Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Idyll #380: Patio & Deck Time!

gardenbug
15 years ago

Today we celebrate by cooking on the grill, right? Soon we should be able to leave plants outdoors without danger of frost. I hope. So this is the thread to show off your conatainers, patio, new plants, beehives and other amazing wonders.

Comments (102)

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Deanne, is that a faux crack in your new container ? Like the vein-y plant display in pic 5. Amazing how many blooms you have- I am way behind you growing in my au naturale state! There are certainly no begonia or fuchsia blossoms in my garden at this point.

Saucy, a doting parent is what you are ! They wouldnt dare sting you Im sure they feel the maternal vibes.

PM, my implants are progressing very well. Right now the posts have been installed (that was the procedure I went through in April) and when the healing has completed (3 months or so Im told) I get the crowns and I am off and running . My oral surgeon is very cautious about making sure that my mouth has fully recovered from a surgery before going on to the next step.

Slobs: I am a former slob- it seemed like the more stressful my job became over the years, the more I felt like I needed an orderly pleasant environment when I came home. I dont obsess over it, but start to feel a bit unhappy if things get too messy.

So Im going to go read a bit , Thursday is usually a slow baseball night.

Nite all

• saucydog
    15 years ago

So I guess there is hope for this slob then, huh, Kathy? Nick and I had a talk about the state of the house and my new bees, LOL! I'm sure things will even out :) He's worried that I'll be too busy to help him pack up the boat for the long weekend....

I agree with Denise, Mary, who can see the carpet with the food you serve perched in their hands? I hope the discussion was lively!

Will the Buckeye have the actual "nuts" V.? People collect and sell them around TN. How nice of your family to track one down.

Deanne, those containers are gorgeous, and I wondered about the crack, too! Is it real? You chose the perfect plants (of course!) for the cat planter, as it looks as if she is bristled :) I'm waiting for mother nature to warm things up so that my plants will actually GROW.

Jerri, I can't wait to see puppy pics. That runt will be special, they always are :) My friend's Corgie was the runt and they didn't think he'd make it because of his severe overbite - wouldn't be able to eat kibble. He overcame, and it makes for the most endearing dog smile :)

I've gotta go find some food and check the bees....they're almost photo ready. I lost about a hundred in the move and I didn't want to photo the little bodies at the entrance, but they're slowly doing some housekeeping (like I should be doing...).

Have a great day.

Saucy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

TGIF!

Sorry for the drive by...today is a day off for me. I have PT in 45 minutes, still have to eat breakfast and wanted to drop a urine sample from Zoe off at the vet on the way.

Be back later.

Sue

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link, Denise....I spent 2 cups of coffee watching Eddie do schtick :)

My, but that is a lot of eyeliner :)

Saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Well we are having another sunny day here but its supposed to get windy later. Have I mentioned that I hate the wind. Grrrr. Great score on lovely, large fuchsias at HD yesterday for $13.95 in a twelve inch hanger. If I knew I could buy the varieties I want in the spring for that price Id only winter over half of what I do. These will replace the ones I lost so I was over the moon.

Yes, Kathy and Saucy, that is a faux crack in the urn. I dont really like that feature of this piece but the fuchsia will cover it in time. $45.00 for an urn that size is a very good deal so Im not complaining.

Kathy, what a bummer about the umbrella/wind damage. I cant believe the neighbors dont put their umbrella down. Incredible that your delphiniums survived the wind. They are one plant I adore and cant grow for anything. Looking forward to seeing pics of yours. ~~ the begonias that I wintered over arent even close to blooming yet either. I normally supplement my wintered over plants with cheap hangers from Loews or HD that I take apart. Thats normally a good price for large flowering plants. Much less expensive and larger plants that flats. Our seasons are so short here that I like to really stuff things in so the containers look good from day one.

Norma, great score on the pump. LOL about sliding plants past DH! Te he. ~~ What kind of flycatchers do you have in residence? ~~ Most of the planters are fiberglass. I do have some lovely concrete ones that Ive picked up over time but the fiberglass are so much easier to deal with.

Saucy, how long do you have to feed the bees or is that a one time deal? Sounds so interesting. Looking forward to pics.

Denise, I LOVE your gardens stuffed with plants. I dont think they are overstuffed at all. ~~ No coleus pots! Bite your tongue!

Sue, I lol about your dropping off a urine sample, I didnt see Zoes name until after I re-read it and was wondering what you were having problems with now.

OK Im off to plant containers Have a great day everyone!
    Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Coffee with the Idylls this morning before I venture outside . Today I will have to pull up the sweetpeas-they are looking pretty sad after the heat and then the wind. I have some morning glory seeds (old reliable Heavenly Blue) to put in their place. I notice that the summer weeds , most notably spotted spurge, are beginning to put in an appearance.

Denise, I think our side of the nation is due for a mild weekend weather-wise. Perfect for manual labor , and planting tasks.

Here is my Lobelia laxiflora , in full bloom right now.

{{gwi:157466}}

Waving hello to everyone ..

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

We have many bird nests here. The blue spruces near the Secret Garden are a choice nesting area for birds. When Im working there I see the mothers come and go and hear the babies squawking. Theres also an intact robins egg lying in the garden near there. A brown thrasher is residing in the Secret Garden as well. Their song is so varied and interesting.

Interesting info about the Sutherland Gold, mine is only in its 3rd year, but I have noticed that spring is certainly when it shines. The rhus Tiger Eye is a much superior year round shrub for me. Although, the deer really munched it last winter and it is much later to wake up in the spring. Martie, so far the sumac is quite well behaved. If not it can always be used in a container.

Deanne, wind is exactly why I dont have any containers planted or the plants outside either. They all mostly reside in the garden shed. Hopefully, they will make it out soon. We are supposed to have a wet and windy weekend. Your containers look so wonderful already! I cant help but wonder where the drainage hole for the kitty planter is ;o) Wouldnt the kitty and bunny planters be cute in Kenzies garden? Im pleased that my ajuga Black Scallop made the winter. I had gotten a big pot and separated it into about 6 pieces.

Norma, my DH is an enabler. Last Sat. when I went to the nursery he told me to take the pickup so Id have enough room. I think he realizes that it keeps me busy while he farms.

Kathy, we grill year round here as well. You just have to put your coat on ;o) Nice combo with the lobelia.

Pm2, I like your hayrack planter. The latest issue of Country Gardens magazine shows one mounted on an old porch post with the effect of a large ball of plants. I would love to find an old post to try it.

bug, how very cool that your apple tree frames your bird feeder. Neat that your DD and DH are interesting in gardening.

Thanks for the comments on the wee garden, I added a few more wee plants. Ill have to show it again later. Its challenging to find tiny flowers to keep the scale. I actually scouted around the farm quite a while before I decided to use the drawer. Kenzie hasnt seen it yet, but Im thinking of eventually having an in ground fairy garden in the Secret Garden. Ill wait until she can help with it.

