Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmcilhargie

Idyll #266 Here Comes The Sun

Lara Noles
17 years ago

OK Babs? Let's hope this title works as well as the last one did...

Eden

Comments (104)

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good morning

GB - love the quote and very true!

Our weather is starting to warm today and we might hit 80F by the weekend. Sure beats 35F at night. I'm hoping to finally get some of my tropicals outside to begin hardening off. The one inch lengths of various gingers I brought back from Hawaii are well rooted and now have some nice top growth. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do once things warm up.

The cool has been good for some things. My spring lettuce has been the best ever - we had a delicious salad last night with fresh arugula, Little Gem Cos lettuce and Red Salad Bowl. Even better, we've been able to eat it before the bunnies found it.

Have a great day everyone

Mary

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Hi, all another drive-by post brrrrrr, was it cold enough for everyone last nite? I resorted to sheets over the annuals that were waiting for containers & houseplants that had mistakenly been put out last week grrrr.... but on the other hand, I prefer cooler spring to upper 80s-90 theyre now predicting possible for the weekend consequently, there are lots of drooping plants this a.m. I noticed a number suffered over the weekend too and Ive actually got a blooming Asiatic in the garden and its um, Red I suspect its something that was sent mislabeled luckily its blooming all by its lonesome so its just looking extremely tropical at the moment. Had a few dahlias starting to pop up no telling what they look like this a.m. O well...... I cant afford that biosphere!!

Had busy weekend DD & her hubby came over to be "slaves for a day" as a present and we went to see the DaVinci Code. DD brought lunch & baked a homemade pound cake w/ strawberries & whip cream (I had to laugh -- for me whos been on a diet, could she have chosen a worse cake? but she was so proud of it and rightly so as it turned out lovely). So I just indulged & made them take most of it home but boy that fat, fat, tasted soo good!! Now its back "on the wagon" to work on getting all those fat grams off this week!

We liked the DaVinci Code movie -- but preferred the book and wondered what people who had not read the book thought of the movie -- I suspect it was easier to understand if you had read -- a friend said she realized if you didnt follow the dialogue closely (that explained so much) you really got lost quickly..... Anyone else contribute to the movie industry recently?

Taryn good luck w/ the open house love the photos of your gathering for Bruce and family looks like everyone had exactly what you hoped for a great, cozy time.

Would love to see your photos, Michelle, of your visit to the Arboretum you know we love virtual garden tours!!

So, GB are u up & at em moving those bricks? They look lovely despite the color not being quite "yellow" & are going to make fantastic walks.

V your DD looks like a princess just lovely. And great steal on that dress!

--Cindy

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Good morning, Idylls. This will be another drive-by for me. Yesterday, the contractor came and rigged up a temporary drainage system in case it rains before his crew is able to work. Sunday, DH used the wet-dry vac and removed 60 gal. of water from the front lake, again. Were hoping it dried out enough for them to work. Theyre going to try to do something this afternoon. I have a haircut scheduled for today. Of course, on the way is a nursery I must at least stop and look. Usually, they dont have much exciting, but

Marian, congrats on the new refrig! What a buy! Your kitchen will really be stylin with those new appliances. Itll be so nice for you to have appliances you can depend on. What a difference my new frig has made for me. I now dont have to worry about freezing my produce.

Ei, I love your posts and quotes. Bug, great pix, thanks! Mary, what a fabulous pic a kalidescope of color! Its exactly what I aspire for my garden! V, your DD is so pretty and what a lovely dress! Hope she had a wonderful evening. Taryn, what a lovely party you had! And so special for Bruce and Gigi. Sorry about her toe. And Congrats on the house sale and purchase plans! Ive got my fingers and toes crossed that all goes well for you! Michelle, gorgeous photo! Sorry about the sore throat. Sue, your fence came out great! What a talented hubby you have. Please post pix of those Japanese Maples in situ. Id love to incorporate more here. Yeona, Im so glad to hear your DS is doing better. Your dinner sounded yummy.

Deanne, I think my Dahlias are too leggy. They prefer to be outside in the sun. Dont think they got enough light in the kitchen. I had to bring them back in the house last nite b/c it went down in the 30s. Im not sure the things in my little portable greenhouse didnt suffer, too. This cold snap is the pits!

V, thanks for sharing that article. That couldve been my house theyre talking about! I have plants everywhere. Bug, thanks for the one you shared. Very useful info. BTW, Im going to try to rescue my Clematis from under the deck today. I hope I dont injure them trying to get them to climb on the deck lattice. Theyve already budding.

Thanks, Mary, for your comments on my containers. Here are a few pix. Theyre not the best light conditions its been either too cold, too wet, too windy for them to be outside.

I decided that the Acontium that I used 2 yrs. ago in this container was too hard to winter over and too expensive to replace. So, this is my combo this year. These plants are staged in their original pots, not planted. Thus, its been easy to pull the tender ones to keep them safe and in the fall the perennials just go in the ground. Ill be able to get them staged better when I dont have to continually bring in the tender ones.

I used: Pulmonaria Majeste, Begonia Capricorn, Brunnera Looking Glass, Stained Glassworks Rose Explosion, Coleus Dark Star with Hemigraphis alternata Purple Waffle as filler.

{{gwi:159646}}

{{gwi:159648}}

I really love, love, love the Rose Explosion, but it is really fragile.

Heres another: Fuchsia Autumnale, Heuchera Key Lime Pie, and Coleus Wizard Scarlet.

{{gwi:159649}}

I cant tell the difference between Key Lime and Lime Rickey. I have both. Anyone know?

Im hoping to be able to get the other containers out tomorrow, make some changes and will take some pix if theyve survived. Im afraid even the garage may have been too cold for them last nite. Sheesh!

Well, gotta run. Im going to try to move up my haircut appt. appt today. Hope its sunny and warm where you are. Hi to all.

Honey

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Cindy, I'm up but it is awfully windy and cold still. There's SUN though!!!!! I need to go to the bank, then I'll get started. I've removed all the decorative sheets and pots(ha!) from the garden this morning. They are still thinking it will freeze again tonight! Guess I'll hold off on planting a day or two longer. Sigh...

Off I go- later 'gators!
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Its another cool but sunny morning here. It would be a great day for weeding the garden, but life has other plans for me at the moment. Ill sit here at my desk and "back at the ranch" the weeds will get just a little taller.

Marie, thanks for the link to the Biosphere. It sent me on a little trip down memory lane. When I was 12, we went to Montreal to visit Expo 67. It was part of a classic 1960s over-planned road trip vacation. When we arrived in Montreal, first we got to see an enormous motorcade headed the other direction. It was Charles de Gaulle, prime minister of France, headed to the airport after an historic visit to Quebec. At our motel, we found a message waiting for my father. His brother had dropped dead of a heart attack, literally as he walked out the door of the doctors office. Suddenly the carefully scheduled trip and hard-to-get reservations were out the window. The owners of the motel were incredibly helpful as they juggled our room reservation, gave us a space to leave our packed car and made arrangements for a flight back to Chicago. It was our very first plane ride! I saved the placemat and salt and pepper packets for a long time. Anyway, Expo 67 was worth the delay and I still remember Buckminster Fullers incredible dome, the raw industrial atmosphere of the USSR exhibit and the strange foreignness of the Thai exhibit.

Honey, I bought the same Begonia as you have in that first pot.

Thanks for all the nice comments on DD. She had a great time at the prom. Today is the senior awards assembly, Thursday night is the Honors Banquet and Friday is the Thespian Banquet. Not a lot of serious school left (nor much serious cooking in our household!)

Okay, I should go deal with the bigger issues of the day. Hosta manana, friends!

V.

• just_t
    17 years ago

Hello everyone!

V, your daughter looked lovely. It sounds like a very busy time for her (and you) in the upcoming days as she winds down her high school years.

Mary, your pond turned out so nice. I cannot remember if you took photos as you built it.....if you did, I'd love to see them.

Marie, some of your bricks appeared to be 'floating' in mid air in the photo......did anyone else notice it? I kept looking at the picture trying to see why & how...I never did figure it out.

Marion, great score on the refrigerator & other goodies. I don't go to garage, estate sales or auctions.....always find things I 'need' that I truly don't 'need'. It is best if I just stay away from the temptation.

Deanne, sorry to read that the weather killed some of your coleus. You definitely need a greenhouse or 3......or 5.... (just trying to enable as much as you might need).

Sue, Tom did a very nice job on the privacy fence. You will have the area around it looking like the fence & hot tub were always there......you do have a green thumb, fingers, hand, arm....................

Honey your containers look great.

Michelle, I enjoyed seeing your gardens from up high. It is pretty neat to be able to see the entire garden and what the scale is of the plants, walkways and surrounding areas. I liked seeing the farm equipment and the fields/pasture.

Have you guys ever noticed how many things are 'great', 'wonderful', 'lovely', 'gorgeous', 'perfect', etc, etc, etc.........in this group?! Amazing talent.

We spent the weekend working on getting some trees cut down and split into firewood. What a fun time (not), but it is good to have the chore done before the heat of summer hits.

It began raining here about the time that it stopped there. The grass, briars, weeds and flowers are doing very well in the warm, rainy days. I have some Jain iris that are blooming for the first time......gorgeous colors. I'm in the process of moving them, so hope that doing it, as they are blooming, will not kill them. My Calla lilies are blooming and the Hostas (I only have 3) are looking lush & healthy so far (slugs will get them, it is just a matter of time). A couple of rhododendrons are done blooming but a few more are in their prime. The blooms do not last long, but they are sure lovely for those few days. I have one rose (Therese xxxxxx? can't remember the entire name) that has had one bloom on it so far, all the other roses are still just producing their buds.

Well, I'm sure I'm missing commenting on lots.....I enjoyed seeing Taryn's pictures and hearing from those who've been gone/quiet from the Idylls.

Hello to all....

T.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Not one of my better days, but I want to tell Honey that her old refrigerator sounds like mine. I have it on the very lowest setting to keep it from freezing everything. We will move it into the utility room and use it in place of our 42 year old freezer. The 'frigerator is 32 years old!

I think the reason I am not at my best today is because yesterday I first mowed almost all our yard, then we moved the old refrigerator so I could clean under and behind it. What a mess! Besides just a normal accumulation of dirt, there is a round spot in the vinyl that is apparently the fluid from it's motor. It is soaked into the vinyl... dark reddish-brown, and 6" in diameter.Thank goodness it will be hidden by the new one. It should arrive tomorrow. We set the old one in the breakfast nook, and will leave it there until getting the freezer moved out of the utility room.

The new range will come this week also, but the gal at the store didn't seem to know what day.

Honey, your pots are lovely ( and so are everyone elses). I am wondering...do you plant the heucheras in the ground in the fall ?

Bye for now...while I nurse my headache...:-(

Marian

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Hi folks! Just a quickie from me-my laptop at work had a hard drive failure and the temporary set up IT gave me doesn't have internet access. So....hopefully tomorrow I'll be back in business but who knows.

I've been working in the garden every night after work trying to get caught up. With any luck it won't rain again this week and the upcoming three day weekend will prove fruitful. Last night I moved compost out of necessity because the trash needed to go out and the driveway was blocked. Tonight I planted a pile of stuff. Monique was kind enough to tip me off to a nursery we both frequent that had Abelia Silver Anniversary. I snuck down there at lunchtime and got that and a few other things-another Stephanandra incisa Crispa, a variegated Cotoneaster to replace the one that died this winter, another Azalea Westons Lemon Drop, a couple of annuals and a Phlomis russeliana. Lately I hardly ever score the plants I want at nurseries anymore so this was a fruitful trip. On Sunday I finally found the Hydrangea Blue Billow I've been looking for. Unfortunately it was in a White Flower Farm pot and overpriced (that seems to be the latest thing at the nurseries around here this year-a line of WFF plants-usually fairly common stuff at outrageous prices) but every so often I pay more for something than I want to.

Honey, your containers look great. I don't even think to use hardy plants in containers-I guess there are too many tender and tropical things I want and I figure the hardy stuff can grow in the ground...lol. Tonight I "staged" a few more empty pots and started playing around with combinations. Hopefully I can get more serious about that this weekend.

Has anybody sprung for one of those new Sambucus Black Lace? That is one sweet looking plant. I'm a sucker for dark foliage but have been reluctant to get this one because Black Beauty basically got panned on the shrub forum a year or so ago and I can't grow Sutherland Gold to save my life.

Tom did do a nice job on the fence. Tonight He finished digging out the area and plans to order a ton of stone dust tomorrow for the patio base. It would be nice to get that done this weekend. It isn't in the plans for this year but next year I want to extend the patio out there and redo that whole garden-maybe build a small pergola.

OK, the dinner bell is ringing. Tomorrow night I have a pedicure appointment after work and on Thursday it's off to the hairdresser. Goodbye week.

Sue

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

Wow I can't believe it's been several days already since I posted. Thanks to everyone asking about my headache - it finally did go away although I was a bit groggy for a day or so. I felt good enough on Friday evening to go see the DaVinci Code - I thought it was very good. I'm the only one in the family who has actually READ the book, but everyone else liked it also. One of our local churches ran an ad in the newspaper asking people to boycott the movie. I find that to be so silly since the whole thing is just a work of fiction and I can't believe they are so threatened by it.

I didn't actually get out in the yard until today. I've been feeling like I just didn't want to get out there and do anything. I finally figured out why - it's that one bed that I've neglected for about 3 years now staring me in the face. I had it in my mind that I should tackle that first, but was dreading it so. Everything in that bed needs to be divided or moved. My honeysuckle in there is going crazy. The bed is full of 3 or 4 foot high persimmon suckers - did I mention how I hate that persimmon tree? Actually the best thing would be to dig it all out, revamp the ground, and then replant. A huge undertaking I don't want to face. After realizing this was the root of my problem, I decided to tackle something smaller - the rose circle out back that I ignored last year (I have been a BAD gardener for a couple of years). So I went out today and dug the dandelions and such out, used the scuffle hoe on the rest of it, cut out the dead canes and then filled it in with mulch. It looks ever so much better and it was a job accomplished. Some of my beds have filled out such that there are actually few weeds and little room for mulch now, which is how I want them, so I'll tackle another one tomorrow. Maybe the roses out front, they just need hoed again and mulched. Maybe if I can tackle the smaller ones and get those done, I'll feel more like going after that monster out there on the corner.

While I was out picking up DS2 from school, I stopped in Walmart (and of course I parked near the garden area). I hit it lucky again! I think they just got in a new shipment of annuals - and at a nice price of $1.68 a pot - and you wouldn't believe what I got! Three Dark Eyes fuscias, two white Lisa dahlias, three Lanai Peach verbena, three Margarita sweet potato vines, two Non-Stop Pink tuberous begonias, and a white begonia. These were such nice plants for the price, I couldn't believe it. Mom and I are going back in the morning before everything is gone so she can get plants for her containers. I'll probably pick up a couple more. I also got a bag of new potting soil for the containers and a nice cocoa lined hanging basket for the fuschias. After finishing up the rose bed I planted two concrete urns and the basket, and ran out of soil already. So another trip is needed... I've probably made a horrible mistake putting the dahlias and begonias in the same urns, but I guess time will tell. I can move them easily enough. The look pretty good for me, you all inspire me with your beautiful containers.

By the time I quit I was a mess. I had to shower before cooking dinner. Honestly if it were just me, I'd have continued working, but the guys think they need to be fed. What's up with that? I'm tired and a little bit achy, but it's a good ache.

I've been having a night visitor - something who not only raids my seed cakes but also last night chopped off the tops of a bunch of daylilies. Didn't eat them, left them on the ground right there, but really chopped them up. I guess for a while the seed cakes will have to be taken down at night and put back out in the morning.

Tomorrow I also want to get my concrete cherub back upright. A mole undermined her base over the winter and she fell over. I'm going to stick a couple of bricks under the low side before hauling her back up.

T - I don't think you'll hurt the iris. They are pretty hardy. We have a local grower (crosses his own, I have many gorgeous unnamed varieties from him) and he has people come to his field as they bloom. Digs them up as they are chosen and sends them home with you right then. I've never had a problem with them - sometimes it's been a couple of days before I got them replanted and they were fine. I just keep them in a shady spot and don't let them get dried out.

Marian don't you love a good auction? I've gotten some real treasures at auctions. I love the hunt.

Well I had better call it a night and get some sleep. We're supposed to have good weather all weekend so I hope to spend a good bit of time shaping this place up. DS the soon to be graduate wants a Japanese cherry tree, so I'm trying to picture where to plant one. Of course, there will have to be a bed around it, with some plants. Wonder if I can get him to dig it for me? I guess if he wants it, he'll dig it. LOL

Night all!

suzy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Love your containers Honey! The colours all look fantastic with the pretty pots. I just happen to have planted one of mine with C. Rose Explosion too. The pulmonaria is a great idea...I'd never have thought to include it for some reason.

