Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Idyll #320 Labors of Love in the Garden

gardenbug
16 years ago

For all of us!

Protect your back!" lift and carry safely"

adapted from: National Safety Council

Lifting and carrying are part of most spring cleaning and gardening projects. If you lift and carry the wrong way, you can damage your back. Back injuries may be difficult to treat and may have lengthy and expensive rehabilitation times. Make an effort to take care of your back to help keep it strong and healthy.

* Start each day with slow stretches. Warm-up stretches let you ease comfortably into your workday and help you avoid injuries.

* Size up the load

Tip it on its side to see if you can carry it comfortably. Get help if the load is too big or bulky for one person. Check for nails, splinters, rough strapping and sharp edges. Large containers, root balls, and other garden and landscaping items can be quite heavy - use wheeled carts to help move large items.

* Lift it right.

Make sure your footing is solid. Keep your back straight, with no curving or slouching. Center your body over your feet, get a good grip on the object and pull it close to you. Pull your stomach in firmly. Lift with your legs, not your back; if you need to turn, move your feet and don’t twist your back.

Comments (100)

• deanneart
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Evening all, I'm going to post this a couple hours early and get the ball rolling.

A big Happy Birthday to our 'TGIF' woman!

{{gwi:159104}}

Bug, gorgeous photographs! Wish I could pop up there and visit so I could see the spring beauty on your farm.

Cynthia, I was beyond 'frothing at the mouth' after waiting so long to get my order then getting such garbage plants from them. Would you please give me the link to Garden Watchdog so I can warn people not to order from GlasshouseW. ~~ How great that you finally got some significant rain!!!! Nothing like it when you really need it. Good news! It is apparently on its way here so I'm going to have to spend the day in the house working on work stuff... Jeesh...

We've been working on 'mucking out' the swamp. What a disaster! If I didn't love the pond so much I'd pay a backhoe operator to fill it in. We are going to have to figure out a way to jack up the huge rock at the top of the whole thing and build a new support for it. I'm dreading that big time. That sucker weighs a ton.

I took a bunch of pics today and will try to process a few and post tomorrow. Like Bug's it's popping around here. Lots of pretty things happing now.

Michelle, hope you had a great weekend!

Ok time to hit the sack so I can get an early start tomorrow.

Nite all,
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:159105}}

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Hello to everyone! I think I may need a vacation to rest up from my vacation. Jeesh. Today was our MG garden tour and Im pooped! Its back to the office tomorrow. Not much chance of catching up right now, but thought Id at least drop in. Its nice to hear that the winter weather is over for most of us, but seems are lots of bug issues out there? Mosquitoes, Black Fly etc. We do get mosquitoes here but I have some odd body chemistry and they have no interest in me. We would go camping when my kids were little and DH and DD would come home with some ugly looking welts; me and DS were clean as a whistle. They are around here but pretty much a non-issue for me.
    Hope I can post some of my pics of Oregon etc. in a few days.
    See you all later
    Kathy in Napa

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

I swear I posted yesterday-in my mind? I lost the post. The funniest thing is that Deanne,I said the exact words you wrote to Mary about interrobang #6!! You said, "Mary I like the last interrobang the best and would love it better if the dot was round." Great minds think alike: )

Michelle GUESS WHAT!? I have a bowling ball! Chris has one from 20something yrs ago and I bought the glass discs & epoxy. I just need to decide on a grout color but I won't until I have all the discs on. I can't wait to make a garden ball: ) Thanks for showing us yours. I also saw a base but I didn't buy it-I might go back to Pat Catans to get it. I happened to mention my plan to my neighbor and her daughter has been collecting bowling balls to make garden balls too. Kinda funny that it appears to be a fad and I didn't even know.

Ok off to work early....2.5 days and I'm free.

~babs

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Good Morning and Happy Birthday Sue! As soon as it dries up out there I'll try to get out and snap you a card. Hope you have a wonderful day!

I had Bella all weekend. It was Meg's birthday yesterday so I kept Bella Sat and Sun nites so she could have the day all to herself to do whatever she wanted.

So we're doing Idyll gazing balls? I love yours Michelle, blue is always a favorite of mine in the garden. I'd like to do a bowling ball with broken china for my garden. Babs, can't wait to see yours!

Deanne, I ordered from Glasshouse Works last September, begonias, and got nice, healthy plants. I think they were here within a week after I placed the order too. They even threw in a couple of bonus begonias and a small handwritten note on my invoice. Interesting that we had such opposite experiences with them. What a bummer about your order, I'd be really upset too!

Marie, I love the little outfit. The baby clothes you post pictures of are so different from what I'm used to seeing. I just love them though! I can't believe it's only 4 more weeks. Bet the excitement is really building now!

I have to run. I have a LONG list of things to get done today and really shouldn't be idylling at all. Have a great start to the week everyone!

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Morning all. I have the day off, but there is much to do, so no Idyll time. I really want to do some containers today and since we have gotten a bunch of rain over the weekend, the grass has grown like crazy.

I hunted asparagus this a.m. and made up a floral arrangement just for Sue's birthday card.

Great news Babs. The bowling balls are fun and easy. Make sure to show us yours. I have had mine for several years and it holds up great. I used GE Silcone II for the glue as recommended on the Garden Junk site and it works well and is easy.

Eden, the china ball would be very pretty.

I had a fun weekend with the girls. We shopped the Mall of America, ate downtown on Fri. night, went to the Hard Rock cafe for drinks, shopped the Mall some more on Sat., and my brother cooked for us on Sat. night.

I best get myself going as I have farewell party tonight.

Michelle

{{gwi:159106}}

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Just a fly-by to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUE!!!!!!!!!!! Who'da figured, I actually have a picture to post. We got a really nice double rainbow when our rains finally showed up.
    {{gwi:159107}}
    Have a good day, all...we HAVE to go to the grocery store :(
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glug

Glug

Glug

Sure is soggy and humid and
    HELP!

I've been devoured by mosquitoes!ARGHHHH!

Hope you are all doing well! I'm sure going to miss seeing everyone this year at the Idyllunion!

Hi V! Hi Norma! Hi Ei! Hi Monique! Hi Honey! Hi Babs! Hi to one and all!
    'bug (itching)

• chelone
    16 years ago

First of all, fond birthday wishes for Sue. I have some good shots in the camera, but will wait until its full before disgorging its contents. So, for now, you'll have to satisfy yourself with my good wishes!

It's pouring here. And it's about 50 degrees (same as yesterday), brrr. The excavated cavity for the footings is now completely full of water. We put an extender on the outlet for the pond/muckhole to divert any more water from draining into it. Result? the pond is way up over its banks, and the low part of the lawn is now flooded. I'm hoping it doesn't drown the Hibiscus, Japanese Iris, Veronicatstrum, and Camassia...

I braved the chilly temperature and the steady (and stout!) northeast wind yesterday and mowed the south lawn. I wimped out at the prospect of Sanitary Ridge. The Iris are getting wiped right out. :( The Peonies haven't been coaxed into opening.

We met with the contractor this afternoon and the helpmeet is now quite withdrawn. There are many things for us to accomplish before the builders arrive on site. I could have killed him; he's now rethinking the pitch of the trusses and the height of the bays for the cars... what those two things mean is that he now has to go the town offices to check on the overall height limit, and how the "ambiant grade" is determined; is the height of a cupola included in the overall height? Do we have to have a dike around an oil tank, does it have to be in its own enclosed area? what are the reg.s for burying a propane tank? I was happy with the plans we had that were ready to go. But, no. And they say women change their minds too much? LOL. I refuse to be sucked into his black mood. I'm not thrilled about what Mother Nature has handed us, but it ain't the end of the world... as far as I'm concerned we've long since committed a crime against nature. Funny how two people can view something so differently.

Brenda, those rainbows are beautiful! what a treat to see one, huh? Lucky you to have such nice long vistas to really be able to see them; it's harder here where the horizon is more limited by hills, trees, etc., unles you are looking over the ocean.

'bug, I hear you on the mosquitos! they were just starting week/two ago, and once we get some warm weather they'll be just brutal. I love the last baby outfit! I've never been a huge fan of swaddling our newest citizens in pastels, anyway... so you rock, Nannah. How do you wish to be addressed by the "long awaited" ;) ?

The rain has rather dampened by spirits, but here's warm thoughts for all "therestayous".

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

****Happy Birthday Sue****
    {{gwi:147029}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Hi folks!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes and greetings-wonderful as usual. Deanne, you group the empty containers so well. Whenever I try it looks contrived. Marie, beautiful composition using Primulas. Brenda, great catch on the rainbow shot! Aw, Michelle, for me? Mary, I recognize that alligator from IU3. Is everybody getting as excited as I am about IU4? I can't wait to see everybody again.

Most of my birthday celebrating was done on Saturday night during a dinner out with some very dear friends. Today was just another day at work although I did meet a friend for drinks before heading home to make dinner. Dessert was ice cream at the local home made place in town. Just another day really...with a few garden gifts fom co-workers tossed in for variety.

It rained all night last night and most of today. We really needed the rain so I'm not going to complain. Is anyone else dealing with a horrible weed problem this year? I can't get ahead of the freakin' things. Alot of it has to do with the uncooked load of compost I got last year but enough already!

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Because I've been distracted with other things, I haven't been posting much lately but I read every day.

