Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Rainy Morning at the Farm

gardenbug
14 years ago

This morning I was out taking some photos before breakfast because overcast days are the best for that I think. I wanted to add some clematis shots but the rains put an end to that.

Here's the bunny that DH rescued and released yesterday.

{{gwi:158913}}

Allium and berberis by the dining room windows.

{{gwi:148853}}

Our "Blue & Yellow garden"

{{gwi:158917}}

Amsonia

{{gwi:158918}}

Amsonia, Iris and Veronica gentianoides

{{gwi:158920}}

Toward the patio, the return of Clematis Markham's Pink after a year of being a bunny victim.

{{gwi:158746}}

On toward the flats, Camassia and tulips.

{{gwi:158921}}

Views of the flats. The cleaned up part. ;)

{{gwi:158924}}

{{gwi:158925}}

{{gwi:158927}}

More Iris Dardanus in an island bed.

{{gwi:158928}}

That's all for now folks!

Comments (12)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Beautiful as usual gb! It's odd that a lot of things seem further ahead there than here... The 'lake effect' keeps temperatures from going to extremes but we always have cold, slow springs.... Other than Clematis montana, there are no clematises in bloom here yet. It looks like bunny pruning didn't cause permanent damage to that pretty clematis.

I've tried camassia a couple of times and it just doesn't seem to like me (pout, pout....)

Are you getting rain? We seem to have an umbrella over us - all the rain is moving around us but nothing actually falling on us - and we need some!

Where's Phoebe in those pictures?! We need some Phoebe-in-the-garden pictures....

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Wow! You have so many lovely plants and flowers. You can keep the bunny. We have more than enough of them. I keep thinking about getting Amsonia, but have never carried through.
    I love that Markham's Pink. Is the flower semi double? It is so differant than Ernest Markham.
    All of my beds still look like yours that have not been edged(cleaned)yet. :-(
    I mow as close as I can get to the beds, so it does look somewhat better freshly mowed.
    Your yard and beds are very pretty, and well tended.
    Marian

• saucydog
    14 years ago

The Farm is just gorgeous and I love everything I see!

I really want to try the camassia with the tulips - what a beautiful look. I think I have a garden design where I used the white camassia with a wine colored tulip. I might give that a try.

The clematis is a beauty, too. Are certain clems more tasty to the rabbits? Should I be protecting mine?

I'll second the request for Phoebe in the garden shots....can't get enough of her :)

Saucy

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Absolutely stunning Bug!

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I love our visits to The Farm 'bug. All those beautiful Hostas,and such lovely artful combos ---but Woody and I agree -where is Ms. Phoebe ?

What is the post that Markhams Pink lives on? I can't quite get the scale there .

Thanks for posting these and treating us to such a pleasant stroll .

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The gate and two supporting posts (left and right) were part of our former Toronto garden and I brought them along to the farm when we moved here 12 years ago. I had bought the gate at one of those antique places and later found the posts to go with it. Not sure they suit the farm, but they suit ME. The posts are about 4' high I guess.

It was pouring rain on and off, so Ms Phoebe was indoors.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

What a lovely walk through your gardens. What is the plant with the yellow foliage bottom right in the eighth photo down?
    I love amsonia. How old is yours?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a tiny Japanese Maple, Anita. I worry about its location and fear it will be too cold here for it...
    The amsonia is about 2-3 years old.

Here is a link that might be useful: Full Moon Maple

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

You've created some wonderful gardens there on the farm, Marie. I always enjoy your photos so much. And I love that iris!

Eden

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Looks like a great gardening season shaping up for you this year, too, gardenbug. Everything looks so fresh and green and can't see where all the weeds are you've been talking about. [g] You're very lucky to have such a wonderful environment to enjoy! Really idyllic. :-)

• anitamo
    14 years ago

That's why it caught by eye. I was just reading about it in my Illinois book of trees/shrubs. They do need some protection from winds and early frosts. I hope yours does well. One of my amsonias actually got smaller this year...mmm. Voles?

• Jerri_OKC
    14 years ago

Wow wow wow! Everything is lovely 'Bug. I missed seeing Phoebe but, as always, I love looking at your grounds.
    Bravo!

Jerri