Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

Idyll #479 'All things seem possible in May'

michelle_zone4
13 years ago

We are supposed to have cold temps for the next little while. ThatÂs not so bad as long as the wind doesnÂt blow. Unfortunately it is blowing today. Here in the country we get a lot of corn stalks and leaves that blow in. I wonÂt be taking any plants outdoors until things warm up some and we have less wind.

Thanks for the comments about my raised bed. I took a picture this morning as it just gets prettier. The dwarf irises are starting to bloom. Candy, the reason the bed is raised is there is this big cement enclosure for a well and the pit for the rural water. The dirt of the garden insulates it from freezing.

When we had cows they did escape several times and mostly trampled my garden not so much eating. IÂm sure they do less damage than deer.

IÂve order seeds for Rumex sanguineus aka bloody dock. HowÂs that for a yucky sounding name?

Happy birthday to little Miss Ivy!

Candy, I may not have the 12 million helicopters, but I do have 12 million ash seeds that have germinated.

Deanne, I think the coleus police should arrest me for the mistreatment IÂve given them. Yours look so happy and healthy. I do have a cordyline though that does look pretty nice. Yours is a beauty. There are a few other things that look exceptional as well.

Michelle

"The world's favorite season is the spring. All things seem possible in May." -- Edwin Way Teale

Comments (101)

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

I've been reading along but feel like I dont have much positive to add -- it seems we've all be suffering very odd temps and weather conditions - that make it very challenging this Spring -- is that an understatement or what? The winds and the frosts/temps can be downright dispiriting....

Saucy -- did you by any chance get a fossil stamp for an ammonite? I've been looking and looking for one to do some stepping stones with - it seems that's one of those quirky things that struck my fancy in the last year and I keep thinking Im going to make some somehow - for some reason they're horribly expensive....

Sounds like folks have made a bunch of great scores in the plant department - I agree that plants do not qualify as "things" that one can have too much of or be too materialistic about.

Love your photos, Kathy -- and of course, Deanne's are to die for for birds and wisteria "wishnics"

Norma - I laughed at the love/hate relationship re clematis - I so totally agree -- I've been hating the ones that seem to never flourish and disappeared in the ground; the new ones ready to burst forth with color this week (if unfrosted from last nite) Im dying to see -- and I start making another list of ones I think I want to order (again) or anew....

Julie - Im so glad to hear you're making some progress and that the neck brace seems to be helping - keeping fingers crossed!

Woody -- I hope hope the bone density issue can somehow be laid to rest for you -- any chance of getting of the drug earlier than later?

Well, back to contemplating the sad fact that it's Monday here (again) somehow and too darn chilly for May.

-cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

gb - did you escape the frost last night? Thank heaven for the lake effect - no frost here. There is still a frost warning for tonight but not in a red banner so hopefully we can miss that one too!

Cindy - The surgeon had said at the post-op follow-up visit that, if need be, I could switch to a different drug. If the blood test in a couple of weeks shows continued deterioration, we will try to go that route (assuming the side effects on the alternate drug aren't any worse!) I gather the alternate drug has to be in the same family as this one so I'm not sure if that also means it would have similar side effects!

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Just erased my own post. How dumb!!!

Last night's frost was serious and I had to cover plants tonight because of widespread frost warnings once again. Sigh... I am eager to plant things...vegetables included!

Did a great deal of mowing today because the rest of the week is likely to be rainy.

I've been practicing with DH's camera. I find it produces "yellow" pictures when I use the zoom feature. I need to practice some more obviously!
    Some shots from today- tulips, clematis, etc

{{gwi:159300}}

{{gwi:159302}}

Pamela Jackman
    {{gwi:159304}}Blue Dancer
    {{gwi:159305}}

Carl and Carlotta
    {{gwi:159306}}

Amsonia
    {{gwi:159307}}

Sleep well!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Oh so pretty Âbug ! We actually had frosty night last week, later than I can remember since living here. Rain off and on today and cold too, itÂs 51 now, which is low for May when the sun is out. One the plus side, all the stuff I planted over the last week got a nice rain soaking, and all my rain collection buckets are full again.

Glad that there are options for you Woody, I hope you can find a med regimen that will lessen all these side effects.

Cindy, I sure have had some setbacks this spring too, we have had really late frosts and the rain is turning my roses into blobs. That does however make is easier to do early and extreme deadheading to push new blooms in time for IU ..I started hacking them back this weekend.

Ok folks, this is it for me tonight..sleep well .

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

'bug, things are looking very pretty at your place. Did you have some frost damage?

I've not even been out to check things out today as it's rainy, cold and extremely windy.

Cindy, I had to do an on-line search for those stepping stones you mentioned. They are really cool.

Kathy, the Quarryhill pictures are quite interesting. Thanks for sharing those with us. Its always nice to see different types of public gardens.
    Your mention of snapdragons reminds me of the 'Black Prince' Snapdragons that I planted in the Secret Garden 2 years ago. Last year they reseeded like crazy. This year even more.

Thinking of reseeding in the garden, I find it interesting that some things I think, oh, no more seedlings and others I get excited over a few seedlings. I've noticed a couple of seedlings from my gas plant and one from my pulsatilla which excite me. Then there are the reseeding annuals that I depend on such as poppies, larkspur and love in a mist. Then there are the annoying ones such as morning glories, ash seedlings and german chamomile. There are also the things that I'd like to reseed that I don't see yet such as the angelica gigas and only a few nasturtiums.

Good night
    Michelle

• candy_j
    13 years ago

What a lovely day I had yesterday! DD made a surprise visit home and thanks to a comp day, stayed until this afternoon. DS sent flowers and we enjoyed a long phone conversation. Both kids are getting excited about our annual family vacation coming up in June. We seem to be a bigger crowd every year with the kids and cousins usually bringing a friend.

Julie, I bet youÂre counting the days to get the brace off. Do you attribute the daily headache to the weight and immobilization? I canÂt recall if you have to sleep with it on?Âsure hope not!

Deanne, that wisteria is spectacularÂwow. It looks so well formed and symmetrical, just dripping in frothy white blooms! Must ask about your fencing in that second photo, is it bamboo? Very curious as to how it weathers and how you have it anchored. IÂm always making mental notes on a quick solution to privacy if my neighbor in back decides to trim her overgrown shrubbery, yikes.

Chelone, sorry the workplace continues to be stressful. IÂm not sure I would be able to muster the self control you show in this situation. Gotta be taking a toll on you, though!

ÂBug, from your photos, IÂd never guess you had frost damage! Did you use sheets to cover many of the plants? I know how you feel about the hosta, I have quite a few. With so much beauty coming strictly from leaves, itÂs so disappointing to see them damaged. And sometimes with frost itÂs not immediately visible, only to show up later. Hoping for the best and an update soon!

Woody, that swag is a terrific idea..canÂt wait to see it later. You and Kathy make roses look so easy to grow!

Oh, yes! The annual under the bag is Cleome Senorita Rosalita and she is a must have! Pink-lavender, blooms like crazy, branches up and no deadheading! And wouldnÂt you knowÂsterile. I so wish it was perennial or self seeded. Anyone grow it? Michelle, didnÂt mean to mislead you about being hard to find, but I only stumbled onto SR by accident last year. Supply (and it was small) was limited to one local nursery and the same held true this yearÂso far, anyway. I was surprised several of the long time employees werenÂt familiar with it.

Kathy, great photos as always. I do love the little bridge; too bad I canÂt think of a way to incorporate one into my yard! Oooh, just had a thoughtÂSenorita Rosalita probably IS a perennial in your zone for you and Denise! Mine got 2 ft. tall last year so it might be too big to replace your snapdragons but heyÂa little shuffle here and thereÂ

Waving at Saucy, Norma and Cindy and all IdyllÂs reading along.

We are getting a nice gentle rain tonight with more predicted throughout the week. Good thingÂstill very dry and all the wind didnÂt help. Right now IÂm more than ready for bed, up too late with DD last night.

Candy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

The cats were up early this morning muttering at the birds...so now I am too. A peek out the window shows that there is frost here and there....less than the night before, but still there. As Candy mentions, it is hard to know yet how much damage there is. Some of the foliage on the new Katsura was affected yesterday, even though it was bundled up. I have a great many hostas and was only able to spread sheets over a few of them, so that is a "wait & see". I also used burlap and empty pots of all sizes for protection.

I believe I first saw Cleome Senorita Rosalita at Deanne's house at an Idyllunion. She sweetly sent me some seeds to try. I had no success that time. :( I think it is a wonderful plant though and if I found it locally early on, it would be well worth buying for a whole season!

Lots on the agenda for today...before the rain arrives!

Happy Tuesday one and all!
    'bug

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Well the frost got me. I can see mushy leaves on the phlox and nepeta from my window. Oh well, they'll recover. It is depressing though.

I spent the day working in the Goddess Garden yesterday and she's looking pretty good. I am working on a neglected section where I hope to make an area for a small bistro set. I think it would be nice to be able to sit in the garden this time of year. Later on, when it's hot, the mosquitoes are unbearable. I have often wondered if one of those mosquito magnet machines would help me. It'd be a nuisance to deal with, but great if it worked.

I love that cleome Candy! Deanne looks for it, too, I think for her fabulous containers.

Shopping trip today to the herb wholesaler. This is where we'll get African Blue basil for my bee garden (and other goodies).

Cindy, I do have an ammonite in the mix. I think I paid 30 dollars for a set of 6. Not cheap. I'll bet you could find one at a museum store. I'll let you borrow mine after I give it a spin...it has a couple of different stamps that you might like. You and I must have the same idea in our head :)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

GG photo request Saucy!!!!!

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

From what I've read the lovely Senorita is sterile.

Saucy, how big are your stamps? They sound very cool. I've made stepping stones for many years with stained glass and I've made one with Kenzie's hand print the first year of her garden.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

It was very fortunate that DD made handprints of Skyler and Reed for DSIL's Christmas gift one year...

It is windy again so although it is 48F, it seems like below freezing to me. Time for hot tea, maybe some lunch!

13 years ago

A bit of frost on the roofs this morning but I don't think it's done much damange to anything. The wisteria flowers seem to have gone into hibernation since the cold arrived. They haven't opened anymore in the last few days although the leaves have continued to develop. I like this picture that Randy took last night as the sun was going down - Sleeping Beauty...

{{gwi:159308}}

I was hoping to get a good rain today but it looks like the raid clouds are hung up on the Escarpment again. I hope that doesn't become a pattern for this summer or it'll be a very dry one here! Air quality was dreadful here this morning. The approaching rain was obviously pushing some very nasty stuff ahead of it. I had intended to work outside but decided it was healthier to stay indoors!

• jak1
    13 years ago

Good afternoon everyone!

After last night's heavy frost I have a lot of sad looking plants in my garden....the Frances Williams Hosta is pretty mushy, the White Feather is just a sad pool of slop, all of the bleeding heats, red and white, are droopy, the Greater Fairy Bells are lying on the ground....and the list goes on. I feel even more frustrated because I am unable to do anything - but what would I do anyway? Just wait it out - it is likely that most things will rebound. Tomorrow I will trim what I can, I had put out one very large pelargonium and it will be trimmed almost to the ground - and will water and hope for the best. Mother Natuyre must be able to handle this, right?

On Mother's day I got the cutest card from DGS - have to share:)

A kid needs a Grandma
    To share in the fun
    To spoil you a little
    And love you a ton.
    To laugh at your jokes
    And admire your art
    And to tell everybody
    You're darling and smart. (I especially liked that line!)
    To take you neat places
    To see different stuff,
    To make sure you're bear-hugged
    and cuddled enough.
    A kid needs a Grandma
    a whole great big lot
    That's why I love
    the neat Grandma I've got!

After this lovely sentiment, I am off to supervise the Homework Wars.

I hope you all have a pleasant Tuesday evening!

Cheers,

Julie

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Today I had the strangest encounter in my shade garden where a simple WALAT became extraordinary!

Although I never heard a sound, some ancient reptilian instinct made me turn quickly and there coming slowly between an evergreen and large hosta was this positively alien looking thing.. I literally froze while the brain scrambles to identify what the eyes see with something it recognizes. In the flash of a secondÂbeast, creature, brown, black nose, small eyesÂno ears! OMG what is wrong with that poor animal? hit by a car but whatÂs he dragging with him?!! Then it veered away and I saw the paddle tailÂbeaver! I could not have been more shocked if IÂd seen a monkey in the garden. Run Candy, runÂcamera way up on the patio, run back with it only to see him disappear far into the density of the neighborÂs overgrown shrubbery which extends into the adjacent property. I have no picture to document this unusual sighting! There is no river within a dozen miles, no streams or wooded areas and while thereÂs a small creek in the neighborhood it is blocks away through busy streets and normal landscaped property lots.

Quickly I called DH to share this unheard of event. He was of the opinion it wasnÂt possible for a beaver to be in our vicinity (no kidding) and since I was so startled the image of a beaver came to mind (oh pleeeez!) probably just a large cat (not unless he was dragging a huge piece of tire tread behind him!) camouflaged by foliage. (No, no and no.)

After ending that conversation rather abruptly I called the county forestry extension for an explanation or information regarding this usual occurrence. I might as well have told this guy IÂd seen a UFOÂseems beavers live by the water (really?) as they canÂt walk distances with their little legs (this one did) so what I saw was probably just a large dog in the bushes. (Uh-huh, IÂve already heard the cat version)

IÂm doing a slow burn, itÂs a wonder my hair doesnÂt ignite. DH was a little busy when I called so heÂs going to hear it all over again tonightÂnot a cat. Not a dog. It was a beaver.

Â"all things seem possible in May" Âhow true!

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Candy...my friend saw a BEAR in her back yard. NO they all said.(husband, wildlife officer...) We don't have bears in our area! YES said Marion, it was a bear! She phoned the police. Same story. Then she phoned the media. They wanted photos. A neighbor had a photo. They said it was not from the same area. In the end, it seems they did not want the public to be frightened. Oh great! So, the bear appeared in the school yard! All the children were required to stay indoors of course. The police came and shot the bear right in front of the children's very eyes. NOT SMART! The children wrote letters to the newspaper angry that they had killed the bear instead of relocating it. I think their teachers did well to turn their outrage into action.

"all things seem possible in May"...well not ALL. I can't imagine DH and Mr Conservation Officer backing down. I hope your trees are safe!!!

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Candy, it's like the time I came home and told my dad I had seen a bald eagle in the tree top. He lectured me that it couldn't have been as there were none in the area and went on and on about the different birds it could've been.

Later that night on the news, we were treated to a story on the release of several bald eagles in our area.

I hope you get the same vidication :)

Saucy

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Candy, I bet that startled you at first. Starnge things do happen and I hope something comes up to verify your sighting a beaver.

Norma

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Julie what a cute poem from DGS card. Sorry about the frost. Good to hear you are getting some use of your arm back.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Simpatico with my cold-zone friends, more frost here this morning ! I guess itÂs just a well that I havenÂt gotten around to planting the Âbasil grove yet. Really, this had to be the last. No damage, I think it was short lived and settled mostly on the rooftops, just like Woody .. I absolutely refuse to turn on the heat in May !

Well Candy, since weÂve had no prior reports from you about UFOÂs, Nessie, or Sasquatch, IÂm taking your beaver sighting as legitÂas long as you confirm you arenÂt on pain medication ..and we can rule out Âflashbacks too ? Sure am glad I read your post while I was having my lunch at the awfice..very entertaining !

Saucy , we do have mosquitoes here, but it was a revelation to me last summer in NE ..I never really Âgot the screened-in porch thing, but I sure do now. We carry the Mosquito Magnet at our stores, but donÂt sell too many of them. Pricey ! If I lived in Mosquito Alley I think it would definitely be worth it, providing it actually works. IÂd want to invite myself over to dinner at someoneÂs house who has one (MosqÂs are never around in daytime here) to give it a test run on their nickel.

Hi Julie.. you sound chipper in spite of it all. Hope you are back to 100% soon.

Michelle, I direct sowed the Celosia but I thinkl we have been too cold, no action after 2 weeks. I only planted about a third of the seeds, so I think IÂll re-sow over the weekend after I get back from the coast. We are supposed to get consistent low 80temps which should warm up the soil some. I was also hoping my Amaranth viridis would re-seed , but no action there yet either, and I didnÂt start any .

All for me, waving to all !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Bright spots on a gloomy day...

{{gwi:159309}}

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Oh bug! That is a sight to behold.

We are gloomy here to. Bad storms during the night and more predicted.

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Just got back from San Antonio, Skip had his Marine Corp reunion, so I am a little behind on the idylls, but I wanted to comment on the unusual visitors. When we lived in Pittsburgh, we saw a baboon in the yard of the neighbor across the street. Apparently it escaped from the zoo, which was about 45 minutes by car away from us. That year it managed to live in freedom for about 2 or 3 weeks before they were able to capture it and return to the zoo.

Bug, where do you think I might be able to find the interesting clematis that you have? I just love them, and we don't seem to have anything like that around here. I do have a Betty Corning that I just love, and it grows very well for me. The others, not so much.

Hi to all, I am going to post some more later. I have some fun pics. Right now I need to try to clean up this house. It is a wreck, and the weather outside is cold, rainy, yuck. Good day to do it.

Drema

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Interesting Clematis... annoying because regular nurseries, at least near me, simply do not carry clematis that don't bloom during their peak times. Even if they do, like Constance and Blue Dancer right now, they consider them "difficult" which they are NOT. Another problem for them is that these clematis grow so well that it requires a full time staff person to keep them pruned and staked so that they don't get tangled together. They also take up space and get their tags confused.

Nurseries need to become educated about clematis and teach their customers as well. They need to know how to care for the different varieties (not hard!) and realize that it is a 3-4 year process of care before the vines will leap ahead into glorious bloom.

Drema, my experience is to simply stop and look at the clematis section of every nursery each time I pass by. Over the years I have found things at surprising places. Last week I saw Huldine, Purpurea Plena Elegans and Perle d'Azur at a nearby place. So if you find one or two each year, your collection will certainly grow.

If all else fails, check out the Joy Creek website and order a favorite from them. Not free, but good guys for sure!

Here is a link that might be useful: Joy Creek

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

'bug, just curious if your clematis seed around. I have tons of seedlings this year from nearly all my clems. Do you pull them or leave them?

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Michelle, certainly they do! It would be interesting to see how they develop because they intermingle and you never know what you might get! On the other hand, there are just too many to deal with. I give a few to friends. Same with hellebores.

I have a friend starting a nursery next year and she hopes to use some of the seedlings for a "Gardenbug Collection". (Not the actual name) We'll see how that goes. But she is welcome to all sorts of things that spread: Lady's mantle, bloodroot, tradescantia, corydalis lutea, asters, and lots of other things.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Michelle, were you the person asking about Rheum, the large ornamental variety? I have grown it for the past year only, by the barn where I want something large to help suffocate the weed seeds. I have 2 reds and a white. I bought them at the end of the season last year and I expect them to be HUGE. Love them though!
    White on the left, red on the right.
    {{gwi:159311}}

{{gwi:159313}}

I also see that my Persicari polymorpha has babies. Those have to go. One plant is glorious, but more than one is like having a field of zucchini plants! LOL.

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It sounded like the rhubarb get large and I really don't have the room where I'd like to have them for something huge.

Most of the nurseries around me carry the type 2 clems and I swore them off.

'bug, nice picture with the finches. They are thick at my feeders these days.

Drema, you will have to tell us more about your trip. Maybe a few pictures.

Kathy, amaranth seeds generously for me, celosia does as well.

Tonight my DS and GF will be over for dinner. He's back from TX for about a week.

Michelle

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Thank you Âbug, Saucy and Drema for sharing your own creature stories!Âbear, bald eagle, baboon, beaver, amazing isnÂt it? Last night I backed DH into a corner for a little further discussion on the matter and he apologized for misunderstanding on the phone. He thought I was looking Âinto the shrubbery instead of watching the beaver waddle along in plain sight. So now heÂs made several trips out to the area (with the camera) hoping heÂll catch sight of it, too. For now it remains a mysteryÂ

Been raining off and on since last night and more expected tomorrow. Strong storms possible with the 4 letter H wordÂnooooo, please not H! The high winds have already done enough damage to the hostas with large leaves. I think it will be the weekend before the soil dries out for me to finish planting some new purchases.

Julie, looks like we posted a minute apart yesterday. That is the neatest grandma card you received from TCS, such sweet words! Sorry about the frost, I was hit two years in a row during the last few years. Most rebound but, we wait all winter for fresh green growthÂnot green mush, right?

ÂBug, I am envious of the fact you can buy so many plants and not worry about where to put them! I know the farm is spacious but do you fit them in or start a whole new garden bed each year? I have to plan and choose so carefully otherwise it creates endless shuffling. Not that I donÂt buy a few things on impulse but I do feel as though IÂm on a short leash, lol.

Have a wonderful visit with DS, Michelle!Âis this your first meeting with his GF?

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Ok, Drema - I do believe a baboon in a suburban neighborhood is the top odd animal visit/sighting! What a riot-- Im sure the first people reporting that were hooted far and near - so as Saucy says, there's something in being vindicated! If you want another possible mail order place, Drema, for clems - check out Silver Star Vinery -- I've been immensely happy with what Debbie sends - the folks on the clem forum as well - very strong roots, well packaged and mailed; she tries to keep ship costs down and while the cost has gone up a bit; they are well worth it - I cannot say enough nice things about the place. I suspect she's sold out of most things now (like Joy Creek, where you have to order early to get some of the unusual ones) -- but you can find lots of amazing stock. So make your wish list, and order in the fall or early next winter/spring.

Im about to send my small deposit off for a new pup - I went round and round and came back to Maltese and have been on a hunt thru a bunch of breeders.... so early August I should be bringing her home -- Im nutz but I'll be a happy nut. I am not a well person without a dawg... I will get to go pick her out (there are 2 females in this particular litter) in another 7 weeks or so. I did buy my first little g-baby thing tonite too -- some little socks w/ frogs and another little sunsuit w/ flamingos. I've been informed by DD that she dislikes pastel pink, LOL -- so this baby will have to learn to love coral, magenta, salmon, fuschia, etc.....

'bug - how in the world did you get those finches to perch in that particular tree?? Amazing combo of colors!

Candy - I love that Rosalita too - Deanne indeed is the one who had some incredible combos of that -- it's odd how it's hard to come by -- I got it last year, but havent seen it yet this year. I like it because it stays small too, which is good for my gardens.

I agree re the g-son card, Julie -- such a sweet, wonderful thoughtful card!

It's gotten warmer here but w/ the storms that rolled thru it's now quite humid -- squish squish.... The annuals are not liking it!

And someone tell Mother Nature to stop it with the winds all over the nation - enuf is enuf!

I know I've forgotten many things/folks here.... hope to check back in t-morrow!

Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Hola Idylls..

Idyllunion 7 continues to gel, after this weekend I should have an almost nailed itinerary. Have had some disappointments (closures and the like) but overall I think it will be an enjoyable trek. Tomorrow is my Friday, and then I am off for my Âtest drive to the coast. Taking the camera and the laptop so will be sure to provide updates from the road.

I submitted a sneaky post from the awfice today, but it seems to have vanished..I wanted to add a testimonial for Drema re: Joy Creek. Have been very happy with everything I have ordered from them, most recently my 2 ÂArabella Clems , received in March and blooming away now in May. Lovely root system, sensitive packing, etc. I am dying to visit their display gardens ÂI hope to go up to Oregon for a few days in August , and it will be on my agenda for sure.

Waving again, I need to find some dinner and watch some baseball..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I'm off to Toronto in an hour or so. Surprise me with some This Moment photos for my return!

We had frost AGAIN last night. What's new....There's sun at the moment but hard rains are predicted.

Oh, and a big YES to Silver Star Vinery! Debbie is great too!

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning all,

What a roller-coaster the weather has been lately. IÂm so terribly sorry to hear about the frost and freeze damage Julie, Saucy and Bug have dealt with! I feel your pain. IÂve been doing the Âin again and out again shuffle with all the tender stuff and I have SO much tender stuff it takes me an hour and a half each way. GrrrrrÂ. Crossing my fingers that IÂm done with that now. IÂve gotten a few combination pots assembled and am hoping I donÂt have to move them again.

The wisteria is still blooming and so pretty this year and my tree peony has finally bloomed well after being relocated a couple years ago. The ÂAsao clematis is also blooming but not putting on the best show as I lost a big piece of it over the winter but the flowers that are blooming are soooo pretty! IÂm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment with getting ready for a June garden tour. Just too early for this garden to show at its best.

Kathy, you are doing such a fabu-fabu job with organizing the IU7 and IÂm so sad I wonÂt be able to come this year. ItÂs a huge amount of work and IÂve only done it as a team event with Sue and Monique and Les. Kudos!

Oh Cindy!!! How fabulous that you are getting a new puppy! Congratulations canÂt wait to see the new addition. And yes IÂm in love with the beautiful S. Rosalita. Wonderful plant

Candy, how interesting about the beaver. Funny how some members of the opposite sex decline to believe if the information doesnÂt fit into their belief systems. LOL "IÂve never seen a beaver there so you must be seeing things."

Bug, love all your photos, you really have fabulous spring color. I need to plant more tulips.

Drema, incredible about seeing a baboon in the yard next door. That must have had you doing a double take.

Woody, more wisteria pics please?

Saucy, bummer that the frost got your garden. Hope everything recovers OK. Would love to see some photos of the GG?

Candy, yes indeed, the lovely ÂSenorita is a beauty and must have. It blooms its head off and looks great all season. ~~ The reed fencing you were asking about came from Home Depot. It comes in a roll and is pretty inexpensive. IÂve actually attached it to my chain link fence. It makes a great privacy screen and has held up pretty well.

Michelle, I thought of you yesterday when I planted up your Crocodile geranium. Thanks again for sending that!

OK must run for now, busy day ahead. Have a good one everyone,
    Deanne

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Out of curiosity I went online to see if I could find any mention of the escaped 'baboon' in Pittsburgh. There was an article that mentioned it, it is in the last paragraph, and I tried to post a link. As you can see, some of my facts were a little off, it was a maque, not a baboon, and it escaped for 6 months. But the part I got right was seeing it across the street in the neighbor's yard. My memory was a little off, but 1987 was a long time ago. Wish I had gotten a picture:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Article mentioning escaped Zoo maque. Last paragraph

13 years ago

Deanne - we've been under frost wardings of varying severity since Sunday night. We've had light frost of the roofs but no severe frosts. The wisteria seems to have gone into hibernation! It hasn't changed much since I had Randy take this picture Sunday night in case all we got to see this year was this purple haze!
    {{gwi:159314}}

I liked the picture I posted the other day that Randy took as the sun was setting. I thought it made the wisteria look like enamelled gold jewelery!

Has it been cool lately at your place too? Maybe that's why your wisteria has lasted longer than usual...? Question for you... I've read that the Japanese wisteria produce more seed pods than the Chinese ones and that the pods are more ornamental because they form dangling pairs of pods. But I also gather that they ripen and disperse seeds later in the summer. (Chinese ones seem to disperse their seeds the following spring.) So I assume you have a fine balance of the timing of the ornamental value of the pods vs the need to cut them off before they seed around. What do you do?

• jak1
    13 years ago

Hmmmmm....in 1968 a three year old African Hippo escaped from a zoo near Brockville Ont. and hid by day in a creek running into the St.Lawrence River. One night it crossed Highway 2 trying to return home and was struck by a car. The hippo was unhurt and continued on its way, leaving a very confused motorist with $1000 damage to her car. Now imagine living in Ontario Canada and calling 911 late at night to report that you had struck a hippo.....it took the whole summer to lure the big baby back to its home in the zoo.....

Cheers,

Julie

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Afternoon all,

Yes Woody, it's been very cold here as well and we had 32 degree temps in the mornings two days this week but no damage thankfully. Love your Chinese wisteria! so very beautiful! I wish I had room for a Chinese one as well as the Japanese.

Re Dangling pairs of pods, Ive never noticed pairs before but probably because I deadhead everything here. LOL... the ones I've missed that do produce pods aren't pairs so I don't know what that would be. The pods are pretty large and look ok but I wouldn't plan to leave them because of the pods. I've never had a wisteria seed germinate here either but again, probably because I deadhead everything. When the pods do ripen they split down the middle and curl leaving the two halves of the pods I wonder if that is what they mean by pairs.

Still blooming
    {{gwi:159315}}

Asao has only a few flowers this year but still so pretty
    {{gwi:159316}}

Drema, pretty cool that you found the newspaper article.

Must run, have a great evening.

Deanne

13 years ago

Deanne - re paired pods - no, the book seemed to be saying that the pods are paired like the florets on the flower raceme, which, of course, makes sense since the pods are the end result of the flowers being fertilized. Since the Chinese ones set pods far less frequently, the pods are't ornamental at all. Other interesting facts from the book include:
    - because the Japanese wisterias set seed more readily, the root stock for grafted Chinese wisterias is often a seed-grown Japanese wisteria (I'm not sure if that is true everywhere or just in Australia where the author is from...)
    - apparently it is common in Japan for taverns (pubs) to have a wisteria growing over a pergola to shade the outside dining/drinnking areas. The dregs of glasses of sake are commonly dumped on the roots of the wisteria to fertilize it!

Sone of the pictures in the book are amazing! There are some very beautiful white ones that I'm sure you'd like :-) Much of the book is rather dry descriptions of cultivars but the pictures will make you drool! I picked it up years ago at a second hand bookstore. You might want to see if your local library has it.

I am very anxious for my 'Lawrence' to mature enough to bloom! I will probably follow your example and deadhead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria book

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Really looking forward to my little trip to the coast tomorrow morning, as it happens the last couple of weeks at work have been very stressful as we have been crunching down to a deadline on a huge project . How nice it will be to crank up the car stereo and drive a scenic back road to the ocean, and spend the night in a nice Inn.

Deanne, I canÂt say itÂs been too trying a task to line up the itinerary for the Idylls..I have no one to disagree with about what I have set up , and if I want to change my mind about something I can , just like that! And I really started thinking about this thing way last summer after the idea was discussed at IU. So I had a long time to ponder , and plan. We sure will miss you though.. the photos just wonÂt be he same ! Your garden looks beautiful ; I can only imagine what kind of reaction your visitors will have. Do you pinch Purple Emperor ?

Lol Julie, love the hippo story !

Ok, IÂm going to close up shop here and finish packing. Pleasant dreams all, and I will check in from the coast.

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

What a lovely scene -- Deanne - your gardens are looking mighty spiffy and immaculate to say nothing of luscious. Even with Asao not throwing out huge amounts of blooms for you it looks gorgeous - espc. w/ that heuchera and the red iris that I always comment on! We will surely miss you and others at IU this year...waaa...

Kathy - I do hope you enjoy your little trip - sounds wonderful getaway - I've been tempted to try something like that for next weekend but then I keep thinking of what I need to do in the garden, LOL -- sounds ideal to unloadng that stress and awfice tension -- I've had heavy dose myself late - as have others here -- maybe that's why we garden - to keep ourselves sane. Im starting to think of myself here (& call myself snarkily) by my employee # - "1234 reporting for duty" -- and live for the weekends...

Hope everyone has a mighty fine Friday and terrific weekend. Some nursery crawling is in line for me tomorrow!

-cindy

• denisez10
    13 years ago

Had the nice surprise last night of getting chatted up by our Saucy as I prowled around Facebook, first time in a long while. Nice to see it humming along, as are the idylls. Marty is now officially retired, and I think we're all still a bit dazed by that fact. Very unreal and huge hit on the finances to boot, but it opens up lots of possibilities. I'm pushing for a houseboat on the Seine ;)

Julie's neck has been a topic of conversation at home. What a freak accident, and thankfully it sounds like the ordeal is almost over.

Woody, I hope the med situation is sorted out by now. What wisteria scholars you all are!

Our spring weather has been wonderful, more in the 60s, coolish, which is what we like, but what a roller-coaster ride it's been for many.

Cindy, so happy to hear you're going puppy shopping. That's such a big compliment to Chloe. I'm always surprised when people say no more pets, which some friends have done after their elderly corgi passed away recently.

Wonderful photos, and can't wait to see more clems!

Not sure if this video has been circulating, but since unusual animals seems the idyll topic du jour I'm linking it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery creature

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Oh, yippee, Cindy! A new puppy and a new baby to anticipate-joy, joy, joy (forgive me, Chelone)!

Loving all the photos as always.

No strange creatures around here, although the morning walk with the pups often gives me a chance to spot our neighborhood fox. The other day, we saw two deer walking across the road and down the sidewalk. I hope they stay at that end of the neighborhood or my front gardens are doomed-deer smorgasbord and I doubt Alexandria will let me put a solid fence all the way around our property-alas.

Thunderstorms now. I can hear the thunder, but what we are getting is a lovely steady soft rain and no wind. Perfect. So happy because we really do need the rain AND it will do my weeds a world of good, I'm sure! I am planning to attack them this weekend in between trips to nurseries for hanging baskets and replacement perennials for the one the pups defeated. Some actually have made a comeback. Surprising.

I am off to clean tonight, so I can concentrate on garden stuff this weekend.
    would much rather have a glass of red, but we aren't keeping anything in the house these days-very depressing for me! I may need to hide a little something that I can nip into now and then.

Hope everyone is feeling well, healing up, etc.

Cheers...

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Greetings from the road..
    Have a wood fire burning here in my room at the inn, and spent a pleasant day garden scouting. I can see the water but the fog is coming in-pretty in it's own way.

Some pics from today.. {{gwi:159317}}From Mendocino May 2010
    {{gwi:159318}}From Mendocino May 2010
    {{gwi:159319}}From Mendocino May 2010
    {{gwi:159320}}From Mendocino May 2010

Kathy, on the North Coast

• chelone
    13 years ago

I brief good morning to my virtual friends. The animals stories are great. We saw a lone turkey hen neatly picking her way along the edge of the south lawn this morning. She carefully headed off between the emerging ferns without inciting any response from Wrecks. Every morning I see evidence of the "night shift"... usually a turd/two left in a conspicuous place to let everyone know that someone claims this piece of ground while the "owners" slumber. I like that.

Jack Frost stopped by briefly on Monday morning. Tender growth on the Kirengeshoma was nipped as were the buds on the tree peony. I've long been underwhelmed by the latter, so this year I will likely look on it with greater dissatisifaction that usual. ;) I have yet to finish cleaning any of the garden areas entirely but nonetheless I am filled with a sense of calm and ease about it all. Where does that come from, I wonder?

Same feeling I have about work, actually. Not that the general tension and periodic unpleasantness doesn't bother me, but somehow I seem to be more able to shrug it off quickly with a wry smile. Perhaps it's because I know I do a good job, I know I am present for the hours I'm able to work, and that when able I will go the extra yard to help out. I am an employee, not a green recruite recently inducted. C'est ca.

Thoughts of hives, chicken rescue, and your industry in your gardens warms my heart periodically. Know that. I think of you often over the course of the day.

Wishing all well and now about to pay some bills, toss some laundry into the washing machine and think about dealing with returnables (a "ride" for the huge one!) and a trip to the bank.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

OK, another animal story.

When we first arrived in Toronto we rented an upstairs apartment in a home. Next door there lived a retired animal trainer who it turned out kept a cheetah that had been injured so could no longer jump. The cheetah paced around the backyard. We had a confrontation a year later when the neighbor told us to keep our cat away from the fence. We suggested it was HIS problem to deal with because we also had an infant son who would soon be grabbing on to the fence to look at the large cat! He did deal with it! The fence was totally covered in wood so that you could no longer see inside. The mailman was also nervous and refused to deliver mail. Worried about his hand being chewed off I guess! They moved away...

Burning wood fires here in the evenings. Very pleasant. Tomorrow I think things will heat up outdoors and the bugs will return...

We too recycled things and did errands this morning, including buying dog food. Also DH is investigating making a CD of his old college band in action. He made contact with a guy who does reel to reel work. I'm not sure how fantastic it will be. ;)

I had a successful trip to Toronto where I overspent. My annual shopping for clothes venture...all done at one store. Also went to a sculpture gallery show in which a friend took part. Interesting!

Once home again, I planted a few perennials: iris, a gentian, an angelica gigas and amsonia. I just love amsonia!!!

Happy weekend!
    'bug

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Just a pop in to say hello.
    We have a weather system parked on top of us and it has been wet and dreary for days and will continue a few more days. I'm afraid of what I will face when this is over.
    I am getting restless too. Time to be in action again.

Kathy, I enjoyed your trip photos.

Enjoyed everyone elses photos and animal stories as well.

I have bought several fish for the little pond. Fantail goldfish and Shubukins. They will have to grow a bit before I can move some of them to the bigger pond with the large fantail in their now.

The knockout roses are blooming but they took such a beating from the Jap Beetles last year that as soon as the first flush is done I am going to shear them back. I need to buy a cordless shears. I have electric ones but the extension cords get to be a pain to deal with.

Not much happening in my world, but I like it that way.
    Enjoy your day. Norma

13 years ago

Finally! The wisteria is in full bloom this morning and dispensing its heady sweet-clovey fragrance.
    {{gwi:159321}}

Here you can see the Japanese wisteria that disappointed me by not blooming!
    {{gwi:159323}}

gb - yesterday we planted our purchases from the RBG plant sale last week. One of the things I bought was a Blue Angel clematis. I planted it on the south side of the driveway on the north side of the Angel roses. I'm hoping it will climb over/through the roses and bloom with them. They have their big flush of flowers in June but then continue blooming all summer. They are mostly pale pink. Do you think that will work as a nice combination?

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Lovely combination Woody! I'm not sure they will bloom together always, but some years for sure! Because things are warmer near you, you'll have good luck. My Blue Angel grows upward on the vegetable garden fence and then I spread it sideways along the fence top. It works! (Sometimes earwigs attack the blooms at night and this really irritates me!)

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ItÂs been a truly lovely weekend. Lots of gardening was accomplished. Most of the veggie garden is planted and IÂm moving on to direct sowing flower seeds. I enjoyed listening to the brown thrasher with his varied song as well as the orioles while I worked. The frog course was in competition with the birds. I put a dish of grape jelly out and this morning was treated to a close up of one of the orioles.

RickÂs grandson had a graduation party last night and then the ceremony today.

This morning when we arrived home from church, there was basically no wind and the 4 ash trees near the house were raining leaves. After a little internet research I came up with Ash anthracnose which is a fungus caused by cool, rainy weather and is fairly harmless.

I hauled the first 2 plants from the basement. Hopefully, the weather cooperates and they can all move out this week.

Kathy, I think you are quite enjoying the IU planning.

Woody, IÂm so glad your wisteria has bloomed  it is gorgeous!

Deanne, IÂm glad you are able to keep ÂCrocodile going. ItÂs not the easiest one. Everything is looking great in your gardens.

Cindy, it sounds like there will be lots of excitement in your life in the coming months.

Candy, I hope you dodged the hail bullet. That would be so discouraging.

Later
    Michelle

I rearranged the mini hosta bed and added 'Dragon Tails' and 'Cracker Crumbs' but it seems to be lacking something. So I added a piece of a Japanese Painted fern. I'm thinking it needs some other small plants.
    {{gwi:159324}}

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Woody, your wisteria is pretty and when the other one does get around to blooming they will be awesome together.

Michelle, which one is dragons tail, the one on the left maybe? Do you have any birdsfoot violets to put with the hostas. Maybe just placing a few of your border rocks individually among the hostas?

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

I google birdsfoot violet and this was one of them.

Norma

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdsfoot Violet

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm