Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum

Posted by michelle_zone4 zone 4 NW IA (My Page) on
Mon, May 29, 06 at 9:15

Nothing says spring like azaleas. These are the Northern Lights series that were developed at the University.

Since it is 1000 acres, some areas are more natural, such as woods or prairie.

This was from the backyard demonstration area.

Japense Garden:

Lots of tulips in bloom:

There's a small but very interesting conservatory.

Rock garden:

A more formal area:

Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum

Oh Michelle...how lovely! What a treat this a.m. has been, between you and Marie! :-) The more I see of them, the more I'm loving "formal" gardens too. Well, in my next house, I'm going to include some areas for both formal gardens and cottage ones too! :-) Oh, that "green" picture with the lovely water's edge...wouldn't you like to just rest there right now? Lovely! And oh would I *love* to have a natural path of those lady slippers orchids (in the woodland garden in my next home...LOL)...Wouldn't that be a blessing? Ah, perchance to dream! Thanks again Michelle...I really do love seeing all this inspiration! Well, I really have to go now or I'll miss the parade. Have a great day! Ei

o

Wow Michelle, I'm usually not much of a fan of azaleas but those are beautiful. My mom and dad have the yellow lady slippers all around their place up in northern MI. I love them too. The formal gardens are neat too, but I'd never have the discipline to create one for myself. Thanks for taking us on the tour.

Eden

o

What a terrific selection of photos showing all different aspects of the place!!!

A thousand acres. Hmmm. Can't do that all by myself.... That backyard demo is a smart garden for people who entertain alot. NO MOWING! But for me, I always love the shady wild areas. Beautiful.

o

Another place to put on the list of gardens to visit. A thousand acres could keep me busy for quite a while. Thanks for the tour, Michelle!

Sue

o

Michelle

Just beautiful - each area has a different feel and would be wonderful to browse. Your pictures do a great job of showing us the range of their garden areas. The ladies slipper orchids are lovely. I bought one of the orange Northern Lights Azealeas last fall. They sure do light up a dark area. The only problem is mine clashes horribly where I have it near our red door - perhaps it would be better viewed from a distance.

Thank you for sharing the pictures with us - I'm sure I'll be back to view them again.

Mary

o

Gorgeous, Michelle - 1,000 acres? wow..... I love that demonstration garden -- you gave us a wonderful cross-section of the place & it's now on my places to see before I leave the planet!

Thanks for taking the time to post -- and the great photos!

Cindy

o

Michelle,
Wowza-what hot azalea colors! I love the natural settings the arboretum has. Do they have a tram or allow you to drive around the 1000 acres?

Monique

o

• Posted by taryn S Ontario Z6B (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 3, 06 at 0:18

Stunning pics Michelle! Thanks for sharing....

Taryn

o

Michelle, what a beautiful spot! I really like the rock garden area and the back yard demonstration area. I imagine I could have turned my hill into something like that rock garden and it would have been a heck of a lot easier to maintain than the things I have in there now. My hill drains water away like a screen so xeriscaping would have been a better choice than ligularia and cimicifuga. LOL

Thanks for taking the time to share your visit to the arboretum with us.

Deanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here