Michelle, who would rather be scintillating than dull ;o)

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Little Rose had a turn for the worse yesterday. After a really rough night, I took her to be put down this morning. It was really hard. Last night was bad enough even DH was in tears. Sometime doing the right thing feels really bad.
    Maybe it's karma, I went to PT this morning and instead of relief I got sciatica. I hope the rest of the long weekend is better! LOL

Jerri

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry Jerri.
    I have a friend who has been caring for a baby kitten for 4 weeks now. His Mom cares for him, but has no milk. She had 2 kittens and one starved before my friend realized what was up! This second one is very very small. She has just discovered that it is blind.... I don't know what the outcome will be. He is not very healthy.
    On the good news front, a friend from Book Club has found a place that cares for abandoned cats and spays and neuters them for almost free. Since we both get pets dumped near our homes, this may be a big help. Even if they are feral, spaying & neutering is a big help!
    Just returned from buying Salvia Black & Blue, bamboo stakes to support some clematis, a small obelisk for yet another clematis. Soooo much tidy up needed!
    DGS's mother went to visit the nearby (excellent seeming) school with DSIL today, so at least she is now thinking about the school that is best for him and not just about herself! Next will be the decision on who gets to care for him after his heart surgery. Sigh....

Away I go!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Jerri...how awful for all of you. Your first experience with having puppies too. Well, I have always heard that if some of the puppies don't thrive it may be that there is some kind of defect or limitation that is not obvious that could account for their smaller size and inability to thrive. If they couldn't make it despite all your best efforts, then it just wasn't meant to be and they may have been spared future suffering. I can't see any reason to feel responsible. You did everything you could. Hope the sciatica improves so you can enjoy the weekend.

Past problems with backs in this house, ice 10 minutes on and 20 minutes off, then walking in small amounts throughout the day, did better for me by a mile, than heat and resting. You probably already know that, but you would be surprised, how many doctors are still giving the heat/rest advice.

Will have to come back later for other comments. Really looking forward to the long weekend!

:-)
    pm2

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I had to be firm with Reine des Violettes today. She was bullying the other kids on the fence. I can barely find my mature Clematis Ramona she has been engulfed by RDV and forced downward into a Spirea. I also vacuumed the Lady Banks debris out of the succulents on the patio. I wondered if vacuuming ones succulents could be considered odd behavior. I knew however that the Idylls would understand ! I also got a long overdue haircut, and did copious deadheading. I feel productive.

Yay ! Michelles potting shed has surfaced again..I always enjoy that thread. Michelle, I never seem to have bird nests here in my garden, though I have lots of bird visitors. I think that the Napa River which is right across the street might be the preferred residence for most of them.

Jeri , hugs to you ..Rose was loved and cared for in her brief time in this world. Hope all the other pups are doing well .

bug, seems encouraging that the DSILs ex is making some attempt to review school choices for Skylar. The post-surgical care though seems way too important to politicize. I guess that never stops people though..that was one great shot of the bird feeder by the way !

So where the heck is Chelone ?

Almost time for baseball..pleasant evening to all..

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Well, Im plum tuckered out... that's it for the repairs/service, etc. for a week or two, LOL... you know how it just never seems to go perfectly... each one had its flaws and probs... but Chloe & I relaxed and rolled on the floor of our new family room carpet, etc.; she got to run around and do some old chase routines that have been lacking for a long, long time...

But even better, I had another jaunt this p.m. to meet Cynthia at a terrific MD nursery -- it's great to have an enabler along... they had a terrific looking Berberis Helmonds Pillar that I'd been looking for and it came home w/ me w/ Cynthia's great advice -- I love it!! I plunked it in its pot in the garden and it looks terrific - so terrific I think I should have bought 2...hmm, only a 45 min drive back.... the place was huge & we spent 2 hours there; I think I only saw about 1/3 of the place.

I got to meet Dannie too - what a love she is -- she's a social floozie too - she loves people -- and so quiet - I told Cynthia I could almost see Chloe liking her...

Wow, Deanne, you are already hard at work on the fabulous pots -- I can see your enthusiasm and thrill in each composition -- to say nothing of your talent and creative eye. I do think I'll be doing the mono pot bit this year.

Im so sorry to hear about the wind damage Kathy -- yikes - hard not to be mad at the neighbors isnt it -- I think vacuuming your succulents was quite inspired... you then said you got a haircut and for a minute I thought you might have done that by vaccuum too, LOL... it's actually been very windy here too - so odd - and downright chilly.

PM2, I meant to answer your query earlier re the boxwood - it is Ilex Sky Pencil - I've got a couple specimens but that's the best looking one - it's probably about 6 yrs old now.

Saucy - that's neat info re the bees; I had no idea about any of that.

Jerri - Im so sorry about the pups and Rose -- you are a special person to try to tough those things out -- doing the right thing is often very very hard; I hope you get to do some relaxig and SALATing this weekend to make up for it.

I am declaring tomorrow garden day -- it's unload the cartload of stuff I brought home from Thanksgiving Farms, and work outside finally - the house is gonna just stay a wreck -- a nicely painted one, but still a mess - it's taking longer to move stuff around than I had hoped - but at least I know it's on its way back to the proper place - I may be doing more chucking too; there is a certain appeal to seeing clear tops of furniture and open spaces.

Denise -- I think I can relate to the world in which you work -- yes, too many type As and total narcissists.... it's always grueling and tough after vacation to get used to the anomalies isnt it? Im trying not to think of the payback required next week upon my own awfic return.

Well, lights out for me...

Cindy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning from Massachusetts. :-)

Yesterday was a gorgeous day and I enjoyed every minute of it. I had the van home, so I made a spur of the moment decision to make a short trip to a local nursery that I enjoy. Very unusual for me to do. Arrived just after they opened and hardly a soul there. Sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky, air temperature was perfect with a very slight breeze. Birds were singing, bees were buzzing. Ahhhh!!! It was so peaceful there. They are set back from the street and very little traffic anyway. I had all the time I wanted to leisurely wander around with only the small fun goal of choosing a few new plants for containers. I found just what I was looking for and then some. The manager had some time for a friendly chat which was very nice, especially since this particular nursery is closing for good in July. Very sad. I have been going there for years. Sadder still because the property was sold to developers who will probably be putting up McMansions. The original Victory Garden was created on their property and although they have moved on, the garden is still there.

Luckily I had remembered my camera and took a few photos before I left. I thought I would post photos of the old Victory Garden that was looking particularly lovely yesterday morning.

:{{gwi:157467}}-)

{{gwi:157468}}

{{gwi:157469}}

Does anyone have news from Chelone, or anyway to get in touch with her? Can't imagine what would keep her away so long.

Loving all the photos.

Mary...your treats were mouth watering. I bet they were a hit! Sorry to hear you had to yank out your SGold too. Darn. Guess mine is not long for this world then. I don't think I am going to go for a sumac. I am a worrier about anything that can get out of hand. Love to see photos of yours though.

Deanne....your pot kingdom is looking particularly great this year. Love your new cat planter and the rabbit. Just my style of decorating. :-) I wondered what is growing with dark leaves in the two pots behind the cat? My favorite, although difficult to pick one, is the second from the bottom. That begonia has such gorgeous coloring. Great job!

Norma...sounds like you had a great day at the nursery the other day. Will you have photos of the pond soon?

Kathy....have you kept the weekend to yourself, so you won't have to be showing it? That was quite a wind storm you had there. Sorry about BB, but happy about your Delphs. Did you have them staked well? Are they in bloom and photo ready?

Sounds like you have had the worst of the implants over with then. I am so happy that it is working out for you. It is amazing to me that you have already gone through all you have done already. Nice timing too, because gardening season is so busy and fun, that you will hardly notice the three months going by.

Vacuuming your succulents...lol. I did find myself smiling reading that. Very ingenious actually. What do you use, a wet vac?

Denise...I am cutting back on containers too. I had found myself adding two new pots every year and it was getting out of hand. Too much to take care of and fall clean up was getting to be something to dread. So far I have seven large pots planned and a few small ones for the front steps and that's it. Although I have more containers in the garage, they may stay there.

Your boys have never had a cavity..! That is something to really be thrilled about. They don't know what they are missing....they can spend their money on the down payment for a house or a nice wedding for what extensive dental work costs these days. Even with insurance. Not to mention the stress of having the work done. Really great!

That 'covered in bees' video was very cute. lol

Michelle....I've seen one of those hayracks on a post that are so full they do look like a huge ball of plants...lol. Would doing one on a Shepard's Hook do as well for you?

Gardenbug...nice news about DGS's Mom looking over the school you all would be happiest with. I feel bad for all of them. Sounds like everything turns into a stressful situation without end. Everyone has something I guess. When is Skyler's surgery coming up?

Cindy...so glad you and Cynthia are able to plant hop together. :-) You both had a great day too, it seems. So did Dannie walk the nursery with you both? Thanks for ID on the Sky Pencil. I have a narrow space that needs something tall, but I have read unhappy posts about Sky Pencil, not thriving, slow growth. Have you been happy with yours?

Well, that's the end of the thread and I am posting this quick without refreshing before this gets any longer....lol.

Have a wonderful day! :-) pm2

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Cool, windy and rainy today. I'm going to help DD with her garage sale this a.m. I think my job will be to keep Kenzie entertained. If the weather shapes up her and I will go visit a garden that is on a farm near their place. They sale plants for a local charity and you can tour the lady's garden as well. Kenzie will enjoy it I'm sure.

Jerri, it is hard to see a little life end after such a short time.

Cindy, a nursery trip with another Idyller is sure to be fun and expensive ;o)

'bug, is the heart surgery going to be this summer?

PM2, what a shame that such a lovely spot will be decimated by developers and to lose a nursery as well. You can never have too many of those ;o)

This garden is looking particularily pretty lately. We see this out our kitchen windows. I cropped out all the farm machinery that is sitting around these days. I have most of my tulips here as the rabbits don't seem to bother them so much here.

{{gwi:157470}}
    {{gwi:157471}}
    {{gwi:157472}}
    {{gwi:157473}}

Enjoy your day
    Michelle

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

If 100 bees died, how many lived? Saucy, you can answer this in your next 'The Bees and Mee' column, under the 'Reader's Ask' section. The phrase 'a full leg's worth of pollen' delights me :)

PM, Is that the original Jim Crockett Victory Garden? I remember that was on the grounds of WGBH, but don't really recall if I ever watched the original series with Jim C. I remember watching the segments with Bob Thompson though.

Deanne, fabulous pots as always! The one third from the end is especially striking. Is that a type of peperomia on the left?

Kathy, I'm glad that you id'd the L.laxiflora, I would have been asking. Great combo that looks like a fireworks display with those white nigella starbursts.

Michelle, I agree that bed is looking pretty - stunning actually! Very nice job on that. (But you know we do like to see the farm equipment, right?)

Yes, Cindy and I had perfect weather for an Idyll Twonion and packed a big wheeled cart to capacity. This place is an hour from my house, and worth the trip, but not one I make often. Dannie had a fun time accepting pets and leaning lightly on anyone who came near her. It wasn't exactly a power walk, but two hours on her feet wore her out.

Cindy, I thought about going back today too :-) There was a big blue pot there half price (can never have too many BBPs). But instead I'll mow the back and side yards and make a list of other clean up so that I'll stay on track. If we hit this place again, we should also do Surreybrook which is maybe 15 minutes northwest of there.

Cindy & I both bought Coprosma, something new to me and probably an invasive pest in Kathy & Denise land. Such tiny shiny leaves that they look wet, and oh the colors! My favorite pot pick up was a pink Justicia Carnea. I've already planted it and sited the pot in a shady garden, but I'll be moving it all summer until I find the perfect place for it.

A bright sparkley day here, and it's time to go outside and get my hands (and everything else) dirty.

Cynthia

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PM2, it is hard to imagine the nursery going. I bet there will be interesting things sold before it closes though. Not just trees, perennials and bulbs, but even things like the bricks and benches! It is sad that nurseries struggle so hard these days. The shipping costs aren't helping them either. We have a nursery nearby that is fairly "ho-hum" but I am watching it closely. This is the second year for the new owners and I am looking for changes. It is tough though, not an imaginative crowd they cater to.

As to Skyler's surgery, we must wait for the surgical team to discuss the case (next week) and then hear their evaluation. Then decisions will be made. That is a super hard part for his two parents. Mom tends toward holistic treatment, Dad to more traditional. The doctors don't even like to meet with Mom because she tends to be hysterical rather than reasonable. Considering the mistakes made by them in the past, I can partly understand her problem. I think she is trying, but has a long way to go! The decisions made now affect his future as well as the present. Sarah has done LOTS of research and contacted many experts, both holistic and traditional. Dates for treatment should be made quite soon. Then I'll know when/if my presence is needed there. The hope is that first they will be able to attend the annual folk festival at the end of June. DSIL coordinates security there. But Skyler's aortic valve (bicuspid) is leaking badly a huge increase since 6 months ago, so it may be more urgent than a music event!

Sunny and warm and full of bugs here! I hope you make the most of this long weekend! So much to do here before company comes for dinner on Tuesday....I hope DH can help!
    'bug

• deanneart
    15 years ago

{{gwi:157474}}

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good sunny morning all,

Well another perfect garden day on tap here again. I worked from 8 to 5 outside yesterday and woke up today with my bod telling me Id over done it a bit. Im still in the lifting and hauling very heavy stuff mode here and yesterday I lifted a 110 pound cement container up onto a bench and I think that was the activity that is talking back to me this morning. Im feeling a bit better with moving around so hopefully Ill work out of the sore back Ive got going on. Doug picked up a load of bark mulch for me yesterday so we re-mulched the container garden and that is looking quite spruced up. We also finally got the Gigantinormous Charles Grimaldi out of the basement (where it was happily putting up feet of new growth in the dark with its roots in a plastic bag. ) Id found a 42" pot for it at Home Goods earlier in the spring and it is now happily nestled in its new digs. Doug did the most clever thing and it will be interesting to see if this works. He got four very lage cement pavers, these are about 6" x 18" x 4"thick. Then we leveled the pavers under where the pot will be, he drilled holes through the pot into the pavers and bolted them to the pot. He also made some wooden pieces that are inside the pot to reduce the pressure points from the bolts. This will hopefully keep Mr. CG from blowing over in the wind this fall when it gets some size. WE also brought up the Red Abyssinian Banana and Ill hopefully get that potted up today too. I only have two more brugs in the basement and they will come upstairs today. It never ceases to amaze me how much work needs to be done between the last frost date of May 21st and the beginning of June. Phew! It took me a month to get it all in last fall and I want to get it all out in less than two weeks, LOL.

Cynthia and Cindy!!! How fantastic you were able to get together! Thats wonderful. Sounds like you have a great day. ~~ Ive had a Coprosma kirkii for four years now. I just prune it back and put it under the lights for the winter. A beautiful draping plant with lovely habit and leaves.

PM2, thanks for those pics of the Victory Garden. That tulip display is gorgeous. How sad that it will go under the bulldozers. And for what? Housing isnt selling here right now and weve got foreclosures on McMansions in droves lately. We lost one of my favorite garden centers a few years ago and the site is now a strip mall but at least they put a Starbucks there. ~~ The two pots behind the kitty planter are a Fuchsia Gartenmeister and a Heuchera.

Michelle, thanks so much for posting pics of that lovely garden. Beautiful!!!! It looks like a mosaic. What a marvelous collection of plants. ~~ LOL about the drainage hole for the kitty planter te he Well the bunny came from Home Goods and was particularly inexpensive. If I see another Ill pick it up and ship it to you for Kenzies garden. It really is pretty cute.

Cynthia, that plant is a Plectranthus and unfortunately the pot didnt have a tag with a varietal name. There was a label on the pot that said plectranthus and thats all. Id love to know what the variety it is as I really like the plant.

Jerri, so sad about the puppy. Not uncommon with large litters to lose some but that doesnt make it less heartbreaking.

Kathy, that Lobelia laxiflora is absolutely stunning!!!! What a beauty. It wouldnt make our winters here. Bummer.

Bug, your DD is a gem! It seems she is more of a parent to Skyler than his mother is.

OK time to do some stretches and get my day started. I got eleven containers planted yesterday and am hoping for a like number for today. Enjoy the day all!
    Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Cynthia, yes, it was the second location of the original Crockett's Victory Garden. I used to watch it a lot when it was in Allston on the WGBH property too. I linked to Widipedia and at the bottom there it lists the four main victory gardens of the show. The second one is the one pictured above.

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

It looked too round for a plectranthus, but no wonder I loved it :) I don't have it (duh) but check P.oertendahlii Deanne.

Herb basket on cellar door potted. Major pruning of the wisteria on the pergola, included *3* of the trunks. Worried about the weight even though pergola is hand made and incredibly solid. Chopping trunks means I'll be cleaning up the dead leaves for a month as they drift to the patio. 30 years of vines up there so they only 'pull' out when they're dead and dry and can break away. I should take picture from underneath. Also want to show the cool hanging thing I picked up at garden center yesterday. I have sparkley things underneath the pergola and can see them reflect house lights at night.

'K back to 'work.' I love Saturdays!

(PS to Deanne, I've learned to get help for anything over 100 pounds. Too much risk. The gardener is as important as the garden, and if out of commission nothing will get done.)

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

{{gwi:157475}}
    ***Happy Birthday Woody***

• denisez10
    15 years ago

What vicarious pleasures to enjoy today, Cindy & Cynthia's nursery trip, PM's excursion, Michelle's gorgeous borders. Such a tragedy the nursery will be no more, and I'd heed bug's advice to keep a lookout for a garden fixture sale. I've got lots of coprosmas around, they're irresistible. Kathy, I've got your lobelia too, but because I do stuff plants in (yes, Deanne!) I had to hunt for it and pull some neighbors off it. What a beautiful plant it is in your garden.

Cynthia, that BBP has your name on it! Another acronym to add to the FAQ page.

My containers are pretty much full year-round, except for plants like coleus, which get tossed in fall, so I don't have the major shifting and filling spring and fall, but cutting back on water use is more my motivation for fewer pots this year. I'll probably dismantle the mossed succulents too. They go longer between watering in terracotta.

Jerri, such sadness. Our Newf Pamela's litter of eight had seven stillborn. It's funny how it does make one feel like such a failure, but as PM notes it's probably for the best.

Deanne, I especially noticed that plectranthus which I also bought this spring. Lost the tag but remembered "lace" and a Google brought up 'Emerald Lace.' See if that doesn't fit your new plectran. I've tried that pinked stripy tradescantia next to it too, but it sulked horribly for me. Can't wait to see that pot knit together for you. I'm deliberately avoiding comment on your moving a 110-pound cement planter.

'bug, at least with his new stepmom Skyler's got a well-informed advocate for his health, and a biologist to boot! The holistic v. traditional issues sounds like a minefield, especially with a mechanical valvular failure as opposed to, for example, treating an autoimmune problem holistically. Oy!

For our beekeeper: Marty's employer, City of LA, does a yearly tree giveaway, and he always gets a few since there's usually a lot of takers for free trees. This year a new seedless variety mandarin orange was included which we gave to the next-door neighbor, and while googling the variety I came upon the fact that since seedless varieties will revert to seeds if pollinated naturally, by BEES, that this is "discouraged," tho wasn't clear how. But Spain actually destroys the bees to save their seedless crops, since they're a huge exporter of mandarins and tangerines (word comes from "Tangiers."). The Pixie variety mandarin doesn't last long here at farmer's markets, carted off by the case by its fans when in season. It is a truly glorious thing to eat. With citrus, watermelon, grapes going seedless, it just might be another piece of the puzzle as to why bees are struggling.

Yesterday all four of our schedules converged to allow a Friday matinee, a rare event, to see the new Indiana Jones movie, which I'm happy to report is not bad. Afterwards a trip to the pub, where it's nice to see your 25 yr old son still get carded.

It started spitting rain Thurs night, which was quite a novelty, then actually started pouring real rain last night. This morning there was a 10-min downpour, and I filled a trash barrel full of rain. Unheard of for this time of year. Here's Woody's b'day shot, the smoke tree frizzed with rain.

Happy Birthday, Woody!

{{gwi:157476}}

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Saturday morning Idylling is the best ! Ive already been to the grocery store, and we are on tap for overcast skies and a slight chance of showers-it sounds like the rain diverted down Denises way.

Cindy, I was disappointed that you didnt figure out a way to post photos of you and Chloe rolling on the new carpet, lol !

And Deanne, re; your comment on L. laxiflora , and your unsuitable climate---since when did that ever stop you ??? Dont you need a few more pots for your basement next year ?

Basic green and variegated Coprosma is a pretty commonly used landscape shrub here..I love the way Michelle used the rocks in the photos she posted this morning..very artful design. We all seem to be zooming back and forth between the garden and the computer .

Okay, time to get to work spreading some compost and then tackling the garage. Back later

Kathy in Napa

Happy Birthday Woody !!!

{{gwi:157477}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I love Saturdays too. :-)

Gardenbug...I definitely lean toward holistic and alternative medicine because it has helped me at times when standard medical treatment has failed miserably. In the case of a heart valve though, it is hard to imagine there is an alternative treatment to surgery. I can see the consideration of long term meds after surgery though. Blood thinners the rest of your life might be something I might research to see if there was a feasible alternative. The level in the blood has to be so precise though, I would think it would give his heart doctor fits to even consider doing anything to complicate things further and who could blame them. Still, the bottom line is always what is going to be the best long term solution that will preserve as much of his health as possible. He is so young to have to face valve replacement. Always good to look at all your options, which it sounds like is just what you are doing.

I am so excited! We made a trip to a nursery, that I think I read Sue post about on a NE Gardening forum post. Perennials by Susan. It was about a 50 minute ride, but we enjoy a weekend ride sometimes and we were just in the mood. Very nice woman. Started as a hobby and turned it into a business for the past 30 years. Not even a facility, just her house and property. No signs, nothing. Very interesting...lol. Very healthy plant material. Imagine our surprise to learn as she walked us around the property with a cane, she was 10 weeks out of both knees being replaced. [g] Amazing. Anyway....what I am excited about is what I brought home from Susan. A Japanese Jack in the Pulpit, they started from seed. We had just started walking past a border and were turning a corner and stopped dead in our tracks looking at this HUGE black Jack sticking up through variegated foliage, with the whitest largest almost mushroom shaped bud inside it. The back of it was black striped. It was amazing. She had one for sale, that was younger than hers and not as large, but it had a flower on it, so home it came. I am really too tired to go out and take a photo. But as soon as I get a thimble of energy back, I will post it for Woody's BD greeting. :-)

pm2

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

{{gwi:157479}}

If you look carefully, you will find one brindle dog butt, and one entire dog somewhere in this picture :)

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

And the long weekend continues..It rained most of the day here-light rain, no wind, and I think we got enough to actually allow me to skip watering this weekend. So, I spent most of the day cleaning the garage and doing laundry. The garage looks pretty good considering there is still way too much crap-ola in it, and I am storing packed boxes in there as well. The rain stopped about a half hour ago so I went on snail patrol-this is perfect weather for the hateful little devils-about 60 degrees, no sun, and everything is wet. I caught a few in the act. Needless to say they are no longer with us (inject maniacal laughter here) and the Sluggo has been distributed.
    I really need that Plectranthus that Denise IDd in Deannes pic. That genus has certainly come a long way availability-wise since the olden days when we all had creeping charlies hanging in our houses (in macramé of course) .

Cynthia, found the doggies in Woodys card.. I love photos of your garden. Keep em coming !

Denise, believe me I am right there with you on the pack em in and air circulation be-damned mode ! At least you can pretend the weeds arent there since you cant see them . Im bummed that you have to dis-assemble your moss basket succulents , Water rationing will be happening up here but so far it is East Bay (Berkeley, Hayward etc) and no talk of it in Napa county yet. One thing I am going to do is to fill my two watering cans while I wait for water to be hot in the kitchen. I would be able to water several containers with water that is usually wasted.

PM, I do stake my Delphs but could probably do a better job of it. Below see a couple of pics from this week.

Good Saturday evening to all!

Kathy in Napa

{{gwi:157482}}

{{gwi:157484}}

• just_t
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Woody!!!!

I haven't read for a couple days but did see some photos that say Happy Birthday to Woody and I just wanted to add my good wishes that she have a wonderful birthday. I hope to catch up with everyone soon.

I'm such a rotten Idyll friend.....don't mean to be, but that seems to be how my life is right now unfortunately.

Hello and my best to all!!

T.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Kathy, I know that I've mentioned it before, but I'm not sure you would have been here yet, but the garden with the rocks is an attempt to disguise an ugly well pit and water meter. Near the middle you see a hump, that's it and the birdhouse covers the water meter. Who would put such an ugly thing in the front yard. Only on a farm LOL

PM2, your excursion sounds like a nice way to spend a weekend afternoon.

Cynthia, I just love seeing pictures of your garden. Its so interesting.

Deanne, Doug sounds like he is very clever. I hope it works for Charles.

We enjoyed the garden tour and the nursery stock. Kenzie, my mom and I went. DD isn't a bit interested and she needed to clean up her house for a 2nd visit from househunters. Kenzie saw some calendulas in bloom and twisted my arm to buy them for her ;o) The day was horribly windy, damp and cool. The sun shone briefly after I got home.

Since the Secret Garden is to the north of the spruces I had some break from the wind, so I worked on the shed. Since it is 40 years old, some of the trim needed replacing, I'm pleased to say that I did this all myself. I'm quite proud of my carpentry skills. I also painted the floor which was spotted with white paint. The outside still needs painting, so its all an ongoing project.

A little birdie told me it was Woody's birthday.

{{gwi:157488}}

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Good morning all!

I packed up my family and sent them off to Maine yesterday before the sun was peeking over the hill in the back :) I decided that yesterday would be my "indoor accomplishments" day and FINISHED wallpapering my dining room! I woke this morning just as surprised as I was last night when I went to bed. Nick will be shocked! I just haven't felt like I've had the time or energy all at the same time.

I spent breaks SALATing on the deck :)

Today is ALL DAY outdoors day :) I'm considering painting my front porch - it's primed and ready for the finish coat. Nick bought the supplies last weekend, but didn't get around to it, so I won't even have to leave the "station" :) to get supplies.

Michelle, that garden is a beautiful disguise! I can't wait to see the playhouse as it comes together - what color is the floor now? Calendula is perfect for "petal picking."

I LOL at the visual of Cindy and Chloe rolling around together! How nice that the Idyll Twonion got together for nursery haunts! You guys scored good!

Water rations would be hard for me. I am frivolous with my watering can :) I do turn off the water for teeth brushing, though. Luckily I live in a town that sits on water and even sells to the towns around us, so we have never seen a ban on water here.

There's a big old Blue Jay that keeps sitting on my bee hive! He keeps turning his head as if he's watching or listening to them. I wonder if they eat bees? I have seen them clean out a paper wasp nest in the winter (I'm assuming they were after the larvae).

Time to google....

TTYL with a card for Woody, too (must find some beauty to "shoot")

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Yes, it is a shame to lose another nursery and to developers is worse. I agree, with the market what it is why more housing now, but the property itself is in a residential area of expensive homes and must be a real jewel that lots of people have had their eye on for a long time. Also, the owner has gotten older and ill.

Michelle....what an ingenious idea to disguise your water meter and well pit. I would never have guessed. I love rock gardens and you have done a nice job with yours. I see you have some dianthus edging your rocks. One of my favorites of late, since I discovered they winter sow so easily, dependably and grow so fast. If I don't like them or they get too messy I can start over. I have a pile of them that I am anxiously waiting to see what they will do this year. I have winter sown lots the last three years. So far, my favorite are Siberian Blues. Phlox subulata is another favorite. I love your short white tulips and iris.

Isn't it nice to have someone in the family interested in gardens with you? Glad you have Kenzie. Does it surprise you that DD isn't interested? I still find it so hard to understand why everyone in the world isn't interested in gardens...lol. So you are going ahead with the Secret Garden....I was thinking, what about a Pussy Willow Bush? Plus one of those very white variegated Willow shrubs. I always wish I could grow them but they want a lot of moisture and I have the opposite. Very cute baby bird! Looks like he just got out of bed. lol

Kathy...Ahhhh! Delphiniums! One of my favorites. I love the one with the white center. SO pretty! I haven't even staked mine yet and better hop to it. I'm never happy with the way I do mine either. :-) You are pretty far ahead of me I can see. We have to start on our garage soon too. You are just so on top of things, Kathy! Did you use any organizers in the garage?

Cynthia...where's Waldo? lol I can see them both. :-) What a lovely garden. Is that a grass behind the birdbath? I really love the way it highlights the color of the birdbath. The archway over the steps is nice too. Such a pretty mature garden. You must have been working in it for a long time.

Denise...I love your photo of your smoke tree. I may have to put that on the list of what to replace the SGold with. Nice shot too. Did you actually get the rain drops to freeze in mid air?

I had a conversation with DD on the way to work on Thursday about Harrison Ford being too old for another Indiana Jones movie. She said 'oh mom, he's not that old.' I said...'he is older than I am, and he has to be in his mid sixties.' She was incredulous and insisted he couldn't be more than in his mid fifties. She googled it when she got to work and emailed me that I was right. She couldn't believe he is 65. Ah, love those words coming from DD. [g] I have to savor them since it is only recently that I started hearing that once in awhile...lol.

Deanne, that heuchera is a gorgeous color. Blackest I've seen.

Well....another really gorgeous day shaping up out there again and mulching is waiting for us today. Finally getting some things looking ready for the summer. Weather is still cool enough to work, what could be better than that? I hope you all have this nice weekend weather. Hello to all...

pm2

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

WOODY, A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!

{{gwi:157489}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Woody...hope your Birthday was spent doing what you enjoy most.

Happy Birthday!!

{{gwi:157490}}

pm2

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

I missed the sunrise this morning, but Westerland made up for it :)

{{gwi:157491}}

I had taken the camera out to get a shot of Complicata, but it doesn't bloom until the sun is on it and it faces south so... a while yet. A single petaled wild looking rose that only blooms once a season.

I did notice Climbing Pinkie has nicely smothered the lampost... and the white clem that used to be the star there. A little remains on the driveway side.

{{gwi:157492}}

The driveway behind it is covered in orange debris from the tulip poplars. (I prefer Denise's Jacaranda colored drive.)

Here's the doo dad I picked up at the mid atlantic idylltwonion. (Thank you for picking up on my word play Saucy :)

{{gwi:157493}}

All the debris under pergola is related to my wisteria IED. I bagged the worst of it, but need to go through with the blower and a bucket of water for the furniture, which some one brighter would have moved out first.

The black windchimes have six foot pipes, weigh about 40 pounds and sound like a cathedral. Deep calm tones that ripple in your chest when you hear them. I bought them last summer during a two week period when Katie didn't go to the vet so I was feeling flush. It's probably the most frivolous money I've ever spent and I am so proud of myself for not passing them up :)

Denise, is that Grace blooming? I bought that last year because the foliage on yours is so stunning, the blooms in the rain just striking - I need new adjectives here. You captured it beautifully.

Kathy, I grew delphs in NH, but too hot and humid here (usually) to do a good job with them. Is there anything you can't grow? :-)

Michelle, what a sweet photo of the birdy! And you should be proud of you carpentry skills. Cindy mentioned that we should have some sort of workshop where skilled idylers teach the rest of us. I also want to learn hypertuffa from Saucy, and felting from Mary.

Ok, I didn't get the side and back lawns mowed last night. Went out after supper and my 'nice' neighbors were having a party, so decided to be neighborly and wait a day. It was a church party (men wore suits!), but they had a live rock band which went on past 11PM... I slept on the other side of house with closed windows so no problem.

PM, Glad you found a treasure from your trip. I remember Sue mentioning that place. Do you have to call in advance? Yes, that's Hakonechloa macra (Aurea?)next to the birdbath. One of the few grasses which will grow in shade. That garden is my oldest, at 8 years. Hard to believe I've been here that long!

And a clear blue day here with temps not expected to top 70F. The lawn mower gets to wake up now.

Have a good day all, and special Hi to T!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hope you had a wonderful weekend my friend!

{{gwi:157495}}

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

I'm sorry this is so late....I hope you both had a wonderful day on your birthdays....

{{gwi:157496}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just posted some garden photos if you care to peek.

http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forum/messages/4335/111160728.html

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Gorgeous here - a full day in the garden I hope with a lunch break bike ride with David and friend to a Creperie on the canal. Annie is with her grown cousin in Philly for the weekend - we both drove to Binghamton for lunch and she went on from there. I rather miss her but am sure she is having fun. David is making up for her absence with extra high spirits and spent the morning practicing his golf swing aiming wiffle balls at my backside as I gardened. He has annoyingly good aim.

Mary

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Thanks for the beatiful birthday pictures everyone! I did indeed spend the day doing what I like best - i.e. mostly garden things.... Today was another beautiful day spent mostly in the garden.

The first thing we did yesterday was plant a white redbud tree. I much prefer them to the pink ones. This is a really bad photo (the sun was too bright and I couldn't see what was on the little screen on the camera!) but here is the new tree:
    {{gwi:157497}}
    There is one already in the garden over where you can see the bare trunk of the pine. The older white redbud is just about to bloom (it's always later than the pink ones...) I thought it might be visible in this picture but it doesn't really show up at all.

Yesterday, we had intended to do some plant shopping with friends in the afternoon and then go to their place for supper. We had an abrupt change of plans around noon though when my friend's father came down with the intestinal bug her youngest daughter had had earlier last week! So we met them to do some plant shopping and then came back home. We've rescheduled supper for next weekend. My friend brought the cake she had made to the garden center with her so I went home with a couple of plants (nothing too interesting...) and a cake! (Since Randy also made a cake yesterday morning, I had two birthday cakes!)

My friend was mainly looking for annuals to make a 'moon garden' for her little girls. For any of you grannies or for anyone with young children, you might enjoy the 'Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots' book I gave my friend's girls for Christmas a couple of years ago. Last year they planted the Sunflower House and this year they're doing the Moon Garden. Amongst other things, the book provides 'recipes' for gardens like that. Here we're checking what else my friend needs to find:
    {{gwi:157498}}

Today's big project was getting the posts for the rose swag into the ground. Randy dug the second pair of holes yesterday and we got the posts set in concrete today. Next weekend we'll get the chains up - for now we'll hang the chains high; I expect ultimately to have two or three tiers of chain running along the posts to maximize how many canes we can tie in. The posts are cedar and we'll let them age to gray.
    {{gwi:157499}}

After we finished the posts, we planted a few things from the pot ghetto and then went for a nice walk along the lake.
    {{gwi:157501}}

And a couple of plant pictures from today... My Jack Frost brunneras were a lot later to bloom than gb's but they're blooming really well this year. I really like this one in the north alley:
    {{gwi:157503}}
    Also in the north alley, the astilboides is off to a roaring start!
    {{gwi:157507}}
    The 'Randy' magnolia is fading now but still looks pretty with the Viburnum lantana companion behind it.
    {{gwi:157510}}

I was hoping to have a picture of the chinese wisteria in bloom by now but it's being very slow to strut its stuff! Hopefully this week it'll bloom; the buds are extending now but only barely showing color on a few.

Shish kabobs on the BBQ await...

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

What a treat to get so many nice pics from Woody. Even an action shot of garden center shopping-made me think it would be fun to post pics of our fave garden centers. PM and Woody may have started a trend.
    I did errands in the morning and spent the rest of the day in the garden-the predicted rain did not show up. After the close inspection of my succulents after the vacuuming on Friday I noted that one of my Thomas Hobbs-ian succulent pizzas was in need of renovation. Yesterday I made a sweep of all the discount store garden centers in town which I have found for some unknown reason to have some pretty nice selections of cactus and succulents early in the season. I made a nice score at Home Cheapo and even got one at the fake garden center that appears outside of my grocery store in spring. I have posted below the before and after pics. I found about 10 snails using this pot for a hotel .
    So I have also noticed for about the last 2 or 3 years that my Nora Leigh phlox is reverting. This year over half the plant has come up with green foliage. Anyone else have this happen ? Kind of a bummer .

Now that the roses have ended their first bloom cycle I have turned my attention to the dayliles which seem to be opening now at a speedy pace. Its fun because most of them were new to me last year and Ive forgotten what they looked like, lol! And of course with dayliles what they look like one year may or may not be what they look like the next. I will post a couple of pics soon.

Tomorrow I plan to go nowhere all day-car stays in the garage. Still lots to do in the garden.

PM, I dont thin I responded to your question about what I used to vacuum the succulents, and it was indeed my little 1 gallon ShopVac, portable and easy to drag to the back yard. Fabu-fabu J in P on Woodys card ! Dont blame you at all for snatching that up.

Cynthia, since you asked, I cant grow Lupins, Physotegia , and can barely grow tuberous begonias. The begonia thing frustrates the hell out of me. We are in a good climate here though not as good as closer to the coast, and I follow the growers instructions diligently. Still I get no blooms till September , and not very many at that. I must have some odd micro climate going on here.

As usual , wonderful photos from bug on the link she posted.

Ok thats all for me, got to go back out and clean up all the tools etc that I left laying around

Hello to all, and mias too-Honey, Eden , Chelone, Babs, Wendy, Dremasure I missed afew..

Kathy in Napa

Before-these were dug out and transplanted to the garden.

{{gwi:157511}}

After, all snails dispatched, new soil and discount store selections..

{{gwi:157512}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I think we are still married! DH dug out a Mrs Robert Brydon clematis which had roots deeep deeeep deeeeep into the ground. He said he heard some tonal Chinese language being spoken at the base of the hole! There were many shovels, broken stems, chopped off roots, etc. But it has been moved and a rose and two other clematis now live there. DH has showered and then we bought groceries for tuesday's party.

Earlier in the day he brought me a rusty sculpture of a bird. I'll try to share that with you another day. I gather he picked it up from a fellow selling them at a gas station...It's OK, but not my heart's desire. I'm really surprised though because he hates 'things' in the garden...even ones I love.

Here are today's photo postings for you. This should have been the robin thread!
    {{gwi:157513}}

{{gwi:157514}}

Bonne Nuit!
    'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning! I can't believe it is another gorgeous day out there. I can't remember the last time we actually had a long holiday weekend with weather so beautiful you could actually enjoy it. [g] We did something very rare yesterday....we actually sat in the yard. lol We normally are always working in the garden, but DD came home from three days of participating in a wedding of a friend and was tired enough to slow her down. So we dragged the lounge chair out of the basement and she fell asleep listening to the birds. DH read the paper and we saw a pair of neon orange orioles for the third time this spring. I turned on the sprinkler....we are dry here....and while watching the soothing motion of the sprinkler, I did some LALATing [Lounging and looking at things] Now that doesn't quite roll off the tongue. :-)

Marian! How nice to see you posting! What is the name of that very colorful iris? It is quite eye catching. Do you have a lot of iris? I had never grown an iris until someone gave me two clumps at a swap about three years ago. Last year I made my first iris order. I ordered three and they added a bonus, so four lovely rhizomes arrive from Mid America. I follow specific instructions to the letter to pot them up. The next morning I head for the pots to see how they are doing and the darling squirrels had dug them up and run off with all but one of them. I tried salvaging the one that was left, which had bite marks in it and managed to repot and later get it into the garden. But I had no idea which one I had left. Here it is! I had to post a photo to ID it on the Iris Forum because it wasn't any of those I ordered, but was the bonus they sent. It is called 'I'm Back' and was a Thomas Johnson 2007 introduction apparently.

{{gwi:157515}}

So how are you doing Marian, and what is new in your neck of the woods?

Cynthia...I am enjoying your garden. Love your Climbing Pinkie. So full of blooms! I envy you your huge windchime. I am collecting windchimes now but DH does not like the sound of a loud one, so I am limiting mine to soft sounds.

Gardenbug....your spring garden is so chockful of gorgeous plants. It must be amazing in person. Do you have a lot of fragrant plants? Great shot of the robin and her eggs. They are quite large aren't they? Love that color!

Mary...DS has quite a sense of humor....lol. And so do you! :-)

Woody....I really enjoyed your photos! I would bet your friend was very glad to have you with her at the nursery. You are quite the busy bee. I bet you can't wait to see the swagged rose starting down the chains...and I can't either. :-)

Kathy...I do like that idea of taking photos at garden centers. I would love to see the one you buy your succulents at. I always try to remember my camera in case I see something I want to think about later. Love your new succulent arrangement and the pot is a beauty! I have a Nora Leigh which is coming in variegated again but it is only my second year with it. Sorry to hear it may convert. My Frosty Morn Sedum had a lot of green on it this year, but I just pull off those and it seems to fill in fine. BTW, speaking of begonias, where are photos of your collection?

The JJinTP, had been grown from seed and apparently took 4-5yrs to produce the bloom. I know they do winter sow quite well, but who wants to wait that long to see a bloom? A plant I can be quite happy having just one of. :-)

Happy Memorial Day!
    pm2

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I'm feeling a bit sore after yesterday's accomplishments :) I removed an overgrown "foundation" shrub grown too close to the front porch, and in the way of my paint job! I tied it up to the truck and pulled it out of the ground, chopped it into manageable Saucy-sized pieces and carted it off to the woods.

Then I potted up plants, but still not done.

And then a friend made a surprise visit - with cheese! She brought a picnic and we ate on the deck surrounded by the newly potted plants.

It has been a good productive weekend - I am inspired to continue today :)

Woody, I too am excited about seeing the progression of the rose along the chains! Your brunnera is stunning - that's my favorite color in the garden.

Kathy, where does a snail live in a pot? On the bottom? No snails here, but we had lots in TN.

What a perfect Robin's home! She's a smart bird and picked a good spot :) Very cozy. I was peeking in at my bird's nest yesterday - no chicks yet.

Before I forget: the reason I fed the bees was because they had been in transit so were locked inside with no pollen coming in....and when they arrived here, they needed a couple of days to get their bearings (same way you and I do when we move to a new town - figure out how to get to the grocery and back....bees figure out how to get to the food and back). If the queen sees food production grind to a hault, she will quit laying eggs, which slows the whole growth of the hive.

The total number of bees in a good healthy hive is around 40,000. I think I started with around 10,000.

At least that's what the novice gathers from her meager teachings :)

Anyway, they're all coming in with bright yellow pollen and seem to have adjusted nicely - they've formed a bee line, and have stopped eating the sugar syrup, which I would guess means they are finding food on their own :)

Maybe pictures today as we're supposed to suit up and check the inside of the hive :)

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

{{gwi:157516}}

Bzzzz! Another National Geographic photo of a Honeybee.

Saucy, are you eating Wheaties for breakfast these days?! [g]

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

As if one day a year were enough to remember those who paid the price for our freedom, today is that day. My insufficient gratitude to those who sacrificed everything for this country.

And yet another beautiful day to enjoy!

Wonderful pics yesterday! GB's nestled Robin, Kathy's blues and terra cotta, and Woody's 'Day in a Life.'

PM, the name of your saved Iris seems prophetic :) And I'm with your husband on the wind chimes. The tinkly ones are grating and unfortunately what most people cringe from when you say 'wind chime'. I have a set of that type given by a well meaning friend. They're on the far right in the photo above, and I purposefully tangled the cords so that they won't ring :) The ones I like are thick walled and low toned sounding like bells not chimes. If you go to this link, you can click on the green 'listen' button right under the picture to get an idea of what mine sounds like - though I swear mine are even deeper toned!

40,000 bees Saucy! I had no idea there were that many in a hive. There was a swarm in a neighbor's yard last week. I don't know what kind of bees, but they now live in a tree there. There are fat lazy bees in my yard that Dannie snaps at and she's managed to catch a few in her mouth. I cringe and worry and sometimes dance oddly when this happens - cause I don't know what else to do.

I finally got the back and side yards mowed yesterday, and kept going to the front. Now everything looks tidy, and I can play today. More patio clean-up. I washed the patio furniture yesterday and sponged down the more grungy looking pots. Problem with shiny ceramic is that rain splashes pollen and dirt on their sides. I was going to move the grill so that it would be under the flood light, but had padlocked it to one leg of pergola. I did find (what I think it) the right key, but the lock won't open. WD80 (WD40 inflation) applied to all openings, but no effect.

I hit Joanne's fabrics yesterday with my weekly 40% off coupon and channeled Mary to help me pick fabric for the wicker chair I've dragged into the sewing room. But she was facilitating target practice in her garden and couldn't be bothered. So I ended up with beige ticking and a dark brown moire patterned fabric with quiet -almost invisible- light dots in it. Will do different sides of cushions in each. And the splurginess is fancy satiny braided piping for edges. I should have bought foam for the wicker footstool pad.

Off to the morning in the yard.

Cynthia

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

What a weekend! Just perfect weather for gardening and hanging out and though the pollen is extreme, everything smells delicious outside!

Happy Birthday to Woody! I'll grab some shots for you as soon as the camera battery gets replaced.

Raised bed is planted: 'Early Girl', mini yellow pear and 'Pruden's Purple' tomatoes; scallions en masse, carrots (kid request), radish (Kyle request), white patty-pan squash!!!!, crookneck yellow squash, purple and red and yellow peppers, two pumpkin seeds just for fun.

Marigolds and Liquid Fence ring the area for rabbit abatement. I've been using the dog training techniques described here to train the rabbits. Maybe it's the bright sun causing muddled brainwaves but they seem to be listening! "Shoo" sends them scurrying to the woods where before they would just look at you as if to say "stupid human, we know you're not going to hurt us so we'll just keep munching on your new growth." Neighborhood kids are astounded.

PM2 -- We're still trying to figure out weekend activities. If people would only stop being sick and/or stupid life would be much easier :-)

Most containers now have mix in them and most will also have lilac wave petunias involved :-) Never a bad thing ...

Found Deanne's article at HD during an emergency run for more deck stain yesterday. The pics looks "more like you" than any other I've seen, and of course the containers are FF++++.

Need to go WALAT a bit and will then venture to a very local nursery for a few odds and ends. My First Trip To A Nursery This Year!!! Sticking to plans is not always fun. LOL

Thinking of all, particularly Skyler's immediate and extended families. It's not easy to be a step-mom or a mom of a great kid with a step-mom. I've been both and the line one needs to walk can be pretty thin. As long as Skyler knows he's loved by all, everything will work out in the end. Just curious where Skyler would want to go to school if he was old enough to have a vote .....

Best to all.

Martie

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Prairiemoon, we are in a grieving mode here. One of Nolon's 1st cousin's granddaughters was killed in a head on wreck Saturday morning. She had just turned 17. She was on her way to work. Her father is the County Sheriff.

I don't know the name of the iris I posted, but I agree, it is very pretty.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Marian - my condolences to all of you! I always think a car accident is one of the hardest ways to lose someone. No warning, no time to mentally prepare yourself, just WHAM! When it's a child/teen or a parent of young children, it must be so devastating for the family. It must be particularly hard on her father, given his job where he's likely seen too much of that sort of thing.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very sorry to hear your sad news Marian. What a heart breaker. Another too short life. :(

As to Skyler and schooling, Martie, he has been begging to go to the school near DD's house ever since they moved there. His best friend lives around the corner and he has many friends there. His biomom does not allow him to play with neighbor children.
    This weekend DD was caring for his best friend as well. They all had a fine time because DD gave them some challenges: walking home alone from the variety store together (one street crossing) and also walking home together from the nearby school playground. They loved it and felt so grown up. Although Skyler is nine, he has not been allowed to do much on his own. He is a bit scatter brained, but we figure each responsibility will help him. Yesterday DD gave the biggest challenge: Take the path through the ravine to the other side, find a house with a #3 in its address, pick up a pebble from the property and bring it home to show me. WOW! They LOVED that one. The house number was 2432. :)
    And yes, Skyler knows he is loved by all, but he also knows things are dicey now and again and is sometimes told that is because HE is BAD. Tough business. Recently his Mom has been trying hard to make wise decisions. Wouldn't it be nice if it lasted! It is all incredibly complicated....

I edged a very difficult area of the veg garden this morning. Only 3 more sides to go! I am hoping my friends will come tomorrow to tidy up a bit before the company arrives! I need them and they need me...so it should work!

Cynthia...your projects for this weekend sound wonderful. I hope you have a perfect relaxing day enjoying the spruced up garden.

Saucy, eager for your photos!

Fabu-Fabu iris PM2! Right off, I can't think of many scented plants here. Perhaps that is due to the "fresh country air" LOL in this rural farm area. Even some of the lilacs have little scent. I need to think about this! An excuse for more plants???

Ciao!
    'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Marian...so very sorry to hear about your grand niece, correct? There is something so shocking to see a young person with their whole life ahead of them, die senselessly in a traffic accident. Very difficult! One of a parent's worst nightmares. My sincere sympathies to your whole family.

pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

DH attended the memorial service this morning in a neighboring town. He has only missed a couple of times. We have already been watching some of our favorite related movies, of which there are many. We were watching Von Ryan's Express on PBS yesterday. The Longest Day is one of our favorites, but haven't seen that one on lately. Tora, Tora, Tora, is another one. Anyone have other favorites?

Cynthia...I didn't realize they had mp3s of wind chimes online. I had fun listening to them, thanks for the link. :-) Yours sounds very full bodied for sure! I had not even connected the name with the fact it was the only Iris that came back...lol. Good catch Cynthia! That will stick with me every time that iris blooms now.

Martie...no worries. That is how it goes sometimes. :-) Yes, it smells wonderful here too. Lilac pallibin just opening and smells yummy!

I haven't even started my veggie garden yet. I haven't bought tomato plants and for sure what I want will be all gone by now. At least that is what happened last year. I have one chance of finding some at the local swap next weekend though.

pm2