Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmcilhargie

Update on Jen's Garden

Lara Noles
14 years ago

Here's what we've been up to the last couple of days.

This is Jen's backyard when they moved in.

{{gwi:158066}}

{{gwi:158067}}

Here's what it looked like when we started working on Wednesday morning.

{{gwi:158068}}

{{gwi:158069}}

My work crew...

{{gwi:158071}}

{{gwi:158073}}

{{gwi:158075}}

Megan was the nanny.

{{gwi:158077}}

{{gwi:158079}}

Aftershots...

{{gwi:158081}}

{{gwi:158083}}

{{gwi:158085}}

Next will be spreading mulch and then the real fun will begin. I can't wait until we start adding the plants!

Eden

Comments (16)

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

It really looks great! I of course like how you edged it with rock. I love how so many family members took part. I'm sure Bella was a huge help ;o) What will be planted? Just ornamentals or a few veggies or herbs thrown in?

Michelle

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

"I can't wait until we start adding the plants! "

Me either! But it sure looks fine already! I like that the back fence matches the existing side one.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Wow! Great idea for a layout! It made an instant improvement in the backyard and wonderful size and shape beds to plant in. Of course, I like the rock edge too. [g] Perfect that you were able to match the old fence. Jen and her DH must be tickled to have all the help and to have such a great start. Is a list of plants ready, or still in development? What did you use for fill? It is really nice that you all had a day to make memories together too. :-)

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Now that is the main thing missing in my flowerbeds....a good 'foundation'. I have always felt it necessary to work with what is here, and it isn't all that great. I, too, like the rock border, and the curvy lines. What fun I could have planting that!
    It is amazing how much better the yard looked with just the addition of the fence.

How in the world did you get rid of all that ground cover?

I rue the day I planted vinca minor in the island bed. It has taken over the entire south end of the bed, and is working it's way around the back stretch! I don't mind the rest of it being covered , but regret the south end's condition. :-(
    I used to have a lot of pretty flowers there, that reseeded every year.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Wow, what a huge job! Looks wonderful already. Cant wait to see it filled with plants.
    Deanne

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks you guys!

Michelle, it will be a mixed shrub and perennial garden. She has the little herb garden up by the back door that we put in a couple of years ago.

Marie, the fence along the side of the property was put up by the neighbors a few years ago so Randy had theirs built to match.

PM, the shape of the beds mostly came from enlarging and connecting what was already there. We tried to make the beds deep enough to do some layers. No plan for plants yet but many will come from my garden.

Marian, it took us two summers of applying Roundup and digging to get rid of that ivy. It had been there for a long, long time and it was hard to get rid of.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention the rock border. Those were all rocks that were already on the property so we figured we'd may as well use them.

Eden

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Fun and beautiful at the same time. How neat so many of the family helped out. I always feel a garden is enjoyed more when you've had a hand in it's making. I know you will come up with some wonderful plant combinations. There is nothing more exciting than a well prepared blank canvas when it comes to planting.

Mary

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

It looks like everyone was having fun! And it's off to a great start - I'll be looking forward to the progress reports....

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Eden, the results of everyones efforts looks great. I love working with a blank slate like that. I can just hear the wheels turning in your head. All the plant combos you will come up with. And I know you must have lots of plants to share.

DGD is starting from scratch at their new house and is looking to me for some help. I've been trying to think of some low maintainence stuff,because I doubt she will spend much time on anything. Norma

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

This is the first year I have found lots of hosta and clematis seedlings here. I can imagine if we were neighbors! She'd have hellebores, pulmonaria, mertensia, primulas, etc...from the farm. :)

• chelone
    14 years ago

Just getting to the "blank slate" stage requires a lot of effort, doesn't it? Count me in as another in the chorus who loves that the project has been a "family affair".

It's going to be great fun to watch it evolve and fill in. Nice work!

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Wonderful transformation Eden-isn't it fun to see the offspring show an interest in the garden ?

Kathy in Napa

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Oh, it looks great. Thanks for updating us, and letting us come along on the journey. Bella looks so proud of herself standing on that rock. I remember when you were digging out all that ivy...I bet you're glad that job is done.

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Eden, don't you love those family projects? It is so nice that everyone pitched in together. Now that you guys have your technique down, you will have to come a couple hours south and dig out the bed of ivy out of my side driveway. It has to be 50 years old:)

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I think that the last picture with Bella sums it up nicely! LOL...she sure likes to ham it up for the camera, doesn't she? Her cousin Kate looks relaxed in her swing - what a perfect place for baby.

I can't wait to see what changes come next in this garden.....

Saucy