Later,

Sue

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hi Sue - I thought you might remember him! Glad you had a nice dinner Saturday night. Hope you soon feel less distracted.

The weekend flew by and this week looks just as busy. I'm up to my ears with paperwork, end of (school)year activities and trying to fit a little time in garden. I'm also organizing a 50th bday party for a good friend Fridy night and am feeling frazzled. Roll on June 20th! Babs - it's still hard to believe you're done in 2 1/2 days!!

Amongst other things over the weekend I completed planting up the beds for my garden lady, shopped at the public market, listened to Annie playing with a string group at the Canal Days festival, took David to a birthday party at the Science museum, had friends over to swim, made a plum cake and got absolutely soaked in the deluge that hit Sunday. I planted the last of my veggies and redid one of my beds of poppies that had become over run with weeds, mulching with cardboard, then piling leaf mold. This summer it will be a melon patch and I'll reintroduce poppies in the fall. I'm probably optimistic in thinking we'll actually eat any melons as the wascally wabbits have been at their most destructive. In fact they are a bigger problem than the weeds. Where's Elmer Fudd when you need him?

Mary

PS Deanne - hope Doug didn't hit Sunday's storm driving out this way.

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

{{gwi:159108}}

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Some birthdays I missed...

{{gwi:159109}}

{{gwi:159111}}

• wendy2
    16 years ago

{{gwi:159113}}

Happy Birthday Sue!

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Sue!!!

{{gwi:159115}}

Eden

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SAY IT ISN'T SO! Frost warnings for tonight! What the **** am I supposed to do for that!?!?!?
    On the bright side, maybe it will kill off the mosquitoes as well as the plants...

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Good Morning, Another wet one here, and cold too. This weather's giving me a chance to catch up on housework. I got quite a bit done inside the house yesterday and plan on more today. The container gardens are starting to fill in so they must be liking the cool, wet weather and the weeds are loving it. They're as big as the plants this year.

Just a couple of comments...

Cynthia, great news that you've ordered a camera. Can't wait to see new pics of the garden and furkids. Hope Katie's back to her twirlin', swirlin' self.

Chelone, if you guys are anything like us, a big project like a garage would be causing lots of "discussion" on how it should be done. I can see where there would be some second guessing, after all it is a big project that you'll be living with if for a long time. I'd think that "the man" would have more preferences. At least here, Brad would be the one spending the most time out there, so if he was happy with it I probably would be too. Hang in there, it'll all be worth it when it's finished. Hopefully the weather will now start cooperating!

Mary, as usual, I don't know how you fit it all in! I get exhausted just reading the lists of all you accomplish. You truly are a super woman and such a great mom!

I've really enjoyed viewing all of Sue's birthday cards. Every one of them is just beautiful.

I've got to run over to the farmer's market this morning. I'm trying to locate a musa basjoo since I lost mine over the winter and am not having any luck. A vendor's supposed to bring me one this morning. Fingers crossed that it's the right one. I'll leave you with a picture of Bella being silly over the weekend...

{{gwi:159117}}

Eden

• drema_dianne
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Sue!

{{gwi:159119}}

• just_t
    16 years ago

Dang but life is going by at warp speed and I am not keeping up!

Sue...Happy Belated Birthday to you!!

{{gwi:159121}}

{{gwi:159122}}

Hope everyone is doing well. I've got the babies here today, both still running fevers and runny noses. What a day for them (and me ;o) ).

T.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good afternoon all,

This weather is enough to drive anyone nuts. Yesterday didnt get over 58 degrees with pouring rain and todays supposed to be 85 with 85% humidity. They are now predicting damaging thunder storms for us this afternoon because we are supposed to get that cool air that is going to cause Bug problems (hopefully not! Say it isnt so! Frost!!!!????) Anyway, I went to the gym early this AM and then worked in the garden until a few minutes ago. After I got dizzy after standing up to quickly I thought it was time for a break out of the heat and humidity. I got a lot done this AM though, I cut back the asters in the driveway garden, tied up the Persicaria polymorpha and the Helilanthus Lemon Queen. I also staked up the Nepeta Six Hills Giant which is living up to its name this year. Then I had to have Doug come out and help me tie up the wisteria tree. The heavy rain and wind yesterday had it leaning over in a precarious position. That sucker has gotten HUGE and needed two of us to get that trunk tied up to the fence. Hopefully now its safe from getting knocked down. I didnt dare let it go with these predicted storms.

Im hoping to be able to get outside in the back and get the rhododendrons fed and mulched before this rain hits. Oh yes, one funny thing, Doug and I finally started working on the pond on Sunday and we got the whole system drained out and a lot of debris cleaned out, well the rain yesterday filled it halfway up again. Good grief! Also, of all things, there was a Great Blue Heron in the back yard again yesterday. I was wondering where all my frogs had gotten to. It was circling around here again today and I guess Im glad the fish arent outside yet or theyd have been a nice meal for the heron.

Thanks Sue, I was wondering if youd noticed the new containers. I had a gift certificate for Home Goods and couldnt resist the tall one, then, of course, I had to have that large square one and stands for the both of them. Used up the gift certificate and then some but Im loving the new containers there. Your Striptease is in the place of honor between the containers and is going to make a great focal plant for that grouping. ~~ RE weeds, they are getting out of hand here as well. I mulched things with the composted horse manure I got from Dougs sister and there were apparently weed seeds in it. Oh well, I cant complain too loudly about free compost.

Jeesh Mary, you need a Wonder Woman suit! I cant get over how much you get done. ~~ Did you ever find that double datura? ~~ Also, thanks for asking about Doug. Hes actually working here this week so he didnt have to contend with that weather.

Chelone, I so understand the frustration with a large building project. Doug and I had quite a few discussions when we put this addition on the house. Also, totally understand watching the rain cause havoc with the schedule. When we started this addition the first thing they did was rip the shingles off the house, well an unpredicted massive rain storm hit that night and I had water coming in everywhere. It was right around midnight and I was having this massive panic attack and the doorbell rang. Well it was my contractor. When he heard the rain at his house he jumped in his truck and headed over here to see if the tarp was going to hold, which it didnt. When he saw the lights go on in the house he rang the doorbell and he and Doug got up on the roof and put a better tarp up. Then he stayed here until the rain stopped to make sure there were no more problems. We got lucky, this guy was fantastic. Anyway, when they dug the foundation for the basement under the dining room we ran into serious rain issues again and the cellar hole was filling up. Thank heavens we hadnt cut through into the rest of the basement yet. So I feel your pain. This too shall pass and you are really going to enjoy having a garage.

Eden, that Bella is a cute as it gets!

T, great hummingbird photo!!!! And your Rhododendron are lovely. About time for some pics of the twins????

Im certainly enjoying all the BDay pics everyone!!! Thanks for the eye candy. I still dont have peonies here yet but thats probably a good thing since these torrential rains would smush them like the iris. Whoops. Huge crack of thunder here so Im off the computer for now.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Well I was successful in acquiring the banana. Then I decided a needed a few bags of compost from the nursery. Somehow a Weigela 'my monet' and a Cornus kousa 'heart throb', 30% off so I had to get it, ended up in the car too. I really just need to stay away from the nurseries.

Deanne, thanks for the reminder to cut back the asters. I always forget until it's too late and they're flopping all over everything. So you found those containers at Home Goods? I haven't found anything I liked at ours here in ages. I love your placement of them too!

I forgot to congratulate Michelle on her winning container! It's beautiful, can't wait to see what you come up with this year!

Looking through the window it looks like the sun's trying to break through. Marie, I hope they're wrong on the frost prediction for you tonight. I can't imagine trying to protect everything at this point. That would be a job!

Hi T! Those poor babies are still sick? Are they teething yet?

Off to rustle up some lunch and then I need to get to work .

Eden

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

A quick pop-in, no time to chatter, but I thought I remembered there was a birthday...

Happy Belated Birthday, Sue - Hope it was Grand.

{{gwi:159124}}

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've decided that the only solution to tonight's frost is WINE.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

A quick pop in between storms here. Wow, we just got pounded with a line of storms through here and they are starting to train so we'll probably have a few more before the ene of the day. The temps just went from 82 down to 68 degrees in about twenty minutes. The sky is that wicked gray/greeny color it gets when you have a bad storm.

Eden, I had to LOL at you getting that 'My Monet'! I've been looking for that all season and HD just got some in and I came within an eyelash of picking up one on Sunday. The only thing that stopped me was the fact that they were covered with spider mites and I figure I have enough bug issues around here I don't need to start with a plant with problems. I want to put that where I had some Echinacea 'Prairie Frost' in the second tier of my terrace garden near the Rugosa. The Echinacea has just faded away over the last couple years so I'm thinking I'm going to hoik it. You'll have to let me know how 'My Monet' performs. ~~ Sooo happy you like the new containers! I'm over the moon with them to tell you the truth. Here is another view of them showing the Hosta 'Striptease' that Sue gave me a couple years ago.
    {{gwi:159125}}

I don't want to leave that fuchsia in the square container as the color doesn't please me in that location. I'm thinking I'm going to plant a large hosta with some asparagus ferns surrounding it or something like that. The hosta would repeat the plant on a higher level and the fern would add some softness to the edges of the planter. I'll see, I haven't quiet decided yet.

Bug wine sounds like a good idea to me. I still can't believe you've got a frost predicted. When is your normal last frost date?

OK now the weather gurus are predicting hail and recommending putting the cars in the garage. I guess I'd better get on that.

I'll check in later
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Last frost date Deanne? May27th. Greasy Stripes!! (as my son said when he was 2) To think it was 90F just 2 days ago.

Hot soup here for lunch, and now back to knitting. What's the point of trying to garden?

• chelone
    16 years ago

Hot mulled wine, 'bug! I so hope the forecasted frost is a non-starter for your lovely gardens. I'll cross my fingers for you.

Deanne, we've had only rumbles of thunder so far today and it never got very warm; as soon as it started to heat up there was a sea-turn and it cooled right down again. I love your new containers... you know I lap that formal stuff right up, anyway. Had I the cash, I'd be "all over" a parterre garden. Yeah, REALLY!

Wendy, is that clematis on your fence, "The President"? My "Daniel D... whatever" has opened a few bloom, and is smothered in buds. The colors are similar, and I looked and looked for the prez. but "settled" for Daniel. The irises that are the same variety I gave you are in full bloom now, and are being shredded by every wind-driven downpour that's come our way. :( I have one pink peony blossom and I'm hoping the rest hold off until the next front moves through.

Cindy, I've been pondering long over your Mom. And you. It's nice to see you post, and I want you know your family are in my thoughts.

The prices for the 10/12 and 12/12 pitch trusses came in and the helpmeet is now liking the 8/12 original considerably more. ;) I am going to think carefully about the 10/12 and calculate in the increase in height over the house's peak; the steeper pitch is more in keeping with a barn. I'm fine with compromise (it's the crucial ingredient in marriage, afterall!).

I have to go it's REALLY DARKENING UP now. LATER, kids!

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Cindy, Ive been thinking about your and your parents. Hugs to you.

Deanne, the container grouping is wonderful. So artistic.

bug, hopefully Jack Frost stays away.

Eden, what an adorable picture of Bella.

Mary, it sounds like your days are really action packed. How nice it would be to have the summer off.

I have a horrible weed problem in certain areas. The peonies are in full bloom here along with certain irises. Only the white dwarf iris bloomed this year. I did some research and found that if there is a hard freeze late that they wont bloom. It is looking like some of the tall bearded wont bloom either.

I did get a few containers made up yesterday, but they need to fill out a little before they are Idyll worthy. LOL Im not a very good indoor plant mamma, but they will perk up.

Later

Michelle

• chelone
    16 years ago

Time to play Beethoven's "Pastoral"! the sun's out and the thunder is now booming out over the big briney. :)

Eden, you nailed it with respect to the garage, we'll be living with it for a long time to come. And that's why I'm willing to contemplate the changes he's mentioned. OTH, he and I are both pretty careful when it comes to the really tough questions: How much does it cost relative to its importance in the long run? and, What are we willing to forego to have that particular item? We asked those 2 questions repeatedly when we built our home and were rewarded with a pretty nice house for not a huge amount of dough. We were mindful of being "house poor" and our patience and adherence to budget has, over time, accorded us a great deal of personal freedom over the years. Neither one of us is willing to chuck that for covered parking spaces. One of the first things he repeated today was the importance of money for the landscaping that will be required by this rape of the land. So, sometimes it just takes TIME to sort it all out, rehash it, and see where it leads you. Fighting over something that is just a thought is a waste of time and energy, no good comes of it. And each partner gets "cold feet" at different times; for me, it was seeing the trees and understory that screened us from the road cut down and the fleeing turtle smashed in the southbound lane. Now, I'm pretty much "bomb-proof", to use a horseman's term. Funny how that works, sometimes.

I have capitulated completely and mended the two elderly awnings for the first floor. Tomorrow I will mend the two for the second storey and will waterproof them (for the last time!) midweek. Time to call the installers, damnit. :) I am amazed at how good they look for 11-12 years old (even though the stains on the fringe bother me a good deal). I've taken good care of them and they've served us well. This season will be had "on a wing and prayer" though, I'm afraid.

And yes, I'm "in the weeds" with respect to weeds, my friends. Mulch? what's that?

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Well Bug, you said it in a nutshell, "What's the point in trying to garden?" The second round of thunderstorms that came through here dropped nickel sized hail on us for the better part of five minutes or so. The ground was white in places. Almost every broad leaved plant on the place is full of holes. The worst damage was to my lovely Plectranthus. They are just smashed to smithereens. The coleus, brugs, some hosta that weren't under the trees, ligularia (Grrrr...my Britt Marie Crawford was finally looking good this year)are all riddled with holes. The hail knocked off almost every flower off of every pelargonium I have, and on and on....

Michelle, didn't you deal with hail last year after your hostas had leafed out? And I think Honey and Eden did one year as well. It's a bummer isn't it?

Oh well, the annuals will all eventually grow out and it doesn't really show up in the long view. I'm telling myself to be positive. At least I don't have any garden tours this year.LOL

Eden, I meant to tell you that I looked up my original order form from Glasshouseworks and I placed that order on March 14th! I only received those plants on Saturday. I should have cancelled the order a month ago.

OK I guess I'm going to go and make a stab at picking up some of this debris and pruning back the damaged container plants. I tried earlier and found myself just aimlessly walking about sighing. What a pain. I sure hope all others in the path of these storms don't have any damage. I know Hartford area got slammed so I'm hoping Sue and MOnique's gardens are OK. I'm not sure if Wendy and Saucy were in the path of the storms but I hope not. Be careful Chelone, these were nasties.

Deanne

Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

Oh Deanne! you must be heartbroken. (((hug))).

I hear more distant thunder and the contractor who called with the numbers for the new trusses mentioned they'd has some hail, but only baby stuff.

Hang tough, girlfriend!

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Deanne, I just hate to hear that all of your beautiful plants have been damaged. I'm so sorry! That is just a bummer! I remember when I ordered from Glasshouse that I went over and checked on Garden Watchdog and the ratings were from one extreme to the other. I was also talking to the manager from Goldner Walsh one day and GHW came up. She had been there and said it's unbelieveable how many plants they have and how they're just all stuffed in every whichway. No organization or anything. I guess it's just the luck of the draw ordering from them which isn't good at all when we're spending our hard earned plant money there!

Marie, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you tonight that the temp doesn't drop too low.

Cindy, my thoughts are with you and your family too.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a weedy garden this year.

Eden

• deanneart
    16 years ago

WEll I still haven't tackled the cleanup. I zipped around with the camera. Here is a before and after shot.

This plectranthus is one of my favorite things. It is an offshoot of P. 'Lemon Twist' that has stayed this lovely yellow-green. I've done several cuttings from it and they stay true to this color. None have reverted back to the normal variegation yet. I'm in love with the color this picks up in the sun with the newly emerging leaves almost butter yellow. Anyway, this photo was taken a couple days ago and the second one was after the hail storm this afternoon.
    {{gwi:159126}}

{{gwi:159127}}

Boohoo!!!!

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Deanne, that it so disheartening. I know things are growing so fast in my containers right now, if you clean them up they'll bounce back quickly I bet.

Eden

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

I just popped in to catch up reading, but can't leave without ((Deanne)). What an absolute bummer.

'bug, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya on the frost!
    Really gotta run-
    Brenda

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Deanne - I'm so sorry to hear about your garden. I've only read about that sort of hail damage - Lauren Springer in particular has described just such storms. (((Hugs))) to you. If anyone can nurture plants back to health in record time it will be you - I have every faith that by mid-summer you'll never know the difference. I don't doubt though it will be a huge amount of extra work:0( Let us know if you hear how Sue and Monique fared.

GB - we were threatened frosts in outlying areas too but I think we're relatively safe here. I'll probably still cover a few coleus just to be safe. Hope you're enjoying something warming right now. I came home and changed from a summer dress into jeans and fleece and dug out my warmest slippers again. Sheesh!

Mary

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Deanne, I watched all afternoon (well, when I was in for a break) the storms pound your area. Sorry for your loss - but I back Mary's sentiments, by midsummer, you'll be right back in the swing of things!

GB, frost is just "not fair" (to quote my 13yo)! Count me in as a finger crosser.

Happy Birthday Sue! Sounds like you had a good celebration with friends and food, always a nice combo.

We're winding down here with school and I'm busy with work and garden, too. Tonight was softball(Sarah - quite the arm) and concert(nice pieces)....too much for moms and dad this week.

I'm sorry, but my eyes are closing as I type. I've got to get to bed and start the day again. 3 yds of mulch are waiting because my beds are weedy too!

Oh, made me think: Those who use compost/manure like myself: I had great success with Preen, unless you want to let things go to seed. I use composted horse manure as a mulch when I can get it....

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Hello Idyll friends
    I am going to try to catch up a bit this evening-Ive already done my chores and had dinner, will put the ballgame on in the background and type away !
    First of all, Happy Birthday Sue ! Im late out of the chute . Like Chelone I have only good wishes to share..I uploaded some pics tonight but none are Idyll-birthday card quality. I will however share them with all at the end of this post.
    What great Garden Tour we had on Sunday- the weather was perfect-always risky at the North end of our valleyit can get god-awful hot up there.We lucked out and the heat was there , but only briefly in late afternoon. It was a rude awakening to go back to work on Monday, since I spent virtually all of my vacation outdoors.

Brenda-love your rainbow shot ! Our rainbow time of year is late winter here since we get no rain now till about Oct or Nov.

bug, frost warnings ? Hope its a no show for you. I always enjoy your lovely crisp photos and that baby outfit is tooo cute.

Michelle, I am pondering the bowling ball thing. The sphere shape is so pleasant to me in the garden-the possibilities are really endless . mosaic tiles would be cool too.

OOO-wee Chelone, changing plans on a construction project can be $$$s ! So can finding out you are not up to code after the fact. Our building codes out here are highly engineered due to earthquake issues. On the other hand if you are going to spend the bucks it seems important to get what you want and you are so right, compromise is key..

Deanne, downright crappy re: the hail storm .I concur with Eden, things grow so very fast in spring in 2 weeks you may not know what hit you-I hope so anyway..that Plectranthus is fantastic. I need one.

Here are a few pics :

This is my BIL's back garden. They live in the west hills of Portland so thier lot is steep. I was trying to get a good shot of thier ridiculous delphiniums of which I am insanely jealous.The rose on the right is Reine des Violettes

{{gwi:159128}}

A few Rhodies in Washington Park

{{gwi:159129}}

A hanging basket at a nursery south of Portland

{{gwi:159130}}

And finally,a cool pic from our garden tour this weekend. I love the view..

{{gwi:159131}}

night all !
    Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    16 years ago

I absolutely hate it when you have to scroll side to side to read the text! Can someone please explain why that happens? is it tied into resizing photographs?

Here is your nugget of trivia for the day:

This is an important day in the annals of American Turf history, for it was on this day, June 6, 1919 that
    Man O' War made his first start as a two year old. It was a 5 furlong race at Belmont Park (he was, incidently, bred by Major August Belmont, for whose father the track is named). He went to the post the favorite and won easily.

It is also the 63rd. anniversary of D Day.

I hope there was no frost for 'bug.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

41F here this morning. It's supposed to warm up from here on out though. I haven't had digitalis purpurea in my garden for years and now I have at least a dozen foxgloves blooming in my back garden this year. I noticed the first year plants last year, and now there are even more new plants plus the second year blooming ones. Very strange. They're spread all around back there and are very pretty. I'm not complaining, lol. I'll have Bella here everyday through Saturday so Idyll time will probably be scarce. Hope Marie's gardens made it through last night without frost damage!

Eden

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well we lugged the pots indoors last night. Of course the Full Moon Maple, the grasses even, the coleus, the clematis babies, and more. DH was a hero helper.

This morning, though I've not been outside yet, all looks fantastic. The sun is shining, clear and bright, no sign of frost on the grass that I can see. I'm told it is about 45F out there now. I'm glad it didn't freeze of course, but I wish somehow that the forecasters could come close to being accurate. That was a lot of worry, and to have them off by over 10 degrees, well, difficult on my spirit.

Here we have been enjoying the cedar waxwings. Charlotte was very bouncy yesterday, wanted many walks, expressed her displeasure if left alone downstairs, ate enthusiastically, and tried to jump in our bed last night...but settled for her own bed when that trick failed. She's much better on the meds, but trying to lower the amount does not seem to work so well, though it was worth the try. ;-)

Later friends, and thanks for your concern.
    'bug

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eden, I've had some foxgloves returning each year for 10 years now in an island bed...and I move each one to a different location or compost them. Those seeds must last forever. I love the flowers though!

Chelone, you are right about photo size affecting the need to scroll things off to the right on the screen. If only one person on a thread does not resize a photo, then this happens. Do not ask me why....

The scene from Kathy's garden tour reminds me of Jain somehow.

Deanne...sheesh...Mother nature is nasty sometimes! Take a look at the site below and beware of June 30th. With my luck, our grandchild will be born then. My son was, 36 years ago!

Have a super day everyone!
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hi everyone

Lets enjoy the photos and move this one on and out before we develop a crick in the neck.

Kathy - I just love the Egyptian head in the centre of the last photo - how cool! You're right, it is an outstanding view. Glad the tour was fun.

Plans for the 50th birthday party I'm helping organize are shaping up. As much as I enjoy entertaining I'm totally relieved its not here at our house - I think that would put me over the edge. I emailed all the invitees and suggested everyone brought one cut flower to make up a bouquet of 50 flowers. My birthday friend had said no presents but I know she loves cut flowers so it should be special.

Mary

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good grief! What the heck is with this darned weather. It is supposed to get down to high 30's or low 40's tonight then tomorrow is supposed to be 85 degrees out. Enough already with the temperature yo-yos. Thank heavens I'm not any farther north or I'd be doing the great plant shuffle like Bug did last night. I'm a bit beyond discouraged tonight. I've been working on cleaning up the mess from the hail storm a little bit at a time because if I tried to go and do it all at one time I'd just scream from frustration. But, nothing is dead so I need to just carry on and know that as everyone has said, things will grow out and I won't be able to see the damage in a couple weeks. Thanks to one and all for your hugs and empathy over the hail storm damage. Made me feel better to have someplace to vent where people would REALLY understand.

WE had a bit of a stressful day here because Doug had to go in for cataract surgery this morning. But all is well and he is home and comfortable. He said that worrying about it the last few weeks was worse than the actual procedure. Good thing, he's got to go and have the other eye done the end of the month.

Wow, great pics Kathy, looks like you had a great time. Nice to 'see' you.

Mary, love the idea about each person bringing a flower so you have 50 flowers for her birthday. Marvelous! I'm in the process of planning a birthday party for Doug as he is celebrating his 60th this year. I don't think he wants flowers though. LOL

Bug, How great Charlotte is doing so much better and great news that you didn't get that frost. What about tonight? ~~ BTW,I keep getting an error message on that link.

Eden, How neat you are having digitalis self sowing about the place. I think they look prettier that way. And how perfect for your gardens.

Michelle, any possibility you can send me some of that copper tape to fix my hummingbird stake??? Doug can solder it for me. I have it in one of my pink containers in the front and I'd really like to get it fixed. Thanks again for doing that for me. One of my treasured garden ornaments along with the stake we got from Honey the first IU.

OK I've got to run and help Doug put in some eye drops. Have a great evening all
    Deanne

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

{{gwi:159132}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here you go, the Full Moon story from England:

Extra police put on the beat for full moon
    By Paul Stokes

Folklore has long associated the lunar cycle with strange happenings.

A connection has been identified by a policeman between the full moon and bad behaviour

Insp Andy Parr, of Sussex Police, looked at crime statistics for the Brighton and Hove area's nightlife.

He said: "I compared a graph of full moons and a graph of last year's violent crimes and there is a trend. People tend to be more aggressive generally."

Behaviour was also worse on pay days, Insp Parr discovered.

The force is now planning to put extra officers on the streets for key dates during the summer - including the next full moon on June 30.

Insp Parr said his findings were also backed up by his experience on patrol.
    advertisement

"When you try to reason with people on a full moon they become more aggressive and less rational," he said.

"When you try to reason with them on a full moon they become more argumentative."

Peter Davenport, 38, who is a former pub landlord in Hove, endorsed the police findings.

He said: "I'm not one to believe in folklore or superstitions or anything, but I honestly believe the full moon sends some people a bit loopy."

Some studies have suggested a link between the lunar cycle and criminality.

A three-month psychological study of 1,200 inmates at Armley jail in Leeds in 1998 showed a rise in violent incidents in the days either side of a full moon.

Research has also been carried out into the association between the full moon and strange behaviour as portrayed in literature.

Glenn Wilson, a psychiatrist at King's College London who carried out the study, sponsored by Jose Cuervo, the Mexican tequila distiller, concluded: "There is good reason to believe people's personalities do change around the time of the full moon, not because of any astronomical force, but because it creates the optimum lighting conditions for feeling carefree and mischievous."

Insp Parr hopes his findings could lead to further research which would be of use to police officers.

He added: "When we have the resources and if we can plan for it we will put on an extra officer or two."

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

I have a friend who works in the emergency room at a hospital and she says it's always busy and crazy there when it's a full moon.

Deanne, good thoughts for Doug's recovery and for your plants too :)

Kathy, great pictures from your trip. Thanks for posting them!

As Bella would say, time for nite-nite here.

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Hi everyone..
    Just a quick drop in tonite..

Chelone, the reason you had to scroll side to side was because my last photo did not re-size properly and our text went out to the edge of that photo. I am the culprit ! Operator error is a definate possibility here.
    I have more pics to post but will not get there for a couple of days.

And speaking of weird weather, we actually got some rain showers this evening--very unusual in June.Not measureable though, so I still had to water stuff.

Okay, gotta go , best to all...
    Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Nite all
    Mary

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Deanne, Id love to send the copper tape. I still have your address. Sorry about the hail. We had it more towards fall a couple of years ago. Here we really worry about the crops when we get hail. Actually, the containers I did are really taking a beating because a terrible wind came up today, along with 88 degree temps. Storms are expected tonight. I even heard that there are tornado chasers in the area from Kansas.

Ive not been successful in the past with foxgloves, but I do have a bunch that I wintersowed that could be planted out.

Kathy, great pictures, the last one reminds me of something that I could do with all my rocks. LOL

RE: bowling balls, I have heard that you can get them at thrift stores and that some bowling alleys give their old ones away. I happened to have mine by way of a gag gift.

Nite all
    Michelle

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs