Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Garden & Plant Shopping finds....

Did some shopping on Saturday....

'Midnight Rose' Heuchera

{{gwi:157558}}

'Eternal Flame' Hosta with 'Black Magic' Elephant Ears. The BM is in a 2" pot, I wonder how large it will grow this year. DD didn't want it, so I have it. :-)

{{gwi:157560}}

Phlox divaricata

{{gwi:157562}}

NOID Yellow Iris

{{gwi:157564}}

White columbine with Honesty in the background and Francis William Hosta

{{gwi:157566}}

Close up of the pansies & peas.

{{gwi:157568}}

Hellebore seedlings...

{{gwi:157569}}

Something has been rolling around on what was a pristine Nepeta 'Kool Kat' [g]

{{gwi:157570}}

Comments (11)

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Great pics. I lke the "no-id' iris.
    And I espacialy love the "Midnight Rose" Hosta! I want one...lol.
    Phlox divaricata grows wild in these hills...I have some in my wildflower bed.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Shoot, I did it again...put the wrong name! Well, I still want one!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

I got one of those pretty 'Midnight Rose' heucheras last year - can't remember where I put it.... :- )

Does the yellow iris have a scent? I used to have a yellow one that smelled like lemons. I've been trying to find another one ever since - the original was a no-id one that came with our first house and I foolishly didn't take some with me....

The black EE is very appealing!

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Very, very pretty,, all of it PM. I just bought that Midnight Rose Heuchera myself. It's a beauty. Love those yellow iris.

Deanne

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I esp. love the phlox divaricata, although I can't seem to grow it. :( I do have two small sprouts up, but no blooms, and they've been in the ground for four years. Can't wait for mine to look like yours.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Lots of great choices there PM! My phlox just never seems to spread. I'd like a whole field of it! I'd love some of that weed-free space of yours too. ;)

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Great plants! I love the phlox but my one plant remains the same size every year. I also have lots of hellebore seedlings this year (orientalis and foetidus) which is so exciting. They didn't mind being moved and I'm hoping to set up a new colony. The heuchera is now offically on my "wish list"

Mary

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

I succumbed to Midnight Rose last year, and it's coming back nicely this year.

It took me a long time to figure out the NOID Iris.

V.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marian....you are lucky you have the phlox wild. Imagine, no waiting for it to increase and no care.

Woody, I will have to check tomorrow if the Iris is fragrant. I'll let you know. This particular Iris really grows fast and hasn't required any special attention. ....The Black Magic EE is not something I would usually try. I have never been pulled toward tropical looking plants. But Brent & Becky's sent an email with sale items and it got me reading about it and I was surprised at how large they get so quickly. So I'll try it for one season anyway. It will be fun.

Anita, maybe moving it might be worthwhile? This is the third season my phlox divaricata has been in that position. It has increased a little bit, but not as much as I wanted either. I have loamy clay and it is in almost full shade with some filtered light and very little direct light. I do have to use the sprinkler all summer because the tree roots really dry out that bed. I try to give it two inches of water once a week because of the Hydrangea in the same bed. I leave all the leaf litter from year to year and that's it. I will get around to buying more along with Tiarella that is too slow to spread too.

Gardenbug, we have 'weed-free' in a few 'in control' areas and at least an equal amount of out of control weedy areas too. I don't know how you do it on your large property. We have a 1/4 acre and can't stay on top of it all season. Maybe because I spend so much time ripping things out and redoing them. lol

The Hellebore seedlings are very exciting Mary. :-) I'm planning on moving mine around too. I may have more under another Hellebore. I just bought a blooming one in deep purple this weekend and ordered four more of the doubles this spring that will be sent later in the summer. I just love them.

Deanne, I look forward to seeing where you plant your Midnight Rose Heuchera. I am constantly buying plants with no idea where I am going to put them. :-)

V....I finally had to ask what NOID was. [g]

Gee, that is one popular Heuchera, everyone seems to have it. I had never heard of it until Saturday.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

The phlox and bleeding hearts look so sweet together and the yellow iris look great with the purple honesty. I've looked at that heuchera but so far have resisted. I bring home plants all the time that I have no idea where they will go. I'm a hopeless collector as I think many of us are.

Michelle

• chelone
    14 years ago

So pretty, PM. It's hard to believe the Elephant's Ear will amount to much at this stage, isn't it? DD doesn't know what she's missing, does she?

I have some Phlox divaricata that struggles on year to year, languishing between Polygonatum commutatum and a Blue Princess Holly. I don't the love the color (magenta) but haven't had the oomph to yank it or relocate it yet.

I think Marian has offered the clue to success with it, though. Lots of partial shade and moist, rich, humus-y soil. The conditions one finds in the wild.