Suzy, your tale of the huge difficult bed was like me looking out my window. For me it is always the vegetable garden that is the big trauma. If I take it piece by piece, I eventually get there...and so will you. Nice purchases too!

Today I am headed out on a big plant adventure. Wish me luck! As most of you know, I am a reluctant driver. I have never driven to a location I am not familiar with. But today that is what I am doing. I am off to collect my clematis order from my buddy Chris.(of Kathy Renwald fame) He had the nerve to move an hour's drive away and I must now explore unknown territory. I tend to fall asleep when driving...so I will take it slowly, perhaps take pictures for you along the way, eat an apple, sing loudly! It is a beautiful day out there. First though, I must remove the sheets from the plants and walk Charlotte.

Hope you are feeling cheerful again Marian!
    Ta-ta!
    'bug

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Morning all. It's a glorious, mild, sunny morning -- finally! I'm a bit out of sorts b/c we dnd't get a newspaper this am. Hate when my am routine gets messed up.

My contractor showed up yesterday afternoon! He better be careful, he might give contractors a good name! Seriously, it's DD's boss and I'm sure she'd bug them to death if Mom and Dad weren't taken care of. They're due in a few minutes and hopefully will get the drains dug and installed and the walkway base in today. The Bobcat kept getting stuck yesterday even tho they excavated down about 18". The soil is absolutely awful. I'm going to try to get them to take away a good portion of it today and will backfull with better soil.

Funny stories: When DD's boss and his crew chief were here last week, the crew chief's phone rang and he appeared really annoyed. After the call he mumbled several explitives about that 'b****' in the office. DD's boss calmly looked over at him and said, "BTW, meet her mother?!" :)

Then yesterday, DD phoned to ask for a check for half of the $ to order materials and told me to speak to her boss about it. When I did, he said, "Oh, that's between you and her. That's her decision. I don't get into that." I practically had to beg him to take a check back to the office. That's why DD runs the office and sets up the crews.

Sue, I used the 3 perennials b/c of the color and light req'mts. The color scheme was determined by the Begonia Capricorn that I bot with Eden. Until that lecture, I never thot to combine tropicals, annuals and perennials. What's interesting is that that color scheme seems "peaceful" and appropriate for my "Asian inspired" theme here.

And yes, Marian, the perennials will be pulled from the containers in the fall and planted. I really like the idea of reusing them. In one of the demo containers that gal showed us, she used a small dk blue hosta as an accent in a yellow/white themed arrangement.

V, what's interesting is how similar everyone's taste is here. How funny you bot that begonia, too. Please post of pic of how you used it.

Another busy day ahead. I think I can safely drag my containers out of the garage and perhaps plant some dahlias before my appt this pm. Hallaluja! The only bad news is it's supposed to rain tomorrow. My poor plants are still waterlogged. Hopefully they'll dry out some today.

Marian and Suz -- hope your headache's have gone away. I'll bet it's allergies with all the pollens coming out at once. Marian, so sorry to hear the old frig damaged your floor underneath. I hope the new frig works like a top for you. T, how's DD doing and have you gotten to see another ultrasound of her precious cargo? You and they must be getting excited.

Hi to everyone! Gotta get back on schedule here. TTYL. Honey

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Honey your containers are *gorgeous*! I am in love with that begonia and I love the Japanese ornament in the pot...it really does make it special! And I love the way the lime green and red are picked up in the fuchsia in your 2nd pic...great combo. Will you move the heuchera into the garden in fall? Re 'Lime Rickey'...I only have 'Lime Rickey'. I scanned a pic of a leaf from it, hoping that there will be enough of a difference, that you'll be able to tell, which one is which in your garden:

{{gwi:159651}}

All of my heucheras are very small this year, I'm sure the drought had something to do with it. My lovely Obsidians are the most disappointing. I swear the clumps have *shrunk* since last year. Does anybody have a heuchera they can recommend for vigor that is either black like Obsidian or a nice deep plum color?

Marian - I hope you are feeling better today. Do try to take it a little easy. Wish your son lived closer so he could help you and Nolon. Mowing a whole lawn and then moving a refrigerator is a lot for anyone to do in one day.

Mary - too funny about Christopher Lloyd! :-) Well I am sure that you will have an equally beautiful container garden on your patio this year! :-) It really bums me out when I think of the fact that Mr. Lloyd is no longer with us...such an inspiration! BTW, were you the one who recommended Shocking Beauty? I just loved that book. I finally transplanted your columbines into the garden! :-) Thank you! I can't wait to see them bloom, though I imagine it won't be until next year. I love lettuces too, but I was really late in getting them out this year....hope they will still taste good! How cool about the Gingers! I brought plumeria tubers back when I went to Hawaii and they grew in the garden, but when I tried to bring them back into the house in fall, they just up and died on me. I probably should have left them in a pot and just brought them in and out. Well, if I ever get back to Hawaii! :-)

Sue - If you like black foliaged plants, have you tried Physocarpus 'Diablo'? I have that one in my back yard and it's doing just fine and not a sign of distress from last year's drought. I have had my eye on Sambucus 'Black Lace' too and another Physocarpus called 'Coppertina', but so far have not succumbed. Actually, I don't know where I would put them in my garden anyway, I've run out of room for the big things. Although, my two Miss Kim lilacs look like they are on their way out...the drought of last year I think finally did them in! Oh well, they were very old and finally reached a size that is too large for the area anyway...enough room, but they just looked too out of balance for the other things in the area. Oh well, I'm kind of glad in a way, it relieves my guilty about removing healthy plants. I just have to find the energy to dig them out. I also lost a Rose of Sharon shrub.... can you imagine? Luckily they are pretty easy to remove. I dug the dead one out and then moved another from further down the line to fill in the empty space....looks like it will take! How do you like Stephanandra? I saw them in winter many years ago at the Morton Arboretum and I think their skeletons looked so cool. What do they like; sun or shade and how big will they ultimately get?

Hi T! I love to hear the words "Jain Iris"...sure do miss her and all her *gorgeous* pics! LOL about the "lovely, wonderful, great, gorgeous" thing! I notice I use those words a lot here, how can you help it? This is a very talented group! :-)

Suzy - glad to hear you are feeling better. Do you think the night mauauders could be raccoons? I had a rather large raccoon that could stretch himself enough to reach my suet feeders and they were his favorite snack! Luckily I haven't seen any raccoons this year....lots of bunnies though!

Hope you have a safe and pleasant trip today Marie! Count me in as someone who doesn't like to drive in unfamiliar territory either...I am also not so big on doing expressways!

Well, I'm off to get a haircut and maybe a little plant shopping...I need *more* basil. LOL! I will *always* need more basil...must be the Italian in me. I can pick it fresh and just eat it right there in the garden. I have about a half dozen purple ruffles (which are only for decoration) and then about a half dozen sweet basils too...but I think I may be woefully short in the sweet basil category! Another dozen ought to do it! :-)

Well, I better be moving I have a goal to get everything in the garden today. We are to have rain ths afternoon, but actually I'm glad of it. Worked in the garden all yesterday and you are not going to believe this, but even with all the rain we had last week, my garden is dry, dry, dry! Hope those who need rain get it and those who don't, don't! Have a great day all!

Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Well "Hi" Honey! We must have been posting at the same time. I just came back to check and make sure my post went through...just realized by reading your post that Marian had asked you the same question...LOL!

Hope you have a great day too!

TTYL! Ei

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Honey wow another container winner altho I think the lantern is part of what makes it so special the color combos are terrific.

Sue I bought Sambucus Black lace from Song Sparrow last year I love it its lacy like a Japanese Maple, and has kept its color which I think is why Black Beauty got panned but the texture is much more refined it has not grown a lot & Ive probably not got it in the best spot well see how it fares this summer but so far I have to give it a big thumbs up esp. since I cant really do Jap. Maples in my yard.... and yes, I love your fence for the hot tub!

T maybe its Therese Bugnet rose? Ive got her she is giving a wow performance this year 2nd season in the ground

Marian sorry youre feeling not so good re the spot under refrig just remember, wht you find below the frig, Stays below the frig !! only you will know!!

I too am looking forward to the long weekend must get things done inside as well as out bummer.

-Cindy

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

'bug, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable time traveling today with plenty of opportunities to stop to take photos to aid in keeping you awake & alert. Look forward to you checking in when you are back home.

Eden, you were first in my thoughts this morning. I very much admire your children's attitudes towards each other. They sound like wonderful, caring adults.

