Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Last of the Idylls

Posted by gardenbug Canada zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 11:01

I suspect with spring garden activity, Facebook, and busy lives we will not be seeing our old friends and families here. The days of shared pets, art work, bird photography, travel, home renovations, local history, family life & wildlife and so much more (fart machines, bum shots....) appear to have ended.

I would hope that periodically we might see photos of Idyllunion trips or a word or two from voices from the past. Perhaps in winter there will be more time for this? I would love to see some garden updates, before and afters, if you are creating something exciting in YOUR gardens.

Drop by now and again if you have fond memories of days of yore.
'bug

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Last of the Idylls

I too do hope there will still be some Idyll traffic through here...

The excitement in the garden here this spring is that the 5 yr. old Japanese wisteria is getting ready to bloom for the first time! So both should be putting on a nice show it 7-10 days or so. We held our breath a lot through some frosty nights but everything came through fine.

I've been doing some remedial work on my brick edging in the front garden - some of the bricks had sunk so I'm lifting them, adding more base material, and reseting them. I've been making note of where I need to add some more plants to cover some bare ground that is attracting too many weeds. So some shopping expeditions will be coming up in the near future!

How's Music, the colt, doing - still doing well I hope...?

o

This is the latest:

Update on the colt:

He's started eating way more (3 cups at a time instead of 1 cup), is growing like a weed, very energetic, and just learned how to drink out of a bucket (which makes feeding WAY easier)! He's still not out of the woods yet and has a big bump on his neck next to where he had a large cut, so they are keeping an eye on him. He's acting healthy, though, so they aren't very worried.

They've decide to name him Music.

o

• Posted by jak1 4 Ontario Can (My Page) on
    Sat, May 12, 12 at 9:07

I fear FB has all but done us in. I have been reluctant to post for about two weeks as my laptop has been hacked at least three times, and all of my contacts are being bombarded with messages not from me.

I have been trying to be busy in the garden but the weather has not really cooperated. If it is warm enough, it is raining, and if not raining the wind is ferocious. I finally put my plants outside in protected places or with large pots over them because the inside of my house needs some cleaning and rearranging. I know now why there is such a thingas Spring Cleaning: when the sun gets brighter and the days longer, all the dirt and dust shows up more!

Woody, I have to redo a few bricks too, but I will wait a bit until my "growing" garden chores are done. I planted a Chinese Wisteria here last month; still no signs of growth but I am hopeful!

Marie, I loved your phots of the kids and your travel posts. I just bet you were tired when you got home! Has DS gone back to Haiti to do more good works now?? And how is Sarah doing - a new baby this summer, yes? I have been remiss, but will try to do better.

Cheers, my friends!

Julie

o

:-( ...but, There are Idylls I 'see' every day; Sue, Monique , Brenda, Saucy , V, Deanne, Eden,Babs, Marian. We see Sunny D, Michelle,Cindy, Julie, Cynthia (and Cynthia 2) ...am I missing anyone ?
Idyll Union continues, and the bonds of these friendships we have made are stong. You are sure to see me here on occasion.

Hugs to all..

Kathy in Napa

o

Hey ladies!!! Woody, I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering of your Japanese wisteria was getting ready to bloom. So glad to hear it is. That's wonderful. Patience is rewarded. The sad news about mine is the terrible October snowstorm pretty much destroyed about half of it and the half that is left is a mess so I'll have to prune it back almost to the trunk. So goes gardening!

Cheers
Deanne

o

Yes, there is a flurry of spring activity! The Goddess Garden has really come together this year. I'm going to add a photo (if I can remember how!).

I think of you every day, especially when I'm in the garden. You are such dear friends. You truly are.

Saucy

o

I don't have time right now to post but just HAVE TO say hi to Deanne and lament the trauma to your wisteria! (I bet your neighbor never noticed either...)

Saucy, I'm blown away by the Goddess Garden! Belongs on the cover of Fine Gardening, except it deserves to be kept private and personal. Enchanting!!!

More later....
'bug

o

Kathy - I just can't get my head around the lack of privacy on FB, so I'm unlikely to wander over there. From what I've read about FB, even setting the privacy setting high does not help much. Your privacy is only as good as the weakest setting of your 'friends' and FB apparently has a habit of over-riding things and releasing stuff you wouldn't agree to release. Apparently some techy folks have shown that your specific location can be determined quite easily with something like 80% accuracy! So I find it a bit ironic that the Idylls have migrated there when, a few years ago, GW was the preferred site since it was less public than most.

Deanne - sorry to hear about the damage to your wisteria! We had no significant snowfalls here this year - VERY odd winter! I think the most snow we got at one time was about 4" that lasted less than 3 days. At the moment, both wisterias have their flower racemes starting to expand down so I think one of both of them may be in bloom by the weekend.

Saucy - the Goddess Garden is looking fantastic! Post some more pictures the next time you wander by...

gb - those white shooting stars you gave me the other year are doing well and blooming nicely out there at the moment.

o

You're right Woody, the privacy can be a bit leaky at times, and in retrospect I wish I had set up my account useing an assumed name of some sort. I still may do so in the future.

Spring is in full regailia here !

Kathy in Napa

o

A good day in the garden here. A little more each day... I'm enjoying the Camassia and other Spring blooms.

Early clematis are blooming.
Markham's Pink:

Miss Phoebe and Minou spent an hour at the vet's this morning and all is well. Phoebe was mainly interested in the exit...while Minou enjoyed a snooze on the scale...!

Glad the shooting stars are liking your garden Woody!
'bug

o

Brrrrrrrrrrr. Frost last night. Sunny though, so I'll be able to get some work done out there later today.

Picked up a few plants yesterday but will wait another week to plant things out. I'm eager to get some vegetables in the ground.

It was nice to finally plant some larger items this week: a white lilac, a parrotia, a cornus kousa, a climbing hydrangea.

The indoors has been neglected...typical spring behavior on my part!

o

The indoors has been neglected...typical spring behavior on my part!

LOL Bug, that is true for me too.
Your Camassia is pretty.

I have been neglecting that trip to the vet also.

No frost here last night but it got pretty chilly in the stadium seats at Jacob's high school graduation.

The gardens are getting a good deal of neglect this year too, at first I just didn't have the desire and then we have just been super busy with other matters. Thank goodness for the perennials that keep on giving. I must say some of the things like clems and shrubs have been performing better than usual this year. I think it was that month of really nice weather in March that got them off to a good start.
We are getting a bit dry now. Hoping for some rain this weekend. I started dragging hoses yesterday.

Oops! need to go feed The animals I am getting barked meowed and neighed at. And Bob is making noises too.

Norma
Norma

o

Fri, May 18, 12 at 9:07

Hi all! Well, I think the flu that has plagued (haha, pun intended) my family is gone at last. Also, our computer has been hacked so many times in the last three weeks, that MSN has cut us off, and try as I might, following directions to the best of my ability, I cannot get us unblocked. If you happen to get any e-mails from me, leave 'em alone. I will indicate in the subject line if it is from a safe source. We are now starting a different e-mail account. *sigh* I think all of my address book has been wiped out. It's just like losing the hard copy little black book we used to have for phone numbers. So much for technology *LOL*

My gardens look pretty good this year, probably due to the fact that I dug nearly everything up last year, split perennials, replanted where I wanted them (although that was then and this is now.....) and then mulched like crazy right into the cold weather. All of my clems are also doing fabulously, although the Etoile Violet on the front pillar is already a thug and I have to get it under control somehow or we won't be getting into the house by next week.

House isn't in too bad shape either, because I was "confined" to the house, near the washroom, for a few days so managed to do a bit every day. And because I didn't feel well, DH got the laudry caught up after the Mother's Day Onslaught, so I am feeling good about this day. Everything I had indoors is now out, and most are fine. Another season underway!!

I too have been a little neglectful of my doggies. Today I think I will clip nails and give baths, and make the vet appointment for the shots etc. I do manage to throw toys for them in the yard every day.

Wednesday was dentist day: the score was Dentist, one, Grandson, one. The teeth got cleaned and flossed, but there was no way for the flouride treatment. Dentist lost it and walked out. Looking for sedation dentistry now. Life is full of surprises.....

Looks like a lovely day out there: I'm off to WALAT!

Cheers,

Julie

o

Oh Julie, dentists and doctors must have such a hard time! My sister bit her dentist as I recall. His name was Doctor Root!You asked about DS. He's in Jamaica doing work there for a little while. Then off to visit a friend in a special area of Madagascar! He should get back to Haiti on and off in the times to come. As for DD, they are off camping. Struggles with DSIL's ex are worse than ever. She's so miserable. Wish she'd figure out how to create some joy in her life.

Saturday we attended a very nice plant sale. I picked up a few small things like Angelica gigas, some 2 year old Redbud trees, a dark Jacob's Ladder plant, and a few other things. DH even enjoyed the event as there was nice chat and iced tea served as well.

Today we celebrated Queen Victoria's birthday here in Canada. I weeded and watered, read a book, made meals and waited for the promised thunderstorm. But -no rain at all so far. We also needed to repair several holes in the garden fence where huge rabbits were getting in.

Next week we need to repair a board on our bridge. There always seems to be one that is weak. Then a board fell off our barn in a wind storm a while back and I think we need to replace several. Always something!

The birds make such amazing sounds these days!
CHIRP!
'bug

Clematis Dawn

o

Julie - the floride bit is gross! I don't blame your GS for objecting :-)

gb - that's a beautiful clematis - I'll have to look for that one and find a place to plant it for Misty (and Phoebe)'s buddy Dawn! :-)

A good and bad year here for wisteria this year... The Japanese one (planted August 2007) is blooming nicely for the first time; the Chinese one is disappointing. There are a couple of likely reasons for that - the 12-18" we took off the top this spring to shorten it to make it easier to prune removed a fair bit of flowering wood; I supect one or more of the frosts in early May damaged/killed buds; the unusually warm and dry winter, warm March, cold April and early May confused things a lot I think. The leaves are much, much further developed than usual so are obscuring the flowers. The flowering usually peaks somewhere around the 24-25 of May so maybe there's still some hope for a better show... Here's what things looked like this evening:

Both of them (from what I had read and seen locally, I expected the Japanese one to bloom later than the Chinese one but it started blooming first!):
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

A closer look at the Japanese one:

A closer look at the Chinese one - more flowers are visible in the (east) side-on view here than in the first picture which is looking down from the north.

Compared to these pictures, the Chinese one is definitely having an off year!

May 16, 2010:

May 31 2011 (compare how few leaves there are in this picture vs. the current state of things!):

o

Tue, May 22, 12 at 8:57

Hello folks. I am at DD's still painting the frou frou trim. I am determined to get my part done before I head home again as I don't want to be away from my own place at this amazing time of year. I will paint all day today and all day tomorrow. DD is working her twelve hour shifts so I am doing it on my own.

Gee Marie, your clems are always so beautiful! My Josephine is fully budded now and a few random buds appear on some others, but I don't get full bloom until a little later than you do.

I planted a bare root Chinese Wisteria this spring. When I last looked, it still was a witches walking stick *LOL*

While sitting on my daughter's deck yesterday it occurred to me that her large beautiful maple is dead. It was robust last year. I always thought bigger trees died off slowly, but hers was here last year and gone this. No idea what happened, but another expense for her at a time when she really can't afford much. Another reason I am trying to get the painting dome quickly - she could use a little mood brightener.

I will be glad when school is over. I have lots of good intentions to work with TCS to make sure he is completely ready for
grade six. He does o.k. academically, but I want him to feel ready. Six is the highest grade in his school. He is occassionally oppositional at school and sits out classes, especially in French, because he simply refuses to participate. He confessed to me that he hadn't learned French well in the early grades and now doesn't understand what the teacher is talking about. Now I understand why he dislikes the subject. I think it will be a struggle, but we will try to help him get caught up. We are thinking of going to Montreal or Quebec City for a few days as well, just to let him sort of get the feel of the language. He is getting marginally more interested in sports, playing street hockey and shooting baskets, swimming in our pool etc. I think part of his earlier reluctance on this front was due to the meds he was on. We have removed him from all but one and he is on a dose tyypical of that for little children, just to kind of take the edge off his behaviour. I am toying with removing that one for the summer too, to see if the sweet person I know him to be becomes more evident. All in all though, he is doing well and so are we.

I was surprised to see on FB that my DH found and bought two huge flats of Portulaca yesterday, his favourite flower. It is hard to find here, and my seed sowing efforts this year were dismal. Something to look forward too when I get home!

I hope we can keep this dialogue going - I enjoy it!

Cheers,

Julie

o

HI Julie, hope your painting is drawing to a close! It is always such a treat to have things freshly painted! (It has been 15 years now since our place was painted...except for a few areas I did myself.)

Working with TCS is a noble goal. I think showing him what another language is all about is the way to go. When I taught French (decades ago) many of the kids, boys especially, had no idea that others couldn't understand English at all. Once they started playing major hockey and traveled to Quebec for tournaments, boy did that change! They really wanted to know what the others were saying! Even the girls needed to be shown. Many had a grandparent who lived with them but who spoke mostly Italian or Polish. I asked them if they spoke to them about their lives and they said no, they didn't know how to speak to them and were embarrassed by them. How really sad!!! So even if TCS never becomes an advanced language student, I feel strongly that he understand what a foreign language is all about and that much of the world, even in this computer age, does not speak a word of his language.

I've been weeding and weeding...and weeding some more lately. Here are a few shots from the farm.

Path down to the "flats area. We call it the Bloodroot Trail.

The yellow/Blue garden

Off to weed a bit before breakfast.
'bug

o

We had an unusual day at Dog Guides this week - groomed 7 dogs, only one of which was a poodle! Poodles usually dominate in the group we work with. This week though we had 3 Black Labs, a Black Lab x ? (it looked like a Great Dane had snuck into the breeding line!), a big Yellow Lab, a Golden, and a very nice creamy poodle.

This is a picture of some of the service-dogs-in-training in their play area:

Sunday there is the charity fund-raiser walk. Randy will be taking Dexter, his brother's big Airedale, on the walk. Misty would go nuts will all the other dogs around, plus she's 15 now and can't walk 5 kilometers. Randy has raised about $2000, so he's done pretty well.

A couple of days ago Randy went for a walk with Misty's buddy Zoe and her 'dad'. Zoe is a big dog and likes BIG sticks:
But sometime BIG is just too big!:

gb - that looks like a lot of work indeed! But the results are worth it....! Yesterday we ripped out the very vigorous honeysuckle on the iron arbour. I'm going to try to replace it with Emerald Gaitey euonymus grown as a vine, with a white clematis growing trough it for flowers. I hope it works our nicely, but it'll take a few years for the euonymus to get tall.

o

Still bone dry here and HOT! Somehow the rain has avoided us completely yet poured in nearby communities. Sigh. Too hot to be out there weeding and planting, though it is needed!

My book for Book Club has arrived at last, so perhaps I'll relax and read.

This morning's errands are completed: mailings for Haiti, garbage to dump, gas etc.

A few flowers...
Dictamnus

Clematis Cassis

Poppy

Take a look at this link!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Park (watering nightmare!)

o

Hola Friends ! Hope to peruse the great photos here at my leisure tomorrow..for now I wanted to share a link to Sues blog. I know you will enjoy !

Here is a link that might be useful: Idyll Haven

o

Hello gardenbug and other idyll people! Was just popping through and the title of the post caught my eyes. Hopefully it isn't the last of the idylls. Hope you all are well!

I'm on Facebook and blogging about my California garden and design business if you want to say hi.

Here is a link that might be useful: ci's blog

o

Oh goody...two new blogs for me to follow!!!
Hi Sue!
Hi Kaveh!
Lots of reading for me tonight....

Today I garden, get a haircut, etc etc...
Still very dry and weedy here...but much cooler. YEAH!

o

Wed, May 30, 12 at 10:00

Hi all!

I agree, Bug, two new blogs, Yay!

Lots to do here today after yesterday's storm. And the grass grew about a foot after all of the rain. Rain again tomorrow - look for me here.

BTW if anybody has noticed, our e-mail account has been hacked so many times that MSN has cancelled it. If you would like to e-mail me, um, I can think of a way without posting our new account.

Cheers,

Julie

o

Julie - you got rain...?! Lucky you!! We've had barely 1/2" this month, and things are desperate out there! The forecast says rain for Friday, but I'll believe it when I see it...! We've got a bunch of things waiting to be planted; we're trying to keep them alive in pots until it looks like they might have a chance in the ground. Tomorrow is supposed to be cool so, if the radar and satellite look like we may actually get rain on Friday, we'll probably take a chance and plant them.

Sunday was the charity walk for Dog Guides. Randy did the walk with Dexter (his brother's Airedale). Barb and I went to take pictures and play with beasties :-) It was a fun day for everyone. The weather was a great mix of sun and cloud and not too hot. Randy raised $2070; the total raised on the walk in our town (there are about 250 Walks across Canada) was $44,000, so he was a significant fundraiser! He won a jacket as a top fundraiser. Barb entered Dexter in the 'Best tail-wagger' event after the walk - they won! Some pictures:

Randy quenching Dexter's thirst during the walk:

ditto at the end of the walkK

The Champion Tail-wagger and his handler:

Today was our volunteer day at Dog Guides this week. A new crop of dogs have been arriving over the past two weeks to start training. This group seems to dominated by Labs and bigger dogs. We only groomed one poodle today; all the rest were Black or Yellow Labs.

Looks like some interesting blog-reading to be done later...

o

I've so enjoyed catching up with Sue this evening. A wonderful combination of plants, pets, food and travel. WOW! I gained weight just looking at the edibles in the photos. Slurp! I've resisted all those tropical show stoppers (and work) that make her gardens POP. I don't have the energy to mulch ten acres, though I'd love it to be done. I have many trees that I'd love to pay to have removed...and replaced. You are one grand lady!!! And that quilt! My goodness. How fabu to be appreciated and recognized in such a loving way. I'd love to be a part of this summer's gathering, but it just isn't going to happen this year.

Kaveh, it was also grand catching up with your activities! I really enjoy your Cool Plant of the Week feature. Then there is the running theme of birds, cats and critters. I'm glad they are included...even though the can be destructive. But so can mother nature.

That glowing photo of Cotinus "Golden Spirit" makes me think of Monique's garden where you astonished me with a surprise meeting years ago! My Golden Spirit struggles every spring to recover from winter. It has a Clematis Buckland Beauty that is supposed to weave through it, but which is presently towering above it!

I loved seeing your work at Cambria Nursery with Gabe and am eager to see an update! And then your photos about the Eucalyptus that are "nightmarishly messy trees" reminded me of Sue's sycamores....

California is foreign plant territory for me but certainly Sedum "coppertone" and Kalanchoe orgyalis "Copper Spoons" would be welcome here. I'd have fun situating those! And then the ocean view with succulents...Perfecto!

Keep up the good work Kaveh, and do keep in touch!

Here's what "east coast" looks like here today:

o

But wait ! there's more !...

Here is a link that might be useful: more Idyll bloging

o

It's raining! 1" so far - much needed moisture!! We planted everything in the pot ghetto yesterday and moved a couple of things. The soil was dry as a bone at the bottom of >1' deep holes.... We could use at least another inch or two but the rain isn't as heavy now so I expect we might only get another 1/2" at most. I sure hope this rain bodes well for moisture in June!

o

YES to rain!!! But NO to the wind that came with it. Next on my agenda will be staking peonies and delphiniums which are presently lying spread-eagled on the ground everywhere. Also raking up branches all over. I'm hoping for a few dry moments tomorrow to do some of this. I also hope to cook up some rhubarb chutney.

Yesterday we collected the 14' x 3" board to repair our bridge. After dinner (anniversary night out - in my car) we managed to drop said board on DH's foot while removing it from his car. Imagine this board being driven home in a Honda Fit....OYYY. After icing the foot, all seems well today, thank goodness. But how to manoeuver this lumber into place will require great skill and much man-power!

Monday I'm off to party in Toronto at my friend's "FULL MOON AND FABULOUS SHOES PARTY". This promises to be quite the event...and so I'm preparing for it with a pedicure and manicure to destroy all evidence of garden fingernail syndrome. I found my shoes nearby for $9: flip-flops with bows! They match my t-shirt with flip-flops on it. I'll probably go with ny left-over green nail polish from Idyllunions of years gone by.

'bug

o

Rain and wind here today too. The 30mm. (so far) of rain is welcome. The wind was not! Look at my poor Japanese wisteria!!
The support pole broke off at ground level. The trunk looks intact but we're not sure if we can figure out a way to get it upright and supported again.

GB - out re the foot accident! Hopefully the rest of the repair activity will go smoothly - and safely.

o

Oh NO!
Good luck to your ingenious husband!

o

Sue, Kaveh, Deanne and others have a lot to answer for.... LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: GB's world

o

Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 11:36

Cold and lots of rain here too. The rain was much needed. It absolutely poured all night, and we don't expect things to clear up till Monday. I had a call this morning from a stranger with a flooded basement - the company that fixed our leak a couple of years ago had given our name as a reference. We have no leak issues now and I was happy to recommend the company. As I told the caller, "Quick, cheap, good, pick two. They were quick and good...."

I have been trying for two days to post pictures from Photobucket. My frustration level with this is at an all time high. Ugh!

I am sorry to see your wisteria lying on the ground like that Woody! I am sure that Randy will come up with some interesting and attractive idea!

Quiet day today, due to the weather. I am once again going to try the pics

Cheers,

Julie

o

Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 11:58

I want to show you my Spring garden in the back yard with the finials on the posts. They are curtain rod ends bought at a garage sale for $1:00!

and Josephine, my favourite clematis:

and the expansion of my front garden (see the bricks with the black plastic edging Woody?)

and last but not least: bedtime

Cheers,

Julie

o

What happened to his red hair???? He's a blonde now!

Neat curtain rod ends! Five stars for creativity!

o

Great finials Julie! How did you attach them? The brick job looks good too. Kid+dog both look very content :-)

We stopped at one of my favorite garden centers on the way home from Toronto this afternoon. Hannah does a lot of garden installation work so has a lot of good supplies of useful things. We got two angle iron-type posts with a sort of trillium profile (i.e. three equally spaced pieces joined at the center) that we will sink into the ground on either side of the wisteria tomorrow to be support for it. I just came up from the basement where I painted the posts the same 'Bonsai' dark olive green that we used on the shed trim. It would have been great if the posts were 8' tall, but she only had 6' ones. I think we came manage with only 4' once the posts are sunk into the ground since the wisteria trunk was only about that tall. The head of the tree won't have support but I think it should be OK.

Gotta run; I'll be back later....

o

Busy afternoon here today rescuing the downed Japanese wisteria.

Starting work:

Getting it upright:

Back on its feet:

The rescue was a combined effort of merging ideas from both Randy and me, help from a neighbour to hold the stepladder when Rawdy was pounding in the metal posts, and the ever-valuable bungee cords :-) We still need to add some tie-rods to join the post securely; the ones we got today turned out to be a little too wide in diameter so we'll get smaller ones tomorrow. It doesn't look like there was too much damage to the tree so we're keeping our fingers crossed that it will be OK.

gb - when you posted a picture a few years agvo of your fringetree, I fell in love with it and bought one too. It seems to start blooming a few days after yours does. We're very happy with it; it fits our green-and-white themed backyard perfectly!

o

Woody, I love the fact that fringe trees bloom even when very young!

So glad the tree is upright...and HAPPY!

Things are too soggy to deal with in our garden. What a mess! So...it will have to wait until Wednesday when I return from Toronto. I'm sure it will take forever to tidy up. My friend Kaveh says that if a support is visible, remove it and try again. That just won't be possible in this emergency situation. Roses and delphiniums are like doughnuts with holes in their centers...or even just plain flat pancakes. Le sigh!
'bug

o

Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 8:59

Good Morning - albeit a cold and soggy one here. It has rained since Friday and clearing is not forecast until next Friday. And it is really pretty cool also, down to 9C at night and up to about 15C during the day. I turned the furnace back on :(

DH is very clever about stuff like attaching finials! He inserted a piece of dowel into the shaft, cut it flush, and then screwed through the post caps into the dowels to secure the finials. Cool eh??

How hardy are Fringe trees? (as if I had any more real estate).

I enjoyed looking at Sue's blog this morning. I will be checking out Kaveh's today too. Nice to see old friends!

Today is DH's birthday so he will be the one determining what gets done today!

Cheers,

Julie

o

Julie, you can also check out the site below.

Just back from fun times in Toronto. More later.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog by bug

o

Started today by weeding at 6:30am until it got too warm.

I've discovered that spontaneous garden tours are loads of fun this week...and way less stress for the garden owner.

Went to a quilt show in town this afternoon. It was very well organized in a local church with lots of fun things to see.

We are once again cat sitting for a friend for 3 weeks. DH leaves for a visit with DD next week while I catch up with things on the home front.

Happy weekend everybody!
'bug

o

Gardening has hit a snag here! Wednesday morning Randy was digging out a purple coneflower for me and something in his back 'went pop'! I couldn't talk him into getting an x-ray but he did go see a chiropractor. She said it was a muscle injury that will heal with time and told him to apply cold for the first 24 hours and heat after that. When he's functional again, he needs to do some abdominal strengthening exercises. He's a bit better today but bending down is outside his range-of-motion still!

Blue is coming tomorrow for a few days. He's going to have to make do with the backyard I think because I'm not sure it'd be wise for Randy to walk him (which doesn't mean Randy won't try to...!)

So, GB - did you visit someone's garden or did someone visit yours? The local garden tour here is next weekend - earlier than usual. We need to get tickets!

o

Woody, it has been a bit of both. Several people dropped by here - totally unplanned - and I visited two other gardens in town after seeing the quilt show together.

POOR RANDY! I've been there...and it was a low point in my life. Time and exercise (once things improve) are the only things that helped me. (and firing the stupid back "expert" from Toronto) I certainly move differently since then. I hope he is careful and cautious in the future. So unfair though. He gets lots of exercise! Get better SOON!

o

Love your fence post finials Julie ! Your garden is looking lovely..though we might need a photo of the wine deck.I went on the GC Open Gardens on the coast this weekend, and happy to report that there wasn't a single dud in the gardens, though there was one that had fine bones, great structures and a wholly uninspired plant palette. I fear I've become a garden snob--all I could see there was unrealized potential.If I have some time this week I wil put up a separate thread with a few photos from the gardens.

Hooray for Randy and the Wisteria, boo for Randy and the back injury !

Kathy in Napa

o

Wordless Wednesday

o

Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 9:46

Oh WOW Bug: that is gorgeous!

I have had TCS home sick with the dreaded Man Cold for five days. Drove me nuts, although clearly not his fault. Today he seems to be finally on the mend and has gone to school, so it's out to the garden for me. The weather here is absolutely beautiful just now, after days of searing heat and deluges of rain. Everything is growing like gangbusters.

Good for Randy to rescue the Wisteria! But his poor back - and not fun for you Woody - I have been there with my DH as well.

My Wisteria had a tiny green bud on it last week and after the heat and rain is growing several inches every day. I hope I can keep it alive in my climate - there are two in town though, and both blooming so I am somewhat confident.

My front garden is home to Flopsy, Mopsy and Peter, so all of my seedlings and much new growth in the tiny perennials I purchased are pruned beyond saving. *sigh* Last year was the first year the deer didn't trim because our rear yard fence disrupted their trail and they detoured through the park. Can't win for trying!

The park itself is gorgeous this year. The town hired three gentlemen who were laid off from Parks Canada to take care of public spaces this year, instead of students. I know the students tried hard and certainly need the jobs, but these Parks Canada guys are pros for sure and the entire subdivision is talking about the fabulous care of the park. Also, the students didn't start until the end of June so you can imagine how neglected the place looked by then. The Parks Canada men were available in March. As I look out on the Park from most of my windows, I am especially pleased. Called the Town Hall and told them so. It is just a easy to pick up the phone to say something nice as it is to complain!

I've rambled on a lot, so I better get going on my day!

Cheers, guys!

Julie

o

Julie - smart move by your town re the Parks guys!!

o

Father's Day! And the father is off in Alberta visiting the daughter and her family.

I have managed to get things more under control in the gardens. We've had a bit of rain which is a relief. Next week is likely to be super hot and humid...in the 90F range.(33 C)

The clematis are amazing, as are the roses. We had fireflies in the evenings too! I need to make up more rhubarb, but not sure what do do with it all. Any ideas out there?

Today is Reed's birthday. Here's how his memory garden looks now.

I weeded and mowed a patch in our tiny woods and one again located the old bench I had made there

And here are but a few (ha!) of the clematis in bloom now.
Aotearoa

Maria Corelia (young)

Viola

Blue Pirouette

Hagelby Pink

Madame Julia Correvon

That's surely enough!
'bug

o

Yesterday was the local garden tour - very disappointing....! There were only 6 gardens on the tour and none of them were particularly interesting - I didn't take any pictures at all! Last year's tour was cancelled (we went on the tour of the town to the west of us last year...) because they couldn't get enough gardens signed up for it - it appears the interest in gardens in this town is declining!!

It's supposed to be horribly hot here too this week gb. I desperately need to do some deadheading, but I don't function well in the heat.

Your clematis look fabulous as usual gb. Mine have been doing OK but some definitely were not happy with the dry winter and spring. I think I may lose The President on the front porch - it stuggled last year due to drought - and snails! - and it's barely hanging on at the moment. Ditto Vyvyan Pennell. The Henryi that I've been trying to grow into the Chinese wisteria for the past couple of years is putting out a reasonable number of flowers this year. It's not an all-over bloom but patches in several spots - like this:

I can't remember which pale blue clematis I planted to grow into the Angel roses. It started blooming a few days ago - unfortunately the roses are finishing their first flush of flowers...

I like this Peachy Cream OSO Easy rose that is next to the Angel roses:

I really like the Piilu clematis that I planted in the driveway border to grow through a hydrangea. It did a nice double bloom just a week or two ago and now it's mostly singles:

The front bed is starting to look like it has crossed the line from maturing to overgrown! Editing-out is called for this fall I think :-)

o

Looking fine to me Woody!

This is certainly the time of year when the gardens transition to "lush". It is a completely different mind set. I keep thinking I should have lovely mulched spaces between my plants, yet in reality, things are a jumble. "Lush" is just a kinder way of phrasing it... or maybe "the cottage garden look". But there are still surprises with new things blooming. I wonder what will be left to bloom come Fall!

o

There was a threat of thunderstorms and wind in late afternoon, so I sent Randy out to get some photos of the clematises that are likely going to get whipped around a lot! [Update - the first band of storms passed us by without a drop of rain, but it looks like we're getting some much-needed rain now...]

The clematises on the iron obelisk in the front bed are starting to put on a nice show. I finally seem to have a decent Huldine - I think it's the one that has climbed all the way to the top and has lots of buds but only a few flowers at this point. I have to check my records to see what the others might be!

Obelisk viewed through the iron arbour:

Obelisk with the copper and wood tripod in the background:

Closer view of the obelisk clematises:

The clematises on the south gate arbour are also doing well...

The front and top of the arbour (Randy was on the stepladder to take this picture):

A closer view of the top:

The back of the arbour (where the swag joins on):

The swag clematises are a mixed-bag in terms of performance this year. Comtesse de Bouchard wilted and the ones on the fence side (shadier side) are quite spindly. The ones on the house side are stronger but are clearly going to need a few more years to bulk up, so I haven't taken many pictures.

o

Nice job Randy on capturing the colours! I have a hard time with the rich blues and purples. I'm so glad that Huldine is a success!

We did get a few short storms...and a lovely rainbow at dinner time too. I'm hoping our clematis will perk up today when things dry a bit.

Phoebe is in desperate need of a haircut. At least the temperatures have cooled a good bit!

Enjoy your gardens!

o

What a strange day it is today! Cool and windy...like September!
I felt the need for a big Julie Job, namely cleaning out the garage. Well actually, I basically threw away bags and bags of stuff. (quickly before DH returns from his trip tomorrow!) I think it is basically at the stage where DH needs to throw away his stuff now! Gone are old soakers hoses, plant tray covers, burlap (one had a dead squirrel in it even) mangled chicken wire, and so forth. It is sartisfying to be rid of the stuff. Tomorrow I'll be at the dump twice at least. The first trip will contain 6 large bags of stuff, folded cardboard boxes and an old plastic sled. The second trip will have more plastic bags, cat litter, and a dozen or more plastic cat litter jugs for recycling. Man, I LOVE throwing things away!

I hope tomorrow I can finish planting the shade plants that have been sitting on the garage floor! I weeded an odd area under some trees this morning where I then planted two hellebores and a nice fern. I hope they enjoy their new home!

Made an appointment for Ms Phoebe for next week. She'll be happy with a new haircut...if not with the process.

Off to prepare for Book Club tonight. This time it will be for snacks rather than dinner, so I'd better eat before I go.
Ciao!
'bug

o

July 1 will be Canada Day. Already we see flags popping up in people's gardens. The weather is HOT, in the 90F and higher range.

We replaced an apple tree that was not doing well. The nursery people warned that customers were OVER watering their new plants and killing them. The over zealous are watering daily and drowning their new purchases. They suggested sticking to one thorough watering per week.

I'm not feeling creative in the kitchen. I've been eating lots of raw vegetables and fruits while DH was away, and now I've been buying vegetarian sushi and cold summer soups.

We had garden visitors the other night, which was quite fun because the roses and clematis are at their peak. He and his friend now understand what a clematis addict is like!

DH phoned early this morning on his way to work. He passed a perfectly awful multiple car accident and wanted me to know he was OK in case I heard about it. I'm left feeling worried and sad for all involved. Makes me very hesitant to be on the road after things like this. I'll have to get "back on the horse" though.

Fun to get photos of the kiddos from DH's camera!

This one is special to me because Ivy is wearing the little French dress that DD wore over 30 years ago.

o

I missed wishing our northern Idylls a happy Canada Day on Sunday, so a belated happy happy to all of you as we also celebrate today!

I am going to try to be better about checking in here because I have certainly missed everyone. I have been on FB, but I do agree with you, Woody, about the privacy thing and I don't post very often.

I read all the posts and loved the accompanying pictures. Wow-all the wee ones are certainly getting big, but they are as cute as ever even when sleeping!

Woody, hope Randy's back is all healed.

I have so many Julie Jobs to take care of today. Already hosed off the patio and deck, but the indoor jobs are demanding my attention. I let things go while school was in session and I have so much organizing to do now. The dining room table is completely covered with piles of books and papers. Ugh.

I will check back later, but I do wish we could continue the Idylls and the next thread should be "Not the Final Idyll after all". :)

Hope everyone is having a marvelous morning.

Cynthia

o

Every now and again I need to log in again. Such was the case today. Sigh.

We are melting away these days. Some of my clematis are wilting seriously. The lawn remains crunchy. Rain is but a daily failed promise... Keeping the ghetto plants watered is about as much outdoor work I am up to. DH and I broke down and went to town for ice cream sandwiches. He needed to mail a book, I needed a few kitchen items. It took all of 30 minutes and we're both wiped out.

Cynthia, you made it back! Good to see you here. Every horizontal surface at our house is covered with stuff. I wish it were only the dining room table! Yours is probably all spiffed up by now!

Later folks. Hang in there. And whatever you are drinking, add ice!
'bug

o

Hi Cynthia! Happy 4th to you... Were you affected by the big storm? Were any of the other Idylls affected? It certainly sounds like a very rough time - being without power for days in this heat would be beyond-words nasty!

Randy's back has recovered but it was a good warning to him to not assume he's invulnerable to physical problems!

gb - very cute kiddie pictures. I particularly like the 30-year-old fashion shot :-)

Interesting day at Dog Guides today. When Randy was returning one dog to the kennels, he saw an 'odd' dog that he had never seen before. It turned out to be a black and white parti-color poodle. Very pretty indeed. There are also two (rather rowdy!) flat-coated retrievers - a breed you don't see too often. I looked into them as a possible breed to consider back when Chelsea was getting old. Apparently the breed tends to have a fairly high cancer rate so that put me off of them. They are handsome dogs though - they rather look like a black Golden. I suspect the two at the training facility were donated by a breeder to test their suitability for this kind of work. Comparing them with the Labs, poodles, and Goldens from the regular breeding program, you can really see that Dog Guides has done a lot of work to breed in a steady temperment. These two are very rowdy in comparison and I wouldn't bet a lot of money that they will pass the program :-) They are nice dogs though and maybe they'll settle down as they get a bit older - they look like one of those breeds that need to be 3 years old before the brain catches up to the body so they stop being lunatics!

Terribly hot and humid here. Liam is visiting for two weeks and neither he or Misty are much interested in going outside during the day - me neither. Walkies happen before 8:00 a.m. and after 8 p.m.

The Chinese wisteria has been doing a fabulous summer bloom - which helps make up for its pathetic spring performance when the leaves emerged weeks early and hid the flowers. This isn't a very good picture - the flowers are about the same color intensity as the leaves so the camera doesn't pick them up well, even though the flowers are blue-ish, not green.
I need to remove the purple coneflowers that have seeded in under the wisteria on the left. I like the look of the heucheras ('Midnight Rose' I think) on the right, so will probably plant them on the left side too. The wisteria's summer bloom usually doesn't peak until late July, so it's a couple of weeks early.

The heptacodium is also looking like it's going to be early this year. It is visibly setting flowerheads now - it normally doesn't flower until late September when the Monarch butterflies are migrating. If it blooms too early, the Monarchs aren't going to be happy! But maybe the heptacodium will have a chance to display the colorful calyxes that usually don't make much of a show here because the heptacodium blooms so late. A very strange year in the garden...

We desperately need rain! We're 35% below our normal rainfall for April - the end of June and no rain in sight in the forecast :-(

o

Happy Thursday all! We have temps near 100 degrees F today and tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be over that. Ugh. Why is it that the weeds are flourishing-noticed today some in the back are nearing 4 feet. Really! Looks like I will need to turn on the sprinkler and weed while being 'rained' on.

Woody, we were lucky with last Friday's storms. We lost power for only 12 hours. John and Kelly lost theirs until late Sunday,so they and the wild one (Koda) spent Saturday and Sunday here. The truly irksome thing was that there was hardly any rain-all wind and lightning.

'bug and Woody, meant to ooh and aah over your gardens. I wish my vacation was split between spring and fall rather than during the heat of summer. I just get so lazy when it is hot, so mine looks awful. I have bought some shrubs to put down in the back near the fence. I have a Kollwitzia, two exochorda and two clethra and Chuck has dug the holes, but I need to get some soil to backfill the holes since we have so many river rocks-no, those rock piles all around the lower level of the yard do not mark where someone died on the trail. Also, since I will be away from the 10th-25th, I figured it is more likely that they will get watered while I am gone if they are in the pots and right next to the hose! Ha.

Am also ready to resort to nuclear weapons to get rid of the chipmunks. The entire part of the front walk near the door has collapsed due to their tunnels. I put the hose down several of the holes today to try to drive them out. Doubt it worked. They are resilient and invincible it seems. I wonder how deep their tunnels go.

Time to fix dinner or, more precisely, pour the Cheerios into the bowl and add fruit and milk. :)

Catch you all later. Hope it is cool and wet where you are.
Cynthia

o

Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 20:09

Hello my friends. I have been very occupied for a few weeks, but that is no excuse for not checking in. Today I red through this entire thread, and realized that I needed to post again.

First, DH's sister and her husband visited us for most of a week. I spent a couple of days making the inside and outside of the house presentable, then hosting, then a couple more days recuperating. I also dropped a large Jade tree that was in two pots, on my right hand two weeks ago. No fractures but still a bit sore and swollen now. And the drought! And the wind! I have dragged hoses around every single day for three weeks. Have already harvested the garlic, lost the spinach and romaine, and have mature carrots and beets already! Very strange year.

Because it has been so hot, many of my blooms have come and gone already. The grass is pretty crispy, and the holes the dogs have dug in the back lawn give it a homey feel *LOL*I have four birdbaths going and a small pond. All are visited almost hourly, birds, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, the local outdoor cats and sometimes even the dogs prefer the pond water. I think I will stop here nad open a new post so I can get some photos up without losing all that I have just typed!

Cheers for now!

Julie

o

We just got back from walking the dogs around the block. I thought I was going to pass out before we got home! Misty didn't look much better - neither of us function well in the heat.

o

Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 10:45

Lost our internet for a few hours last night. Weather is overcast, tiny sprinkles this morning, but still very hot and really really humid. I empathise, Woody! My doggies have had very little exercise this week.

Cheers, Julie

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 14:49

One of my attempts at leaf casting:

This was from a zucchini.

I am having a difficult time posting multiple photos so I may post several threads....

o

Water Water Water Water Water. Everything needs water. I'm still dragging long hoses to the hard-to-reach areas. No end in sight! Supposed to be in the 90s through next week.
My favorite people these days are Sandra and Monika who chat and garden with me. When I need someone to bounce ideas off of, they come up with good ones!

Lots of stuff going on to keep us busy: planning finances, Haiti friends in need, the kids, travel, etc. But tonight is a dinner meeting for DH and a garden tour with friends for me, so that should be great fun.

Is everyone panting in the heat? Drink lots of water!
'bug

o

We're back to HOT weather for the next few days, but at least we had a 15 minute rain shower yesterday. Probably not enough to make a difference to the farmers, but enough I think for me to take a day off from watering! Things still look like straw rather than grass or lawn, but at least you don't hear things crunch as you WALAT today.

DD in Alberta, on the other hand, had a huge hail storm that destroyed her vegetable gardens! That was her major effort over the past few months and is so disheartening! Their big willow needed immediate attention this weekend as well and DSIL removed big limbs. More may need to go soon.

We are preparing for a crane to arrive and remove our propane tank and replace it with a new one. I sure hope the damage won't be too severe! Those guys haven't a clue about my attachment to my garden!

Yesterday some of us bloggers recorded what is blooming in our gardens in mid July. Time consuming yes, but an interesting exercise. Fun to "visit" other gardens this way, especially if you are unable to travel with the Idylls this summer!

Happy mid July to one and all! That includes pets!
'bug

o

Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 9:50

In my composter: birdhouse gourds, growing just for fun!

Happily blooming in the Spite Fence garden

Wine deck window box (I have four of these!)

Trying my hand at a Brugmansia

Early harvest

And every boy needs an aunt to send a hammock chair from Mexico to help with hot day relaxation!

Cheers!

o

What a neat post Julie! Love all the orange, the variegation, the garlic and...three cheers for auntie!

o

Julie - that's a neat-looking Brug! How about a shot of the spite fence from a little distance so we can see how it's developing...?

GB - did your propane tank get replaced OK? I sure wouldn't want to be a worker messing around with explosive gases in the heat we've been having! The humidex high was 42C here yesterday!

Did you guys get any rain from the forecast thunderstorms yesterday? We got two flashes of lightening but no rain at all. Our total rainfall here so far in July has been vanishingly small - 1.5 mm.! Randy has been doing a fair bit of hand watering but we need a good two days of steady rain - not a thing in the forecast though but more heat and sunshine :-(

o

Our weather is identical to yours Woody. Only a light show, no rain, no tassels on the corn. Hot and ugly. Crunchy brown lawn.

The propane guys are useless. They brought the wrong tank, had no notes on the job. So the guy gave us an "inspection" for $150. Pretty stupid since we already knew the tank was hopeless. Oyyyy. Anyway, at 7:30 this morning a propane truck arrived to fill the new tank, the one we never got! So much for communication! I hope we get this done before winter...and also while i am home. I still have visions of destroyed plants and sinking vehicles...

Today I was interviewed by the local radio station on gardening. It went well, though of course we were all a bit nervous. We'll see how it goes once they splice it all together.

o

GB - neat re the radio interview! What did they ask about (besides the clematises :-) ?

At Dog Guides today I saw the parti-color poodle that Randy saw in the kennels a couple of weeks ago. From the picture he took that day I assumed it was a mid-sized poodle. It isn't - it is a big standard one! Gorgeous dog - nicknamed Oreo :-) The coloring reminds me of a black-and-white English setter although the black patches are larger near the head and at the hind end. It looked a fair bit like the one in the linked picture....

Here is a link that might be useful: standard parti-colored poodle

o

Cute b&w poodle! They are supposed to be smart, though the 2 standards I knew ran away often in downtown Toronto. They chewed a lot as puppies, but outgrew that.

On the show they asked me about etiquette at nurseries and private gardens...also about use of garden Latin...whether I was patient and able to wait for years to locate special plants...about plant shopping escapades with friends...and my favorite clematis. (I wasn't ready for that one!) Can't remember what else.

Still trying to water things...but certainly the grass is a lost cause.

o

Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 10:12

Hi fans! I keep checking in here to see who's around. I hope some of you still do too.

Cleaned a lot yesterday so I get a garden day today. Hot and dry again though. Going out to get a new battery for my camera later, but mostly staying close to home in the heat. Ajax has a dislocating knee, so he is officially on bed rest for a month. How does one keep a dog on bed rest *LOL*? One of my neighbours is in the hospital so a group of us has taken over her house and dog: walking him, playing, visiting the dog (my chore), running the dishwasher, cleaning the house, catching up her laundry (also my chore); spraying and knocking down wasp nests in her yard (DH's chore) and whatever else we can think of to make her homecoming pleasant. Sometimes the golden years aren't. I also planted a second crop of snow peas, spinach and lettuce last week - all is up and thriving so this year we'll have a second harvest in September/October. My gardens are doing pretty well, given the drought conditions, although the lawns are crsipy critters !

I hope you all are enjoying yhour summer! Wondering how you are all doing and what's new?

Cheers.

Julie

o

I'm here!
Expecting company any moment. Also have a friend staying with us for a week or so because he has tonsilitis and is miserable and lonely...
I'm packing bit by bit for my trip out west. Seems DS is coming here in September after moving out of his Boston apartment.
Grass here is brown and goes crunch crunch....
I'm studying which plants are the real survivors of the season. Gotta plan for more of the same in years to come!

Margaret Hunt

Later!
'bug

o

Hi Julie! I keep checking here too - but it's a downward spiral; once there aren't many posts it becomes hard to motivate yourself to post since it feels a bit like talking to yourself :-) One thing I've noticed too is that I'm not taking many pictures of the garden this year - because there's no one to show them to :-)

Poor Ajax! Zoe (rottweiler) has hip/ligament problems and, a couple of years ago her owner faced the choice of keeping her very inactive for a couple of months or paying a few thousand for surgery. Zoe was a very active youngster at the time... Her owner chose the inactive route. He was pulling his hair out at times! But it worked and she's fine now. Before then she was walking on three legs.

What a nice bunch of neighbours! What kind of dog is it? Is it staying on its own with just day visits or has it moved in with you for a bit?

Everything is very, very dry and stressed here - although a lot of things have survived better than I expected. 'Carol Mackie' daphne is positively thriving! Clearly these conditions suit it perfectly. It gets some shade in the afternoon from the garage but is otherwise hot and dry. It has just about doubled in size this summer! On the other hand, clematises have been suffering badly from wilt. Vyvyan Pennell is a gonner I think :-(

o

Ivy showing us what summer is about!

o

Ivy showing us what summer is about!

o

Seeing double? I don't know what's going on with that double posting!

Today on the agenda is the removal of some dead branches and a small sick tree in an island bed. Also removal of spent hosta blooms.

In typical zone denial, I have a Leycesteria formosa from the sale table nearby. I figure I manage to get Vitex to grow here, so why not the Leycesteria? For the price, it's worth the try. Now, where to plant it....

Happy today!

o

Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 8:51

Hi folks! Three star Sudoku and the crossword completed on one cup of coffee and it's not yet nine o'clock! I need to get out more *LOL*

Ivy is so cute Marie! How is Sarah feeling? You must be getting ready to travel, yet again!

My chores today: a tiny bit of weeding the front bed; showing DH the beautiful paths thread on GB to convince him that it would be a good idea to develop the Spite Fence strip; tidying and weeding the back triangle garden, which I haven't touched all summer :(, Miracle Growing everything, vacuuming the office (a small job), and heading out for coffee with a friend. Gee, looks like a lot more when you write it out *LOL*. I am happy to see that my Chinese Wisteria is still alive, and my birdhouse gourds are huge.

A Gingko Biloba would be interesting and hardy for Sarah's yard, but they take forever to grow. Would they consider something like a Blue Spruce??

Cheers,

Julie

o

Cute Ivy GB! Can you please send me an e-mail...? My computer got a nasty something-or-other so we had the hard drive wiped clean the other day. Of course, I hadn't thought to back up the address book recently, so I've lost all my e-mail addresses! We got the computer back late yesterday afternoon and I'm currently battling to reload software and get it all set up right. It's going to take me forever! Julie - I have a lot of sympathy for your recent computer woes!!

We got 1/2" of rain yesterday. We have had several half-decent rains in the past two weeks and I noticed on walkies this morning that lawns are suddenly looking greener again. I added up my rain records for July and was surprised to see that we actually got a little over 2"! June was about the same. BUT June's rain was mostly in the first two weeks of the month and July's was in the last two weeks - the four weeks in between had virtually nothing. And May's total was only 16mm.! So it's definitely a serious drought year.

o

So sorry about all the computer woes. I HATE THOSE!

Yesterday's rain only lasted a few minutes. It was a hard rain, but not the kind that soaks in gently. Most is just run-off.

A friend is cutting back dead branches this morning. So nice of him! Now we can walk the "woods" better, without fear of our eyes being poked out. It's too hot to work in the sun though.

o

Hi all. Back from vacation-yes, I was meant to live in France! I suspect the wine, cheese, and foie gras may have something to do with that. Wonderful trip.

Since getting back, I have weeded and am spending every other day at the dentist again. More gum surgery. Not so bad, but it does limit what I can eat unfortunately. Oh well. No wonder I miss France. Ha.

Ivy's pic is well worth posting twice, 'bug! Gosh, they do grow up so fast.

Woody, meant to tell you how much I like that clematis you have coming up through the hydrangea. Inspired planting.

Julie, I will need to try to find that beautiful paths thread. How is your spite fence planting coming along? I have planted about six feet of ours, but there is lots left to hide.:( I have started with camellias and euonymous for a backdrop that will stay green year round. I put in several Exochorda in front, but the pups did in two out of the three. I do have two clethra, two more exochorda, and one other that I can't remember in this moment, but I may put those along another property line. Since our spite fence is on a hill, I haven't been too quick to get to the sloping area. Have planned that for fall weekends. Hoping for a rainy fall that will make digging easier. We have not had nearly enough rain this summer. I think we are about 8 inches below what we should have gotten by now. I am watering like mad.

Time to brush and head to the dentist. Hope everyone is having a marvelous first day of August.

Cynthia

o

Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 13:32

Hi friends!

I am trying to learn a little more about my camera and posting photos. Today I managed to replace the batteries, take some new photos, transfer them to the computer, move them to Photobucket, and post one on facebook. Believe me, this is a personal best for me!

Cyn, the Spite Fence planting is going very well! The Virginia Creeper is fabulous and the daylilies really add to the look. The daylilies were not as good this year as last due to the dry conditions, but even so, I am very pleased with the results. I am adding Clematis to the far end; that is the part we usually see from the yard and deck. I am not sure my neighbour would be pleased that this has made me happy *LOL*

Woody, I will try (!) to send you an e-mail also. What a nuisance losing your stuff!

Marie, are you off to Winnipeg now? Anxious to hear! and see!

Cheers,

Julie

o

Oh Julie, that looks amazing! Good for you. The Clematis will be wonderful, too.

Woody, isn't it awful when you lose all those contacts? I had my phone updated before I went on vacation and they assured me that I wouldn't lose my contacts. Well, that was partially correct. I still had names and phone numbers, but no email addresses or street addresses which meant no postcards. :(

'bug, if you are heading off, have a marvelous trip.

We, too, are looking for a good soaking rain. Here's hoping we all get lucky sooner than later. I may need to take out a second mortgage to pay my water bill!

o

I'll be heading to Edmonton when I get a phone call...any time this month!

DD had her belly painted with henna art at an International Fair yesterday. It looks very cool!

I lost my watch for 3 days: very frustrating. Tonight, after a birthday party out with friends, DH found it on my plant light stand!!! Such a relief.

Weather has been less humid and hot...just lovely! Hotter tomorrow. I MUST do more packing. Lots of Nana gifts for the kiddos.

Good night all!

o

I'll be heading to Edmonton when I get a phone call...any time this month!

DD had her belly painted with henna art at an International Fair yesterday. It looks very cool!

I lost my watch for 3 days: very frustrating. Tonight, after a birthday party out with friends, DH found it on my plant light stand!!! Such a relief.

Weather has been less humid and hot...just lovely! Hotter tomorrow. I MUST do more packing. Lots of Nana gifts for the kiddos.

Good night all!

o

Not again...Oy!

o

gb - the little ones look all set for a future Olympic competition! :-) The double post thing seem to happen if you click on the refresh button after you've posted and before you've navigated away to another page - it usually happens to me if I've posted somewhere, walked away from the computer to do something, and then come back much later and hit 'refresh' automatically - without really registering that it's still showing the 'you have posted...' page!

o

Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 16:58

So here is a not-very-good photo of the front garden today - maybe two if I can manage to post them both *LOL*

You can barely see the two bananas on the patio.

Cheers

Julie

o

Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 15:41

The patio today:

Four hours in the garden, a quick dip in the pool, and now the housework awaits. Can't do very much inside with Hydro One's Time of Use system anyway!

Cheers,

Julie

o

Lawn looks mighty green to me Julie! Don't see any bananas yet. ;)
What's Adrian up to these days? Skyler is visiting an uncle somewhere in Ontario. Haven't heard from him.
Sarah got her belly painted with henna at a fair over the weekend! It actually looks really cute!
I plant shopped with a friend yesterday and picked up a few spots of colour. Today I weeded and watered. (Same old stuff!) It looks mostly OK here except for the grass, but we have loads of wasps. Friends are coming for the weekend. I may or may not be here depending on the new baby's arrival time choice....
'bug

o

Julie - the patio looks great! It looks like a very cozy place to watch the world go by :-)

gb - what 'spots of color' did you get? It sounds like that painted belly is ready to pop...? When's the official due date?

I signed up for another Uof G on-line course today. It's for the fall term and I'm a little worried that taking a course in the fall might cut into garden time!

o

Woody, I got a tiny Cercis 'little woody'! Also an angelica gigas that is in bloom, a cardinal flower, rudbeckia trifolium, veronicastrum 'fascination' and other things I can't remember off hand.

The official date is Aug 25th, but it is pretty meaningless...

Which course? ? ?
As to garden time, I suspect I'll be doing lots of cutting back. The poor plants have been mighty stressed and don't need to be dragged out forever!

Here is a link that might be useful: little woody

o

gb - cute re the redbud!:-) I'd get one of those - except I have nowhere to put it... Aug. 25th is our anniversary - a nice time of year for happy events... I assume you're waiting for the first indications of arrival before heading out...? Will your DH be going too or staying behind with Phoebe?

We're still waiting to hear definite dates for Copper's stay later this month and hoping nothing unusual pops up on the head MRI I had on Tuesday to change those plans. Just in case, Copper's owner has booked all their motels (on a road trip to PEI) at places which take dogs, in case they have to take Copper along. She's a bit worried that, if they have to take Copper, the motels might object that Copper is a pony not a dog! :-) We aren't scheduled to get the MRI results until late Sept. but they will call us in sooner if there's anything urgent. Randy will be heading out to see his father in late September, after we get the results, so hopefully nothing comes up to change those plans.

The course I've signed up for is another Landscape Design one. The two previous ones were detailed, technical ones - the first being about hand-drawing plans; the second being the CAD plans, using the Dynascape software. This one appears to be a more verbal thing re analysis etc. so I'm hoping there should be some interesting discussions as part of the course. And, hopefully, the workload will be a bit lighter than the first two - they took up huge amounts of time! (But they were fun too....)

o

Woody, DH is staying home for sure. He has lots of work as well as class preparation.

DS will be here in September as well. I should be back from Alberta by then. I have book club with dinner here on the 17th.

Tomorrow I'll be making tomato & pesto tarts for lunch. The men-folk will make stuffed salmon for dinner. (from Costco) Then Mapleton ice cream (local) for dessert.

Gentian

o

Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 17:17

Hey Marie, I'll see your gentian and raise you one blue Hydrangea...except I don't know what its name is and it turns pink as it matures! I am anxious to see this new addition to Sarah and Wayne's household!

Good for you Woody, another course! That must be fun over the winter! I hope your MRI results are good!

Wow, at the rate we're going we're going to hit one hundred posts on this thread and we'll have to start another. Maybe not the "last of the Idylls" after all.

Rainy day, so lots of work got done inside. I refuse to mess up my sparkling kitchen tonight so it's off to the pub!

Cheers,

Julie

o

" I refuse to mess up my sparkling kitchen tonight "

I SOOOO understand this!

o

'sparkling kitchen' - what's that....? :-)

o

We finally got a decent rain - 14mm. between 3:00 and 7:00, when Liam arrived for the weekend. So it was a nice cooperative rain that soaked the garden but stopped in time for evening walkies.

Cyn - I just realized I missed your post above. I hope you got a nice rain too sometime in the last few days when there seems to have been more around. How are you progressinwg at replacing your lost information? The one good thing I've found is that I had a lot of outdated and rarely used stuff in both my address book and on my 'favorites' list of web sites. So, looking on the positive side, it was a sort of forced edit/clean-up. But still a major PITA and less than 50% replaced at this point!

o

Another 24mm. of rain overnight! With 1.5" since yesterday afternoon, the garden - and the gardener - is happy! :-)

o

The rain had been gentle until this afternoon. I love a steady gentle rain. But at dinner time things got more serious with heavy downpours, thunder, lightning.

Our company was not deterred by it though and we visited the new greenspace in our town and also went to Lee Valley's store where they purchased indoor plant watering devices for when they are away traveling.
We also went to a great little shop where you can buy saffron for $1.35 and I bought maple syrup buckets (for cut flowers)for $2.50 each.

Heard from David B the other day...for those who remember him. Just sold his "new" house. He seems to be doing well through lots of changes and spoke of plants and things which still interest him.
'bug

o

Another 12mm. of rain overnight last night, so we're up to 2" now. The average Augest rainfall in the garden for the past 10 years or so has been a little over 3", so we seem to be on track now for a decent August. There's more rain in the forecast for the next few days too.

gb - there's a new house (tear-down and rebuild) up the street that reminds me of some of the pictures I remember David posting of his new house. This one is smaller though (but is for sale for an outrageous amount!)

o

Thanks for pushing ahead with the Idylls. It's up to you all if it is to continue. That would be grand IMHO!
'bug

The Alexandra Rose

o

Hi all! I'm not sure if anyone here remembers me :-) I used to garden in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia but have now moved to the great city of Melbourne and, with a new house, will be starting my gardening adventures from scratch! An exciting prospect but also a LOT of work. Here's a quick shot of my new garden:

IMG_0929 1

('scuse the washing on the line) so as you can see, lots of space and lots of potential. Well! I hope you are all well, I'll be back soon!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here