Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Idyll # 502 - Is it spring yet?!

Temperatures here have been running 8-10C below normal for the last month or more. Is it ever going to warm up?! (Probably we'll go stright from frigid to heat wave and skip spring altogether at the rate weather has been going this year!)

Comments (101)

• gardenbug
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nor do I Norma! Feel rejuvenated tomorrow!

• Marian_2
    12 years ago

Chelone, you are sooo talented ! You do beautiful work.

Cindy, I love that path too. I could sure use some in our yard.

Nolon is not gaining strength very fast, but I guess that is not unusual following that type of surgery. And I am not qualified to be a nurse by any means. The Home Health Care nurse is coming tomorrow, and I am afraid Nolon is going to have to accept more help from her that he wants to. Bathing is a huge problem. His breathing is so much worse since the surgery....his COPD. He cannot tolerate being under a shower, and that is what was prescribed for him. .....a daily shower.

Marie, Lady Rolex appears to have been taught quite a bit before she came to us. She understands most commands. Here she is 'helping' me take pics :

{{gwi:158708}}

{{gwi:158710}}

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

Another warm day in the 80's with lots of storm warnings this evening. By the time we grilled some dinner I didn't have much garden time at all before the rain. I see the asparagus is up and with this rain we should be feasting on it soon.

Marian, I know when Rick's dad had bypass surgery when he was in his 80's it took quite a while to recover. Hang in there.

Norma, we are to the point of peonies and iris yet. I still have daffodils and tulips. Although, the tiniest of miniature irises are blooming. They aren't but 3" tall.

Cindy, what a lovely, classic garden path! What a wonderful gift to yourself. Your garden is looking so full and lush already. As for the lilies, I have one variety that I have had for about 12 years that is just so prolific. I've given lots away and added divisions to several of my gardens. Enough is enough. Of course I've been adding lilies this spring as well.

'bug, that Fireworks certainly spreads doesn't it? Good to hear you give the thumbs up to 'Etoile Violette'

I see another work of art by Chelone. You are amazing!

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Marian, I know your ambivalence about dogs, but what a beautiful expression on Lady R, and what a fine companion she might become for you ! I would love to have another dog if I weren't at the awfice 50 hours a week- but love my cats and will always have them. Thanks you for sharing more pics with us. I hope your home care nurse is able to gently coerce Nolon into accepting the treatment he needs.

Chelone, my god, that floor cloth is just splendid ! I didn't realize that there was a 2nd one in the pipeline. I can see why it makes you smile-pat your self on the back lady, and sc**w the negative crapola from the awfice.

Etoile Violette is on the short list here too ..I think it has one of the best extended/repeat blooms here in our climate.

Cindy, love, love, love your path ..it was grass before, right ? I would love to do a brick path around my island bed in the back yard, but feel like I'd need to have brick in all the other areas that are currently concrete. Expensive ! It's great to do some nice hardscape when you can. The color of the stone really looks great with your garden. Thumbs up !
    I have chatted with Saucy today via e-mail re: IU , and there will be some emails going out in the next few days.

'bug, I love all Thalictrums, but have none at the moment , since they need shade here and I don't really have a good location at the moment. I once had Hewitts Double..

Allright friends, time for me to sign off-waves to all

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

Woody -- 62 years of marriage is an amazing feat -- I know it will be a hard transition for your FIL, but he should have lots of good memories one hopes, and being closer to family ought to help him.

Chelone - I echo everyone else's - that is another amazing gorgeous floor cloth - I cannot imagine you not being able to do custom orders for people (online) if you build up some patterns and ideas for folks. It must be so gratifying to do such a beautiful piece of work.

Thanks for the compliments on the path, folks. It's funny how something that percolates in one's head for years can come out. I angsted over colors, sizes, etc., but in the end when the mud was so nasty this winter and early spring, and Stella was covered in it from head to toe and bringing inside to dry off on furniture and carpets, LOL, just decided it was way overdue to wipe out the "grass" (which of course was mostly weeds, LOL) because too much shade was killing the green. Kathy, I understand and love brick - and really really wanted the Inta brick/cobble/millstone path -- I drool over the idea, but am pretty happy with how this stone turned out, and they did a way better job than I would have done myself. I recall wanting my brick patio for 10 years before I managed to get the money to "blow" on it -- and that pretty much had me at a standstill for a garden in back until I had the "hardscape" in place. I find that I am more often liking the eclectic look, Kathy - so you could likely mix/match some combos of pathways.

I adore my etoile violette too and it definitely deserves any space in a garden and will reward the owner with many many blooms.

I love thalictrums too - I've tried many, but seem to have had the best luck with Black Stockings (I think it's called) and it's started to spread in several places. Gonna have to check the one you mention out, 'bug, I dont think I recall that one. Speaking of which, the thalictrum is starting to do its thing with the Niobe clematis nearby and is a pretty combo; the Viking Queen rose behind it is almost ready to join in.

Okay, off to repeat a project from yesterday (Chelone, I suffer from the same frustration and impatience of awfice inefficiencies and poor "equipment" -- a billing program "upgrade" of 4 months ago now holds the entire firm's bills in a queue for hours... so what I dated 2 days ago and thought I could finalize yesterday at 3:30 pm, I now have to redate, reprint and redo because it didnt get printed in time to get to Accounting before close--- a huge firm here, and they tolerate this nonsense -- talk about unproductive!! And if one complains or suggests this needs to be fixed, it's like screaming in a vacuum.... down a big black hole... o well... I'm learning to suck it up and if they want me to waste my time doing a project 3 times, I guess I will....(and trying to learn not to bang my head in frustration over something I cannot control - but the head is still bruised!).

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

This morning I discovered that instead of 5-6 roses, I actually have over 20. They are a stupid thing for me to grow in this climate because they die back seriously no matter what variety I grow and no matter how high I mound them over the winter. Because I've had zero spring garden help, I braved the rain and marched out, secateurs in hand to prune the roses back to live stems. Keep in mind I barely know what I am doing and there are thorns involved. But now that I am almost done, they look quite healthy and I am hopeful even though they are about 5 inches tall now. I won't have early blooms, but I will have blooms later on!

DH just sent a message saying he isn't sure if he will be allowed to travel on Saturday, so perhaps he'll only return on Monday. Either way, there'll be laundry!

For those of you who like Thalictrum, Evening Star is the variety I just planted. It starts out with gorgeous dark foliage which eventually turns to green. The flowers are pink. See below.

My tree man is coming! I'm on the list for tomorrow, but if it rains, next week for sure. Hurray!

I hope to set up the bird bath and do other chores this afternoon. The weather probably won't let me though.

Cindy, what a pain regarding the billing. If their pay checks were involved, things might change?

'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: Evening Star

• chelone
    12 years ago

You guys are the best tonic in the world for a soul that's been beaten up too much lately. Thanks.

And now, if you'll excuse me I have a date with the paintbrush. ;)

(have called the Reinforcement for assistance with the book keeping program; he's wonderfully patient and has a way of clarifying things that shifts my challenged brain from neutral into a forward gear)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marian - I hope the shower session with the Home Health Care person goes well! Randy's father took quite a while to start healing well from his knee replacement surgery a year or two ago, but once the process got started, it went well. Hopefully Nolon will be the same. Lady R looks like a charmer :-) Will you be taking her to the vet for rabies and parvo shots? I'd think those are pretty important if she's spending time roaming in the woods. Also, keep and eye out for signs of heat - hopefully she was spayed before she became a wandering beastie... I'm sure a litter of puppies is not on your list of desirable things about now!

Since I've been talking about them a lot, I thought I'd 'introduce' you to Randy's parents. Randy's mom was 6' tall and very striking - I was quite intimidated by her when I first met her, but soon found we were kindred spirits. We once, without prior consultation, gave Randy the same birthday card one year! This set of pictures is my favorite photos of them from when they were a young married couple:
    {{gwi:158713}}
    And this is from their 60th anniversary - a short while before Ada ended up in the nursing home:
    {{gwi:158715}}

It's time to put on peony rings, but I'm thoroughly tired of flimsy wire ones. I decided to try making sturdier ones with copper pipes and flexible copper tubing. Barb and I started them today. I need to get some dowelling tomorrow to insert in the tubing to connect it in a ring. It won't take long before the copper darkens to brown so they will be less visible than they will be at first. Here's what they look like so far:
    {{gwi:30827}}

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Hmmm, I was just thinking about peony rings. So flimsy and useful for more than peonies too. I'm so glad you have a buddy who enjoys neat projects!

Ada certainly is handsome in her photos. Sarah always wanted to be 6 feet tall, but stopped at 5'8". It looks like Ivy will be an inch or so shorter than her Mom according to the doctor's calculations at her 2 year checkup.

The rain ended and it is warm with partly sunny skies. I managed to prune the last of the roses, Astrid Lingren. I also put stakes into the ground next to the emerging tall lilies. I cleaned around the base of a tree and also around a clematis and viburnum. I am tired of thorns now!

I went grocery shopping for the company and am pleased to see that the garden asparagus will be ready for Saturday's dinner! That frees up tomorrow for more items to check off the gardening list: potting up phlox seedlings for others, garbage removal to the dump, etc I need to fertilize clematis and roses, but no time for that now.

It seems that DH is now expected home on Saturday! Here are some photos.
    DS speaks to a group
    {{gwi:158718}}

Doors of the hostel where they spent a few nights. (They're cheap!)
    {{gwi:158719}}
    'bug

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Friday the 13th today. I woke up at 4am and haven't been back to sleep since. I'm tired!
    But looking out the window, I'm happy to see sun, a hummingbird and goldfinches, white Purissima tulips and Thalia narcissus.
    The hellebore bed is still a sight to behold and epimediums and white erythroniums are in bloom. I do love white! The anemone blanda, both blue and white, open when in full sun.
    Baptisia are beginning to surface too. The dandelions make for cheer. All in all, spring is fine.
    Thunderstorms are expected though.

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

I think a lot of folks are tired today for various reasons.

'bug, I'm realizing I love white too - I seem to have more and more of it in my garden, altho I don't think it's a definite decision I make. It just seems to brighten and lighten things and it's a wonderful calmer for combos that "jar."

Love those photos of the 62 years of married folks -- they were quite goodlooking!

The doors of that hostel are fabulous! Would we all love to have front doors like that?

Happy Friday all.

-cindy

• Marian_2
    12 years ago

It is almost my bedtime, but I stopped in long enough to tell you all that Nolon is progressing at an amazing rate. The Home Health nurse came yesterday, and was very impressed. Then today a therapy nurse came that Nolon's primary doctor sent to us. She was so impressed by his progress that she came to the conclusion that he does not need therapy and I totally agree ! Yesterday he started walking without the walker, and hasn't used it at all today. He took a 'spit bath' this morning and will continue to do so until he can tolerate the shower. The Home Health nurse completely approved of that, and she was the nurse with one of Harrison's leading surgeons for years. His biggest problem has been his breathing problem from the emphysema.

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

My Bluestone order arrived today. I had forgotten what I had ordered. A couple more clematis were in there. We�d best be getting our fence built. The weather is going to be crappy for the next 3 days so they won�t get planted. Kenzie is here as well.

The gold finches are in such abundance this year that Rick insisted we add another feeder to the 3 small ones we have. This one has 20 perches. The orioles are coming more regularly to the feed than last year when I started feeding them. This morning there was a pair there. We have the feeders right by the window in the dining area of the kitchen where we can see them from the table. I�ve also been buzzed by a hummer as well.

Marian, Nolon�s progress is fabulous news.

Woody, I like the copper rings. I�ve meant to make something similar for years for my tomatoes. Ever since I saw some that Cynthia had made. Unfortunately, I always have plans for more than I have time to accomplish. This year I�m going to grow my tomatoes on a fence. I believe Fine Gardening had an article on it. What cool pictures of Randy�s parents.

I have revisited my stain glass studio (corner of the basement) to work on a greenhouse for my fairy garden.

Kenzie was delighted to pick the first asparagus of the season and can hardly wait to eat some.

Michelle

PS does anyone know why I get these squares wherever I put an apostrophe? I'm pasting from Word 97.

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Congratulations Nolon!! (Good luck Marian, I know what it is like when a "patient" gets better. LOL)

Michelle, whenever I cut and paste from another source I get that garbage where apostrophes appear in the text. Just don't worry about it. We understand.

Wonder if Chelone is off to visit her brother with his new floor cloth...

I'm off to prepare for DH's return and our company.
    'bug

PS: Indy dog is DD's first baby. I can hear her happiness in this note:
    Indy is a healthy dog!
    Vet took a biopsy of her lump and it's just a fat deposit - normal for old dogs.
    He asked if she had any problems with her hips - none.
    They took an x-ray of her elbow - getting arthritis - no surprise. Give her lots of glucosamine. Do that.
    Teeth look fine - don't worry about the broken ones.
    Weight looks fine (I think she could lose a couple pounds).
    Keep giving her table scraps - she's lived on them so far and she's healthy.
    YAY!

She also showed off for the whole clinic. They were all enthusiastic and loved that she was just relaxed and was doing some tricks.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Marian - I'm glad to hear that Nolon is doing so well!

GB - How old is Indy? It's always nice to see active, healthy older dogs. Regular exercise is the key I think - both for dogs and people :-) And it sure looks - from the pictures and comments you post,- that Indy gets lots of exercise.

This isn't the greatest of pictures, but here's what one of the peony rings loocs like in place:
    {{gwi:30828}}

Michelle - I don't remember Cynthia's copper supports, but I can certainly see using they for things other than peonies. I'm considering where else I can use them because they were easy to make. I have lots of the tubing left over since it came in a 50' roll :-)

• chelone
    12 years ago

Woody, I loved the shots of your "in laws" in their youth. What a handsome couple, no wonder they produced your handsome, faithful, infinitely capable and practical Randy. The fruit rarely falls too far from the tree. I visited my cousin yesterday and seeing shots of my favorite aunt and uncle in their prime and as I remember them was poignant but utterly delightful. I love your copper peony hoops, so very clever, girlfriend!

I did not visit bro. with the floorcloth. Too much to do here to get done, which makes me sad. I want to clear up some space in the Salon, but the time to go there and back is shy right now. But time with my big brother is always fun and always filled with laughter and I leave feeling as though, no matter what, I will do just fine. The way I feel when you guys tell me something I've done is noteworthy. :)

However, I weeded and cleaned a portion of the Fertile Crescent gaHden today. The forecast is for overcast and showers for the next week (lesigh) and I figured I'd grab some time when I could. I spent a solid 4 1/2 hrs. out there and from a distance it doesn't look as though much has changed, lol. Once it's mulched it will have a much more pleasing look of completion to it. I hope! I mowed the Fertile Crescent, too. The helpmeet has been treating the profusion of dandilions routinely and I mowed (bagging clippings) low today. The Viburnums are looking fabulous, covered in buds and at 4'+ will add another 6", more if I fuss over them. I want more but since I can't have it, I'm contenting myself with what the vigorous growth they've presented.

Dinner is served. More later. Maybe.

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

I get a little square with letters in it in place of my apostrophes Michelle. I�m thinking this started happening maybe 6 to nine months ago ? I�d been pasting from Word docs ever since I starting posting here without the �junk� showing up. I even e-mailed tech support at GW to see if there was a work-around of some sort�no response, lol. Maybe it�s our elderly versions of word- though I think maybe it happens on my lap-top too.

Cold and blustery today, we have a rainstorm blowing in with below average temps expected for the next few days. I was planning on a taking the Napa County master Gardeners garden tour tomorrow but with rain and high winds in the forecast I�ve benched that idea. Too bad for them though, putting that tour together is a lot of work , and they only have it every other year. I managed to get the rest of my plant purchases in the ground this morning, so the rain will settle them in nicely.

Love the copper hoop Woody ! It will look great when it patinas as well. How sweet the pic of Randys parents, one is never too old to enjoy a glass of wine !

Lol Michelle, forgetting what you ordered from Bluestone. I may have to order from them too this year-last spring I bought and Erygnium �Jade Frost� when I was in Santa Barbara and I really kick myself for not buying three. I looked all over the place last summer-including Oregon-and couldn�t find them anywhere. Bluestone had them though I haven�t looked this year. It turned out to be a great plant .

Marian, you must be so relieved with how well Nolons recovery is going.

I�d best go clean up the garden tools outside before the rain comes in, an hour of sun would be nice but doesn�t appear too likely at this point�

Later friends..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

The copper hoops are perfect Woody! They'd work for delphiniums, baptisia and non clinging clematis too I'm sure. I think Indy is 8-9. I'll have to check. She doesn't get as much exercise as she used to and DD feels sad about that.

Dinner is over, company gone. Our first asparagus of the year was superb and the strawberry dessert was fine too. DH printed off the recipes for the two ladies. They went home with fresh rhubarb too. In spite of the showers, we had a lovely day. I, who wanted to buy nothing at all, ended up getting some trillium plants at the market as well as a quilt at the antique market to liven up the family room. Also got some PJs for little Leo with cute insects all over them. DH stayed home and napped.

Chelone, I too feel that the rain is interfering with my garden weeding schedule. It was much needed though. I hope we get some days when the tree man can get to work though!

I too have some plants ordered and am not sure what they all are any more. I'm sure there are a few clematis involved though...

Sleep well!
    'bug

• chelone
    12 years ago

We have always fed the resident mongrel horde whatever could be scraped off our plates, was "borderline" in the 'frig. along with good quality kibble. The helpmeet frequently prepares homemade pet food. The benefit was made clear several years ago when he took Sally and Chris to a new vet. for the first time. He examined them and commented that they were in beautiful condition (not obese like so many dogs) and that their teeth were virtually clean of tartar. He was pleasantly surprised to learn that they were 9 and 10 yrs. old respectively. He, of course, asked about their diet. Sheepishly, the helpmeet told him they ate mostly leftovers. The vet. smiled and commented that we must eat pretty well and that we ought to continue with the program! We have a theory that the oft repeated advice to "never feed table scraps" is put about to:
    1.) sell more commercially produced dog food.
    2.) make it "easy" to feed your pet.
    3.) OR, to protect dogs from what too many Americans consider "good nutrition".
    Rex's breakfast consisted of: 3/4 cup of kibble, 1/2 cup brown rice, some canned salmon, left over vegetables (carrots and broccoli), and some chicken livers we usually keep on hand for the pets. He cleaned his bowl thoroughly and is now enjoying a small bone.

Pyjamas with bugs on them would appeal to me, too (if I wore pyjamas). I wonder if they make bed linen with insects on it? Lol.

It was good to get outside and scratching around in the dirt. I tweaked the positions of a large grass and several native sedges that occupy the ground beneath Vaccinium corymbosum. I weeded the entire area and cleaned up under the Juniperus procumbens and Artemisia stelleriana. I am very fond of the latter and plan to lift and divide what has become a very large patch. I think it will do nicely around the bases of the Grey twig dogwoods. It's pretty (I love silver foliage), effective, and I own it... but it could be "displayed to better advantage".

A couple of years ago I poached a very large peony out of the yard of a friend's home when she put it on the market. I split it into 3 plants and didn't expect much last year (a couple of flowers). This year they look splendid! the shoots are bright red and vigorous, and I see a plentitude of buds. I have to get them staked soon. Here is a shot of the blossom:
    {{gwi:158720}}
    I find it interesting that the stems are so much redder than those of the other varieties represented on the Compound. I surmise the brilliant stem color is the result of careful breeding.

I have to rearrange the azaleas (3) and really pay attention to good culture because they look pathetic. Flowers will be few, I'm afraid. They shouldn't be too tough to move and I think they will like the drainage of the new site better. I will have the Hollytone out and will give the Vacciniums a "tonic", too. Then it will be time to bring in some mulch. There some other things I'd like to do, mostly rearranging some other shrubs and having some stumps yanked along the edge of the South Lawn.

I am not surprised the Nolon is prospering at home, Marian. It was gratifying to see Mum do so, too. How has he taken to Lady Rolex? I bet he's already slipping her table scraps. And Woody is right about watching for signs of heat in her!

Waving to all and now I really have to get rolling.

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Woody, I liked seeing the pictures of Randys Mom and Dad. They were a handsome couple.I'm happy the had a long time together.

This must be one of the times of year for passing. We have had two and one on the way, and I saw on facebook that Deanne has had one or two. Seems like there is more with the changing of seasons. Maybe not but seems like it.

I like your peony hoop out of copper idea too. I didn't realize you can get bendable copper tubing. I hope to try that someday. I never have enough plant stakes. I try to stake some of the tall iris before they get rained on and fall over and I always run out.

It has been rainy and doggone chilly here all weekend which worked out ok since we had out of town company and now maybe the rest of the peonies will last awhile. The ones that were blooming during the heat just didn't last long at all.

Chelone, I am trying to work with plants that I already have here too. I have lots that could be done more with anyway. Two in particular that need to get divided and moved to where they would have more real estate. There is just always something else needing to be done that catches my eye first.
    I think I need to divide a couple of my peonies because they seem to bloom on only one side of the plant. Maybe part of them are two deep.

Hey I think the sky is clearing a bit! I hope we are done with rain for a few days.

We have had a big yellow tom cat hanging around here and frigthtening Niki and Jasmine. I don't think it is feral because it has come up on the back porch. He is meowing at night and staying hidden during the day. We don't need another cat so DH tried to discourage it last night with a couple of bottle rockets. At least it didn't meow last night. I hope it decides to move on.

Speaking of moving on, I think I need to move. To much sitting around visiting has me stiff.

Norma

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Don't know if this will work. Try it.
    Spring flowers

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring flowers

• chelone
    12 years ago

Oh, it worked all right, Norma!

Your gardens are absolutely lovely. Every spring I delight in the shots of the dogwoods and you've always posted great combinations, but now I'm really able to get bigger grasp of things. :) !!! (have you bagged Picturetrail completely?). I particularly love the shot of Niki mincing about and the "shadow" in the window behind the hayrack shot. :)

It's raining lightly, but enough to keep me indoors for the time being. I would really like to be moving miscellaneous clumps of this and that, but there is too much to do indoors to justify the necessary search for foul weather gear. Chilly here, too! I contemplated lighting the stove in the Salon this morning but opted instead for the immediate gratification an oil-fired furnace can offer. All views from the Salon windows are decidedly green. Leaves on the oaks and maples are really just beginning to unfurl, so the canopy to come is still pretty inconsequential, neon green, and (when we get some) sunlight is basically unrestricted to all plant life. This is my very favorite time of year (in spite of ticks, black flies, and the mosquitoes to arrive shortly).

I can't think of a better time to die that at the change of seasons. I think sometimes that people hold on to see "one more" of something and after that they are ready to move on to whatever comes next. I'm now thinking about what point in the growing season would be the one I'd want to see for "one last time". Dunno. Any thoughts on that, you guys?

I have to get that fool dog out pretty soon and I think I'll pack the pruners and snip off some likely peony staking shoots.

(I need to move, too. My lower back is reminding me of yesterday's effort and the fact that I've not committed myself to a stretching routine in far too long.)

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Worked like a charm Norma ! I viewed it in slideshow mode...I love seeing photos of your gardens ..thanks for putting those up

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Beautiful gardens Norma! Everything looks fresh and springlike.

Chelone, my favorite garden season is Autumn. I love the colors and the motion of the grasses: asters, goldenrod, agastache...

Today is 'Wet Sunday' with some photos to share.
    Epimedium
    {{gwi:158721}}

Erythronium
    {{gwi:158722}}

Thalictrum
    {{gwi:158724}}

{{gwi:158726}}

Hellebores
    {{gwi:158728}}

{{gwi:158729}}

Early iris
    {{gwi:158730}}

Just so you know, we are at home, indoors, being lazy and eating fudge from the market. DH has tested his new quilt and is now reading a paper to review.

{{gwi:158731}}

Earlier we took a drive to see the marsh marigolds in bloom around the corner from us. So pretty!

{{gwi:158732}}

{{gwi:158733}}

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Bug I really like that quilt. The colors are great. And you have the nicest hellebores.

Looks like we are all having the same type of weather.

Chelone I haven't given up picture trail just yet because I haven't figured out how to put the pictures here yet.

I'm off to bed in my own bed tonight:) I gave it over to guests for the weekend. This house needs one more bedroom.

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention how much I love those copper supports, Woody - I suspect I'd never find the time to make them tho - but they look just perfect with the extra strength the copper gives them.

As always I adore your plants and photos, 'bug -- you have some of the prettiest hellebores!

And Norma - wow -- your spring gardens are magnificent -- I'm envious of all the open space with lots of sun you've got and those iris that are obviously happy as "clams" in those borders. I think I've seen more views again I've nver seen of your property - there are so many vignettes - amazing! So unlike my little postage stampe property. Of course along with all that space, goes upkeep - no wonder you're so exhausted all the time! Just so well planned tho -- I love it.

It was an odd weekend w/ wet everywhere but more dry times than not - managed a bit of cleanup and mulching....

No more time to post but I thought this was a sweet photo of Stella inspecting:

{{gwi:158734}}

(this was right before she went back and then tried to devour the bud and petals of the lowest.... stinkin dog - I think clematis are not poisonous.... she survived, but this is why I dont get so much done in the garden - more time puppy watching or chasing!).

-cindy

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Cindy that is a cute photo of Stella. I bet you enjoyed being able to mulch up to the new sidwalk. Was that a grassy area before? Do you have a before picture?

Thanks for the nice comments on my spring flowers. I'm glad you all can't see to many weeds in the pics. LOL.
    I felt under the weather today and after a walk in the sun with Rebel and a quick walat I accomplished nothing. It was darn chilly outside even if the sun was shining. I even took a nap. I did enjoy looking out at the front garden as the late afternoon sun turned it into a tapestry of shapes and colors. I do enjoy the early morning and afternoon slant of light that washes through the garden.
    I hope I am back up and at em in the morning.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

March came back here in Norcal, steady rain and cold since last night. Poor roses are drooping , and Reinne des Violettes is so heavy with water she has pulled away from the fence. Looks like I'll have some re-tying to do this weekend. I don't really mind spring rains, it's great not to have to water for a few days, but it sure ruins the roses. Oh well, I've enjoyed them for a few weeks now so I can't complain.

Cindy, that Stella ! so cute..but you failed to id the Clem, I'm sure it was just an oversight on your part. It looks mighty blue ! Is that a camera thing or the real deal ?

'bug those Hellebores ! Just fabu, each and every one.

Dinnertime..

And a crappy pic of Arabella I took yesterday..I'm thrilled with her energy this spring -I continue to train her along the spiral-thingy .

Kathy in Napa {{gwi:158735}}From Garden Spring 2011

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

The weather shaped up today and was quite spring-like. I spent the evening planting the cutting garden section of the potager. Then I spent some time until dark digging quack grass out of the Butterfly Garden. I find it interesting how each garden seems to have its "weed" My raised beds don't have a problem with quack grass since it doesn't creep in but one of them has bind weed that is giving me fits. You can't pull the stuff. I think I just read that the roots can go 3 foot deep. I am determined to use round up this year on it just as soon as I see it sprout.

The weekend was cool and damp. Kenzie insisted on spending much of Saturday outdoors playing in her garden. We planted some seeds of her choice - carrots, cantaloupe and miscellaneous flowers. When it started to rain just a bit we decided to have a tea party in my garden shed. She wrote an invitation and ran to the machine shed to deliver it to grandpa. So he joined us for tea and crackers.

Kathy, you are going to love your "Arabella" I bought a new tutuer for mine this year. It's not a very tall clematis for me and the one I had it on was too tall. Now what to grow on that one.

'bug, lovely hellebores.

Norma, you have the most wonderful long views. I like all the trees. Here in farm country you just don�t see that much of that.

Chelone, what an elegant peony. Nice that you could get a piece of it. When my aunt died I was able to get her fern leaf peony before the house went on the market.

Cindy, what a precious picture of Stella smelling the flowers. I think it would be quite cool if you cropped it and framed it.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

This gray wet gloom is getting mighty tiresome. Makes it hard to get garden chores done and I feel I am already behind. But it is far better than the fires which are plaguing folks out in Alberta. Here is what DD wrote:
    Could those of you with a little excess rain send it up here (without lightning)?

We have fires all over the place and a bunch of our staff just (Sunday afternoon/evening) had their houses burn down in a town 2 hours from here. In fact, about half the town, and the provincial building (that's my coworkers') and town hall burned down. They were given about 30 minutes warning on the evacuation notice. The winds were gusting at 60 miles/hr, so the water bombers and helicopters were grounded.

I was just talking to the wife of one of our wildlife officers, and she had the vehicle packed but couldn't get the garage door open (the power was out for hours), the smoke alarms in the house were going off from the forest fires, and the front porch was on fire! She's 3 months pregnant and has a 2yo so I can imagine she was mildly panicking. The obvious thing (drive through the garage door) didn't occur to her. Goes to show that in case of emergency make sure that the garage door can be manually opened!

The scariest part to me was that the town (population about 7500) was surrounded by fires, so even though there was an evacuation notice, they couldn't leave in any direction for a long time, until the fire burnt over one of the highways and then they had an escape route. In the meantime, everyone was directed to park in the Walmart parking lot (the biggest in town), and along the city airstrip. Also, there was no radio station to broadcast because the power had gone out hours earlier, so it was difficult to know what to do.

Other than the obvious (kids, dog, wallets, then possibly cell phones) what would you bring?

I asked DH today at lunch what he thought would be the most important things to grab if we were told we had 20 minutes to evacuate? DH said the generator, chainsaw, tools.

I said the filing cabinet, irreplaceable photo albums, computer and hard drives (most of our photos are saved on the computer). Then sleeping bags and camping equipment.

It would probably take us 10 minutes.
    Then we'd take a couple changes of clothes for each of us. Then the quilts that were made for the kiddos by their grandmother, and the one I've made for Ivy.

It was obvious that one of us would take the truck with the truck camper on it, and the other would take the van (we could easily fold the seats down and fill the back with the tools and generator.

And then we were stumped. Everything else could be replaced if necessary, even the large photo of Reed in the livingroom. We couldn't think of anything else that should be a priority that we could take in a fast enough time. Blankets and pillows I suppose. Diapers?

In fact, we were stumped after the generator and photo albums until I pointed out the passport and insurance problem. I'm thinking that a list might be a good idea, because you don't necessarily think straight in an emergency.

What would you take?

Marian, my serviceberry is in bloom today!

• saucydog
    12 years ago

Good rainy morning to you! This will be my third day off from the survey job due to rain. It couldn't have come at a better time, as my neighbor and I are ramping up for Plantapalooza! This is our third year and it's supposed to be the biggest yet - 48,000 fliers went out. I'm slightly worried about the customers bombarding us ;)

Big news here, and another big reason I've been AWOL: Ginger! I got a schnauzer from a rescue that Sue had mentioned on her FB page. She's the sweetest little girl who had been living in a very rambunctious (sp?) home and wasn't doing so well. We're a pretty laid back family, so I thought I'd give her a try. As soon as I clicked the leash on at the rescuer's house, she took to me. She hopped right into the truck and open kennel without touching the floor! She sat and stared at me the whole ride home. She hasn't left my side or lap for a moment, unless it's to accept a belly rub from Jake and Sarah. She walks like a dream - no tension on the leash and stops at every corner. So far the only problem is her barking at certain people (seems to be dark haired boys) and a little happy jumping. She's even happy in her kennel, which allows the cat to have some free time in the house (he he he).

Woody, I was sorry to read about Randy's mother. My condolences to you both. I loved the old photos and the history to go along with it. I wish we still made those sort of photos today (maybe I should do that before my kids leave home!). Maybe other families do?

Marian, it sounds like you're an excellent nurse and that your home makes Nolon heal faster. I see you have a new pup, too. I remember having outside dogs when we were kids. They were the best kind - they seemed so loyal and always there for a pat or to walk with us. I wonder if Nolon (and Trubby) are warming up?

My cat is a little put out by Ginger.

Everyone seems to be finding time in their gardens! Wow Norma! I'm in the chorus with everyone else - you've got some great gardens that I never tire of seeing. I am finding time in the garden, too, even with the job, and I find that I can buy many more plants with the new income. I hope to take pictures soon as the rain fades. I'd like to do some monthly shots like you guys did last year, so I can see what the GG needs. I have been mainly working there so far as I'm in a race with the mosquito season. Come summer, it will be inhabitable. I acquired a mosquito magnet from my FIL and will give it a try, but I'm not holding my breath!

I guess that's all from me this morning. Hopefully I can return with a picture of my girlie (I keep calling her girlie instead of Ginger - I'm going to have to paint her toenails purple if I keep it up!).

GB, interesting thought from your daughter. I have a small fireproof safe with some special things, passports/important papers, and a few important pictures. I couldn't think of anything else I'd need either. I have a funny attachment to things, but then when I really think about it, I could let it all go and start over again.

Later Gators!

Saucy

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Good morning everyone, I had a lovely email from Marie when I checked my mail today and I thought I'd pop over here to check in and say hello. Thanks Marie for the kindness and Norma for mentioning me.

So, yes, we've had a rough month here first with my cousin's suicide four weeks ago, then one of my high school friends passed away on April 28th and my Aunt Yvonne passed away Monday a week ago. She was my Mom's last sibling and she is taking it pretty hard making noises about being next. Mom isn't in the best of health so an attitude like that isn't one bit helpful.

The weather isn't being particularly uplifting either. This cold rain is getting to me as I'm sure it is everyone else. It is making short work of the lilacs, flowering crabs and dwarf iris and it's such a shame as I've never seen these as full of flowers as they are this year. The lilac in particular are loaded with blooms so the rain has the shrubs bent to the ground with the weight.

Bad news/good news, the woodchuck that chewed through the brunnera a few weeks ago seems to be gone and I'm suspicious that the red fox that Rahjii chased out of the yard last week had something to do with that. Rahjii was pretty proud of himself but I'd have preferred he leave it alone. Fortunately he's fine but that could have been a bad encounter. The local Great Blue Heron continues to visit us every day. What an amazing and enormous bird! Thank heavens the fish are still tucked safely in the house but the frogs are all gone. It still seems so incongruous to see something like that in the back yard.

Something new this year, I've fallen completely in love with Neoregelias and Vrieseas. Such gorgeous, interesting and low maintenance plants. The foliage Vrieseas are particularly wonderful but are really difficult to get a hold of. Most of the hybridizing is being done in Australia and New Zealand and they don't export them so I can only look at the pics and drool.

Bug, can't believe you are having problems with fires when we are being flooded with rains. Amazing, stay safe. Your spring flowers are so lovely, wonderful hellebores!

Michelle, so if you are finally having some good weather I'm crossing my fingers it's on the way here. Sounds like you've had some productive time in the gardens.

Norma, wonderful spring pics! You really have a lovely collection of bearded iris. Ours are just budding up and not ready to bloom yet. Everything is late compared to last year. The wisteria is still just in bud and last spring was in full bloom on May 6.

Kathy, love Arabella on the spiral thingy! Beautiful! Bummer about the roses though.

Cindy, Stella sniffing the clematis is oh so cute. She is a doll. Your gardens look so pretty and that new path is fabulous.

Woody, those peony supports look great, super idea and Chelone, that's a lovely peony.

OK I've really got to get my day started here. Have a good one my Idyll friends
    Deanne

PS here's a gallery of some photos I took before the rains began

Here is a link that might be useful: spring photos

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

I'm feeling a bit soggy and dreary today - it likely has something to do with the constant rain we're having -- 'bug I would soooo love to send it your way -- this is my favorite time of year and everything is drenched and hanging on the ground (me included, LOL). So the grass is about knee high, etc. - whenever you think you get ahead of something, Mother Nature just smacks you down!

Saucy -- Ginger is so darn loveable -- I think you'll find you call her many nicknames - I know I do with my dogs - I think at one point we counted 14 for Chloe -- it's taking a bit longer to build up a repetoire for Stella - but there's time yet.

Deanne - nice to see you drop in and I now have a great thing to do at my lunch break - wander thru your gardens - amazing that the beloved wisteria is yet to bloom. My peonies are already in bloom and now washed away - along w/ the roses, etc.... drooping big time! I'm so sorry for your losses -- those have to have hit you hard and I know you need some time to grieve and find comfort - I hope you find some of that in just a little garden therapy - maybe not intensive work, just a little this or that and enjoy the cycle of life in the garden.

'bug - interesting question about what to grab - I used to ponder it but never really planned it -- first was always the kid and the dog, (thinking either might be afraid and hiding - that might take all my 20 minutes I think) -- nowadays, it would still be the dog #1, and then photos/jewelry(mementos), and likely nothing of any practical use! I indeed should have a disaster paper file ready to go... always on the to-do list, but yet to be done.

Kathy -- that clematis that Stella is so fond of is either Juuli or her sister Miranda -- they are both relatives of Arabella also I think. It is indeed that dark a blue (darker than Arabella) but nowhere near as floriferous as Arabella (who never stops blooming) - I have Juuli on the one little column and Miranda on the other - they are all short (under 6 feet and non-twining so need ties or supports). This dark one (I think it might be Miranda having googled it, but always thought it was Juuli) usually starts a couple days before Arabella, followed by Juuli and Arabella. Highly recommend if you're looking for more short clems - which seems to be what I've started to collect (altho I'm being good this year so far).

Well, I need to wake up sufficiently to plow through a bunch of work today -- I hope the sun is shining somewhere and it's dry!

-cindy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

It is dry in Alberta...and that's the problem. I can't send rain to my daughter. I'm very sick of it here. So I am safe from fires, just not from drowning! The forecast indicates rain through next Tuesday at least...

Mowing the mile high grass will be the next challenge I guess.

Good to hear Saucy's news. We're going to need a pet thread, showing our furry friends.

• chelone
    12 years ago

I heard the very sad news about the wild fires in Alberta and wondered about 'bug's DD and their circle of friends, unsure if they were in the affected area or not. Sadly, it seems they are. But the stories of flooding, wildfires, and other disasters really does underscore the necessity of an "emergency plan". I'm afraid I'm not particularly prepared for an evacuation. Prolly oughta spend some time on that. (3 cats, some pictures, maybe that fool dog).

My Saturday of garden endeavor left me unable to put on my socks on Tuesday morning. I seized up like the Tin Man late on Monday afternoon after working on drapery panels 96"x50" w/ heavy black-out lining all day. A visit to the chiropractor helped immensely and though I remain a bit tender have resolved to do the exercises prescribed in hope that they will alleviate future relapses. It was a rather stern reminder that this old grey mare ain't what she used to be and I must treat my person with greater respect than I have heretofore! ;)

It is my hope that as the weather dries out I will have recovered enough to actually finish mowing the lawns. Everything is really, really green and really, really tall! Deanne's message above reminds me that I really have to pinch the Phlox, which is presently bent by downpours and rain on the sun deprived shoots. Gotta stake the peonies, too. They're growing by leaps and bounds but without sun or breezes they are not really very strong.

A new dog for Saucy and Marian... this is going to be worse than grandchildren. You know how I feel about dogs.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Deanne - condolences to you! I hope the weather cooperates soon so you can spend lots of time in the garden - much comfort and peace to be found there...

Randy returned from Calgary last night, very tired and stressed. While his father is talking about moving here, he is also resisting all efforts to facilitate moving forward in that direction. I wouldn't be at all surprised that a move never materializes :-(

We had a follow-up appointment first thing this morning to get the results of last week's MRI on my gut. It's still a mystery as to what is going on there. The mass is stable in size, so that good, but we're no further ahead in identifying it, determining whether it is the cause of my abdominal discomfort, or what to do about it! Next step - a referral to another specialist :-(

We are now up to just under 3" of rain here since it started on Friday night - and lots more rain in the forecast. The weeds are germinating and growing by leaps and bounds, especially in the front bed. It's too wet and too cold to get out to do anything about them. GRRR...

Saucy - Ginger pictures please...

• saucydog
    12 years ago

She hasn't left my side since we came home on Sunday. I'm quite smitten ;)

{{gwi:158736}}

She walks like a dream on the leash. I guess my only complaint is that she barks at the boys in the house, but I think that might subside when she realizes they're her boys. Her bark doesn't last long after they enter. I might try putting bacon in their pockets ;)

Saucy

Original Author
    12 years ago

She looks wise - and a little bit wicked :-)

• saucydog
    12 years ago

I believe it's all in the eyebrows, Woody ;)

So far she's just a sweet little thing. She runs around the house sniffing at everything, but not really after anything. She's living up to her schnauzer name, I guess.

I'm sure she'll have a little wicked streak, but it hasn't come out yet.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

I'm happy Ginger found her forever home Saucy!(Sorry kitty!)
    Yes, do keep taking weekly photos of the GG if possible. :)

Chelone, did the chiropractor apply WD-40 to the Tin Man's joints? Glad you feel better. Gardening is hard work, like sewing!

I was treated to a surprise jar of rhubarb chutney today, made from my very own rhubarb that I'd given a friend yesterday. Enjoyed it with dinner tonight. Today we saw an oriole and an indigo bunting. It is unreal seeing an indigo bunting on the same feeder as the goldfinches and a pair of cardinals! WOW!

The heat has been turned up here at the farm. Just too cold these days. I managed a bit more mowing, but not in the wetter areas. Then I cut back a rose by half...in preparation for shovel pruning. I can plant a clematis there soon. I also mailed a sweater and the creepy crawly covered PJs to Leo. Basically though, the gloom leaves me lethargic. I need sun and time to improve the gardens. My plant order arrived: 1 Coreopsis and 5 clematis. Oh dear....

{{gwi:158737}}

{{gwi:158738}}

Deanne, we have the GB Herons here as well, fishing at the bridge. The groundhogs, well YUCK! ;) I checked out Neoregelias and Vrieseas to find your newest interests.

Later,
    'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: Neoregelias and Vrieseas

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Oh my, so much news today !

Our rain finally bit the dust today with the exception of a couple of brief cloudbursts. Snail patrol was required tonight, but my best chore was potting up a couple of awesome Hoyas that came from our Ohio contingent. I took photos but they were excessively blurry , so I will make another attempt tomorrow.

Ginger is a very elegant addition to the Idyll pets. What a lucky girl to move into Terrapin Station.. though I feel for Marcy ! Doobie is terrified of dogs, and if I got one he would probably move up to the roof.

Beautiful pics Deanne, and hugs to your family..hope Doug is feeling better ? We don�t have woodchucks out here (in fact I have no clue what they look like) but I guess the gophers, voles,snails and banana slugs are our plagues to deal with. Gophers are very numerous here, but I have never had them in my garden thank goodness.

Cindy, thanks for the ID�s �I have identified 3 or 4 locations here that can accommodate Clematis; and I want Betty Corning pretty bad (need the space !) and of course Pink Fantasy, although these is another pink grown by a nursery in Sonoma County that would do as well if I can�t find PF�

All for tonight..waves !

Katy in Napa

• jak1
    12 years ago

Happy (wet) Thursday all.

I know I haven't posted in quite a while so I thought I would just scroll back and go from my last post. Ha! It was so far back I couldn't even find it, so I'll just get to it and hope I haven't missed anybody.

Woody, my condolences on the loss of your MIL. I feel for you and Randy now having to help your FIL come to terms with his new life. Been there and it is very hard. I am glad that your scans aren't as alarming as they could be. Hoping that things even out for you a bit now. The copper tubing idea is awesome!

Deanne, I had no idea things were so difficult for you right now, although it is obvious that garden therapy is in progress. Your gardens looks lush and beautiful. Is this the year you are on a garden tour, or was that last summer? Boy am I out of touch!Hopefully things are brighter for you now.

Chelone, I love the floorcloths! You have a rare talent indeed. Sorry to hear about the creaky bones; but it sounds like great strides havebeen made on the compound.

Bug, of course. Beautiful flowers, most of which I don't have so an extra special treat for me, and lovely tiny little clothes. I bet the clems, and everything else, are growing by leaps and bounds for you this year. Maybe the weeds too, unfortunately. I thought of you the other day as I was out mowing in the rain.

And speaking of clems, Kathy I have just gotten a Pink Fantasy to replace an unknown clem that happily did not return. The predessor was not a success. I hope this one thrives. Whoever was thinking of Etoile Violet, it is a huge bloomer for me here, earliest of many, and second bloom in mid summer. My two are huge. Also the Josephine whic is in its third year will leap for sure, at least fifty buds on it now.

Pleased to hearthat Marian and Nolon are hanging in there, and have a new companion too. Hi there! Somehow you have disappeared from my FB page.

Saucy, I love Ginger. Just looks so impish; I always like to hear about rescues too. It sounds like you are really busy, and the tree ID stuff still sounds interesting. How nice to get a couple of days to sort of catch your breath.

Norma, your gardens also look wonderful. How lucky am I to be able to see them! Thanks!

Who have I missed? Michelle? Cindy? Waving!!

We all seem to be in the same boat weather-wise, and a boat is almost what we need it seems. I have been in a bit of a funk but the other day I thought of lovely Vancouver gardens so booted up and got going.

Which is what I should do now!

Cheers,

Julie

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

So when you are restless and think you should be in the garden... consider this Redneck Engineering photo...and be glad you are indoors.

{{gwi:158739}}

Be back later. Much to do.
    'bug

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Morning all, well it is still raining but it looks like we we'll get a reprieve for a couple days and I think I'll be able to work outside this afternoon if we don't get the predicted thunder storms. So very much to do still. I've got the back gardens in pretty good shape but haven't done a bit of work in the front except to do some clean-up. Heather's boyfriend has been working for me a day or so a week and he really can get a lot done in a short period of time. He's gotten the entire back gardens mulched! I edged everything and he traipsed the mulch up, down and around and got it all spread. I cleaned out the borders but he did all the raking and cleanup in the back and behind the pond which is a huge job. Now I need to get to work on the front. The driveway garden needs a ton of work and I've got to replace or change a bunch of plants from the rodent damage. My worst casualty there is the enormous clump of Oriental 'Bergamo' lilies, there were at least two dozen last summer, anyway, they are all GONE! every last one of them. drasty rodents.

The good news is that Doug FINALLY listened to me and took Zicam and his cold magically disappeared in three days. This morning he told me to stop gloating, LOL.

Saucy, love Ginger, what a cutie. She looks like a sweetie with a bit of mischief in her. LOL about putting bacon in the boy's pockets. Whatever works right? ~~~ We need to touch bases about getting those hosta leaves here. I'd like to get them painted and think about situating them. No need to worry about the stands at this time. WE can do that later. Sounds like you've got a very full plate these days.

Bug, the furnace is running here as well. I can't believe I'm wearing a fleece turtleneck with a sweatshirt the end of May. ~~~ LOL, love those buggy Pj's, so cute and that sweater is great! ~~ I'm the same as you with running at half speed when its so gloomy out. Can't wait to see the sun again. ~~ so cool you checked out Neos and vrieseas, they are so cool! Here is a pic of a few of my Neoregelias

{{gwi:158740}}

The coolest thing about these plants is the ease of culture. They don't need to be watered often, almost no feeding. The Vrieseas grow well in filtered light to light shade and the Neos, depending on the variety grow and color up well with a half day of sun. After they bloom the mother plant dies off in a year or so and the plant throws off multiple pups so you now have replacements at no cost and very little effort.

Kathy, you are so lucky you dont' have to deal with the woodchucks. They are so terribly destructive. I wouldn't want to deal with banana slugs though. yukko! looking forward to seeing pics of your new hoyas.

Julie, yes, we are going to be on the Garden Conservancy's Open Days in July this summer but we were also on a local garden tour last year. Next year I'm taking the year off from tours. Too much work!

OKie Dokie, waving hello to one and all, have a great day and lets all hope for some sunshine and warm temps.
    Deanne

• chelone
    12 years ago

There were a few moments of outright sunshine this afternoon. However, I was face down on the table at Dr. Chiro and managed to miss them, lol. I wouldn't say they applied WD-40, so much as "penetrating oil"... not up to full speed but I can manage socks and clean the litter pan with relative ease. Not all bad. ;) I have my back stretching exercises and have been doing them right along with flossing and brushing my teeth. My hope is that by incorporating them into my morning and night routine they'll not fall by the wayside.

I like the redneck shot. It made me laugh aloud, actually. Too funny. :) :) :)

I did not realize Schnauzers came in two-tone models. I think the "wicked" is the whole clipped ear thing... always gives them that, "don't -uck with me" look, I think. As for ear clipping and tail docking, it's never really bothered me very much but I can see how it could set people off. American Saddlebred horses routinely have their tails "set"; whatever it is (muscles/tendons) are cut and the tails can be artificially raised to simulate excitement (usually associated with breeding behavior). It's a "look", the same way coach horses and Hackneys routinely had their tails docked (though that was deemed practical, to keep the tails out of the harness traces)... you either accept it or loathe it. Funnily enough, those things don't bother me much, but declawing a cat makes me sick to my stomach. Strange, huh?

I'm not surprised that Ginger is all over you like white on rice, Saucy. You delivered her from a dog's hell... an ambivalent pack. The worst thing on earth you can do to a dog is to ignore it (which is why I advocate beating them as much as I do). Dogs bark, the bark software comes fully "loaded"; but learning, "quiet!" is not hard and a most useful command. Beat it into her. ;)

The boiler cycles periodically here, as well. We have used the woodstove more than a few times, too. I had contemplated cleaning it out for the season but am now glad I didn't. I'm wearing a turtleneck and a sweatshirt today; by no means a squid about chilly, raw weather I am, however, growing very weary of it. Lesigh.

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

I had originally planned on taking Friday off but changed it to Wednesday and I ended up with quite a lovely spring day in the garden. I made work of getting the majority of the quack grass off the surface of the butterfly garden. I know what lurks below the surface though. The soil was friable and I was able to lots of roots as well. I hauled some of the plants that I overwintered outside finally. The veggie garden is also planted.

The weather has changed today. It's not raining yet but cloudy and windy. I'm not feeling the best and decided to stay in.

I was thinking about the gardening challenges we all face and how they differ for each of us. No woodchucks, voles, jap beatles, slugs or lily leaf beatles here but rabbits, deer and wind drive me nuts.

Saucy, Ginger looks adorable.

Deanne, sorry to hear of all your losses. What a bummer about the lilies, that can be so disappointing. Your garden shots are stunning.

Bug p.j.'s from grandma bug, how appropriate.

That's all for me for the night.

Michelle

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

Happy Friday all - the sun is actually shining here this morning (that might be a first for sun in the a.m. in a week) and the rains are supposedly pushing their way away -- now to wade into the swamp (er, gardens) this weekend, when I get a chance (and have muck boots on!).

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better, Chelone -- creaky backs are definitely activity-limiting - hard to believe those muscles are involved for so many little or big things.

I confess the thing that struck me about G-G(Ginger?) is what appears to be the marking down her face - a stripe? It's unusual and I think lends to the "wicked" look (aside from the eyebrows, LOL) - makes me think one could come up with some clever names for her. I bet she adds a lot of joy and love to your household.

Love those bug pjs, 'bug!!

Glad you got so much done on your day off, Michelle - I wish I could say the same; lately it's been waiting for workmen or raining and I feel like I don't have a handle on the season -- the storage room isn't even organized so I continue to grope for this or that -- couldn't find the spade/fork the other day; can't find the clematis ties/hooks I ordered (I know there in there Somewhere!) and pulling out the stored accessories. Actually, that sounds a bit like the whole house -- my clothes are here and there as I change out the seasons and I know I'm missing a box here or there... Dont know how I get so disorganized sometimes.

Glad Doug is feeling better, Deanne -- those bromeliads? relatives are mighty cool - I can't yet decide if I like 'em or not, but I'm slow to appreciate things. Kind of like coleus.....Their maintenance certainly sounds pretty wonderful and low key. I know you are going to incorporate them into incredible garden vignettes.

Okay -- no more time; gotta punch the clock....

-cindy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
    Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
    and I say it's all right
    It's all right

Well it ended up a beautiful warm day...but with bugs. Those little black no-see'ums were definitely up to NO GOOD. UGH. But DH was a hero and assisted me in planting our new apple tree. Her name is Priscilla. Then we set up the bird bath. I potted up 5 good sized clematis seedlings for my friend's nursery. Maybe tomorrow we'll take divisions and seedlings to their place.

A new clematis found its way here too: Cassis. Maybe this long weekend (Victoria day weekend) will see me finding homes for 6 new clematis and a few other plants. One of them you can see below.

DH enjoyed flying above our area with his friend Harry today..Perhaps he took photos of our place? We'll see tomorrow.

Happy weekend to all!
    'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: I am Lady J

• babzclare
    12 years ago

Hi Everybody!! Can I close this thread? I assume you still go to 100...

Can you believe I was expecting that nobody idylled anymore due to places like facebook,etc.? How IS everyone??

Sorry to read about your MIL,Woody. How wonderful that Randy's parents were with each other for 62 yrs. Nice to see their photos.

Marian-I was sorry that Nolon needed surgery-but how great when the outcome is positive. That's good to hear!

Hi Norma!! Your property is very beautiful! I just love how green everything is-it seems like it took forever to get to spring.

saucy-what a pretty schnauzer! Such different coloring than I've seen. How sweet that she loves and appreciates you already : )

Funny this still feels like home lol.

Odd thing is...I was actually searching for 'how to get gum off carpet' but I ended up here?? lol. I'm trying peanut butter then I'll have to find out how to remove peanut butter,right?

Hopefully I can drop in once in a while since school is almost out-9 more days! : )

As always...
    ~babs

• babzclare
    12 years ago

Wait a minute...really? You guys not only remembered my bday but you even posted some pics for me on #500? I feel like such a heel for not knowing...can you see me blushing? I'm just touched that's all I can say...thanks too.

Happy belated to Drema(how you doing?!) Kathy & Denise are you guys enjoying age 25 as much as I am? : ) [ok so my back hurts,can't see without magnifiers and anti-aging face cream is a staple now] lol.

The Infamous
    ~Blabs

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor