Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idyll #265 We're Singin' (And Plantin') In The Rain

Posted by eden12 z5MI (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 21:03

Help! We're caught under a spinning rain maker here that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Rain in the forecast for the next week. Really I'm not complaining, as long as the temps stay above freezing. The plants seem to be loving the cool, wet weather.

I've been chasing Bella around all day and I am beat. How did I get any housework done with 3 children? As a grandma I'm not getting much done with only 1. Could it be that I'm slowing down or is the earth just spinning faster?

Babs, watch out for the vacuum. Just when you're not looking they'll turn on you and attack!

I'll be back tomorrow when I'm not too tired to think, let alone type. Have a good evening and try to stay warm and dry.

Eden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idyll #265 We're Singin' (And Plantin') In The Rain

Cold and windy here. I decided to get some of the mowing done. I mowed until I couldnt see. Now I am sipping cappachino to try to warm up.

Cindy, thats the price around here too for 4" annuals. They are a great size though. Thats why when I got home with coleus Plum Frost, I took 7 cuttings. So now for 3.99 I have 8 plants. I peeked in the greenhouse at the grocery store today and picked up another geranium called Black Magic Rose It was supposed to be 3.99 but there was no tag. I told the checker that it was 3.99 but she insisted that all geraniums were 1.69.

bug, it is nice that you label so well. The plant sale I stopped at on Wed. had little to no info on the plants. You may want to parboil or steam the asparagus just a little depending on how crisp you like it.

Babs, what a bummer about the fender bender.

Sue, enjoy your new hot tub. LOL another place to put pots.

Here's a peek at my potting area. This area is on one end of the garden shed. The board fencing on the right is about 3' tall so it shelters the plants from the sun and wind until they are hardened off. This is the old cupboard that I mentioned. At one time this was a pig pen and later a basketball court for the kids. You can see the bb hoop at the top of the shed.

o

Idylls may be slow lately but I just got the stats from Picturetrail on the pictures I posted last week and each one had 893 page views! That's alot of lookers.

This will be short because I did find a nursery somewhat nearby that opens at 8 and they usually have a somewhat decent selection of woody plants. I'm looking for a new Abelia called 'Silver Anniversary' and a Leycesteria to replace the one that didn't make it through the winter for starters.

The rain has stopped-at least for now. As of the 6 o'clock news last night we had about 2" in the Hartford area but some parts of CT got over 5". The garden has really perked up with the much needed moisture.

Michelle, thanks for the picture of your potting area. I want something just like that set up behind my garage. Right now the patio is the staging area and it's starting to turn into a real mess. I just showed the picture to Tom. He was talking about making a fold down counter of sorts that you could hook flat back up on the wall when not in use.

OK, must run-lots to do today. Enjoy it!

Sue

o

Morning all,

Yep its me again, I was a bit too tired to think last night when I was posting and forgot to tell Cindy that Im in love with that thalictrum Black Stokings. I have to have that plant. I have several thalictrums and love them all. They are so darned reliable and look great all season. I have a rochebrunianum up on the third tier of my terrace garden and I love those little dangling flowers when it blooms. I noticed that WWF has it for sale and I might just order it from them if I cant find it anywhere else.

Oh yes, Cindy that is the going price for annuals around here. Ive figured that Ive propagated hundreds and hundreds of dollars of plants in the last few years. The main reason I do it is because I LOVE playing with baby plants and I have some specific varieties of annuals that I just wouldnt want to be without.

Speaking of WWF I ordered the fuchsia Billy Greene from them and finally got my plants yesterday and I do have to say the plants are just the best and the packaging was the best Ive ever seen. Expensive but worth the price. I know I dont need any more fuchsia but Monique made me do it. LOL She had a combination with Billy Greene and caladium that just knocked my socks off so Im going to have to try to duplicate it this year.

Eden thanks for the heads up with the vacuum. Im going to have to harness mine up and haul it around the house a bit before Sue and Tom get here. Im going to need foul weather gear to go to the Mixed Border this afternoon with Sue if this deluge keeps up. RE the weather there. I was watching the Weather Channel last night and couldnt believe that weather system over you right now. It looks like a flipping hurricane with the spiral rain bands and even an eye. Jeesh!

Michelle, Im seriously envious of your potting area! That is just fabulous! So can you hook up a water source to your sink? I love that cabinet. It really is perfect and the fencing to protect the plants to harden off is really an ideal situation. I take over half of the garage and part of the driveway but I dont have an area to protect the plants from direct sun and wind.

So we are supposed to get around four to five inches of rain here between today and tomorrow and they are predicting flooding for the Nashua and Merrimack rivers so it is going to be soggy here. Im so glad we had that perfect day a couple weeks ago to go to Rochester and visit Mary and family.

So here are a couple more pics from the May gardens here. Dont you just love spring?

Im in love with these little iris with the Jack Frost. The irises were a contribution from my friend Mary and I dont have a varietal name. They are just slightly a bit more lavender than the blue of the brunnera flowers but very close and I think they look pretty nice next to each other.

That bright spot just below the wrought iron bench is the new Lysimachia Golden Alexander

Terrace garden

Have a great day everyone!
Deanne

o

Whatever is Sue thinking? A hinged table in an upright position for when it isn't in use! LOL. When might that be? Even in January I have stuff on mine!

Well I just finished lugging all the plants outdoors because it is a clear sunny-sky day! Half an hour later...no sun at all. I may need to lug it all back indoors soon. :( It is about 52F out there.

The grass is lush and desperately needs mowing but it is way too squishy to drive the mower around. Tha means lots of raking when things eventually dry out. Raking is such a waste of time and is no good for my back...

Deanne I have those sweet iris too! I was hoping you would know what they are. I just love them and they spread nicely too. Look good with lots of things! They came with our house.

DH is still in bed and I'm antsy to get the day going. Should I go nag? I think so!

Be back later!
'bug

o

Hi yall. I read up and composed a post on my laptop when POOF, the site threw me back to the title page! I dont know if its me, the laptop or GW, but thats the third time thats happened! It might be the laptop. DH is going to have to troubleshoot and find out why Word isnt working. Im not up to starting this post over, but want to say I hope V, Marian and Nolan are feeling better. And Im so sorry to hear about Bruce, Taryn. My heart goes out to you and his family.

Drema, thats too funny that you locked yourself out of the car, too!

Eden, Im so glad you werent injured by that piece of asphalt! Im thinking this car thingy is catchy. After I got home Mon., DH took my van to the home store to pick-up some PVC. While waiting in the left turn lane (the first car) at one of our busiest intersections, a woman coming the other way about 50 mph in her big red UAV, strayed into DHs lane. She had her head below the dash looking at something. He said he was thinking: "Oh, no. Not another one! And a head-on at that!" DH leaned on the horn and the woman looked up just in time to swerve back and miss DH. Instead, she overcompensated and cut off the gal in the lane beside her causing her to jump the curb. Sheesh. People arent paying attention to their driving anymore. Its a jungle out there.

Well, guys, Im sick of the rain altho we did need it. The plants, particularly the weeds are happy!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The new walkway contractor cancelled Wed. and rescheduled for Thurs. am. Late in the day, tho, it dried up enough for the deck guy to complete the powerwashing. Thurs., the walkway boss and crew chief came out and we went over the scope of the work. Before they started however, it began to pour. Then yesterday am, the crew began demolition and got most of the old concrete and some of the raised bed removed before the rains came. And it was sooo bone-chilling cold. The ground here is so saturated that the Bobcat sunk and got stuck. They were afraid of damaging our driveway concrete getting it out under its own power, so they pulled it out with a chain.

The prediction here is for a week of rain and cool weather. So everything is at a standstill. Ive planted some of my containers and theyre in the garage. Im afraid its too cool to put out the dahlias. I need more potting soil and misc. plants to combo with what I purchased with Eden. I had to make another trip to another nearby nursery to get Mom a Double Knockout for Mothers Day. All their roses were 25% off and I went off the deep end again. I couldnt resist iron trellis and a variegated morning glory. (Tapped my savings for the trellis so DH wouldnt have a fit. When I get it together and in place Ill post a pic.

The first landscape designer isnt answering my email or calls. Hmmm, must not have liked my email note! Meanwhile, the gal from the nursery Eden and I visited last week phoned and we had a chance to chat. Turns out this is the gal I told you about that: gave the seminar on containers 2 yrs. ago; and she designed most of those great containers and landscape features I showed you from last yrs garden tour. She loves plants. And shes thrilled to be able to "get creative" with me. I had to fill out a form at the nursery to get on the design list. In the note, I mentioned that I hated the other nurserys design. This gal commented that she just giggled when she read my note b/c Im the 3rd customer who has told her the same thing. She, too, thot it strange that the other co. got first place for landscape design in this area. Hmmm.

Ive lined up all my plants two-by-two and were almost ready to board the ark. Babs, Drema, Bug, if you see us floating by, please throw us a line! Hope you in the northeast arent drowning, too.

Well, Im off to the grocery to get some crab legs that are on special. Itll be a special treat for us for dinner. Hi to all. Stay dry and comfy. TTYL. Honey

o

Just back from hitting the nurseries and farmers market. I got some more container garden plants and a couple of hanging baskets. Still raining here, mostly drizzle but pretty continuous. Brad went out and mowed this morning anyway. The grass was getting long. He's out working on the fence for Bella's play area now. I did a garden walk through this morning and the plants have doubled in size this last week. The downside is weeds are really sprouting at record rates too. Have any of you done what's suggested in The Well Tended Perennial Garden and cut back things by half now so they don't flop later. I'm thinking of trying it with my monardas, phlox and sedums. It will delay bloom time but I don't really mind that.

Deanne, I love that brunnera/iris combo. I'd like to copy that one. Can't wait to hear what goodies you and Sue come across at the nursery.

Michelle, very cool potting area. I have an old enamel topped kitchen table that's supposed to be for potting but I usually end sitting on the deck doing it. I'd love to have an outdoor sink like yours! I really like your cupboard too. I have an old one under the eaves on my deck but it's not as big as yours. I keep candles, mosquito coils, etc. in it. Your area is darling. Can't wait to see pictures of what you do with the inside of your potting shed.

Babs, Thank goodness Chris just had a fender bender. Bet you'll both be glad when Monday's over and you can both relax and CELEBRATE!!!

Cindy, yep, same here, 4 in. pots of annuals/tropicals for anywhere from $3.99-6.99, depending on how cool they are. They price goes up in proportion to the coolness factor. I really try not to keep track of how much I spend. I figure it's better not to know.

Honey, that's great news about the designer at GW. You love her work already! I can't wait to see what the two of you come up with. That's some project you've got started there. Glad Tom's ok!

Here's a picture of my new hanging basket. Isn't it pretty?

Eden

o

Hi again. I'm back from the store and Dh and I buried some PVC in the muck out front to run sprinkler hose thru later when we put this place back together. We weren't the only crazies out in the rain. The folks across the street were replacing dead landscape bushes.

Eden, I love, love, love that basket! What are the plants? Thanks for the reminder about trimming up Phlox, etc. I didn't realize we should do it this soon.

So mine aren't the only weeds going crazy? What's bugging me the thousands of helicopters in the garden, path and lawn from the maple bordering the lawn and garden. They're everywhere! If we have a break in the rain, I'm going to get a hose and see if I can knock some more off that tree so when it dries up enough, we can blow them out of the garden into the lawn for pick-up. I love that tree, but hate those helicopters.

Deanne, I, that Iris/Brunnera combo is wonderful. Where do you have it that the Iris gets enough sun? Talking about Brunerra, the Looking Glass I bot last yr at IU2 in CT. didn't come back. Since they have them here now, I had to buy another, of course. I lost really strange things, too. I'm glad tho, that Caryopteris Snow Fairy seems to have wintered over just fine.

I agree the peonies always seem to get rained on. Here's is the first tree peony bloom here:

o

Love your hanging basket Eden! All the pinks in your garden bring everything together too.

Honey, it may be soggy there but it is beautiful. The colours really POP after plants get real water. I don't envy you the front mess now though. In a month I guess things will look mighty different. I'm glad you have found someone to work with on the plantings who is fun to bounce ideas off of!

Well I've just come inside all muddy and wet. DH and I are trying to sink 18 fence posts. We did 2 so far. He leaves for China on Wednesday. I told him he might get there the cheap way...by digging! Anyway, it is all for a good cause: clematis! But it sure looks ugly before it looks nice. I also broke a fingernail already...and this is the first time in my life I've had 10 good looking nails at the same time. Darn.

I wanted to post a few photos, but the university system is down again. Better go make some dinner.

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend!
'bug

o
Forgot...

Meant to say that yes, we had asparagus omelet for lunch today. There's still tons more!

o

More later, but I just had to show the picture of my iris 'Blue denim' It just may be what Deanne & Marie have. Funny my iris is blooming but the Jack Frost leaves are no bigger than my fingernail. I guess I can't copy that lovely combo of Deannes.

Later
Michelle

o

Better late than never,right?; ) Hey my wedding anniv. is this thurs.! We'll have to combine defense success & wedded bliss celebs.

Chris is practicing his defense tonight...then a movie...track meet tomorrow? It's supposed to rain.

GB you have a friendly email awaiting you...: )

~Babs

o

Eden You are the Queen of Enchanting! Thats a gorgeous basket planting...I *love* the colors. You didnt just plant the top of the basket, did you? Did you plant through holes in the basket...if you know what I mean? Ive always wanted to try that, but it seems like it would be so difficult to do. Really everything is just so beautiful. Its not just the basket thats beautiful...its the whole vignette. I *love* all the pink elements and how you bring it all together. It really is just the most charming scene. Your neighbors must *love* you. What a pleasure it must be to pass by your garden. Thanks for sharing that!

Deanne Thanks for telling me about the elephant ears. :-) The poor thing, every time it would try to send out a new green leaf, I would cut it right out...LOL! Youre so helpful all the time and always so generous with sharing your knowledge and your experiences. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate that. I have learned more, been exposed to more here at the Idylls than I think I have in all my 20+ years of gardening. And whats even better than that, is the pleasure I have had learning and sharing with all you wonderful Idylls! Deanne all your garden pictures are just a joy to see...so much beauty! Ill confess (please nobody hit me over the head) but I have never been a Brunnera fan. Not because I didnt think it was a beautiful plant, but just because I dont like the feel of the leaves that seem itch to me. Isnt that silly? Its just a weird hang up of mine. Same kind of feeling I get when I bite into a peach and touch the fuzz. LOL! Anyway, I have to say after seeing yours and Sues gorgeous Brunnera, I may have to get over my hang up! LOL! What a beautiful plant and what a pretty planting with that iris! Your terrace garden reminds me of a garden I saw at Wisleys Garden in England...just lovely!

Honey...your garden is looking gorgeous too! I just love spring and all the lush pretty green growth. Your garden captures it so well and looks so beautifully healthy! Very charming and I *love* that birdbath...love the curve of it! Loved your tree peony blooms too its such a lovely "strawberry sundae" shade of pink. Yumm!

And Michelle your irises are gorgeous too! What a pretty color and they make quite a statement, with or without your brunnera doing its thing. Oh well, by next year Im sure they will be blooming and growing in sync! :-)

Thank you all for the lovely eye candy tonight...Ive really enjoyed it!

I probably wont be able to post tomorrow so....To All the Mom & all the Daughters too....

Just getting ready to post when I saw my card, Babs! :-) Thank you! :-) Its just beautiful...you are such an artist! You really captured the word "romance" in a picture! What a *gorgeous* bouquet and I *love* the lacey curtains too!

Maybe Chris should watch Rocky! :-)

Naa, he won't need it...he's *already* a winner!
Go getum Chris:

Survivor - Eye of the Tiger

Risin' up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive
So many times, it happens too fast
You change your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

Chorus: (Sing it with him Babs!)
It's the eye of the tiger, it's the cream of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all in the eye of the tiger

Face to face, out in the heat
Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry
They stack the odds 'til we take to the street
For we kill with the skill to survive

Chorus:

Risin' up, straight to the top
Have the guts, got the glory
Went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop
Just a man and his will to survive

Chorus:

All kidding aside, I wish you guys the best and *do* remember you *are* already a winner for following your dreams...Best of Luck!

And Good Night All! Ei

o

Good morning all,

Eden, you were prophetic with the title of this Idyll. I noticed it is still raining there when I checked the Weather Channel this morning. It looks like it will be raining here until we are through with this thread. Weve gotten five inches of rain so far since Friday night and they are predicting at least another two to three inches of rain today AND it is supposed to rain for the next seven days! So we have gone from drought conditions at high risk for fires to flooding in a couple days. I had to go out and dig channels through the gardens last night because the water from the gutters was all backed up against the foundation. So far the basement is still dry but Ill be surprised if we dont get some water down there before this is all done. There is a spot on the Main coast somewhere around York where theyve gotten eight inches of rain and a section of Rt. 1 is closed. The Nashua and Merrimack rivers are supposed to get over flood stage sometime this afternoon Yikes!

So yesterday we had a life event. Sue and I went to a nursery and neither of us bought a single plant!!!! Did you all feel the earth shaking? The honest truth of the matter is that it was about 50 degrees out with a driving rain and even with multiple layers I was freezing cold to the point I felt I couldnt even sign a credit card slip. LOL They had a pretty tree peony that was a lovely dark red/coral color that Sue almost broke down and bought and I found another sweet dwarf spruce that I almost brought home but just decided Id go back when the sun comes out again.

We had a nice visit with Sue, Tom and the puppies. Nick and Zoe are a hoot! My kitties decided to hide under the bed in the guest room and they are still slinking around the house looking for the dogs. Too funny.

Honey bummer about your lost post. I write mine all in word now since I lost that post a couple weeks ago. ~~ I cant believe Tom almost got in another car accident! Holy cow. He really needs to take that Hit Me! sign off his cars when he is driving. Glad to hear all is OK. ~~ Your garden is so lovely! How the heck did you get Asiatic Lilies blooming with azalea??? ~~ That pic of the Bobcat mired in your front yard gave me the willies. Yukky! ~~ Glad to hear youve found someone to help you with your design you can work with. Ill bet you really have fun with it now. ~~ The Iris/Brunnera combo is in the second tier of the Terrace Garden next to the path. It gets morning sun then the canopy from the oak shades it from the mid afternoon sun then it gets another three hours of sun or so later in the afternoons. I have another patch of it next to the wisteria where it gets shaded a good deal of the day and it still blooms really well.

Eden, I absolutely love your new hanging basket. Is there anything else in there other than the begonia, ipomoea and torenia. Ive been thinking of picking up some begonias this year and I guess youve just made up my mind for me. LOL. That begonia is so perfect with your pink deck furniture. I love it! ~~ If you like I can send you a fan of that iris? They multiply nicely so Ive got another clump of it I can divide. ~~ Thanks for the heads up about pruning back the phlox etc. I normally do the mums and asters but have never done this with my tall phlox. I think Im going to give that a try on a couple clumps and see what happens.

Bug, so where are you putting this new clematis fencing???? Bummer about the fingernail. I hate it when that happens.

Michelle, Thanks for the photo of the Blue Denim Iris. It does look just like the ones I have. Im surprised that your Jack Frost are so far behind mine. Are they in a lot of shade??? Mine actually get a half day sun. ~~ I showed Doug your potting area and told him Id like to figure out how to do something like that here.

Eileen, I agree with you 100% " I have learned more, been exposed to more here at the Idylls than I think I have in all my 20+ years of gardening." Me too! This forum has the most creative group of gardeners Ive ever had the privilege to meet. My gardens have improved dramatically in the last three years and it is because of things Ive learned from the people on this forum. ~~ Too funny about the brunnera! Ill bet you feel the same way about plectranthus too? They are pretty fuzzy as well. It does surprise me that you dont have Brunnera anyway because the blue flowers remind me so much of forget-me-nots. ~~ Your Mothers Day card is gorgeous! I love those allium with Molly! That is another great idea Im going to have to copy. Thanks!

OK Im going to go out in the garage and get a few more dahlias potted up and then get myself to the gym. Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms out there.

Deanne

o

Happy Mother's Day! What a beautiful card Ei. Love the alliums with the Molly. I don't know if I told you but my Molly made it through the winter. She had pretty much died back to nothing by last fall so I was a little worried. She's not really large this year but she gave me a couple of blooms and I know she'll grow stronger from here on out. Do you all remember how I agonized over spending so much for my double fern leaf peony last spring? Well it came back nicely and has 4 big blooms but I haven't been able to enjoy them because they've been soaked since they opened a few days ago. I think I've had enough of the rain now and I think the garden has too. Things are starting to look a little water logged in my clay soil. It's supposed to ease up from here on out and just be cloudy with a few showers off and on until Wed.

Ei, thanks for saying such nice things about my picture. I didn't plant the hanging basket, I just bought it. They had them at Goldner Walsh, Honey's favorite nursery, for $30 and I know I couldn't duplicate it for that. I liked it so much when I got home and hung it up that I went back and got 2 others with different plantings. A couple of the designers there put them together and they did a beautiful job. Ei, it's just planted in one of the regular plastic hanging baskets.

Deanne, it sounds like you guys are getting alot more rain than us. We've only gotten about 3" total according to my weatherstation. I can't believe that between you and Sue you didn't buy a single thing. The weather must have been really lousy for that phenomenon to occur. I haven't been picking up hardly anything as far as perennials go this year either. I'll send you some begonias this week. They're just babies though and I don't know how much you'll be able to work with them at this point. I have some neat varieties though that are worth the time to grow on for later. I'm starting leaf cuttings of some others today.

Babs, your card looks like a scene straight out of victorian times. Hope Chris's practice went well and you were both able to relax and enjoy the movie. We watched the dumbest movie last night, Hackers. I think it was from the late 80s and had Angelina Jolie in it back before she was a star. David had rented it and it was sitting next to the dvd player or it wasn't something I would have chosen. I have Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart to watch tonight.

Marie, you made me laugh with your comment about your dh digging to China. 18 fence posts is alot. I remember when Brad dug the holes for our privacy fence posts last summer. It's very hard work.

Michelle, you have the sky blue irises too! That settles it I think I will keep a lookout for some here and plant them next to my Jack Frost.

Coffee's done brewing so hope you all have a great Sunday. No big plans here as Jen's still out of town and Meg and Dave will both be working since Mother's Day is the busiest day at the restaurant. My sister has Bella today so I'm looking forward to a day of just relaxing and doing whatever I want.

Eden

o

Happy Mothers Day, Idylls!

Bug, when I read, "I told him he might get there the cheap way", at first I thot you meant you might send him flying there, lol. DH and I usually work well together except for certain projects and those are always life-threatening either his or mine!

Re the front project, its now a huge lake and has no way to drain. The forecast isnt promising although not as bad as the NEs. I hope it dries up before winter!

Michelle, that Blue Denim does look like Deannes and Maries. I wish my "Looking Glass" survived so I could see when it returns and with what. Great combo, Deanne.

Ei, Happy Anniversary! I wish I knew the name of the tree peony. But the bloom has opened Heres to you and Paul! May you have many more!

BTW, you should see Lauras garden in person!!! It is drop-dead and she is truly amazing with the way she puts combos together and uses every inch of space w/o crowding. Talk about "Enchanting"?!!!!! Pix dont even begin to capture it. Ill never forget the first IU. David raced to the front of her house practically jumping up and down, telling us, "Wait until you see the garden in back!" And he was right. We were in awe.

Thanks for the garden comments. Last fall I moved tons of stuff. At first there was a plan, then it was just get it planted! So its an adventure to see how it all looks with space between the plants. I want to refine spacing and combos. I, too, am still in love with the BB. DH got it for my bday after I stuck the pic and website under his nose 5500 times!

I love, love, the Alliums with Molly. Thats an idea Ill copy b/c I need to move some Alliums.

Deanne, those dwarf yellow Asiatics came from HD like I need more Lilies! Its a spot to plunk them for now. I hear you about basement leaks. Our ground is so saturated we have a lake where the sidewalk used to be and the hole where the Bobcat was stuck has filled up. It has to be 2 feet deep. Were keeping an eye on the basement, too so far, so good. DH keeps a spare sump pump, just in case. The pond out back is higher than weve ever seen it. Poor Mrs. Swan. Her nest is mostly underwater, shes not sitting on it anymore, and we havent seen any signets.

Wow, Im amazed that such a gardening diva continues to learn on the Idylls! But youre right, I learn more here than from any other source.

Babs, good luck to Chris on defending his disertation. What a great future he has and such wonderful security for your family. Hope you get to relax a bit today.

Eden, hope you get to enjoy a relaxing day today.

DS is doing Mothers Day dinner. Im bringing salad and dessert. Mom, DD and family, DN and GN, and DB and family will be there. DB has to work at a major tourist attraction here even tho it is raining. Perhaps hell get out of work early.

Hi and best wishes to all.

TTYL,
Honey

o

Somebody help me! I'm being rained into the house and now I'm searching on line for more fuchsia varieties. There are quite a few variegated foliage varieties I've found that must have. I know, I know, the very last thing I need are more fuchsia but I'm hopelessly addicted. Those 'Golden Marinka', 'Sunray' and 'Firecracker' are so fantastic that I've decided I want a whole collection of variegated fuchsia. te he....

I've beenn outside in the garage potting up my dahlias. I put the bags of tubers in the garage last week and one week out of the basement and they are all sprouting in the bags,big time. Even with the cold temps and cloudy skies they are still ready to grow. They know it is spring regardless of what the weather is doing.

Eden, so I'll trade you some of those blue iris rhizomes for some begonias. I'll grow the baby begonias on in my nursery area. That is half the fun of this for me to get things large enough to use in the container gardens.

Honey, I kind of thought the Asiatics were from a nursery. Although I was wondering if you might have had some secret for getting them to bloom six weeks early. LOL I'm not surprised you have a lake where the bobcat got stuck in the yard. Did you know that the weather system on top of you guys is the low pressure that is causing all the rain here? Incredible. I think we've already gotten another inch of rain since I woke up this AM it really is pouring out right now and not likely to let up any time soon. Doug and I are going to take a drive later and check out the Nashua and Merrimack rivers. Both are at or over flood stage at this point. No worries, we can do this from a safe location.

OK I've had my mid morning coffee and am warmed enough to go out and get all the 'Fascination' tubers planted up.

TTYL
Deanne

o

Well it is 52F here and overcast, but not raining yet anyway. Last night we dug 4 more posts in and this morning 6. That leaves 6 more to go. Digging 2 feet deep into clay is LOL!!! Anyway, these will be clematis supports on each side of the brick path that I am installing in the veg garden. I think there will be fewer vegetables than flowers when I'm done. DH has been a good sport about this job. He doesn't "get" the garden thing at all. I hope we can do 6 more posts today but I must go buy a few groceries now. (I bribed him with French Toast this morning.)

I haven't heard a word about mother's day from my two kids, but my "adopted" gardening daughter called at 8:30! Nice to be thought of.

Bought a knautia, geranium and columbine yesterday. Bad, bad.

I guess I better get to the store now...not my fave activity though. Enjoy your day! I'd really like a sit by the fireplace today. Brrrr
'bug

o

Just checking in and I have a sweet Mother's Day story to share. Sometimes I just have to be a bragging mom. Megan, who's a single mom I think you all know, called to tell my that last night when she got home from work her brother, David, had left a vase of flowers, a gift cert. to her favorite store and a card signed with Bella's name on her table (my kid's all seem to have keys to each other's homes). I thought that was just the most thoughtful thing for him to do and it really made my Mother's Day more that anything.

Deanne, I would love some of the iris rhizomes. Your fuschia addiction made me smile. I totally understand. I know that you'll love the challenge of raising the baby begonias and I have no doubt that I will someday soon be jealous of how full and lush they look.

Honey, I was wondering about that blooming asiatic too. Your garden shot is just beautiful. Looks like the rains have let up today so hopefully your lake will be gone. Sounds like you'll be having a nice Mother's Day dinner. Thanks for saying such nice things about my garden. I think it's changed alot for the better since you were all here thanks to mostly the things I've learned from the Idylls. I agree that this is such a great, creative group of people.

Marie, that vegetable garden of your's is going to be a beautiful sight with clematis growing along the path. French toast sounds so good!

Eden

o

Happy Mothers Day Everyone,

Lovely cards and photos!

Eden - how thoughtful of your David to do that for his sister. You have raised a very kind and loving family!

GB - hope the post digging continues smoothly with not too many aches afterwards!

Deanne - I made my first "Deanne" pot up yesterday and really had fun. I'll try and take a photo though it mgiht need a little time to fill in. It featured 'firecracker', Irsene, and a couple of coleus with a penistum Rubra for height. It was a very addictive process and I'm longing to do more. Do you ever have Fuschia in full sun?

Honey - I envy you the opportunity to see Eden's garden again, especially in different seasons. I too remember the delight when we rounded the corner to the back. And yours too - I'll never forget seeing the lovely birdbath for the first time in your picture perfect garden - it took my breath away! Hope your water levels don't rise to far. Enjoy your meal tonight!

Ei - more Anniversary wishes from here. Margery Fish would have loved your Mothers Day card!! I feel the same way about learning here on the Idylls - we're lucky to have such a fabulous group who share so freely. I've also become energized and inspired to try different things (and buy new plants LOL!) This is better than any book or magazine!

Michelle - Blue Deninm is gorgeous. I have a few iris in bloom and this week should see a lot more opening.

Babs - Chris completing his PhD is a monumental achievement and one to be enormously pround of. You have been a great support and should share in the celebrations. I'll be thinking of him on Monday. I can remember my own father writing up his PhD on a little round table in my parents bed room. We were too little to have any idea what it entailed, especially managing to do so with a full time job and 4 young children. My father's PhD was in Plant Pathology - I'd love to be able to talk to him now about plants and gardens. He passed away while I was still in school so I never had the opportunity to share my passion with him.

Today started rather early with David testing out his new alarm on "loud" at 7 AM! I was awake but reading and it came as quite a jolt. He brought me a cup of yesterday's coffee heated in the microwave - a cup of Joe in bed is always a treat! Annie had made me a little clay box with a flower on and David drew me a card - the best kind of presents. DH gave me a selection of unusual things from Trader Joes that included some yummy chocolate and dried figs. We're planning a low key day as last night was Annie's Birthday meal - we all went out for lobster, her favorite, and had a great time.

David and DH are at Little League and Annie at a friend's house for a study group so I was able to grab a little garden time to myself this afternoon. I planted more of the pansies I'd grown from seed, potted on some baby plants and am trying to harden off of my Passion flowers. This is the point when I often get careless and allow things to scorch in my enthusiasm to get everything out so I'm doing my best to be patient.

Need to run to collect Annie - I really came this way to start a load of laundry so if I'm quick I can do that too.

Enjoy the rest of the day

Mary

o

Just a quick post here, I'll stop by and comment a bit later on.

I just wanted to tell you guys that Doug and I took a drive about this afternoon and the Merrimack River is at very scary levels right now. I've only seen it up this high a couple other times and I've lived here all my life. The river isn't supposed to crest until tomorrow night or Tuesday AM and that will depend on how much more rain we get. We're up to seven inches of rain since Friday night now. There is some talk that the Merrimack is going to crest at eight feet or so over flood stage.

There are LOTS of road closures and we were surprised that they hadn't closed Rt. 111 going through Hudson because the water was running over the road and was about 7 to 8 inches deep when we went through. I felt OK in the Suburban but wouldn't have wanted to go through that in a small sedan.

OK Doug has fixed dinner and its time to eat. I'll be back later.

Deanne

o

To all the Mom's:

Babs, good luck to Chris on his defense!

Monique

o

Good ole Idylls!!! Who else would care about me painting my kitchen and basement..or about the 18th post being put up in the garden a few minutes ago? YEAH!!!! We did it! There's lots more to complete before you get photos, but WOW, DH was such a good sport about this! The day turned out warmer and sunnier than expected.

I got just a few groceries...and it came to almost $250! Gee! Hope it all lasts until after DH returns on the last day of May. I'm off for corn and steak, made by DH. :-)

Got lovely notes from Chelone and Babs too.
Later you great folks!
'bug

o

Evening all,

Well DD came over for dinner and we had a nice visit then Doug had to go to a meeting of his flying club so DD and I decided to do a driving tour of the city to check the various river crossings. The Merrimack River at the Hudson Bridge was about four feet higher than when Doug and I crossed over the river around four this afternoon. I think the river is supposed to be ten or more feet above flood stage by tomorrow afternoon. The rain is supposed to continue on through Monday with two to five additional inches of rain expected. Some places have had 11 inches of rain in the last couple days. Amazing!

Bug how great you got all 18 posts in the ground. Fantastic! Sounds like the perfect Mothers Day gift to me. Your DH deserves a big ATTABOY!

Monique, gorgeous card! Thanks. Is that blooming in your garden right now? Youre ahead of us here for sure.

Mary, How fun you planted up a container garden today. It really is too much fun isnt it??? Yes I do grow those Beacon Beacon Rosa and Sunray fuchsias I gave you in full sun. ~~ I had to laugh at your scorching things trying to hurry things along to harden the plants off. Im guilty of exactly the same thing. Im terrible at hardening off my plants because I just dont allow them enough time.

Eden, bravo for David and remembering his sister on Mothers Day. That is so sweet! He also deserves a big ATTABOY! What a nice thing to do.

OK Im turning into a pumpkin and have to get myself to bed. Have a great evening all.
Deanne

o

Happy Mother's Day!!!

T.

o

We went to my folks trailer at the lake and my kids and Kenzie came. DD had a nice Willow Tree angel holding flowers for me and DS gave me a Cheddar Pink Firewitch and although I already have a couple I really do like them. I guess they know just what to get their mom.

Deanne, no water to the sink, but I do have a water faucet just on the right side of the fence. I run the hose in there and its easy watering, but these days who needs watering. Its raining as I speak. We havent gotten much rain, but it lightly rains easily and it is very windy which makes it feel miserable. I hope the rain stops there before you get water in your basement and others experience flooding.
The close up pic of Jack Frost is so cool. It looks like a reflection in water.
RE: pruning tall phlox. One year the deer "pruned" my Franz Schubert it stayed shorter and didnt get full heads. I cant quite explain it, but it was full but had a different look.

Honey, the new landscaper designer sound like she will be a better fit for you. Fabulous pictures from your garden. I think Ill have to make my way to Michigan some day to see yours and Edens gardens. I picked up a blooming dwarf white lily the other night. Mines still in the kitchen, as it hasnt been fit to be outside.

Eden, I saw a cool 50s style enamel table curbside one day, but figures I had the car and wasnt able to get it. It would have been a perfect addition as this area is pretty large.
Your son sounds like a very sweet young man. You must be very proud of him.
Your porch area is just wonderful. I love those pink chairs. I picked up a very cool rex begonia last week. You are a bad influence. LOL

Ei, thanks for the pretty Mothers Day card. My memory is slipping, but if I didnt before, I want to wish you many more years of wedded bliss.

I too have learned a lot here. Such creative and talented gardeners. I can hardly wait for July to be able to meet some of you. My kids keep teasing me that you all probably arent gardeners and just some perverts that I met online. LOL

Babs, thinking of Chris and you tomorrow. Vibes of good thoughts your way.

Mary, your kids treated you very specially on Mothers Day. I remember those days with such fondness.

Monique, thanks for the pretty card. Great combo.

bug, what a great feeling to have those posts finished Im sure.

Happy Mother's Day from Kenzie and I:

Michelle

o

Late night drive by post. Hi Idylls! I haven't disappeared or forgotten all of you, just distracted....

Yeah, it's raining here too, the grass is tall and green and squishy. Of course qualifications for the Indy 500 didn't happen this weekend at all.

Hope everyone had a Happy Mother's Day! Mine was pretty good - details tomorrow.

Deanne that's pretty scary about the rivers... be careful. PS the hoya you sent me last year is blooming!

Anyway I'll stop by tomorrow and post. I'm sure it will still be too wet and cold to do anything in the yard.

suzy

o

Good morning all,

Still raining here. Does anyone our there in Idylland have any sunshine???? It seems that we are all affected with this wet, wet weather. YOu know the weather is bad when you see the Weather Channel people broadcasting from your area. LOL The Boston Channel 7 news crew was broadcasting live from the banks of the Nashua river downtown last night from the dam when DD and I went for our drive. There is this restaurant that was built in an old power station and I've seen the water get up to their bottom level on one other occasion and it was about six inches up the doors last night. It was too dark to take pictures but I'll zip out for some photos today. Apparently this is the second worst flooding here ever recorded on the Merrimack River. Lots of flood related news items on the New England Cable New link below.

Michelle, that is just the sweetest photo of you and Kenzie!!! I love it! You look way too young to be a grandmother. Anytime I see photos of you and family Im struck by just how BLUE all your eyes are. So beautiful. ~~ Thanks for the info on pruning tall phlox. Ive got a couple clumps that is an old variety of white and I dont know the name. It has been there for years and is very prone to mildew so Im going to experiment with it. ~~ Too funny about your children teasing you about this group being a bunch of perverts. My friends thought this was a group of ax murderers too funny.

Babs, Best of luck to Chris today. Im sending positive vibes your way. Im looking forward to hearing positive news before this day is over.

Suzy, great to hear from you and how neat the hoya is blooming! Looking forward to your post today.

OK time for breakfast and off to the gym. Have a great day all,

Deanne

Here is a link that might be useful: New England Cable News

o

Greetings! Dropping by to wish everyone a belated Mother's Day and happy REAL spring! May has been a washout except for the CT plant swap day. It was great to see everyone and meet new folks.

All is well here. The yard is taking shape and have done a lot of moving 2nd year plants around and placing nursery beds babies. Have gotten the "theme" of each area decided upon. The walkway is still not completed, but the base of it is done so all that's left is the cosmetic ...

Have become drawn to summer blooming bulbs and am learning that this is a whole huge plant community unto itself. You think the Perennial people are steadfast ... :-) Managed to successfully overwinter ordinaries in the basement, so am branching out. Fun and gorgeous journey! My fav new discovery so far is Ornithogalum which is technically a winter bloomer in it's native habitat, but can be forced during summer, here.

Have made the decision not to fight my soil and will not be putting in a dedicated herb garden. No lavenders???? No Way!!!! so am siting them carefully and superamending where needed. Baptisia is loving life so I've taken a soil sample and am trying to recreate it spot by spot. I have deep appreciation for the farmers who worked this land for centuries.

Hoping everyone is well and that I'll have some chance to do a little catching up!

Martie

o

Can't linger cause I need to go pick up sis in a few minutes, but that's so scary Deanne! Has the rain let up yet? We had rain all week, but seems it is coming to a standstill now. I hope that is the case for all you New Englander's too. Please keep us posted. I will be thinking of all of you in the East and hope that things will not be as bad as they appear at the moment. Be back later to catch up. Ei

o

Gardenbug you are to be congratulated 18 post holes in, what, 2 or 3 days? Thats amazing!!

Honey, Im awestruck by that bobcat stuck in your front yard.... whew....

Deanne - I love thalictrums too & have several types -- the Black Stockings I actually got last year from Bluestone - I was amazed they had it. I agree too that WFF stuff while pricey is almost always "steadfast" and healthy so I do endulge when they've got something I really want.

Sue, - I bought that variegated abelia Silver Anniv. I think I got it from Forest Farm this year havent found the right spot for it yet, so its living in a container on the patio....

Eden gorgeous hanging basket!

Well, Im reassured to hear that Im as poor as the rest of you folks when buying container plants but now I understand why so many take cuttings from them I guess I may have to start but will have to find a planting table where they can live! Hmmm, another investment....

What an adorable GD & her young "grandma", Michelle two very beautiful faces!

We got about 2 inches of rain here you poor folks in NE are definitely getting the worst of it 8 inches, wow.

It has actually stopped raining here for a bit showers to continue on and off for the next 5 days I think... but no sun.

Well, work is calling yucko "Happy" Monday, all.....

--Cindy

o

Good morning!

I wanted to comment on so much but I cannot remember it all. Backhoes stuck (oh my! Honey, that must be so disappointing to have the rain & muck slowing down your project).

Michelle, gorgeous photo of you & Kenzie. I like your potting/holding area, too.

Eden, very welcoming & pretty front porch! The hanging basket and the other containers are very pretty.

The mother's day cards are pretty. I don't have much in the way of flowering plants right now. The rhododendrons in the backyard are finishing up their blooms and just look a bit tattered, dirty and blah. The lilac is still blooming and it is the nicest it has looked for years. Still isn't as lush & lovely as lilacs usually are, but hopefully I can do something to help it be happier. Sum & Substance is looking lovely with its big leafs unfurling. I am waiting for the slugs to find it (as usual) and decimate it.

I'm so sorry to read & see the raining & flooding so many are experiencing. I've got the weather channel on the television and they are showing the flooding in NH along with the map graphs of where the rain is falling. :o( I hope the weather system moves on soon.

We're expecting much hotter than normal temps for the next few days. They are calling for temps in the low 90's today....much hotter than our record high (86) that was set in the 1960s (I think that is what they said anyway, it was before coffee that I was listening to the local forecast).

We had a nice day yesterday. Spent the afternoon going to see our mother's and visiting with our children. I received a gift certificate to have an hour pedicure (never had one) and also a cement mold (to set in the garden) of DD's hand print with little Jamie's hand print inside his mommy's.

Oh heavens! They are showing photos of NH, Maine, Conn., NY, etc....the flooding, the standing water in main streets, they say the rains will continue for several more days. It looks awful.

Our shepherd has been acting bizarre for the past 3 days (counting today). He is panting, whining, agitated, climbing on the windows & doors trying to get in the house.........something is scaring him but I cannot see anything or hear anything (he is very noise sensitive so fireworks, gun shots, thunder, etc. will make him behave this way). I wonder if something big is going to happen (thinking of Mt. St. Helens or ??). He is just acting so weird. I have him inside the house right now, he is laying on the stairway landing where he can see me.

It is good to see some missing posters.....

Hope it is a good day for all.......

T.

o

Just jumping in to tell Babs that I'm sending lots of positive thoughts for Chris today.

I've been watching the weather station and it's looking pretty scary for you east coasters. Be careful and stay safe!

Be back later. I'm washing windows today. What fun!

Eden

o

T, I hope whatever is scaring your shepard goes away. Are the other animals acting strange too? The mold of your DDs and Jamies hand sounds very special.
I too recieved a gift certificate for a manicure and pedicure. Doesn't sound like something I would ever do. But I'm game to try it once. I also got a nursery gift certificate, and GS Jake gave me a delosperma he picked out himself. He brought along his venus flytrap to show me. He has wanted one for awhile now. It must be a boy thing as one of the older boys at our gathering said he had one once. Wyatt wasn't feeling well yesterday and was rather quite.

Deanne, Thanks again for the lovely plants. I sure hope you don't wind up with water in the basemnt. The flooding sounds scary. We have been having rainy cool weather too. It is good because I have been stuck inside for a week now and have a few more days to go on this project. I am sick of staining and painting. I'm loving my new floors though. Dh is still on the fence about giving up his soft carpet though. To late :) ,to bad.

Hi Cindy

Martie , my laveder is growing in a pot on the front porch. Sounds like your projects are coming along.

Babs, You and Chris are on my mind today. I'm sure he will do fine.

Michelle, Kenzie looks like she is getting tall. Nice to see you both.

GB, your Clematis walk is going to be so pretty. I can visualize it already. What a neat idea.
I make cream of asparagus soup a couple of times during the season. Nice for a chilly day.

Monique that is an 'electric' combo. What is the yellow flower?

Hi Suzy

Mary, How is your back doing? I would love to see Annies clay box. Thoughtful gifts from both her and David.

Sue Count me among the ones with a drop down work space that never gets put up LOL. But its nice to know that it could be.

Honey, your garden looks so lovely. I remember when we were all anxiously awaiting the installation of your birdbath. It is a lovely addition. Those skid steers are so easy to get stuck and not easy to get out. I have done it many times. I now just leave it for Dh to get out as soon as I know I'm in trouble. LOL. Can't wait to see the end results of your makeover.

Eden, Sometimes our kids do make us proud don't they. That was so thoughtful of your son.
I finally got to take a walk around the garden yesterday morning. Like the rest of you the rains here have really made things grow including the weeds. I am so behind out there. I keep telling myself I will catch up someday. The new floors will be worth the time missed in the garden. Right?

Hello Ei, and everyone else. I need to get back to business here and pay some bills then paint and stain. This is the first morning I have had alone for awhile and I'm enjoying the peace and quite. I told the floor guys they had been here long enough when the dogs started giving them the welcome home bark!

Later, perverts and ax murders. LOL Norma

PS , Hi Marian

o

Norma, lolol, perverts and axe murderers...you must have been telling someone about all the people you meet on line.

Gray and dreary here. The rain has stopped for the time being but is supposed to start up again this afternoon and continue through tomorrow. Here in central CT we're not getting as much as they are in MA, ME & NH. Deanne already told you about all the fun we had on Saturday...lol. Chelone posted some pictures on the New England forum of some flooded areas in her town. Tom is chomping at the bit to get out and start hardscaping around the hot tub. Right now it's sitting in the middle of a mud field. I'm way behind in the garden at this point but what else is new?

Michelle, how can you be old enough to be a grandmother when I'm too young to be anybody's mother? Speaking of mother's day, it sounds like you all enjoyed it. We took my MIL out to eat to a delicious restaurant. Yesterday was Nick's BD. He was born on Mother's Day 6 years ago, less than a month after I lost my Zak somewhat suddenly and prematurely to renal failure. Nick has been the gift that keeps on giving.

OK, I'm heading out to a nursery that is rumored to have compost available by the yard. Maybe I can get some delivered for the end of the week.

Happy Monday!

Sue

o

Good morning and a belated Happy Mothers Day to all the gardening moms. We had quite the soggy weekend here. Friday I drove to Champaign to pick up DS and it rained the entire trip down and back. Not heavy rain but the annoying kind where you are constantly turning the windshield wipers on and off. But I wont complain too much, because we arent in any flood danger. Other than the rain, it was a smooth, uneventful trip. I was somewhat surprised when my MIL called the next day to be sure I had made the trip okay and that I "didnt get lost." Lost? We were doing this drive two or three times a year before DS was going to school down there. How would I get lost?

Saturday we hosted a walk for the local land conservation group. We had about 25 people show up on a very cold, damp morning; DH and I each took half and we toured the wildflowers in the woods as well as wetlands and the restoration work we had done there. Most of the folks on the tour lived fairly close by and were already doing some restoration work on their own property or had expressed some interest. I told DH later that it was rather impressive to have people furiously taking notes as I talked. While it didnt rain during our tour, the grass was very soggy and after a while my feet and the bottoms of my jeans became soggy also. We then went on to two other properties in the area, and it did start to rain while we were at those sites. We finished with a box lunch in a picnic shelter at the boy scout camp, and we could have used a boy scout or two to start a fire for us! I would have never thought that I would ask for a fire in the fireplace on May 13, but we did have one that evening. I didnt think I would ever get the chill out of my bones.

Our original plan for Sunday was to go downtown to visit the garden show in Grant Park, but after Friday and Saturdays rains, I couldnt bear the thought of more tromping around in the drizzle. So we visited a local nursery instead! I bought a Miss Kim lilac to replace a hypericum that didnt survive the winter, got some more veggie plants and a few annuals. Two rex begonias found their way onto the cart (I hate when they jump off the shelves like that) and I justified a higher price by the fact that I can take cuttings and winter them over. When we got home, I got the veggies planted, a few pots planted up and a weed or two pulled. At least the weeds pull easy! The guys tried to put up the canvas-roofed gazebo that DH bought, but that project was a failure. : ( In fact, I was really kicking myself over that one, because the one I had really liked was a bit more expensive but DH told me over the phone that he thought this one was just as nice. Well, it doesnt have one of the features that I liked best about the more expensive one and we struggled to no avail to get the roof on. We ended up with two tiny rips and a roof that seems like it just doesnt fit in fact, the corners didnt even square up properly. Chelone would have a mouthful to say about the shoddy construction on this canvas roof! So, we have a roofless frame in the yard and Im afraid to ask what will happen next.

Cindy, the annuals I bought on Sunday were $3.99 for a 4" pot. Im not seeing too many of the cell pack annuals anymore.

Marie, good job on your post holes! Digging in clay can be nasty business indeed.

Deanne, I hope your basement stays dry. Im thinking good thoughts for everyone out east. While weve had several days of rain, cloud cover and cool temps, at least the rain has been on the lighter side. Our local rivers dont even look very high at the moment. The forecast here remains dreary, with a potential for more rain every day this week!

Babs, I am thinking of Chris and sending him good, calm vibes. It will be such a milestone to have that behind him!

Time to run. TTYL!

V.

o

Well hello from long ago...I introduced myself last summer and then quickly realized that I couldn't keep up with the speed of this forum. However, I have kept up with you all periodically by peeking in and seeing how everyone's doing and of course by being inspired by all of your beautiful gardens. I had a questions and hope I'm not too bold to drop back in to ask it. On Moniques's last post with the picture for Mother's Day...I have that plant with the variegated leaves in front of the heuchera, but I have no idea what it is. I got it at a plant exchange and it was unlabeled. I've had it in a pot for the last year afraid to put in my garden because I didn't know if it would take over or not. Could you please tell me what it is? Yours is much healthier than mine and mine has never bloomed. Thanks so much.

It also sounds like you all have had many mini-idyllunions lately. I'm a little jealous! Right now, with 3 small kiddos, that's just not in the cards for me, but it sounds wonderful and I hope that everyone enjoys Idyllunion this summer--and takes lots of pictures to post so that I can continue to enjoy it vicariously! As school winds down with my kids (we homeschool) I'm hopeful that maybe I can pop back in to "see" you all more often.

Thanks so much,
Lauren

o

Lauren and Norma,
The variegated plant in my photo is Euphorbia epithymoides 'First Blush'. The photo was taken a week ago in my front yard. I had a yellow and green variegated sedum there before and didn't like it (floppy and spindly), so I replaced it last year with the Euphorbia.

o

I don't get it....I came in because of thunderstorms...and now the sun is shining. Go figure.... Think I'll grab a bite of lunch and head back out!

I'm thinking good thoughts for Chris and Babs. As the prof's wife, I love these days because it means a good dinner celebration afterwards with the gang!

Good luck to you soggy folks to the east! I hate cleaning up wet basements...and I'm sure you are no different in that department! Hope everyone remains safe. Yes, the weeds sure do grow fast and furiously in this weather!

I'm jealous of all the free manicure and pedicures. Those are luxuries I can adjust to, even though I don't usually like being pampered. They just make you feel so good afterwards

Maybe I'll get a few things planted now. I was given a bleeding heart at the plant sale on the weekend. Should look nice with the pink tulips and forget-me-nots. Later fellow addicts,
'bug

o
RE: Idyll #265 We're Singin' (And Plantin') In The Sun

Thinking of Chris' dissertation defense....I don't think Babs mentioned what time it would be and how long it would take. I'm tied in knots whenever I imagine what Chris is doing and how Babs is feeling. I hope it all turns out okay.

V, it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend even with the rain.

Hi Lauren! I've wondered how you've been doing. I cannot help you with the plant id, but I'm sure you'll get replies from many.

Hi Norma, I hope you'll share the end results with us. It sounds like you are getting so many things accomplished!

'bug, how hard you & your DH must have worked to get those 18 posts in the ground! Eager to see what you've done when you are ready to share photos.

Taryn sends her best and she hopes to write soon (tomorrow?) with an update on what is happening in their lives & on Bruce.

I've got a request from DD. They are going to decorate the babies' room with the license plate collection that her DH has collected over the years. They thought they had all but a few of the states' plates but in going through the collection they find that they are missing 17 of the states. This is the email I received:

Hello Everyone,
We are trying to collect license plates to decorate the babies' room from all 50 states. We are short 17 states and was wondering if anyone had some license plates from these states that they'd like to donate to the babies' room.

We need:
Connecticut
Idaho
Illinois
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New York
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Vermont
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Me again, if you have an old license plate from any of these states and wouldn't mind donating it to decorate the nursery, I'd be happy to pay the postage. Now, don't be going around town and finding someone you don't like to take their car plate. ;o) But if your state is like ours, they make us replace our plates every so many years and we have plates sitting around if we don't put them in the recycling bin.

Shepherd is still in the house sleeping up on the landing. I've talked to a couple other dog owners and their dogs aren't behaving in an agitated or bizarre manner. I sure hope this guy hasn't gone weird on us.....or perhaps he has figured out it is cooler in the house? lol Nah, he really is scared & agitated over something and I wish I could figure out if it is a real concern or if he is just becoming more noise sensitive. He is calm & perfectly fine while in the house......weird.

Later~
T.

o

No sunshine here Deanne. I just went for a walk during noon hour and got rained out. Luckily I had taken my umbrella with me.
I hope all is well with you yet. I saw pictures on TV of NH and one gal was standing in 2 of water in some guys backyard.

Thanks for all the nice comments about the picture of Kenzie and I. I really do feel too young to be a grandma.

Martie, great to hear from you.

T, what a cute idea with the license plates. It looks like Iowa has been acquired, or else Id send one. I hope you dog isnt predicting anything dire.

Norma, youll love the pedicure. Im taking Wed. off and hopefully the sun will shine as predicted. I have a gift certificate for a massage so I have scheduled it for Wed. a.m.

Lauren, nice to hear from you again. Im wondering if you plant is lysimachia Alexander It is a slow spreader. Heres a picture of mine.

o

Monique,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm hoping that's what I have but I'm a little hesitant because after googling it, I'm not 100% sure. I may see if it blooms for me and than maybe I'll be sure. And Michelle, I'd have to say I wouldn't be disappointed if it turned out to be lysimachia either based on your picture. You all are so talented with your plant placement. I find I can get things to grown and they are healthy enough, but I struggle with the placement. I rearrange plants more than my furniture. LOL, maybe that's the way it's suppose to be!

T - thanks for the hello and what a great idea for a baby's nursery. Take pictures when they're all through so that we can see what it looks like.

Thanks again for the info.

Lauren

o

Monique, that's Euphorbia First Blush??? Jeez, that plant is a dog for me. One has disappeared completely and the other is so small you need a microscope to see it. Believe it or not, I have it paired with Heucheras too. I guess I'll stick with Lysimachia Alexander (nice picture, Michelle).

T, I'll have to check to see if we have any old license plates hanging around. Tom has had the same number since the beginning of time and I think he got a newer set a few years ago. Maybe he kept the old ones.

Hi Lauren and Suzy! Stop in whenever you can-once an idyller, always an idyller.

Sue

o

Hi everyone. Ive been outside in the rain putzing in the garden. Dug out some daffys and tulips from the back, deadheaded the Pulmonaria blooms, shovel pruned some Carex that didnt come back and took a stroll around thinking about other moves.

DS made a delish dinner yesterday and it was great spending some time with DB, SIL and kids. I ate far more than I have in months and even then I ravaged a small piece of SIN-sation chocolate cake and a sliver of NY cheesecake. I made sure the left-overs went home with others. But what a treat.

On our way home last night, just when we thot it had stopped raining, we got caught in an absolute deluge on the freeway and had to pull over b/c we couldnt see. That was followed by t-storms that shook the house. Sheesh. Were hoping theyre right and we get a little sun for awhile tomorrow.

My eyelids are all swollen and itchy, and my eyes feel like they have sandpaper in them. Im getting some relief from Benedryl and Visine, but I dont remember having this bad a reaction in spring. DN said the Dr. told her that a lot of people are having the same problem. Its b/c we had a mild winter followed by a very warm spring that caused all the trees and blooms with their pollen, to converge on us at once.

DD stopped by for lunch today and agrees that perhaps our front "lake" should be pumped out to give it a chance to dry. Ill talk to DH tonite and see if he thinks we should rent one as soon as this current storm passes to help it dry out so we can get the work out there moving along again soon. We both hate things out of place and really messy, so we might. And it is a mess out there.

Deanne, Im so glad youve been updating us. As Ive been watching the rain, flooding stories from the NE, its good to know you and Doug are OK. I didnt realize our swirling rainmaker is contributing to your monsoons. BTW, those yellow Asiatics were $2.59/ea at HD on a cold, dreary day. I couldnt resist. Also, I meant to tell you that I, too, usually compose my post in Word and then copy and paste it to the forum. However, Word wasnt working on my new laptop thats why I lost the post. DH found out that we only got a "trial" version of Word with the laptop. DH purchased and installed it so hopefully, that problem is solved.

Michelle, that photo of you and Kenzie is the best! What a keepsake. Yep, you are far too young to be a grandma.

Eden, Im so impressed with your kids. Theyre all so thotful and kind to each other. What your son did is truly the sweetest thing. What a catch hell be for some gal.

Belated Happy birthday to Annie! Mary, I cant believe how grown up she looks now in the pic you posted from the mini IU you hosted. David and Annies Mothers Day gifts were so sweet.

Hi Lauren, Marty, Cindy and Suzy. Drop back in again soon.

Thinking of Babs biting her nails for Chris and sending good vibes to both!

T, thats really strange behavior from your shepherd. Let us know what you finally decide its all about. How are your DD and twins doing? And just how many baby clothes and toys has Gma bot them already?!

Norma, how nice you remember us getting the BB. Its still one of my favorite things in the garden. I love the simple lines of it. DH and I get such a kick out of watching the Robins when they visit. How wonderful you got such thoughtful gifts for Mothers Day! One of lifes special treats is to get a pedicure! Especially the leg and foot massage part. I just swoon thinking about it. Enjoy!

Michelle, your Blue Denim is gorgeous! I looked online to order and most of the sources are in the UK. Is it a new intro here?

Thanks Ei, for your nice comments on my garden. Mary, you, too! I appreciate it. I keep telling my self Im not going to obsess about the state of it this yr. and see what happens. I had to divide, move and redo so much last fall.

Bug, what a huge job you and DH took on! You must be exhausted. Im so glad youre just outside these swirling bands of rain weve been getting. I was worried that your creek would be flooding.

Well, DH just got home. Gotta run. Tootles for now.

Honey

o

We just got another 1/2" of rain dumped on us in the last half hour or so and it's still raining. Our swirling rainmaker has broken up but now the rain's coming from the east. How strange is that? I know you guys out there have had more than enough but don't be sending it this way, lol.

I wonder if Babs will have time to let us know how things went for Chris today? Hope so. I think he was scheduled for 2pm.

I've got one of those euphorbia first blush that I bought a couple of weeks ago sitting in my pot ghetto. I wonder how it'll do here?

Cindy, I have a thalictrum black stocking too. I got it from White Flower Farm last year. Wish I would have known it was offered through Bluestone.

Good news, I got an email that my coleus order has been shipped and it should be here Wed. I also have a new hydrangea lemon wave being delivered later this week. The one I had died over the winter. I also lost of all things a tatting fern that I've had for about 3 years. Strange.

Norma, I bet your floor is beautiful. It's never any fun doing those home improvement projects but so nice when they're completed. We've always got a few going around here.

Deanne, I think I'm going to hold off until all of this rain and flooding has passed before I mail out your begonias. I don't want them floating down a river on some mail truck. Oh and I would love a bit of the iris rhizome if you have extra.

I'm worried about my old man kitty, Abraham. He's been losing weight and I've been keeping a close eye on him. He's so old and feeble that I don't want to put him through tests and procedures at the vet so I'll keep him here at home as long as he seems comfortable. He seemed restless last night and kept waking me by tapping me with his paw. He's been sleeping most of today and he's eating and drinking but I fear the end is getting near for him. I'll miss him, he was a feral I rescued and turned out to be the sweetest most intelligent cat you could imagine. I've had him for 9 years now.

It was great to check in today and hear from a few Idylls that haven't been here in a while. Hope you all can stick around.

Well, it's still raining here and though we haven't had any basement leaks so far I'd better go check. I have the wet vac at the ready.

Eden

o

OK, back as promised. I've been catching up on reading. Things have been moving so fast around here it seems like my head is swimming at times.

Oldest DS has moved home from IU and is now saying he's laying out a year and working. Wants to change majors and schools. The one he wants to go to is in Florida and he says he's not ready to move that far away yet (this from my outgoing, never say die, not afraid of anything child). So I guess he'll be at home now for a while. His dorm room was a sight to behold, not for the faint hearted, let me tell you. But the three of us packed, loaded and cleaned the whole thing in only 4 1/2 hours, so that wasn't too bad.

He went back the next week for his last final, stayed to visit with friends, and then hit a deer on the way home. Thank God he ended up taking his Durango instead of the Grand Am he wanted to take for the gas mileage. He said he might have hit two, feels like he ran over the top of one and saw one sliding sideways away from the truck. Called me immediately, didn't stop, made it home. He was fine, said it was no worse than hitting a big pothole in the road (that would not have been the case in the small car). $2000 in damages, but no effect on the insurance, because it was a deer hit, so no harm done in the long run.

Younger DS is nearly through with school - graduation looms. I have announcements to address, a poster to make for the band reception, pictures to order, etc. He's was accepted at his college of choice before Christmas and awarded a nice fat scholarship for four years - equates to a year free, overall. He was quite pleased. Last weekend was the big High School Band celebration - we have the honor of having the first public high school band in the nation and this year is the 100 year celebration. DS and four other members of the family have been in this band, including one who was in the very first band. The school chose to ignore this fact, despite the fact that DS is the only one who can claim this honor, so when they passed out the festival tshirts, DH and I modified the back of it with a picture of the first band and a list of all the members and their instruments and years in the band. I felt like he deserved that recognition.

A good friend of his did a senior prank last week - honestly, it was classic, best one I've ever heard and really did no lasting harm (and no vandalism), but he got caught and has been suspended for 5 days, wasn't allowed to go to prom, kicked out of National Honor Society, and isn't allowed to walk at graduation. I think it's a bit harsh, actually, compared to some of the senior pranks that happen. He's a nice kid, very bright.

Last week I had to take my 17 pound cat to the vet. He's been "off" for a couple of weeks, had one eye partly closed, and then I noticed he wasn't eating and had lost weight. The vet first thought he had a bad tooth and recommended pulling it, cleaning his teeth, and while he was asleep, cleaning out his nasty ears (I've been working on them for some time trying to get them cleaned up, with no luck). The end result was that the tooth wasn't as bad as they thought, it was the ears after all. So he's home with clean teeth, clean ears, antibiotics and ear drops. He's still a bit wobbly (surgery was last Thursday morning) but I'm thinking now it's a balance issue from his ears, not from the anesthesia. He was a riot on Thursday night, still drunk from the anesthesia, falling all over himself and purring the whole time, glad to be home. He runs when I shake up the medicine, just like a little kid!

Add to that a first - I got talked into hosting a Tupperware party, which in the end came off fairly well. I ended up with a fair amount of goodies, got what I wanted, so I'm happy. But that was probably a once in a lifetime occurence - I'm not the party host type! We made it a themed party, had margaritas and made salsa, and had fun. Especially with the margaritas!

And even though it was cold and rainyish, I had a nice Mother's day. I got to eat at Outback and plant shop - came home with a Forever and Ever Red Hydrangea, Jack Frost Brunnera, and Blue eyed grass. I'll get more when I go to my fav nursery later. I also found locally last week Endless Summer hydrangeas (one for me, one for my Mom for Mother's Day), and two heucheras - Dolce Creme Brulee and Snow Angel. Now if it would just stop raining!

I had hoped to be able to share baby Cardinal pictures with you this year. Mama cardinal worked very hard making a nest in the polish spirit clematis just off my front porch, sat on her eggs and hatched them. They were about 5 days old, just at the cheeping stage, when one night about 1 am I heard her chirping madly. The next day the next was empty and she was gone. I guess some predator came in the night and raided the nest. I know it wasn't our cats! But we have lots of other wildlife around here. Now I think the wrens are building in the wrenhouse again, though, and I know there are doves around.

This is long enough, so Hello to everyone! I'm off to make chili for dinner.

suzy

o

OMG, I just walked the garden its on steroids! I cant believe the size of my Happy Returns! And other Tree Peonies are about to bloom, the Lamium is 3 times its normal size. Amazing what rain will do.

Sadly, no sign of the signets on the pond. Mamma Swan swims around where the nest was which is totally under water now. Sooo sad.

Eden, so sorry to hear about Abraham. They are such loves and we do what we can for them. How neat he turned into such a special, intelligent kitty. I really think we have no idea how smart they really are. If only we knew! Bullet has been asking for more food lately and weve been giving him what he wants. He was down to 9 lbs from 12-13, so I figure it cant hurt. If he wants it, he gets it. He does and he has. But geez. Louise, the stinky processing! I know hes got renal failure going on, but hes not in distress so were not taking him to the vet either even tho hes due for shots. Our thinking is, hes minimally exposed, why stress him. Hes our baby.

Suzy, congrats to 2nd son on his scholarship and honors. Good for you to pick up the mantra and celebrate your familys history and contributions. Sometimes the powers that be dont hear us, do they? But what a trauma re DS#1! How great is that that he took the right vehicle and only sustained $2,000 damage! From my experience, if hed have taken the Grand Am, it wouldve been totaled for sure, not to mention possible injuries to DS. Im so glad to hear he got home unscathed.

LOL over the kitty still reeling from anesthesia. Theyre so funny when they cant "get right" afterwards. Glad you found the source of the problem and finally got his ears cleaned. Bullet had a horrid infection of ear mites when we got him and I have to really watch them and clean often. Its a pain.

Well, its time to check my email. Stay dry, everyone. BTW, wheres Marian? Hope all is well. Nite all.

Honey

o

Suzy, Congrats to your younger son and its good your older son wasn't hurt. The deer are so unpredictable.
To bad about the Cardinals eggs. We have some in our clematis by the porch also.

Honey it is sad about the Swans nest.

I was wondering about Marian too. I hope things are ok there. Norma

o

Hi guys,

Just a quick post tonight. Ill catch up with everyone tomorrow but I wanted to post these pics. The state is a mess with hundreds of roads washed out and way too many people with homes and businesses under water.

I stopped into a nursery in Litchfield this afternoon looking for those Shadow Dancer fuchsias. Anyway, I was so distressed for the family that owns and operates this farm. Half of their greenhouses were under water. Theyd spent the night and early morning trying to get all their plants out of the greenhouses. Theyd gotten a lot but not all their plants out before the water covered them. You can see some flats floating around in this first photograph.

They also had about 14 acres under water here. Theyd just planted out their corn and tomatoes and also have four acres of strawberries gone. I felt so badly for these people but the woman I was speaking with said she felt lucky because their families and homes are fine. There was an example of someone with a good attitude. You can see a couple flats of tomatoes floating in front of the door to the greenhouse. She said they watched hundreds of their flats floating down the river this morning.

This is the Merrimack River at the north bridge from Nashua to Hudson NH. Im standing on the levee on the Nashua side of the river. There are two levels of levee there and the first is almost under water. The river is about 9 feet above flood stage here and they were talking that it was going to go up another five feet or so by tomorrow. Hopefully we wont get any more rain tonight. That could be pretty bad.

This is the old power station in downtown Nashua, NH. It is now a Mexican restaurant and the bar is down on this lower level, under water now. Ive only seen the water this high one other time about 20 years ago.

This is the dam on the Nashua River on the other side of the restaurant. I cant believe how high the water is below the dam. The water below the dam is usually at least sixteen feet below the dam.

Lets hope we miss this next round of rain they are predicting for tonight and tomorrow.

Deanne

o

Evening everyone!

I took some photos today and had a couple I thought I'd share.

A Robin built a nest in our carport a few weeks ago. I set up a ladder when I heard some chirping this morning and I found a couple of hungry little mouths (little?):

I took this photo last night. Boo came running when it was dinner time. :oD That boy loves his food.....

And for Ei.......a very belated but heartfelt Happy Anniversary from me and the gang......

Oh Deanne, thank you for the photos.....I feel horrible for those who are flooded. Words just can't help nor express......I started my post, then went outside to sit on the deck with DH, came back in and refreshed to see what you've shared. I hope the rains ease soon and the waters recede before causing any more damage.

My best to all......
T.

o

Deanne, That is soo awful! I hope no lives will be lost.
I am so sorry for all that are effected by the rains.

I went to the New England Gardens forum and saw/read Chelone's account of things there.

As for me, I am okay. Just haven't been in the mood to post.
But I am happy to see some of our absent members. I have read all.

How can I complain about our colder than normal temps...with such devestation going on elsewhere? I did discover that many more of my plants had been damaged by the hail than I first thought. Many shreaded leaves and flowers. They will all recover eventually, ( except for the lost flowers), but it is no big deal.
I am sure missing my digital. So many lovely peonies, iris, and clems and no way of sharing them. I will be shopping for another, but will have to have a new computer to use it with! Even if I found another digital camera that uses floppies, I think my computer's Floppy drive is kapoot.

Babs, I know nothing about what your Chris is doing...having never went to college, but I sure hope all went well for him.

I hope we hear from Taryn soon, and Lisa, and everyone else who is having either weather related problems, health problems, or home problems.

Marian

o

Happy Birthday Teresa

o
1RE: Idyll #265 We're Singin' (And Plantin') In The Rain

Good morning

T - have a wonderful day today! Your pictures are lovely, I especially love Boo's mane flying in the wind. Are they by chance on something new? The clarity is great!

Deanne - I've been listening to news of the flooding - just awful. Your pictures remind us of the families who stand to loose so much. I hope the worst rain is over.

Suzy - nice to hear from you. Congratulations to your DS on his scholarship and impending graduation.

Martie - great you could check in too. Are your seedlings in the ground yet? (Probably not with all your rain).

So no news from Babs - is that good or bad? Perhaps she a Chris were off celebrating last night.

I've thought a lot about Gigi and Bruce. Hope we get an update soon though I fear the worst. Good thoughts going out to all those facing challenges.

Mary

o

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERESA !

o

Teresa,

o

Happy Birthday T...I hope you have moments that make you feel as magnificent and "let loose" as Boo does in that moving pic! What a wonderful, inspiring, magical moment you captured there! And I *love* your little birdie pic too. You have quite the artists eye too, T! :-) Happy Birthday, Happy Everything, Happy Always! Ei

P.S. Marian - that is about the most *adorable* picture I've ever seen! :-) And Mary I *love* the rich color in your pic too...is that a crabapple? Just Gorgeous!

Have A Great Day All! Ei

o

Enjoy your day!

Just a quick update from the flood region - everyone is OK here, no major flooding in my immediate area. My heart goes out to all that have had damage in their homes and businesses.

Been so busy, I've been only skimming and enjoying the great pics - such beautiful gardens all of you have!

I'm tired of being rained in; I feel like I am really getting behind in all of my gardening. The hostas I wanted to divide have probably tripled in size with all this rain! My rain barrel was full days ago, and I wish there was a way to save more of this water for the summertime.

Thinking of all of you!

-Wendy

o

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, T!!

And Many, many more!!
Cindy

o

Happy Birthday T!- Card to follow tonight:)

Heres whats been happening in my neck of the woods Saturday morning, I woke up and it was cold and rainy, so Jen, Skip, Devin and I went down to Bakers Acres Greenhouse. It was definitely worth the trip for me. They didnt have many shrubs, but they had a number of plants that I have been wanting for quite a while, and cant find close to home. I got two hydrastis candenisis, Persicaria Painters palette, Persicaria Firetail, they had just sold out of Angelica Gigas, so I wont have that this year. I also got two really cool Coleus, Alabama sunset, and Bi-Polar By Golly. I also got another coleus locally that I really like called Coco Loco, and Sedona, too. I also got some succulents dont know why but there they were. Last summer during Idyllunion, I really liked the succulent garden displayed, and I saw a few of the plants they had. Now I have to figure out where to put them, and then what to do with them this winter.
Then I spent the rest of the weekend showing houses. Have to go write the contract on one tonight. So, that seems to be going well. If I do get the ax, I have a good feeling about hanging out, selling real estate, and maybe I can actually make some headway in my garden. I have been moving plants around. My plants are pretty crowded this year. This is an area of weakness for me.. I am never sure on placement. My blood root more than tripled in size since I moved it to the spot I have it now. I didnt know they got that big. It was under my huge old flowering crab apple, and I moved it where it has some room to put down roots. I see my Jack in The Pulpits are coming up, and the mayapples, too. I cut down two shaggy looking trees.. One was some kind of Cherry Laurelconsidered a weedy tree here, and the other one was a huge 15 foot tall shrub that the former owners had let grow into a tree form

Monique, that is a beautiful plant pic which one is it? And I loved the trip to the New York Botanical Garden. Wow!

Deanne, that is really amazing about the flooding. Those poor people with their business just flowing down the river. How sad. We needed water here so badly, but I think we have enough now. It has been raining on and off for 5 days.

Babs, congratulations to both you and Chris! How exciting to have reached a goal that you have been working on for so long. How did it go?

Gb, congrats on the post holes!

Nice to see Martie and Suzy!

Michelle, that is a great picture of you and Kenzie. Wow, she is growing so fast! Adorable!

Honey, that tree Peony is beautiful Is the bobcat out of your yard yet? You will have to give details about what you and your new designer come up with! This one sounds like a much better fit for you!

T- what a cool picture of your horse with the mane in the wind!

Ei, Happy Anniversary! You guys sure know how to celebrate! The dinner sounds delicious.

Marian, I hope you are feeling better.

Eden, sorry about your kitty. I hope he perks up. Your front porch area is so whimsical and cheery! Perfect for having a cup of tea. Reminds me of Alice in Wonderland or something fairytale-ish

I better go now, I was going to try to write something to everyone, but I will never get this completed. It has taken me a couple of days to complete this much, and it gets outdated.

Hope you all have a great day!

D.

o

We're having a brief glimpse of the sun this morning, and some of the rain clouds have disappeared from the weather forecast for later this week. I'm feeling better already!

Interesting news in the mail last night. Last fall, I was applying for a new life insurance policy and had an absolutely horrid experience. They didn't mail the first application as expected, they lost my first web application, they charged me the wrong amount initially and then began charging seemingly random amounts, etc., etc., etc. It seemed like things had finally settled down as of a couple of weeks ago, but last night the final blow arrived. They've lost a hard drive that had my name, address and social security number on it. Groovy. I never knew that applying for life insurance was supposed to be one of life's most stressful experiences. ;)

But the good news is that I was supposed to leave at 3:45 am this morning to drive my son to the airport, but he decided last night that he could ride in a few hours early with his roommate who had an earlier flight. So I got a full night's sleep instead of only a couple of hours.

Eden, I forgot to mention yesterday that it was very, very nice of your son to do that for his sister. He'll be a great husband to someone someday!

And was it Eden who asked if anyone had followed the advice in the Well-Tended Perennial Garden about cutting back plants by half? Last year, I planted Solidago 'Fireworks' in a container but I didn't want it to get too tall, so I cut it back according to her advice - in late June, I think? Anyway, it worked nicely on the Solidago; the plant stayed low and the container was well-balanced as a result. I've never tried it on garden plants in general, but I'm thinking out loud and I just may try it on some coreopsis this year. I'll have to look that up...

Deanne, those photos are incredible. You can imagine the chill it sends up my spine to see the greenhouses under water.

Hoping to hear news from Babs soon...

V.

o

Good morning!

Thank you for the birthday wishes. :oD Mary, your tree is beautiful, is it in your yard? Marian, your bird is lovely, is it a bluebird? I don't believe I've ever seen one with that coloring here. Blue is my favorite color so you picked the perfect bird, thank you. I just opened another window and see that there are many more messages (I stopped writing this and went outside to snap some pictures of the fog/mist coming up from the river and laying on the pasture). Thank you to everyone for your lovely cards and greetings.

Yep, a few minutes ago (now it is over an hour ago---I keep getting side-tracked as I write this) I turned the corner, hit the top of one of those hills in life...and I turned 50. Last year I spent my birthday crying all day long. Poor DH came home from work, said "Happy Birthday! Did you have a good day?" and all he got was sobs and hiccups. LOL I can laugh about it now.....but wow, it was a painful day for some reason.

Since that time I've puzzled over why I hate & dread my birthday so much (I usually don't answer the phone on my birthday and try to avoid lunch offered by friends or family). I wasn't always that way, but each year had become worse & worse. I finally figured out that over 12 years ago, my father was dying from cancer and was in the hospital on my birthday. I sat with him, alone, we watched M*A*S*H on television, then he turned to me and said he was sorry I was spending my birthday in a hospital. I told him I was happy to be anywhere that he was and I, too, was sorry that he was in the hospital. He then told me "you take care of those two girls" (my daughters) and I replied "I will". We both knew he was saying 'good-bye' and thinking that he wouldn't be around for any more birthdays.....for me, for his granddaughters, for anyone. He did get released from the hospital, went home and died a few days later.

I think that is when I started dreading my birthday and avoiding people on that day. I didn't put it together until a few days ago when a friend asked me "what happened to make you hate your birthday? I want to shout from the rooftops when it is my birthday!" I decided it was time to figure it out. All I came up with was dad wasn't here any longer, that last birthday, with him, was one I remember vividly but wished it hadn't happened like that and like a little kid I was pouting--I wish my dad was still here.

Soooo, (long story over) I decided that from now on I'd enjoy celebrating this day as the blessing that it is....many people don't get to celebrate turning 50 (or whatever number) and I am quite blessed to be able to.

Thank you for your wishes......they are much appreciated. :oD

Oh! Mary mentioned taking the photos with something 'new'. Yes, I have a new camera. My very dear hubby knows how much I enjoy taking photos so he bought me a new digital SLR camera. Mary & her hubby were so very kind in answering my questions as I was researching which camera and lenses to choose. It will take me ages to understand how to use it well, and it will be quite awhile until we can buy a telephoto lens for it....but watch out when I do........lol, you'll be seeing the glint in an elk's eye when that time comes. I was so thrilled to catch Boo's mane flowing in the wind as he ran. I lost some of the sharpness & clarity when I downsized the photos but there are many, many settings to figure out/play with and I'll work on keeping the detail without making the photos 48" x 32", lol.

T.

o

Deanne those photos are bone-chilling I sure hope no more rain for a couple days for NE .... Weve got sun here today (for a while) Im feeling so cheerful (even at work) amazing what those rays will do to you.

V and Eden (?) re the Well Tended Perennial Garden tip re cutting back perennials it really works on a lot of things for me in this area (Z6-7) but she also lists those that do not seem to take to it "well" (I havent tested those figure she probably knows from actual experimenting) Its a really handy reference. And Ive found it works very very well on my large sedums, phlox paniculata, monardas Im cutting a bunch of that stuff back in half now, and some I just cut down in staggered rows (the phlox) which helps bloom time, etc.,

Suzy congrats on DS whos got the scholarship thats neat! And so lucky the other DS had a not more horrible encounter w/ those deer.

Ill check in later for more "eye candy" its such a treat to get thru the day in an ugly office when I sneak a peak at these gorgeous gardens!!

-Cindy

o

Happy, Happy Birthday to a very special lady! Hope your day is wonderful...

Eden

o

Happy Birthday T!

o

• Posted by taryn S Ontario Z6B (My Page) on
    Tue, May 16, 06 at 11:16

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERESA!

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Taryn
P.S. Hi everyone, and I hope to catch up with ya'll soon...

o

Happy Birthday, Theresa!

It's so sad you have the reminder of your horrific loss on your b'day, but hopefully you're comforted by the warm and loving memories that it brings up, too.

Oh, I love all the pix!

Deanne, thanks for updating us on the flooding in your area. It's just so sad for all those who have lost homes and businesses. I hope the losses are covered by insurance. Even so, it's awful to have to deal with the aftermath.

V, so sorry you're having trouble with the insurance. I hope that hard drive and info wasn't stolen, that it just crashed.

Short post from me this am. Gotta run to the store.

TTYL,
Honey

o

Go for it T, ENJOY YOUR DAY!

o

The sun is shining today whoo hoo! Although, I believe rain is predicted for Thurs and Sat. On Sat. I have to go the Minneapolis for my nieces 1st Communion. I hope to accomplish a lot on my day off tomorrow. I dont think I mentioned what a great time Laura, my mom and I had at the Teahouse on Sat. Ive added a link below if you are interested.

Deanne, I hope you are still dry. Your pictures are really something. They were showing pictures of the Merrimack River this a.m. again. The floating greenhouses is a terrible sight.

Honey, I could send you some of the Blue Denim or bring it to IU3. I received it from a lady who is really into iris.

Eden, sorry to hear that Abraham isnt doing well.

T, your new camera does a great job. LOL "me and the gang" There are sure a lot of gorgeous pictures already for your birthday. I hope that your birthday can be a joyful day, although I can see why you would mentally connect it with the last day with your dad. Im glad you shared the story with us.

Drema, it sounds like you scored at the nursery. I have looked for the Angelica Gigas also and havent found it locally. It looks like a cool plant.

Sue, I think you mentioned planting the castor and hyacinth bean seeds. I am no seed expert, but its not too late. You could actually direct sow now.

Hopefully, those who are too wet start to dry out today.

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Annabelles Tearoom

o

Happy Birthday T!!!! I'll post a photo when I get home later, but I wanted to send out good wishes asap.

Monique

o

T- Hope your day is everything you could wish!

D.

o

o

(sorry I don't mean to step on the bday wishes!) T, mine's coming for you in a bit...: )

Defense details to come as well....I can breathe again!

~Babs

o

WHOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Congratulations Chris (DR. CHRIS!!!) and Babs!!!

What wonderful news!!!! Eager to hear the details. :o)

I just got home from town and need to finish putting away groceries.

Thank you for the lovely birthday cards and wishes. :o)

T.

o

The dragons are slain and Chris is the victor! Congratulations!

The prof here says "Gee, I even understand his title!" ;-)

o

Babs - that is fabulous, fabulous news! Many congratulations and a big hug to Dr Chris!

Mary

o

Wonderful news Babs! Congratulations to Dr. Chris! I'm so pleased for you BOTH!

Eden

o

Congratulations Dr.Chris ! Great news, Babs.

Yes Teresa, that is an Eastern Bluebird. A patriotic fellow, isn't he...:-)

Well, I bought a brand new range today. The first new one that I have had in many many years. It will be delivered next week. I bought it at Home Depot, and it has to be shipped from elsewhere.

Marian

o

Glad you decided to enjoy your BD again.

And congrats to Dr. Chris too! Wow, Babs, that's just great!

Sue

o

Is there a doctor in the house? LOL! Congratulations to Dr. Chris and his wonderful wife Babs! :-) That's terrific news! Ei

o

I couldn't resist:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY T :)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Yes, we have our very own woodpecker.
Doing his best to make multiple homes out of ours, so I commiserate with your recent woes.

Cheers,
Barb

o

Marie, how's your Cotinus 'Golden Spirit'? Mine leafed out a week or two ago.

Congrats Dr. Chris and Babs!

o

o

Woohoo!!!! Congratulations to Dr. Chris!!! Oh Babs, that is just fabulous news. So happy to hear your good news.

Deanne

o

Monique, my Cotinus 'Golden Spirit' consists of 2 skinny stems, about 18" tall with a few buds at the base, no foliage yet. Living though! I even bought another smaller one because it was a deal at the grocery store. Yours must be fairly big by now! How big was it when you first got it? I wonder if it will grow any bigger, especially since it was a mild winter as things go around here.

I should be singin', right Eden? Rain, rain, rain....

'bug

o

Babs, that is the most fantabulous news. Congratulations to Dr. Chris and to the woman who was at his side through it all. I am very happy for both of you.

Michelle

o

T,I'm happy to hear you are feeling better about your birthday. Lucky you on the new camera. Keep those pictures coming.

Congratulations to Chris. A great accomplishment.

Norma

o

Congratulations, Dr. Chris (and Babs too, great news!).

And Happy Birthday, Teresa. Sorry no picture. I came in late :(

A rather trying day for me - oldest DS now says he's moving to Florida next week, and youngest DS informed me he's decided to stay in the dorm next year instead of commuting from home. I'm a bit sad....ok, a lot sad.... I know they grow up and leave home but I guess I'm just not as ready as I thought I was for the oldest to be so far away and the youngest to not live here at home. Guess I need a good, private cry. Only mothers understand.

Hope everyone else had a good day.

Good for you on the new range, Marian. I know you'll be so happy when it comes.

suzy

o

Hi, just wanted to say one more time 'thank you' to everyone for their lovely photos and birthday wishes. I couldn't sleep so I got up thinking I'd enjoy looking at them again and catching up on what was posted during the late afternoon & evening when I wasn't able to check the computer.

Exciting news about Dr. Chris......what a relief that must be and how giddy & happy that household must be. :o) Wonderful news!

Marian, glad you were able to order you a brand new range. I hope it arrives soon.

Suzy, when my children left home I got a second dog--a little dog to have near me daily in the house.....and then a few months later when I was still missing my children, I got another dog.........thankfully I grew use to the quiet and fact that this is the way it was going to be before I got dog #4. :o) I enjoy my 2 little 'house' dogs and I am glad to have them, but I'd turn back the clock in a flash to enjoy reliving a day or two of having my children still young & living with us. Knowing my luck, I'd get to relive a day or two of the 'teenage terrors'......and then I'd smile when they reverted back to being wonderful, loving, responsible *adult* children, living with their husbands. :o) Another bump in the road of being a parent and having our children grow up (and away). Not easy but it is wonderful that they are able and capable to live on their own. You'll be fine....after a few bouts of tears....and perhaps a couple more dogs. lol

Hope everyone is drying out.......

T.

o

T-as I look at my card to you it looks too dark-not cheery like my thoughts for your day were: )...then again that's all we have here...dark days...hopefully "Here comes the Sun" will be running through our heads in a couple days. How's Mt. St. Helens doing lately? I'd bet your animals do know something's up. Keep us posted.

You guys really are the best-thanks for sharing in the excitement of Chris' accomplishment-it's really like we're in a dream. It seemed like it would never be over for real! He really appreciates your congrats to him(his head seems to have grown a few sizes with all the notice of him lol). It was SO funny when we returned from the defense,Ryan was ecstatic that Chris passed and he exclaimed how great it is that "Daddy will save so many lives now"(it was priceless to hear him say that-I suppose he'll save graduate students' 'lives' lol!). We keep trying to explain he's not a medical Dr. but he doesn't get it yet: ) Chris slept for much of yesterday-well deserved,and he goes back to work today then off again tomorrow so he can use up extra vacation days. He'll hold the fort down while I take Ryan to the eye Dr. tomorrow.
Actually one of the reasons I came to GW was that I had lots of free time while Chris plugged away at the dissertation...I can't imagine not idylling now.

Deanne I am awed by the severity of the flooding you've got there-your pics really put it into perspective-just unreal.The poor nursery! Neat that they have a sense of humor with their sign.

Suzy-while I haven't gone through what you are I imagine it must be not only a shock but so disappointing. I will be a mess when my kids leave. It's probably a mixed thing-happy for them becoming successful adults yet sad because you love them and enjoy them....lol then I've got Ryan who assures me he'll never get married and never leave home and he gets tearful when anyone tells him he's getting so grown up...my little Peter Pan.
I think I would get myself involved in things to distract me-volunteering or taking classes...I bet when my kids leave I will be gardening to the gills(it's such a great diversion; ). Suzy I hope you find a way to work through this time...you can idyll-we'll cheer you up!

Gorgeous cards from EVERYBODY!

Marian what are you going to cook us on your new range?? How fun to get a new stove!

Michelle-Kenzie is so big these days!! She really resembles you(stunning like her grandma: )

Eden that hanging basket is huge! I like the color comnbos you pick.

Drema-have you heard anything more about your job?
I read about pokeweed(Skip's favorite plant: )and they say it's poisonous for humans except if you use the berries in spring and cook them for a long time....now Skip can make you a pokeberry pie lol.

Mary it turns out we do have ramps here in Bedford. Our news paper did a story on edibles in the woods.

I don't mean to skip out but I need to get on with the day and finish matting artwork; two days til the deadline.

Laytah,
~BAbs

o

Well, we're finally seeing the sun here today after at least a week of cloudy and/or rainy days. I guess we get a two day reprieve then more rain on Friday. My gardens actually look great from the rain-lush and green. I finally just said "screw it" and ordered a truckload of compost to be delivered Friday afternoon-7 yards ought to keep me busy for a day or two. The plan is to use it instead of mulch on the older gardens. The soil isn't the greatest in some of those areas so this should give them a boost. When the compost is gone I need a truckload of cheap mulch for the reclamation area.

Tomorrow night is the latest mini idyllunion. Deanne, Monique, Les, Tom and I are having dinner at the Pond House Cafe in Elizabeth Park (our local Rose and public garden) then all but Tom are heading over the the monthly CT Hort Society meeting to listen to Tony Avent, the speaker this month. Deanne is planning to stay overnight for some nursery crawling on Friday. Any other local idyllers who want to join us, let Monique or I know. Speaking of Monique...what is that lilac in your picture? I keep thinking I need to add one somewhere but they just don't seem to have much garden interest beyond a couple of weeks of flowers in May and in my small space plants need to provide more than that.

Maybe it's the weather but I'm having trouble getting motivated to plant my containers. Hopefully I'll get some inspiration soon.

OK, time to get to work. I have to go to a bank sponsored luncheon at a local country club at 11:30 so the day will be short enough as it is.

Carry on,

Sue

o

T- I didnt see your post re your birthday before I sent my little photo & Im sorry it can be a sad memory but its good you are able to learn to enjoy the day again good for you. I personally am not so fond of my birthday either but for no big, horrible reason such as yours I tend to reflect too much about friends, state in life, etc. too much thinking! We all need to learn to enjoy the days were given just as you say and enjoy the flowers along the way!! All in all, I think you have gotten the most beautiful lot of birthday "cards" they are all so gorgeous dont you wish we could actually send you the actual plants?!! Now, theres an idea it would fill your new beds in no time for Spring time color.

Babs many congrats again to you and Dr. Chris ("saving lives now" the creative thinking kids come up with, such a wonder) what a relief and what an accomplishment after long hard work what will you guys do with all the free time now, LOL?

I am in love with these iris everyones posted recently Michelle, where did you find that Blue Denim? and Deanne that ruby one of yours is it by any chance a pumila Cherry Garden? It looks similar to one I saw in a Lauren Springer book thats named that & Im really preferring the small dwarfs/ & pumilas that seem to have fewer problems. If you dont get Thalictrum Black Stocking somewhere, Ill be happy to give you some seedlings that crop up from it (like other Thalictrums) & give you some in the fall if I find any.

Suzy if you like dogs, I heartily endorse Teresas suggestion they are such a comfort and forever unconditional love they might feel a lonely spot for you.

Barb that was a Cruel birthday Card to T!!! LOL.....

Marian congrats on the new range youll much appreciate that after working with the toaster oven so long dont know how you "improvised" so well and so long what a lot of fortitude!!

We expect sun and then showers this p.m. but as Honey says, it seems to be making for Gardens on Steroids so Im not complaining altho I see a bit of the beginnings of black spot on the roses (but that was inevitable in this area).

You NE Idyllers -- any excuse for a reunion and nursery hopping, uh? Have a great time and hope you "score".

--Cindy

o

Wed, May 17, 06 at 12:01

Hidylls my dear Idylls!
Wow, wow, wow I LOVE birthdays around here! The past few weeks have been nuts so Ive barely skimmed the text, but have been drinking up all the wonderful photos youve all been posting. Enjoyed all the colourful spring lovelies, including Sue with the hue, lol! The mini-Idyll-union at Marys looked like a lot of fun, wish I was there. Oh and congratulations to Doctor Chris!!! Babs you must be so proud and so relieved! What a lot of hard work, finally coming to fruition...

So, heres whats been going on in my corner of the world. Re house: Friday we had a couple come through who adored the house. They phoned on Saturday to say that if they can finance carrying two homes until theirs is ready to sell, they will be putting in an offer. They are checking into that this week. Then Saturday we finally got the reporter here to take pics and notes on our home. Next Friday (26th) it will be the feature home in the Homes section that comes out once a week, with a full size colour pic on front, big write up and 3-4 more photos inside. I got along famously with the reporter, who was here over two hours. He told me he had always admired this house from outside and was thrilled to feature it. Got the history of the house and also the names of some of my shrubs and rarer perennials. We are marketing the heated greenhouse as "easily converted to a private hot tub room" for the non-gardening crowd, lol! He said our house was as stunning on the inside (actually he used "magnificent") as it looked from the outside and was sure it would sell soon after the article ran. He suggested we have an open house two days later, Sunday the 28th, and told me to expect 50-60 couples through, many from out of town. Our agent will be here and I will be his "assistant" for the day, not the owner, lol! Im printing up new feature sheets, which on the back will have all our updates/taxes/utilities and another sheet with local schools, parks, shopping and attractions on nice glossy paper for the event. The Homes section runs not just in the Cambridge Times but also in the Kitchener Record, so Im guessing over 300,000 people will see it, so if this doesnt sell our house, nothing will!

Im psyched, have rearranged furniture, packed up knick-knacks and am doing a major declutter (yup, size 6 jeans have to go!) to make closets look more spacious. (Note to self, who are you kidding, size 8s, 10s, and 12s have to go too! When these frigging hormones are rebalanced and I drop the weight I will treat myself to some new clothes then. ) Okay where was I? Oh yes, reorganizing and decluttering. We are also going to put up the pool and free up more space in the garage. The backyard still will have tons of room, and it makes it look like a kid-friendly yard. Plus if we go 60-90 days that is the hottest part of the summer when the boys live in the pool. Am going to plunk some annuals in the bare spots for colour and of course everything will be weeded and mulched. My greenhouse gains a pot of two of something that has to go with me each week, lol! There are still many, many plants in the garden though, probably many more than most people would want. If we do get a non-gardener as a buyer maybe I can help them get ready to sod by doing some more digging, lol.

Kids are doing great, skateboarding a lot and singing too! Shane and 450 other young boys are girls performed to a packed house at the Centre in the Square on May 3rd. Poor guy was fighting a major cold coming on, but after 4 months of practicing was not going to miss his big night. So I dosed him up with cold meds and he was a trooper. My Mum came out for the event and we took him out to dinner first. Unfortunately they forbid us to take any recording equipment/cameras into the show, but here he is enjoying his dessert, and with proud Mama at the venue, after the show:

As usual I got carried away by the sound of so many sweet, pure, innocent voices and blubbered my way through much of it. Especially the finale:

We Rise Again (Rankin Family)

When the waves roll on over the waters
And the ocean cries
We look to our sons and daughters
To explain our lives
As if a child could tell us why

That as sure as the sunrise
As sure as the sea
As sure as the wind in the trees
We rise again in the faces
of our children
We rise again in the voices of our song
We rise again in the waves out on the ocean
And then we rise again

When the light goes dark with the forces of creation
Across a stormy sky
We look to reincarnation to explain our lives
As if a child could tell us why

That as sure as the sunrise
As sure as the sea
As sure as the wind in the trees
of our children
And then we rise again

of our children
And then we rise

Glenn & I celebrated 15 years of wedded bliss (well, togetherness anyway, lol) on May 4th. He bought me flowers and a very sweet and thoughtful card. Things have smoothed out for us I think.

Two weeks ago we found out that Glenns Dad has colon cancer, and he went for surgery last Wednesday. The great news is that it was a very tiny spot, the doctor thinks she got it all, and no chemo or radiation will be necessary. Dad is amazing the doctors with his recovery, he was released Monday, is back to a full diet and will be going up to open his cottage this weekend! He still cant lift anything heavy so my BIL is going up with him to turn on the water and put the dock in, etc, but things are looking very good for him.

Not so good for Bruce though. The MRI showed a golf-ball sized new tumour on the other side of his brain, and numerous other smaller ones developing, since his last MRI when they took him off the chemo in January. The large one is pressing on the part of the brain that controls the right side of his body, so its as if hes had a stroke, cant move or feel that side. But he is completely lucid and is in remarkably good spirits, flirting with the nurses, joking around. He has started smoking again, which is a drag (pun intended) because he cant get out of the hospital for one unless a friend takes him, so is craving a lot of the time. But he says if hes dying, hes dying with a smile on his face, and I guess at this point there is no point in denying him one of his only pleasures. He's as stubborn as ever, and it's gotten him this far. :) There are no options any more, his liver cant take more chemo and there are too many tumours to operate on, so I guess hes in the final stretch. The only good thing about his condition is that there is no pain with brain cancer, at least not unless pressure forms at some future point. They had told him in the beginning that no one had ever survived this particular type of cancer past about two years, and hes there May 29th. 3-6 months they say, but I'm thinking it won't be that long. Im going to help him do a video, or maybe write letters if the former is too hard for him, for Gigi and the kids. That will be very difficult, and Im not looking forward to it, but I offered. It is all I CAN offer him now, plus my assurance that Ill always be there for Gigi and the kids. And it will give him a chance to say the things he wants to say while he can still say them.

Gigi is stressed but coping okay. I spent Saturday night at her place, and convinced her that the past two years, though difficult, and though they didnt cure Bruce, have still been very worthwhile. She has learned to slow down and smell the roses, take things one day at a time, and that you cant plan or control everything, and in some ways shes finding that a big relief. She CANT control this, so the responsibility is not hers to try, and shes going with the flow more. But of course these two years have been REALLY important for the kids, especially little Reid, who was only three when Bruce first got sick, to make lots of memories with their Dad. And the treatments gave Bruce the time and the quality of life, up until now, to do that. He went camping with them, skiing and skating, tobogganing, Christmas caroling, carved pumpkins, cheered them on at tee-ball, soccer and hockey games. He took up singing with the Church choir, took guitar lessons. He got the chance to show his wife and kids, his family, his friends, that attitude is everything, and that you fight the good fight. This has been very hard, but weve all learned and grown from it and well all get through what's ahead together. Yesterday I mentioned a party to Gigi, which she agreed to right away, but then had to go for a soccer game, so couldnt discuss. One hell of party for Bruce, a celebrate life while your still living party. I know hed love it, and the plan is for him to be home for weekends so we can make it happen. Well Ive got to run, have said enough for now. Hi to all, and dont worry if Im not around, just need to keep my priorities straight right now. Miss yall.

Taryn

This one goes out to my buddy Bruce:

Live Like You Were Dying (Tim McGraw)

He said I was in my early forties
with a lot of life before me
when a moment came that stopped me on a dime
and I spent most of the next days
looking at the x-rays
Talking bout the options
and talking bout sweet time
I asked him when it sank in
that this might really be the real end
how's it hit you when you get that kinda news
man what'd you do

and he said
I went sky diving
I went Rocky Mountain climbing
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named FuManchu
and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying
and he said someday I hope you get the chance
to live like you were dying.

He said I was finally the husband
that most the time I wasn't
and I became a friend a friend would like to have
and all the sudden going fishin
wasn't such an imposition
and I went three times that year I lost my dad
well I finally read the good book
and I took a good long hard look
at what I'd do if I could do it all again

and then
I went sky diving
and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying

Like tomorrow was a gift and you got eternity to think about
what'd you do with it what did you do with it
what did I do with it
what would I do with it'

Sky diving
and then I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
and I watched an eagle as it was flying
To live like you were dying

o

Congratulations to Dr. Chris and the woman behind him who helped make it possible!

Michelle, Id love some of that Iris if you can spare a fan. Thank you so much! And Im thrilled that well be able to meet you at IU3!

(((((Suz))))). Yep, its hard (and very quiet in the house) when they spread their wings and fly. Know tho, that you did a really good job to prepare them and instill enough confidence in them that they can fly on their own. Dont worry, youll still be Mom. The relationship just evolves.

Yeah, Marian has a new range! Fron the sound of the woes with your last one, you probably will have to be careful not to burn stuff on the new range! I bet youll be baking and roasting tons of stuff next week.

Oh, Deanne, please identify THAT iris! Gorgeous! Ive been watching the news of all the flooding out there. How awful for everyone affected. I think water damage is the worst! Theres the initial damage and b/c of the wicking, more damage from mold down the road. How did your basement fare thru it all? No damage I hope.

Well, its not raining and the lake out front is beginning to dry out some. Im hoping the deck will dry out enough today that our deck stain guy can come tonite to stain it so we can get some Spring work done here Were supposed to get rain again tomorrow.

Im going to work on my containers today to start to unload some of the stuff from the garage. We are supposed to participate in the subdivision garage sale this weekend so I have to get crackin. I need to get more container mix first tho.

I hope the weatherman is wrong and were done with rain for awhile. Hi to all!

TTYL,
Honey

o

Happy Birthday T!

I'm glad you figured out why birthdays are hard for you. It's a big part of the battle. Now you can make fabulous new memories.

Congratulations to Dr Chris and Babs. I'm so happy for both of you.

Waving hi to everyone as I hurry back to the mountains of paperwork.

Yeona

o
Just refreshed

((((((((Taryn)))))))) I saw your note about Bruce after I posted. I'm so sorry he is reaching the end of his fight. My heart goes out to him and his loved ones, including you. These last two years sound like such a precious gift for him and his family. I'm sure the memories of all he's done with his family will in time give them comfort and smiles when he's gone. I'm so glad Bruce has a sense of humour and can smile through it all. I really admire that kind of an attitude. I'm afraid I tend to be a little bit too whiny and not good humoured enough when confronted with the little bothers. I'd probably fail dismally at being good humoured when faced with a biggie like Bruce is. I know one thing, I'd feel durn lucky if I had a friend like you by my side when faced with something like this. I know it's been said here before, but you are the epitome of a good friend. I'm sure that Gigi will need you more than ever, just as I'm sure you'll be there.

Yeona

o

Good morning all,

Well the sun is shining here and we only had about a quarter of inch last night with the squall lines that came through here. We are supposed to have another inch of rain or so tonight and tomorrow with thunder storms that are supposed to be coming through. But, the Nashua River is now down below flood stage and the Merrimack River is only a foot above flood stage south of Nashua and is just below flood stage here at Nashua. People in many areas are able to get home and start cleaning up. Lowell, Lawrence and Haverhill MA (on the Merrimack River) still have areas under water but the waters should be receding and out of there in the next couple days. Ive only heard of a couple fatalities associated with the flooding. Some fellow decided to go canoeing and apparently capsized and another tried to drive down a flooded road and it was a lot deeper than he thought it was.

Taryn, Wow, it really sounds like you are making some headway on the house sale and Im crossing my fingers it all works out. You sound really focused and positive. LOL about the size 6 jeans. ~~ Love the pic of you and Shane. He looks so much like you! ~~So sorry to hear your news about Bruce. Know you all are in my thoughts.

Yeona, glad to hear from you. Busy is good isnt it? That means there is plenty of work. I miss your great posts though. I hope you can pop in from time to time to let us know how you are doing.

Honey, so sorry but I dont know what that iris is. Again, like the blue ones, that deep purple one came from a friend of mine with no ID. When that clump gets big enough Ill divide it and send you some. It really is a must have plant. ~~ Glad to hear your lake is starting to dry out a bit. How did Ruth make out with the rains. I hope she didnt have any water in her home or gardens.

Cindy, I love that little iris also and as I told Honey, I dont know the name because it was a gift from a friend. I can send you a piece of that as well when I dig and divide. Just email me your address if youd like a piece of it. ~~ Thanks for the offer with the Thalictrums, I already have a couple largish patches of them so have plenty but I will be looking for a spot to plant that Black Stocking.

Babs are you having a celebration for Dr. Chris this weekend????

Marian, congratulations on the new range. What wonderful things are you cooking???

Suzy, lots of hugs for you. I know Id be pretty sad if my DD moved that far away.

So the bad news is that I am not going to be able to go to CT tonight for dinner or lecture and no plant shopping for me tomorrow. Bummer, bummer, bummer! One too many things on my plate that kept popping up one after the other and I finally decided that there is really no way to successfully push on a rope and that is what it felt like trying to arrange to be gone overnight tonight.

Im currently in the process of trying to save my coleus. I thought they were fine because the temps didnt get too cold but apparently they dont like 50 degree temps with 11 inches of rain and at least half of my plants are going to bite the dust including the ones from my Rosy Dawn order. Grrrrr.. Ive never lost a coleus before and I think Im not going to ever try to get them out before June in the future. A big disappointment but in the scheme of things nothing to complain about if that is all the problem Im facing from the rain and flooding.

Eden, I DEFINITELY need to get myself one of those greenhouses. That would have prevented this.

OK Ive got to get to the gym and get some seminar information out to a few customers today. Take care all,
Deanne

o

Happy Anniversary Babs & Dr. Chris!

o

Happy Anniversary to Dr. Chris and Babs. What a lot you have to celebrate.

Taryn, I'm so very sorry to hear that Bruce's battle is nearing the end. I'm sure these last 2 years have been a blessing, but we are never ready to let go are we? Prayers and thoughts to all. I am hoping all goes well in the house business.

Deanne, thats terrible about your coleus. I have lost a few and have a few others that look a little sad. I guess we must learn patience or get a greenhouse. LOL

Yeona, how great to hear from you. I have been wondering where you have been lately.

Honey, email me your address and I'll send you the Blue Denim. I also have one (unnamed) similar to Deanne's that is a red violet color. I could send some of that along too.

Cindy, I could send you some Blue Denim and the red violet one that I mentioned to Honey. Email me your address and when I get them divided I'll send them. I really love the short iris. I like the early bloom time and they are nice front of the border plants.

I had yesterday off and went for my massage in the a.m. and then went with Laura and Kenzie to Hey, Good Cookie. A coffee shop/bakery type place. You should have seen Kenzie with her nose pressed to the glass case of cookies. She wanted one with M&M's and only ate the M&M's LOL We also went and looked at shrubs for some foundation plantings around their new house. She wants some perennials also but wants low maintenance. I have plenty to give them in that dept. I also worked on my brick in the veggie garden. I'm getting there. All in all it was a nice day off.

Michelle

o

Thu, May 18, 06 at 15:09

Guys, please carry on chatting as usual! I waited until we were nearing the end of this thread to post, didn't mean it be a downer. You have all been so supportive throughout this entire situation with Bruce and Gigi I felt I owed you an honest update, but Deanne is right, I'm actually quite positive, and would love to (time allowing) drop in to hear the day to day activities going on in your corner of the world. And always make time for pics! So please, keep on postin'!

Deanne I'm so sorry about the flooding in your area. Forgot to mention that yesterday~~your pics were pretty sobering. Glad there weren't many injuries or much loss of life, but imagine the financial repercussions will affect many. I remember the 8" in one day we got last July 16th very well--$1500 later to fix a BRAND NEW furnace was our biggest loss, but many individuals with full basements and shop keepers down near the river lost much, much more. Hope it's over for good and things get back to normal soon.

Yeona, nice to hear from you, and thank you! Would much rather have the test of our friendship be "was always there to babysit" or "never forgot my birthday" but I guess this is a biggie, and I see some of who I thought were close friends pulling back. It's awkward for some to deal with I guess, but I sure would hope my friends would be around if the situation were reversed. I know Gigi would be.

Happy anniversary Babs and Dr. Chris! Did you do anything special? I was happy with flowers and a card, and Glenn was on nights so dinner wouldn't have worked anyway. But you guys have double to celebrate, so hope you have a great celebration planned...

Michelle, you're right, you're never quite ready for something like this, and in some ways being hit by a truck would have been preferable. But then I think about the time with the kids and know it wouldn't have been better. They barely would have remembered Bruce, especially the 3 year old. A massage sounds great right about now...BTW, did you ever get your seeds from me? Mary's never arrived, and they were all sent together. Babs and Ei got there's before Easter, so please let me know. There was a new girl at the post office putting too little postage on some things for a day or two, and while those envelopes should have come back to me, that doesn't always work that way.

A dilemma in the house selling saga I'd like your thoughts and advice on please. The couple who were checking financing left a message an hour ago saying they want to meet with us to put in an offer! While that is FANTASTIC, we have committed to being the featured home on the 26th and need to have a house for sale (not sold) when that comes out! I sure don't want to put off this couple, but we can't be "sold" already and not accepting offers, plus it could be really to our benefit if we have several competing offers after this big media hype. What should we say to them? They were well aware that this article was in the making when they saw the house last Friday, and I had emailed them that it went very well last Saturday. I'm thinking we should just tell them what I've stated above, we are committed to being the featured home and won't be able to respond to any offers until after the open house on the 28th? But we are very excited and very much looking forward to their offer and can we arrange to meet for that late next week? Respond to it the following week? Our agent seemd to agree with this, but I sure don't want to scare them off. Will talk to Glenn this evening then phone the couple back. Geez, either feast or famine isn't it??? Suggestions and comments VERY SOON much appreciated, either here or email me....

Thanks guys, and please, carry on Idylls!

Taryn

o

Taryn, I did get your seeds. RE: the house, I have only sold 1 house in my day, so I am no expert. I think it sounds like a good plan. They probably are quite interested and want to quick get an offer in before the feature comes out.

Michelle

o

Thu, May 18, 06 at 17:13

Thanks Michelle, and glad you got the seeds. By some fluke of the post office Mary emailed that hers arrived TODAY, over a month late! Said nothing indicated it was short postage or held by customs, so don't know what the USPS was up to.

Re the offer, I emailed some friends as well and have had mixed responses from them and Idyllers, but so far Mary, Woody, Jain and another friend have said "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", (funny all the idyllers used that exact quote!). "Take the money and run" and "Don't kick a gift horse in the mouth" also came up...

But another friend, whom I respect a lot, said, "If your Burlington couple is REALLY that interested then they can wait until after the article runs and AFTER the weekend open house. REMEMBER - you are in the driver's seat here. If they want it, they will do whatever it takes to make it happen). Give them the dates of the open house and tell them you will be "in a position" to accept any offers after that. It will also be great for your agent to be able to tell people coming through at the open house that an offer is being put on the Monday (or whatever day that next week). It's human nature for people to want something more if they think someone else wants it too!!!!"

Just checked my horoscope (Capricorn) and WOW it is right on! Glenn's (Virgo) doesn't relate at all. I'm putting the link below~~are they this accurate for anyone else??

"Everything is right in front of you, waiting for you to just reach out and grab it. The impulsive, cocky side of you says you should go for it and all will be fine. But the cautious, humble side of you is telling you to stop for a moment to review the situation. Listen to your cautious side today and don't get caught up in the moment. Map out your plan of action -- things will go smoothly when you're prepared, so be patient. Those golden opportunities aren't going anywhere."

I'm still very torn. Glenn should be home soon. Please keep the comments coming, much appreciated...

Taryn

Here is a link that might be useful: Horoscope

o

Taryn - my experience comes from being in a wicked sellers market. Sounds like you are in a buyers market. I would tell the couple that we will look at offers on "x" day after your open this weekend. Reassure them that you are serious sellers willing to negotiate but that the timing is such that you have to follow through with this open and will be receiving offers on a certain day.

Best of luck!
Barb

o

Good evening all!

Glad to finally see the sun around here! Life sure gets in the way of gardening this time of year. We have a wedding in Maine on Saturday at 12 noon, and we are staying overnight up there. I should be able to sneak out to a local plant sale Saturday AM before I have to get cleaned up and on the road. Hopefully we'll get back early enough on Sunday to have some quality garden time; and the mulch pile should be a little drier by then!

T, I hope you truly enjoyed your birthday this year now that you know why you you dreaded the day. My mother's brother passed away on my grandparent's wedding anniversary when my mother was just a teenager; my grandparents never celebrated their anniversary after that, and my parents don't celebrate theirs either.

Babs, congratulations to Dr. Chris! What wonderful news. Hope he can save lots of lives, LOL!!

Taryn, you and Bruce and your families are in my thoughts. I'm glad you have such a positive attitude about his illness. The lyrics to that Tim McGraw song brought tears to my eyes, such truth there. We spend so much time rushing around trying to "fit it all in" that we often don't pause to think about what is really important in life. On another note re: the house - when we put in the offer on our house, an open house was already scheduled and the realtors held it anyway, even though our offer was accepted. They told everyone that there was an offer in the works, and if they put in an offer they would be considered "back-up offers". I don't remember if we had signed the purchase and sale agreement yet at that point.

Deanne, so sad about your coleus. They definitely don't like temps below 50 degrees, and the rain was probably too much. Mine are OK, they weathered the storm in the cold frame. If you want cuttings from any of those that you gave to me, you are more than welcome. I haven't really planned my containers yet, you could even have some of the plants back if you want! If there are any special varieties that you are looking for, let me know - I'll keep my eyes open when I go shopping for annuals. DH promised to take me to Newbury Perennials on the way back from the wedding, they often have some unusual stuff there.

Well, time to get off the computer and help DD study for her math test.

-Wendy

o

Good Evening Idylls!

(((Dear Taryn)))...you didnt bum me out or chase me away! We just had a minor crisis here at home, but things have quieted down, so I thought I would catch up with the Idylls.
Of course its so sad to know that Bruce is coming to the end of his journey and I feel so badly for Gigi and his children. Im glad they have had these last few years to make memories and to be together...memories they will carry with them always. Its really hard to even imagine how they will get through this; how anyone gets through this. One thing I do know is that they have been blessed to have you in their lives. You have been a true friend and an exceptional, strong, loving, and generous soul. I couldnt say it any better than Yeona "you are the epitome of a good friend. I'm sure that Gigi will need you more than ever, just as I'm sure you'll be there."

I really loved your songs Taryn, especially the one about Living Like You Are Dying. It made me think of a quote I keep on my computer called "In This Moment." Every time I read that quote it puts pictures in my head and so I wanted to share them with you. I hope that anyone who reads this wont see it as a sad thing, because it is not sad at all to me....its a reminder of my blessings and gets me centered when I feel askew. This has been a hard year for me, but honestly, I *do* know how lucky and blessed I have been! I have lived a charmed life and I need to remind myself of that sometimes. The words of this quote always hit home and Im going to post it here because its filled with the pics in my head. I hope when you read the words that it fills your head too, with all the many blessings and special moments in your life. I dont want to take up space on the new post, so Im posting it here:

In This Moment
Author Unknown

We convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another.

Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough and we'll be more content when they are...

After that we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage

We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, are able to go on a nice vacation, when we retire.

The truth is, there's no better time to be happy than right now.

If not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway.

One of my favorite quotes comes from Alfred D Souza. He said, "For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles *were* my life".

This perspective has helped me to see that there is no way to happiness. Happiness *is* the way. So, treasure every moment that you have. And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special. Special enough to spend your time

...and remember...

time waits for no one...

So stop waiting until you finish school, until you go back to school, until you lose ten pounds, until you gain ten pounds, until you have kids, until your kids leave the house, until you start work, until you retire, until you get married, until you get divorced, until Friday night, until Sunday morning, until you get a new car or home, until your car or home is paid off

Until Spring...

Until Summer...

Until Fall...

Until Winter...

until you are off welfare, until the first or fifteenth, until your song comes on, until you've had a drink, until you've sobered up, until you die, until you are born again to decide that there is no better time than right now to be happy...

Happiness is a journey...not a destination...

So, dance as if no one were watching...

Sing as if no one were listening...

And live every day as if it were your last...

o

Beautiful Ei.

o

Ah Ei, you've outdone yourself. What a touching tribute to life in general.

Wendy, my friend at work who lost his daughter to cancer last May lost her on his wedding anniversary too. I believe they are picking another date for the anniversary and choosing to celebrate then.

Sue

o

TGIF!

Well I have the day off and it's raining here again. Oh well, that won't keep me out of the nurseries.

Last night Monique, Les, Tom and I had a delicious dinner at the Pond House Cafe. The weather was gorgeous so we were able to eat outside on the patio. After dinner Monique, Les and I went to the CHS meeting to hear Tony Avent speak. As you might imagine if you've seen the Plant Delights catalog, he's an entertaining character. I now have a list of new plants on my "must have" list.

Gotta run but I just wanted to offer my non professional opinion to Taryn. Most real estate people will tell you that an open house doesn't usually generate offers. Your house has been on the market for quite some time. My guess is any serious buyers are working with agents and are familiar with the inventory in their market and are already aware of your house-especially if it's been listed in MLS. You may want to stall the couple who are currently interested but be careful that you don't lose them because you may not end up with a handful of multiple offers after the open date. Just my opinion.

Later folks!!

Sue

o

Oh my, Eileen!!!! Thank you my friend for this beautiful, beautiful reminder. It is so easy to get lost in our various troubles and forget what is really and truly important.

Deanne

o
Ooops!

Sorry, I posted this on the wrong idyll...

o

No one can be more eloquent than that, Ei. You re indeed a wise photo-philosopher if I may attempt to coin a phrase for your monologue.

Taryn, you are a wonderful wonderful friend -- one most of us would cherish to have in our lives - not a "downer" -- it is nice to know you're willing to share your sadness with idyllers and cyber-space -- no worries.

Happy Friday everyone -- may we all enjoy our day today and every day.

--Cindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here