Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have any of your Japanese Painted ferns reverted? (pic)

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6/MA (My Page) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 11:37

I hate when this happens.....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Does anyone know the reason it does? Would you pull out the part that has reverted?

pm2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have any of your Japanese Painted ferns reverted? (pic)

Boy, I don't know where my head is lately. I meant to post this to the Discussions side. Just ignore me and maybe my head will revert. [g]

o

Well I was going to say "revert to what?" It looks like 2 separate plants that you could separate. And yes, I would divide them if they were mine and it looked possible once out of the ground. I like both!

o

Thanks gardenbug, I will try separating them this weekend.

:-)

o

Hi PM. I've had this revert after a few years. I read it may be due to stress (drought, too wet, too much sun, etc.) I found the following on Google:

"Mr. Archer states that the painted fern may revert to the green color of the species as it ages. This is most often due to improper culture: in his and other gardens, the most "colorfast" painted ferns grow in areas with bright indirect light and good drainage but a constant supply of moisture."

I like the green too, I just moved it to another part of the garden where the bright green worked better! :)

Jerri

Here is a link that might be useful: MOUND VUE GARDEN CLUB NEWSLETTER

o

• Posted by jak1 4 Ontario Can (My Page) on
    Sat, May 16, 09 at 17:02

Had to run outside to look...no, mine still looks like a Japanese Painted Fern. It is in a well drained spot that gets lots of sun in the morning and then is shaded by the house the rest of the day. Doesn't get very much moisture though, just the normal rain and whatever I manage to provide when things are dry...

Julie

o

I am like you Pm2, and prefer the original, but the second part is pretty also, although it looks a lot like some of my native ferns.

o

Thanks Jerri for the link and the info on them reverting. Julie, I have a few more of them that look the same from year to year, so far. Yes, marian, I like the original and I like the other too, just not together. Gardenbug, never had a chance to check it out this weekend, but I'm itching to get out there and see if I can separate them. I'll check back when I see what's what.

Thank you all :-)

o

I noticed this afternoon that one of mine has done the same thing....

o

How strange. I've never had this happen. I guess it does though! Now with hostas, I've certainly had this problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here