Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Mid May at the Farm

gardenbug
14 years ago

I love Spring and Fall plants at the farm...so here are some of the things happening at the farm today.

Multi-Purpose bumper sticker. (for gardens, babies, and anything you like!)

{{gwi:159440}}

Anemonella thalictroides 'Oscar Schaof'

{{gwi:159443}}

Our crabapple with purisima tulips beneath.

{{gwi:159445}}

It seems that epimediums are a major plant group for me!

{{gwi:159446}}

{{gwi:159448}}

{{gwi:159450}}

{{gwi:159452}}

Fairy Bells.

{{gwi:159455}}

Golden Seal spreads!

{{gwi:159457}}

A yellow hellebore still going strong.

{{gwi:159459}}

Omphalodes..also a spreader. :)

{{gwi:159460}}

A very blue pulmonaria I like.

{{gwi:159461}}

The shade garden looks nice with touches of white. Thalia narcissus here:

{{gwi:159462}}

I love Shooting Stars.

{{gwi:159463}}

These are Japanese Wood Poppies which are great because they don't seed everywhere.

{{gwi:159464}}

And here, some verbascum I just bought this weekend and have not yet planted.

Today someone said this: (Try to answer it too.) Quick, name 5 perennials you DON'T like! I couldn't do it. I guess I need to think on it a while!

Comments (13)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Fairy bells! That's the name I was trying to think of....! They're blooming here too but I can never remember their name so thank you for that picture in particular! I love shooting stars too and will have to go looking to see if I have any this year. Isn't spring such a great time - something new to look for every day and everything so fresh and beautiful. Thanks for sharing some of the beauty in your garden today. When's the earliest I can get my clematis 'fix' from pictures of your clematis colloction: :-)

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Marie, I always love to see your spring blooms at the farm. You have so many interesting things that I don't have. I agree about the epimediums, one can never have enough of them. Looks like your gardens survived your absence just fine! Thanks for the spring tour.

Eden

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

GB you have a really nice collection of plants. You must have the perfect locale for them. Oscar is handsome and I like the bumper sticker too. Norma

• anitamo
    14 years ago

I always look forward to seeing photos of your plants and garden. Beautiful as always! I am surprised, though, that your shooting star is in full bloom, and I don't even have a bud on mine, and we're in the same zone.

Love those wood poppies, another one to add to my want list.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

What, no Phoebe? [g] Verbascums and Shooting Stars and I love Yellow Hellebores! Fairy bells is such a cute name and That double Anemonella is calling my name. :-) Love the variety of Epimediums, another favorite. I would be interested to know when your first Clematis blooms too. I thought all of yours bloom in July?

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Beautiful Marie,I bet Saucy would love that bumper sticker ! As always your photos are great and I always enjoy seeing the lovely delicate spring flowers that would dislike my climate..

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

I was just thinking on my way to work wondering what the Spring at your house was looking like this year, Gardenbug -- and here it is -- gorgeous and charming as always!

Neither omphalodes nor verbascums will spread or reseed for me -- how lucky you are!

Thanks for taking time out of your busy Spring to let us see the beginnings of glory on the farm.

--cindy

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

How great that spring is at your place!
    You have a lot of lovely flowers, already.
    I espacially like the Anemonella. What sort of conditions does it require?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anita, the shooting stars open at different times depending where they are located here. They seed around wherever they choose which is nice. If you are tempted by the wood poppies be warned! Regular ones are invasive whereas these Japanese ones clump nicely and do not spread.

PM2, it has been too sunny to catch Phoebe in a photo that would have any detail. It is hard to capture all black subjects! As for clematis, I should be getting some in several days, depending on the rain situation.

Cindy, I find that many plants re-seed but that I do not realize it and remove the seedlings thinking they are weeds. This may not be the case for you, but it had to be pointed out to me. Just yesterday my friend pointed out a whole bunch of baby clematis seedlings I didn't realize I have!

Marian, Anemonellas are sweet delicate plants that love partial shade. They grow in open woodlands or shady borders and like it moist. I have to mark where they are planted as I'd never remember (my brain, oy!) and would disturb them. This pink one was a gift last year and I'm so happy it returned!

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

What a wonderful collection of epimediums! I need more. The yellow hellebore reminds me of one I found the other day 'Golden Sunrise' Thanks for sharing spring in your garden.

Michelle

• chelone
    14 years ago

This is a terrific way to start a rainy Sunday morning, 'bug. You really have such a lovely touch with plantings. And even better, the conditions you describe in many of your plantings are very familiar to me.

I love the Anemonella, too. And am reminded to add Hellebores this year, along with so many other items. ;) The Rodgersias are up for me, too and they really are handsome plants... I am fond of big, rugged, no-fuss plants.

And I know what you mean about getting good shots of a dark dog, it's really hard, isn't it??

• deanneart
    14 years ago

How gorgeous! I just love all of it and especially the Epimediums. Love those Verbascum. I can't seem to grow them well for some reason so I gave up trying. I enjoy their blooms in the nurseries or use them a a temp. container filler.

Deanne

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

What a wonderful collection. I just love all of your plants! They are just the sort of thing I would love to grow more of. I love woodland-y sort of flowers!
    My fav is that Anemonella, but those Japanese Poppies are wonderful too. Just beautiful!
    CMK