Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

This Morning in the Flats

gardenbug
13 years ago

The long view with the creek on the left. The creek side is slower to grow up in spring.

{{gwi:158114}}

Some different areas as I walk along...

{{gwi:158115}}

{{gwi:158116}}

{{gwi:158117}}

{{gwi:158118}}

{{gwi:158119}}

And back near the house, Clematis Markham's Pink in bloom on the gate post.

{{gwi:158120}}

Comments (9)

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Oh, I love these! Everything is looking so wonderful.

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Omigosh, 'bug. I think "the flats" are are bigger than all my gardens. Space envy! Is that a berm you made or just the natural slope of the land? How beautiful, and all those lovely hosta...and who might that happy looking plant with the pink flowers be?

I'll have to come back to look more intently when time allows.

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Bug these are great. I love the variety of plants you have and I can see why you need help maintaining all of that. I also see why you always have a spot for new plants. Very Pretty!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

The two things I think of when I think of your garden is that bed and the vegetable garden with the clematises on the fence and arbour. Both are such wonderful compositions!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Space envy??? More to weed and more to repair after flooding! You just can't maintain a large property in the same way as a city one, and have to adjust your tolerance for the wild look.

What looks like a berm on the right side is the end of what used to be a small corn field. The farm equipment dumped all the rocks over the edge and left the mess there. They put in some drainage tile too, so there are place where water gushes in the spring. It was mostly weeds when I moved here, but once I hauled out most of it, bloodroot and native anemones were also growing there. Fun!

I usually have a spot for something new because something either dies off over the winter or the spring thaw washes a few things away. It is quite shady in this area.

There are other areas of course, so no shortage of work: vegetable & clematis garden, barn gardens, yellow & blue garden, two front-of-house gardens, patio and hellebore garden, four island beds too. I'm getting old for this. Just the other day my garden helper who comes rarely scolded me for not working at things more thoroughly.... :( And my magnificent tree man has retired! The nerve!!

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Glorious, just glorious, 'bug - you are lucky to see such beauty on a daily basis.

-cindy

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Absolutely spectacular!!!!! what a wonderful spring show Bug. Love it!

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Just lovely 'bug ! Swooning over the sight of the emerging pristine Hosta foliage and wonderful bed beneath the trees.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    13 years ago

So, so pretty! and you capture it so nicely.

(wish the Compound looked so well groomed!)

I echo Kathy... if I don't get busy with the Sluggo I'll have no one to blame for patchwork foliage but myself. :)