Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

May Trip to the Coast-Pics

dodgerdudette
13 years ago

Took lots of pics , so a separate thread seemed appropriate.

The parking lot at Mendo Coast Botanical Gardens has some great combos
{{gwi:159916}}From Mendocino May 2010

Neglected to write down the name of this Hellebore

..anyone know? --I love the foliage
{{gwi:159917}}From Mendocino May 2010

This combo really caught my eye.
{{gwi:159918}}From Mendocino May 2010

Just outside my room at the inn -thought of Woody !
{{gwi:159919}}From Mendocino May 2010

More from the gardens at the inn.
{{gwi:159920}}From Mendocino May 2010
{{gwi:159921}}From Mendocino May 2010

In the Village of Mendocino
{{gwi:159922}}From Mendocino May 2010
{{gwi:159923}}From Mendocino May 2010
{{gwi:159924}}From Mendocino May 2010
{{gwi:159925}}From Mendocino May 2010
{{gwi:159927}}From Mendocino May 2010

Kathy in Napa

Comments (13)

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Love the Anthriscus sylvestris 'Ravenswing' combo too! Very striking and rich.

(I just hate that it is invasive for me, even growing in the compost. Sigh.)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Interesting that wisteria blooms at the same time in quite differennt climates! Daylight/daylength must be more important than temperatures...

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Ooolala! The third to the last picture is my favorite. It looks like a lovely area to visit.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woody, the Wisterias are long gone here in the Napa Valley, and the Inn I stayed at on the coast is a 3 hour drive west and a tad north. This is a frost free area , but it is also 'warmth free' the average temp being 60 degrees. Temps above the mid 70's are rare . Winters are gray , wet and dark. Maybe the lack of sun translates to day length ?

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Beautiful pictures...thank you for sharing. I'm starting to get excited about my trip to the left coast.

Saucy

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

And the count down on days to IU is what???? I cannot wait to see if this all really exists!

So lush and near the ocean too -- and your photographer eye has gotten wonderful, too, Kathy!

-cindy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

1 month, 3 days !

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Wonderful, wondferful pics Kathy! just love all of them. What is the plant in the third photo? beautiful. It's always so fun to see pics from your neck of the woods because there is always a lot I don't recognize. many thanks for sharing and taking the time to post this.

Deanne

• deanneart
    13 years ago

I think that plant you were asking about is Hellebore Ivory Prince

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Deanne, that's the Anthriscus sylvestris 'Ravenswing'. It spreads MADLY here. I sure love that grass with it!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bug, I planted A. Ravenswing last year and have seen some seeding around-keeping my eyes on it ! I would hate it if I had to discontinue it ! Also think the sedge in this grouping
    is Carex testcea 'Orange Sedge' but I wouldn't swear to it in court of law.Unbelievably I only took one pic of this combo, a failing that will be rectified next month.
    Thanks for the ID Deanne..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I have it growing in my compost Kathy...and had to resort to spraying it. I think I let loose a monster, a very beautiful monster. If you cut off the fading blooms soon enough, that should help control it. Just dispose of the seeds somewhere safe.

Off to check on the carex. ;)

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Boo Hoo, not for my area except as an annual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Sedge