Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

Spring at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum

michelle_zone4
17 years ago

Nothing says spring like azaleas. These are the Northern Lights series that were developed at the University.

{{gwi:157533}}

Since it is 1000 acres, some areas are more natural, such as woods or prairie.

{{gwi:157534}}

{{gwi:157535}}

{{gwi:157536}}

{{gwi:157538}}

This was from the backyard demonstration area.

{{gwi:157539}}

Japense Garden:

{{gwi:157540}}

Lots of tulips in bloom:

{{gwi:157541}}

There's a small but very interesting conservatory.

{{gwi:157542}}

Rock garden:

{{gwi:157543}}

A more formal area:

{{gwi:157544}}

Michelle

Comments (9)

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Oh Michelle...how lovely! What a treat this a.m. has been, between you and Marie! :-) The more I see of them, the more I'm loving "formal" gardens too. Well, in my next house, I'm going to include some areas for both formal gardens and cottage ones too! :-) Oh, that "green" picture with the lovely water's edge...wouldn't you like to just rest there right now? Lovely! And oh would I *love* to have a natural path of those lady slippers orchids (in the woodland garden in my next home...LOL)...Wouldn't that be a blessing? Ah, perchance to dream! Thanks again Michelle...I really do love seeing all this inspiration! Well, I really have to go now or I'll miss the parade. Have a great day! Ei

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Wow Michelle, I'm usually not much of a fan of azaleas but those are beautiful. My mom and dad have the yellow lady slippers all around their place up in northern MI. I love them too. The formal gardens are neat too, but I'd never have the discipline to create one for myself. Thanks for taking us on the tour.

Eden

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

What a terrific selection of photos showing all different aspects of the place!!!

A thousand acres. Hmmm. Can't do that all by myself.... That backyard demo is a smart garden for people who entertain alot. NO MOWING! But for me, I always love the shady wild areas. Beautiful.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Another place to put on the list of gardens to visit. A thousand acres could keep me busy for quite a while. Thanks for the tour, Michelle!

Sue

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Michelle

Just beautiful - each area has a different feel and would be wonderful to browse. Your pictures do a great job of showing us the range of their garden areas. The ladies slipper orchids are lovely. I bought one of the orange Northern Lights Azealeas last fall. They sure do light up a dark area. The only problem is mine clashes horribly where I have it near our red door - perhaps it would be better viewed from a distance.

Thank you for sharing the pictures with us - I'm sure I'll be back to view them again.

Mary

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Gorgeous, Michelle - 1,000 acres? wow..... I love that demonstration garden -- you gave us a wonderful cross-section of the place & it's now on my places to see before I leave the planet!

Thanks for taking the time to post -- and the great photos!

Cindy

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Michelle,
    Wowza-what hot azalea colors! I love the natural settings the arboretum has. Do they have a tram or allow you to drive around the 1000 acres?

Monique

• taryn
    17 years ago

Stunning pics Michelle! Thanks for sharing....

Taryn

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Michelle, what a beautiful spot! I really like the rock garden area and the back yard demonstration area. I imagine I could have turned my hill into something like that rock garden and it would have been a heck of a lot easier to maintain than the things I have in there now. My hill drains water away like a screen so xeriscaping would have been a better choice than ligularia and cimicifuga. LOL

Thanks for taking the time to share your visit to the arboretum with us.

Deanne

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County