Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Straw Bale House

Posted by gardenbug Canada zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 15:18

My daughter & SIL have serious interest in this, and since Woody asked, I thought I'd share.

First, a view of the new house.

The greenhouse extends the growing season by 2 months. ($200!)

The six solar panels that support it all.

The on demand water heating: (A second one heats glycol for the floors)

The livingroom.

The music nook was added on

The goats

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Straw Bale House

That looks really neat! I've heard about the staw bale houses but don't know a lot about them -- will have to look up info on them....

o

• Posted by jak1 4 Ontario Can (My Page) on
    Tue, May 3, 11 at 11:56

We watched one being constructed some years ago near Merrickville. We only saw the exterior work but it was fascinating. To see it today, it looks much like any other. But those thick walls are apparently very energy efficient. This one has a very attractive interior too. Of course the music nook and the greenhouse are my favourite parts!

o

I like all the surrounding trees too.
I'd need a milk maid to deal with the goats. I like feta cheese fine, but regular milking isn't on my agenda.

o

You would never know what its made of. The greenhouse attached is a nice touch. When we were at David's new home when we were in Michigan he has a greenhouse attached to his house. That would be so cool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here