so that makes him about 3 months. And he does wobble quite a bit, lol. Floppy as hell in fact.
    DD and her partner love their fish tank and take really good care of it. Its very clean and the fish are healthy. It is a freshwater tank and I think 55 gals? DD says sometimes they prop Aiden up on the couch and he likes to stare at it (per the drool photo).

Deanne, I must admit to stifling a giggle at the spectacle of your porta-coleus display. Is an intervention in order ? FG could do a whole issue on you alone-to heck with those other people ! Could you e-mail me with info about the cameras you are selling ? My DS might have an interest.

I have followed with interest(and admiration) Chelones story of Meme above the shop. Is she a relative to anyone at the business ? Does her family perhaps own the business ?
    I had not a single ill effect to any plants when my house was pressure washed in March. I think the bleach solution they use is extremely diluted.

Eileen, congrats on your 28th . So rare that seems these days.

Monarda- I have had abysmal luck with that plant. Have put it in twice, and had not a single bloom. Someday I will try again, despite its thuglike reputation. It is commonly sold here so I can only assume that I did not position it properly.

Martie, taxidermy ? What will your Ky come up with next ? Thinking maybe you have a Renaissance man developing there. Let us know when he decides to apply at Cordon Bleu , or the Sorbonne.

Sue, its an interesting time when a spouse is gone and you are able to make unilateral decisions. After my DH passed away I found this ability to do whatever I wanted to (within reason !) helped me get through the grief period. Even stupid little things like how to arrange the garage and what meals would consist of.

Cynthia, I gave away my Melianthus last month to one of my employees who is trying to do tropicalissimo around her pool. They are pretty common here , and can live through the winter in the ground. Hope your Katie is ok and all the fur-kids are well.

Eden, your hosta pics were way-cool. It is really difficult to keep them going here because of the horrible snail damage one has to have a very hands-on approach and never let up all season to have decent plants. Bella looks quite elegant propped up against Mr Jumbo-dog.

Ok, time for some baseball.. and extra Hi to Saucy, Mary, Norma, PM, bug, Cindy, Wendy, Woody , and I hope I didnt miss anyone.

In closing, Idylls rock !

And a pic or two

Sally and Eden

{{gwi:157333}}

Jeanne la Joie and avery cool Viburnum guarding the gate to the back garden.

{{gwi:157334}}

Eden

{{gwi:157335}}

Kathy in Napa

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

Darn! I think I bought the wrong Fine Gardening Issue!
    :-( It said 8 simple container designs and I thought...this has to be the one,but I don't see Deanne's. So it's their issue with *just* containers, Deanne? I'm going to look again tomorrow. Seeing your cold frames made my jaw drop! Fabu-Fabu, as you would say. Really, everything you do is always so amazing and professional looking, and awe inspiring.

Aww, Kathy! He's *adorable*! :-) I love all his pics, but that last pic really got to me with his chubby little tummy and sweet, sweet face. You can't tell me that you didn't go gaga when you saw him. :-) Precious!

I just read Jerri's post/link on Molly the Survivor...it put a lump in my throat...what a sweet story. Thanks for sharing that Jerri. Any babies yet?

I have to admit I avert my eyes and scroll till I'm sure I'm passed Chelone's porcupine...LOL! I've got a weak stomach.

LOL Wendy & Deanne your post mortum stories cracked me up (and gagged me too...sorry)! What a guy your hubby was Wendy, not to share that with you right away. I think I would have had the heebee jeebees too! :-)

Cynthia, if you get that Cotinus Golden Spirit, would you let us know how it turns out? I've had my eye on it for awhile, but read conflicting reports on whether it holds its golden color throughout the season. I would love to know. It sure is a beauty! Also, I guess I'm being nosy, but I can't resist a mystery and you didn't share about Wyoming...what was the secret?

Those hostas are very cool Eden! Funny I was thinking to myself..."look at that little doll Bella...she looks just like a beautiful little mermaid!" and then I read your caption! :-) I think I'm going to have to get that hosta "stilleto". Have you been working on your bog garden? Can't wait to see what you've created!

Mary...I've been meaning to tell you. Have you ever perused Ebay? I was just there today and you should see how well needle felted animals are doing! There are some really lovely ones being made by artists, but yours are every bit as lovely! Many are going for well over $100.00. Of course I know you do it for the joy of it, but if you ever wanted to persue it, I know you would do very well.

Sue, sounds like the pups are a bit of a challenge right now, with the changes in your life, but I'm glad you have custody. It sound like you are doing a lot of nesting for yourself, good for you. Hope you will share some pics when you're ready. It must make you feel a good about yourself for being so self reliant with *all* the things you've been doing and getting that futon back together too! Good for you! :-)

PM2...I've been meaning to tell you how much I enjoyed your Swan and Cygnat pictures...so lovely. And thought how sweet you were when you said it made you cry. You're a softy...but I understand - I probably would have been crying with you! :-) What a lovely place you have and what lovely views!

Thanks for the anniversary wishes guys! Yea, it's hard to believe it's been 28 years myself....Uh, I was a child bride, ummmm....married at 12, ah yeah, yeah...*that's the ticket! :-)

I took a few spring pics to post separately, but don't know if I'll get them up tonight. But my vote is for some spring at Monique's too! I *love* the way she uses color, echoing the ornament with the plant colors and all the fabulous shrubs and trees she has...it would be a real treat to see! I hope Sue will share too, though I imagine you are pretty tied up with fixing up the house just now...but I have *always* admired your landscape...another pro!

P.S. Hi V....hope you're feeling better?

Okay, it's off to bed with me...I have to be at my friend's sale at 7:30 a.m. She works for a nursing home that has a greenhouse and the workers and the seniors who reside there work all winter to prepare for the sale. They do a wonderful job, but I think they sell their plants too cheap and everything is nearly gone by 8:30 a.m.!

Good Night All!

Oh, and just wanted to share this email that I received. It's a sweet story and the coolest thing about it is that there really is such a place!

The Daffodil Principle
    Several times my daughter had telephoned to say, 'Mother, you must come to see the daffodils before they are over.'
    I wanted to go, but it was a two-hour drive from Laguna to Lake Arrowhead 'I will come next Tuesday', I promised a little reluctantly on her third call.

Next Tuesday dawned cold and rainy. Still, I had promised, and reluctantly I drove there. When I finally walked into Carolyn's house I was welcomed by the joyful sounds of happy children. I delightedly hugged and greeted my grandchildren.

'Forget the daffodils, Carolyn! The road is invisible in these clouds and fog, and there is nothing in the world except you and these children that I want to see badly enough to drive another inch!'

My daughter smiled calmly and said, 'We drive in this all the time, Mother.'
    'Well, you won't get me back on the road until it clears, and then I'm heading for home!' I assured her.

'But first we're going to see the daffodils. It's just a few blocks,' Carolyn said. 'I'll drive. I'm used to this.'

'Carolyn,' I said sternly, 'Please turn around.'
    'It's all right, Mother, I promise. You will never forgive yourself if you miss this experience.'

After about twenty minutes, we turned onto a small gravel road and I saw a small church. On the far side of the church, I saw a hand lettered sign with an arrow that read, 'Daffodil Garden.' We got out of the car, each took a child's hand, and I followed Carolyn down the path. Then, as we turned a corner, I looked up and gasped. Before me lay the most glorious sight:

{{gwi:157336}}

It looked as though someone had taken a great vat of gold and poured it over the mountain and its surrounding slopes. The flowers were planted in majestic, swirling patterns, great ribbons and swaths of deep orange, creamy white, lemon yellow, salmon pink, and saffron and butter yellow. Each different colored variety was planted in large groups so that it swirled and flowed like its own river with its own unique hue. There were five acres of flowers.

{{gwi:157338}}

'Who did this?' I asked Carolyn. 'Just one woman,' Carolyn answered. 'She lives on the property. That's her home.' Carolyn pointed to a well-kept A-frame house, small and modestly sitting in the midst of all that glory. We walked up to the house.
    On the patio, we saw a poster. 'Answers to the Questions I Know You Are Asking', was the headline.

The first answer was a simple one. '50,000 bulbs,' it read.

The second answer was, 'One at a time, by one woman. Two hands, two feet, and one brain.'

The third answer was, 'Began in 1958.'
    For me, that moment was a life-changing experience. I thought of this woman whom I had never met, who, more than forty years before, had begun, one bulb at a time, to bring her vision of beauty and joy to an obscure mountaintop. Planting one bulb at a time, year after year, this unknown woman had forever changed the world in which she lived. One day at a time, she had created something of extraordinary magnificence, beauty, and inspiration. The principle her daffodil garden taught is one of the greatest principles of celebration.

That is, learning to move toward our goals and desires one step at a time-often just one baby-step at time-and learning to love the doing, learning to use the accumulation of time. When we multiply tiny pieces of time with small increments of daily effort, we too will find we can accomplish magnificent things. We can change the world.

'It makes me sad in a way,' I admitted to Carolyn. 'What might I have accomplished if I had thought of a wonderful goal thirty-five or forty years ago and had worked away at it 'one bulb at a time' through all those years? Just think what I might have been able to achieve!'

My daughter summed up the message of the day in her usual direct way. 'Start tomorrow,' she said.

She was right. It's so pointless to think of the lost hours of yesterdays. The way to make learning a lesson of celebration instead of a cause for regret is to only ask, 'How can I put this to use today?'

Use the Daffodil Principle. Stop waiting.....
    Until your car or home is paid off
    Until you get a new car or home
    Until your kids leave the house
    Until you go back to school
    Until you finish school
    Until you clean the house
    Until you organize the garage
    Until you clean off your desk
    Until you lose 10 lbs.
    Until you gain 10 lbs.
    Until you get married
    Until you get a divorce
    Until you have kids
    Until the kids go to school
    Until you retire
    Until summer
    Until spring
    Until winter
    Until fall
    Until you die...

There is no better time than right now to be happy.
    Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    So work like you don't need money.
    Love like you've never been hurt, and,
    Dance like no one's watching.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

If you want to brighten someone's day, pass this on to someone special. I just did.

Wishing you a beautiful, daffodil day!

{{gwi:157339}}

(BTW, this last pic isn't from the Bauer's garden, just so I don't misrepresent them - it's from mine).

Good Night All! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

Oops...just checking my post and saw your's Kathy...YUummm!
    You really can grow those roses! They're all spectacular, but I'm in love with your Eden. I don't think she'd be as wonderful for me though. BTW, do you have any pics of your Shakespeare 2000 to share? Love to see your!

Good Night Now!

Ei

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Eden, I am in awe of anyone who can say 'my house is totally clean' during spring. [g]

Sue, when you find the troubleshooting info for motion sensing lights, send it this way. I can never figure out how to work mine.

Kathy, do slugs bother even the new thicker leaved Hostas there? Wow, that Sally and Eden together is my idea of a gorgeous combo. They are wonderful together. You must have had so much pleasure to come home to roses popping!

Ei, that Daffodil Story really is a great reminder of what you can accomplish if you set your mind to it. Glad you enjoyed the swans. Taken at a Pond nearby, haven't been in awhile, but will try to bring home some photos again, soon.

I second requests for spring pics from Sue and Monique's garden!

Off to Maine this morning for a very short daytrip. DH is in dire need of a break from the routine and since it is Mother's Day weekend and there is a favorite nursery on the way, we are off this morning. A rare occurrence for us and despite the gray skies, it will be the only chance we will have to go for awhile. Can't wait to soak in some ocean breezes. Will wave, Chelone, as we pass your exit!

Enjoy your weekend!
    pm2

{{gwi:157341}}

• drema_dianne
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone
    Ei, I have always wanted to go see those gardens, and knowing that next year is the last makes me think we should have an early idyll trek to CA next spring:)

Wanted to give you all an update. My brother passed away this week,very suddenly at home.The funeral is this morning. He was a happy guy, living on his own, on his own terms. He left the nursing home against half the families advice, and with the help of the other half. We had been going to the gym, he was doing water aeorbics, etc. We actually went out and bought a bunch of flowers for his little garden plot outside his apt. a couple of weeks ago.He went to Windsor, Ontario on the gambling bus with my sister week before last, and his ex-wife and he went to dinner last Friday. I am glad it worked out like this, and not with the whole family fighting over decisions to be made as far as life support. That had not been fun the last couple of times. Jenny had her baby last Friday:) Cutie pie, Nina Marie, 9lb 1 oz, beautiful, of course. I am going to try to post some pics of her after the out of town family leaves tommorrow.

Deanne, I LOVE your new camera. Wow! Fabulous photo of the bee, and Congrats on being in Fine Gardening.

I think of everyone often, don't know why I can't seem to get to post. Looking for a job, adjusting to new life.

D.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Drema, so sorry about your brother. It sounds like his life ended under the best possible circumstances though and it's hard to ask for more.

Ei, I forget to wish you a happy 28th! Your DH is a keeper and makes a mean margarita. I remember how much fun we had at your house for IU3. Such a peaceful relaxing space you've created...

{{gwi:157344}}

Looks like we've got a decent day on tap here. Perfect for a trip to Maine, PM. Yesterday they were saying rain for the AM. Guess I'd better switch my focus to the outside jobs on my list. I still have a little bit of spring cleanup and plant moving to do. My goal is to make the front yard much lower maintenance. On Monday I took a day off and spent alot of the time digging and tossing perennials. More of the same today. Then it's hopefully going to be mulch it and forget it. Too funny-Kathy is growing beautiful roses and I'm digging them and tossing them out...lol.

Melianthus...I had a gorgeous one in the patio garden last year. The foliage lasted well into late fall-maybe even early winter. You can see it in the far left of this picture. Oh lookee, there's a Cotinus 'Golden Spirit in this picture as well. As you can see, it holds it's foliage color. This one is in full sun.

{{gwi:157346}}

Both the Melianthus and the Cotinus came from that nursery in southern VT that Steve Silk turned me on to. Speaking of that...Deanne, Monique, Wendy, Saucy...and anyone else who may be interested, we should plan a trip there soon. A link to their website is below.

Dogs were OK last night. Fussing started at 4:30. I ignored and actually fell back to sleep until 5:15. Both are napping now. Nick is tucked next to me in my chair. Needs his mommy this morning I guess. He was born on Mother's Day and will be 8 in four days.

OK, better get this show on the road.

Sue

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A very early morning for me. By 8am I'm ready for a nap!(of course I won't...) Two friends spent the night here and we went out for Indian dinner together. (DH is still in Germany) The Indian restaurant is really the only good food in town. Thank goodness there is ONE place fairly close by!(15 minutes from home)

It is a beautiful sunny day, the birds are singing and nesting. There are fish in the creek too. I need to make a trip to the dump...but other than that the day is mine! Will it be a nursery trip or simply garden puttering? Perhaps the visa card will buy me a Mother's day gift??? ;)

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Ah GB, I feel the visa card calling your name. She wants to go with you to the nursery. ;)

I am glad to see the daff. story! I love that and I really need the reminder not to be overwhelmed.
    I ordered a secretary/desk from Pottery Barn to go in my office at home. The problem is I have to clean out a bunch of junk to make room for it.

Still no puppies here, I cant believe it. Ill try and get photos of her today. Poor girl, she can hardly move! DH
    doesnt want me to leave the house in case she goes into labor and hes here alone. I wanted to remind him
    that its a first for me too. LOL

Im going to scroll back and drool over the garden photos. You guys are all amazing gardeners.

Im so happy its Saturday!

Jerri

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Hello? Where is everyone?
    I just got back from obedience class with Miss Annie. I need more training then she does, she is so smart it's scary. LOL
    Well, I'm off to take Checkers, one of the new Pitties, to her new foster home. YIPPEE!

Jerri

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Not much time for a post right now, but wanted to say to Drema that though you will miss your brother I'm happy he had some quality time after being in such bad shape before.
    And Congratulations on the new grandaughter. I love her name. Will be looking forward to pictures and maybe you could drop one in of Charlie too. hint hint Norma

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What a nice visa card...I returned from my outing with a lavender digitalis, a soft orange epimedium, a white poppy, some deep purple aquilegia, a nice fern and a bit of cooking basil for the garden. All very nice, but danger of frost tonight. Eager for the end of May when that threat should end. Of course then I'll complain about biting insects...

Off to play with my "little" girl.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Drema hugs to you from me. Your brother sounds like he had a good strong will :) Sounds like he enjoyed his last days.

I'm so happy for Jenny! Nina Marie is a beautiful name. Tell her hello from me :)

I wish I hadn't missed IU3....I really want to see Ei and Michelle's :) Thanks for a peek, Sue!

Melianthus was purchased at Mapel Plants here in my town last year. I enjoyed it's green/gray foliage.

I bought some cannas today and a nice dark phormium. Also got two trees to place in honor of the tree we lost - a Northern Red Oak, and a Red Maple. Nice for 15 dollars at the depot.

We've been chipping branches all day and the operation is still going. I'm in to clean up myself and get a meal on - we're hungry :) I have some nice big piles of wood chips - I plan to spread them in the woods....we'll see.

I'd better get moving. Hope the pups come soon, Jerri! When's the next full moon? She'll look for dark and quiet, too....you know, Nick and I were discussing one day how kids today don't learn about the birds and the bees (ties into this thread nicely :) the way we used to: dogs and cats giving birth. All my pets have been spayed or neutered. My mom used to rescue alot, Jerri, so I learned lots by watching that :)

TTYL
    Saucy

LOVE the pictures of roses and daffodil story!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Little 4 month old Nora the German Shepherd came to play with Phoebe this evening. It was perfect! They barked and pounced and yipped and nipped and sorted it all out and then went to the creek for a big drink. I'm so happy they are friends and now we think they'll go to puppy classes together soon!

The worst scene at the nursery was the husband who FOLDED the new Japanese Maple into the car accompanied by the shrieking of his partner. I couldn't bear to watch the outcome...and went and bought my early dinner, a sausage and bun with sauerkraut, and ate it in the sunshine.

Took a few photos and will try to post later.
    'bug

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A perfect day here! The sun, a hummingbird, tree swallows, frog sounds too. Here are a few of the blooms as well.

Anemonella thalictroides...a double form...and a gift!
    {{gwi:157348}}

Corydalis lutea spreads everywhere...but I can't bring myself to call it a weed.
    {{gwi:157350}}

A Euphorbia "bloom".
    {{gwi:157353}}

And still some of this year's wonderful hellebores...
    {{gwi:157356}}

White hellebores with Brunnera Jack Frost.
    {{gwi:157358}}

Hostas are at various stages..but I liked this one.
    {{gwi:157359}}

Narcissus Thalia are a favourite.
    {{gwi:157360}}

The serviceberry is huge by now. The flowers are almost ready to pop!
    {{gwi:157361}}

My pot of violas has survived several frosts thank goodness.
    {{gwi:157362}}

There's so much work yet to do...but each day there's something new to see. A great time of year. The first black flies have arrived though.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That was supposed to be a separate thread...sorry.

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

I have a mastercard that is sooo wonderful to me -- it brought me the gift of a hibiscus blue satin, digitalis, a fantastic 3 gallon Cezanne Clematis on sale ($10!!; im gonna hate leaving that other one on sale Bourbon behind); a cool apricot colored fern whose name I forget, and some bletilla striata... it's amazing how thoughtful that MC can be, LOL...

On a serious note, Drema, Im so sorry to hear of the loss of your brother - count the extra time you had with him and it sounds like this last year has been full of joyful moments to remember about him -- concentrate on that and that wonderful new grandchild you had!! No wonder you are having a hard time idylling -- we'll be here when you're ready or just wanna lurk!! Hugs.

I was glad to have that MC be so nice to me today because it poured again this a.m. and no gardening got done; Im hoping to run to a furniture store to check out some sofas, etc., in the a.m. and squeeze some garden time in the afternoon if the weather holds up for a bit... In the meantime, the high here was about 67; very weird for May -- this is the latest I recall in years that the peonies are just budding up, iris being laggards, and the roses too are just really starting..

Gosh, the gorgeous rose photos, Kathy -- so intimidating -- my few are just starting but I dont think they'll put on as gorgeous a show as that -- but the M.A.C. is blooming -- not profusely, but still, she's being earnest ....

'bug dont be sorry - I love those photos -- it perked the place right up -- we need some live shots to go to past the mummy....

Deanne-- you DO need intervention....... let us know when Doug wants us to schedule it, LOL ... o my ... you'll need a whole separate garage for the containers needed too - are you investing in stock in one? or maybe you need to become friends w/ a potter!! Can't wait to see what gorgeous stuff you find.

I went looking for a Helmond's Pillar berberis - you'd think it would be easy to locate -- strange, no such luck so far... well, I did manage to console myself nevertheless with the other plant purchases, LOL.

I saw survivor too - I've somehow gotten sucked into that this year; it was amazing that guy was sooooo stupid.... I never understood how he'd managed to survive so long... Done in by the black widows -- loved it!! hehehe.... Im a Lost fan too but have missed the last couple (the recorder is still in the pile of non-operating equip of the basement....); I figure reruns will get me caught up in the summer if I miss though.

Cynthia, if you told me the GPS had all the best nurseries pre-programmed to take one to, I think I would definitely be buying one for myself....Im still thinking about it after your enthusiastic endorsement of it.....Plant detours, what a concept.

Happy early Mother's Day to all.. I know I could wish for perfect garden weather for each and it would be the perfect present.

Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Good Saturday all I spent all morning in a frenzy of cleaning to prepare for the open house this afternoon. We had a pretty good turnout, only 2 of them were neighbors. So , the house is clean and tomorrow I plan to spend the entire day puttering pleasantly in the garden. This is only a slightly more rigorous activity than SALATing.

Eden , I think the bike thing sounds really cool. Lots of possibilities-for a hot garden I could even see red , thinking of Gallardias , Heleniums, Coreopsis etc.

PM, I loved the lighthouse pic- the Oregon Coast has many very photogenic lighthouses. I grew up 4 miles from the ocean (in Denises zone 10 part of the world) and a part of me misses being near it to this day. Here in Norcal and the PNW it is always very cool-which is okay but you can forget growing tomatoes and peppers. If I was a zillionaire I would buy a 2nd home in Santa Barbara.
    Slugs and Hostas: my issue here is primarily snails. We do have slugs ,but in fewer numbers. I have not experimented enough to know whether the heavy corrugated leaves fare better. I can tell you though that I have seen gigantic Hostas in Portland, and they have banana slugs up there. There may be hope for me one day ! Hope you had a fun outing today !

Drema, best wishes to you and your family. A new life and the passing of one- doesnt get much more elemental than that does it ? Hope you can post more often..

Im thinking a glass of wine on Eis porch would be just the thing- not to mention a chair plopped into Sues FF garden . Sue, I had fun viewing the Walker Farm plant lists- a bit of a commute for me though! It looks like an excellent nursery.

Wendy, you have done some excellent training if you can get your family to give you compost for M-day. Ive spent many a year trying to get my kids to disregard the M-day thing with some success. Im just not into it- however, if they were giving me compost I could reconsider !

Jerri, wondering if you are in a whelping mode this evening ?

bug, the Hosta ! Fabu-fabu pic. That just speaks to everything I love about Hostas-

And for Eileen, WS 2000 . The color is very hard to capture in a photo.

{{gwi:157363}}

{{gwi:157367}}

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

Happy Mother's Day to all of you who've born fruit from your loins. Kathy, Mum loathed Mother's Day, too. She was more in favor of daily affection than one day a year of it, lol. Wendy's load of mulch and helping hands would have been right up her alley.

Drema, please accept my condolences on the death of your brother. Once more, Kathy summed it up beautifully. One life ends, a new life begins to take in the big, wide world. The circle of life is complete and seamless; Nina Marie is very pretty name... best to Jen. who's probably glad she's no longer pregnant.

Yesterday was a long day, but my brother and I did what we intended to do. There was only one thing that froze last winter, the little hose with the spray on the sink. Other than that, there was no damage and there was no sign of animals in the house, aside from some mouse droppings. There is a TON of work to do to the place, though. We are going to hold onto it for a bit; with an eye to using it as a seasonal rental. That way it will pay its taxes and we'll be able to get into it regularly to effect the repairs/renovations it will require over time. Mum's ashes are there and in honor of our time in the house we pulled it out of the closet and set her on the dining room table to enjoy our company and the usual jokes that spring up when my brother and I are together. Getting her to the cemetary is something we want to get done this summer. ;) DB took our grandfather's mahogany desk and all the family photos, which he plans to scan and put on CD. Older photos of long dead family will be directed to my cousins with children for posterity. I took a graceful settee that could look quite pretty in the Salon. I'm a little overwhelmed by the scope of what awaits us, but two practical people who love and respect each other will certainly be able to sort it all out. I was reminded of just exactly how awful black flies are; we don't get many of them here (replaced by mosquitos that could carry a stewardess), and I don't miss them one iota!

Deanne, your cold frames are wonderful! I think you ought to consider a very seasonal business selling some of them to like-minded people. Or, creating interesting containers for businesses that like some seasonal punch. You'd be a roaring success, of that I'm certain.

I've been thinking of Katie, too. Wish you'd give us an update on her, Cynthia. Rex is coming along, his fur is growing back and he is using his rebuilt leg more and more each day. It's becoming harder and harder to keep him from over doing himself.

I am envious of your completely clean house, Eden. Mine has a long way to go before it will attain that status (if ever!). And Sue echoed my sentiments on Bella perfectly, she is quickly leaving toddler behind and moving into bona fide little girldom. I like Praying Hands, very intersting plant, I'm assuming its leaves don't unfurl completely?

Rose shots are breathtaking; they really are magnificent in their glory. I've lost my Sweet Autum Clematis :( (the second one, needs more protection in it's decidedly chilly location, I think). I'll think about how to use the space while I'm cleaning out the gardens on the terrace today. And I'm releived to know that the pressure washing didn't damage your plants, Kathy. Thanks!

Meme upstairs is no relation to any of us. She sold the building and retained life tenancy in her apartment. She has one daughter who has a demanding career and (I think) takes her mother's good health and independece for granted. Their relationship is definitely strained and she is only too willing to tell her mother to "deal with it" or cede mundane responsibilites to others. I understand how it can be to have a tough relationship with your mother because your personalities can be SO different, regardless of shared DNA. At any rate, Meme seems more comfortable with us and it's no skin off our noses to help her with this. Sometimes you do things like this because they need doin' and it makes someone else's life a little bit easier. And it makes you feel good, too. :)

Kindness is the rare coin that returns the spendthrift twofold, but leaves the miser penniless.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning... lots I could comment on this morning, but it is almost 7am and the sun is shining and just have to get outside. We had a very relaxing day in Maine yesterday and it was a pleasure to see the ocean again, at high tide no less. I brought the camera but was having such a good time I didn't take one photo. The nursery was a bit of a disappointment in some ways, but still came home with 50 little plugs. We did wave as we went by your exit Chelone...hope you got the vibes as we whizzed by...lol.

I can't comment right now, but be assured that I had a lot of pleasure reading everyone's comments and trust me, all the photos were a real pleasurable addition to my evening last night. :-)

Drema...very sorry to hear of your brother's passing. No matter how expected, it seems you can never be prepared for such a loss. Hope that the happiness over the birth of Nina Maire takes some of the sting from it. Hope you will post as often as you can.

Happy Mother's Day to all, whether mother or daughter, it is nice to set aside a day to stop and remind ourselves of how much we appreciate each other.

:-)
    pm2

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Have you seen Google today? I love their holiday logo variations. This one is gentle and sweet.

I can only echo the thoughts of others regarding the loss of your brother Drema. My mind keeps returning to you throughout the day. You are such a fine lady..and having met you and shared family, wedding and plant talk together, I can picture you each time you share your family, job or garden news here. I'm not sure your special spunk is detected by those who have not met you. You may worry as life throws you curves, but you ALWAYS make the best of things! I really admire you! Hugs to you my friend.

Chelone, I am so glad yesterday worked out well with your brother. It is so nice to have a plan agreed upon by both for future progress. It sounds as though giggles were shared as well. :)

Kathy, have you ever tried a solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water on your hostas in spring? I know this is supposed to be effective against slugs, but I don't know anything about snails except for escargots, which are terrific with garlic butter! You would die if you saw what passes for a healthy rose in my neck of the woods. Yours are the stuff of catalogs.

I too would like to hear a Katie update.
    Also wonder what time Sue's rascals started their day today.
    Hmmm, Chelone was going to begin a pet thread I seem to recall....

I hope to get outdoors in the vegetable garden soon. They scared me with threats of frost last night, but I think we escaped that. nevertheless, i must remove the protective sheets from tree peonies and such.

Happy today to one and all!
    'bug

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Happy Smothers Day, LOL! My own personal joke - don't tell my family :)

Seriously, I woke up so happy this morning - I love days like this. So much was accomplished on the property yesterday! I will say again: I feel inspired! Jake has promised to do an archetectural style drawing of the facade's of the house if I show him what the plants I want look like :) He's actually very good with this and it seems perfect to me, to add to my graphing project.

Today my family has promised me a Mother's Day canoe ride - no paddling for me :) Did I tell you that we had our first official hatchling of the year? That's always exciting. Turtles should start laying soon. I still need a sign for the property: Terrapin Station :)

The roses just keep coming! I'm actually tempted to try each time I see them! I am partial to the climbers or single petal deals.

Chelone, sounds like you were able to make some good headway into a very tough project. A seasonal rental sounds perfect!

PM, that sounds like a wonderful day trip you had! I like a trip to Maine, too :)

Happy Mother's Day all!

Saucy

• saucydog
    15 years ago

GB, Google is tender :) Just perfect! I am going to donate money towards helping victims in Burma.

I keep forgetting to tell you: The kids (both, different schools) came home saying they needed to use the computer - seems FreeRice has caught on at school!

Okay...off to help Sarah whip up some flapjacks so that she has some paddle power in her :)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love "Terrapin Station". Do others have names for their homes? We call ourselves Carroll Creek Farm.

mmmmmmmm. Flapjacks sound great...but first, Phoebe's walk!

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

The predicted crappy day here didn't arrive yesterday, and we enjoyed a sunny, bright detail garden cleanup day. Which means of course, today is bathrooms-bedclothes-dusting-etc. UCK! I do get reprieve by going to see the touring production of Jesus Christ Superstar with my sister. Our Christmas/Birthday/Mother's Day gift to ourselves :-) I love the show and am really looking forward to being "lost" for a few hours.

Drema -- Good for you to obviously be a part of those who sprung your brother loose. It seems he spent the last part of his life here just the way he wanted, and that makes him a pretty lucky guy in the end. Enjoy Nina Marie and the other littles, but cry when you need to and come here for hugs whenever you're ready.

Rich was able to wholesale his motorcycle this week and it was a THUD to let it go. As my mom said "It was your courtship chariot!!" and she was right. While riding we learned about each other's love of back roads and cool places and met some really interesting people who inevitably said "how many years have you been together?" when we had just started dating. So, the bills will be paid for the next months but the garage looks really empty. It's okay!

How exciting for all the new plants to be landing in peoples gardens! I've done literally no nursery crawling this year (actually part of the plan!!) so that what I have will be in place and THEN I'll see what I "need." I'm hopeful that the seedlings will be in the ground within a few weeks. Yipee!

The cleaning brush is calling .....

Martie

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good sunny morning all! What a gorgeous day we have here. Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms out there. Doug bought me a lovely bottle of red wine that is currently my favorite. Im thinking of opening it tonight and sharing with my two BG Friends. We are going to our friends home tonight for filet steaks for dinner and to see Debs sons debut on TV. He is a plumber and worked one of those houses on the Extreme Home Makeover show which will air tonight. Hurray for him for volunteering his time for such a good cause.

Yesterday Doug, DD and I went over to University of New Hampshire in Durham and took a beginning class on Adobe Photoshop. A good time was had by all and I learned a great deal. Ive been using Corel Photopaint for years but wanted to learn how to use Photoshop as its the industry standard. After the class we drove over to my DBs house in Marlborough for a cook-out. His sons In-laws are here visiting from Russia. They live in a large city outside Moscow. What an interesting evening. Again a good time was had by all.

Cindy, ROTFL, I did a double take about the mastercard being so good to you because that was the first time in history Id heard that one. I LOL when I read the rest of the sentence. Got to love clematis on sale! Too funny that you all think I need an intervention.

Bug, lovely spring photos!

Eileen, I just love the daffodil story! Thanks for sharing that. ~~ Yes the magazine Im in is the Container Garden issue. Its a special publication.

Drema, congratulations to your family on the birth of your new granddaughter. ~~~ So sorry about your DB.

Sue that Golden Spirit looks terrific in that garden.

PM hope you had a nice drive to ME yesterday. ~~ Im about to get off this computer and get outside myself. WE want to finish getting ALL the plants out of the house today. The HUGE ones are still in the basement. Ill have to take a pic of that banana for you. You will simply not believe the size that thing has grown to in the dark in the basement over the winter.

Chelone, yes the black flies are getting to the ferocious stage and Im sporting quite a few welts even though Im religious about bug spray and have Buzz-off clothing. ~~ Ive thought about doing container design professionally but have resisted the urge because I dont want gardening to become my job. I did that with the painting and now I hate to paint because its work. I want the gardening to continue to be my passion and that wont happen if I start dealing with cranky customers. LOL

Kathy, that rose is stunning!!!! I cant believe how many gorgeous roses you have and how lush and healthy they are. ~~ I sent you an email about the cameras. Let me know if you dont get it.

Ok Im waving hello to everyone, Ive got to get busy and get Dougs help getting the behemoth plants outside. Have a lovely day everyone.

Deanne

PS

A few spring pics

Brunnera variegata
    {{gwi:157369}}

{{gwi:157370}}

{{gwi:157371}}

{{gwi:157372}}

{{gwi:157373}}

I didnt do a thing to this photograph except resize it to upload. The floating look came about because the stem is as dark as the background. I thought this an intriguing image.
    {{gwi:157374}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Good morning and Happy Mothers Day to all who qualify!

Oooh, spring shots from Marie and roses from Kathy-the pefect way to start the day.

Looks like another gorgeous day in the pipeline here. Bathroom cleaning is on my list too but it won't be happening today. All my efforts will be directed to the garden. I still have a bit more spring cleaning to do and a few plant moves. I'd also like to get all my canna tubers potted up and down next to the furnace. It looks like I lost all my big Brugmansias over the winter :(. It would be nice to get a couple of containers planted but I haven't purchased one plant yet this spring so in order to do that I would have to go hit a nursery or two and kill half the day. Last night I went to Lowe's around 6:30 figuring it would be dead and it was zoo-the garden area was anyway. I grabbed a set of grill tools and a couple of three cubic foot bags of potting soil and high tailed it out of there.

Yesterday I got alot done inside and out. Tom came over and gave me a lawnmower, gas grill and hot tub maintenance 101 class. Lately I feel like I must be stupid or something because I have no idea how any of this stuff works. Thankfully I'm a quick study. Got the back lawn mowed, exchanged an empty propane tank, hooked it up to the grill and grilled myself a steak for dinner. In addition to laundry, bed changing and garden work I got a few art prints over to the framer. I've been spending too much time at sites like art.com lately looking for beach, cottage and ocean related prints to soothe my new environment.

Not a peep from the dogs this morning. The paper was delivered promptly at 5:17 so I got up then, fed them, let them out and then went back to bed for an hour or so. Let's see how the week goes. On weekends they get alot more daytime activity and I know that is an issue during the week.

OK, time is a wasting. Enjoy whatever activities you decide to pursue today!

Sue

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Sue, I got 3' Brugs from this site - $7/ea. Good experience. I got her name off of the Brug site.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ooooh! Deanne is playing with her new camera! Thanks!

Just received an email from DS with mother's day wishes. Here is his comment: "Attached is a photo of your new enviro-bike I will be shipping shortly"
    {{gwi:157375}}
    I wonder if he'll send the hemlmet and leather jacket as well? (Maybe this will be Rich's some time in the future.)

Last night I saw my first bats of the season flying about. A sign of a warm wonderful day...with bugs starting. Yes, those nasty black flies.

A few window shots from today...
    {{gwi:157377}}

{{gwi:157378}}
    And at last, May 11th, the serviceberry from the bedroom window.!
    {{gwi:157379}}

And what do you know! Looking through last year's photos it was also blooming on May 11th!

• saucydog
    15 years ago

And Deanne! Gorgeous shots in the garden! That new camera sure is fun for us :)

Saucy

(who is now stepping away from the computer....)

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Happy Mother's Day to moms of two and four footed kids! I'm feeling a little glum this year. I so wish I could just be with my mom. I called her first thing this morning. Megan is working today, David is watching Bella so I can have the day to myself, gardening I wish, but it's a rainy day here today. Jenni is having over Randy's parents and grandpa for dinner. Randy's grandma passed away last weekend so I suggested she have them over as it will be a hard day for their family. I got $$$ for plants as my gift. Jen and I spent most of the day yesterday hitting farmer's markets and nurseries. Lots of fun!

Drema, so so sorry to hear about your brother's passing. You were a great sister to him, helping him to do the things he wanted to make him happy. Congratulations on your new grandbaby! Yes we will need pictures. What a lovely name she has!

Chelone, I keep meaning to mention how great I think it is that your helping your upstairs neighbor. It must be hard going through all of your mom's things but I'm sure it brings back lots of good memories too.

Lots more I wanted to say but can't for the life of me remember what it was now. I need to do a little tidying up before Brad gets home.

Until later, Eden

• chelone
    15 years ago

I'm in for a wee-wee break and a regreasing with sun screen. I'll assume the motherly tone and ask, "Are we all wearing sunscreen when we're outdoors?". cluck-cluck.

Great shots from Deanne and 'bug. Saucy is right, Deanne, we're going to enjoy your new toy a good deal, lol. And something tells me it will take considerably more than a new camera to attain your level of ability behind the lens. I love the tulip shot, very cool!

Naturally, I've thought of Mum a great deal lately. Strangely, though, I don't really miss her. Probably because so much of the woman I "miss" had been gone for some time before her death. Her clothing is especially poignant for me because she loved to dress nicely and appreciated the time and thought I put into the things I bought for her . I know I really pushed her in new color directions (like bright, "acid" green!) and worked hard to make sure her hair and nails were always well groomed. Her favorite "outfit" was a pair of Lands End stetch corouroy slacks in that wacky green and a cotton pullover with blue, yellow, wacky green stripes. She loved that I purchased socks to match her slacks, too. So the clothes are "hard". Any sadness I feel is more tied to the fact that she wasn't able to die in my home and had to endure that nursing hole. But I can't change that.

I understand the glum feelings, Eden. And well understand the poignancy today carries for you. I'm sorry you must endure it but am glad that you have so many diversions to bring you smiles and joy, too. I thought of you this morning as I carefully cleaned around the tree peony and contemplated a new home for it. Do you move them in August/early September, too?

Wonder how much energy Sarah's flapjacks provided? I have a vision of Saucy in the prow of the canoe, loungeing like Cleopatra on her barge... :)

Good news from Sue with respect to the mini-pack. Stick to your guns on the "silent treatment". The most effective way to discipline a dog is to IGNORE them. Or beat them to within an inch of their lives... . Let your mood be your guide. Hey Sue? are we going to see in guest spots on "This Old House" or "Hometime" in the not-too-distant future? Do you own a cordless screwdriver/drill and TWO battery chargers? ;)

OK, time to put the Huge One on his 6' string and get back to work. Waving...

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

A pleasant afternoon it is here in Norcal, not too warm, gentle breeze, sunny..Perfect for puttering ! Im on beer break. Many scapes have been observed today on the daylilies as I was cutting off snail damaged foliage.I have one S. Black and Blue that has reached 2 ft by 2 ft, the other I feared was lost over the winter. On closer inspection I saw that there was basal growth which is being chomped on by the shelled-devils as fast as it comes out. I applied a generous dollop of Sluggo and a small sprinkle of Corrys Slug and Snail death.
    Watering is on the agenda today as well as laundry.
    I potted up a couple of coleus (purchased I must admit-) and a Plectranthus. I also took some pics this morning to demonstrate that I actually do grow other plants besides roses !
    I wonder how Denise is enjoying her journey ?

Ok, break over , move the water, switch the laundry

Kathy in Napa

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

My idle wish to move to the Pacfic Northwest has been granted by the weather-gods. Nothing but rain for the last week. It's lovely and makes things greener and greener but this always happens when Alliums and Peonies and Poppies are about to pop. Nothing looks worse than those three fractured and soggy with rain. On the plus side, I've been planting and moving things between the cloudbursts and no need to water in. Just careful where I walk and what I plant. The liriope divisions, 58, are in and it's such a peaceful look back there that I want more. It's heavy shade, mix of trees and weeds and shrubs and now it's actually starting to look more like a destination than the 'cliff' at the end of the gardens. Oh it's not that steep, but it's a dark place made more useless by the slope of it. I'm liking the change :)

Yesterday, I picked a tiny dog up from the truck just to keep overnigt until her foster could take her. It was fun, she made Dannie (who's very tall) look like a race horse. Katie needs too much right now for me to do fostering. Or maybe I need Katie too much :) Don't want to share my time.

Went to Marketfest at the arboretum in the afternoon and stocked up on more of my favorite daffs. They dig all the bulbs in spring and sell for cheap at this event and at an herb festival later in the month. It's a deal. Checked their shrub section, but no Cotinus Golden Spirit srublets hiding there. Thanks for the picture of yours Sue and the Melianthus. Thinking about this I just did some more googling and found these at Karutz in CA. They checked out on GardenWatch so I just ordered :

Melianthus major
    Plectranthus oertendahlii Lime Light
    Duranta erecta Snow Flurry
    Costus arabicus Variegatus

Reasonable prices and reasonable shipping. Check out the Snow Flurry Duranta, it's gorgeous.

{{gwi:157380}}

I have two yellow Duranta that hit 6 feet and light up the patio in summer. I cut them to a foot and stick them in GH for winter. This spring they were looking rangey so I chopped them down completely and have worried for two weeks that they were now dead. But! The rains have brought forth new growth.

Here's one of the yellow ones in June 07. It's between the Eucomis and the Canna. It might be early July, I do get sloppy about creating new folders by month .... :)
    {{gwi:146494}}

Well, it's all about me today. But I do remember enough of my ready to say my thoughts are with you Drema. I'm glad that your brother was able to do things he wanted to do. You are a terrific sister. Congrats on the Nina, I'm sure she's a joy to you.

Best to all! The pictures are fabulous! (Bella you are beautiful, but I'm sure your gramma tells you that.)

Cynthia

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

My former next door neighbor stopped by and told me she had pulled up a plant from a friend's garden thinking it was a weed. She wanted to replace it and said the friend had told her it was crocus amelia devil's tongue and had a red flower. I figured it out...it was crocosmia lucifer.

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

If anyone in New England wants a Cotinus GS, go to Avant Gardens. $14.95. I just ordered two, and don't care if they're 3" high, I love to watch things grow. Of course the minimum order was $30 and that left me 10 cents short. An hour later I threw in a Schizophragma 'Moonlight' to round things out. Have dawdled over that one for the past few years.

Good night! Cynthia

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

What great weather we had today! It was spring like and not hot, but the sun was out all day. Family dinner. Just lovely.

Something wonderful out every window, G'bug. Love the lace curtain. That Hosta shot had me looking at mine coming up today.

That tulip photo really showing your camera's capability Deanne, not to mention your creativity.

Whose front door is that Sue? Glad the dogs gave you some rest and hope it continues. Are you back to walking yet?

Sorry about the snails Kathy, hope you have them on the run. Your Red Rose is scrumptious! West Coast coastline has wonderful views too...I'll post some of those next week. No tomatoes in PNW? Don't think I could survive there then...lol.

Glad your day with DB worked out so well, Chelone. The settee sounds lovely.

We didn't see any lighthouses on our short trip, but it had been so long since I stood by the ocean and just the powerful sound of the waves was so much louder than I remembered. What I really want is a hot day at the beach and an inner tube, [g] then about a week to just get used to the ocean out the window and in the air every time you take a breath.

Sorry about the missing motorcycle, Marty. We have some of those regrets too. :-)

Did you canoe today Saucy?

Waving to Eden and Cynthia...and hopefully everyone was busy having an enjoyable day.

Last Mother's Day pic...

{{gwi:157381}}

Lynxes are known for the black tufts of fur on the tips of their ears and their thick fur.
    Photograph by Norbert Rosing

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

Happy Mother's Day to all the Idyll Mothers...

(including those with furry babies! :-)

I had a special message I wanted to give to you all...but I ran out of time and now I have to get to bed...it's been a long day.

Just wanted to tell Drema how sorry I was to hear about the loss of your brother. From spending those few days with you at the Idyllunion, I could tell you are a warm, genuine and joyful person Drema...sounds like your brother was too. I'm glad for you and your whole family that things worked out the way they did and that your brother's last days were spent spending time with the people he loved and doing the things that made him happy.

And congratulations on grandbaby Nina Marie! Look forward to pics! :-)

Wow...such beautiful pics from everyone!

Kathy...thanks....your W.S.2000 is gorgeous! I'd be embarrassed to show you mine...LOL!

Sue...thanks for stirring up happy memories! It was so fun meeting and having you all here...I loved having you...even if my personal life was a little crazy at the time...you guys were a *wonderful* distraction! :-) Paul enjoyed all of you too! Thanks too for the G.S. pic....Your G.S. is so pretty and what a great combination of color and texture...love your fountain too!

Deanne....gorgeous pics! I agree that tulip pic is intriguing (and *beautiful) can I get you here to photog my tulips? LOL!

Beautiful pics Bug! I especially love the shots from the window and the one with the kitty is just *so* mesmerizing and soothing too!

Cynthia...that Duranta *is* gorgeous! I'm going to have to look for that. I still remember all your beautiful pics of your garden and grassy paths that I so admired. And I've always loved the pics of your black wicker and your agaves too. Which reminded me, when I bought the wrong mag issue looking for Deanne and I saw the front cover it kind of reminded me of your lovely vignette, which I think they should consider for their next cover! :-) Well, there are so many first rate gardeners in this group that I think any one of you could be/should be featured on the cover of a garden magazine!

{{gwi:157382}}
    Well, I need to get to bed now...got a busy day tomorrow. I have to meet up with an ex-boss. She is the owner of a garden design company I worked for many years ago and says she has "she has a good offer for me that she thinks I would be pleased about and to call her." She called me the first time a few weeks ago, but I didn't call her back. But, since she called again, I figured she must be serious and it can't hurt to see what she is offering. Looking for a job (at least for me) has been very disheartening, so I have to admit, it feels good to think someone wants me...LOL!

• chelone
    15 years ago

I like that Duranta, Cynthia. Very arresting, I like varigated foliage. Your Liriope sounds like just the ticket for a shady slope, nice to see another corner of your yard become a "destination" (like that). I was hoping for more information on Katie, though. :( We'll take what we can get though.

Yesterday was just beautiful here. I cleaned out the terrace beds and am going to tackle the fern bed and the round bed today. Helpmeet made noises about slaying the latest crop of dandilions today and then we're going to stake the new course of the driveway and decide where the excess gravel and fill that will be removed will be stockpiled. I'll be glad to have the major garden areas cleaned up enough so I may "check the ingredients".

I had a good opportunity to look at the house yesterday. And I'm going to request the painters focus their attention on on the east and south facades first of all. I want them away from the gardens as soon as possible and I want to be able to get the awnings up, too, before it gets really warm. I have yet to broach the delicate subject of replacing the windowboxes with the helpmeet, I fully expect a good deal of whining about that. :/

The shrubs we moved last week appear to be holding their own. We've been very good about keeping them well watered (morning and evening) and have seen no signs of flagging yet. I am more concerned about the leggier of the two Vaccinium, but I think the Lilac is going to be just fine. And it looks nice at the end of the driveway, a place where its chronically mildewy foliage won't be quite so noticeable.

I think it's time to sort some laundry and get dressed.Then see about some sort of breakfast food stuff...

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A rainy day...even several days...in my future. I'm sorry because I need to catch up on so much weeding. Cleaning up after the spring flooding and mowing too digs into gaHden time. And so my day will be busy with phone calls about puppy classes, house and barn insurance (my nightmare) and probably cleaning the fridge...Yuck!

Cynthia, your garden already looks like an August scene to me! Lovely!

Anyone else grow Huechera Midnight Rose? I'd like to know your experience with it.
    {{gwi:157383}}

Here is the walk Phoebe and I take to the mailbox. This year alfalfa grows on the left, barley on the right. I mow the strip by the ten silver maples and it takes me over an hour to do so.
    {{gwi:157384}}

Later gators!
    'bug

• chelone
    15 years ago

Where is everyone? hung over from Mother's Day, or what?

I've done some cleaning out back but it's really windy here (and none to warm! wind is off the water today) and taming the gangs of oak leaves is not easy. So instead, the Helpmeet and I have reconfigured the path of the driveway and are now working on the curves for the access paths that will ring the bahn. There's a lot to this, you guys. This is a good reminder that handsome landscaping should address practical needs first and foremost.

Gotta get to the bank right now, back atcha later.

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I'm at work, pretending to be interested. I'm really surfing for tickets to IU. ;)

Where are the closest airports to Deanne? I hope she really meant the invitaion because I'm jumping on it.
    If nothing else I'll sleep in the gardens. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Jerri

P.S I have the airport information at home but I don't remember it! :(

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Go Jerri GO! You'll have a fabu fabu time!!!

I took photos this morning...Enjoy them here:
    http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forum/messages/1107219/111158712.html

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I meant to do it this way.

• chelone
    15 years ago

I think the closest one to Deanne is in Manchester, NH. There is also Pease International Tradeport (Newington, NH) but I'm not sure who flies in there now; I think one of the airlines that folded used to and I don't know if any other carrier has picked up the slack. And there's the biggie, Logan in Boston. Hope that helps you out enough to get you started.

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Thank you Chelone. :)

Jerri