Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmcilhargie

Idyll 318 Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Lara Noles
16 years ago

We see changes everyday in the garden...and in life too!

Carry on Idylls!

Here is a link that might be useful: Changes

Comments (101)

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cynthia, yes we are hopeless plant hoarders. Funny, I have an Ulmas carpinifolia variegata that I got at Variegated Foliage during IU2 sitting in a pot waiting too.

Deanne, I only had to drag in things I'd already planted in container gardens. The coleus, etc were already in the little greenhouse. I keep telling you that you need one!

Hi T! Don't wear yourself out with those babies. You're watching them alot! If I have Bella more that 3 days a week it just tires me out too much and I really don't feel my best, so I speak from experience. It's much harder work for a grandma that for a young mom I've come to realize. Don't forget to take care of you too! Thanks for the heads-up on the Joann's sale, now to get there before the lurkers do, lol.

I'm just about to put Bella down for a nap and grab a couple of hours of gardening time. It's beautiful out there!

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I'm indoors for a bit after weeding out one of the six rows of the vegetable garden. Thank goodness larkspur is easy to remove at this stage.

The asparagus is getting tall and with DH away, I'm not keeping up! Fortunately I gave some more away to my friend this morning.

I like to think of myself as a cat fancier, but when I get behind on the litter box, I fear I'm becoming a hoarder! With three cats I really must keep up with tidy-up duty, and there aren't many who offer to help around here!

I'm one of the quiet ones. I rarely listen to the car radio. I do have trouble driving because I tend to fall asleep at the wheel, so if I suspect my eyes will close, I try to sing along with an oldies station. I like the house quiet too. I guess that will change when grandkids visit, ya think?

You can really tell spring is here. How? Well today on an outing, I passed THREE police cars oozing along the highway or parked and watching. And where are they when the real jerks are out? Beats me!

So I picked up some pea gravel for improving drainage on my lewisia plant, bought some basil and green pepper seedlings, and (oh Deanna!) found two strange but interesting coleus! One was a broken stem which I filched and potted up, the other a potted one called Amora.

Well, although I should do something about the junk on every horizontal indoor surface (blush) I am headed out once more to mow. Again. Fortunately Charlotte does not touch counter tops, plastic bags or anything but cats. I don't wear makeup either, so she is in no danger of eating mascara or lipstick. I guess I'd need to change my ways were I to adopt a grey. Cynthia, so glad you found another good home for one of the needy.

Later,
    'bug

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Ah, the stuff I shovel pruned today! Very proud. Got rid of 3 Phlomis tuberosa (it really does have tubers!) which were suffering for lack of sun. This is one with gorgeous big leaves so I started them from seed 3 years in a row just to enjoy the seedlings indoors in winter. When I was in the front garden, a woman slowed down her car just to tell me how much she loved my front garden. I need to spend more time out front, the praise felt nice :-)

I've decided that white Alliums remind me too much of humongous dandelions gone to seed. I have noticed it in other years. Maybe just too many dandelions in the lawn this year so I'm sensitive to it.

Saucy, your business sounds like lots of fun - lots of work too I know, but having your own business requires a lot of creativity and strategy and sounds like you and your husband make a good team for this! I have never seen an Oriole, either in New England or in Maryland. My sister is near you and she spots them most every season.

GB, greyhounds right off the track are like full grown puppies. Tall enough to get into things, but they were protected from anything harmful, so would readily chew on a razor, or anything else left out that they could reach. Any food that was there's was put within their reach. So when they see food or anything interesting, they think it's theirs because it was always for them before. They learn of course, but when they come off of the track they need to be taught everything just like puppies. They're very docile and learn quickly though :-)

Oh, it's not A.Lutea, it's A.Damascena. Lutea is more common, probably why I typed that, and I actually don't really like the yellow one. I liked your white one GB! So if it's biennial, maybe I will put it in a pot so that I can be sure I see it when it blooms!

T, maybe you should plan to celebrat your birthday with us in July?!? Hint, hint. Well, I like the idea.....

Eden, I need to figure out the difference between carpinifolia and parvifolia...my latin is failing me here. Parvifolia means 'small leaves.'

Time goes by quickly when you're on vacation. Got to get back outside!

Later, Cynthia

• chelone
    16 years ago

LOL about the litterbox thing and multiple cats. I'm in AWE of Eden's solution. We've had between 3 and 5 cats for nigh on 16 years now and while they are permitted outdoors by day, inside is the rule at night. So, the litterbox is a necessity. Everyone gets along here, so we have one and it's in our bathroom. Under the sink counter. In plain view. But I "mine" that baby 3 times/day; first thing in the morning (before coffee making!), as soon as I get home from work, and just before I slink off to my bed. Droppings go into one of those biodegradable bags that I tie off when it's filled. That goes into a resealable tub until collection day. There's NO stink. It's just part of my routine (helpmeet never touches it unless I'm "away"). And the cats actually WAIT for me to clean it before they'll use it, lol. And yes, I scoop it out after they're finished. "Mummy cleaned your box for you! she cleaned it because she loves her little babykins and know you love a clean toidy... " . I'm certifiable. ;) Thanks Eden, for telling me I'm not a hoarder... I needed that. Good observation on Deanne, Cynthia.

I hope the cold is better, Deanne. I gotta hand it to you, NO WAY would I be willing to schlep annuals in and out of a garage! you "got it bad", girlfriend! I have purchased exactly NO annuals, nor have I even bothered to haul the big concrete urns out of the "board room". What's the point? it's too damn cold for annuals to do anything in the way of growing. I haven't even started watering the soil in the windowboxs preperatory to planting! I have looked for Browallia, though... have found none thusfar. What do you want to bet it will resurface as a "Proven Winner" next year? I don't have space or time to deal with seedlings, wish you were closer, Cynthia!

Would like to hear something from Norma, Yeona, and Sue... who's been uncharacteristically quiet.

Cindy, I feel the same way about sharing pictures of my gardens! I look at what others have done with zeal and the benefit of TIME and I'm blown away. It never occurs to me that someone might look at my gardens and think the same thing. Aren't we silly about that sort of thing, the whole lot of us?! I want to hear about that urn, its history, etc.. Please? And I'm going to repeat my heartfelt belief that those with very limited garden space are among the best gardeners "out there". Sure, you guys don't have much to fill... BUT! you have to get maximum bloom and show in a very limited space. And generally, with limited sunshine. I'm in total awe of your shrewd PLACEMENT and use of plant material. "Gaps" are not nearly as immediately apparent when the garden space is large and sprawling. Hat's off!! I want to see and hear more from you guys; you know how to "edit".

Brenda, the scale of farming in your area blows me away. I can't even feature the size of your fields... just not that way in New England, at all. I feel the same way when Michelle talks of wind. I have been thinking of "The Farmer's Wife" the PBS series of some years ago. I started to "get it" about farming in your area. And wasn't sure I thought the "system" was all that smart... heavily weighted in favor of agri-business. Thoughts/worries?

I have to go and kick the dog just to remind him who's boss.

• chelone
    16 years ago

LOL about full grown puppies, Cynthia. They are bred and raised to RUN, no need to teach them about "manners" unless the manners relate to their maintenance. Nail clipping, physical examinations, etc.. "Obedience" isn't important until they've outlived their usefulness on the track! Reminds me of Thoroughbreds sold for use as hacks. Very sophisticated when it comes to handling and professional interaction (trailering, veterinarians, or farriers=no problem)... but woefully ill prepared for life in the "slow lane"... routine things like sheets flapping on a clothesline or kids on bikes would freak them right out. It's about training! and the confidence training instills. It must be very hard to assess a potential home. I don't envy you your assigned task. I recall feeling nervous when required to fill out an appliction to adopt an animal from the shelter, ;). But when we went up to get Rex we saw our application and it said, "awesome home for Rex if they decide yes". The fit has to be right or the adoption will not be successful. Rex had been surrendered twice before and had passed through 3 shelters in his 1 1/2 yrs. on the planet. He was nowhere near as "socialized" as your Greys were/are.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cynthia, I think ulmus carpinifolia is smooth leaved elm.

Sounds like everyone's been keeping busy this afternoon. I went out and planted a few things while Bella was napping and then took her for a "ride" on her bike. She's doing puzzles now, but I need to whip her up something for dinner.

Here's to a nice Friday evening everyone! It's after 5pm so it's now officially the weekend!

Eden

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I'm about to burst! Today's mail produced our first company check. I thought both owners should be present to open it, so I am waiting (patiently?) for Nick....

Saucy

• chelone
    16 years ago

Oh Saucy! YIPPEEE!!!

What great news.

(the woodstove is up to temperature; and it's getting cozier in here)

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Evening all,

Well Doug is out looking at Heathers car which wouldnt start this AM. What a great Dad he is. Im back in the dining room easy chair after a lovely dinner of homemade turkey soup with fresh baked nine-grain bread. Yummy! Im thinking it is going to be an early night for me again. The cold dreary weather makes me tired.

So WooHoo Saucy!!!! Great news and congratulations to you and Nick!

Eden, I know, I know, I really do need one of those little greenhouses. I do have a couple of nice deep cold frames but they never got assembled and put up this spring for one reason or another. Too many other things going on I guess. But oh yes, we really are a pack of plant hoarders here. Im looking at my scads of coleus and wondering where the heck Im going to plant them all. LOL At least this year I have a reasonable amount of fuchsias. I didnt do nearly as many cuttings as the last couple years. Im actually feeling that a lot of the fun with the plants is going out in the spring and finding new ones so maybe Im going to cut back on my plant production next year. Although, I do have to mention here that I had a couple branches break of some coleus I potted up and I guess they sort of wound up in a glass of water to be rooted. LOL

So, Michelle, yes I still take cuttings, even when I dont need them.

Chelone, no kidding about ex-track thoroughbreds! They are complete zipperheads! Ive known quite a few people who had them and worked with them but that was not anything I ever wanted to deal with. Even the appendix quarter horses that are part thoroughbred can be pretty flighty. ~~ Yes indeed, I have to agree with you that Ive got it bad. LOL but when I see those four year old fuchsias blooming then I know its all worth it.

Cynthia, LOl about the white allium looking like overgrown dandelions. You are too funny and now Ill never see them the same way. Doesnt shovel pruning leave you with a sense of empowerment?

Bug, wish I was closer so I could be on the receiving end of some of that extra asparagus!

Nitey night all
    Deanne

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Saucy-My problem with days off is that they all come at once. (What a problem to have, eh?) Once I'm done in the fields, I pretty much do what I want, with my only obligations being that of a wife and mother to two grown kids and two dogs. That does eat up a fair amount of time, but I AM fortunate in my lifestyle...just get grumbly in the heat of the farming season, lol! Congrats on the first check!!!!!

Cynthia-When I want to feel neat and tidy, I go visit my one sister...she has to scoop things off the couch so you can sit down, and there are paths around stuff everywhere. The rest of us kids assume that her getting smacked in the head with a baseball as a child had some negative effect, lol! And, I am in NO way a compulsively neat person. My DB is half of a middle aged male couple, and he's constantly organizing and complaining about the mess....I have a feeling that the greyhound will be just fine :)

T-Sweet of you to give away your day, I bet it was greatly appreciated!

Deanne-Yeah, I go into serious gardening mode once the guys tell me I'm done. I try and do a little weeding, etc. here and there while we're farming, but end up playing a LOT of catch-up late in May. It's made me pretty good at moving/dividing at an off time and getting by with it. If you water a plant, spray it with Wilt-Pruf the next day and move it, it will almost always live. It may not be happy about it, but.....lol! Farming and gardening collide at both ends of the season, so I just do what I can. I have some VERY impressive wild oats growing in one of my flower beds right now. They're still green, so I have a bit of time to get rid of them before they drop seed. I just try and yank whatever is closest to seeding, and hope for the best on the rest. Yes, the APARTMENT that the lady with the 21 cats lives in is no treat to the olfactory system........like I said, sweet lady, but geeeez!

Chelone, the farming thing is all relative :) We have small fields compared to folks in Nebraska, Iowa, etc. I've seen on TV where crews with multiple combines travel through the corn belt doing MASSIVE harvesting operations. But, a 300 acre field looks mighty huge to me when I have to get across it with a 35' wide disk! And, as for wind, the kids were amazed at the difference between town and country after they moved from home. There's just nothing to stop the wind out here. Any time I read "sheltered location" in a plant description, I move on...ain't gonna happen here unless it's under a bushel basket. We watched "The Farmer's Wife" on PBS. It does seem to me that a lot of the profit from farming is realized by someone besides the actual farmer. I do hate to see family farming being taken over by "industrialized farming". Huge hog operations have driven people like us out of livestock. Part of me sees the business logic, but at the same time, there are an awful lot of eggs in one basket if disease goes through one of those big operations. I guess my greatest hope for the farming industry would be that we be able to make a decent living and not have to take government subsidies. There are so many loopholes and nonsense going on in those programs that it's unreal. Huge operations taking subsidies in several different names, amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars. In our case, for the past several years, the subsidies were the only thing that enabled us to stay in business. Oh, well, who ever said life was fair?? I'd rather have less money and have my lifestyle than to be rich and answering to someone else.

The day played out about as I expected. DS came over to use the computer and visit, and was here until about 1:30. I potted up some tomato plants while he was here...it's been too unpredictable to plant them out yet, and they weren't happy the way they were. He left and DH came in for lunch about 15 minutes later. He brought news that I didn't have to farm today. WOO HOO! BUT, I did have to take him to pick up a used flat-bed truck that he bought. It was located not far from the fields where we got caught in the storm. He was taking that truck to the fields down there, and was going to run my tractor for me. Then, he's driving it back to the shop...it's about an hour drive by tractor. I have to go to the shop and pick him up and take him BACK to where he parked the flat bed so he can drive it the rest of the way home. MY idea was for him to drive the flat bed home (a ten minute trip) and then I would take him back to the tractor, and have my freedom for the rest of the day. Somehow, my making two trips (and, once again, being ready to drop everything when the phone rings) made more sense. They won't let me be in charge, no matter HOW much I should be, lol! There is a bright side to everything, though. There's a lady who sells perennials along the way. Most things are $1 each, decent size starts. She has pretty common things, but I have a lot of space to fill, so stopped in there and dropped a $20 with no problem. Got home, and DD called to complain about DS..the living together is really not going that well. Big surprise. I had heard DS's side of the story while he was here. My input on both sides was pretty much "Grow up, be considerate of each other, and LEAVE ME OUT OF IT!" Phone just rang, DH is about 1/2 hour from being finished and will call me when he's close to the shop. Translated....he will call me so that when I get to the shop, I will sit and wait for about 20 minutes until he gets there. He hates to have to wait on a ride, LMAO!!! Sometimes, at the end of the day, I can't tell you exactly what I accomplished, but I know it was stuff that made me tired ;)

My "Buckeye Belle" peony has opened up, and is SO pretty! The sprig of wild oats growing next to it kind of adds something :) I've taken to calling that bed my "Zen" bed. There used to be a huge maple tree there that fell in a storm. Part was removed, and I'm left with some huge logs and a stump. When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade, I guess. It's turning into a decent garden, and a good life lesson. An older gentleman who used to farm and is now a landowner, stopped one day to tell me that he really admired what I was doing with it. What some would consider a disaster, I'm turning into a work of art. I think he's playing a bit fast and loose with the work of art analogy, but it sure made me feel good. My plan is to plant an oak tree there, and when the time comes, I want my ashes scattered there. Rather than a traditional headstone, I'd like a stone bench that says, "The true meaning of life is to plant a tree under who's shade you never plan to sit." Then, whatever happens to that flower bed happens. Must be the yoga, lol! And, for the gramatically gifted in the group....is it who's or whose??? Last week, Mom's "estate" was settled. We each ended up with $87 and change, but she was rich in family. I'm using mine to buy the oak tree...seems only right.
    And, with THAT bit of blathering, I'll sign off and go throw some laundry into the dryer.
    Have a great evening, everyone!
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Brenda, I feel as though I've just had lemonade with you! What a nice chat we had about farming, the kids, the oak tree. Just last weekend we planted a native oak in honor of our friend Ed. We sure hope it enjoys the spot we chose by the creek.

Oh!
    who's = who is - as in "Who's there?"
    whose = belonging to as in "Michelle, whose grandaughter is Kenzie"

DD just called. I always enjoy that of course, but remember the days when long distance calls were impossibly expensive. Her calls are free...for some reason I don't understand. Anyway, their old hot tub is now working and DGS is delighted! DSIL is about to return after two weeks away. The lasagna is ready, the garlic bread and salad too. They hope to get garden work done next week, before DSIL travels once more.

Time to sit back and read and then hit the sack. The plants are indoors once more. :)

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

We have a finch feeder hanging from the eave in front of the kitchen window. When we eat meals we can watch the finches. Tonight we had a blue bird at the feeder. I think it was an indigo bunting. I have never seen one here before.

We watched "The Farmers Wife" too, it was very depressing. I believe it was in Nebraska. I dont understand how they can farm in some of the western states. When we went west 2 summers ago, I was amazed at how pitiful the crops were. Very small and sparse. It hardly seemed worthwhile. We are very fortunate to live in Iowa "Where the tall corn grows"

Since Rick was in the field tonight, I had dinner alone. I enjoyed grilled asparagus, onions, peppers, mushrooms and shrimp all in a foil packet. Yummy! Along with a glass of wine.

Deanne, funny how your weather requires soup and bread and we are sipping smoothies because it was so warm here.

Chelone, I just picked up a 4 pack of Browallia. I have never grown it before.

Night all
    Michelle

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Good morning!

I just downloaded the June issue of Whole Dog Journal, and their Editorial this month is: 'Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes', with the subtitle 'Repeat after me: Problems bring opportunities.' I like it!

Yes, I think I would enjoy it if Brenda had her own Saturday morning show on NPR, so that I could listen to it in the kitchen. A very nice way to start the day :-)

Don't you have to frame the first check Saucy? (Ha.) I hope that you and your husband had a nice celebration opening it.

Turkey soup sounds like winter to me too Deanne. I had swordfish on the grill and garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus, and my special lemonade (the kind with vodka in it.) How can I be talking food this early in the morning? I've been up a while?

GB, most phone plans are unlimited long distance here in the states. Is that available in Canada too? Perhaps that's what your daughter means by 'free.' (Nothing's free of course :-)

I started excavating a rock on Thursday. It's a biggy, but not in the same league as the one Deanne recently rolled out. There just aren't many rocks here, but each year I manage to dig in to remove or add something and voila! One new step for my side garden path. This one is big and there is a twinge in my back, so I'm leaving it alone for a bit as I don't want to join that club of people my age and younger who suffer back problems.

Brenda, I've weeded out a thousand baby oaks this spring. Who knew, I could be sending them off to idyll homes. I don't think it was a masting year last fall, but the acorn crop was unusually heavy.

Since Monty can only handle shorter walks now, I've taken to feeding him while I walk the girls and then after a suitable wait I feed the girls and walk Monty by himself. He can do about a mile before flagging. Last night, I let him out for a quick pee while I prepped his dinner and Dannie went with him while Katie hung around the kitchen in case any food fell on the floor. When I opened the door to call Monty in, he wasn't right there so I walked out and saw I'd left the patio side gate open. I was lucky that he and Dannie were not out long and hadn't found something to chase or they would have been far beyond voice range. Very scary! Turns out that Monty had found the compost pile in the side yard and Dannie was touring the greenhouse. My little garden hounds! As both came running, another dog came too. Ack! Neighbor dog had been rolling in my compost pile and didn't want to come with me, but I leashed her up and took her home. She's lucky that Monty didn't have her for dinner. I'm lucky too :-)

My coffee cup is empty, and only two days of vacation left, so I should get cracking here!

Enjoy the week-end!

Cynthia

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Indigo buntings have been here for about a week. I look for them on May 11th each year, and that is the exact day the first one appeared! They are so beautiful with the goldfinches and cardinals and grosbeaks! The three cats are in fact studying the scene from the window as I type.

I think it is the first dollar bill that one frames, no? Anyway, congrats to Saucy and her DH!!!

It is time to shlep the plants back outdoors and then make the treck to the dump. I've used up $20 of gas in the mower in only 1 day...so off to buy more. There's so much to do outdoors, I feel as though I'm taking one step forward and 5 steps back.

'bug

• chelone
    16 years ago

I just listened to the most poignant story on Weekend Edition about mental illness and the effect it has on unaffected siblings. I immediately thought of Martie and her brother, I hope she was fortunate enough to hear it, too. It was by Carolyn Brown, I think.

Count me in as another who very much enjoys the tales from farm country. Brenda, I think the menfolk need to let you take over the organizational aspect of transportation!

Rocks and their excavation are part of the reality of gardening here "on the compound". I can't just dig a hole and plant something, it's not that simple; that's why I have beds that are sort of military in appearance and double dug. Removing the rocks requires the addition of more soil and amendments. Go easy on your back, Cynthia, the rock won't be going anywhere fast.

We have a bird feeder here, too. But it's out in the vegetable garden not next to the house. Out there, the birds have places to perch and they're able to keep a wary eye out for the cats. Without my glasses I'm not really able to distinguish the varieties, but we've had a Scarlet Tananger for the past few days; what a showy fellow he is, too! I've never seen an Indigo Bunting, either, but I recall them from the bird book when I was a kid. I will now remember then as 'bug's version of the San Juan Capistrano swallows. ;)

It was so raw here last night I wimped out totally and started a fire in the woodstove. It was a hit with the cats and Rex, too. All of them were sacked out around it. Had we homemade turkey soup here, I'd have slurped it down with gusto, Deanne!

I, too, was marvelling that flying harnesses were sanctioned for Annie's school, Mary. WOW! Last year I heard one of the funniest stories on NPR (This American Life, I think). It was about a production of Peter Pan that went very, very wrong. I was laughing so hard the tears were rolling down my cheeks. The visual conjured up was just too funny; Peter Pan ended up dangling from the harness, and Tinkerbell was apparently nothing more than a lightbulb on an extension cord... . It was priceless. It's sounds, though, as if Annie's play went more smoothly. :)

Dishes are done, breakfast is consumed, and I'm on load number two of laundry... feminine organizations skills!

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

Hi everyone: )

Eden I marvel at how appropriate your Idyll title is for my life right now-I smiled when I saw it!As usual I am a million steps behind what's going on here-I don't like that.

Sorry to hear your mom was having trouble Cindy-good that she was able to get the new pacemaker though.

Deanne I hope you are feeling better?

T-HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm gonna have to owe you a pic as my most recent pics were on the fallen hard drive(lost!)and I have yet to take new pics(boo hoo). I hope you had an enjoyable day and did what you like(I hope you left some Bailey's for the rest of us?); )

What fabulous pics here!!

Mary I have been thinking of you as I think you mentioned something about cuts at the school you work for-I hope that hasn't been terrible for you. We are having major cuts that upset me something fierce. AJ's class has dwindled down to only SIX kids!!!!! As a result they are not rehiring his present teacher and his small class will be combined with another grade-it just floors me. His teacher is just so hurt and saddened to the core(I know she's also fit to be tied). So far teh gym teacher has also been cut(I think the new one will be part time)and there may be more to go since not all contracts have been signed. It's that whole scenario of dissolving higher paying positions and bringing in the newer cheaper teachers-I'm really thinking this may be the beginning of the end for this school so I have to start thinking about moving sooner than I had earlier thought. I'm lucky we have the flexible option of buying my mom's house. [Yes problems *do* bring opportunities!]

This a very busy weekend...Aj is in a math tournament this morning,then tomorrow Chris has commencement-he gets to wear a very cool tam and gown(I will get pics). It's going to be such a proud day for him.Unfortunately we will be missing the art show and music recital that happens the same day. AJ would have played his song flute and Ryan was going to sing with his class. Dad's big day kind of wins out lol.

I cannot WAIT till summer so hopefully I can be here more-except a school year's worth of clutter is getting quite noticeable....I may be doing declutterization(a Babism? or is that a real word...)

Oh well,take care and have FUN!

~Babs

• wendy2
    16 years ago

{{gwi:157906}}

Happy Birthday T!

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all,

So its 48degrees out, spitting rain, heavy overcast. Grrrrr. It looks like it is going to be leftover turkey soup and bread for lunch today. Yes indeed Michelle sure is strange that you are having grilled asparagus and smoothies and Im looking for hot soup. I still cant get over that we had 90 degree temps a week ago.

I think Ill play with my plants in the garage today and work up a few more container combinations. Hopefully the temps will warm up next week. I really need to get a pic of the wisteria this weekend too. Wish you could all see how pretty it is right now.

Brenda, how fabulous to get a nice long post from you again. So interesting to see whats going on in your life. I LOL about the difficulties of your DD and DS living together. Seems like they want you to pick sides. I also LOL about your DH calling to have you pick him up so he doesnt have to wait but you do. ~~ I love the idea of buying an oak tree with your inheritance. Also love the quote. Ive always thought it was pretty funny that I have benches throughout our gardens and I NEVER sit on any of them.

Michelle, Ive never grown Browallia either so youll have to let me know how you do with it.

Cynthia, love the quote Problems bring opportunities. A good motto to live by. ~~ yes indeed it does feel like winter here today. ~~ Take it easy with the rock excavations. My back has been a bit twingy since we put that behemoth in the wall last weekend.

Chelone, Ah yes, you live in rock central also. Isnt it frustrating to never be able to just plant something without excavating piles of rocks? Sometimes it makes me crazy. ~~ Too true about how devastating mental illness is on a family. My father was a paranoid schizophrenic, half the relatives on my fathers side of the family are mentally ill. It has affected every generation. My grandmother, his mother, was mentally ill. There were four siblings in his family and two of the four were affected. All of the four sibs families are affected. I have two siblings who are mentally ill and one whos never been diagnosed but is questionable. It is a terrible thing to deal with and it can never be healed only treated. The medications can be devastating to the liver and kidneys and my brother now has to be on dialysis the rest of his life. There arent any good solutions.

Oh BABS!!!!! Congratulations to Chris!!!! How fantabulous and FABU-FABU!!!!! What a proud day for your family. Good for him I know the dedication and hard work that takes.

Ok my coffee cup is empty and its time for a refill and to get my day started. I have to pot up some cuttings! LOL

Enjoy the day everyone,
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Coleus Amore:
    {{gwi:157908}}

The mystery broken stem. I hope it recovers. I gave it rooting hormone powder and lots of water.
    {{gwi:157910}}

And yes, that's my muddy thumb.

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Good rainy morning! Can't complain about the rain, it was getting dry around here. I keep asking for rain on the days I have to work all day instead of the weekends, but nobody listens to me. It is only drizzling now, but everything is soaked, much too wet to dig. I have a bunch of new perennials out there waiting, but they will probably wait until next week at this point.

There is this wonderful local plant sale that is happening this weekend here (see link below), and I volunteered to work at the sale on Sunday. The perk for volunteers is preview shopping, so I got to shop last night (the sale started this AM). I was not the only one out there in mud shoes and a rain slicker shopping - I love gardeners! I got some ferns (maidenhair and Japanese painted), hellebore ('Mettalic Blue Lady'), asarum europeum, astilbe chinensis v. pumila, pulmonaria 'Little Star' and lamium 'Purple Dragon'. These are for my new shady wall bed, along with some hosta and other stuff I'll move from other places here. I have an aruncus dioicus that I think will hide the ugley meter. Other than that I don't really have a design in mind, I'm just going to lay out all the plants and move them around until they look good. Do any of you draw out designs on paper, or do you "wing it?"

I am hopelessly behind here, but I did see some beautiful photos in my quick skimming - loving all of them! Deanne, your combo pics were inspiring, and I love it that you have a combo with plants from fellow idylls. Cindy, that stone circle is pretty - you have done a lot with your small space. 'bug, spring sure is pretty in your neck of the woods.

Cindy, glad to hear your Mom is okay.

'bug, how exciting that your DD is due is a little over a month! How soon will you be headed out there to visit again?

Babs, that is sad about the school. Education is priceless, it is awful that financial concerns have to have such an effect. Congrats to Chris, you all must be very proud of him.

Deanne, hope you are feeling better soon. I've been fighting a cold all week, and the cold started to win mid-week. I'm feeling better now, but not much energy still.

Chelone, I did see that you are looking for browallia, I know a source nearby, they have them in six-packs. I'll be going back there when the weather gets reasonable again to pick up some annuals. They have 'Jingle Bells' (light blue), 'Marine Bells' (deep blue) and 'Silver Bells' (white). I had the deep blue ones last year and they are awesome - they kept going until frost cut them down. Let me know how many and which ones, and I'll pick some up for you. I'd like some of your toad lilies too.

Well, the rain has picked up again - I guess I'll catch up on some housework - the upstairs hallway is still crammed with boxes of summer things I pulled out when it was hot 2 weeks ago, but then it was a perfect gardening weekend so I never finished the job. Last night I wished I hadn't put the fleece blankets and turtlenecks away. Le sigh.

Waving hi to all, and wishing you a great weekend!

-Wendy

• drema_dianne
    16 years ago

HI Everyone

I am here at the Real Estate office doing floor time, so this gives me a great opportunity to sit down and read and write to the idylls. It has been cold and windy here. I think I may have jumped the gun on bringing out plants. Skip made himself a little succulent garden with plants we brought in for the winter. I was afraid they wouldn't make it, but he said it is cold in the desert, they can take it. They are hanging in there, but I think this wind is just too much. Hopefully they will bounce back, because it really is a cute litte spot. About a month ago, I injured my back attacking the Bermuda grass and tearing up the lawn. I should have done lasagne gardening, but I was trying to find a spot to plant my seeds and didn't have any sunny area. Yesterday was the first time I could actually bend over and tie my shoes without major pain. Putting on underwear was even trickier. Anyway, on Mother's Day Skip went out in my weedy mess and spent 2 hours pulling. Then he mulched it. And his back doesn't even have a twinge of pain. Oh for upper body strength of a guy. This is the best that area has ever looked. Now that is a gift I can appreciate. I think I kept reinjuring my back, because I kept bending over doing things in the garden without even noticing I was doing it. I was heading out the door to my mom's with a shovel in my hand and Skip said, don't you dare dig a hole. I hadn't even thought about it causing more damage. Anyway, I delivered her rose to her and my sister or a neighbor kid will dig the hole. So, that is what is up here. My garden is actually starting to look like something.It is so spread out, etc and I have too many different areas I wanted that none of them looked good. The advice about completing one area at a time is a really good method. I tend to head off in a bunch of different directions with no good result. Let's see what else is happening... my dog lost one of my garden shoes, and I have been looking for it for a month. Finally decided to buy some more, then realized that if I have to drive 30 minutes to the Mall, park, etc, it would be cheaper in the long run to have them delivered to the house. That way, I could be outside having fun and someone else can do the running. They came the next day. I also ordered a coat online from either Land's End or something like that. Anyway, it was really nice to come home from work, and have the package be there. I am thinking with the price of gas, it might just be cheaper too. I know it gives me more free time to do what I want at home. I don't like going to malls, etc. Now plant stores, that is another story.

Cindy, your garden looks so inviting. You did a great job with the brickwork. It sure looks like your plants are way ahead of mine as far as blooming.

Babs, are you going to the big Botanical Garden program next week? They have a huge outdoor program with garden designs that incorporate music. They bill it as the one of the biggest outdoor events in the nation. I am going on the first day, which is Thursday during my lunch hour, then meeting a friend after work for a more leisurely stroll through. Stan Hywet Hall has a special feature right now too, they have 11 treehouses on display. And they are raffling off one. I bet your kids would get a kick out of it. I just saw an article in the Plain Dealer today, so I don't know how long it is going to be there, but I am going to try to get out there.

Deanne, your plants that you nurtured through the winter look lovely! What an accomplishment, and an inspiration for me to do better next year. I did get some to make it through, but they are sort of twiggy, if you know what I mean:) Where did you order your coleus from? I drove to Columbus a couple of weeks ago to the place I got Choco Loco from, but they didn't have any. I loved that coleus. I did get a new Bi Polar Bi Golly, since I killed my other one. Can't find any around here, so thought I might go online if I knew a reliable source.

Bug, your pictures look so nice. More inspiration....I bet you are getting excited to meet the baby. Hope all goes very easily for your daughter. Can't wait to see the little one.

Eden, if I didn't say it before, congrats on your daughter's engagement. I kept meaning to say something, but dont' know if I did or not. I like Tim's memorial. I would like to come up and see your garden again. I bet it really looks nice. More than that, I would like to have you guys come down here and give me advice about what I need to do:)I sort of feel like I am at a critical moment.

Monique: I definitely need you and Les to tell me what trees to buy. If you guys take a trip to Girards this summer, let me know. I am thinking of getting a Paperbark Maple from them. I still want that Abies Koreana Nanaimo we saw last summer, but they don't have one. They do have Siberlocke. How's Emma?

Sue, glad to hear you are getting up to speed again. I bet you are anxious to get out there. Good for you for listening to the doctor. Better to take time now than to pay for it later.

Susy, I hope your husband finds something that will help him with the pain he is experiencing.

Saucy- congrats on your first check!!! Good for you guys. Hope your business grows and grows.

Hi to those I missed. I think about everyone, but don't want to make this a novel......

Well, I guess that is enough from me for now, I hope you all have a great weekend!

D.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Rock excavated and moved. Perfect flat stepping stone!

Arbor installed on slope. Tricky, but my engineering skills (not!) saved me. It looks level.

Major pruning survived. (The trees and me. Bloody lip from backfire on the long reach pruner took my mind off of my sore finger for now.)

Nice to see long posts from Babs & Drema & Wendy! Drema, so sorry about your back, it was a good lesson for me. Bab's congrats to Chris and you. It was a long haul but you made it!

Shower time (therapeutic) and then I'll get dirty again. I'm so happy the newest arbor is in, (I bought it at HG a month or so ago and it matches 2 others). The Cecile Brunner roses were long enough to flop over the top of it even though it's much too narrow for the spot it's in. (My vet budget is unlimited, my arbor budget is $99 :-) And the roses are facing down at the moment but they'll figure it out, right?

Feeling dirty and sleepy and it's only 2:22.

Cynthia

• saucydog
    16 years ago

It's a soup kind of day, I guess. I got up and made a pot of Chicken Gumbo. I love it when okra hits the produce aisle.

Brenda, I too love reading about your days...you have a way with words.

Babs, Congrats to the husband and the woman who backed him all the way! What an inspiration for your boys. Sorry to hear about school....it's a sad state in every school system, I'm afraid.

Chelone, we turned on the radiators....made me cringe a bit, but I couldn't fit another layer on! If it had been 50 in January I would've thought we were having a heat wave, but after being warm, this is just cruel.

I went to HG yesterday and had to run out of there. All I needed were new sheets - good quality, good price sheets. They make you hike through all the garden aisles to get to the sheets :)

Everyone's congregating in the kitchen asking what's for lunch and it's 5pm.....LOL...I've got a lot of catching up to do in the kitchen. Don't worry, they eat fine :)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Well how come I did so much and have so much left to do??? No rock moving here today, but I did go to the dump and buy gas. Then I weeded an island bed near the bridge, mowed the front lawn, watered the new trees along a part of the creek (still the other half to be done tomorrow) and weeded one side of the bridge and pruned a rose there. Charlotte cries when she is lonesome, and so I have to visit her frequently. So much work yet to do.

It is turning cloudy now, but they say I don't need to protect plants tonight. Yeah!

Here's my maple to show Cynthia.

{{gwi:157912}}

And I am very much enjoying these tulips this year. Can anyone identify them for me?
    {{gwi:157915}}

Just finished mango chicken for dinner and next, tonight's activity is a nice long bath! :)
    'bug

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Evening all

Hi Drema! I get my coleus on line from Rosy Dawn Gardens. They have lovely plants and great shipping. I've not gotten any bad plants from them.

Cynthia, sorry but I lol about the bloody lip from the pruner. That is just the kind of thing I do all the time. I'm deadly with pruners and have drawn blood more times than I can count. Sounds like you've really gotten a lot accomplished in the gardens this week.

Bug that coleus looks like 'Pineapple Wizard'. Love that maple and those tulips are divine.

Saucy, we had leftover turkey soup today. You're so right another soup kind of day.

Well I worked in the garage today and got a few contaners potted up. Woohoo!!! Here are a few pics

{{gwi:157916}}

{{gwi:157917}}

{{gwi:157918}}

So Mary do you recognize this purple pot???
    {{gwi:157919}}

Have a great evening all
    Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

Another gloomy morning here; puntuated by Old Sol's feeble effort to break through the cloud cover. Forecasters have steadfastly maintained those efforts will be unsuccessful. Oh well.

Babs., congratulations are in order for your DH. I attended my BIL's graduation when he received his Ph.D. in mathematics; he was genuinely touched. I think he's coming up on one in Computer Science within a year/two... . It's the culmination of a lot of dedicated study, thought, and hard work. What an exciting day for your family! I hear you on the clutter... I confess to stillhaving Christmas stuff piled in the back room waiting to be schlepped to the attic area... it goes up when the window screens come down. But the weather has been generally too cold to open the windows! Celebrate well today, OK?

Drema, I've never had major problems with my back and I thank my lucky stars for that. A few years ago I had a nagging ache in my lower back and saw a chiropractor for the first time ever. An adjustment fixed the problem quickly and easily. But with every passing year I'm more cautious about what I will take on and how much I will do in one day! I hope you're feeling better and won't throw caution to the wind any time soon. I know what you mean about the "birdshot" approach to gardening... projects everywhere and none of them looking quite the way you want them to. It happens to me all the time. :) What saves my bacon (sort of) is that my plants have attained enough size and have been divided enough to provide some "massing", and that helps a lot, even if the show is more limited. Your Skip is a real honey to plunge in and help you out; what a lovely gesture.

I got a chuckle out of the bloody lip, too. Count me in as one more who incurs "self-inflicted" wounds in the course of gardening. And, know what? they always occur when I've done something I KNEW was risky before I undertook it! Not only does it hurt, but it serves as a nagging reminder of my own stupidity. But do I learn? the jury is still out on that one, I'm afraid.

Level... it's amazing to me how readily our eyes are able to discern level and plumb. Maybe it has more to do with what I do for a living, but I can spot discrepancies easily. The helpmeet marvels at how accurate my eye is when it comes to measurements in and under the 36" range. We were aplitting firewood the other day and I rejected several pieces as too long for the stove. Exasperated, he asked me how long the pieces were... I said 19" and he snorted. I was DEAD on, and confess to gloating. ;)

Do you use the stepping stones in the beds you have, Cynthia, or are you working on a pathway?

Deanne (and other container junkies) do you reuse the potting soil year to year? do you augment it with additions of compost, etc.? I tend to augment the potting mix, personally and I feed my annuals with every watering. I have not used those water retaining pellets very much. I think I added them to the north windowboxes, but have never bothered to replenish them and never thought they were a lifesaver. But, the windowboxes do face north.

'bug, I eyed some Primula the other day. I didn't pull the trigger on them, though. I was thinking of planting them in the bed alongside the pond, but there is much work to do to that area before more planting can occur. I've not done a search on their preferred culture, so anything you might offer would be of help in how I approach that bed.

I can't believe Memorial Day is next weekend. I don't even have the awnings up yet! the windowboxes are still bare, and the chilly, raw weather hasn't added any urgency to any of those tasks. Next week at work is going to be just brutal. Memorial Day and the Fourth of July are the biggies... the phone will ring incessantly, people will be crabby when told, "NO" and it will involve late days. Mustn't forget to take my "patient pills" and look for the humorous aspect of the chaos.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

A gray morning here, but dry. I'm hoping for sun later on. There's tons of outdoor work to do, in spite of the black flies. Yesterday was my first day with bug spray, much as I hate the stuff. That's why I needed the long bath soak last night. I made it an event with a verbena/lemon scented candle...

Primulas: Mine are candelabra primulas and they reseed everywhere. I like that, but others do not. They reseed many meters away from the originals too, all through the "lawn" as well. I enjoy them along the creek where they grow with sensitive ferns...each duking it out with the other in the "spread department".

{{gwi:157921}}

This is our long weekend in Canada, Monday being Victoria Day... Which reminds me that I'm bound to hear fireworks tonight. Any excuse for fun at the nearby campground.

I'm with you Chelone on the measuring. It is an acquired skill. I used to know 5/8ths of an inch from sewing. We also used to play with Cuisenaire rods with the kids...which taught us our metric measurements. I know 10cm is an orange rod, 1 cm is white. More recently this skill transferred to decibels. We needed to measure sound when sending formal complaints about the nearby gravel pit. I got really good at it and didn't need the meter...except for legal purposes. We could tell you the levels of sound anywhere we traveled, on a highway, downtown Toronto..anywhere, any thing. The sound of your washing machine, dishwasher, furnace, dryer, etc. Now I have lost the art, but could pick it up quickly if necessary.

I just checked my photos from last May 20th. We are indeed behind this year. There were clematis, allium and the flowering crabapple open by the 15th! My containers were already planted. Perhaps I should work on them today? No, it wouldn't be safe to put out the coleus yet! Maybe next weekend? We'll see. And who will water them when I leave for Alberta? Hmmm.

DD's website says this:

I am over 5 lbs and 18 inches long. My kidneys are fully developed and my liver is finishing up. I am 34 weeks old, only 42 days to go!

Ta-ta!
    'bug

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

It's cool, low 50s, and a misty rainy morning here. Saucy, it's been a cold spring everywhere. I had to turn the heat on in late April, which is unheard of here.

Bug, I know so well what that Acer looks like :-) Seriously, isn't zone 5 Canada colder than zone 5 US? In your best interests, I did a search on Full Moon and found it's good to zone 5 US. I'm here to help lol.

I had to hit Sam's Club and Trader Joe's last night and when I came back into the house, noticed only one rose glove was on the kitchen counter. I'd been pulling blackberries out of the neighbor's tree stump on the property line, and those long leather gloves are the only way to do that sort of thing. My other neighbors had brought the gloves to me from their visit to England a few years ago, and I love those gloves. Make me feel like superwoman :-) And the reason I cleared the stump was the Complicata Rose I planted there to cover it a few years ago. Huge single pink blossoms and one that can cover a LOT of ground. Fairly thornless too, so I didn't have to worry about people getting hurt. Link below, if you haven't heard of this one. It's a good choice for a 'wild' spot.

I turned the floodlights on and grabbed a flashlight, but couldn't find the missing glove. Went upstairs to settle Monty in and Dannie gave him a little growl from her pillow. I figured it was the rain (she's thunderphobic.) Well, a few minutes later I heard the growl again and looked over to find SHE had my other glove and was guarding it on her pillow. Since she never ever does anything 'wrong', and I've rarely heard a growl out of her before, it made me laugh. Katie I would expect this from, but Dannie never! I said 'mine' and she relinquished the soppy glove which is none the worse for being cherished :-)

The earth should be damp this morning and good for weeding, but I'm going to stay cocooned for a bit. I too tend to drift in the garden. A little bit here, a little work there. I figure that's ok, since it's a hobby, and it's relaxing not to be too focused, but it's true nothing ever seems complete. It took me a full week to get to that blackberry mess.

Deanne, the containers are as beautiful as ever, but I confess I'm drooling over your weed free grass. Some year I'll concentrate on the lawn here. Actually this morning might be a good day to put down some lime. I don't use any weed killers and anyone who has seen my lawn could guess that :-)

Sun is starting to come out here. Have a great day everyone!

Cynthia

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Cynthia, I bought the smaller tree because I could afford the risk. The larger one was in the 3 figures. I will have it in the only protected spot around and will be winter protecting it diligently. Obviously, I'm a nut case.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Lots of people grow Acers in pots GB. Since they grow slowly, that might be a solution too. Take it to cool shelter in winter. A sunroom or enclosed porch would work.

I found two bags of Frank's Weed and Feed in cellar and spread it on the front lawn. (Thank you for the inspiration Deanne.) You all can figure out how long I've had it since Frank's has been out of business a few years :-) Need to feed the roses too. Then off to an open house for my adoption group.

• chelone
    16 years ago

We actually caved in to hiring a company to treat our wildly overgrown lawn several years ago. I was ready to scream; dandilions and plantain smacking their lips at the fertile territory awaiting their onslaught... . Best thing we ever did!!! under control in one month, devastated by the end of September. On the recommendation of the "dandilion slayer", "call me when they begin to gain a foothold". I think this is the year... it's been fully 5 since he was here last. Healthy lawns are so vigorous that broadleaf weeds have trouble establishing themselves! Good luck, Cynthia, but do consider calling in the pros when things get too out of control!

I love the story of Mummy's rose glove, BTW. Good Dannie!

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good news! Brad picked me up a little Canon PowerShot this afternoon. So I'm back in the picture posting business. I'm a couple of days behind on Idylls again. Yesterday I had Bella and still managed to get quite a few things out of pots and into the garden. Still more to go though. I'm watching Bella again this evening while Meg's working. It's cold out today but should warm up this week. Hard to believe that next weekend's Memorial Day already.

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Back now from running various errands. Very interesting how each store has a nursery attached. The plants are often in terrible shape, totally windblown and unwatered, but occasionally you get there shortly after they've arrived and luck out. So I went to Canadian Tire for grass clippers for edging, which I actually found and bought, but happened to pick up some nice white astilbes too. Then passed a nursery which has good annuals, so picked up some dusty miller, variegated periwinkle and things for containers. Also found some eggplants for the vegetable garden. Then on to grocery shopping (ahem...) where I found more nice container stuff including annual grasses. The best place was the spot where I got terrific salvia black & blue. I think I'll make a pot of just that! Oh, did I mention I also got coleus? Sunrise and Wizard sunset. I hate coleus, in case you forgot.

It's darned cold and gray here (50F) so I'm not much in the outdoor gardening mood. I guess laundry calls....Hope your weekend is what you hoped for!

'bug

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marie, we're hopeless. I went to Home Depot to purchase a new sprinkler and came home with miscanthus adagio and pennisetum hamelin too.

Eden

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Oooo I'm so jealous of you all. I've not found a single pot of annual grass or perennial grass anywhere this year yet and this is the first year I didn't save my pennisetum rubrum. Grrrr.... I'm waiting on putting a few arrangements together until I can find the grass. Jeesh...

Must confess, I bought several new fuchsias today.... Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!! I could not resist, my fav place for annuals just got in some gorgeous Shadowdancer 'Betty' and 'Ginger'. I've been looking for 'Ginger' for two years. What else could I do except bring a few of them home????

Ok, back at it, dodging the raindrops today. It has been alternating between partly cloudy and tropical deluges.

Later
    Deanne

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deanne, I love those containers you put together. I can't believe how full and lush yours always look right from the start. Do you just prune often to keep the different components from overtaking each other? The problem I always have when I pack them in is something gets crowded out but I love how your's look so nice from the get-go. I found a Ginger last week, I also have Marcia.

Eden

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hello Idylls

Wow, fantastic reading, pictures and news from everyone. I'll be dipping back in for more details.

Yesterday was the last performance of Peter Pan. No photographs allowed which is a shame as the kids flying 15 feet above the stage with a starry backdrop was spectacular. I enjoyed every performance. Last night was the cast party and Annie was almost in tears afterwards she was so sad it had all come to an end. She told me that in the play every person became a friend, but afterwards it's back to the cliques and circles that make up every middle school. At the party they had the "Paper Plate Awards" where everyone recieved a light hearted award. Annie's was for the "Best Female Pirate" and I think she'll treasure it along with her publicity photo that was put up at the mall.

Despite my cold dragging on (I'm now wondering if it is a sinus infection) the week seemed to get busier and busier. On Friday after my regular job (which is safe Babs, thanks for your concern) I put in a few hours gardening for my first garden client. I'm doing some new gardens for one of the directors at my old job. She is a real hoot, kept plying me with grapefruit juice and gin when I went to measure up the site, and told me she has been boasting to everyone that she has her own English gardener LOL! Although clearing the beds was hard work, getting to choose plants on someone elses budget is really fun. She would like to spend a little more on interesting plants so I'm totally excited about the whole project, plus I have free reign with design - just soemthing that will make her smile, so no boring yews.

I got home just in time to clean off for the show. Afterwards I took a few of the girls to Friendlys where the cast was meeting. The staff were anything but friendly, told us it would be an hour for a table, and took over 15 minutes to serve one customer from the ice cream window. Instead I offered to pick up icecream at the grocery store and had 3 car loads of kids stop by for ice cream at the house. Some of the older students from the pit orchestra came and it was fun to see them all chatting together. As we had had company only 2 days earlier it was one of the rare occasions when the house was reasonably picked up, though still in need of a vacuum. I tried again to sort out ours with no luck - it was like cleaning with the leaf blower. If I was a better housewife I'd have put getting it mended at the top of my list for the weekend, but my priorities are similar to Eden's:0)

This morning I stayed in bed till 10.30 AM. DH brough me coffe to drink and it felt great to rest up. I've been pottering all day, getting little accomplished but enjoying myself all the same. The weather is in the 40's and rainy so I don't have the urge to be outside. I think I'll make soup for dinner.

hope you all had a great weekend

Mary

PS Deanne - LOVE the purple pot! They are all spectacular.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The tree peonies...

{{gwi:157922}}

{{gwi:157923}}

The new camera is very simple to use but as you can see my picture taking skills haven't improved, lol.

Eden

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

Hola Idylls from sunny Cancun Mexico. I didn´t have time to get back to you before we left on our trip to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversery on the 28th of this month. Dh couldn´t take that week off, so we booked this trip last minute for this week.

Before we left, we worked litteraly dawn to dusk spreading 11 yds of compost, 8 yds of mulch and all the contractors finally showed up this past week to get the sprinklers up and running, the downspouts extended and re-routed, etc. Also, I got the entire pot ghetto planted just in the knick of time.

Also my niece needed emergency sitting services. So my cyber time was gone before I knew it.

I just wanted to let you know that I´´ve been thinking about all of you, I didn´t fall of the face of the earth, just been too busy. I´ll be back on line trying to catch up when we return on the 27th.

This is our first time in Cancun. Our hotel is perfect and gorgeous -- check out the Gran Melia Cancun online. The photos don´t do it justice.

Before I get kicked off the ´puter again, I´m waving Hi to all. I´ll read and catch up wwhen I get back.

Honey

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

it says I still have more time. Eden, I love your tree peonies, Mine were blooming when we left. Deanne, I, too, love your containers. They´re always spectacular.
    Cynthia, call in the pros. As Chelone says, it´s definitely worth it. We use Scotts. They put down the granular and it´s so very much better than the nitrogen the others spray. The difference is truly amazing.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Quote of the day: "If I was a better housewife I'd have put getting it mended at the top of my list for the weekend". LOL, Mary, you are busy enough .....give yourself a break. And sick to boot!

I could knit a dog hair sweater on any day of the week :)

Deanne, you've out done yourself once more.

I want an Acer "full moon" now - thanks GB.

Eden, your tree peonies are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I have to rush off and get back in the kitchen for a quick soup dinner with kalamata olive bread! Left over from Sunday dinner with the in laws.

Things are going to be busy around here. We've had a set back that I'm not comfortable sharing online, but everyone's okay and we'll overcome. I wouldn't feel right by not telling you and pretending everything is okay in my world. Truth is I have some deep thinking and hard work ahead.

So I may be sporadic, but I'm going to try to hang in because you all make me feel special to be part of such a wonderful group.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Hugs to you Saucy. Big ones. I think we all have setbacks at times and aren't very open about them...but we do understand even if we don't know the specifics. Hang in there friend! You are needed here. I loved your birthday stories.

How wonderful that Honey and Tom managed their get away!!!! It's always so much work planning a trip...but worth it once you get there. ENJOY!

Eden, that picket fence of peonies is glorious! So happy you have a camera!

I'm trying to pick up my knitting and finish it off. Maybe.
    'bug

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Hip hip horray!!!!!!! Eden has a camera again! I've really missed your photos. Your tree peonies are GORGEOUS! Love them, especially that dark pink peeking over the white pickets. That's a painting waiting to happen. Soooo.... .happy you like the containers. Nobody but all of you here 'get it' and the neighbors and friends here think I'm all a bit cracked but it is such a very fun creative process and nurturing challenge to make a pretty container.

Eden, I actually really groom and prune things a lot in the containers and also if something is getting swamped I move it or just let it 'fade away' if the design stays balanced.

Mary, sorry you are still dealing with a cold. I've got a bit of a cough left but I'll be able to get back to the gym in the morning. Sounds like you had a great weekend with the children. I so know the feeling you get when a big production is finished. Doug and I used to belong to our local community theater and we'd do large musicals like 'The Unsinkable Molly Brown' and 'Oklahoma' etc. Anyway, you'd always really bond with all the cast and crew and knew it would never be the same again after the play was over. Each show was unique and it was always sad to say goodby to everyone when it was done.

Chelone, yes, I do recycle the soil in the larger containers most of the time. The only ones that are a problem are when I grew grasses as the roots are so dense they don't compost over the winter and you can't plant into it the following year so I have to start over with those.

Honey!!! Ola! Happy Anniversary to you and your lovely DH! Hope you're having a fabu trip! ~~ Thanks so happy you like the containers.

OK Doug has got some steaks on the grill and we are enjoying a cocktail before dinner, (Tanguery 10 Gin and Noilly Pratt vermouth, martini, dry, rocks with jalapeno olives, fabu-fabu)

Deanne

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Lol, hey saucy, what color will YOUR dog hair sweater be? If you need any black, let me know, I've got PILES of it lurking in the corners. You should see when we open the windows...it drifts out from under the furniture like tumbleweeds :) Hope things improve for you ((Saucy))

Honey-Cancun?? Yay for you and Tom! Hope you have a BLAST!!

Geez, Eden, now I'm gonna have to get some tree peonies. I've got a blue million herbacious ones..why not!?

Deanne, as usual, your containers are maaavelous! Is that a strobelanthus (butchered spelling, I'm sure) in the last pot?

Mary, glad you got coffee delivered to ya in bed this morning-great way to start out the day.

Today is DH's birthday. We tried for the coffee in bed thing, but DD texted at 7:30 to extend birthday wishes, then Jim's cousin did a Sunday morning pop-in that lasted until 1:30 in the afternoon. I didn't get any weeding done, but I assume they'll still be there tomorrow. I probably should get off the computer and show some enthusiasm for cooking supper. It's gonna be bacon, eggs, and carrot cake. Man, that looks really bad when you type it out like that. Maybe add a salad, lol!? Plus, we got the Sopranos tonight, and since we're paying for HBO JUST to see it, they'd better have something REALLY GOOD planned for the end of the series! So far, last season and this, I've been a bit disappointed!
    Have a good evening, all!
    Brenda
    PS...'bug--It's gonna be SO exciting when we get to see some baby pics from you-I bet you're just hopping up and down in anticipation :)

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Yet another day in the 80s. We have actually had an unusually warm spring. We are getting pretty dry, but they talk chances for rain this week.

Eden, Im so glad you have a new camera love your garden photos. They tree peonies are so pretty. I was happy that mine made the winter. Although, miscanthus Adagio doesnt seem to have.

Cynthia, I wouldnt mind dandelions so much if they only stayed in the grass, but I hate how they seed in the middle of plants. Ive been spraying for broadleaf in the fall and its really showing this year. We have a sprayer that we pull behind the 4 wheeler and then I hand spray close to the beds. I really dont trust anyone else to do it. LOL

Honey, have fun!

Deanne, it sounds like you plan your containers. I just buy things I like and then set them all out and try to decide what looks good together. I have to say those pots you posted look like mine do ½ way through the summer.

Drema, take care of the back. My back gives me fits if I over do it, but I have learned to manage it pretty well. Exercise, walking and using a cart or wheelbarrow has helped a lot.

Babs, how exciting for your family. Congrats to Chris.

Chelone, I take my wheelbarrow and make a mix for my pots, fresh potting soil, compost, slow release fertilizer and moisture crystals. I will throw some old potting soil in also, but most often I throw that in the compost. So that isnt really throwing it away. In big containers I do leave the old stuff in the bottom where the roots dont go. Our bird feeder has a tree nearby that has a branch that hangs near it for cover. It works quite well and the gkids think its wonderful to watch the birds from the window.

RE: self-inflicted gardening wounds, hopefully everyone is current on their tetanus shots.

Last night we trimmed the double tops out of the blue spruces. Rick drives the skid loader and lifts me up in the bucket. They are really getting tall and we can barely get to the top. There are 22 of them. 2 had peeping baby birds and 2 had nests with eggs. I dont know much about bird eggs, but one nest had 2 of the palest pink and the other had white and black swirled eggs.

Rick finished his planting yesterday afternoon and volunteered to help me with a few projects. We planted a wildflower garden in the ditch. Im not sure if it will be a good thing or not. We always mow the road ditch in front of the house but have to quit where the ditch gets too steep. Rick had brought in dirt to make more of the ditch mowable, but then my Dad gave me some wildflower mix. The landscaping firm he worked part time for last summer gave him them. If it doesnt work out, grass is always an option. We named the area "Marvin Gardens" as in Monopoly and my dads name is Marvin.

Thats all folks!

Michelle

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good sunny morning everyone,

It is currently 52 degrees out and on its way to mid 60s. Woohoo, perfect gardening weather. Im hoping to get a bunch more of the pots planted up today and perhaps to take a ride over to Lake Street Gardens in Salem, NH to see if they have any of the Bella Hybrid Abutilons and Im also looking for a variegated, yellow lantana for my Lemon Meringue pot I want to put together. Im also hoping to get the hayracks on the fence planted up. Does anyone else ever plan your garden day and think you can cram two days worth of work into eight hours?

Michelle, I dont really plan all the containers but do exactly as you and get stuff then decide what looks good together. I do plan for a few where I want to improve on an especially good design from previous years or want to repeat something I particularly liked. The orange Bella Hybrid abutilon container I had last year with the Plectranthus Vanilla Twist and Coprosma kirkii I particularly liked and this year I want to add that marvelous Abutilon Souvenir de Bonne that I saw at Sues. the variegation will be perfect in that arrangement and the height will add some drama. ~~~ BTW Im so happy that Ive managed to save both of the pelargoniums you sent me from last year!!!! They are starting to get some nice growth on them now they are outside and one is setting buds. My lovely stained glass piece you sent me lost one of the elements and I need to find a person who does that to fix it. It was a piece off the hummingbird. I really treasure that piece because you made it for me! ~~Marvin gardens! Love it!

Brenda, Happy Birthday to your DH!!!! Mine is going to be celebrating his big 60 in July. We can hardly believe it as we dont feel a day over 30. LOL ~~ Yes that is a Strobilanthes in the purple pot. I actually bought that pot when I was out visiting Mary in Rochester last year. The pots were on sale and when I saw that purple one my brain immediately decided I HAD to have it and I HAD to plant a Strobilanthes in it. LOL Im hoping that it really gains some nice size when this weather warms up.

Sorry for the problems Saucy. Thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way.

Honey, Im amazed and am bowing to a superior force. You got all that mulch and compost spread AND planted your entire pot ghetto????!!!! You are amazing! Ive got what seems like a billion pots unplanted here. ~~ BTW did you catch my post about the overwintered dahlia tubers??? Youd be interested that all my tubers made it and I didnt fuss with them one little bit.

Ok hoping for more spring pics from people today. Im off to the gym and then to build another layer of dirt under my fingernails. Have a great day everyone
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Yes Deanne, today I plan on doing at least 3 days worth of work. With DH away, I think big! I'll report back later.
    The woodpecker is making his racket outside the window.
    In the meantime, the treadmill is calling my name!
    Then spray myself against the black flies...then,
    Up Up and Away!
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

Today looks glorious - too bad I'll be inside at work all day. My thoughts might be creeping to the garden during my down time. Tonight we're hitting the low 30's (groan) - guess I'll be doing a lot of dragging in to the garage.

Saucy - hang in there. With time you might be able to turn your upheaval into a learning experience or catalyst for positive change.

Babs - congratulations for Chris. What an inspiring event for the boys to attend.

Honey - I too am amazed at what you accomplished. Enjoy that well deserved R&R in Cancuun. I was there 25 years ago and remember so clearly the crystal blue waters.

Eden - those tree peonies are to die for. Wonderful that you have a new camera - I'll be looking forward to more spring shots.

Need to dash though I'd rather Idyll and then spend the day in the garden.

Waving to all I missed

Mary

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Hi, all!
    Hey, I found my face :) Not the greatest picture, but you get the general idea. I was trying to get the family to sit still for a picture at Thanksgiving.
    I'm "on call" today, so I guess I'll take my phone and go attack the wild oats and see what happens. Have a good one, everybody!
    Brenda
    {{gwi:157924}}

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Terrific!!! Yeah Brenda is in our rogue's gallery now!

I'm just in from major digging in the raspberry patch and edging the front berberis hedge. Three pails of raspberries are heading to town to the local Mennonite garden supply place. A fourth bucket full I'm giving to 3 other friends.

I also dug up some Japanese anemones. Who knows what else I'll pot up this afternoon. I actually hope to plant a few things too.

Toodle-oo!
    'bug