Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria run wild - Celtic Dream Garden

Posted by woodyoak 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 21:11

Do you remember the post I did last summer when we visited an interesting small garden called Celtic Dream in the Niaraga area? I noticed at the time that there were wisteria vines in a lot of places. Yesterday I remembered that and we called down to see if the wisteria was in bloom and arranged to visit. On various GW forums I've seen a lot of people from warmer areas talking about how rampant the wisteria can be. Since the Niagara area where this garden is located is a bit warmer than here, I thought it might give me a better understanding of why wisteria can be so reviled :-) The wisteria was certainly vigorous there and well tangled in the trees and shrubs, but hadn't seemed to have killed anything. The owner said the wisterias were about 20+ years old. In several places the vines and their suckers had been woven together to make walls around rustic benches. Unfortunately Randy didn't get any pictures of that for me. Here are some of the pictures he did take...

Most of the wisterias were unidentified. This one looks a bit like ours, except much, much larger!
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

This stretch ran about 30' or so:

I'm pretty sure these ones were American wisteria - definitely a 'musk' scent!

The vine on this pergola was identified as 'Lawrence', which is the Japanese one I have that hasn't bloomed yet and is being trained as a tree. It sure looks like we've got our work cut out for us to keep it pruned to small tree size!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria run wild - Celtic Dream Garden

And to think it doesn't grow here!.....

o

Wisterias do get gigantic here Woody, and this is the only reason I have avoided them..There are many in my neighborhood that I can enjoy from afar, one even re-blooms.

Kathy in Napa

o

Kathy - most of the Chinese ones do rebloom - but the second bloom is more sporadic than the first spectacular show. Mine reblooms in July, which is nice to have. I'm hoping the clematises that have been growing into it might put on a good show this year.

I can see why one would be concerned with a wisteria run ranmpant on a smaller property but if you had the acres of open space that Celtic Dream has, the wisteria, while rampant, was very nice. There was a lot of big shrubs and bushy trees (viburnums and willows and I'm not sure what else) that provided the main climbing frames for the wisterias. Those shrubs/small trees didn't seem to be bothered by the wisteria, perhaps because it would be harder for the wisteria to strangle a multi-stemmed tree than it would a single-trunked one. So I think it's another case of right plant; right place.

gb - appaently some of the American or Kentucky wisterias should grow in your area - but 'musk' is not a nice fragrance! 'Lawrence' is supposed to be the hardiest Japanese wisteria and would be worth trying in a sheltered spot. It was originally found growing near Ottawa and that area is at least as cold, if not colder, than your area.

o

The first shot is fabulous!

o

Great', woody - despite no color coordinated clothing by you or Randy, LOL... pretty, pretty!

-cindy

o

So beautiful! Must have smelled wonderful there.

Deanne

o

Deanne - it smelled wonderful near the Chinese and Japanese ones; not so much around the American/Kentucky ones unfortunately. 'Musk' is definitely less pleasant than spicy-sweet!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here