Once again a rainy day but the barometer shows a sunny trend coming. The weather forecasters said showers for days yet, but perhaps we'll get some clearing along with the rain. It is looking pretty messy outside with the grass, weeds & briars growing as you watch (well, almost that bad, lol).

I need more coffee....

Hello to everyone.......

T.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

Well it is finally going to be a sunny day and in the upper 60s without gale force winds and I dont have anything scheduled so I can get outside and get some things finished up that have needed attention for a while. Yesterday I finally cleaned out and re-planted the huge hayracks on the fence and that makes me a much happier camper. I can see them from my chair here in the family room so every time I looked out the window it bugged me. Last year Id bought some large hangers and divided them up to fill it but the hangers are way too expensive this year to do that so Im just using smaller plants and some coleus I had here already to fill them. They arent as full as they were first off last year but Im sure theyll fill in when the weather warms up. I also planted a couple more containers for the patio and potted up a few more dahlias. Today I want to get the window boxes on the shed cleaned out and planted then I can get to the container grouping in the corner of the front yard by the bench and theyll be done. Woohoo!

Well, re the DaVinci Code movie, I didnt read the book. I tried several times to get into it but found as usual that I dont care for Dan Browns writing and just could not read past the first couple chapters and I probably wont go see the movie either so I have no opinion .

Bug, here is what the Asao looks like on the side facing the sun
    {{gwi:159653}}

And this is what it looks like on the back side. You can see those heavy stems all bent and twisted. I cant figure out how they havent broken yet. Id like to get it to grow back inside the obelisk after it is done blooming. So where do I prune it to? Should I just take off all that top growth? There isnt anything wilted at this time.
    {{gwi:159654}}

Best of luck with your excursion today. I know you are going to have a great time.

Mary, no kidding we need to do a road trip out your way. Id have loved to see all those luscious coleus varieties and container plants. Sounds like you had a great time. Ive not found much interesting up here this year and am itching to get to a good greenhouse that sells tropicals.

Honey, your new containers look wonderful!!! Love that C. Rose Explosion and that begonia is to die for. I sure wish I could find begonias like that around here. Im insanely jealous youve gotten that Fuchsia Autumnale. Ive been looking for it and cant find it anywhere. Im going to go begging for a cutting of that come the end of the summer if Ive not found one yet. My Fuchsia Golden Marinka are similar and dont need any flowers to add to their beauty. The foliage on them is just a knock out and Ill be curious to see how similar the Autumnale is to the Golden Marinka. ~~ Too funny about the guy complaining about the b ---- in the office and it was your DD. How funny. ~~ We are finally having a good day here also and Im planning on getting some dahlias planted too. It is supposed to warm up into the 80s over the next several days so the ground will be warm enough to get them out of their pots. Yea!

T, I told Doug you said I needed three or five greenhouses and he just laughed at me. He thought I was kidding and I was serious! LOL A girl always needs an enabler. Te he.

Marian, youve reminded me that I need to clean out behind my refrigerator here also. Not my favorite job in the world but I really should get that done soon.

Sue, sounds like you are getting a lot accomplished there. Ill have to pop down there sometime and see your gardens and containers. RE that S Black Lace. I tried a Sambucus Black Beauty and it just withered and died on me under the same conditions the Sutherland Gold was enjoying so I probably wont try the Black Lace until I hear rave reviews from someone like yourself. I agree that it looks to be quite the beauty. Oh yes, I wanted to tell you that I bought these double hoop supports for the peonies that are really doing the trick. They are a couple feet in diameter and so large enough for the clumps. I put them on a couple weeks ago and they are completely hidden by the foliage.

Suzy, sounds like you really scored at WallMart. Those prices are the best Ive heard anywhere. Everything here is a minimum of $3.99 for a four inch pot. ~~ I so know what you mean about not being able to work on something because you are putting off a big job you just dont want to face. But just think about how great it will feel when you get to it and it is all ship shape again. My beds here have also gotten to the stage where there isnt a lot of weeding needed because the perennials fill in nicely. The really big jobs are the digging and dividing in spring to keep the things like the asters, phlox and nepetas in bounds.

Here are another couple pics from yesterday

{{gwi:159655}}

Im loving this combination with the azalea in the background echoing the color of the Asao clematis. Im also really liking the Wegelia Wine and Roses in the middle terrace. It picks up the color of the Heucheras in the foreground and the dark purples really make that Brunnera Jack Frost accent sparkle. Yummy!
    {{gwi:159656}}

Have a great day everyone!
    Deanne

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi everyone,

It couldn't be a more beautiful day here today. More demolition work going on this morning. We're still removing concrete and asphalt. I keep telling myself it has to look worse before it can look better. What a mess! I'm hoping to squeeze in some planting today too. Looks like this weekend will be perfect for putting together the container gardens, if I can only find the time.

Honey, I love your containers! I wouldn't have thought to use a pumonaria, but it's the perfect plant for that container. Can't wait to see more of your creations.

Sue, I have the sambucus black lace. I got it from Song Sparrow last year. I've been seeing them for sale everywhere this year though in small pots in the greenhouses with the tropicals strangely enough. Mine's still a baby, I didn't get it in the ground until last October, but I do love it. I also love my Black Beauty and Sutherlands Gold though. Curious as to what they said on the shrub forum about the black beauty? Mine's been a great addition. I think my favorite dark foliaged shrub this year though is my cotinus purple smoke. It's gotten big enough that it's really looking like something this year. Great color. I have that phlomis too, started it from seed a couple of winters ago. It looks like it's just getting ready to bloom.

Marian, doing all that you did would make me feel sick too. I wish you could take it a little easier. Great score on the stove AND refrig!

Marie, bon voyage today! I feel the same way about driving in unfarmiliar territory. Clematis is worth the risks though!

Gotta run. Lots to do today!

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Duh! I just realized Honey that you *know* which one is which in your garden, you were just asking if anyone saw any difference in the two...LOL! Guess I'll take the leaf off now! :-)

Just back from getting my haircut, a quick pop in here and then off to do some gardening before the 2nd rain shower starts this afternoon.

Deanne your gardens are looking lush and *so* beautiful! That Asao is stunning! What a color! BTW, what is the problem with some Sambucus...do they have a definite culture requirement? I have 'Southerland's Gold', which is facing north east and has been doing great for about 3 years now. Last year I hacked it way back and I noticed this year it's even more lush with a much more intense gold color. I would like to try 'Black Lace', but don't want it to die on me.

Eden all of them seem to grow well for you too...where do you have yours planted?

I see you grow Black Lace too, Cindy. Have you tried the Japanese Dissected Maple called 'Garnet'? I think it must be a particularly hardy variety. I've had mine for over 10 years and it does wonderfully and I'm a zone colder than you. It didn't even show any stress signs from our horrible season last year.

Oh well, gotta go...Have a great day all! Ei

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

It hit 91 here yesterday but extremely windy as it is supposed to be today too. There were severe thunderstorm warnings, but we only got rain. We got .6" and Rick was very happy as he just finished planting beans. I potted up some caladiums last night since the temps are supposed to be very warm for the next week or more. I think they are talking 95 on the weekend. I got this box of 60 from Sams but they are mixed. I really want to know the colors so I can better know where to put them.
    Im slowing getting the potager garden in shape. Even though I have one path left, I decided to plant. I have lots more room than I had before. We dont need that many veggies so I guess Ill have to fill it will annual flowers.

I looked at Black Lace but decided against it for now. Maybe if I see a reasonably priced one.

I dont know if any of you get the magazine Country Gardens, but it was fun to the spread that they had on the gardens at the Iowa State fair that we visited last year. They even featured the tropical garden that I had posted pictures of.

Deanne, your gardens are looking very lovely. I havent done even one container yet. I did plant a built in planter on the patio. You should have seen all the fabulous iris colors that they had at the arboretum.

Honey, I think I may have that same begonia. Very similar otherwise. I got it along with the copperleaf plant and fuchsia Gartenmeister at our local farm stores greenhouse. For a seasonal greenhouse, they get in some very nice plants. RE: Lime Ricky and Keylime, I only have the Keylime, but what a vigorous grower. It makes all my other heucheras look wimpy except Palace purple.
    Your container is absolutely fantastic. The lantern is such a great touch. Did you just get the pulmonaria? I just bought that one this past weekend. I planted it though.

Bug, I laughed and can identify with your comment about the vegetable garden being your trauma. The other night we had pasta alfredo with shrimp and asparagus. I tried the roasted last night with a little garlic salt and it was delicious.

T, funny but I too see floating bricks in Maries picture.

Ei, have you grown Opal basil? I planted some of that by seed. It is purple in color also.

Suzy, our local Walmart doesnt have anything good this year. It sounds like yours does.

V, I really like your vignette of containers.

Hi to all and have a fab day.

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

LOL! I seem to keep posting at the same time as someone else....Hi Michelle! I don't get Country Gardens, but when I see it at the newstand, I usually pick it up...I'll have to watch for that issue...is it the May or June issue?

Hmmm...Pasta Alfredo with aparagus and shrimp sounds lovely...Think I'll put that on the menu for next week! :-)

I have not tried 'Opal' Basil, but I will look for it the next time I'm out at the nurseries. I like another Basil too; called 'Thai'. It's another just for ornament and has the prettiest long lasting purple "spikey" flowers...I don't know how it tastes.

Okay, now I'm really off....TTYL! Ei

P.S. V - I'm glad Michelle mentioned your containers...I had meant to comment on that before. They really are lovely and so is your daughter! Love the fabric and color of her dress and those long dangly earrings. I love long dangly earrings, but they always look awful on me. I think you need a long sleek neck, like DD's to pull it off. She looks wonderful!

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

FLOATING BRICKS:
    It is most unfortunate that bricks do not levitate. It would have saved hours of back breaking work. ;-) But what you saw in the photo I posted before, certainly gave that impression! What actually happened was one of those aggravating things,. The truck that delivered the cubes of bricks was not able to cross our bridge because it was too tall and would have wiped out our willow tree...if not the bridge itself. So the driver placed them on the grass on the far side of the bridge. This was totally unsatisfactory, as it is a long stretch to get them to the vegetable garden from there. So I asked the company from whom I purchased them to get themn closer to the site. After much sighing and begging for extra money (I don't think so fellows....) they came and got them hoisted to the near side of the bridge, closer to the house. They did not do a careful job of it and simply dumped them from a front end loader. The center bricks of the cubes fell out, leaving the exterior ones in tact. So that is what you saw, a shell of bricks so to speak. Anyway, they are all placed on a pathway now, waiting for more finishing touches. The driveway is once again functional.

I am back from my adventure and all was just wonderful. I was unfamiliar with the countryside route, but the good news is that I did not fall asleep en route, something I often do in cars. I obviously selected the best roads! I saw a total of 4 cars over the 45 minute scenic drive there and only one vehicle on the way back! This was the first time I have ever done a solo drive in uncharted territory.

Chris, my clematis friend, and his new partner have lived in their red brick former schoolhouse for about a year now. She is an artist with a studio incorporated into the house. The studio used to be a garage/shed, but they built a large entryway between the house and shed and this has resulted in a great feel to the place...and it is a very useful and artistic space. No more gale force winds blowing between the buildings. This is a view from the back of the house:

{{gwi:159657}}

Chris loves unusual trees and over the years has begun quite a collection -on the cheap- from discards at nurseries. Now that he is my age, he has even begun spending money on a few trees as well! Here is one of the more ordinary ones.

{{gwi:159658}}

We had tea in the garden, chatted away...until we realized it was 12:30 and time for lunch and me to leave!!! So we had a thorough look-see at his collection of for sale items.

{{gwi:159659}}

The above photo is only part of what is available, but many are things that are not usually available in Canada.

This is my new Buckland Beauty:

{{gwi:159660}}

On my way home I munched on olive bread and an apple, bought lumber for my arbors-to-be, and came home a happy soul.

'bug

• chelone
    17 years ago

Boaters are nearing frenzy when it comes to getting their canvas repaired... all the repairs that could have been done over the winter! all of a sudden they are "emergencies". ;)

Hope all are well in "virtual land"; not much time to read, frankly, even though I may wish to.

I am witnessing a true "slug fest" here. 15" of rain in 4 days and cool temperatures have bouyed their numbers. Yikes! they're even going after German iris and Oriental lilies. What's a girl to do?! Lily leaf beetles have been present but the "squishing rock" has thusfar proven satisfactory; though I am not confident it will be all that will be required as the temperatures warm. Aphids on the New Dawn, too. eh!

Wrecks is coming around, assailing passersby only when he's out with Daddy (lol). I am truly the "iron fist in the velvet glove"... or something like that! Cats are all fine and the kill ratio is down... must be the weather; but Polly has taken to "sharpening her claws" on the PeeGee standards... she's worn them down to the green... so I guess it's time for some protection for the poor things. Whodathunkit?

Mum is becoming increasingly dependant. Some days are fine, others are pure torture... it's so sad to see the essence of a person drain away before your very eyes. She still enjoys going outdoors for a stroll with the feline escort, but more routine things like emptying the urostomy pouch require reminding. It doesn't bode well for the future, frankly. But for now it's OK, and I have the summer to deal with her home and its CONTENTS. (Can't wait! NOT).

Tree peony is just beginning to blossom, the bulbs were lovely before the deluge, and other things that like cool, moist are faring quite well. I tried to must some enthusiam for annuals the other day but my mind wandered back to Mum and reading tags was only a reminder of greater responsibilities, it provided no "escape". So waiting for a more opportune moment will be required.

Again, hope all are well and the Idyllunion (number 3?!) is a rousing success and joy to you all.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Still no deliveries. I kept the computer off all day to await incoming calls. The only one that came in was a next door neighbor needing to borrow a tool from Nolon. :-(

I spent the day piddling around indoors. The only outdoor thing that I did was to plant the small strawberry jar. Not a very artistic job, but I chose sun-lovers.....put 4 Marigold "Aurora Yellow Fire" in the holes, and an Angelonia "Serena Purple" in the top.
    I think I will plant one of the lovely coleus from Deanne in the copper pot.I think Sedona would be a great choice. I was surprised to find it *is* a solid copper pot that came with one of my auction lots.

The heat and humidity is very oppressive here today, but I am pretty much over the headache. Just draggy from the heat.
    The possibility of severe weather is in our forecast for later today.

Hi Chelone! Good to see your post. I have snuck ( sneaked) over to the New England Forum and kept up with your reports and pics on the flood waters.

Marie, I am just like you when it comes to driving to unfamiliar sites. A few years ago I was not that way, but I get more and more cautious as I age. Otherwise I like to drive, on my good days. I'm so glad you had such a good and successful trip. What is that " more ordinary" tree? It is gorgeous.

Eden, I wish I *could* have help with the yard work, but a body has to do what they have to do, as long as they can. I can see the time coming when I will have to have help. or move to a less demanding place.

Oh My ! Deanne. I sure need to move one of my Asaos into the sun! How old is yours?

Hi to all that I didn't *speak* to. I am reading your posts, but am overwhelmed by trying to respond to each one.

Marian

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Good evening Idylls!

Beautiful weather today, finally got some work done outside this afternoon. Newly divided and moved hostas are sulking though, they grew too large during all that rain! I like dividing them before the leaves unfurl. After digging and dividing some of those monsters, I think I can finally bring myself to allow space for plants to reach mature sizes. I have hostas that I grew from seed in December of 2001 that are reaching 2-3 feet across this year.

It is literally raining poop in my yard - the winter moth caterpillars are munching the trees and doing what they do - it sounds like a light rain hitting the leaves - a virtual s#!tstorm! Pretty gross, but it should only last another week or two until they pupate.

Hi Chelone, glad you stopped by. I saw your pics on the NE forum, and they were striking - mother nature at her worst. Your pic of the bridge was better than the one in the local newspaper (we have family that live in that area). Good to hear that things with your Mum are okay, and that you are keeping that biggie boy in line. I'm still not sure if I'll make it to the NE swap, but I'll see you there if I do.

'Bug, your road trip sounds like a great time. Are those cones really that pinky-red color? How many clematis did you come home with? I never realized there was so much variety in clematis until you started posting your pictures. Keep 'em coming! Good information above in that memo from the nursery.

Deanne, love that combo with 'Wine & Roses' and 'Jack Frost' and the color echo with the clematis - did you plan that? I forgot about the pink daylily until you mentioned it, thanks for remembering. Maybe sometime in June we should get together.

Ei, some of my heuchera and tiarella are looking small this year too - I think it is a combination of the drought and the crazy winter weather we had.

Suzy, you did well at Walmart - I think the key thing with the big box stores is to get there right after the shipment arrives, before the "skilled" employees have time to "take care" of the stock. I know what you mean about gardening and your family; they are always wanting things like a hot meal, clean laundry and a ride to and from school when I'd just rather be gardening. My kids have agreed that I can pick them up in my garden clogs and dirty jeans as long as I don't get out of the car.

Honey, beautiful containers. I like the one with the lantern best - especially the begonia. I'm glad your contractor is showing up and making progress.

A few of you mentioned Baptisia 'Purple Smoke' - I just bought one this weekend too! There is this great local plant sale here, in a woman's backyard, and they have an incredible selection of perennials. I was able to sneak over there on Saturday AM before we went to Maine for the wedding. Many of the plants are small, but the prices are really cheap. Along with the usual suspects, I bought some things that I had never heard of - Salvia azurea, campanula takesimana and gynmasta savatori variegata. Have any you grown these? I've googled them, but personal recommendations are always the best.

Well, DS is behind me now waiting for his turn on the computer. I have to fight for computer time around here, the kids use it for schoolwork and for games, and even DH who didn't even want to buy a computer years ago, spends a fair amount of time using it.

Hi V, T, Cindy, Mary, Marion, Eden and anyone else I missed.

-Wendy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Good Evening all!

Just came in as the last bits of light are fading. Good to be able to mow after dinner until almost 9PM!

Marian, I believe my friend said that the tree was a weeping spruce. They are fun with their new yellow growth and red candles. I think the colour is accurate. It was quite a sight! He tends to like trees with contorted shapes, interesting, even exfoliating bark, oddly shaped leaves. Quite fascinating things, but some took a beating over the winter. There are lots of rabbits there and the snow is deep. It is even colder there than here. YUCK. Lucky for him, he managed a trip to France in April.

Deanne, I'm really unsure about giving advice with group 2 clematis. I asked a friend to help out, so maybe she will answer here or privately if she knows.

Wendy....OK, I'll tell. I came home with 10 more. (BLUSH!) I have so many I still need to plant from last year too. But Chris gets some wonderful things and I have little will power when it come to clematis! Because he's a friend I get extraordinary prices too. It's funny, people who really adore something tend to not care about the money aspect of things. So he 'gave' me 10 clematis for $100- which is an amazing bargain considering not one of them is normally sold in Canada. We used to have an artist/carpenter friend who made a table and 4 chairs for us. They were sensational and he even cut the wood for them! When it came time to pay him, DH realized he was asking less than the cost of the wood alone! DH paid him what he thought was fair and the fellow was so delighted! He'd spent weeks working on them too. Not only that, his work is featured in the National Gallery in Ottawa. Just no business sense.

Chelone! There you are worrying about the beetles and slugs etc. Today I can safely say my hostas are looking super! Who knows tomorrow though... I am so sorry about your Mom and the work and emotions involved. What you said, "so sad to see the essence of a person drain away before your very eyes", is a heart breaker for me. I know it was less hard on the parent than the guardian in my case...but it's a corker now to even see it happening to friends. Still near the surface i guess. I have a friend in England who is dealing with his Mom...and it is a horror for him...even though his Mom is well tended to. He is doing a saintly job of things...but resenting it, even though he cares immensely. I'm glad the kitties are up to their antics. I found some baby bunnies munching on one of my Latvian corydalis tonight. Not the plain old lutea of course, the ones that were a birthday present from a friend abroad. KILLLLLLLLL,Charlotte! ;-)

Tonight I'm leaving all the plants outdoors. I hope it goes well! There may be some showers, but the temperature low should be about 50F.

Tired now and off to read and rest with my mutt and kitties. Hardly any space for me in bed.

'bug

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

Well I for one am bummed tonight (this morning). First of all, despite a lovely trip for more container plants with my Mom (and she really loaded up, I was proud of her!) I got nothing else done. No planting, no cleaning up of beds, no setting up of the statue. Ugh. It was just one of those days.

This afternoon the Tupperware boxes came, so I had to sort all that stuff out for everyone. Still have one lid that I can't figure out who it goes to (it's a warranty replacement lid). I put a call into the consultant but no reply yet. I did get lots of goodies for myself however, it worked out pretty well. But I'm sure I won't be doing it again for a long while, if ever. It was definitely an experience.

I'm also worried about my kitty. He's on day 5 of the new antibiotic and that stuff must be AWFUL. When I give it to him (and he really hates it) he salivates horribly and looks like he's just miserable. Sometimes he even retches. About the only thing he will even attempt to put in his stomach is the gravy off the moist food I've tried spoiling him with, and milk. I know milk isn't good for him, but he isn't eating. I finally looked up the med on the internet and it sometimes causes gastrointestinal upset - well I think this has gone on long enough and I'm calling the vet in the morning. He's been on one antibiotic or another for 12 days now, and barely eaten. He needs to be able to eat. I'm a bad mom, I didn't have the heart to make him take the medicine tonight.

We had some gentle rain tonight, and it looks like a little more is on the way. It will make the gardens easier to weed.

I'm off to bed - poor Licorice has been sleeping on my pillow the last few nights, just above my head. I think he needs a little more TLC. And food.

suzy

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Ei I think Sue has previously recommended Amethyst Mist (& Ive happy to second after her rec) you might give that one a try. Funny you should mention the Acer Garnet it almost came home w/ me last weekend from Lowes they had cute pots of them & I thought, hmmm, a container plant but then I would have needed a nice pot, etc., so I didnt my problem w/ Jap. maples is the sun is so harsh in my garden in summer (mostly full sun all day) & I also have so little space for things that are going to be 8 or taller in 10 years (ha, assuming Im still there then I guess I could make it someone elses problem....). I keep looking but havent "bitten" the sambucus Black Lace was my attempt at "faking it" Im also very partial to the tri-color variegated acers like "Butterfly" yummy but need even more shade.... sigh.

Deanne your garden is looking lovely as usual that Asao has such a beautiful color I have one in a container but it has yet to bloom. Id defer to GBs recommendations on when to prune but I think usually after they bloom you can cut down as far as you want if youre trying to regain control of it

My sambucus Black Lace is doing fine so far but I cannot say that about the sambucus pulvulerenta its got horrible spots like scorching or something probably in a spot where its not getting enuf sun...

Yikes, Michelle 91 degrees! yuck altho I think I heard it might hit 90 here this weekend too and its hard to believe w/ all the torrents of rain everyones gotten (including here in this area) but I heard the weather guy has were UNDER 4" of rain for the year so far!!! I actually had to do a bunch of watering last nite because its supposed to hit 80 today & things (esp. the clematis) were looking parched already. I do have the County Gardens mag but havent seen it all yet Ill be sure to look for that article.

Gardenbug Love that Buckland Beauty! Wow. Worth driving for wasnt it? And the price for 10 unusual, hard to get clematis thats a true Friend!! Neat which ones are they?

EEEw Wendy how nasty to have to endure that re the winter moth caterpillars!

Chelone nice to hear from you & Im glad things are "okay" I too have elder parent issues but you are a saint to have to attend daily to her care it is indeed heart-wrenching to see them disintegrate before our eyes....

Baptisia Purple Smoke is so pretty I saw it in bloom at a local nursery & almost bought it but I have 4 others already and running out of room not sure where it would live Im learning to hold off a bit now re enriching the plant ghetto I do have. But its still on my wish list it is really unusually striking I think. Id love to see some plant combos with it in them.

Suzy Im sorry to hear about your kitty I hope hes doing better this a.m. but it is certainly worth calling the vet when they stop eating & drinking its so easy for small pets to get dehydrated quickly.

Ok, off to work gloomy day but has prospects of t-storm this p.m good for the gardens.

-Cindy

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

'Morning all. The drama continues. The soil out front is so horrid -- blue clay -- that the contractor didn't want to lay the pavers on top of it b/c it's so spongy even with 18" of limestone base. It moves as you walk on it. So they had to remove the clay and replace it with limestone. No wonder I can't get anything to grow out there. It really was the worst spongy stuff I've ever seen. The contractor said that in his 16 yrs. of doing this type work, he's never encountered this problem with soil.

So, while I went to run an errand last nite, DH made an executive decision thinking he was helping. He told the contractor to remove the clay from the planting beds also, line it with the crushed limestone for drainage and cover w/topsoil. The idea was good, the mat'l used was not. They put in the limestone just before they quit last nite. So this am, I reversed the decision. They can reuse alot of the limestone for the path base, but I told them to dig out the rest and dispose of it. There is no way I'd ever overcome all that alkaline from the limestone. I told them to line the bed with gravel instead and then add a topsoil/compost mix and grade.

Thanks for all your nice comments on my containers. The others are a mess. I've never had dahlias and coleus look sooo bad. Might just have to replace some stuff.

Gotta run. I need to finish up my list for the other landscape designer I'm meeting w/today. I'll have to catch up with y'all later. Hi to everyone.

Honey

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning Idyllers,

It is a scrumptious morning here and it looks like the weekend is going to be a real summery one with temps in the 80s. The night temps for the coming week are supposed to stay in the 50s so I can get those coleus back outside and get the lights off. Im past ready to get all those plants outside. Last night Doug and I went to Sams and he bought me this fabu cast aluminum bakers rack. It will fit perfectly against my little deck on the patio and it is just the thing for housing the house plants for the summer. It has a powder coated finish and goes with the patio set so Im over the moon.

Im finally making some real headway on getting the pot ghetto in the driveway dealt with. The piles of plants are finally going down. I do have to say however, I think I have too many fuchsias! ROTFLOL and maybe just maybe too many coleuses. OK now Ive said it and its off my chest and Ill just deal with it. One of my problems is that Id really like to grow all those lovely Rosy Dawn coleus as specimen plants to see what they are going to do instead of putting them in combinations. Ill have to see. My brain is still mulling over what to do with them all. What a great problem though, dont you think? Te he!

Suzy, so sorry your kitty is not well and not dealing well with the meds. That would upset me too. ~~ I dont know how you dealt with doing a Tupperware party. Id have to shoot myself. LOL I cant even stand to go to wedding or baby showers so you can imagine how much I enjoy Tupperware parties.

Bug, it really sounds like you had a wonderful day and came home with some prizes. I cant wait to see them blooming in your garden. Good for you for doing the road trip by yourself. It always gives me a sense of accomplishment when I do something outside of my comfort zone. I dont like driving somewhere Ive never been to when I have passengers. ~~ So what is that conifer with the lovely red cones? ~~Thanks very much for sending along the info for pruning my Asao. ~~ I so wish you could see my Miss Bateman on the mailbox. She is blooming her fool head off at the moment. Everyone is most impressed and I tell them that is what clematis are supposed to look like!

Wendy, Some of that combination with the Asao/Jack Frost etc. was planned but some was not. I did plan for the color of the Wine and Roses to make a large dark area to go with all the dark purple heuchera I have in that garden. It has turned out better than even I thought it would. Right now I have some wine colored iris that are just coming into bloom and they also pick up that color and it looks great. Ive got a large patch of emerging astilbe in between the iris and the wegelia so the iris flowers are seen against the lighter astilbe foliage. ~~ Definitely we should plan to get together sometime in June. Maybe you can come for lunch or dinner and finally have some time to see all the corners of this garden. I know every time youve come up it has either been winter or no time to see the back yard.

Marian, I think that Asao has been in that location for five or six years. The second year it didnt come back and I planted something else there and then the third year up pops this plant and I had no idea what it was. I think you IDd it for me if I recall correctly. It has been just lovely the last couple years. That spot gets about six or seven hours of sun a day. It is shaded by the canopy from the oak tree around noon time and is shaded in the late afternoons but other than that it gets sun. ~~ I hope you didnt get any of that predicted severe weather. Also hope your appliances come today.

Chelone, how GREAT to hear from you! Ive been thinking of you and your situation often. Glad to hear you are OK after our biblical deluges. Ive got hordes of slugs here as well and I dont think there will be anything I can do to stop their wreckage this year. Im thinking of getting rid of any plants that they find too tasty and replacing with slug resistant varieties but now youve noticed that they are after everything so as you said Whats a girl to do?" We have lily beetles here as well and so far their numbers are under control but Ill see what happens after a weekend of 80 degree temps. That will bring any dormant beetles to the surface so Ill have to do beetle patrol in the Am.

Michelle, I gave up veggie gardening years ago. For some reason I can somewhat deal with the bugs on my flowers but on my vegetables it just made me crazy. ~~ Id have loved to visit that arboretum with you and seen all those wonderful dwarf iris. ~~ Youll have to post pics of your containers when you get them done. Ill bet you have time to work on them this weekend?

Eileen, you are so sweet! I agree that Asao is a beautiful thing. I also like that it blooms early then is done for the season because that color would so clash with other things I have blooming there later on. ~~ I dont know about Sambucus because my only experience with them was the Black Beauty that died on me and the Sutherland Gold that is doing beautifully. I really have no idea why one is doing so well and the other died off with the same exposure and culture. Go figure? That Black Lace sure is a pretty thing though and Id love to have a spot for that somewhere.

Cindy, hard to believe you are needing rain there although with the windy weather we have been having and the high temps they are predicting for the weekend Ill probably be dragging the hoses around myself this weekend. ~~ So how large is your S Black Lace and how long has it been planted. Wish I could see a photo of it.

OK time to get motivated and get my day started. Ive not been going to the gym this week because Im fighting off a cold. Zicam to the rescue again. For some reason lots of sleep and taking Zicam as recommended totally diffuses my getting really ill with an upper respiratory infection. Have a great day everyone!

Deanne

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Hooody hooo!
    Ack-no that's not a tornado, that's my head spinning round and round: ). Way too busy here to idyll these days and I'm hoping there's end in sight.

Today Ryan has his hearing retest and I need to pick up snaps for my latest costume creation-I LOVE this one-pics to follow.

The art show was a hit. I somehow got stuck as the punch bowl lady. I was dubbed 'the punch patrol'.
    AJ's second band concert of the year was precious from a mom's point of view anyway. Amongst the squawks and sour notes I could actually hear him(only four kids in beginner band!)and he had no obvious jitters.

MIL came to the concert and then over our house for dinner after the concert. This was the first time here since her surgery last August. She did just fine.

I have an interview Tues. morning with the health service company that trains and hires school health aides...I haven't had an interview in over TEN years(gulp). I am so nervous lol! I'll be fine but I feel like an out of the loop stay home mom; ) Hopefully I'll be trained in time to serve as the official IU3 medic by July...

Yeona I owe you a bday pic! Things should slow down here by tomorrow-that's when I'll have the costume finished.

Take it easy~happy gardening!

~Babs

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Good morning. This will be a drive-by downer post, but I so want to reach out to my friends here because I know you'll have great words of encouragement.

We were supposed to go to my brother's on Saturday for my nephew's graduation party, but I had not heard any specifics from them so I called last night. (My brother is not real good about calling me; I'm always the one to call him.) Well, the first piece of bad news was that the nephew had failed a class and would not be graduating this week. He needs to go to summer school to make up the credit. But the bigger news is that my brother has just been diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus. He still doesn't have all the questions answered, but the general outlook is not good becuase it's already spread. It's very surprising as he doesn't have any of the major risk factors (he doesn't smoke, he's not over 70, he's not African-American unless there are some HUGE family secrects I'm not privy to...) He will be 48 on Saturday - way, way too young.

This way, way overshadowed the news that the spot on my leg is completely benign.

So please send some of your good thoughts and prayers to my brother and his family. They've got some tough times ahead of them. Thanks, friends.

V.

• just_t
    17 years ago

I'm not sure if she reads Idylls ..... but I miss her posts and wanted to wish her a very Happy Birthday so......

Happy Birthday Woody!
    {{gwi:159661}}

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

V, I am so sorry to hear all the sad news concerning your brother's family. Disappointing about the son's graduation, but the cancer news is just the worst. I hope and pray that he is able to find the best possible treatment and that the outcome will be a good one.

Michelle

P.S. Great to hear your report was good. That kind of skin cancer is nothing to fool around with. I know of a man that recently died of it because he ignored his spot as "nothing" for too long.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

V! I'm *so* sorry to hear the news...you must be beside yourself! There has just been way too much of this kind of thing going on - it's very scary. I pray that there will be a better outlook for your brother than his initial diagnosis. I wish there were something more I could say... You will all be in my prayers. Ei

• just_t
    17 years ago

Oh V!!! Will be thinking of you, your brother & his family. Words aren't sufficient at difficult times as this....

We're here for you!

T.

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

V- I have been working on a longer post, but happened to pop in and saw your most recent one about your brother, I will say prayers for your brother and your family. I am so sad for you all that this has happened. I hope he can keep his spirits up, because they can do amazing things.

D.

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

Oh V - I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I'll be praying that there will be good treatment for this and things will come out well. Sometimes life just gets so hard for us. I know it's said God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but sometimes I just want to yell STOP! ENOUGH! Hang in there, we're here to listen.

A quick update on my Licorice. Last night when I went to bed, he was laying on my pillow and seemed so weak. I took him to the kitchen and finally found something he wanted to eat - raw ground chuck. He ate two big spoonfuls (hand fed, of course), then purred loudly and washed and back to bed purring loudly. I called the vet this morning and they said I was right to not give him any more of that medicine, they are putting him back on the other one that he tolerates better. He just ate some more ground chuck and is laying on the deck. He's pretty weak, I think, with not having eaten, so if I can get him to eat a few times I think he will feel better. I'm going to get him some of that cat milk this afternoon and give him that instead of the regular milk, if he'll drink it.

Forgot to tell you that the night before last, after I planted the urns, something came in the night and dug them up and threw out the plants. I replanted them and they weren't bothered last night. Hopefully the mysterious night stalker will go elsewhere.

OK, off to putter in the flowers and baby the cat.

suzy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Oh V! This is going to be a tough time alrighty. Even talking on the phone may be physically painful. 48 is VERY young! I know! Also, whoever said that "God doesn't give us more than we can handle" ...hasn't lead my life or that of other people I know. There have been several times that were definitely beyond unbearable. I hope this is NOT one of those times for you. I will be thinking of you and your brother and his family, and hoping that there is better news around the corner.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

We had more rain last night. Warm and windy predicted for the weekend. Figures the nicest day is Friday.

Babs, good luck with the interview. Im sure youll do just fine. I remember the days of those first band concerts. Music to the parents ears at least.

Deanne, Im using Zicam as well. I wasnt as faithful over the weekend because I was gone and was feeling pretty good, but now I have it a little worse than I should have. It still isnt nearly as bad as some of the colds I have had. I hope you can keep yours under control. Some of the people at work have been sick with a stomach bug. Id rather have my cold, thanks. Funny, but Rick seems to think that if I do all this gardening, I should have some veggies. Actually, over the years the veggie garden has become more of a perennial holding bed. I also grow only veggies that are no fuss, easy to grow kinds.

Ei & Cindy the issue of Country Gardens is Summer 2006 since it is a quarterly. The tropical garden is shown on the front cover as well as in the article.

Chelone, great to hear an update from you. Im sorry to hear that your mom is getting more dependent. I think of you often.

Bug, it looks like you had an interesting and productive trip.

Honey, it sounds like quite a project that you have going on.

I came home from work yesterday and saw 3 rabbits lounging on my front lawn. Of course like a silly fool I get out of the car and chase them away (for the moment at least)

If you are still reading here Woody, I wish you a special day. Happy Birthday Woody!

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

V- just read your news -- thinking of you and your family - how tough & hard to hear that news. As others have said here, though, determination & positive attitude as well as cutting edge advancements always seem to make a difference - hope these things all count for your brother!!

Michelle - that is an especially gorgeous shot of your garden!! Uplifting to us all.

-Cindy

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

V, I'm so sorry to hear that your family has gotten this terrible news. I'll be keeping you and your brother in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be praying that when all of the questions are answered the news will be better.

Eden

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

(((((V))))) , that is such sad news! I do hope the prognosis isn't not as dire as first thought.
    I'm sorry about the nephew's graduation, too, but happy that your leg is okay.

Suzy, the raccoons dig my newly planted plants out of my pots,and out of the ground. I have to put cages around them until they are established. I'm glad your kitty is better.

Honey...what a drag! I think a lot of our yard is overlying bedrock, with just a thin layer of soil. I hope I never have to suffer through what you , (and others), are/have, with yard renovations. I hate such messes.

Babs, great to read your positive report. I hope Ryan gets a good diagnosis.

Deanne, we didn't even get a sprinkle.....:-(
    I was hoping for a nice rain. Oh well, there is still rain in the weekend forecast.

Marie, thanks for the id on that pretty tree. I love those red cones!

My 'new' refrigerator is 'home' and chilling! The friend came this morning and got Nolon and they had the 'frig back in no time. The friend and Nolon also moved the old side-by-side down into the utility room. Now, we will eventually move the old freezer completely out and put the side-by-side in it's place.

Home Depot called, and the delivery of the new range is scheduled for Saturday forenoon.
    Soon all will be back to normal at our house...and I can leave the computer on! :-)

I got the rest of my plants into pots, except the seedling agastaches.I don't think any of my combos would win any prizes...:-(
    Maybe they will improve as they grow.

TTYAL

Marian

• yeonasky
    17 years ago

((((((((((V)))))))))) and ((((((((((Brother)))))))))). So sorry to hear about your DB. I will be sending good thoughts and prayers for him and all the family. I wish we could do more. I found some info on a treatment which I know nothing about, but thought I'd pass it along anyway. You never know what might work. I searched google.ca (Canadian Google) using the words esophagus cancer herbs.

More research.

Great to hear that the spot on your leg was nothing. I wonder if we should all just get those spots taken off, no matter how small.

Yeona

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Yeona:

{{gwi:159663}}

Happy Birthday Woody:

{{gwi:159664}}

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

OK, I haven't gotten any puttering in the flowers done yet. By the time I got ready to do it, it started to rain outside, and it still is. Typical hot humid afternoon thunderstorms in Indiana. Darn it, DH is gone for the evening so I was looking forward to a long patch of gardening without interruption (When's dinner? Where's X?).

A funny thing happened on the way home from the vet where I picked up the medicine for Licorice (and got some more suggestions for food for him). I stopped at a local feed store. They always have a small garden area with the occasional nice perennial. Today they had 7 nice perennials. They all came home with me, begged me to take them away. I felt sorry for them so of course I obliged. I'd tell you what they all are, but of course it's raining...

suzy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Woody tells me that she received TWO birthday cakes for the big day's celebration. One was from the longterm care facility where she volunteers in the garden, the other from family. She also received several gardening books and from her DH, a dwarf Japanese Maple that she loves. She managed to see the good wishes from Idylls also and expressed concern for V and her brother. Her oldest dog appears to be declining. The vet has given them a second pain drug to see if that will bring some relief. The dog is 15 now. There may be tough decsions to be made one day soon.

It has been a blah morning and a lovely hot afternoon. I managed to plant a few ghetto items and moved the Caryopteris Snow Fairy to a spot where we dug out the Golden Wings Rose. I really loved that rose except it was grafted and constantly had thorny suckers that needed to be removed. I MAY have started an own root cutting last Fall, but it will be a while before I can tell how well it is doing. Planted hosta 'Striptease'(should have put that near Black Lace LOL) more blue woodland phlox, a geum, more tiarella to spread about, etc. Tons more to do but I also need to weed and ammend soil and work on my arbors. I simply don't know where to begin so do bits and pieces as I feel up to it. Right now I ache!
    DH wrote me from Shanghai that yesterday he visited with a student's family in a Shanghai suburb. The suburb has a population of 10,000,000! Anyway he had an amazing time but I guess I'll have to wait another week to hear details. Tomorrow he visits a university, then Sunday he heads to Beijing for another university inspection.

That's all she wrote...
    'bug

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

{{gwi:159665}}

Happy Birthday Woody...I hope you had a lovely day! Ei

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

V - I am so very sorry to hear the sad news about your brother. What a shock to go from anticipating a happy family celebration to contemplating a battle with cancer. I hope that with the best medical care and the support of your family things are more hopeful than seem possible now. My thoughts are going out to all of you.

Mary

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I wish to give the entire quote in reference to God giving us more than we can bear. It is : " No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, that you may be able to endure it."

• taryn
    17 years ago

V, I'm so sorry to read your news. Cancer is such a nasty, non-descriminating disease...Heartfelt prayers and positive vibes going out to all of your family members. Doctors are human and therefore fallible, so I'm hoping they aren't right about his prognosis. Here is a link to the site that my acupuncturist said would help Bruce's immune system to produce more natural killer cells, which are what fight cancer. I'm seeing her for hormone balancing currently and saw 2 cancer patients (both no hair from chemo) at her office last week buying these supplements. She has had much success with them, even with advanced liver and colon cancer,and brain cancer. I wish I could have convinced Bruce to try them, but he wouldn't hear of it. Maybe it could help your brother. Thinking of you all...

Taryn

PS Happy Birthday Woody! Will be back tomorrow with a pic for you

pps Offer came in but is low. It is all his bank would loan him, but SHE owns a house as well. Neither will be ready to sell until the fall. They know our bottom line and LOVE the house and I think are going to TRY to swing it.

ppps Got our copy of the home section spread, which some newspaper carriers deliver early. He couldn't have praised our home any higher! pics tomorrow...

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner