#480 ..Every Gardener is a Millionaire in Spring

dodgerdudette
13 years ago

Carry on Idylls..

Comments (107)

• denisez10
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What is going on with the wildlife sightings on the idylls this spring? It's like the X-Files (we've been watching reruns.) I hear armadillos are heading northward but kangaroos? And the wild temp fluctuations seem very unusual too.

Beautiful trellis, Deanne. And the neat edgings, wow!

Saucy, what a great plant sale. You deserve a day of puttering.

Michelle, what a little garden buddy Kenzie is turning into. I know everything's upside down at the moment, but the up side is you're seeing more of her...and then we get to hear more about her too. What a charmer she is.

We've stepped up in price to Benny Moore this time too, but Chelone's experience isn't reassuring. Last time we used Dunn Edwards, also supposedly reputable paint, and not cheap. Everyone keeps asking, Didn't you just paint your house? Just doesn't last anymore. We did a paint color test today, and 2 out of 4 colors may be keepers.

Julie, I can't imagine having to keep fresh paint on a Victorian.

The gardens are all looking lush. We've been having loads of wind here too, but temps are still mild.

Waving to all.

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Kangaroo!...I understand completely, 'bug.

First, did he see the really long tail? That's critical for balance, I think. Second, are there any residents of your town that are rumored to keep exotic pets? Any educational or entertainment special events going on in your vicinity that feature animals?

I'm sure you've googled images for jack rabbits. No time to Idyll now, just came in for a quick read so tell DH until otherwise proven wrong, I believe he saw a kangaroo. I mean...how could I (of all people) NOT?

Back later!

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Perhaps a wallaby? Jack rabbit seems like the obvious choice if it had no tail (as Candy pointed out).

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Ive been chased indoors by the wind. Seriously its 93 and winds 30-45 mph. Its downright ugly. Hopefully, the weatherman is correct and it dies down tomorrow and maybe we will get some rain out of this. Things dry out fast in these conditions. I tried to run the sprinkler but its too hard to control the direction of the water because of the wind. Ive got so much Id like to do. Im glad Im not having a garden tour like Deanne Id be crazed.

Of course my one tree peony opened most of its buds today. They wont be as pristine as they should be but they are still quite lovely. This is the most blooms Ive had yet from it.

Deanne, in your own words fabu, fabu!!!

bug, Im sure your MG friend will be impressed with this years garden. I sure am!

I guess Id better venture out. One of the finch feeders has broken the thin wire I use to keep them from blowing in the wind and is hitting the window. Im sure the finches are getting a bit nauseous trying to eat with all that swinging going on. They do try though.

Michelle

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning all,

Well we are in for a 90 degree day here so Im hoping to be able to do most of my work in the back yard this afternoon. My garden helper is coming over today and Ive a long list of things on the to do list for her today. On mine too! Im feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment with the work of getting all the containers planted a month sooner than I normally have them completed. June garden tours should be for folks with lots of peonies and iris! LOL

Julie I LOL over the bendy straw attempt. Cant imagine dealing with that neck brace in this hot weather.

Bug, my brother built the trellis for me. The center part was a Christmas present and I paid him to design and add the two wings for it. I have Betty Coring and Alionuska on it Betty was larger last year but we had to dig her up to get the trellis installed.

Denise, Id love to see some pics of your gardens right now. Looking forward to seeing the new paint job.

Michelle, so sorry about the hot wind! Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful! Cant imaging anything much worse other than hail. Hope that settles down soon.

One of my favorite spring combinations here, the Minitonka Rhododenndron and Globemaster Allium flower heads are the same shape and color and look so pretty together.
    {{gwi:160011}}

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• jak1
    13 years ago

Wow! Welcome to the frozen North! As I type, my thermometer outside in the shade is reading a whopping 97 F! This is a May 25 record for us. And to think that two weeks ago I lost flower buds and Hostas to frost!

Of course my nice snug rigid foam filled collar is really comfy right now...

On the bright side, I dried two loads of laundry in four hours outside today - consecutively too. We do have central air so my temperature in the house is at 26C -around 70 F. I have spent all day indoors, and kept the pets in also, much to their dismay.

My clematis Durandii is wilting. although I soaked its roots and misted the leaves.

I have five little birds hot-footing it on my front garden rock as they wait to have a turn in the birdbath.

Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter.

Maybe will spend some time editing photos.

We will likely sleep downstairs tonight, quite a bit cooler there, and we have everything - t.v., computer, beds, bath...sounds good to me already!

I hope you're managing your pots o.k. Deanne - I know you are already freaking out about the upcoming garden tour!

And I don't think chickens like heat - hope that Mary and V are also managing, although I have no idea what your weather is like just now.

Cheers, all

Julie

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

33C or 91F here Julie! I've been pretty much indoors except for before 10am when I gardened, mowed, watered, walked the dog and ran errands. Yeah, laundry here too: washed the sheets I used to protect plants from frost not so long ago!
    My "live plants" order arrived and fortunately the mailman can READ! He actually drove my package down the lane to the house instead of letting the plants roast in the mailbox! So those are parked in the shade now. I'm not risking planting anything in these temperatures.

I hope Mary is well and that it is only her computer that is ailing!!!!!

'bug

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Deanne your gardens are so clean and neat.

Julie I believe you are hotter there than we are here. But it's still to darn hot for this time of year. We had a thunderstrom again last night . My daylillies should be great this year with all the rain. In April we were four inches under normal and now we are ahead. My hostas are maturing and some are getting quite large. How come I can never imagine how much room they will take up when I plant them. LOL

Yes I hope Mary is okay too.

Staying real busy here. But nothing exciting.

Keep hydrated everyone.

Norma

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Greetings all -- how odd to hear of 90 degree weather in the frozen north and New England... here in the "south" as some folks consider my area, we had maybe 80 on Sat - torrents of rain for Sunday, 60s Monday and it's now starting to creep to the 80s again - with t-storms and perhaps high 80s predicted for thursday before a cold track again! I've been afraid to pull the agaves out yet for fear of too much rain and chill.... go figure. It sounds like Norma's weather and mine are similar...

Deanne -- o my - bestill my heart -- your gardens are just immaculate and stunning. I noted the trellis too - what fun, I've got both those clems too, but in different areas of the gardens...

My gardens this year are quite "blowsy" would be the best word -- things shot up and are wild and wooly already -- with the roses, peonies and clems kind of slimy and droopy from all the rain - such is life.

Saucy - that is quite incredible for a plant sale I think - I imagine your prices were reasonable, so that must have been a lot of plants -- good for you!

Chelone -- I pinch and cut back both my phlox and sedums too (w/ that adage of do it til June..) - I usually only manage on great lop and then let them go -- you can stagger the phlox - w/ short in front and tall unpinched in back per Tracy diSabato, which I do in certainly areas.. I usually pull up stems of phlox to open the whole plant up as well... but I do not stake sedums like Deanne -- they're on their own!

Interesting to hear about paints and how they're just not the same re longevity - probably has something to do with ingredients being banned or something, right?

-Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Turtleneck weather descends again on the Napa Valleyrain all day, more on tap for tomorrow.Lol Norma, Im very hydrated thank you ! Hard to believe that my friends in Canada are sweltering ! This crappy weather is supposed to fly the coop for the long weekend though, good thing - I have a full gardening agenda planned, including a visit to garden center in Sonoma County and a possible IU garden preview.

I believe this is our first kangaroo sighting on the Idylls ? Lordy. I await the rhino at Saucys and the giraffe at the compound. I wonder what the Wrecking Crew would make of that ?

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    13 years ago

I am sunburnt, scratched by chicken wire, dog-tired and so behind in garden and household chores that it just ain't funny, but . . .

{{gwi:160013}}

{{gwi:160015}}

The chickens have moved into their new coop and run, and all is well! We spent almost all of the last two weekends building the run and making the coop habitable - I'm so far behind in all other aspects of life I don't even want to think about it. But the chickens are thriving, all 34 of them. There's still work to be done on the coop, but we have a little more time to finish up the rest of the details.

We did have brutal heat here this weekend, but the girls handled it just fine. We left the eaves of the coop open (but wrapped in chicken wire) so there is good air circulation through the coop.

I'm so far behind here that I don't know what else to day. My DD is about halfway through her European adventure and is having a great time. She chats with me via Google about every other day, and about every four or five days she emails long dispatches to all the family, so we can keep in touch quite easily. I have to say that I don't think I would have dared to do some of what she is doing when I was her age.

V.

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

I really hesitate to post these in the same area where Deanne's immaculate and pristine garden photos exist -- is this letting it all hang out, LOL? --

VA Blowsiness:

{{gwi:160018}}

Clems all mixed up -- Mdme Julie de Correvon, Romantika, Gravetye Beauty and a peek of Emlia Platter:

{{gwi:160021}}

{{gwi:160023}}

Betty Corning, Huldine & Lilies:

{{gwi:160026}}

Cl Arabella (an Idyller fav) and Rosa Heritage:

{{gwi:160028}}

The untamed side (ignore the grass knee high...)

{{gwi:160073}}

--cindy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooo Cindy the clems are fabu ! As far as the 'untamed' look goes, really it can be charming, romantic , evocative..like southern literature. It's very compelling to me. I especially appreciate seeing photos of places where it is not raining, lol. Your lilies are weeks ahead of mine !

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Cindy, your garden is fabulous! I love the arches with all the clems. I know my garden is put to shame by some of its untidiness. I think we are all most critical of our own garden.

I'm at that point in the season where I'm stressing about what I should do first - plant seeds, plant wintersown plants, plant annuals, pot contianers or plant cannas etc.? I know it will calm down soon but I really need a few days off, but that's not going to happen this year.

It's not turtleneck weather here - Sunday and Monday were sprinkler weather. Upper 80's and lower 90's. Today was much cooler though. Very dry and with horrible wind on Sat. things have really dried out.

{{gwi:160074}}

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

V, the 'girls' coop has lots of charm and everyone did a great job of building it. Are you going to paint or stain it? Thats what is great about the internet, You are able to stay in touch with DD.

Michelle I think we all get stressed for a few weeks this time of year when we get pulled in so many directions. There is just so much to be done.
    Love Kenzie in the sprinker.

Cindy while Deannes garden is gorgeous. I love your style too. I would love to walk through it and discover things.
    Your clems are lovely all entwined. My peonies didn't have a chance to bloom right this year. But thats the way it goes.

Well I logged on to look up something about Dalhias, so guess I better get it done.

Have a great day. Norma

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

WOW! Busy time posting in the evenings here these days.

Now would you look at that high class chicken dwelling! I guess it is appropriate for such aristocrats. I agree that computer contact with the kids is terrific. I think I never would have been able to raise our son without it! I'd not even know where he was...

Cindy, it's all a matter of vocabulary. "Blowsiness" is a quality I strive for. It is ideal for clematis and the "Country Look". After all, you could never fit a combine in the background of your photos! Now a little baby girl would look just fine there too...

Michelle, I share your garden anxiety. I guess others just don't see what we do. With our heat wave and dryness I am running about with the hose instead of planting and weeding and staking. I tried to edge some more last night in a tidy up effort in anticipation of weekend guests. Still need to come up with a menu- maybe a simple BBQ with hamburgers and salads.

DH is still working on our stove repair...waiting for parts from the US. No more kangaroo sightings. Got this email from him yesterday:
    It's apparently a "European Hare" also called "Cape Hare", but called a Jack Rabbit.
    Immigrant from Europe in 1893. Can hit 45 mph with 12 foot bounds. Claims to
    be original Easter Bunny. Up to 20 pounds.

Not really a kangaroo.
    Hunters like them.

OK, off to move the sprinkler and get DH out the door. Not sure what's next.
    'bug
    Blue Bird
    {{gwi:160075}}

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Ooo La La...I love it when everyone posts pictures! I love the neatness of Deanne's and the romance of Cindy's (thank you for putting my finger on it, Kathy!). The chicken coop is certainly built to last...no second guessing the decision to raise chooks now :) Ivy is right as rain (Rayne) on the photo thread and your clematis are beautiful, GB...if I can ever get the hang of it, I'd like to try some of the more delicate varieties.

I took pictures of the GG this morning, perhaps later I'll have time to process. Jake is playing hooky with me this morning to have breakfast and go to the Registry to take the test for his driver's permit...then off to an orthodontist appointment. Busy day in this heat.

I love reading along in Idyll as we all garden our way through life. I feel a bit stressed, too. I think the heat brings on a sense of urgency. Next week looks a little cooler, and I am looking forward to that. Perhaps a to do list for the garden? That just seems wrong to me.

Happy Gardening!

Saucy

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning all,

We are going to have another really hot day today and Im not looking forward to working outside in the 90 degree temps. Im making headway with the containers and only have a few of the big ones left to do. The Hay Racks are filling in nicely and the heat has spurred the tropicals into some good early growth.

Cindy, I LOVE your garden, it looks like a Monet painting! So very, very beautiful with the arches and clematis. Wonderful! Those lilies look like Manhattan which are among my favorites. Mine have just begun to set buds and yours are in full bloom. And your Arabella is looking wonderful. What a great performer. Its perfect with that Heritage rose. ~~ LOL about my neat gardens. Its part of my OCD thing and guess what? I used to color in the lines as well. Sometimes I wish I could color outside the box but its foreign to my personality.

Michelle, love the pic with Kenzie in the sprinkler, so sweet. ~~ I so know about feeling stressed about just how much needs to be done in May. I like things better when I can putter about with the plants and not spend every day getting some major thing done. I only have a few big things left to do and MichelleD will be helping with those so hopefully Ill be ramping back to lighter maintenance tasks soon.

V. what a terrific job you did with the chicken coop! fantastic! Your girls are going to be so comfortable there. ~~ How neat that with the internet you can stay in touch with your DD. MJs son Jason graduated from UNH this year and he and his girlfriend are going to Europe as well. What a super opportunity.

Norma, Id sure love to see some more photos of your gardens and pond??? Your pond is so beautiful. Do you have waterlilies blooming yet?

Bug, that Bluebird is out of this world and into the next! gorgeous.

Saucy, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the GG, can you throw in pics of your containers too! I always love seeing what everone is doing with their container gardens.

Yesterday I finally planted the big hanging basket and have high hopes for it this year.
    {{gwi:160076}}

And I decided to plant the caladium in the square urn with some finely divided ivy. I normally plant tuberous begonias in this planter but have had no success with keeping them looking good throughout the season so am hoping for better things from these caladium. I originally wanted to use a fern with this but found the pretty small leaved ivy ad thought that would be just the thing.
    {{gwi:160077}}

OK must run, Doug is going to help me get the big hanger up the tree. Ill grab pics when it is in place

Have a great day

Deanne

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Cindy! Making me drool on the keyboard is not nice! :-)

V - it looks like those chickens have a nice home.

GB - that fence and clematis is one of my favorite things. And look what came today - a little Snow Day:
    {{gwi:160079}}
    It's small but sturdy-looking. I'll try not to kill it with benign neglect :-) Thank you again!

Too HOT here yesterday and today. I was planning to spend a lot of the day on the computer organizing photos but the glasses I use for the computer just fell apart as I cleaned them and I cannot get them back together - grrr...

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Great to see all the photos while I finish my coffee this morning!

Vknew youd come through with a chicken update. Seeing how fantastic it looks, I can imagine the hours of work on such a major project! Glad your DD is enjoying her European jaunt, thats so reassuring to have regular contact when our kids are far away.

Cindy, your photos look wonderfully lush and inviting! So marvelous to see the diversity of Idyll gardens. Its that personal touch of plants, combinations and design that creates the magic!

Michelle, Kenzie by the sprinkler is a classic shot of kids and hot weather!

Ivy is adorable, her expressions are starting to reflect this new milestonefirst birthday and wanting to find out about everything she encounters. (I cant duplicate the cake but am seriously considering buying a Suzy Q for each hand and using her method to eat them)

Company and cookout this weekend - same here, bug!
    Shop for container plants, annuals, experiment w/seeds - ditto
    90 degrees and high humidity - affirmative
    Dry helicopters - coming to life with a vengeance
    Perennials still in pots - 7
    Graduation parties - 2 this week
    Birthday celebration - 1

Time to get underway addressing all the above. Guess I'd better wish everyone a safe and enjoyable weekend now since I'm already feeling the time crunch for Idylling.

{{gwi:160080}}

{{gwi:160082}}

{{gwi:160084}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Back indoors to enjoy Deanne's containers. Somehow you manage to make exquisite combos out of plants I thought I didn't like....Must be the added "Ivy"! I never liked coleus or caladium until you came into my life!

Woody, I certainly hope your Snow Day does magnificently! [I got one too! ;)] We'll have to see if it likes your zone best. Would a bandaid fix your glasses? That's what I've done on camping trips.

While waiting for GG photos, I was inside the barn with a giant bucket of glop...sifting it into a container of rocks and pebbles, another of broken glass, and another of soil. For once my plan worked! The barn is cool and Phoebe sat with me. :) Then I trimmed edges of the barn garden until the sun hit me. Will try to finish that in the evening once it cools down again.

Candy DH and I have been enjoying the pet photos. You're right about those helicopters. The trees are loaded with them this year!

Think I'll head out for some more top soil with my last $20 bill of the month!

