Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmcilhargie

Idyll #265 We're Singin' (And Plantin') In The Rain

Lara Noles
17 years ago

Help! We're caught under a spinning rain maker here that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Rain in the forecast for the next week. Really I'm not complaining, as long as the temps stay above freezing. The plants seem to be loving the cool, wet weather.

I've been chasing Bella around all day and I am beat. How did I get any housework done with 3 children? As a grandma I'm not getting much done with only 1. Could it be that I'm slowing down or is the earth just spinning faster?

Babs, watch out for the vacuum. Just when you're not looking they'll turn on you and attack!

I'll be back tomorrow when I'm not too tired to think, let alone type. Have a good evening and try to stay warm and dry.

Eden

Comments (109)

• just_t
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good morning!

Thank you for the birthday wishes. :oD Mary, your tree is beautiful, is it in your yard? Marian, your bird is lovely, is it a bluebird? I don't believe I've ever seen one with that coloring here. Blue is my favorite color so you picked the perfect bird, thank you. I just opened another window and see that there are many more messages (I stopped writing this and went outside to snap some pictures of the fog/mist coming up from the river and laying on the pasture). Thank you to everyone for your lovely cards and greetings.

Yep, a few minutes ago (now it is over an hour ago---I keep getting side-tracked as I write this) I turned the corner, hit the top of one of those hills in life...and I turned 50. Last year I spent my birthday crying all day long. Poor DH came home from work, said "Happy Birthday! Did you have a good day?" and all he got was sobs and hiccups. LOL I can laugh about it now.....but wow, it was a painful day for some reason.

Since that time I've puzzled over why I hate & dread my birthday so much (I usually don't answer the phone on my birthday and try to avoid lunch offered by friends or family). I wasn't always that way, but each year had become worse & worse. I finally figured out that over 12 years ago, my father was dying from cancer and was in the hospital on my birthday. I sat with him, alone, we watched M*A*S*H on television, then he turned to me and said he was sorry I was spending my birthday in a hospital. I told him I was happy to be anywhere that he was and I, too, was sorry that he was in the hospital. He then told me "you take care of those two girls" (my daughters) and I replied "I will". We both knew he was saying 'good-bye' and thinking that he wouldn't be around for any more birthdays.....for me, for his granddaughters, for anyone. He did get released from the hospital, went home and died a few days later.

I think that is when I started dreading my birthday and avoiding people on that day. I didn't put it together until a few days ago when a friend asked me "what happened to make you hate your birthday? I want to shout from the rooftops when it is my birthday!" I decided it was time to figure it out. All I came up with was dad wasn't here any longer, that last birthday, with him, was one I remember vividly but wished it hadn't happened like that and like a little kid I was pouting--I wish my dad was still here.

Soooo, (long story over) I decided that from now on I'd enjoy celebrating this day as the blessing that it is....many people don't get to celebrate turning 50 (or whatever number) and I am quite blessed to be able to.

Thank you for your wishes......they are much appreciated. :oD

Oh! Mary mentioned taking the photos with something 'new'. Yes, I have a new camera. My very dear hubby knows how much I enjoy taking photos so he bought me a new digital SLR camera. Mary & her hubby were so very kind in answering my questions as I was researching which camera and lenses to choose. It will take me ages to understand how to use it well, and it will be quite awhile until we can buy a telephoto lens for it....but watch out when I do........lol, you'll be seeing the glint in an elk's eye when that time comes. I was so thrilled to catch Boo's mane flowing in the wind as he ran. I lost some of the sharpness & clarity when I downsized the photos but there are many, many settings to figure out/play with and I'll work on keeping the detail without making the photos 48" x 32", lol.

T.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Deanne those photos are bone-chilling I sure hope no more rain for a couple days for NE .... Weve got sun here today (for a while) Im feeling so cheerful (even at work) amazing what those rays will do to you.

V and Eden (?) re the Well Tended Perennial Garden tip re cutting back perennials it really works on a lot of things for me in this area (Z6-7) but she also lists those that do not seem to take to it "well" (I havent tested those figure she probably knows from actual experimenting) Its a really handy reference. And Ive found it works very very well on my large sedums, phlox paniculata, monardas Im cutting a bunch of that stuff back in half now, and some I just cut down in staggered rows (the phlox) which helps bloom time, etc.,

Suzy congrats on DS whos got the scholarship thats neat! And so lucky the other DS had a not more horrible encounter w/ those deer.

Ill check in later for more "eye candy" its such a treat to get thru the day in an ugly office when I sneak a peak at these gorgeous gardens!!

-Cindy

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Happy, Happy Birthday to a very special lady! Hope your day is wonderful...

{{gwi:159862}}

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday T!

{{gwi:159863}}

• taryn
    17 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERESA!

{{gwi:159865}}

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Taryn
    P.S. Hi everyone, and I hope to catch up with ya'll soon...

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday, Theresa!

{{gwi:159867}}

It's so sad you have the reminder of your horrific loss on your b'day, but hopefully you're comforted by the warm and loving memories that it brings up, too.

Oh, I love all the pix!

Deanne, thanks for updating us on the flooding in your area. It's just so sad for all those who have lost homes and businesses. I hope the losses are covered by insurance. Even so, it's awful to have to deal with the aftermath.

V, so sorry you're having trouble with the insurance. I hope that hard drive and info wasn't stolen, that it just crashed.

Short post from me this am. Gotta run to the store.

TTYL,
    Honey

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Go for it T, ENJOY YOUR DAY!

{{gwi:159868}}

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

The sun is shining today whoo hoo! Although, I believe rain is predicted for Thurs and Sat. On Sat. I have to go the Minneapolis for my nieces 1st Communion. I hope to accomplish a lot on my day off tomorrow. I dont think I mentioned what a great time Laura, my mom and I had at the Teahouse on Sat. Ive added a link below if you are interested.

Deanne, I hope you are still dry. Your pictures are really something. They were showing pictures of the Merrimack River this a.m. again. The floating greenhouses is a terrible sight.

Honey, I could send you some of the Blue Denim or bring it to IU3. I received it from a lady who is really into iris.

Eden, sorry to hear that Abraham isnt doing well.

T, your new camera does a great job. LOL "me and the gang" There are sure a lot of gorgeous pictures already for your birthday. I hope that your birthday can be a joyful day, although I can see why you would mentally connect it with the last day with your dad. Im glad you shared the story with us.

Drema, it sounds like you scored at the nursery. I have looked for the Angelica Gigas also and havent found it locally. It looks like a cool plant.

Sue, I think you mentioned planting the castor and hyacinth bean seeds. I am no seed expert, but its not too late. You could actually direct sow now.

Hopefully, those who are too wet start to dry out today.

Michelle

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday T!!!! I'll post a photo when I get home later, but I wanted to send out good wishes asap.

Monique

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

T- Hope your day is everything you could wish!

D.

{{gwi:159869}}

• deanneart
    17 years ago

{{gwi:159870}}

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

{{gwi:159871}}
    (sorry I don't mean to step on the bday wishes!) T, mine's coming for you in a bit...: )

Defense details to come as well....I can breathe again!

~Babs

• just_t
    17 years ago

WHOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Congratulations Chris (DR. CHRIS!!!) and Babs!!!

What wonderful news!!!! Eager to hear the details. :o)

I just got home from town and need to finish putting away groceries.

Thank you for the lovely birthday cards and wishes. :o)

T.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

The dragons are slain and Chris is the victor! Congratulations!

The prof here says "Gee, I even understand his title!" ;-)

{{gwi:159872}}

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Babs - that is fabulous, fabulous news! Many congratulations and a big hug to Dr Chris!

Mary

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wonderful news Babs! Congratulations to Dr. Chris! I'm so pleased for you BOTH!

Eden

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Congratulations Dr.Chris ! Great news, Babs.

Yes Teresa, that is an Eastern Bluebird. A patriotic fellow, isn't he...:-)

Well, I bought a brand new range today. The first new one that I have had in many many years. It will be delivered next week. I bought it at Home Depot, and it has to be shipped from elsewhere.

Marian

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

{{gwi:157883}}

Glad you decided to enjoy your BD again.

And congrats to Dr. Chris too! Wow, Babs, that's just great!

Sue

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Is there a doctor in the house? LOL! Congratulations to Dr. Chris and his wonderful wife Babs! :-) That's terrific news! Ei

• gardeninbc
    17 years ago

I couldn't resist:
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY T :)
    {{gwi:159874}}

Yes, we have our very own woodpecker.
    Doing his best to make multiple homes out of ours, so I commiserate with your recent woes.

Cheers,
    Barb

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

{{gwi:159875}}

Marie, how's your Cotinus 'Golden Spirit'? Mine leafed out a week or two ago.

Congrats Dr. Chris and Babs!

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

{{gwi:159876}}

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Woohoo!!!! Congratulations to Dr. Chris!!! Oh Babs, that is just fabulous news. So happy to hear your good news.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Monique, my Cotinus 'Golden Spirit' consists of 2 skinny stems, about 18" tall with a few buds at the base, no foliage yet. Living though! I even bought another smaller one because it was a deal at the grocery store. Yours must be fairly big by now! How big was it when you first got it? I wonder if it will grow any bigger, especially since it was a mild winter as things go around here.

I should be singin', right Eden? Rain, rain, rain....

'bug

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Babs, that is the most fantabulous news. Congratulations to Dr. Chris and to the woman who was at his side through it all. I am very happy for both of you.

Michelle

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

{{gwi:159877}}

T,I'm happy to hear you are feeling better about your birthday. Lucky you on the new camera. Keep those pictures coming.

Congratulations to Chris. A great accomplishment.

Norma

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

Congratulations, Dr. Chris (and Babs too, great news!).

And Happy Birthday, Teresa. Sorry no picture. I came in late :(

A rather trying day for me - oldest DS now says he's moving to Florida next week, and youngest DS informed me he's decided to stay in the dorm next year instead of commuting from home. I'm a bit sad....ok, a lot sad.... I know they grow up and leave home but I guess I'm just not as ready as I thought I was for the oldest to be so far away and the youngest to not live here at home. Guess I need a good, private cry. Only mothers understand.

Hope everyone else had a good day.

Good for you on the new range, Marian. I know you'll be so happy when it comes.

suzy

• just_t
    17 years ago

Hi, just wanted to say one more time 'thank you' to everyone for their lovely photos and birthday wishes. I couldn't sleep so I got up thinking I'd enjoy looking at them again and catching up on what was posted during the late afternoon & evening when I wasn't able to check the computer.

Exciting news about Dr. Chris......what a relief that must be and how giddy & happy that household must be. :o) Wonderful news!

Marian, glad you were able to order you a brand new range. I hope it arrives soon.

Suzy, when my children left home I got a second dog--a little dog to have near me daily in the house.....and then a few months later when I was still missing my children, I got another dog.........thankfully I grew use to the quiet and fact that this is the way it was going to be before I got dog #4. :o) I enjoy my 2 little 'house' dogs and I am glad to have them, but I'd turn back the clock in a flash to enjoy reliving a day or two of having my children still young & living with us. Knowing my luck, I'd get to relive a day or two of the 'teenage terrors'......and then I'd smile when they reverted back to being wonderful, loving, responsible *adult* children, living with their husbands. :o) Another bump in the road of being a parent and having our children grow up (and away). Not easy but it is wonderful that they are able and capable to live on their own. You'll be fine....after a few bouts of tears....and perhaps a couple more dogs. lol

Hope everyone is drying out.......

T.

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

T-as I look at my card to you it looks too dark-not cheery like my thoughts for your day were: )...then again that's all we have here...dark days...hopefully "Here comes the Sun" will be running through our heads in a couple days. How's Mt. St. Helens doing lately? I'd bet your animals do know something's up. Keep us posted.

You guys really are the best-thanks for sharing in the excitement of Chris' accomplishment-it's really like we're in a dream. It seemed like it would never be over for real! He really appreciates your congrats to him(his head seems to have grown a few sizes with all the notice of him lol). It was SO funny when we returned from the defense,Ryan was ecstatic that Chris passed and he exclaimed how great it is that "Daddy will save so many lives now"(it was priceless to hear him say that-I suppose he'll save graduate students' 'lives' lol!). We keep trying to explain he's not a medical Dr. but he doesn't get it yet: ) Chris slept for much of yesterday-well deserved,and he goes back to work today then off again tomorrow so he can use up extra vacation days. He'll hold the fort down while I take Ryan to the eye Dr. tomorrow.
    Actually one of the reasons I came to GW was that I had lots of free time while Chris plugged away at the dissertation...I can't imagine not idylling now.

Deanne I am awed by the severity of the flooding you've got there-your pics really put it into perspective-just unreal.The poor nursery! Neat that they have a sense of humor with their sign.

Suzy-while I haven't gone through what you are I imagine it must be not only a shock but so disappointing. I will be a mess when my kids leave. It's probably a mixed thing-happy for them becoming successful adults yet sad because you love them and enjoy them....lol then I've got Ryan who assures me he'll never get married and never leave home and he gets tearful when anyone tells him he's getting so grown up...my little Peter Pan.
    I think I would get myself involved in things to distract me-volunteering or taking classes...I bet when my kids leave I will be gardening to the gills(it's such a great diversion; ). Suzy I hope you find a way to work through this time...you can idyll-we'll cheer you up!

Gorgeous cards from EVERYBODY!

Marian what are you going to cook us on your new range?? How fun to get a new stove!

Michelle-Kenzie is so big these days!! She really resembles you(stunning like her grandma: )

Eden that hanging basket is huge! I like the color comnbos you pick.

Drema-have you heard anything more about your job?
    I read about pokeweed(Skip's favorite plant: )and they say it's poisonous for humans except if you use the berries in spring and cook them for a long time....now Skip can make you a pokeberry pie lol.

Mary it turns out we do have ramps here in Bedford. Our news paper did a story on edibles in the woods.

I don't mean to skip out but I need to get on with the day and finish matting artwork; two days til the deadline.

Laytah,
    ~BAbs

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Well, we're finally seeing the sun here today after at least a week of cloudy and/or rainy days. I guess we get a two day reprieve then more rain on Friday. My gardens actually look great from the rain-lush and green. I finally just said "screw it" and ordered a truckload of compost to be delivered Friday afternoon-7 yards ought to keep me busy for a day or two. The plan is to use it instead of mulch on the older gardens. The soil isn't the greatest in some of those areas so this should give them a boost. When the compost is gone I need a truckload of cheap mulch for the reclamation area.

Tomorrow night is the latest mini idyllunion. Deanne, Monique, Les, Tom and I are having dinner at the Pond House Cafe in Elizabeth Park (our local Rose and public garden) then all but Tom are heading over the the monthly CT Hort Society meeting to listen to Tony Avent, the speaker this month. Deanne is planning to stay overnight for some nursery crawling on Friday. Any other local idyllers who want to join us, let Monique or I know. Speaking of Monique...what is that lilac in your picture? I keep thinking I need to add one somewhere but they just don't seem to have much garden interest beyond a couple of weeks of flowers in May and in my small space plants need to provide more than that.

Maybe it's the weather but I'm having trouble getting motivated to plant my containers. Hopefully I'll get some inspiration soon.

OK, time to get to work. I have to go to a bank sponsored luncheon at a local country club at 11:30 so the day will be short enough as it is.

Carry on,

Sue

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

T- I didnt see your post re your birthday before I sent my little photo & Im sorry it can be a sad memory but its good you are able to learn to enjoy the day again good for you. I personally am not so fond of my birthday either but for no big, horrible reason such as yours I tend to reflect too much about friends, state in life, etc. too much thinking! We all need to learn to enjoy the days were given just as you say and enjoy the flowers along the way!! All in all, I think you have gotten the most beautiful lot of birthday "cards" they are all so gorgeous dont you wish we could actually send you the actual plants?!! Now, theres an idea it would fill your new beds in no time for Spring time color.

Babs many congrats again to you and Dr. Chris ("saving lives now" the creative thinking kids come up with, such a wonder) what a relief and what an accomplishment after long hard work what will you guys do with all the free time now, LOL?

I am in love with these iris everyones posted recently Michelle, where did you find that Blue Denim? and Deanne that ruby one of yours is it by any chance a pumila Cherry Garden? It looks similar to one I saw in a Lauren Springer book thats named that & Im really preferring the small dwarfs/ & pumilas that seem to have fewer problems. If you dont get Thalictrum Black Stocking somewhere, Ill be happy to give you some seedlings that crop up from it (like other Thalictrums) & give you some in the fall if I find any.

Suzy if you like dogs, I heartily endorse Teresas suggestion they are such a comfort and forever unconditional love they might feel a lonely spot for you.

Barb that was a Cruel birthday Card to T!!! LOL.....

Marian congrats on the new range youll much appreciate that after working with the toaster oven so long dont know how you "improvised" so well and so long what a lot of fortitude!!

We expect sun and then showers this p.m. but as Honey says, it seems to be making for Gardens on Steroids so Im not complaining altho I see a bit of the beginnings of black spot on the roses (but that was inevitable in this area).

You NE Idyllers -- any excuse for a reunion and nursery hopping, uh? Have a great time and hope you "score".

--Cindy

• taryn
    17 years ago

Hidylls my dear Idylls!
    Wow, wow, wow I LOVE birthdays around here! The past few weeks have been nuts so Ive barely skimmed the text, but have been drinking up all the wonderful photos youve all been posting. Enjoyed all the colourful spring lovelies, including Sue with the hue, lol! The mini-Idyll-union at Marys looked like a lot of fun, wish I was there. Oh and congratulations to Doctor Chris!!! Babs you must be so proud and so relieved! What a lot of hard work, finally coming to fruition...

So, heres whats been going on in my corner of the world. Re house: Friday we had a couple come through who adored the house. They phoned on Saturday to say that if they can finance carrying two homes until theirs is ready to sell, they will be putting in an offer. They are checking into that this week. Then Saturday we finally got the reporter here to take pics and notes on our home. Next Friday (26th) it will be the feature home in the Homes section that comes out once a week, with a full size colour pic on front, big write up and 3-4 more photos inside. I got along famously with the reporter, who was here over two hours. He told me he had always admired this house from outside and was thrilled to feature it. Got the history of the house and also the names of some of my shrubs and rarer perennials. We are marketing the heated greenhouse as "easily converted to a private hot tub room" for the non-gardening crowd, lol! He said our house was as stunning on the inside (actually he used "magnificent") as it looked from the outside and was sure it would sell soon after the article ran. He suggested we have an open house two days later, Sunday the 28th, and told me to expect 50-60 couples through, many from out of town. Our agent will be here and I will be his "assistant" for the day, not the owner, lol! Im printing up new feature sheets, which on the back will have all our updates/taxes/utilities and another sheet with local schools, parks, shopping and attractions on nice glossy paper for the event. The Homes section runs not just in the Cambridge Times but also in the Kitchener Record, so Im guessing over 300,000 people will see it, so if this doesnt sell our house, nothing will!

Im psyched, have rearranged furniture, packed up knick-knacks and am doing a major declutter (yup, size 6 jeans have to go!) to make closets look more spacious. (Note to self, who are you kidding, size 8s, 10s, and 12s have to go too! When these frigging hormones are rebalanced and I drop the weight I will treat myself to some new clothes then. ) Okay where was I? Oh yes, reorganizing and decluttering. We are also going to put up the pool and free up more space in the garage. The backyard still will have tons of room, and it makes it look like a kid-friendly yard. Plus if we go 60-90 days that is the hottest part of the summer when the boys live in the pool. Am going to plunk some annuals in the bare spots for colour and of course everything will be weeded and mulched. My greenhouse gains a pot of two of something that has to go with me each week, lol! There are still many, many plants in the garden though, probably many more than most people would want. If we do get a non-gardener as a buyer maybe I can help them get ready to sod by doing some more digging, lol.

Kids are doing great, skateboarding a lot and singing too! Shane and 450 other young boys are girls performed to a packed house at the Centre in the Square on May 3rd. Poor guy was fighting a major cold coming on, but after 4 months of practicing was not going to miss his big night. So I dosed him up with cold meds and he was a trooper. My Mum came out for the event and we took him out to dinner first. Unfortunately they forbid us to take any recording equipment/cameras into the show, but here he is enjoying his dessert, and with proud Mama at the venue, after the show:

{{gwi:159878}}

{{gwi:159879}}

As usual I got carried away by the sound of so many sweet, pure, innocent voices and blubbered my way through much of it. Especially the finale:

We Rise Again (Rankin Family)

When the waves roll on over the waters
    And the ocean cries
    We look to our sons and daughters
    To explain our lives
    As if a child could tell us why

That as sure as the sunrise
    As sure as the sea
    As sure as the wind in the trees
    We rise again in the faces
    of our children
    We rise again in the voices of our song
    We rise again in the waves out on the ocean
    And then we rise again

When the light goes dark with the forces of creation
    Across a stormy sky
    We look to reincarnation to explain our lives
    As if a child could tell us why

That as sure as the sunrise
    As sure as the sea
    As sure as the wind in the trees
    of our children
    And then we rise again

of our children
    And then we rise

Glenn & I celebrated 15 years of wedded bliss (well, togetherness anyway, lol) on May 4th. He bought me flowers and a very sweet and thoughtful card. Things have smoothed out for us I think.

Two weeks ago we found out that Glenns Dad has colon cancer, and he went for surgery last Wednesday. The great news is that it was a very tiny spot, the doctor thinks she got it all, and no chemo or radiation will be necessary. Dad is amazing the doctors with his recovery, he was released Monday, is back to a full diet and will be going up to open his cottage this weekend! He still cant lift anything heavy so my BIL is going up with him to turn on the water and put the dock in, etc, but things are looking very good for him.

Not so good for Bruce though. The MRI showed a golf-ball sized new tumour on the other side of his brain, and numerous other smaller ones developing, since his last MRI when they took him off the chemo in January. The large one is pressing on the part of the brain that controls the right side of his body, so its as if hes had a stroke, cant move or feel that side. But he is completely lucid and is in remarkably good spirits, flirting with the nurses, joking around. He has started smoking again, which is a drag (pun intended) because he cant get out of the hospital for one unless a friend takes him, so is craving a lot of the time. But he says if hes dying, hes dying with a smile on his face, and I guess at this point there is no point in denying him one of his only pleasures. He's as stubborn as ever, and it's gotten him this far. :) There are no options any more, his liver cant take more chemo and there are too many tumours to operate on, so I guess hes in the final stretch. The only good thing about his condition is that there is no pain with brain cancer, at least not unless pressure forms at some future point. They had told him in the beginning that no one had ever survived this particular type of cancer past about two years, and hes there May 29th. 3-6 months they say, but I'm thinking it won't be that long. Im going to help him do a video, or maybe write letters if the former is too hard for him, for Gigi and the kids. That will be very difficult, and Im not looking forward to it, but I offered. It is all I CAN offer him now, plus my assurance that Ill always be there for Gigi and the kids. And it will give him a chance to say the things he wants to say while he can still say them.

Gigi is stressed but coping okay. I spent Saturday night at her place, and convinced her that the past two years, though difficult, and though they didnt cure Bruce, have still been very worthwhile. She has learned to slow down and smell the roses, take things one day at a time, and that you cant plan or control everything, and in some ways shes finding that a big relief. She CANT control this, so the responsibility is not hers to try, and shes going with the flow more. But of course these two years have been REALLY important for the kids, especially little Reid, who was only three when Bruce first got sick, to make lots of memories with their Dad. And the treatments gave Bruce the time and the quality of life, up until now, to do that. He went camping with them, skiing and skating, tobogganing, Christmas caroling, carved pumpkins, cheered them on at tee-ball, soccer and hockey games. He took up singing with the Church choir, took guitar lessons. He got the chance to show his wife and kids, his family, his friends, that attitude is everything, and that you fight the good fight. This has been very hard, but weve all learned and grown from it and well all get through what's ahead together. Yesterday I mentioned a party to Gigi, which she agreed to right away, but then had to go for a soccer game, so couldnt discuss. One hell of party for Bruce, a celebrate life while your still living party. I know hed love it, and the plan is for him to be home for weekends so we can make it happen. Well Ive got to run, have said enough for now. Hi to all, and dont worry if Im not around, just need to keep my priorities straight right now. Miss yall.

Taryn

This one goes out to my buddy Bruce:

Live Like You Were Dying (Tim McGraw)

He said I was in my early forties
    with a lot of life before me
    when a moment came that stopped me on a dime
    and I spent most of the next days
    looking at the x-rays
    Talking bout the options
    and talking bout sweet time
    I asked him when it sank in
    that this might really be the real end
    how's it hit you when you get that kinda news
    man what'd you do

and he said
    I went sky diving
    I went Rocky Mountain climbing
    I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named FuManchu
    and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
    and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying
    and he said someday I hope you get the chance
    to live like you were dying.

He said I was finally the husband
    that most the time I wasn't
    and I became a friend a friend would like to have
    and all the sudden going fishin
    wasn't such an imposition
    and I went three times that year I lost my dad
    well I finally read the good book
    and I took a good long hard look
    at what I'd do if I could do it all again

and then
    I went sky diving
    and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
    and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying

Like tomorrow was a gift and you got eternity to think about
    what'd you do with it what did you do with it
    what did I do with it
    what would I do with it'

Sky diving
    and then I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
    and I watched an eagle as it was flying
    To live like you were dying

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Congratulations to Dr. Chris and the woman behind him who helped make it possible!

Michelle, Id love some of that Iris if you can spare a fan. Thank you so much! And Im thrilled that well be able to meet you at IU3!

(((((Suz))))). Yep, its hard (and very quiet in the house) when they spread their wings and fly. Know tho, that you did a really good job to prepare them and instill enough confidence in them that they can fly on their own. Dont worry, youll still be Mom. The relationship just evolves.

Yeah, Marian has a new range! Fron the sound of the woes with your last one, you probably will have to be careful not to burn stuff on the new range! I bet youll be baking and roasting tons of stuff next week.

Oh, Deanne, please identify THAT iris! Gorgeous! Ive been watching the news of all the flooding out there. How awful for everyone affected. I think water damage is the worst! Theres the initial damage and b/c of the wicking, more damage from mold down the road. How did your basement fare thru it all? No damage I hope.

Well, its not raining and the lake out front is beginning to dry out some. Im hoping the deck will dry out enough today that our deck stain guy can come tonite to stain it so we can get some Spring work done here Were supposed to get rain again tomorrow.

Im going to work on my containers today to start to unload some of the stuff from the garage. We are supposed to participate in the subdivision garage sale this weekend so I have to get crackin. I need to get more container mix first tho.

I hope the weatherman is wrong and were done with rain for awhile. Hi to all!

TTYL,
    Honey

• yeonasky
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday T!

I'm glad you figured out why birthdays are hard for you. It's a big part of the battle. Now you can make fabulous new memories.

Congratulations to Dr Chris and Babs. I'm so happy for both of you.

Waving hi to everyone as I hurry back to the mountains of paperwork.

Yeona

• yeonasky
    17 years ago

((((((((Taryn)))))))) I saw your note about Bruce after I posted. I'm so sorry he is reaching the end of his fight. My heart goes out to him and his loved ones, including you. These last two years sound like such a precious gift for him and his family. I'm sure the memories of all he's done with his family will in time give them comfort and smiles when he's gone. I'm so glad Bruce has a sense of humour and can smile through it all. I really admire that kind of an attitude. I'm afraid I tend to be a little bit too whiny and not good humoured enough when confronted with the little bothers. I'd probably fail dismally at being good humoured when faced with a biggie like Bruce is. I know one thing, I'd feel durn lucky if I had a friend like you by my side when faced with something like this. I know it's been said here before, but you are the epitome of a good friend. I'm sure that Gigi will need you more than ever, just as I'm sure you'll be there.

Yeona

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

Well the sun is shining here and we only had about a quarter of inch last night with the squall lines that came through here. We are supposed to have another inch of rain or so tonight and tomorrow with thunder storms that are supposed to be coming through. But, the Nashua River is now down below flood stage and the Merrimack River is only a foot above flood stage south of Nashua and is just below flood stage here at Nashua. People in many areas are able to get home and start cleaning up. Lowell, Lawrence and Haverhill MA (on the Merrimack River) still have areas under water but the waters should be receding and out of there in the next couple days. Ive only heard of a couple fatalities associated with the flooding. Some fellow decided to go canoeing and apparently capsized and another tried to drive down a flooded road and it was a lot deeper than he thought it was.

Taryn, Wow, it really sounds like you are making some headway on the house sale and Im crossing my fingers it all works out. You sound really focused and positive. LOL about the size 6 jeans. ~~ Love the pic of you and Shane. He looks so much like you! ~~So sorry to hear your news about Bruce. Know you all are in my thoughts.

Yeona, glad to hear from you. Busy is good isnt it? That means there is plenty of work. I miss your great posts though. I hope you can pop in from time to time to let us know how you are doing.

Honey, so sorry but I dont know what that iris is. Again, like the blue ones, that deep purple one came from a friend of mine with no ID. When that clump gets big enough Ill divide it and send you some. It really is a must have plant. ~~ Glad to hear your lake is starting to dry out a bit. How did Ruth make out with the rains. I hope she didnt have any water in her home or gardens.

Cindy, I love that little iris also and as I told Honey, I dont know the name because it was a gift from a friend. I can send you a piece of that as well when I dig and divide. Just email me your address if youd like a piece of it. ~~ Thanks for the offer with the Thalictrums, I already have a couple largish patches of them so have plenty but I will be looking for a spot to plant that Black Stocking.

Babs are you having a celebration for Dr. Chris this weekend????

Marian, congratulations on the new range. What wonderful things are you cooking???

Suzy, lots of hugs for you. I know Id be pretty sad if my DD moved that far away.

So the bad news is that I am not going to be able to go to CT tonight for dinner or lecture and no plant shopping for me tomorrow. Bummer, bummer, bummer! One too many things on my plate that kept popping up one after the other and I finally decided that there is really no way to successfully push on a rope and that is what it felt like trying to arrange to be gone overnight tonight.

Im currently in the process of trying to save my coleus. I thought they were fine because the temps didnt get too cold but apparently they dont like 50 degree temps with 11 inches of rain and at least half of my plants are going to bite the dust including the ones from my Rosy Dawn order. Grrrrr.. Ive never lost a coleus before and I think Im not going to ever try to get them out before June in the future. A big disappointment but in the scheme of things nothing to complain about if that is all the problem Im facing from the rain and flooding.

Eden, I DEFINITELY need to get myself one of those greenhouses. That would have prevented this.

OK Ive got to get to the gym and get some seminar information out to a few customers today. Take care all,
    Deanne

• just_t
    17 years ago

Happy Anniversary Babs & Dr. Chris!

{{gwi:159881}}

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Happy Anniversary to Dr. Chris and Babs. What a lot you have to celebrate.

Taryn, I'm so very sorry to hear that Bruce's battle is nearing the end. I'm sure these last 2 years have been a blessing, but we are never ready to let go are we? Prayers and thoughts to all. I am hoping all goes well in the house business.

Deanne, thats terrible about your coleus. I have lost a few and have a few others that look a little sad. I guess we must learn patience or get a greenhouse. LOL

Yeona, how great to hear from you. I have been wondering where you have been lately.

Honey, email me your address and I'll send you the Blue Denim. I also have one (unnamed) similar to Deanne's that is a red violet color. I could send some of that along too.

Cindy, I could send you some Blue Denim and the red violet one that I mentioned to Honey. Email me your address and when I get them divided I'll send them. I really love the short iris. I like the early bloom time and they are nice front of the border plants.

I had yesterday off and went for my massage in the a.m. and then went with Laura and Kenzie to Hey, Good Cookie. A coffee shop/bakery type place. You should have seen Kenzie with her nose pressed to the glass case of cookies. She wanted one with M&M's and only ate the M&M's LOL We also went and looked at shrubs for some foundation plantings around their new house. She wants some perennials also but wants low maintenance. I have plenty to give them in that dept. I also worked on my brick in the veggie garden. I'm getting there. All in all it was a nice day off.

Michelle

• taryn
    17 years ago

Guys, please carry on chatting as usual! I waited until we were nearing the end of this thread to post, didn't mean it be a downer. You have all been so supportive throughout this entire situation with Bruce and Gigi I felt I owed you an honest update, but Deanne is right, I'm actually quite positive, and would love to (time allowing) drop in to hear the day to day activities going on in your corner of the world. And always make time for pics! So please, keep on postin'!

Deanne I'm so sorry about the flooding in your area. Forgot to mention that yesterday~~your pics were pretty sobering. Glad there weren't many injuries or much loss of life, but imagine the financial repercussions will affect many. I remember the 8" in one day we got last July 16th very well--$1500 later to fix a BRAND NEW furnace was our biggest loss, but many individuals with full basements and shop keepers down near the river lost much, much more. Hope it's over for good and things get back to normal soon.

Yeona, nice to hear from you, and thank you! Would much rather have the test of our friendship be "was always there to babysit" or "never forgot my birthday" but I guess this is a biggie, and I see some of who I thought were close friends pulling back. It's awkward for some to deal with I guess, but I sure would hope my friends would be around if the situation were reversed. I know Gigi would be.

Happy anniversary Babs and Dr. Chris! Did you do anything special? I was happy with flowers and a card, and Glenn was on nights so dinner wouldn't have worked anyway. But you guys have double to celebrate, so hope you have a great celebration planned...

Michelle, you're right, you're never quite ready for something like this, and in some ways being hit by a truck would have been preferable. But then I think about the time with the kids and know it wouldn't have been better. They barely would have remembered Bruce, especially the 3 year old. A massage sounds great right about now...BTW, did you ever get your seeds from me? Mary's never arrived, and they were all sent together. Babs and Ei got there's before Easter, so please let me know. There was a new girl at the post office putting too little postage on some things for a day or two, and while those envelopes should have come back to me, that doesn't always work that way.

A dilemma in the house selling saga I'd like your thoughts and advice on please. The couple who were checking financing left a message an hour ago saying they want to meet with us to put in an offer! While that is FANTASTIC, we have committed to being the featured home on the 26th and need to have a house for sale (not sold) when that comes out! I sure don't want to put off this couple, but we can't be "sold" already and not accepting offers, plus it could be really to our benefit if we have several competing offers after this big media hype. What should we say to them? They were well aware that this article was in the making when they saw the house last Friday, and I had emailed them that it went very well last Saturday. I'm thinking we should just tell them what I've stated above, we are committed to being the featured home and won't be able to respond to any offers until after the open house on the 28th? But we are very excited and very much looking forward to their offer and can we arrange to meet for that late next week? Respond to it the following week? Our agent seemd to agree with this, but I sure don't want to scare them off. Will talk to Glenn this evening then phone the couple back. Geez, either feast or famine isn't it??? Suggestions and comments VERY SOON much appreciated, either here or email me....

Thanks guys, and please, carry on Idylls!

Taryn

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Taryn, I did get your seeds. RE: the house, I have only sold 1 house in my day, so I am no expert. I think it sounds like a good plan. They probably are quite interested and want to quick get an offer in before the feature comes out.

Michelle

• taryn
    17 years ago

Thanks Michelle, and glad you got the seeds. By some fluke of the post office Mary emailed that hers arrived TODAY, over a month late! Said nothing indicated it was short postage or held by customs, so don't know what the USPS was up to.

Re the offer, I emailed some friends as well and have had mixed responses from them and Idyllers, but so far Mary, Woody, Jain and another friend have said "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", (funny all the idyllers used that exact quote!). "Take the money and run" and "Don't kick a gift horse in the mouth" also came up...

But another friend, whom I respect a lot, said, "If your Burlington couple is REALLY that interested then they can wait until after the article runs and AFTER the weekend open house. REMEMBER - you are in the driver's seat here. If they want it, they will do whatever it takes to make it happen). Give them the dates of the open house and tell them you will be "in a position" to accept any offers after that. It will also be great for your agent to be able to tell people coming through at the open house that an offer is being put on the Monday (or whatever day that next week). It's human nature for people to want something more if they think someone else wants it too!!!!"

Just checked my horoscope (Capricorn) and WOW it is right on! Glenn's (Virgo) doesn't relate at all. I'm putting the link below~~are they this accurate for anyone else??

"Everything is right in front of you, waiting for you to just reach out and grab it. The impulsive, cocky side of you says you should go for it and all will be fine. But the cautious, humble side of you is telling you to stop for a moment to review the situation. Listen to your cautious side today and don't get caught up in the moment. Map out your plan of action -- things will go smoothly when you're prepared, so be patient. Those golden opportunities aren't going anywhere."

I'm still very torn. Glenn should be home soon. Please keep the comments coming, much appreciated...

Taryn

• gardeninbc
    17 years ago

Taryn - my experience comes from being in a wicked sellers market. Sounds like you are in a buyers market. I would tell the couple that we will look at offers on "x" day after your open this weekend. Reassure them that you are serious sellers willing to negotiate but that the timing is such that you have to follow through with this open and will be receiving offers on a certain day.

Best of luck!
    Barb

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Good evening all!

Glad to finally see the sun around here! Life sure gets in the way of gardening this time of year. We have a wedding in Maine on Saturday at 12 noon, and we are staying overnight up there. I should be able to sneak out to a local plant sale Saturday AM before I have to get cleaned up and on the road. Hopefully we'll get back early enough on Sunday to have some quality garden time; and the mulch pile should be a little drier by then!

T, I hope you truly enjoyed your birthday this year now that you know why you you dreaded the day. My mother's brother passed away on my grandparent's wedding anniversary when my mother was just a teenager; my grandparents never celebrated their anniversary after that, and my parents don't celebrate theirs either.

Babs, congratulations to Dr. Chris! What wonderful news. Hope he can save lots of lives, LOL!!

Taryn, you and Bruce and your families are in my thoughts. I'm glad you have such a positive attitude about his illness. The lyrics to that Tim McGraw song brought tears to my eyes, such truth there. We spend so much time rushing around trying to "fit it all in" that we often don't pause to think about what is really important in life. On another note re: the house - when we put in the offer on our house, an open house was already scheduled and the realtors held it anyway, even though our offer was accepted. They told everyone that there was an offer in the works, and if they put in an offer they would be considered "back-up offers". I don't remember if we had signed the purchase and sale agreement yet at that point.

Deanne, so sad about your coleus. They definitely don't like temps below 50 degrees, and the rain was probably too much. Mine are OK, they weathered the storm in the cold frame. If you want cuttings from any of those that you gave to me, you are more than welcome. I haven't really planned my containers yet, you could even have some of the plants back if you want! If there are any special varieties that you are looking for, let me know - I'll keep my eyes open when I go shopping for annuals. DH promised to take me to Newbury Perennials on the way back from the wedding, they often have some unusual stuff there.

Well, time to get off the computer and help DD study for her math test.

-Wendy

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Evening Idylls!

(((Dear Taryn)))...you didnt bum me out or chase me away! We just had a minor crisis here at home, but things have quieted down, so I thought I would catch up with the Idylls.
    Of course its so sad to know that Bruce is coming to the end of his journey and I feel so badly for Gigi and his children. Im glad they have had these last few years to make memories and to be together...memories they will carry with them always. Its really hard to even imagine how they will get through this; how anyone gets through this. One thing I do know is that they have been blessed to have you in their lives. You have been a true friend and an exceptional, strong, loving, and generous soul. I couldnt say it any better than Yeona "you are the epitome of a good friend. I'm sure that Gigi will need you more than ever, just as I'm sure you'll be there."

I really loved your songs Taryn, especially the one about Living Like You Are Dying. It made me think of a quote I keep on my computer called "In This Moment." Every time I read that quote it puts pictures in my head and so I wanted to share them with you. I hope that anyone who reads this wont see it as a sad thing, because it is not sad at all to me....its a reminder of my blessings and gets me centered when I feel askew. This has been a hard year for me, but honestly, I *do* know how lucky and blessed I have been! I have lived a charmed life and I need to remind myself of that sometimes. The words of this quote always hit home and Im going to post it here because its filled with the pics in my head. I hope when you read the words that it fills your head too, with all the many blessings and special moments in your life. I dont want to take up space on the new post, so Im posting it here:

In This Moment
    Author Unknown

We convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another.

Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough and we'll be more content when they are...

{{gwi:159882}}

After that we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage

We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, are able to go on a nice vacation, when we retire.

{{gwi:159883}}

The truth is, there's no better time to be happy than right now.

{{gwi:159884}}

If not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway.

One of my favorite quotes comes from Alfred D Souza. He said, "For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles *were* my life".

This perspective has helped me to see that there is no way to happiness. Happiness *is* the way. So, treasure every moment that you have. And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special. Special enough to spend your time

{{gwi:159885}}

...and remember...

{{gwi:159886}}

time waits for no one...

{{gwi:159887}}

So stop waiting until you finish school, until you go back to school, until you lose ten pounds, until you gain ten pounds, until you have kids, until your kids leave the house, until you start work, until you retire, until you get married, until you get divorced, until Friday night, until Sunday morning, until you get a new car or home, until your car or home is paid off

Until Spring...

{{gwi:159888}}

{{gwi:159889}}

Until Summer...

{{gwi:159890}}

{{gwi:159891}}

Until Fall...

{{gwi:159892}}

{{gwi:159893}}

{{gwi:159895}}

Until Winter...

{{gwi:159897}}

{{gwi:159899}}

{{gwi:159901}}

until you are off welfare, until the first or fifteenth, until your song comes on, until you've had a drink, until you've sobered up, until you die, until you are born again to decide that there is no better time than right now to be happy...

Happiness is a journey...not a destination...

{{gwi:159903}}

So, dance as if no one were watching...

{{gwi:159905}}

Sing as if no one were listening...

{{gwi:159907}}

And live every day as if it were your last...

{{gwi:159908}}

• just_t
    17 years ago

Beautiful Ei.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Ah Ei, you've outdone yourself. What a touching tribute to life in general.

Wendy, my friend at work who lost his daughter to cancer last May lost her on his wedding anniversary too. I believe they are picking another date for the anniversary and choosing to celebrate then.

Sue

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

TGIF!

Well I have the day off and it's raining here again. Oh well, that won't keep me out of the nurseries.

Last night Monique, Les, Tom and I had a delicious dinner at the Pond House Cafe. The weather was gorgeous so we were able to eat outside on the patio. After dinner Monique, Les and I went to the CHS meeting to hear Tony Avent speak. As you might imagine if you've seen the Plant Delights catalog, he's an entertaining character. I now have a list of new plants on my "must have" list.

Gotta run but I just wanted to offer my non professional opinion to Taryn. Most real estate people will tell you that an open house doesn't usually generate offers. Your house has been on the market for quite some time. My guess is any serious buyers are working with agents and are familiar with the inventory in their market and are already aware of your house-especially if it's been listed in MLS. You may want to stall the couple who are currently interested but be careful that you don't lose them because you may not end up with a handful of multiple offers after the open date. Just my opinion.

Later folks!!

Sue

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Oh my, Eileen!!!! Thank you my friend for this beautiful, beautiful reminder. It is so easy to get lost in our various troubles and forget what is really and truly important.

Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Sorry, I posted this on the wrong idyll...

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

No one can be more eloquent than that, Ei. You re indeed a wise photo-philosopher if I may attempt to coin a phrase for your monologue.

Taryn, you are a wonderful wonderful friend -- one most of us would cherish to have in our lives - not a "downer" -- it is nice to know you're willing to share your sadness with idyllers and cyber-space -- no worries.

Happy Friday everyone -- may we all enjoy our day today and every day.

--Cindy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting