Tree Peony Bud

{{gwi:159141}}

Primula

{{gwi:159143}}

White Trout Lilies

{{gwi:159147}}

Viola Dancing Geisha

{{gwi:159152}}

Eager for more too, but it is time for the first round of mowing as soon as things dry out.

Comments (16)

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Bug you sure have some unique plants. I always enjoy the show. A garden tour at you farm just has to be interesting.
    Norma

• anitamo
    15 years ago

Beautiful as usual. Isn't it great to await the first bloom of the season on the tree peony? I watch for it everyday. Make sure to post again when it blooms. I'll do the same.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Gardenbug...you have such a beautiful collection of plants. Is Leucojum still blooming for you? Would love to see the Fairy Bells again. Do they remain facing down? Camassia is one of my favorites. I had a clump two years ago and it didn't come back in the spring. Love your Epimedium Black Prince. I just bought Purple Prince last year and it is so small I think there might be three stems on it. [g] Is that Primula 'Discovering Stripes'? I started those from seed this year from T&M and sadly had no germination. Very pretty! I am going to try them again. Thanks for sharing your garden photos... :-) I really do enjoy them.

pm2

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

What a lovely way to while away the hours...viewing all these gorgeous pics everyone has posted. Thanks Bug for sharing a lovely view of the farm. I hope someday to see your gardens in person...you really have a magical place! Everything is lovely, but I'm enchanted with the striped primula. I remember your drumstick primula pic too...so lovely. Wish more primulas would grow well here. Cool epimedium too...I've never seen (nor heard of) the black prince...neat! Are the flowers open? Or are they just opening?

Ei

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Such wonderful plants!

I've just started establishing a dry shaded area. Are these in wet areas?

Martie, envious ;-)

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

I have that primula but need all the rest :) Just beautiful blooms Marie! I have a few new "special" epimediums I got from Darrell Probst last year that are blooming now. I just love epimediums and your Black Prince is a beauty!

Eden

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Today I was watching the tree peony some more, hoping that late frosts don't do it in! It will have huge pink blooms. I thought it had died a few years ago, but back it came the next year.

The leucojum just began to bloom here. I don't have much of it. It is in a fairly dry spot.

The camassia is a treat for me as well PM. It is in a wetter area, which it seems to enjoy. I hope it blooms at the same time as the Spring green tulips as I love that combination.

The Fairy Bells are at their peak in that photo. They don't open more than you see there. There are many7 kinds i'm told.

Epimediums are perhaps my favourite flowers. They can be mighty expensive though, so I'm trying to love the less moneyed ones! I'm not sure if this one opens wider or not. We'll have to wait and see!

Sorry, I don't recall the name of the primula. I seem to remember "denim" in the name...It was quite common last year, so perhaps there will be more around in the nurseries this spring?

Most of this area is moist (ie WET), near the creek, the area that has the dramatic flooding each spring.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I just love getting new glimpses of the farm! Thank you, GB.

Saucy

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

OK, so how hard are epimediums to grow and what do they perfer? You people talk about them a lot and I know nothing about them. Maybe they are not suited for here? N

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are dangerous Norma, can be a real addiction!
    Look below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epimedium care

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A few more from today:

Well what do you know. It is Purple prince, not Black Prince:
    {{gwi:159156}}

The first buds ever on my stick of Sutherland Gold.
    {{gwi:159158}}

The variegated astrantia is looking good in the dining room window. This is one plant that groundhogs ADORE!
    {{gwi:159160}}

And the blues have really begun now:
    Omphalodes:
    {{gwi:159162}}

Pulmonaria:
    {{gwi:159164}}

Muscari:
    {{gwi:159166}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Gardenbug....yes, I was thinking maybe it might be an issue with moisture for the Camassia for me, I have dry shade and part sun mostly. Epimediums are the best performer in dry shade that I have. Indestructible, but mostly neat foliage all summer after spring bloom. I just bought three new ones from Darrell Probst last year too. I also have to shop the lower priced varieties. [g] The only Primulas I have were winter sown a couple of years ago and they are the candelabra type. I don't think they enjoy dry either, but I keep trying to find one that will put up with it. :-)

Aha!! Purple Prince and it is blooming for you and mine is just showing a few stems with the beginning of a leaf. It was small when I put it in last fall and it was under a leaf mulch too long maybe. Wow, that is really pretty, I am looking forward to mine next year...lol.

Love that color pink tulip and never saw a variegated astrantia. Not putting that in, if it attracts groundhogs! [g]

Pretty blues... What is growing with the muscari?

Great photos! I imagine you have something new blooming every day.

Thanks for the new photos. :-)

pm2

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PM, the primulas adore moisture...and so you are LUCKY! I have the candelabras in the lawn...and everywhere. I love them, but enough is enough!
    Yes, camassia loves moisture too.
    Not sure of the name of the white plant with the muscari. Someone else is bound to know it. It creeps around a bit in the walkway too.
    Good thing I live across the border and far away from Darrell Probst!LOL

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful, 'bug -- I especially love that variegated astrantia and tulip combo.

Is it aubretia w/the muscari? that's a pretty combo - I need to make a note.

I look forward to seeing more progression as the season leaps forward at your house!

Cindy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

What an amazing and lovely garden Marie!!!! I'm so jealous of all the photos of Sambucus I'm seeing here. I really miss mine.

Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Gardenbug, thanks for that info on the candelabra primulas. I will have to try to remember to deadhead them. Darrell Probst does mail order I imagine, Gardenbug. [g] Of course being across the border, might be an obstacle and save you from yourself. lol I thought his prices were fairly reasonable. The only things that were outrageous were the very very current items that have just come home with him from a trip to Japan. After he has had those in the catalog awhile even those come down in price. I was hoping to buy just two a year to keep adding to what I have. They really like my yard and are so easy and carefree.

Thanks Cindy for the name of that white plant.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting