Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitamo

Idyll #377 Spring hopes eternal.

anitamo
15 years ago

I haven't posted much, or in a while, so I hope it fine to start a new Idyll. Spring brings forth so much to look forward to. Everyday in the garden brings another discovery, adding excitement to even the most dreary day.

Comments (102)

• chelone
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have passed the point of no return, a good thing when one is cleaning. I've pulled all the furniture away from the walls and I've removed the baseboard covers. I've blown all the dust off the hot water pipe and the inside of the fins. I've gone over it with the vacuum brush and vacuumed the the mopboards, the chair rail, the hearth and stove. I'm leaving the windsills until I wash the windows (when, eh... ? ).

Gotta get back at it lest I lose the "thrill of the chase". If you're lurking, take a nap for me, willya Marian? ;)

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

I have solved the mystery of why a pot of Wyoming cannas (dark leaves) has turned green, and also what happened to the pot of ginger rhizomes that I started last year. Seriously, this took weeks of subconscious noodling. Good thing I figured it out before I dumped those green cannas.

Saucy, both you and your grandmother could be movie stars. You look just like her, though I suspect granpa's height may have passed to you?

Cindy, gorgeous weather here today and I think the sun was out here yesterday afternoon. You seem to get an earlier spring than I do, and I've long noted that closer to the ocean means later spring and later fall. I sometimes don't get hard frost until Christmas.

Front lawn mowed this morning and should be doing back now so that I can play in the gardens. I bought a ton of variegated liriope for the sloop at rear of property behind the gardens. Can't grow grass back there, too dark, but liriope is bullet proof and the yellowness will light it up and keep the weeds down. Going to break 18 four inch pots of it into individual strands and should get about 60 plants out of it.

Jerri, teach him 'bark' and 'no bark.' Do this at home when he barks at some stumulus. The trick is to 'capture' the action and name it. Then teach 'no bark' starting with 'uh uh' and reward silence. 'Good Quiet'. Greyhounds are typically quiet but Katie is a mouthly dog and I taught her to say 'please', 'thank you', 'I love you', and for quiet: 'shhh the baby's sleeping.' :) Because it's really the last syllable or your tone that dogs learn, I know the word 'sleeping' is what cues her. The power of cookies should NEVER be underestimated.

Enjoy the empty house Sue, can't wait to see what you do with it. Kind of fun to start from scratch on the decorating.

OK, back out to this perfect day!

Cynthia

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Yesterday I went to the city because the weather was supposed to rainy. Once I got there it cleared up and was a lovely day. Although, we had around 2" of rain on Friday so Im sure it was rather muddy in the garden. I was able to go to several nurseries and find some new stuff. I had lunch with my son. He started his new job this week and is pretty excited about it. The building is historic firehouse and is very neat. He will be working on cars such as Lamborghinis and performance cars, which is right up his alley. This is a new business and he was recruited for this job and will be the lead tech.

At one nursery they had fern leaf peonies for $62 for a tiny piece, I figure I must have at least $1000 worth.

Problems have arisen in the progress of the Secret Garden. It appears to be a very wet area. Rick thinks there could be an underground spring and we should tile it.

Eden, you have the most interesting plants.

Ei, the movie set sounds like fun. What a great experience to have. So far my big debut was on Captain 11. Yesterday I was a Lowes checking out the garden center. They had a big sign that said "Caution Ducks Nesting" sure enough there was a nest with 3 eggs nestled in the wood shavings that they had around the shrub area.

Deanne, the cotinus is a perfect replacement. I was able to find a fuschia sunray and some other cool annuals which I promptly took cuttings of ;o)

Martie, I like your raised bed, be sure to put up pictures of it later in the season too.

Saucy, I love to see old family photos. The one in the canoe is really fun.

bug, nice fern. I had a brake fern last year that was variegated. I really enjoyed it. It didnt like life as a houseplant this winter though.

Anita, I havent had a problem with that campanula, but I noticed a huge area of artemisia that I received as a "gift" that will need to be beat back into bounds or removed.

Cynthia, depending the diameter of your tree, you could secure a pot up there. I saw a garden where they had columns with pots of draping type plants on top of them. They added nice height to the garden and were just interesting.

This past week a young man of 31 from this area died of a rare form of dementia that he had for several years.

Im off to enjoy the beautiful although breezy day.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

For Saucy and other pig lovers. This, from a bakery:

{{gwi:158047}}

• chelone
    15 years ago

I'm finished! I'm pooped! and it feels great. :) I was thinkin' it's a pity you guys aren't coming over for a viewing. It's big room, L shaped, and there is a lot of stuff in it. Add to that the fact that it's been a long time since it's had a thorough cleaning and you can understand my relief. There are a few thises and thats remaining (need to dust my and organize my desk, deal with the forced bulbs that are hitting dormancy on the windowsill, and I have to shampoo the upholstery in the helpmeet's chair) but the place "cleans up nice".

I have to tackle Mum's room next. :( For some reason I just haven't been able to do it since she moved down with my brother. I have her clothes to go through (the ones that weren't lost/stolen by that "nursing hole") and take to the thrift and there is the last of her correspondence to sort and cry over. I think I'm finally at enough peace with her sad end to do it.

I mow the lawn, too, Anita. And I love doing it, too. I put on the ear protection and basically go for a walk. We have a self-propelled mower so it's more a question of aiming the mower than actually muscling it around the yard. Smells so nice and looks so good when it's all finished. I'm not much of a consumer, but the one thing I do every 4 weeks is have my hair cut.

The gal who cuts it is always taking classes/seminars in cutting and shaping. She's really good at it, the cuts grow out so well that even though it's long it's still easily manageable. She was wonderful with Mum, too, patient and pleasant. And Mum's hair was tough to cut. It was thick and had a bunch of unruly cowlicks and she gave Mum short, chic cuts that required minimal styling by working with her hair instead of against it. It really is an art to be able to cut, color, and style hair. My hair is pretty grey and we have a running joke that I'm about to join the blue rinse club. :)

Exciting about your son, Michelle. It must be great for you to see his excitement. You don't think Kenzie would appreciate a water garden? ;) It will be interesting to see how you decide to work with the area.

60 pieces of Liriope is a lot of planting. I love the stuff but I've had minimal luck with it and haven't tried it in several years now. I chuckled at you stewing moderately over the Cannas, Cynthia. Funny how things like that stick in your brain until you solve them.

Interesting story on Mollie, Jerri. If I remember correctly from 4-H, horses carry the bulk of the weight on the front legs, rather like a loaded wheelbarrow. So a prosthetic limb up front has to bear considerable weight and concussion. It's that aspect of their conformation that makes a racehorse so vulnerable to injury. Figure a 1,000-1200lb. animal galloping at about 40 mph and all that weight coming down on one foreleg (the circumference of a cannon bone is about 9-10") with the ankles and delicate bones of the hoof absorbing the shock. It's a lot to ask, especially of immature animals. It's a wonder there aren't more fatalities.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Just close your eyes Chelone, this won't take long!

So Michelle, perhaps Reed is following your son's example? No Lamborghinis to practice on though...

{{gwi:158049}}

The little guy has teeth now but yesterday decided to help in the garden by eating MUD. Then he got sick.... But he's a happy guy who enjoys playing with his big brother.
    {{gwi:158050}}

OK, all done. Hope it wasn't too painful.

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Ei, how exciting! I want to be the first to know when that movie comes out and if you are in it.
    I liked his pirate movies because of the comedy in them.

The gosling tale is to funny. You are a hero. So sad about the male duck though. Thank you for caring.
    And now ducks on your roof. Too funny.

Bug Ei said exactly what I was thinking. All the pictures you show of your barn and lane look like calendar shots. Chuckled at the 4th be with you. LOL Somebody is really creative, love the pig.

Wendy I thought your DS deserved a pat on the back for doing the Clifford costume thing too.

Deanne thanks for the shot of the obelisk. LOL Goose Whisperer.
    I potted up a few cuttings today. I am sad that I lost my Sedona and Alabama Sunset ones. I hope the nursery has some when I go. They were big players in my containers last year.
    It is hard to get started on those "time" projects. DH calls them round tuit projects.

Martie I hear you on the plant and soil mix costs. Last year I had a good size pile of compost I used in the pots. I think it is time to visit the large animal humane farm up the road and restock.

Good mystery solving Cynthia. Also good problem solving with the liriope. You certainly have a lot of patience training the dogs.

Michelle, what a wonderful new job for your son.

Congratulations on a clean abode Chelone. It always feels good to get some deep cleaning done. Sadly the dust returns in a few days time.

Count me in as liking to mow too. Today I backed off the heavy work in the garden and just puttered. I've been moving some stuff from areas that just haven't worked out, into the newer beds to fill in. It was nice to just step back and look at things too.

I would like to see a post from BRENDA are you out there lurking or farming? Later Norma

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Bug both shots are cute. I bet Skylar likes having a little brother to play with.

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Jerri, thanks for sharing the story about Molly. She looks like a POA and a pretty one to. How unfortunate for her. But it does seem she has bigger things to do. Norma

• anitamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

michelle...sounds like a great job your son found. Kudos on his being recruited for it, he must be good.

chelone...what a great client you must be. I love my four week clients, their hair always looks good since they keep up with it so well. LOL on the blue rinse club. I always get chills when you speak of your mom. I can feel the compassion you had for her coming right through the computer screen. Glad you've found the peace to deal with her belongings.

bug...love the pig. Talented baker. How old is Reed now? Is he walking yet? Such a beautiful toddler. Skyler looks like he's thoroughly enjoying playing with him.

michele...great idea with attaching a pot with trailing plants to a tree stump. I have a couple areas where that would work well. Scary about the young man getting a rare form of dementia.

cynthia...you're lucky the more colorful liriope grows in your area. I can only get the plain green kind to overwinter here. It's not an especially pretty plant.

All of the talk about taking cuttings is making me wanti to finally attempt it. What does everyone root it in? Perlite? Or sand? Are you doing this for annuals only, or perennials, too? With the prices of plants (and everything else) escalating, it's a great money saver. I worked outside today for five hours...with mowing taking a large chunk of it. Then tonight, went to the salon to do hair for three family members. Now I'm off to watch Desperate Housewives. What would I do without DVR? I can hardly stand to watch regular TV anymore. It's great to skip through all the commercials.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Today's the day, you guys. The backhoe guy is coming at 9 AM and we're going to move the blueberries (Vaccinium corymbosum) to begin the screen along the road. I'm nervous about it, two are rather large and all 5 are fully budded and just waiting for the next round of warm days to really get rolling. I'd have preferred to do this some weeks ago, but you know how that goes! At the worst, they may die, or will have to be pruned really hard, but they are very tough plants and perfectly suited to the site in question and we're willing to coddle them to get them established. Cross your fingers for us.

I am hoping to underplant them with some of the many native ferns that seem to share their preference for conditions; the wild card being the mixture of more sun and therefore more variable moisture levels. I want easy care stuff that WANTS to grow in that site, favoring native plant material seems prudent.

The thing about establishing a living barrier along the road is how many plants are required to actually accomplish an initially lush and visually meaningful presence! Even with 5 Vaccinium of large/moderate size it's a drop in the bucket because they are to be planted in more of a grove-like setting, rather than strung along like little Redcoat soldiers in Revolutionary War formation. So what will the next "grove" be? I'm still reading about appropriate material that will get tall (8-12') for seasonally soggy, acid soil. It doesn't have to be evergreen, it just needs to grow thickly and reliably. I've been doing some reading on Magnolia viginiana, which I think could be a nice introduction. As well as Ilex verticillata. Anyone have any good suggestions?

I think the sun is trying to come through the clouds! And it's probably time for me to haul on my work clothes and think about getting some "before" shots and refining the sites for bounty.

Hoping for continued productivity for me and YOU.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning... :-)

Very busy, tiring weekend and too pooped to pop this morning. Lots I would like to comment on, but hope a photo will do..

{{gwi:158051}}

Blooming fields of rapeseed plants weave around hills near Luoping in Yunnan Province. Photograph by George Steinmetz

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Bright sunny morning! Yesterday afternoon at about 3pm the skys cleared and temps shot up about 15degF. Layers came off and so did shoes, then lots of eyeing what might have been lost in the freeze. So far only the Chionanthus buds look black but not too far down.

Inquiring minds want to know what's INSIDE that pig?? Sweet or savory?? Wish I could do stuff like that and have people other than me know what it is. LOL

Chelone: A gentle warning about going through your Mom's things -- it hit me hard when I sorting through my Grandma's stuff -- her scent will still be there, even after all this time. It blindsided me so whenever I can, I offer a heads up. Olfactory sense is one of the strongest when it comes to memory. You will have fun, though, remembering things that happened when "that piece" was in the picture. Enjoy the time. And, when can you come and work on MY office? LOL

Great liorope plan, Cynthia! It'll be filled in in no time. Also easily identify with "toss it or not???" decisions.

Lots of purple Siberian Iris sounds in order, Michelle. And perhaps some of the variegated willow to soak up the water? I have one in a pastelly yellow/peach/green that does the trick.

This is going to be a cruise week. Boss is in LA and great as he is, this means there's only a four-hour window of communication time a day. Friday afternoon he left us all with a "have a great week, but don't forget to work." LOL

Not much else at this point. It's been so fun reading about everyone's activities and learning of interesting ancestors. The pics have been great and I'll bet that Michelle's DS and Reed would really like each other. Continued good wishes are being sent far and wide for all the good, bad and inbetween health news filtering in.

Martie

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

GB - love the latest Reed photos! Mama pig is very cool but I couldn't imagine plunging a knife in.

Michelle - your DS' new job sounds fantastic!! Does he get a company car to go along with it? I've fallen behind on reading and wasn't sure if McKenzie moving was still a possibility.

Cynthia - I love reading about how you train the greyhounds!

PM - your photo is so very soothing - ahhhhh...

Chelone - hope the Vaccinium enjoy their new home.

Anita - I've had limited success with cuttings (Deanne is one of the masters!) but do manage Brugmansia, geraniums, plectranthus, coleus and succulents. I use either perlite, potting mix or for the easiest to root, just water. The book Making More Plants by Ken Druse is a fabulous resource and one I turn to often. Nothing beats the satisfaction of plants you have propogated yourself!

Yesterday started out grey and rainy but turned into the most beautiful day. I spent the afternoon in the garden, finishing cleaning up the beds farthest from the house and completing the plant moves. The air was cool and crisp, the sun shining and working outside was heavenly. Everything is so green and fresh and full of promise, I fell in love with my garden all over again.

While I was working Annie made me an early Mother's Day cake (next week is her birthday which we celebrate over Mother's Day). Completely independently she made the most delicious lemon layer cake with lemon curd filling and cream cheese frosting. It was such a treat to have a slice with my afternoon cup of tea. It must have taken close to 3 hours with all the steps which included a complete clean up afterwards. Isn't that the best Mother's Day gift anyone could have?

Hope you all have a great start to the week.

Mary

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Here's a link to a hardy shrub that I'm considering, Chelone.

Hi to all! Off to read more and get Sarah off to the bus. No time to linger today!

Have a great day, everyone!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I'm not sure of the conditions Chelone...I guess acidic if Vaccinium enjoy it there. Semi-sunny? Cornus alternifolia grow really well for me..they are wild on the property. Perhaps they grow too tall for you? They'd need something at the base to block the view though. More ferns?
    But best of all are the cranberry bushes. (Viburnum trilobum) I got mine on sale for $4 each at the Fall sales! They are huge and glorious in bloom after several years! Excellent for screening. Tolerant of wet. I'm not sure if they are the European or American ones- hard to tell the difference. 3-4 meters tall, zone 2.

The pig was made by a bakery to decorate the window...so no filling or slicing was involved!

Reed is now 10 1/2 months old. He has teeth, and that makes him look quite different! He walks holding on to furniture, climbs UP stairs but not down, has various styles of crawling.

{{gwi:158052}}

Thanks for the photo PM2! Your photos are a part of the Idyll experience for me, just life Sue's TGIF!
    I hope to accomplish outdoor work today.

• chelone
    15 years ago

The site is on the east side of the house, between 12 and 24" below the road grade. There is a lot of runoff into an area that is already on the moist side. The big change in the site is the availability of SUN throughout the summer months. It can very hot out out there until the sun begins to set and the shadow of the garage provides shade. It's over 6 hrs. of sun at the height of the growing season.

We have staked the sites for them. All the plants are tied up now. We have marked the rootball of all of them and chiselled in under the lawn blueberry and removed the sod from the base of it. The large one next to the garage we're going to leave for the backhoe guy (who's late). Next up is the huge Lilac in the circle. That ain't gonna be any fat lady's dream. :/ .

Gotta go back to work and think about your suggestions. Fun!

(Reed really is a beautiful baby. Love shines right through, doesn't it?)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

A large lilac was a failure in the relocation program here. I wish you much better success Chelone!

So backhoe guy, shape up and show up! There's time a wasting!!!!! I;m tired just reading about what you've accomplished so far. All I've done so far is breakfast, dog soothing, some clematis inspecting and shooing DH out the door with my minivan to take to Charlie the mechanic...

Still no serviceberry blooms here. Amazing that Marian's were glorious so long ago.

Off to try to start the day once more!

• chelone
    15 years ago

We've moved the two biggest ones. I'm feeling pretty good about the one moved from the lawn, not so sure about the one that was next to the bahn. The other 3 little ones in the circle were too enmeshed with the big maple's roots that extraction was impossible. We killed on them in the attempt.

Now it's on to the Lilac. I am secretly hoping it doesn't make it... powdery mildew every single season.

I have sunscreen in my eyes... stings.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Eden, I wanted to thank you for the link to the Wee Garden website. I've spent some time viewing all the fun stuff there. I think I've found a new love LOL I picked up a few miniature garden items when I was shopping this weekend.

Oh, look at that big boy with the toothy smile.

Kenzie is sick today. When they called me she told her mom to tell me that she wanted to "lay on grandma's couch" How I wish she could, but I was on my way to work already.

1:00 time to get to work

Later
    Michelle

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Chelone -- Any of the Viburnums? Or did someone already say that? Oh, well. At Bluestone you can get a bunch of them and plant'em tight. I'm breaking up the line with annuals this year and in a few more years spread them out,leaving a place for neighbors to visit :-)

Michelle - (((( your heart for Kenzie))) Hope she's great, soon.

'bug - just when you think he can't get cuter ....

PM2 - We need to get together soon! Digitalis is 3" tall.

Bopping to old Santana, tonight :-)

Manana!

Martie

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Hack! Wheeze! Sniff! HONK! ZZZZ!

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Oh no Woody!!!!!Get well FAST! Spring is NOT the time for that.

I think Santana was at Woodstock when we were there....but they say if you remember, you weren't really there. I remember eating Oreo cookies there though!!!

I mowed and mowed today, too short, but hey, hair grows! Also cleaned up the nepeta. Walked the long suffering pooch, who is really antsy to get rid of the darned cone. She's not had any training since last Wednesday, so next Thursday when the lampshade comes off and the stitches are removed, she'll be a real challenge for me. Of course that's when DH is off to Leipzig for the week.

We expect a wet end of the week...

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Woody, I know that song, LOL.
    I think I am on the downhill side of mine, but DH is just starting to cough and feel miserable.
    Michelle is Kenzie's a cold or tummy thing?

It was a nice day here. I watered grass seed and pulled weeds. Ain't that a bite? One I want to grow and the other I don't. N

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Exciting newsflash - head out to your nearest magazine store and in the Fine Gardening Container Planting issue there is an article on our very own Deanne. As a featured North East gardener is a very nice photo, description of her style and two fabu-fabu containers. I felt as proud as if it were one of my own family - BRAVO!

Mary

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Saucy, I have several aronias and am very pleased with them. The birds leave the berries alone for a long time - supposedly they are high in lipids and so the birds wait until it's really cold before they eat them and then get the most advantage from them. Lots of bloom, shiny leaves, dark berries, and I've had no problems. The ones planted on the west side of my house love the evening sun and are a little taller than advertised but still within my needs.

So here's my question to the group shrink - do you ever have trouble letting go of small slights? I have a couple that keep gnawing at me and I'm not sure how to get rid of these issues. I hate to be sort of cryptic, but the latest issue is over new "family traditions" that seem to have sprung up after I passed a certain milestone. I'm definitely in "ungrateful wretch" mode as I put a lot of time and effort into something and I guess I was looking for a little more recognition for my effort. I feel slighted and I also know I shouldn't feel like this - but I can't stop myself. Maybe it's just the accumulation of work stress and other issues? I'll stop whining, but I just want to say that it isn't anyone/anything in this group that has me upset. It's because you guys are all so supportive that I feel like I can vent a little here.

DD started her summer job today, which means I'm now sharing my office for the next couple of months! She has decided to ride to work with me and bring along a book for those days when I stay a little longer to wrap things up. Works for me!

The saga of the bottlebrush buckeye is such a struggle for me because not every nursery carries them, and I have little time to get to many nurseries during the height of spring. By the time I do get out and about, what's left is usually pitiful looking and overpriced for the quality. I don't mind paying $33 for a 5 gallon plant and waiting for it to grow, but when you want to sell me a half-dead 2 gallon plant for more than twice the money, I refuse to play. And then there's the guy who wants $250 or more wholesale for his! Oh well, at least I have a ready answer when I'm asked what I want for Mother's Day.

We took a walk this evening and enjoyed the trillium. The camera, alas, stayed in the house.

Sorry for the missed photos!

V.

• anitamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, how exciting about Deanne and the magazine article. I'm sure it will be excellent. I will go out tomorrow and get a copy.

Anyone looking forward to Barbara Walter's book? There's been so much publicity on it, most of it from her.:) But it's supposed to be a no holds barred-tell all.

Take care of your colds everyone. Wonder if it's more allergy than virus, though. Take honey and cinnamon for the sore throats, if any.

V...I know the feeling you are describing. I've experienced it myself many times (I'm ashamed to say.) No advice, just commiseration. It's perfectly normal to feel this way at times. We all just want to be appreciated, darn it. LOL.

'nite all,
    Anita

• chelone
    15 years ago

I did some computer searching yesterday afternoon. I followed up on the Aronias (great suggestion, Saucy, and good to know V. has done well with them), Viburnum trilobum, and the Cornus suggestion from 'bug. I did a little more "digging" on Magnolia virginiana, and Ilex verticillata. I am going to visit my favorite local nursery and ask some more questions (we bought a number of very tastey trees and shrubs there last fall). I'm rather in a pickle, Martie, I will have to plunk down the cash and get decent size plants, since we are below road grade in the area requiring screening we're already at a disadvantage.

The net move yesterday was 2 Vaccinium corymbosum (both are pushing 8'H) and a very large Lilac that was rescued from the oblivion of the greenhouse's compost pile in 1992. We were surprised that it came out of the ground so willingingly and it hasn't show any sign of flagging yet... we'll watch her and wait. It doesn't seem like very much, but it was a lot of work and we were pretty tired afterwards.

I was thinking of Kenzie longing for "Gramma's couch". And what a nice place that would be for a 3 yr. old who doesn't feel well. Snuggling up with a "bankie" and having a story read to you... sounds pretty good to me, too. Maybe you could take in Woody and Norma, too?

Letting go of little things... sure, V., there are times I really like to "stew in my own juices", too. ;) Usually, I get the, "wanna tell me what's wrong, or would you rather remain pissy?". Then I spit it out and that's the end of it. Funny how the little things can really be the hardest to get rid of... like papercuts and itty-bitty splinters in the pads of your fingers. Clearly, the remedy to your woes is a Bottlebrush Buckeye. Appreciation and recognition are universal human needs.

I'm going in later today, will be solo and staying until 4PM. :( Then it's race home, meet with painting contractor and then the excavator guy to finalize the final sweep and line of the driveway. Maybe empty the ground floor windowboxes and remove them from the side of the house? (pushing the ambition limit).

Hope Phoebe endures the remainder of the week and doesn't explode into puppu revolt at its removal. Rex is pretty sick of the leash and being forced to w a l k (not what the boogie dawg likes to do). I sympathize.

And Deanne, I can't wait to see the article, think of the millions who will be drooling and buying the plants you use so skillfully. Many a greehouse will laud you, while others will curse your inventiveness. ;)

Gotta get rollin', friends.

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Very quick good morning but wanted to say:

CONGRATS DEANNE!

V: I get it. Write it down, rip it up, burn it, and see if that helps.

Chelone: I hear you on the wait for plants. Might be worth a trip to a particular nursery in MA (probably a two hour drive from your house) that specializes in large-sized shrubs and reasonable prices. Email me if you want to know more.

Martie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning....lots of birds chripping outside the window this morning. Great to listen to after a long winter.

Well, tried to catch up, and had such a long post that it was just awe inspiring..lol. It was so long....that I decided to break it up into parts and post a little here and there....lol.

Michelle, hope your weather has improved and would like a photo of your Sambucus

Mary wondering when you will know about the move? I haven't been following the Harry Potter series, but I do think your figures were very recognizable. What really impresses me is the way in which your fun little crafting endeavors are stimulating your Annie to explore her own creative tendencies.

Saucy...I must have missed something, because not sure what happened with your crazy neighbor, but from the sounds of her behavior, something is seriously wrong there. I can imagine how stressful it must have been. You must have a bird friendly garden to have babies. Sounds lovely. DH and I watch Lost...and this week's episode was particularly perplexing...lol. I enjoyed your memories of your grandmother and would really enjoy a separate post on the subject. I never knew any of my grandparents and really felt I missed out. My Mom was the youngest of a large family and I was next to the youngest of her children, so I missed out on a lot.

Wendy, that is a cute photo of your son to be able to add to the scrapbook.

Woody....It sounds like your MRI results were encouraging. Still leaving you in limbo about whether there will be more symptoms from the treatment is a pain, but at least knowing that nothing is stemming from the tumor has to be a relief. I would like to share with you that I deal with neurological problems sometimes and I see a Naturopath in addition to my mainstream doctors. Right now he has me taking Lipoic Acid to help with healing nerves. None of which are as severe as yours and not to say that there isn't more than just the Lipoic Acid, but thought I would throw that out there for you to be aware of.

Gardenbug...how about using rocks or stones as a material for raised beds in the front yard? P.Allen Smith had a very formal four square vegetable garden that was very visible in his open side yard. It was a simple four, six foot square beds I think in a square. He would keep them immaculate and plant with precision and changed them with each season. His were wood. His old episodes usually had something about them in most of them.

On the topic of lurkers. I have heard they are there but haven't had any first hand experience so I will just accept that all of you who have been here longer than I have, must have first hand knowledge. But I have had a few chuckles this morning, thinking about garden fairies and garden gnomes and for some odd reason leprechuans popped into my head...lol. Finally, I had a mental image of that series of books, Where's Waldo? Please don't bother trying to follow my reasoning here...my sense of humor is unfathomable at times. [g] Seriously though I don't have a problem with lurkers at all. I am sure on every forum on GW there are lurkers.

To be continued.... :-)

• saucydog
    15 years ago

WooHoo! Congratulations Deanne! I will be scooting out to find my very own copy today!

Woody, I hope the sneezes/sniffles pass you by quickly - feel better soon.

V., I sort of do what Martie does....I write it down. I read it a couple of times until I solve the problem in my head....paper gets shredded.

I hope it passes soon....for me it is the worst kind of agony :)

So glad someone can tell me that they like the Aronia. I found a good source and am going to place them with the 8' tall viburnums around the property. I figure they'll make a good transition from lawn/garden to woods.

Today is personal trainer day. Week 4. Today is the first day I'm not excited....but I guess that moment had to come :)

I'm off to the bus! Have a great day!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I love the aronia/viburnum talk....

V, I have trouble letting go...of letting go of small and large slights both. Bearing a grudge is an ugly painful business, especially when you think of yourself as a thoughtful good person. Well, I think of YOU as an especially kind and thoughtful soul, so I am already annoyed that anyone could slight you. It doesn't help to have a good memory sometimes either. OK, now that that is committed to the screen, it's time to press the delete button and move on I guess. I think a Bottlebrush Buckeye and a sensitive & sympathetic husband to take you out (to dinner?) would be a great approach to this.

Deanne, I must say that over the last few years I not only check the craft magazines but Fine Gardening to see if you are featured there. I have certainly spotted your painting work but not yet the FG. At last! It had to be....I'm also waiting for Sue's garden to appear...and Monique's - and others' too.

PM, you are such a thoughtful poster! I look forward to your comments to all.

Later,
    'bug

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

For Chelone -- Bluestone shrubs (the deciduous ones) going into their third year.
    {{gwi:158053}}

What a day outside!!

Martie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Catchup Part 2....

Cindy...hope your feeling better. There is a lot of that stomach bug going around. Were you able to do anything in the yard this weekend?

Norma, hope your head cold is better.

Ei...temp services are great. A family member was temping and was just offered a great job. It also seems to be a popular way of supplementing your income when you have extra expenses. Glad to hear things are at least looking up with your Mom and Sister. You seem to handle it all with a lot of grace. :-) Loved your photos! The hat especially! Sounded like a fun day for you. Now I will know who I am looking for in the next Johnny Depp movie. :-) That Kermit the Frog song is on my iTunes list...lol. My favorite of his, though is The Rainbow Connection.

Chelone.....you seem to have as much to do at your house, as we have at ours, but in your case you are getting yours done. lol I envy you your clothes line. I hope it is outdoors. I used to bring all the laundry outdoors, but can't keep up with it any more. We hang a great deal of our clothes in the house because most of them are cotton and shrink in the dryer anyway. Really miss that wonderful fresh smell on the sheets when they have been out in the sunshine. Gee, I have to really get back to hanging clothes outdoors. I did enjoy it. I just remembered that I have an extra old fence post that I could use to attach one of those retractable clothes lines to. Maybe I will ask for my son to help me do that.

Martie, Love your tripods and planter with paver access in your veggie bed. You're going to have some serious 'cool' going on when everything is growing! If you email me through GW, I will email you back so we can figure something out about the foxglove. All your seedlings look so healthy! How did the Garden Club sale go?

Kathy....sorry I missed saying good luck on your trip. Looking forward to hearing all about it when you come back and to see a ton of Mr Baby photos!

....there's more...

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

We woke up under the rainbow this a.m. literally. The sun was coming up and there was a full rainbow right over our farm. I tried to photograph it, but I really couldnt get back far enough to get a good shot. I would have had to traipse over the neighbors newly planted cornfield to really get it.

I got up a little early since the temp was 52 I thought a garden stroll before work would be nice. I tried for the rainbow shots and then it started to rain. We are supposed to get to nearly 80 today. I suppose we will go right into summer and skip spring :o(

Congratulations Deanne, its about time FG notices some of our fine gardeners.

Chelone, would your site benefit from a berm?

Norma, Kenzie seems to have a cold with a fever.

Heres a YouTube video of one of the area tornadoes the other night. This is near where one of Ricks sons and his family live.

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

{{gwi:158054}}

Scenic Hwy. 7 Foggy Sunrise (AR6)
    Ozark National Forest, Arkansas
    Mike Boyd

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Part 3...

Deanne...a week in the garden sounds very exciting and I think you will have great weather for gardening this week too. Waiting to see Cotinus 'Golden Spirit'. BTW, I have the Dart's Gold Ninebark that is also a lovely Chartruese color shrub that is also a native for anyone looking for anothe choice. Nothing like the Sambucus though. The Cotinus sounds very interesting. Thanks for the tip on the HD pots. I usually go to the Lowe's which is closer but will check out the HD if I get a chance. The photo of the plant tripod your DB made...he did a great job! Nice rhododendron behind it too. Lovely black metal tripod too. It would be really great filled with plants.

Cindy, sorry to hear about your MIL. My MIL is also experiencing severe short term memory loss. She is in her late 80s as well and hasn't been living on her own for a long time now. I am pretty sure she is on a med for it which really helped bring improvement but not sure what the name of it is. Looks like there are lots of us in the same situation.

Chelone...we watched the Kentucky Derby on Sunday as we usually do. What an awful turn of events to see that horse down on the track. Really horrible and I have always wondered why these race horses are bred with such very thin legs instead of trying to breed heavier support for them in their legs. I found it impossible to celebrate with the winner after such a tragedy. I see you are sorting Mom's things soon. Maybe on a Saturday when you can plan brunch out with DH on Sunday? :-) Maybe you will find some things you can incorporate around the house in memory.
    Plantings with Blueberries? Acid lovers I guess...rhododendrons, azaleas. Ilex glabra is native, not sure of the needed conditions, but they are evergreen. There is a Magnolia that I read good things about on one of the other forums. Bracken's Brown Beauty. Link below. I second a Viburnum. Lots of year round interest and potential berries for birds. The maresii gets about 12 x 15 feet and fairly quickly with that horizontal layering effect. I added one to my border in part shade and it is doing very well. Also likes moisture. 'Ghost' fern is a native cross and my favorite. NEWFS has it. I agree with G'bugs Cornus alternafolia and there is a variegated form that is quite lovely. Cornus racemosa is a native that has great fall color and grows anywhere. My lilacs with powdery mildew I am getting rid of soon too. Sadly, I have held on to them for a long time because my Mom loved lilacs, but I am going to try to replace with mildew resistant varieties if I can find any. I agree with Martie...Bluestone has small inexpensive sizes for shrubs. NEWFS has them a little larger, for about $25. each. Very reasonable.

Saucy...I have had that happen to me, going looking for the photos and not finding them where I thought they were. Very upsetting. I hope your sister can make up some copies and share them with you. Loved the old photos. I can really see a family resemblance. Maybe your eyes from your grandmother? What do you think, do you look like your maternal or paternal side of the family the most? We just bought a new printer/scanner with the new Apple and have that on my list to get to of going through old photos to try to put them on files. Maybe in the heat of the summer when I am staying out of the garden. [g] Sorry about your Tree! I missed what kind it was. What are you thinking of adding in it's place?

I seem to remember mentioning to someone that I didn't know any of my grandparents, as they all died either before I was born or when I was little. I do have a couple of stories that my Mom shared about her parents that I will share some time when I have less catching up to do. Even not having met them in person, I still feel a connection to them through the stories my Mom told me about them.

Jerri....you must be resting today after the weekend you had. [g] That was an unbelievable photo of Molly! I had never heard of a horse having a prosthetic leg. Amazing!

Sue....it must have been a surreal weekend, despite sounding ready for it. Glad it is at least behind you. Would love photos of the new couch. :-)

pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Well, since no one else is posting, I might as well finish my catch up....

Ei...what a harrowing day you had with the goslings! So sad. I think these things must happen all the time without our being aware of them and despite the pain it caused you to see it, if you hadn't been there, maybe the goslings would have been more victims. I don't know about Geese, but the swans we watch at the pond are a really tight family unit. The parents are very protective of the signets and one swims in front, one behind. I watched a family all through one season a few years ago and I found myself crying in the fall when the signets which are adolescents at that point, separate from the family to go and establish themselves. Just was so upsetting to see just the parents every time we would go and wonder where the signets were. Glad you were able to help. That is some 'odd couple' on your roof. lol Oh...I see someone has anointed you 'Goose Whisperer' LOL

Here were our Swan parents with their adolescent signets...

{{gwi:158055}}

GBug...poor Phoebe!! Ooops! I don't believe I almost said Charlotte. :-( I have never seen a variegated fern. Glad everything is drying out on the farm. Lovely view! My serviceberries are just flowering the past week. Laughed at the Pig/Piglets. Reed looks quite comfortable on that car. [g] How lucky is he to have a big brother to play with! How is Skylar doing these days?

Cynthia.... I don't envy you the job of separating lirope.

Eden....Your Bella is adorable sitting under the umbrella reading to the dog!! :-) So very sweet. She must get a lot of enjoyment from your garden. Looks like you have done a lot of work there and hope you will post more photos as everything blooms! I love that sitting area in the middle with the green umbrella and the curving walkway!

Norma...I had a Sedona Coleus I lost a couple of years ago. My tastes change so often though. I am on to Light, yellow coleus now. I tried for three years to overwinter coleus and stopped doing it this winter.

Michelle...congratulations on your son's new job. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity. On the secret garden...There are lots of plants I would love to grow that enjoy moisture, any chance you could plant a wet garden? Kenzie...'Grandma's couch' Awww! I hope she feels better. My doc told us there is still a lot of bugs going around.

Mary...I can second that Ken Druse book. Although I do more seed sowing then cuttings. I have enjoyed cuttings too. Sounds like you do a lot more than you are giving yourself credit for. My mouth is watering for that lemon cake! Good daughter! So nice to hear you express how much happiness your garden is giving you this spring. :-)

V...letting go of little things and big things...I find it easier to do when I am doing well, well rested and not under stress. When is that? lol Talking it out and being able to express my hurt, although not always necessary or advisable. Not always helpful if you don't receive any understanding of how you feel, then you might feel worse. Basically, remembering my own shortcomings and how hard life is for me at times and how much that effects how I respond to others, and how very much I appreciate when I am given forgiveness at those times. I have to remind myself that life is hard for everyone and even when I don't understand or identify, I just remember how many times I have felt unfairly judged and misunderstood and I try not to do that to other people. Remembering how sincere my good intentions are even when I fall short and how badly I feel when I do, I guess I project that to others and it makes me feel better. Effort and intentions is more important to me than results I guess.

Marty...my DH is a very big Santana fan. We used to go to his concerts when he was in town.

Anita...I am ridding my bed of a weed that seems to be Campanula related. Looks like 'Lady Bells' if you have ever seen it. I do enjoy campanula but they are like candy to groundhogs, and I don't want to attract them. Another person who has experienced dementia with a relative. I guess we are all of that age. You were so lucky to have your grandmother as long as you did. Wonderful! I have a DVR box from the cable company and I also hate to have to watch anything in real time. I love zipping past the endless commercials. We are all spoiled with that here.

Woody...sorry you have a cold, hope it is short lived.

Marian...I miss your photos of spring at your house. Wondered if you might post another thread with more?

Wow, Deanne! Fine Gardening magazine!! I am going to have to check that out. Would enjoy hearing the story of how that came about. Congratulations!

Well, I consider myself officially caught up, we'll see how long that lasts. [g]

pm2

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Congratulations Deanne! Well deserved and I'm so proud of you!

Hope Woody and poor little Kenzie are both feeling better today!

Michelle, I'm glad you're getting inspiration from The Wee Garden. So am I.

Marie, such a sweet smile on Reed and I love those little baby teeth. He's looking less like a baby and more like a toddler.

On the subject of sambucus... I haven't yet had any die back on my sutherland gold. I planted it in 2004. I do have a cotinus golden spirit that I planted last spring that had a lot of die back over winter and is just now starting to leaf out later than about anything else in my garden. I have a little physocarpus nugget in that same color range that I planted last year that I'm really loving. It's supposed to stay small. As for other sambucus I have a native one that grows like gangbusters and I'm constantly hacking on to keep in it's area. It's beautiful when in bloom though. Of the dark ones black beauty is my favorite. I have black lace too but it always seems floppy to me. I'd rather use a japanese maple for pretty much the same look. Here's a picture of my sutherland gold from a few days ago. That fence is 6 ft. tall. to give you an idea of the size.

{{gwi:158056}}

Inspired by Chelone, I'm scrubbing the bathroom today. The interior of my house is at the point I have to stop gardening and clean it for health reasons :)

I started work on the bog yesterday. 5 parts spaghnum peat moss, one part perlite and lots of water. Also required was lots of muscle, for me at least, to mix it all up.

Back to my scrubbing. My plan is to thoroughly clean one room a day this week. During gardening season I'm glad I don't have a big house.

It's a beautiful day here today. 60s and sunny. Hope it's nice at your house too!

Eden

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I expected a warm sunny day, but...no.
    {{gwi:158057}}

Some of the flood damage is now seeded. A good day for it.
    {{gwi:158058}}

Once again, my all white tulips played tricks on me.

All white here...
    {{gwi:158059}}

But here:
    {{gwi:158060}}

Every year I think I have the problem solved...

Later,
    'bug

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Just sneaking in at lunch - it's another "fun" week at the awfice.... that leaves me too tired for much but wanting to crawl in bed at nite! I did manage to SALAT a couple minutes but that was it - of course, it could also have something to do w/ the 2 days of hard labor I put in the yard last weekend.

So many lovely photos and things to comment on -- PM2, you did such a good job responding to everyone -- I see something & mean to mention and then forget...

Chelone -- re shrubs - folks have given you a ton of ideas but have you looked at any of the evergreen hollies? some of them grow really big really fast....I've had them be pretty rough and tumble too, altho I only have a couple at my present house.

Eden, what a great pic of that sambucus... you know Im a latecomer to appreciating that color -- yellow & charteuse are not big on my "enjoyment" meter, but I love it all combined - but have a hard time deciding to incorporate it in my own yard. You and Monique are the masters at that I think - those combos - so gorgeous.

I had another "tiff" w/ another service person on Sunday - after discovering no air conditioning working & putting 2 calls in - one to the company that has my a.c. contract and the other to the furnace company that installed the new furnace in December (somehow I had this feeling they might not have done something) - it ended up costing me $175 w/ my contract a.c. folks because they furnace company had not hooked a wire up... then the furnace co. owner refused to reimburse me for that amount because I should have waited for them to come take a look -- the next day.... like I have extra time to futz with someone else and take another day off -- short-sighted -- because I was going to change my yearly contracts on both a.c. and furnace to the new guy - and he could have recouped that $175 in the new contract... but not now - I told him that but he was not moved... all because they were incompetent to begin with... Yes, I know you're wondering why I had the a.c. on (or attempting that) -- it was over 85 in my bedroom and I stifled -- and my allergies make it impossible to leave windows open so Im an a.c. freak... the weather hits over 77 and I've got it on! Nothing comes easy these days w/ things related to the house - is that an understatement or what?

There are so many great threads going over idyll gardens and walks - I am going to have to take 1/2 day off to look at them! Pls. dont think I dont like 'em if I dont get to post a comment!!!!

Chelone -- it's the time of year when I start to reflect about this time last year and Mom's last illness and death -- Im trying to push it out of my mind but not very successfully -- I think of all the stuff that needs to be cleaned out and I am sad - altho my sister probably has taken it all by now -- and that upsets me because there are some photos and sentimental things I would have wanted to reproduce for each of us or divide equally -- but I guess it's part of that process of letting go to go thru things, so the plan of cleaning, sorting, weeping, and then going out someplace w/ your helpmeet sounds like a brilliant idea.

Well, I think I've got a contractor set up for the week of the 19th -- gonna take that week off and get the basement painted, hopefully carpet installed as well -- but even more, I just want to stay home and garden and get some garden therapy in... Sounds like you need some of that too, V....

Ok, break is over. Back to grinding.

-cindy

• chelone
    15 years ago

Cindy, I like "back to the grinding". That's a good one. Sometimes that's how it feels, huh? With respect to home ownership, the helpmeet's fond of repeating, "The infrastructure is collapsing!". Feels like it sometimes, I know. Sounds as though a week off spent gardening while the worker bees hover around your hive will prove profitable in more ways than one.

Eden, add my voice to Cindy's with respect to that chartreuse/yellow foliage thing. There's something about it that initially sets my nerves on edge, yet when I see it skillfully placed in combination with other things it can be quite attractive. I'm inching my way into using it more. We have a theory about why we are rarely sick and it involves our cavalier approach to cleaning. No way could the contageons of the outside world survive on the compound! ;)

Forget it, guys. I'm out of steam and this is going to have to be it tonight. I need a cat and my book. Talk atcha in the AM.

• anitamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is this National Clean Bathroom week or something? LOL. I scrubbed the bathrooms today, too. It's great to have that out of the way. As long as the beds are made, baths are clean and no dishes in sink, I feel ready for company.

eden...Beautiful sambucus. When I see healthy ones, it makes me want to try again. But I paid too much for the one that died on me, that I'm afraid to try again. I'll content myself with cotinus and ninebark. Are those peonies growing next to the sambucus? Or something else in the hoops?

'bug...rainy or sunny, your photos (and gardens) are enchanting.

cindy...hope you get the a/c and furnace situation straightened out soon...and to your satisfaction. Poor customer service seems the order of the day lately for a lot of companies. So when someone does a job well done, I want to jump for joy. [g]

pm2...boy, bet your tired from typing. Where do you find the photos you post? I look forward to seeing what you come up with...all amazing.

woody...how are you feeling today?

chelone...you have been getting great suggestions on what shrubs to plant. Looking forward to see what you decide on.

sue...how are you?

I didn't get to the store for the FG magazine, but tomorrow for sure. Had the grandsons today (every Tues.) then weeded for a while after they left. No energy left to drive anywhere.

Anita

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good evening

Gorgeous photos here today - Martie's well groomed park, GB's spring, Eden's fabulous Sutherland Gold (mine went the same way as Deanne's), PM's swans and a lovely foggy morning.

This evening I was given a break. DH offered to take Annie and BF to her birthday present rock concert. It was a generous offer as although the band are acceptable, the whole event is way outside his comfort level. However, I know Annie will really appreciate it. DH just called to tell me that all was going well, and that contrary to his prediction, he is not the oldest person there - he just saw someone in a wheelchair with oxygen.

I compensated by giving the kitchen a thorough and much needed clean and decided I need to try Eden's approach of one room a day. I think my approach fits Chelone's description of 'cavalier' too! I too am convinced that the immune system is like a muscle, and only through use does it get a chance to develop. I think ours get a regular daily work out.

Other news of the day is that the possible move is now off, at least for the immediate future so I am free to breathe again and start planning the summer. The job DH had been invited to apply for has undergone a change and is not being created after all. Easier than someone else being offered it I guess. This afternoon I had my annual delivery of the town's leaf mold and it is steaming and fragrant on the driveway. Clousseau thinks he's died and gone to heaven, luxuriating in its warmth and aroma.

Hope you all have a good evening
    Mary

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I'm exhaling for you Mary!
    Also feeling for ya Cindy!

This afternoon the new neighbour next door walked over to ask if her plant was a weed or not. YES, crown vetch! Two hours later she left. I guess she wanted to visit...

We just returned from the gas station...cost $100!

Phoebe chewed through her cone...and so I had to pay $10 for a second one. Sigh.

My days are filled with nonsense. I feel as though I'm always taking backward steps.

Off to find reading for DH's trip tomorrow and do a load of last minute laundry for the helpless male.

Feels like Friday..
    Ciao!

• chelone
    15 years ago

Let's hear it for clean bathrooms. Even the helpmeet has paid attention to the glistening status of that "most private" of rooms. He's been wiping the counter and the inside of the sink! the urge to do so will likely wane with time, but for now it's great and a nice change of habit. I'm all for a room/day. That way it's not completely overwhelming and the cause of paralysis.

And three cheers for knowing you can safely plan the summer, Mary. Idling in neutral is no fun even though one can always Idyll here. I have a great image of Clousseau contentedly lounging atop the steaming, aromatic pile of leaf mold... that's precisely where Wrecks would be. (the cats would have wee-weed in it, too). I love the smell of rotting leaves, it's one of those olfactory treats I look forward to after a long winter.

Interesting you should bring up the idea of a berm, Michelle. The area I'm working on is rather too narrow for one the size required to bring the plantings up to road grade (50' between road and bahn) and the cost of the fill would be prohibitive. But we have used the berm idea on a smaller scale away from the road, where we've planted several choice items "higher" than natural grade and have bermed around them and contoured the backfill down to grade level. It gives a little character to a very flat expanse of nothing. I think it will be quite appealing once the plantings are in place and we've "pimped it up" a trifle. I fear, Cindy, the lovely big Hollies would balk at the level of sogginess... I love them, too, covered in red berries at Christmastime they are breathtaking.

We still, however, have the naturally wet area to address. No matter what we do it will always be the natural place for road runoff and snowbank melt and it will be seasonally soggy regardless. So, in the spirit of Ken Druse, Garden in the Woods, etc., I've decided to use the area to support a natural barrier of moisture, soggy soil shrubs and go WITH the natural inclination instead of trying to fight it. All along our road there are huge stands of Ilex verticillata, Sumac, Chokecherry, etc., and they're really quite handsome. In the late fall after the leaves drop they are full of bird nests, and that's the sort of activity we want to encourage. The present vogue for so many newer homes is to yank out all the native things, regrade, drain, fill, and replace with the usual array of industrial park shrubbery. I'm finding it more challenging than I thought it would be to follow a more "natural" inclination. Martie, if you'd send me an e-mail with some nursery "name dropping" I'd be obliged... I think I know which one you're referencing, but can't be sure until I hear from you! It may well prove worth the drive.

I gave the painting contractor some money yesterday and today have to begin moving things away from the building so he can easily access parts of it that have been pretty well blocked for years. Window boxes are a priority, and so is the delicate operation of tilting the south trellises away from the building. Is it time to leave work yet?

"Shine on, you crazy diamonds".

• saucydog
    15 years ago

A big steamy pile of leaf mold is a perfect way to celebrate, Mary! I'm glad your summer is no longer on hold.

Chelone, I think your plan of working with Nature will produce great results!

PM, the tree was a 100 y.o. maple (of some sort) and it died a slow death beginning with the hook up to town sewage. The large equipment running over the roots was the culprit. It has actually been fun to watch the changes overcome this big tree - lichens and mosses began to grow and attracted bugs and then bug eaters, such as nutchatches and woodpeckers :) It is just a big pile of branches waiting to be chipped now. I am going to plant red oaks in it's honor (since it seems to have plenty of maple offspring around here).

I really want my bees and am kicking myself for not going the quicker route, but I will trust that everything will work out fine....I've noted no bees (except bumbles) in the garden. My neighbor lost her hive over the winter (long story, the queen got killed in a honey extracting accident, LOL).

I've gotta get moving or I'll be at the bus stop in my robe :)

Saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good sunny morning all,

Doug and I have been busy bees here in the gardens this week and getting lots accomplished. Yesterday we emptied out the huge leaf compost bin, shredded all the leaves in it, raked the entire northeast corner/top of the hill and the area we store the trailer in, shredded all those leaves. Mixed about half the shredded leaves with the first couple mowings of grass clippings, watered it all in well and put it back in the big composter. Then we turned in several bushels of already cooking leaf compost then mixed that in well. (my arms are sore today LOL) I've got a batch of leaf compost was put together last Sept or Oct and it should be ready to use in a couple more week. Woohoo! Today Doug and I are going to tackle the pond project. (Have I mentioned I cant wait to get the fish outside) LOL

Anyway, THANKS everyone for your kind remarks regarding the Fine Gardening article. I was so excited and cant believe that really happened. You know how if something seems too good to be true it probably is? Well I kept thinking that this really wouldnt happen and had to pinch myself when my magazine came in.

PM2, I was contacted by the editor of this issue in February. Shed seen some of my pics on another garden forum I participate on. Shed asked to use some photos of my mailbox garden from 2005 for a garden design piece they do in the regular magazine. (That is supposed to be in the Sept. issue if all goes well, there were some image resolution issues to be resolved) Anyway, she asked me to send her some more pics so I sent links to my on line photo galleries and she contacted me a couple weeks later and asked if Id be in the container issue. Ive just been bursting with this news since February but wanted to wait until it actually happened before sharing.

Mary!!!! Great news, Im so happy that you wont have to move but sorry for your DH with the continued travel. That is really a tough way to live. Doug only has to be out of town ever other week and it gets old at times. ~~ Thanks for mentioning the article! But you are "family"!

So, OK all you folks out there sterilizing your bathrooms. Will you send a bit of that energy my way???? I just cant be bothered with indoor stuff right now and the interior of this house seriously need attention.

Eden, so jealous of your Sutherland Gold!!!! Im really missing mine and now am worried that the Cotinus wont be hardy. Id heard it did well in this Zone. Bummer yours had so much winter kill.

Well I just saw my first Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the season!!! He was checking out the little fountain in the bird bath. Woohoo!!!!

Michelle, how neat about that rainbow!!!!! They are pretty difficult to photograph effectively. I dont think the neighbor would have been thrilled for you to be traipsing through his newly planted corn. ~~ Many, many years our weather here does the winter to summer thing and one feels a bit cheated.

Woody, surely hope you are feeling better soon. This is no time of the year to be getting a cold.

Saucy, how did your workout with the trainer go yesterday???

V. Vent away any time you need to. Sometimes that really helps. I can feel pretty ill used by my immediate family at times. They can have some pretty unrealistic expectations.

Anita, how old are your grandsons? Are they old enough to help you weed yet??? LOL

Cindy, more spring pics please???? I just love your garden vignettes.

OK Ive really got to run and get outside and take advantage of this lovely day. Off to drain the pond and other pursuits. Have a GREAT day everyone!

Deanne

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Hi all,
    I'm going to be a 'Grandma' any day now! The babies will have 4 legs and fur but I know the Idyll's won't discriminate. I'm so nervous. I took Ebony to the Vet this morning and she is having 9-11? puppies. She's just beautiful and one of the nicest, calmest fosters I've ever had.
    I just picked her up last night with her sis Checkers. SO cute...

Gotta' run. I'm making a birthing crate.

Jerri

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

See - I told you I was nrevous! LOL Moving this to the right thread.