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Checking in quick from the awfice, so now time to comment. I thought I'd share a little of what's going on in my garden:
    Lots of alliums in bloom right now.
    {{gwi:160086}}

{{gwi:160087}}
    Tree peony looking not quite as pretty as it should due to the heat and wind.
    {{gwi:160088}}

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Well Michelle, you sent your heat and wind this way. it got up to 100.6 here today and it's windy as he - - out there. Stuff is drying out at light speed. Sometimes I feel like giving up. I'm pretty discouraged this afternoon as my Endless Summer Hydragea was completely wilted to the ground and is burned, the bearded iris are just ruined and on and on. I splurged and bought myself a new fuchsia and I dont think it's going to make it. Completely wilted and it was watered this AM. They just don't do 100 degrees well.

Anyway, done with vent, your gardens are looking marvelous. That tree peony is stunning! I can't imagine how it would look better. covered with blooms, how long has it been in its location?

Bug, I lol over you not liking coleus, Id forgotten that about you and I didnt know you didnt like caladium either. Too funny. Im getting more and more into plants with striking foliage. And yes, that pot definitely needed the ivy. I wish you could see it in the late afternoon, the leaves glow with the last sunlight of the day and are really beautiful. I was on the fence about planting those there until I saw the end of day show and that decided me.

Candy, love the ribbon pic, too funny!

Woody, too HOT here yesterday and today as well. The weather persons are now talking about us having 90s again over the weekend. Ugh!

OK time for dinner, have a great evening.
    Deanne

PS the hanger is up on its bracket on the tree but I dont have the energy to go back outside so pics tomorrow.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ill table all complaints about weatherweve usually had at least 1 heat wave here by now, but it seems my NE friends are getting the brunt of it. Im content with the cool temps and rain for the present.

I bought more plants today ! Im justifying my purchases though Im having IGGs(Important Garden Guests) in June. One must have things looking at least somewhat decent. This is a fabu excuse , right up there with having a wedding in your back yard.

Michelle, that yellow Tree Peony is to die for ! Ive always wanted one . I think my pink one is so puny and underperforming I has made me wary of adding another. Your garden always looks so pretty !

Well Deanne, I hope all your plants spring back after the heat. My area can be very marginal for fuchsias during the summer, they sure hate the heat. Ive started to try to collect varieties that seem a bit more tolerant , not to mention mite resistant.

Mighty nice digs for those chickens V !

I guess I better chime in with some pics here- it wasnt raining for once this evening so I got a couple to share.

This is a combo in the making, I'll post another in a couple weeks from the same view. {{gwi:160089}}From Garden 2010 Spring

These are pics of my C. Cups and Saucers, planted with the Delphiniums ...ridiculously old-fashioned , requiring daily attention to staking, but I'm enjoying so much there will be a repeat performance next year. {{gwi:160090}}From Garden 2010 Spring
    {{gwi:160091}}From Garden 2010 Spring
    {{gwi:160092}}From Garden 2010 Spring

Waves to all!

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Oh my Kathy! bravo! LOVE those C Cups and Saucers!!!! wonderful with those delphs. Such beauteous pics, thanks for the eye candy.

Re fuchsias and heat, they can usually tolerate a bit of 90's in July/August but this was too hot too fast and they are all seriously unhappy except for Beacon, Beacon Rosa and Lena. Those old varieties seem to be super tolerant of the heat. I can start you cuttings of those if you'd like. You can pick them up in the fall?

Cheers
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

There's a wonderful moon tonight my friends! Look out your window!

DH (and Phoebe) helped me prune around my "orchard"...meaning the seven small apples I started from seed a few years back. Two are doing very well, the others are just alive. Then I gave them a soak. Still more edging and mowing needed before the weekend. I'm the one who is wilted here! Spent much of the day moving the sprinkler.

Tonight included a long conversation with DD about Skyler and his Mom. You can imagine... DD really needed to talk, especially since DSIL is out of town until the weekend.

Loving this photo heavy thread!
    No hippo or muskox sightings today....
    Time to wash off the bug spray!
    'bug

• deanneart
    13 years ago

No moon tonight Bug we are having a HUGE thunderstorm. Guess I'd better get off this computer!

Deanne

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

I see the moon right out my window.It is so bright it is illuminating the nearby clouds. We had wind but no rain a little while ago.
    Sorry about your plants Deanne. Those sure are huge caladiums.

Off to bed for me,I plan to be more productive tomorrow.
    N

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

OY Deanne! Sometimes I think the only solution here is a 10 acre geodesic dome to cover the whole garden!
    Fingers crossed for you after all that work!!!!

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I did notice the moon as I was in the garden until 9:30. I cut back 4 weigelas. I had serious die back on all of them this year. The only one that wintered well was 'My Monet' which is such a cute little shrub. I also moved the sprinkler around. Normally I never water until July or August.

Another Kenzie story for those who can stand it ;o) I had pulled up a bunch of snapdragons that have seeded all over her garden and thrown them on a pile. She saw it and said now I have my very own compost pile!

I just talked to my DS and he was telling me that his GF got to interview Garth Brooks and Tricia Yearwood. She was really excited about it.
    Deanne, what a great caladium. I love that pot too. Bummer about the horrible heat - sorry! They are predicting a cool down next week into the 70's. Maybe that will head your well too.

Kathy, the cup and saucers are so fun! I grew the cup and saucer vine a few years ago (cobea scadens)

Thats it for now.

Michelle

• saucydog
    13 years ago

I saw the moon and was thinking of you all.

I am thrilled to be considered an IGG.

We had hail when the storm came through, and I sat up in bed and said, "my banana!" and Nick said, "it'll grow back" so I went back to sleep. I'm afraid to look this morning.

My last photo class was a success with everyone producting great photos. The only thing I need to work on is using the tripod more often. And practicing composition...but I have the rest of my life to practice that :)

I took pictures of the GG and it doesn't look as good in pictures as I think it does in person...and I see all the work that needs to be done! Hopefully in the upcoming weeks I can spend some time there. I want to get the paths done this year, and Nick has said he'll help. We just need the weather to cooperate this year.

But the nice thing is...even though I see work, this garden makes me happy! The Goddesses are still in their winter lair :)

{{gwi:160093}}

And here's a close up of all I did last year (almost none of this was there!)...and the schizophragma "moonlight" is actually climbing the tree!

{{gwi:160094}}

And a pink tree peony for Cindy:

{{gwi:160095}}

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning Idyllers,

Well it is 56 and overcast this AM and I can tell you that it feels wonderful to be cool after yesterdays 100 degrees. The thunder storms here didnt produce any hail or severe wind here but did some major damage in VT. They did bring about an inch of rain which was badly needed so I dont have to water today. What a relief! It just seems so wrong to be hauling hoses around in May. I guess we are all going through the same yo-yo weather and I dont imagine anyone is enjoying it much.

Saucy, love your GG, and especially love that combination with that nifty geranium. Very lovely. Cant wait to see the Goddesses back in their garden. ~~ Hope your banana survived the hail.

Michelle, why do you think your wigelas had so much winter damage? Any particular set of circumstances that caused it? So sorry, thats so disappointing. Mine are all in good shape this spring. ~~ That Caladium is White Queen and grew from tubers from Home Depot. Can you even imagine? Im really pleased with the results from all of the tubers I planted this spring. I put them on a shelf that had a light fixture directly beneath the trays so it heated the soil up. They are one of the few plants around here that had no problems with the temps yesterday. I find it so interesting that a plant that has such a fragile appearing leaf is immune to the heat. ~~ LOL about Kenzie being happy to have a compost pile! You are training her up right Grandma!

So Bug, did you get some rain last night? Hoping you did so you dont have to schlep hoses today.

Pic for the day, the tropical container garden is starting to fill in
    {{gwi:160096}}

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Well Deanne, the sprinkler is very busy again today...I'm glad that things are better for you outdoors though!!!

Saucy, how super that Nick has volunteered to help you make paths in the GG! DH has helped with a few heavy tasks here and that assistance is soooo appreciated! This morning even a simple thing like untangling the hoses was a big relief. I did more edging for a couple of hours, but there's so much more to do. It is warming up though, so I'm not sure what the next tasks will be. I certainly cannot plant my ghetto collection in this heat.

Like Michelle, the alliums are thick with bloom. My baptisia is out, iris about to take off, and many early things are enjoying our 'summer' heat. I also have my pale yellow Claire de Lune peony in full bloom. Usually it opens around June 3rd.

{{gwi:160098}}

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Last night I was surrounded by hummingbirds in the garden. They were loving the columbine and dictamnus. I've never had so many at one time. The orioles and a brown thrasher entertained me with their songs. "The brown thrasher is known to be one of the best and most spectacular singers with the largest repertoire of songs of all North American birds. It is also a very shy bird so that the chance of people actually spotting the bird is smaller than that of hearing the bird sing. Some brown thrashers are very good mimics and even sing songs of other species of birds as part of their own songs." is a quote from a bird website.

Deanne, the tree peony is probably 4 years old. This is the best year so far for bloom. The bloooms were more fresh before the heat and wind, but still look pretty. I cut 2 and added them to lavendar iris, hosta and variegated columbine leaves in a vase. Oh, and the 2 delph spikes that broke off in the wind. I only have one delph these days and still didn't get it staked in time.

Your containers are amazing. They look so full already.

Saucy, how wonderful that the GG garden makes you happy. That's whats so great about gardening. Things are really filling in nicely.

'bug, love that peony. I'm partial to the singles.

Have a great day and hopefully we can all have the opportunity to enjoy our gardens today.
    Michelle

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

So hard to check in - even in the evenings -- that knee high grass got its haircut last evening so it's not so dreadful looking in that garden anymore (altho more rain expected tonite, sheesh) -- thanks for kind words - I just try to look past all the undone work (& hope you and lurkers will too) and enjoy the color while it's there - and trying not to be in that panic mode we all are feeling -- too too much to do -- but what I was hoping to share -- the clematis do seem to be happy this year, even if the other things have issues - and I do love the color while they're happy. Even more have shot open -- Abundance, The Pres, Rooguchi, Etoile Violette, Prince Charles, Polish Spirit, Venosa Violacea and I think I might have the first blooms this year from Laura and a few others getting ready.

Kathy, it's hard to believe my area is ahead of yours - but I was astonished to see those lilies bursting forth - early for them this year -- I do think they are Manhattan after ogling them in your gardens for years, Deanne -- purchased a few years ago when you were kind enough to share their name -- I've also got some asiatic Ceres (double reds) that were only double one year and come back now, almost the same color - but always singles - go figure - so sometimes Im not sure which bunch is which...

Saucy - I love the GG and that grouping is lovely w/ the geranium phaeum samobar, etc. (one of my fav geraniums)...

'bug - you are so right about Deanne's containers and eye for combos -- I too would not have thought I ever would enjoy caladiums or "exotic" foliage - but Deanne puts them together so amazingly, they are stunning and then I start to think, gee, maybe I'd would like to have one of those, LOL.....

How nice to know I can call myself an IGG for Kathy's place too - cant wait - need to buy a suitcase tho and some other "supplies".... we're into a daily countdown!

I love a lot of oldfashioned flowers - like those cup and saucers -- there's a good reason why folks have grown them for so long!!

We've hit 90 degrees here today I believe w/ strong t-storms on the horizon - I do hope tho for a garden weekend PLEASEE!

-cindy

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

And footnote -- V -- I get so confused as to where I've commented or not - that chick spa/resort for your birds is one very cool place - with its own natural a.c. and everything - amazing!!!! When are you going to have time to garden, LOL?

-cindy

13 years ago

Question for Rose maven Kathy - or anyone who's had to deal with this issue... Clearly New Dawn is in need of a severe reining-in before she takes down the south alley arbour and gate (which is also desperately in need of cleaning and painting :-)!
    {{gwi:36065}}

Since the C. montana and Jackmanii Superba are also in that mess up there, my tentative plan is to wait util late July when the Jackmanii Superba is finished blooming, then take the New Dawn down from the swag and cut it all back to the main trunks (you cannot call them canes any more!) and let it start over, swagging it from the begining. We didn't start the swag until it was already a mess up there! If it dies, I'll just leave the arbour for clematis and plant different climbing roses (less vigorous ones!) at the other end of the swag and train them forward. Kathy - as a survivor of regular battles with Lady Banks, do you have any advice for us?

Gorgeous pictures from everyone! Summer has burst out in a blaze of glory for sure.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That surely is a beautiful photo Woody ! I had to chuckle at your post, last summer I was called in to consult on New Dawn at the Compound, though Chelones issue was the opposite of yours..her ND was looking sparse and in need of care that would promote growth.

I can tell you-with a zone 9 disclaimer that I regularly hack at my roses , and cut the climbers back hard all year long because of my small space-it doesnt take long for them to overwhelm it. If I were in your position, I would consider removing entire canes, all the way to the ground or main trunkbasically a thinning .Then head back the laterals on the remaining canes to a node that faces in a direction you like, in some cases you may wish to remove laterals altogether. I cant imagine this would do any harm this time of year. Sometimes with very vigorous climbers it is hard to find the laterals vs. the canes. I think thinning helps in this case. Does this help ?

bug, if I were ever going to grow Peonies again I would go for the singles, and that Claire de Lune is wonderful !

Loving the GG !

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Woody I understand your delima with New Dawn, but That picture is juct gorgeous.

Michelle,That is so cute that Kenzie was happy to have her own compost pile. I love kids that age. They say the cutest things.

Deanne, You have the neatest looking containers. They put on a show themselves until the plants fill in. I like your white caladium, but I'm also intrigued by the pattern of the one in your big hanging basket. I have not seen one like that.
    I do have water lillies blooming but I didn't get them divided when I should have and am going to have to try to pull them up before they escape their pots. Don't want to go there again. To much work when they take over.

Saucy, I like your plant combos in the GG. Getting the paths in really helps to get things going IMO. So much easier to visualize where plants should go.
    Did Jake get his permit?
    Our GS Jake is now a licensed driver and has a summer job.
    They grow up so fast.

Kathy , I have never grown cup and saucers. Yours are so pretty I may have to try that next year.

Bug I always admire your Claire de Lune. I need to remember to add more singles this fall.

I got quite a few things planted today. Need to get my dalhias in the ground tomorrow. they are cooking in the pots I started them in. It was hot today but more bearable than the last couple of days.

Lots going on over the weekend here. Hope you all have a good one.

hey to all. Norma

• saucydog
    13 years ago

I just talked to Nick as he was walking out the door - we're going to try to finish up the GG paths when the kids go to Maine with his parents next weekend! Yeah!

I agree with you, Norma, I keep trying not to place the plants too close to the edge where the path will be, so that I won't have to deal with that headache. I figure I can move things in the fall or early spring.

I also have structure in the back of my mind. I need some vertical structure, or walls, in places. I have the trellises that I want to use, just need the help to get the job done.

Jake did not get his permit. It's not good. He lost the birth certificate that I ordered (and that took 6 weeks to get our hands on) and without it, he can't apply. I felt so bad for him. When I handed it to him, I gave him the long, "don't lose it" speech. Life lesson, I guess. I have to order a new one, now, and hope that this one turns up.

Yesterday Astilboides Tabularis went in the Goddess Garden, as well as Aruncus dioicus "kneiffii" and another ornamental rhubarb. It's hard to believe that something in such a small container might be big someday. I see lots of plant shuffling in my future.

Today I've got to get my neighbor's ready for weekend sales. We are still trying to put things away from the plant sale! I'm going to make a poster for the tomato display so she can try to sell all the heirlooms that are left.

Later friends!

Saucy

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning all,

Well I had a very successful plant shopping expedition yesterday with my friend Mary and I think Ive got everything I need to finish up my pots. I found the cutest abutilon standard with lovely lemon yellow flowers that I couldnt resist buying. Like I need another abutilon but I dont have that variety. LOL. ~~ Im planning on a heavy duty potting up day today and major cleanup to get the patio ready for company this weekend. Of course the weather is not going to cooperate and the temps are predicted to go back up into the 90s. Grrrr. Doug and I are going to set up one of our pop up tents in addition to the market umbrella so everyone sitting on the patio can be in the shade. ~~ Many thanks all for the kind comments about the pics and combos! I appreciate the positive feedback

Saucy, great news on getting help with GG. I planted a new Astilboides this year too. As you said it looks pretty puny and its hard to believe it will become the behemoth we know it will. I lined the planting area with plastic so it has adequate moisture because the trees suck everything dry back there. ~~~ Big hugs to you for the difficulties with Jake. Heather was exactly like that and I pulled my hair out to baldness many times (well not really but it seemed like it, LOL) and feared shed never grow up. Hell figure it out eventually and figure it out faster by making him deal with the consequences. I wonder, can you have him deal with all the paperwork to submit for a new birth certificate?

Norma, I planted my dahlias beginning of last week and the one good thing this heat has done is gotten them a jump start on the season. ~~ That caladium in the hanger is a new one to me and I really love it. Its called Florida Sweetheart. I found them at Loews. I almost didnt buy it because the label said Blaze and I didnt want red ones for that planter but realized that it had to be mislabeled because they come up the color they will be and wont change from pink to red. Sure enough, I found a Florida Sweetheart at the nursery yesterday so I now know the name of it. A really terrific plant.

Bug, that Claire de Lune is absolutely fabulous!!!!! Id make room for that beauty. How long do those flowers last for you and does it stay upright like that without staking?

Woody, I absolutely love that photo, Makes my fingers itch to do a painting of it. A gorgeous and romantic combination.

Cindy, how strange that those Ceres Asiatics didnt come back double for you. Ive not heard of that happening before. Would love to see some more photos of your clematis arches if you have the time. ~~ Hope you get some cooler weather for gardening over the weekend.

OK Ive got to run and start my pot-a-thon. Have a great day!
    Deanne

Pic for the day This has been one of the most reliable and enduring combinations in the gardens here. The clematis opened up yesterday and Im loving t hat behind all the violets of the salvia and allium.
    Well I had a very successful plant shopping expedition yesterday with my friend Mary and I think Ive got everything I need to finish up my pots. I found the cutest abutilon standard with lovely lemon yellow flowers that I couldnt resist buying. Like I need another abutilon but I dont have that variety. LOL. ~~ Im planning on a heavy duty potting up day today and major cleanup to get the patio ready for company this weekend. Of course the weather is not going to cooperate and the temps are predicted to go back up into the 90s. Grrrr. Doug and I are going to set up one of our pop up tents in addition to the market umbrella so everyone sitting on the patio can be in the shade. ~~ Many thanks all for the kind comments about the pics and combos! I appreciate the positive feedback

Saucy, great news on getting help with GG. I planted a new Astilboides this year too. As you said it looks pretty puny and its hard to believe it will become the behemoth we know it will. I lined the planting area with plastic so it has adequate moisture because the trees suck everything dry back there. ~~~ Big hugs to you for the difficulties with Jake. Heather was exactly like that and I pulled my hair out to baldness many times (well not really but it seemed like it, LOL) and feared shed never grow up. Hell figure it out eventually and figure it out faster by making him deal with the consequences. I wonder, can you have him deal with all the paperwork to submit for a new birth certificate?

Norma, I planted my dahlias beginning of last week and the one good thing this heat has done is gotten them a jump start on the season. ~~ That caladium in the hanger is a new one to me and I really love it. Its called Florida Sweetheart. I found them at Loews. I almost didnt buy it because the label said Blaze and I didnt want red ones for that planter but realized that it had to be mislabeled because they come up the color they will be and wont change from pink to red. Sure enough, I found a Florida Sweetheart at the nursery yesterday so I now know the name of it. A really terrific plant.

Bug, that Claire de Lune is absolutely fabulous!!!!! Id make room for that beauty. How long do those flowers last for you and does it stay upright like that without staking?

Woody, I absolutely love that photo, Makes my fingers itch to do a painting of it. A gorgeous and romantic combination.

Cindy, how strange that those Ceres Asiatics didnt come back double for you. Ive not heard of that happening before. Would love to see some more photos of your clematis arches if you have the time. ~~ Hope you get some cooler weather for gardening over the weekend.

OK Ive got to run and start my pot-a-thon. Have a great day!
    Deanne

Pic for the day This has been one of the most reliable and enduring combinations in the gardens here. The clematis opened up yesterday and Im loving t hat behind all the violets of the salvia and allium.
    {{gwi:160100}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Lovely Photo of the Day! Such soft colors...

About the Claire de Lune peony. It is a very early one and I like it for that alone. I place a peony hoop over it in the very early stages and it remains upright until I cut it back in the fall. The flowers this year barely lasted a week due to all the heat. Usually they last more like 2 weeks. That's the trouble with all peonies. You need to decide how much you love them because they take up real estate for a short period of beauty. But of course, you know what I decided! I've had it for a long time now in the blue & yellow garden. By the way, I got it as a tiny stem which produced a single bloom the first spring. The next year it grew bigger and had 3 blooms. After that I stopped counting! I enjoy single peonies so much- and I know Woody does too.

I've spent a chunk of time weeding already this morning and I'm both tired and hungry.(I woke up at around 4am) I can't do much more weeding because of the heat...and also I need to tidy up and prepare food for weekend company. Fortunately they are bringing dessert so I won't need to think about that.

Possible thundershowers this afternoon and evening...

Enjoy the weekend everyone!!!!
    'bug

13 years ago

Kathy - the big problem with trying to do detailed pruning back to specific buds etc. is that it's just too dangerous to work around that thing! That's why I think it would be easier to just cut it all off. We'd leave the 'tree trunk' canes that go from ground to the top of the arbour but take the rest all off and hope that it would resprout growth that we could then diligently train to the swag chains to keep in control. We'd wait until the end of July to do it so we'd get the maximum show for this year from the clematises and then hope for the best for survival/revival of them all. What do you think our chances would be?

Deanne - I love that picture too. It's the 'show' I look forward to after the wisteria finishes.

Marie - I love that peony!

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Glorious photo, Woody - it's exploded in full at your home now too! It doesnt look overgrown the ND, but I know what you mean -- I've got 2 climbers I didnt prune this spring and boy, they're a mess. I remember the thorns of the ND are just wicked brutal -- armor up. But it's put on a terrific display right now.

And o, Deanne, I never tire of that allium display each year in your sundial garden -- the color matches are amazing.

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend -- some rain here on and off and mega heat Sunday and Monday - I still hope to steal some garden time.

-cindy

• Full_Bloom
    13 years ago

Hi Idylls!

I hope you don't mind my sharing some photos with you after being away soooo long, but I just wanted to share this with you guys so badly....

From the shed I loathed:

{{gwi:160101}}

to the shed I love...or maybe I've just gotten altered art under my skin...lol!

{{gwi:160102}}

{{gwi:160103}}

{{gwi:160104}}

a close up in honor of GB and Woodstock! :-)

{{gwi:160105}}

and I've even started my first real all organic vegetable garden too:

{{gwi:160106}}

I had a hard time finding any photos of the shed "before". I've always tried to keep it out of any pictures of the garden as I was embarrassed about its shabby appearance. I didn't want to paint it again it would be too much work to strip off all the old flaking paint and repair some of the rotting boards. Then I got into my Ohm (?) and decided to embrace the shed in its decayed barnyness. I did put in a new window, as the old one finally just fell out of the wall from decay. I also painted a wire rooster to sit on top of the shed (he's kind of hard to see in my pics, but you can see him best in the 1st pic. The rooster may be my favorite part of the whole shed...lol...I've always wanted my very own rooster (but alas real ones aren't welcomed here in suburbia). :-)

I'm not finished yet; I have more posters I will be adding and I need to wash off all the excess glue, but I couldn't wait to share...I'm just so tickled with it. :-)

I was wondering if maybe I should paint the trim a contrasting color (maybe the orange like the window?....or would that be too bright? It would be easy enough to do, as the trim is not in as bad a shape as the walls. What do you think, leave it or paint it?

I want to talk some more, but it's late and I am bushed from work. Oh yeah, that's my other exciting news...I have a new job that I absolutely *love*, but I start at 06:00 a.m. so I'm not staying up as late as I did in the old days. Anyway, I'll try to catch up with all of you over the week-end and tell you about my new job and what all else is going on in my life and read up and find out what's been going on in yours... I hope it's all good news and that life has been treating all my Idylls friends well...TTYL!

P.S. Why am I getting these highlighted words??!??

Eileen

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Oh WOW Eileen! Look at you go girl! Your orange window even matches your garden blooms. I want to know what you have growing in your raised beds, what kind of clematis are growing up your 'Woodstock' barn, all about your job, your plans to move(?), your family, etc...

I have a busy day ahead with company, but I'll be back to check up on your answers! Great to have you back here and I hope for a musical contribution as well as some !!!!!!!s :)

Love your rooster! We certainly needed an Idyll rooster with all those chickens here...

Later,
    'bug

PS: I won't be able to post photos until DH figures out yet another computer glitch.

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Wowza Eileen! Love it. what a creative treatment for your old shed. Can't wait to see the vines growing up those trellises.

Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yay Ei ! Your shed looks fabu and your veggie garden is beautiful !Looking forward to your update..

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Hey thats terrific Ei. Don't you just love those ah ha! moments? And why did'nt I think of this sooner. LOL

Can't wait to hear about your job and maybe a few close ups of those posters.

Norma

• Full_Bloom
    13 years ago

Good Morning Girls!

My salutation made me immediately made me think of that old song "Good Morning Girl, how'd ya sleep last night? You're sev'ral ages older now Your eyes have started showin' how The little girl's growin' now...Good Morning Girl¨. Lol, some things never change I guess. I still think of the world as one big musical. :-) I don't even remember who sang the song, but it's playing in my head now.

Anyway, thank you so much, I knew you guys would make me feel good. Idylls is definitely a place to find kindness, support and camaraderie.

Speaking of some things never changing...Deanne your gardens are as glorious as ever! I too love that sundial pic...one of my faves, but of course, all the pictures here at the Idylls make me drool...you are all fabulous gardeners & photographers; each with your own special style...I love that.

Lol Cindy, you know me so well. Yes, I *do* want to paint the trim. I'm just having a hard time picturing the color. Kathy's suggestion of purple has definitely made the list. I was also thinking of chartreuse or lime...isn't that Chelone's favorite color? :-) Hi Chelone..I'm so glad you're still here.

Seriously, I do want to paint the trim, but it will be tough choosing the color, cause I get so exuberant I'm afraid I will go over the top and instead of being glorious, it will be garish. I don't want it to scream, but I do want it to be cheerful. :-)

Kathy are you getting pumped about the Idyllunion? I'm all the vistors are...what a treat for all. It will be so much *fun*!

Cindy...did I read you have gotten yourself a new pup? I'm so far behind, I've just decided to start with "today" in catching up with you guys, but I'm happy to hear you have a new companion. Though no one will ever replace your sweet Chloe, I'm glad you have a new partner in crime. What kind of pup did you choose; a maltese? Is it a girl or a boy?

I did see V has started her own chicken ranch (it's fabulous V). Which of course made me think of Mary. I wonder what she is up to now (she's always up to some new creative thing) and wonder how all her baby chicks are doing. I'm sure they are all grown now. Speaking of which, I've been wondering why neither V or Mary have a rooster? I want a rooster *bad*. Someday I will move out to the country and get one and my own little nubby headed goat too.

Hope Saucy is having fun...will a visit to Chelone be on the agenda?

I love Michelle's beautiful garden pics too and your Dictamnus is *gorgeous*. Don't you just love that plant? I think more people would grow it if it just weren't so picky about getting established. I think it may be a propagation challenge? But once you have it you have it forever. My pink one has to be about 10 years old now and it always looks so perfect and healthy. Even in the worst growing season it is always healthy and fresh looking...I love it. I just started new babies of the white version last year. They are still pretty small, but one of them bloomed. I decided I had to have the white after GB mentioned hers...you guys really are enablers. :-)

Speaking of GB and enabling, Clare de Lune is on my list of must have peonies now too.

I should have realized you guys would have thought Clematis when I mentioned the Woodstock/GB shed wall. Actually I just always think of GB when I think of Woodstock. I think she mentioned that she went once and I like to fantasize about what it must have been like for her to be there with all those young and fresh and full of dreams of a better world people and all those positive love vibes. Yes, I guess I am a wannabee woodstocker. :-)
    Anyway, the trellises on that wall only have your sturdy heirloom tomatoes fantasizing about getting big. Maybe I'll put a couple of clematis on the south wall of the shed though...it could use a little more oomph.

Hi Norma...that's it exactly...it did feel like an ah ha moment. I will love to show more pics later when it's finished, but in a separate post. I'd love to show you some close ups of the posters...there are some really cute ones in there.

Anyway, here I've babbled so much and never told you about my work and what's growing in the veggie garden. I always have too much to say (yes some things *never* change...lol) but I'll be back later to chat more.

Hope you are all having a wonderful three day week-end...

TTYL!
    Eileen