o
#480 ..Every Gardener is a Millionaire in Spring

Posted by dodgerdudette NapaCaz9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 21:22

Carry on Idylls..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: #480 ..Every Gardener is a Millionaire in Spring

The house is a mess, the garage is a mess, the larder is only passable for a couple of days- however the roses are 30% deadheaded , The Squire has been rescued from the grip of Sombrueil , and the scant purchases from the weekend have been planted.

I visited 2 potential IU gardens that got a thumbs down, one I had been to before and was in fact featured on the cover of Sunset Magazine several years ago , and another that I had not been to but has a good reputation. The 1st has obviously fallen on hard times, it was not the place I remembered , and it was obvious that economics have led to less maintenance. I hope it returns to its former glory one day, but I cant see it as an IU destination in its current state. The second was so confusing that I got lost a couple of times and the predominate plant was Rhododendrons- nothing will be happening there in late June. On the plus side, I added a garden that I think will be enjoyed by all.

Michelle I love your mini Hosta garden, not a one would last 5 minutes with the virulent snail/slug population we have here. I guess if I were able I would plant some ground- hugging type things , but I wonder will all these fill in to present a soiless view ?

And on the animal story front : we had a neighbor in my childhood that had a pet chimpanzee. Her name was Beulah, and there was a large aviary style cage in their back yard where she lived. Mind you this was suburban Los Angeles in the late 50s to very early 60s. I dont recall how they came upon this pet, but I believe it was a brief interlude, justifiably so if you ask me. The idea of a chimp living in a cage in the house-to-house landscape of southern California is unseemly to me.

Waves to all,

Kathy in Napa

o

Today was an odd day with a mix of activities. First was breakfast for his royal highness, pancakes, which I am refraining from eating these days. I had raspberries.
Then it was a mad dash to Home depot in Guelph where tiny clematis had just arrived. I had been warned by someone about their arrival and phoned to reserve the only C. Caroline in the bunch. I also bought two of C.Margaret Hunt. At $4.99 each I think it was worth the quick trip. Upon our return I potted up all three into larger pots which I'll park in the vegetable garden when nights remain warmer. Next year they will need permanent homes.

And then I was an impossible spouse! I needed my passport for my class reunion in Buffalo and couldn't find it where it always lives, in my purse. I was in a total panic and really agitated. No time to get a new one!!! DH went on the web and searched out all the info to speed things up and help. OH how I hate the bureaucracy involved!!! Well of course I found it again about 3 hours later...in my purse! It was in a zippered pocket that I'd forgotten about. Sigh.

Then it was time to make lunch, then mow the lawn, then emails, then unexpected company arrived. Phoebe got a nice walk out of that visit.

Later, as I made dinner, a huge spark zapped on our stove top, so after dinner, DH disassembled the whole thing to study the situation. Finding the fuse was the first stumbling block, but solvable. Then I left him to his job and used my treadmill. It seems he will leave everything disconnected and speak to the appliance shop about replacement parts tomorrow. The stove top was purchased in about 1987 by previous owners of the house.

After commiserating with my brother on the phone, I got to read an article in a magazine and now am off to BED.

I hope your day was more interesting!

Remember this little girl? This was back at Easter time.

o

Norma, 'Dragon Tails' is the yellow one on the right. I need to walk around the gardens a bit, I'm sure I have a few other mini things that could go in there. One that comes to mind is Erigeron trifidus which is blooming right now. If not I guess I can always go plant shopping ;o)

'bug, the hat is almost as adorable as the little face peeking out beneath it.
My day wasn't all that exciting. We attended the graduation ceremony, I watered a few transplants, watered the basement plants and napped in addition to church.

Kathy, I find the mini's to be fairly slow growers. I've had some of them for probably 4 years. I'm thinking maybe some mulch may make it more finished. I'm not really one to have lots of space between my plants. I'm sure that you would like the gardens you are looking at for IU to measure up to the discerning audience that the Idylls are.

Michelle

o

Your activities are much more interesting than mine were. I mowed Sanitary Ridge and then sspread out the canopy for the deck and scrubbed that to brightedn it up a bit. I let it dry and then hit it with some waterproofing. Then I inspected the valence noting a couple of areas that require some mending... sounds like a job for the new Juki, doesn't it?!

Those itty bitty hostas are delightful, Michelle... might be fun to artfully add a conch shell to the mix... something unusual that would add some scale to the planting.

Weather is to be lovely for the next few days, bright and sunny with warm daytime temperatures. A nice change from the chillies of last week. We are very dry here and could definitely use some of Norma's rain, though.

Some of Norma's rain might just prove the ticket to inspire some very needed house cleaning, too. I came up the stairs the other day and looked through the railing and under the couch... all I could think of was the Elton John album, "Tumbleweed Connection"... clouds of dog and cat hair that tumbled every which way when I blew on them... . Not pretty.

The annual hunt for Browallia is on. None to be found, though one place that has usually had it is still buying some annuals and my plaintive request was greeted with interest, not the usual, "what's that? is it a Proven Winner?". Sigh.

Ivy looks inscrutable.

I have to make a birthday cake today. Chocolate, with chocolate frosting. :)

o

Good morning! Happy day here as the weather is perfect and the kids are at school - good time to garden!

I went to Maine over the weekend with SunnyD and two others - our annual trek to celebrate her birthday. We had great weather and great food. Lots of long walks and of course lots of talking.

Nick and the kids worked on the path in the Goddess Garden. I was so happy to see the progress when I returned home. Hopefully this will really help jumpstart things. I feel motivated :)

Very nice to see Prarie Moon :) I think you should quit lurking and say hello once and a while, but that is just me. You're missed here.

More later. I'm itching to get outside and the dishes need doing first!

Saucy

o

Canopy is mended and installed. 12'x18' of canvas is heavy, esp. when you're shouldering it up an 8' ladder then hoisting over your head and the ridge pole of the frame. Who needs free weights? It's laced in place and I'm ready to put on the screens having taken the birthday cake out of the oven. I am totally loving my new machine... and I'm now eyeing the faux wicker sofa with an eye to new cushions... .

Good to know that Saucy and Sunny D's weekend retreat was good fun. I confess to liking nothing better than just kicking back and "hanging around". I'm all for "life in the slow lane" and "goin' nowhere fast". Maybe some Goddess Garden shots?

And yes, nice to see PM2; I wonder if she ever received my message about irons and ironing boards?

Dreaming of fantasy gahdens in Fantasyland... a place I'll likely never see because, in my own taciturn New England way I know it doesn't exist. le Sigh.

OK, time to find the screens and finish the "tasque du jour". (After that, buttercream frosting).

o

Happy today!

I could easily skip birthdays, but chocolate buttercream frosting sounds like a dream....yum! And Chelone, you deserve a huge portion or two of that cake after all the hoisting and manoeuvering you've been up to! That certainly doesn't sound like 'just kicking back' to me!

I too am glad to hear from PM2! And Saucy, I'm still waiting for the GG pics ....

Many errands this morning under my belt. First a trip to the vet's for anti-flea meds for the pooch this summer and some cat food. Onward to find just a couple of perennials, then an item for New Baby with a matching pair of PJs for Ivy. Then throat pills for DH, then some groceries so DH can eat while I run off to Book Club tonight. On my way home, I picked up tomatoes, zucchini and eggplants for the gahden. Phew!

After a few phone calls, I hope to plant some things that are hardened off.

It is overcast and warm out today!
'bug

o

I've got tomatoes, squash, and basil planted at my mom's in a raised bed Marty threw together. Just the summer basics. My mom was so excited to see the tomato had flowers. The gaps in people's horticultural knowledge is always such a surprise. I pointed out that the flowers would be the fruit, that the fruit is just a seed capsule, but I've noticed whenever I "explain" something, the listener's eyes cross and I lose the audience immediately. I'd have made a horrible teacher. Most of my family has always thought my garden enthusiasm on the freakish side, Though they're too polite to say so, I can tell by their lack of interest!

Weather still cool here, with heavy mist this morning. Marty's making choc chip cookies to bring to his pals at work, a thank-you for the retirement party they threw. Painting this old house is due to begin any day. Quarts of sample colors have been purchased. Right before I fall asleep, I run through colors in my mind, and that's the only time I think about them! It's getting to be like counting sheep.

Last Friday afternoon I came home from work to find my Vietnamese neighbor's wife had wandered off. 75 years old, doesn't speak English. She was last seen at the Buddhist temple barely a block away and had decided to walk home. After an hour passed, the family knew she'd gone on an unintended walkabout. There was conflicting reports of which family member let her leave alone, but I imagine the patriarch of the family is going to be kicking some a**. Even the most fluent English speaker in the family was difficult to communicate with, especially considering the emotional duress, so we called the police and made the report. Everyone searched in cars, on bikes. Marty drove in this crazy criss-cross pattern, which he explained is the pattern of coverage used when someone falls overboard. About 4 hrs later the police called. She had been found just before nightfall and brought into the PD by two teenage girls, and we drove over and picked her up. Unfortunately, the husband had no cell phone, so he was still searching in his car an hour after we brought her home. What a stomach-churning event. An ID bracelet is being made for her.

Plant sale at the Huntington gardens yesterday, and I came prepared with a wagon for the first time. Ended up not using it, since tables for plants on "hold" are provided and I only bought a few things. The action was fast and hot at the cactus and succulent table. I got a few things -- one each of a reddish-leaved agave, deep orange aloe, golden bromeliad and a Tanacetum 'Beth Chatto."

Thought this patio furniture makeover had some great ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Budget garden furniture makeover

o

Denise - I'm glad you neighbour's story had a happy ending! I hope the teenage girls got a good round of thanks from everybody. We worried about MIL doing a walkabout. The last time they stayed here a few years ago, she got lost going from the bedroom to the bathroom. FIL slept through it all. So we worried about her doing a walkabout at their home - in Calgary, in winter. Fortunately it never happened but stories like that, Denise, send shivers through people with relatives with failing memories.

gb - does the canid wildlife up your way have trouble with mange this year? The foxes in our neighbourhood have it again. The first time it happened, half the neighboourhood dogs got is too - incluning Chelsea! Now we use the heartworm medicine that is also effective against mange.

Do you remember the picture Randy took of the front garden from the garage roof in April? He was up there again this morning:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The driveway edible garden in its spring messy state - north side:
south side:

o

I see eyes glaze over as I talk gardening, too, Denise. Your mom's plot sounds perfect. I have been toying around with trying a funky veggie garden at the neighbor's (where it is fenced).

Talking veggies makes me think groundhog and I mentioned that I'd seen hide nor hair of him. Jake said he had :)

We're working hard to prepare for the annual Plantapalooza. All proceeds go to the Community Harvest Project - a local farm that raises fresh produce for the food bank. Last year was our first sale, and it was very successful. I hope we have a big crowd this year.

I will be working every moment right through the weekend. It is a two day plant sale.

My own garden and containers are suffering, but I'll catch up in a week. September is my favorite month in the garden, and it will be welcomed this year :) Hopefully we'll have an 80 degree July and August and I'll enjoy them, too.

I'm off for my walk. Have a great day!

Saucy

o

• Posted by jak1 4 Ontario Can (My Page) on
    Tue, May 18, 10 at 9:46

Hello, newcomer, and welcome to the town of Perth, Ontario. Here are your 26 garbage bag ties. You are entitled to put out one bag of garbage every two weeks. If you live on the East side of town your bags will be picked up on the first and third Wednesday. If you live on the West side, every second and fourth Wednesday. Here is your blue box. It is for papers and cardboard. It is picked up every second Tuesday. If you live on the north side of town, it will be picked up on the first and third Tuesday. If you live on the south side, it will be picked up on the alternate Tuesdays. Here is your yellow bin. It is for bottles (alcohol bottles not accepted), cans (beer cans not accepted) and plastics. It will be picked up on the other Tuesday from your blue bin pickup. Here is your green bin. It is for kitchen compostables, and pet waste, but garden and yard waste is not accepted. (You must taken garden waste to the dump youself at a cost of $10 a trunk-load). The green bin will be picked up every Tuesday. Note that the blue bins and yellow bins and garbage will be picked up in the morning on the appropriate days so please have these by the curb at 7a.m. Leaving bins and garbage at the curb overnight is not accepatble. The green bins will be picked up late afternoon on Tuesdays. Please put your name and address clearly on each bin and make sure that the locking mechanism on the green bins is engaged......

Anybody want to live here?

Cheers, Julie

o

Julie, I think that's pretty standard these days... It's interesting though that some things that are acceptable for your garbage aren't acceptable here and vice versa. Our recyclable stuff is collected weekly and regular garbage every other week.

o

Nothing is collected for us and I like it that way! We take our things to the transfer station ourselves as needed. They are open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

I'm surprised that pet waste is put with kitchen compostables. Even I don't do that here at the 'farm'.

I laugh at the North/South and East/West divisions! Wouldn't want anything the same! And the wine and beer bottles are a mystery to me as well.

Back to garden work...

o

Just a quick drop in- Michelle, did you see the post from arbo on the other side? There is a hosta named Kenzie!

Gotta run-lunch break is over. Crazy this time of year.

o

I echo Cyn's phrase - things are kind of crazy at this time of year..... a wandering idyller check-in.

I've been foiled by various computer woes at home and awfice - go figure - someone conspiring against me, LOL? The new security update at home successfully wiped out internet connections for 2 days til I figured it out; the awfice here, seems to have new challenges of blocking this or that from day to day....

I missed a photo perhaps of Michelle's mini hosta garden? I scrambled back and forth between two threads, and not a one to find -- I'll try again at leisure time tonite.

My camera card has been full for a week - trying to upload to various places thwarted here and there -- a bit like Julie's town for sorting trash I think.

Denise - I did recall that Marty was to be retiring about May 4 and wondered if that was what brought about your absence -- so nice to see posts from you again!! Im sure it's to be a challenge in re-adjustment for finances and emotions and forbearance -- I wish you well on all of them.

Well, you can laugh - Im sitting at the desk w/ earplugs inserted -- a lovely silence but I cant hear a thing anyone directs at me -- have had a bldg drone of some ballbearing failure in the a.c. in my area for 2 days -- last nite the headache from it was so severe I went home and went to bed at 7:30 pm.... upon a relief of headache and coming in this a.m, the noise was still droning away -- a part on order but no relief in sight -- aargh -- luckily my "metro" earplugs are working just great - it was either that or have them move my computer & phone (which may still happen)... but I feel a bit like Im adrift in a lovely island of silence and I may amaze myself by my productivity.

Woody, your wisteria is lovely and the lush spring gardens of your home are a treat. My gardens seem to be catching up to Kathy's -- there is clematis, peonies, roses, and even the beginnings of lilies in bloom -- the lilies are a surprise - I've never had them start this early - but the rain that is beating everything down isnt making for any WALATs to enjoy....

I did manage to get some annuals to stock up on for containers in a week or so and a rendez-vous w/ our greyhound friend Cynthia - she's doing well and we had a wonderful time crawling a couple of MD nurseries -- we were both a bit restrained re plant purchases, but I managed to find more "ornaments." If I ever get the camera shots uploaded somewhere, I'll try to share what they were.....

The recycling biz here in VA is lame and sad -- but I agree with 'bug, no pet waste is considered compostable even in VA....

There's lots of glassy eyes in my friends and relatives too whenver it comes to plant talk or pulling them over to share some bloom or new discovery -- politeness overtakes the freeze on their faces w/ nods and a change of subject, LOL.

Chelone -- glad to hear you sounding a bit less melancholy and onward and upward -- one just plugs away at the job and tries to get back to our "real" lives after we leave the fort.

Gosh, I have a lot to catch up on here!

-Cindy

o

Cindy, I just want you to know that a second puppy after a long loved doggie friend can be a wonderful thing. Phoebe may look the same to others and she is loved as much as Charlotte, but she is very different to us. It has been over two years now that we have had her and we still call her Charlotte at times. OOOOPS!

It has been a good day for gardening for this old lady! Removed some Japanese anemones (AGAIN!), tidied up the Greek oregano and weeded around the lavender. Then I weeded around the roses on the bridge, only to find that I will be removing most of them. They are a continuous nuisance with disease. I guess I'll add a few clematis instead. After that I moved a type 2 clematis which has always struggled, producing one single bloom each year at best. It is now in the vegetable garden to bulk up. I tied up 5 other clematis which were being stressed by the wind. Then I planted up some Salvia Black & Blue in a container with some orange dahlias. I hope to buy some soil tomorrow to get some tomatoes in a container as well. Then I watered a bunch of things and am now sitting down!

I guess I am lucky here. I don't think anyone I know turns glassy eyed when plant talk begins. In fact most of my friends are fairly addicted as well. Just last night at book club I told a friend about Baptisia Carolina Moonlight being available and she was so excited that she was off to the nursery first thing this morning to collect her own.

This weekend is the annual fish fry in town with proceeds going toward the food bank. I'd prefer Saucy's garden sale!

Time to consider dinner options and then I hope to WALAT a while. :)
'bug

o

Good Evening Idylls..

Breezy today but the temps are nice so its tolerable. set out the garbage tonight and thought of Julie ! We are fortunate to have single stream recycling here, all cans, bottles, plastic, papers etc go into one 60 gal toter, and we have a garbage and yard waste too. Just this year they added nursery containers to the recycling as well. They all get picked up the same day. Yard waste goes to a composting facility ;you can purchase finished compost for 8 dollars a yard , more if you have it delivered.

Last night I started an IU list of things I need to get done before the event, including the food planning-an important task with this bunch, lol. I still have a couple of gardens to preview , all somewhat local, and I thought it would be nice if the bathrooms were clean for the kick-off party.

Ahh Chelone, I had much the same experience when I was sitting on the floor Sunday trying to organize computer wires- the dust bunny population is thriving. How does one end up with compost under the sofa ? Its nice to think about the deck canopy this year knowing Ive sat under it ..a much better visual and appreciation for the installation effort goes along with the in person memory.

Saucy, I salute you for being able to run off to Maine and leave the garden helpers unsupervised ! Im so glad to hear that you saw progress on your return..I hope things continue to unfold there..along with the photo documentation of course.

Woody, love the view from the roof, it really shows off the design well ..and it wouldnt be spring without your driveway vegetable garden making an appearance. I wonder if Deanne will do a veggie container again this year ?

So Cindy, I wonder were I to put earplugs in at the awfice if it would muffle the phone so I would never have to answer it ? Id get so much more done !

Denise, I think Im going to try to hit one of the plant sales at UC Santa Cruz this year. I havent been to that garden since the early 80s and remember very little if anything about it. I do know that they have a very nice collection of South African and Australian plants.

Ok , time to do a bit of WALATing..waves to all.

Kathy in Napa

o

I am so excited about IU this year, Kathy. Yesterday my boss and I were discussing the Strawberry Festival and how she had a wedding to do (she's a florist, too) and how she really wanted to be there to make a presence. I said that I would go in her place...when was it? Oh. June 24? I'll be in Napa :)

I have taken to wearing headphones in the garden - with music! I had never thought of this before. It is very pleasant. Ray Lamontagne is what has been stuck on play lately.

Glad to know the canopy is up for enjoyment. I agree with Kathy...makes it more fun to hear once you've sat under it with all your garden friends!

We got rain overnight, but I'm not sure that it was the big rain they predicted. Hopefully we'll get more as the day goes on. We need it here.

I will take pictures as soon as I can...but I don't know if anyone but me would be able to see progress. I do enjoy it there, though. It is a peaceful place to be with birds swooping in to grab worms from the wooded area behind the garden. No mosquitoes still.

We're off to buy more annuals for Saturday.

Saucy

o

Quick fly by comment....

Kathy - only a gardener would think of seeing compost under a sofa.............

This has got to be the chilliest, coolest May I can recall -- I had to dig out turtlenecks (like Kathy) this a.m. because I was so durned cold - it will go nicely w/ the earplugs of the day (and yes, I seem to be failing to catch the phone -- o dear... but I did offer to go home instead of the earplugs).

-cindy

o

Fly by post here too. Busy day moving/planting things and a few wisteria portraits:

Taking a break:

Purple prince :-)

Purple princess?!

o

Nice touch with the Wisteria garb Woody..more shopping may be called for so that you and Randy have matching outfits for the Clems.The hatband in pic 1 must match something !

Kathy in Napa

o

What a beautiful day to have free for working in the garden! Most purchases have been planted but Im still indecisive on location for a few. The tree in the backyard has grown so the full sun area now has moving shade. Definitely more pleasant than the relentless blazing sun, however, I hope its enough for the perennials requiring a minimum of 6 hours. This is the first year for many of them in the shrub border so it will be an experimental year.

Kathy, youve done such thorough research for IUyou could do a garden travelogue with the excellent photography. What a great job that would be, driving up and down the coast looking at beautiful gardens!
Do you have a final count of all Idylls able to attend this year? What a fun trip that will be!

Drema, loved the Texas photos! Is that you with the red hair and swishy handkerchief skirt singing with the band, lol?

So happy to hear youre getting a puppy, Cindy! After all the months of stress at the awfice a baby granddaughter, IU7 and a new puppy are just what you need. Are you thinking of puppy names already?

Denise, did you decide on a color? I took it to mean the house exterior, maybe because were having ours done this year. I told DH it would have to wait until the fall though, dont want the foundation plantings trampled early in the season. If DH were painting, I could supervise (nag) but I dislike having to supervise (nag) workmen. To be fair they are concentrating on doing the job right, not necessarily where they stand.

Woody, I think of you whenever clems and roses are posted but first and foremost is that purple wisteria! How very fitting you both have purple shirts to echo the color.

There have been no further beaver sightings. I dont think Ill get that vindication, Saucy. Interestingly, the other day I saw a utility guy out there walking in back of the shade garden. I trotted out thinking we had a issue with cable or power lines but he said they were cleaning the storm drains and one ran underground along our back property line with a grate in the yard 3 houses down. I know grates are along the street but didnt know there would be any on private property. There was a big motor rumbling on the street behind us and apparently they hook up a huge pump that is capable of either flushing or vacuuming out debris and "all kinds of other stuff." Hmmm, like what? Well, like "trash, keys, jewelry, toys, moneyan occasional snake, rabbit or possum." Oh, so badly I wanted to ask"how about a beaver?" But I did not. Not having that conversation again. Nope. And I figured he would have mentioned a beaver if one had been seen or reported. However, I feel certain that storm drain is relevant in some way to the beaver being here. I can live with that.

Mary, Marian, Martiemuch missed!

A friend sent me a good many of these cat photos. Ill do several each post and I promise youll laugh out loud even if youve seen them before!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Waving to all...

Candy

o

The weather here has warmed quite a lot. I believe it was around 80 today.

Compost have I mentioned Kenzies fascination with it this spring? Dont try to throw anything away that can be composted. She will let you know how important it is to the garden. Another thing Ive noticed about her is when we are out cutting flowers she will look at a grouping and immediately pick out the most pristine bloom in the bunch. The girls got an eye.

Chelone, I added the little birds for lack of anything else to put in with the mini hostas, but your right it needs something more substantial. Ill have to keep an eye out.

Denise, Im glad that all ended well with your neighbors. They are fortunate to have you and Marty for their neighbors.

Cyn, I checked out the Kenzie hosta. I dont think Im tempted. I have bought clematis Laura and phlox Laura because of my DD, Ive refrained from hemerocallis Jeremy It has to be a great plant as well.

Cindy, what fun that you and Cynthia could get together.

Woody, I think the Prince and Princess need a shot together what fun those are.

Rick helped me haul the remainder of plants from the basement tonight. Hopefully, now that they are outdoors they will perk up. Many are pretty sad looking.

Im getting sleepy Id best go.

Michelle

o

Today we are predicting high temperatures around the 83F mark, the highest so far this Spring. It will also be a gardening day. :) It certainly has been an odd mix of weather conditions. It will be too hot for transplanting young plants from the "ghetto" area though. I think I'll be doing that Friday evening as the weekend is supposed to be rainy.

Yesterday as I was driving around doing errands (plant stakes, garden twine, basil plants) I decided to switch the radio to a classical music station. The announcer was saying this: "The only Spring you can rely on is Vivaldi's" and that gave me a chuckle...and some fun listening.

Candy, I thought I was the only nut case who timed house painting around plant survival season...I asked to take the risk of being the last one of the season that year and it worked! They finished before the snows began.

Michelle, I love reading your Kenzie observations as the little lady grows. Ivy is only one now, but she certainly has personality! She squeals and babbles with delight, although on the phone it sounds like she is being murdered at times. Last night she was eating tortellini while her Mom managed to call me, but Ivy managed to disconnect the phone. She did NOT want Mom distracted from giving her 100% of her attention.

Skyler has started a most disagreable habit of evaluating each week he spends at his Dad's house. "This week wasn't any fun here" for example. It makes me wonder if he reports the activities back to Mom or what is going on. Of course the problem is that he only gets "consequences" at their home for his behavior. In any case, DD finally told him that it was entirely up to him how the week went, that it was his outlook that determined whether things were tedious or fun. She's really sick of him trying to make things a competition between households. And I agree that there are good things to learn from following ordinary routines...and that includes "consequences"!

I'm a bit worried that I'll need to water some things before the sun beats down today, so off I go. Do enjoy your day...We have a long weekend coming up to honour Queen Victoria.
'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: May Long Weekend

o

Guess what? It's raining. LOL. Supposed to be the last day for a few now. The temps are supposed to climb way up so the humidity will be bad. Yesterday while weeding in the dampness the biting bugs were getting bad. It's always something isn't it?

Woody cute pictures of you and Randy. You need to frame those for your sitting area so you can enjoy the wistera year round.

Michelle, its so nice that you are getting to enjoy Kenzie in the garden this spring. I imagine your DD misses her terribly though.

Bug, I was having those far out dreams before awakeing this morning and I was at your DD's house with her and Ivy and DSIL said something to her that really ticked her off so he was doing silly things trying to get back on her good side. Crazy! The other dream involved farmers from our previous neighborhood. I must have been very deep in the recesses of my mind. LOL

Candy good to hear you had a good day to work in the garden. Cute cat pictures. Keep them coming.

Cindy, How trying to have to work in such a noisy enviornment. Babies and puppies Oh My! Such fun it will be.

Soon all our gardens will be in full bloom. Time is going swiftly here. and time for me to get going.

Waving. Norma

o

Well geeezmy afternoon plans have been foiled by unexpected rain. Moved in early instead of tonight so digging out the lilac will have to wait. The lilac was the first "bones" in what eventually became my shrub border along the property line. Ill lose a bit of height but it had awkward form from the get go. Last week I decided why should I take out the older branches to encourage lower growth at the bottom every year when I dont even like it? The new Blueberry Muffin viburnum will have to sit on the patio until the ground dries out again.

Guess its a good day to clean house and focus on things Ive put off or give low priority just because I dont want to do them, lol. Naturally it seemed a good time to Idyll so "here I is" in the words of a 2 year old DS. Now hes older but, still being cute as was evident in the email he sent me this morning. "Seen anything weird out in the shade garden lately, Mom?" The reply I shot back was "nothing other than a capybara, son." I'm sure this will be referred to as the year of the beaver in family lore.

Michelle, thats so neat Kenzie is showing such interest in composting! Thirty years from now, shell be telling people shes gardened all her life thanks to her wonderful grandma. What a gift youre giving her in more ways than one.

Bug, very wise of DD to turn Skylers comment back to his own attitude. We all have consequences to face in life and he should be no exception. Hes at the age where hell be quite willing to see what buttons he can effectively push on the parental issues. Your DD is so level headed she probably knows hes just testing her reaction. He will grow up to have the greatest admiration for herand likely does right now in a grudging, half formed sort of kid perspective.

Alright Idylls, time to go in and cut up a fresh pineapple for tonights fruit salad. I love it and its so good for you, too. Fiber andwhat am I trying to recall?high in potassium, I believe. Some Ill chunk to go with the strawberries and blueberries and also cut a few spears for snacking. Hope its a good one, sweet and juicy, mmmh!

Oh, and a few more cat pix! Norma, glad you like them because several of them made me think of Niki!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Later!
Candy

o

Thoughts:

I hate dogs (as you know). But even after the experience of the first 3 I have managed to cope with our fourth canine unit. (take note, Cindy).

Woody, your coordinated apparel is wonderful. But not nearly as wonderful as your hair. I'm not kidding, I think your hair looks terrific short. And it looks like you have plenty of it! I particularly like the contemplative nature of the first shot (I like the hat, too). Every time I catch a glimpse of Wisteria on my "rounds" I think of you.

Denise, I was so thankful Mum never "wandered". That was one bullet I managed to miss. There have been some dreadful new stories of elderly people wandering off in the winter and dying of exposure... breaks my heart. I applaud Martie's pragmatic approach to searching, though anything less would leave me stunned, frankly! I recently restitched and rehabbed a dodger from a canvas shop in Long Beach. I thought of you both. Loved the furniture link, too... just my sort of project.

Am not completely clear on Kenzie's status, Michelle. Is she living with you while all the trash gets sorted? If so, she is indeed in the most perfect place ever. I am not the least surprised that all the gardening/soil building/reuse stuff has taken root. And I'm thankful, frankly... heaven knows we need bright, inquisitive, and understanding minds to sort through the muddle we're leaving them. Even though I hate kids...

Candy's cat shots pleased me... save the last one. What a dreadful looking "cat"! doesn't even look like a cat to me. There is no muzzle, and the eyes are nothing but round googley things... ick. I wouldn't want a cat that looked like that and I damn sure wouldn't pay money for something so clearly inbred and downright "defective". Still, Candy, don't be hurt... I very much like the sentiment and loved the first two shots.

Skyler probably is "tattling". So what? one day he will appreciate the loving home where "consequences" where part of life, but that may be a long time off... when real life hands him the stern reminder that consequences lurk everywhere.

Nice to hear that Cynthia (greyhound Cynthia) is well and still gardening with abandon. My old Juki machine is now used to make martingale collars for retired Greys, by the way.

o

Chelone, Kenzie isn't living with us she is here in IA with her dad at the moment. She has spent some weekends here and will again this weekend.

I plan to pick both her and my mom on Sat., tour a garden, shop for plants and go to lunch. Belated birthday lunch for my mom. My mom's brother died on her birthday so the week's plans changed with the funeral and all the family stuff.

Later
Michelle

o

The cat in the baking dish is priceless. I have always "had a thing" for orange kitties. So did my father.

Gee, Michelle, I'm sorry to learn of your uncle's death, your Mom must be terribly sad. But I'm sure you will make the best of a sad situation and doubtless the antics of Kenzie will bring a smile or two, too.

What a fortunate little girl she is to have such a loving family. Would that all kids had the same...

o

I think this has been one of the coolest Mays I can remember here-last night it was in the high 30s and the vineyard wind machines had kicked on. I would have no objection if June were cool too, nice for garden touring ! Our June Gloom can always be counted on for part of the month- the marine layer rolls in and its overcast mornings and sunny afternoons.

Candy, I so enjoyed the cat pics as I ate lunch at my desk at the awfice today, a nice respite ! I do believe the Spaz Attack wins my best of set award. The body count for IU looks to be about 13 right now, last minute deletions or additions are always possible. Im about ready to stop tweaking the itinerary and call it good.

Michelle, nice for you that Kenzie can enjoy her garden this spring- sometimes the other side of the family gets left out in these types of situations. I hope you can continue to provide support and stability this spring and beyond. How are those pillars coming ?

And I am reminded of the discussion we had this winter of documenting an area of our gardens in all seasonshope all of you have the cameras ready for the spring photo op !

Time for some baseball. Later friends !

Kathy in Napa

o

Definitely NOT 30 F here! We had 29C (84F) today. Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler and overcast. The zucchini, tomatoes and eggplants were planted this evening. Perhaps tomorrow the basil, beets and chard will go in? I hope so. It's so hard to decide what to attack next. Weeding, edging, pruning, planting and watering...it all needs to get done!!! Today I had to cut down my smoke bush which was killed by cold & changing temperatures. It is sprouting from the base, so I'll see how that goes, but I definitely miss it! Two of my young cercis died as well but the third on has a healthy stem so there is still hope for it. It is so odd how things die off that shouldn't yet things that are "iffy" sometimes survive really well.

Skyler's "consequences" these days have been writing out lines. Twenty times, for poking his face in Ivy's in her car seat: dangerous and an invasion of space. Then 40 times for repeating the offense once again. His writing is improving and he is proud of that! OY!

DD sent this about Ivy:
When Ivy was about 10.5mo we were at a friends house and she was crawling around. She found some paper and a marker. She picked it up (almost properly) and started drawing on the piece of paper! I was completely surprised!

Since then, if you leave a pencil/pen/marker and anything resembling paper (map/ book/grocery list/magazine) within her reach, you are bound to find her trying to draw on it.

DH even brought out a small standing chalk board
with different coloured chalks and she draws on it.

Ive never been big into colouring or drawing, but DH is. I tell him that hes got his little artist!

I'm tired and aching, so to bed!

(As to the cats, I love the boxed one and the lasagna cat too.)
'bug

o

I always taped down a piece of paper to the high chair tray, GB. That kept my daughter very busy. Both my kids draw a lot to this day. Jake sadly gave it up when he got to high school and compared himself to others...I hope he'll still use it in life, though.

Today I need to do a little write up for all the heirloom tomatoes that we have to sell. People won't buy them if they don't know what they'll be like.

I need to do some work on my photography class (and that'd be a good time to take GG picutes!). It will be our final class this week.

Hopefully I will get into the welding class, next. It is a hard class to get in to! Very popular.

Okay...time to look up some tomatoes!

Saucy

o

Saucy, you should photograph each variety of tomato for next year's sale. You probably could even sell the framed photos as well!

I'm on my way outside again.
'bug

o

o

Pink for Cindy's special day!

o

o

A quick post before I run out and pop a few hostas out of the ground. Were making an impulsive trip up to see DS this weekend and help with some patio landscaping at his condo. No in ground landscaping allowed but I have extra pots and well check out other plants at nurseries in his area. He and DH will do a sporting event while I have full reign on the patio redowoohoo!

Saucy, the GG must have been before I arriveddo you have urns, pillars or statuary? Im anxiously awaiting pictures, it sounds interesting! Bug is right, you should do some tomato photos and sell the printsexcellent idea. And you know, there are some very avid growers who take tomatoes to a serious level.

Kathy, make sure you remind those lucky Idylls to take tons of photos at IU7! As acting hostess it might not be possible for you to do as much photography. Last year, I stumbled into Idylland soon after IU6 and you directed me to the posts covering the trip and they were wonderful, of course. Several times Ive thought to do a search for the previous year but, holy canoli, I can barely keep up with current Idyll posts let alone do any back reading!

Michelle, sorry to hear your family had a rough week what with your uncle passing right on your mothers birthday. Wishing you a much better weekend, which its sure to be with Kenzie there.

Cindy, hope your day is full of good things and...

Photobucket

Chelone, Ive got a couple more orange kitties for you coming up. That poor white fluff ball reminded me of a bat face. Its so darn tiny and the angle of the photo just accentuates those unusual features. I must admit I have days where I identify with the sentiment, perfectly.

Norma? This is one of my favorites. There's something about the posture and "look" that reminds me of Niki, lol.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Must get moving here, have a great garden weekend everbody!

Candy

o

Candy, I love Oh Bringer of Food. Cracks me up.

o
Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday Cindy!

Norma

o

Candy, it is the exterior we're painting, and Marty scrapes away this very moment. I'm thinking steely blues ("blue heron") for the siding, bluey-grey for the trim, and maybe some orangey-yellow punch for doors and accents. The basic idea is to find colors to work with all the brick -- brick entry, porch, and paths. Paint quarts bought for tryout since it may very well be hideous. Just got done pulling a zillion Mexican feather grass/stipa seedlings out of the parkway/hell strip. Love the look of the long strip of grasses waving down the hellstrip, with the sidewalk running between the grass and then the line of box hedges at our property line, but the grass might be too much to handle. Marty complains bitterly of all the chaff clinging to his clothing getting in and out of cars. Might replace it with helicotrichon. This hell strip will never find a solution, I fear.

Had my first Punjabi-interpreted depo couple days ago. Interpreter was a fascinating, accomplished woman who spoke 10, yes, ten languages and was certified to translate in five with the courts. Came home and my desktop computer had crashed during the day. These intermittent technical flameouts make me crazy. By the end of the day the new computer was bought and running and hopefully situation normal for a couple more years.

For the birthday girl, a new tetrapanax leaf. Happy birthday, Cindy!

Photobucket

o

From Garden 2010 Spring

Hope they went easy on you at the awfice today !

o

Woohoo - well, I just lost one post, so I'll make this one quick - Thanks sooo much, friends. These cards are the prettiest sights I've seen all day -- the awfice was grueling and no respite -- I musta been wicked in a previous life, I guess.

U guys rocks !!

I'll try back tomorrow after frolicing w/ DD & DSIL to a local antiques market (let's hope for a garden door??)

-cindy

o

o

I have to say we are having the most peculiar weather this spring..I awoke to frost on the roofs again this morning the temps warmed up fast as it was sunny and no wind, but they are dropping rapidly this afternoon, with wind and periodic little rain droplets. On the plus side, one can plant without fear of the new little fledglings enduring heat stroke. I put the turtlenecks away, only to drag them out again.
I took a chance and planted the basil forest this afternoon, the Dahlias have lived through the frosty morning just fine and so the basil should prevail.

I am casting a thumbs up vote for the potential color scheme at chez Denise..My hell strip has undergone numerous transformations through the years-when we moved here it was full of really sad looking Fragaria . I dont even remember what was there before the current stuff. Seeking more garden space, I made it part of the front garden. The soil still needs more work-it was dreadful and pure hell to dig.

The most recent rain episode seems to have passed over, so I will WALAT making a nursery list for tomorrow. How can I possibly need more plants ?

Kathy in Napa

o

82 and extremely windy have I ever mentioned I hate wind? I picked up Kenzie and my parents and we went to a womans garden that sells lots of plants for a non-profit group. She has a lovely woodland garden. It reminds me a lot of bugs flats. So you can buy plants and walk through the gardens. There are a number of volunteers that work the plant sale, but the gardens owner is about sometimes. As she walked back to her house Kenzie ran up to her and told her she had a beautiful garden. The owner got such a kick out of that. Kenzie picked out some annuals for her garden. I got some bacopa, a pink iris and some Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola since it grows much too slow for me to divide the clump I have. We picked flowers, picked up rocks in the field with Rick and hunted asparagus to fill the remainder of the day. Dinnner was grilled chicken and sweet corn, which thrilled the little squirt to no end.

One other thing I got a kick out of was at the restaurant when the waitress asked Kenzie if she could take her plate. Her response was "yes, thank you" The waitress got the biggest smile.

I have tomatoes and other things sitting about waiting to be planted but I'll have to wait for the wind to die down, which is supposed to be tomorrow.

Denise, you just never know what you will encounter in your work do you?

Candy, the patio-scaping sounds like a fun thing to do for your DS.

bug, it sounds like Ivy is a budding artist. My DD did the high chair paper-taping thing too and I was amazed that I had never thought of that.

Woody, Im envious of your trillium.

Good night

Michelle

o

It is a humid misty morning. I'm hoping to get some more weeding accomplished, but there are visitors coming at various times today, so I'm not sure what will happen.

Last night was the fish fry in town. The fish part was excellent, but the rest...well, not great from my point of view. Never before have I had a baked potato that I didn't like!

I have some mighty nasty mosquito bites, so today I'll have to use bug spray. UGH! My outdoor work must be on the fairly strenuous side as my body has its aches...but it is nice to see things improve. This week a friend who is a master gardener will be coming for a visit, so I need to get some edging done at least....

The vegetable garden...

Reed's Garden slow to start...

Area between house and garage...

One of the island beds

A good year for columbine!

I'd rather like it if Ivy enjoyed art work. My grandfather was a portrait painter among other things. My sister and I both enjoyed water color painting at one point, though neither of us paints any longer. (I've even given up painting walls! At some point I think I deserve to have someone do this for me! I've painted every room and wall from attic to basement in every home I've lived in!)

The cats have been wild since 5am. Sheesh!

'bug

o

Quickie question for my virtual friends; I have rather a lot of tall phlox (white) and it's already up to 15-18". I've never pinched it back before, though I've read you can do that. Do you pinch it back and if you do, is it too late for me to do so right now?

Mosquitos are getting rather thick around here, too, 'bug. And since it's still and foggy this morning I will be sporting eau d'Off, too. I hate the stuff. I've also noted an increase in ticks this year... but not the nasty deer ticks, this time it's the good ol' wood tick. I've only had one that "fixin' to have a meal" on me, the rest have been "walkers". I hate the damn things.

My experience with kids has been that those who have gentle home and spend a lot of time with real "grown ups" are invariably polite and well received by child haters (like me). Good work, Michelle; bet your day was a lot of fun.

I really want to have an orange kitty (two?) now. Thanks a heap, Candy.

Busy day ahead of me, so I'd best get to it. All the inside chores are finished so it's time to find the Off! .

(yes, I like the sounds of Denise's color scheme, too. Very "Californian". I'm considering repainting the bahn doors... this time in OIL paint and possibly in black.)

o

I've never pinched back phlox Chelone. I do cut back large sedums, always before Father's day in June.

o

Ive never pinched Phlox either, but the excellent Tracy DiSabato-Aust tome on pruning and pinching techniques suggests they can be cut back by 1/2 in May through mid- June to create shorter bushier plants , and that this will delay blooming by 2 to 4 weeks.She gardens in Ohio. Off to the garden center I go !

Kathy in Napa

o

Weeds grow faster than I can dig them...OY! Two hours worth so far today... Planted the chard and tied up a few huge clematis as well.

Woody! Your Montana is looking gorgeous! Is that C.Rubens? What an amazing spring you are having!

Time for a shower....to remove that "eau d'Off".
'bug

o

Thanks for making the time to check that book, Kathy. I'm going for it! those suckers are going to get cut back today. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead and all that jazz.

I have just returned from 2 nurseries, in my thusfar fruitless search for Browallia. The owner of one said she'd had no requests for it at all and remarked that when she's had it she couldn't sell it because it looks so feeble at this early date. The guy at the second place said it had been on his order, but the order was incomplete and it was still on the wholesalers "available list". He suggested I call next Thursday. Today the "germamyums" go into the window boxes... "classic red" again this year.

I am thoroughly irritated with the paint job on the bahn doors. Regulations now prohibit the sale of high gloss oil enamel paint in all but VT (I believe) and I was forced to buy the latest offering by Ben. Moore in fall 2007 when I painted the doors (a "high gloss" latex enamel). Yeah, right! the gloss was piss-poor from day one, and the paint is now beginning to chip away at the juncture points of the bahn doors, it began failing on the fibreglass "moulding" on the side doors in under one year. Less than 3 yrs. durability is NOT remotely acceptable to me. I know how to paint properly and I didn't skimp on the prep. work! The paint was expensive, the finish lackluster, and the durability is in the toilet. I am thoroughly irritated and plan to complain loudly to the store where I bought it, after I give corporate headquarters an earful. I will be polite, but if they think that product is remotely acceptable in the application for which it's touted they're doomed to be disappointed. I highly doubt I'm the only "underwhelmed" and irritated homeowner, or professional painter, for that matter. Hrrmmmph.

We received word last week that the widow of the helpmeet's cousin was involved in a very serious car accident and has sustained a very serious hip injury. They've patched her up as best they could in the hope that the repair job will make it possible for her to have a total hip replacement in the future. How did it happen? she was on her cell 'phone, and crying, all as she was attempting to drive her car! The occupants of the other vehicle were seriously injured, too. I feel awful for her, but why talking on a cell phone in a moving vehicle is not against the law completely defies all logic.

And all that brings me to the sad realization that every single one of us does something silly every single day; something could carry with it unforeseen and unintended consequences. And in that moment's inattention we are possible victims of some unimaginable tragedy. I am reminded of little Reed... so, please, please do your level best to "safen up" my virtual friends. To quote the "Car Talk" guys, "hang up and drive".

o

Black will look stunning Chelone, but really with Benny Moores reputation (and price) you would think the quality would absolutely be there. Ive tried more than once to set up my company as a Benny dealer and they will barely talk to me ..sounds like they are resting on their laurels and are not up to some of the environmental standards of the last decade. Here in California the mystical land- it is not legal to talk on the cell phone unless you have a hands free device, blue tooth or the like. I have never felt comfortable talking on the phone while driving, and either pull over or just dont answer. I wonder what our minds perceive as the difference between talking to a passenger in the car and talking to someone on the phone? I find it very radically different dont know why. The law here by the way is often ignored.

I have had a grey squirrel visit my garden off and on the last month or two. I remembered Edens friend (Tim,right ?) and so this morning I placed some peanuts on the ledge of the fence. As long as he causes no garden destruction he is welcome to visit.

bug, I am very taken with your 1st photo on the moments thread this week-such wonderful jewel tones !

I decidedI was not going to go anywhere this weekend, no garden previews or test drives ; my own garden needed some quality time . I got lots done , thanks to a list that I actually adhered too with minimal wanderings off task. I am taking 4 days for Memorial weekend and will use one to do a final test drive .

bug , I can see the Delphiniums growing in your photo ! Im enjoying a really nice season this year with mine, but they wont compare with yours..looking forward to photos.

All for me my friends,

Kathy in Napa

o

I am a devoted pincher of Phlox "David"! I was sure I learned that trick here :) Maybe Deanne? I also pinch back the sedums, but they're getting the boot this year for better upright varieties. No matter how much I pinch, they still lay flat by September.

Cindy, I have been trying to upload a birthday picture and can't seem to get the job done, so I want to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday and have you imagine a beautiful tree peony in pink.

I am done with a two day plant sale that totaled 13K. I think 10% of that went to advertising, and the plant bill will still have to be paid, but still a great number (we doubled last year's figures). I sold my heart out. My help was appreciated, too, and that is the most important part.

Today I plan to plant containers and putz around. No picking up flats of anything or standing on my feet for too long.

Saucy

o

8AM- and I am eating breakfast at the keyboard: a pear, a small square of cheddar and a very few peanuts. This is my reward for rising early on a holiday and setting up the sprinkler for the clematis arbor, then later for the blue and yellow garden. We are expecting 87F today. (Not what I enjoy most when it is humid.) I tied up a clematis, then began digging a hole near the barn for a new clematis. I found mostly rocks so will need to work there again later. Then I spent 15 minutes on the treadmill. Just as i was about to finish, DH called me outdoors. He had seen a kangaroo! Sorry Candy, but I told him it may have been a jack rabbit. He's now studying rabbits in our wildlife book... Phoebe was MOST interested! Yesterday I saw a very long garter snake, the longest I've ever seen. We were both surprised to see each other!

Not sure how the day will unfold here, but hope it is special for all of YOU !

(That means Marian, Mary, and all those busy folk who are absent these days...)
'bug

Purple Spider

Old mystery white clematis

o

Morning all,

A very hot day is expected here as well. The plants dont know what to make of this yo-yo temp spring. Bug, cant believe you had 24 degrees just a little while ago and now are expecting 87. Yikes, dreadful. Supposed to be very hot here 90s plus for the next few days. I guess it is time to have my hose end implanted on the end of my right arm for the season. Doug is making noises about getting a quote for a sprinkler system. That would be heaven for me!!!! We have a family of White-breasted Nuthatches in the little bird house in the back next to the shed garden and the little chirps coming from it are so cute. I cant wait to see the youngsters.

Im a confirmed pincher of phlox and sedum not to mention asters , mums etc. etc. There are a couple sedums in the driveway garden I stake instead of pinch because I want the height from the Matrona and Purple Emperor in that garden. Chelone, now or anytime in the next week or two is a good time to pinch the phlox

Saucy, how very fantastic you were so successful with your plant sale! Congratulations! Ill bet you are one tired lady today. Take it easy and enjoy the day.

Kathy, did you have a productive weekend in your garden? Would love some more photos of your roses? I should try to find Sally Holmes again. I used to grow her here and loved her. Had her paired with Ville de Lyon and the combo was beautiful.

Bug, so many beautiful photos of your gardens.

Michelle, bummer about the wind, I absolutely HATE it too. ~ So happy you are getting time with Kenzie. Sounds like you had a great time.

Denise, cant wait to see the new colors. Sounds beautiful!

Candy I had to LOL about pop a few hostas out of the ground. Im hoping you are talking about the smaller varieties and not S&S.

Here are a few pics from yesterday

A couple of my Home Depot caladium tubers. They are huge!

Have a great day everyone!!!!

Deanne

o

Mon, May 24, 10 at 9:25

Good Morning all! A long weekend for us all it seems. One thing about retirement - the word "week-end" does lose some of its signifigance *LOL*

First, Happy Birthday Cindy! I realize that I have to get on the ball here with photos!

And speaking of, the cats are so cute Candy. But (sorry Chelone) I fear that I am turning into a dog person....although you can't beat cats for expression!

Oh Deanne, you are SO ready for the garden tour! Looks just gorgeous, and absolutley meticulous! Wouldn't a sprinkler system be fabulous? I tried the underground weeping hoses and cut the darn things in half every time I moved a plant!

I am glad to hear that you are having a good time with Kenzie, Michelle.

Hmmm, we will have weather like Bug today - my greatest exertion will be to pinch David!

I get it with paint, Chelone - I repainted the huge intricate porch and railings on our old Victorian every two years - drove me crazy. Finally I was able to scrape everything off, put on two coats of oil-based primer, and finish with two coats of high gloss exterior latex. Did that seven years ago and last time I saw it it still looked pretty good. The guy at the Orange told me the trick was the two coats of oil-based primer...

And speaking of silly accidents - well, you know how cozy my rigid neck brace is in this weather. There was great hilarity here the other day however; I was telling everyone about sitting on Chelone's enormous deck with the canopy, and that triggered the bendy-straw mnemories. I rushed to the kitchen for a straw to demonstrate to eight year GS, put the business end in my pit - and couldn't bend my neck far enough to complete the show! You can imagine the laughs we had!

I so wish I was seeing you all again California! Kathy, you are a gem to be organizing this.

We can't legally drive and use a hand-held phone here either. And of course nobody obeys the law anyway. (Ecept DD who cariies on hour long converstions on her hads-free while she commutes to work). I do wish she would shut up and drive.....

Way to go Saucy! You must be dog-tired! Don't fall out of bed *LOL*

Love the clems Bug. Was going to ask whaat the white one was beofre I read the caption. I have huge multi-blues in bloom right now - early for me! and gardens are recovering from the crazy frost and winds of two weeks ago....although I may have lost my Gingko, whose little tiny leaves froze off . I hope it will rebud...

Have a wonderful holiday everyone!

Cheers,

Julie

o

OOOH La la! Did Doug make your new trellis Deanne? Must be for clematis. Which ones??? And have you painted the shed? The trim is softer colored than I remember. I like it! And for some reason I especially noticed the yellow iris planted among the hostas and heucheras. What a sweet touch that is!

And by the way, the story gets stranger and stranger. DH has NOT been drinking! He says the "kangaroo" was as high as his waist, had three (of four) paws on the ground. Our book shows no rabbits of this size in our part of the world...

Julie...I can't imagine a neck brace at all, but certainly not in this weather! I know, it is a must, but UGH!

The sprinkler needs a rest I think. Especially around noon in full sun!

Later
'bug

o

What is going on with the wildlife sightings on the idylls this spring? It's like the X-Files (we've been watching reruns.) I hear armadillos are heading northward but kangaroos? And the wild temp fluctuations seem very unusual too.

Beautiful trellis, Deanne. And the neat edgings, wow!

Saucy, what a great plant sale. You deserve a day of puttering.

Michelle, what a little garden buddy Kenzie is turning into. I know everything's upside down at the moment, but the up side is you're seeing more of her...and then we get to hear more about her too. What a charmer she is.

We've stepped up in price to Benny Moore this time too, but Chelone's experience isn't reassuring. Last time we used Dunn Edwards, also supposedly reputable paint, and not cheap. Everyone keeps asking, Didn't you just paint your house? Just doesn't last anymore. We did a paint color test today, and 2 out of 4 colors may be keepers.

Julie, I can't imagine having to keep fresh paint on a Victorian.

The gardens are all looking lush. We've been having loads of wind here too, but temps are still mild.

Waving to all.

o

Kangaroo!...I understand completely, 'bug.

First, did he see the really long tail? That's critical for balance, I think. Second, are there any residents of your town that are rumored to keep exotic pets? Any educational or entertainment special events going on in your vicinity that feature animals?

I'm sure you've googled images for jack rabbits. No time to Idyll now, just came in for a quick read so tell DH until otherwise proven wrong, I believe he saw a kangaroo. I mean...how could I (of all people) NOT?

Back later!

o

Perhaps a wallaby? Jack rabbit seems like the obvious choice if it had no tail (as Candy pointed out).

o

Ive been chased indoors by the wind. Seriously its 93 and winds 30-45 mph. Its downright ugly. Hopefully, the weatherman is correct and it dies down tomorrow and maybe we will get some rain out of this. Things dry out fast in these conditions. I tried to run the sprinkler but its too hard to control the direction of the water because of the wind. Ive got so much Id like to do. Im glad Im not having a garden tour like Deanne Id be crazed.

Of course my one tree peony opened most of its buds today. They wont be as pristine as they should be but they are still quite lovely. This is the most blooms Ive had yet from it.

Deanne, in your own words fabu, fabu!!!

bug, Im sure your MG friend will be impressed with this years garden. I sure am!

I guess Id better venture out. One of the finch feeders has broken the thin wire I use to keep them from blowing in the wind and is hitting the window. Im sure the finches are getting a bit nauseous trying to eat with all that swinging going on. They do try though.

Michelle

o

Good morning all,

Well we are in for a 90 degree day here so Im hoping to be able to do most of my work in the back yard this afternoon. My garden helper is coming over today and Ive a long list of things on the to do list for her today. On mine too! Im feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment with the work of getting all the containers planted a month sooner than I normally have them completed. June garden tours should be for folks with lots of peonies and iris! LOL

Julie I LOL over the bendy straw attempt. Cant imagine dealing with that neck brace in this hot weather.

Bug, my brother built the trellis for me. The center part was a Christmas present and I paid him to design and add the two wings for it. I have Betty Coring and Alionuska on it Betty was larger last year but we had to dig her up to get the trellis installed.

Denise, Id love to see some pics of your gardens right now. Looking forward to seeing the new paint job.

Michelle, so sorry about the hot wind! Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful! Cant imaging anything much worse other than hail. Hope that settles down soon.

One of my favorite spring combinations here, the Minitonka Rhododenndron and Globemaster Allium flower heads are the same shape and color and look so pretty together.

Have a great day all,
Deanne

o

Tue, May 25, 10 at 16:39

Wow! Welcome to the frozen North! As I type, my thermometer outside in the shade is reading a whopping 97 F! This is a May 25 record for us. And to think that two weeks ago I lost flower buds and Hostas to frost!

Of course my nice snug rigid foam filled collar is really comfy right now...

On the bright side, I dried two loads of laundry in four hours outside today - consecutively too. We do have central air so my temperature in the house is at 26C -around 70 F. I have spent all day indoors, and kept the pets in also, much to their dismay.

My clematis Durandii is wilting. although I soaked its roots and misted the leaves.

I have five little birds hot-footing it on my front garden rock as they wait to have a turn in the birdbath.

Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter.

Maybe will spend some time editing photos.

We will likely sleep downstairs tonight, quite a bit cooler there, and we have everything - t.v., computer, beds, bath...sounds good to me already!

I hope you're managing your pots o.k. Deanne - I know you are already freaking out about the upcoming garden tour!

And I don't think chickens like heat - hope that Mary and V are also managing, although I have no idea what your weather is like just now.

Cheers, all

Julie

o

33C or 91F here Julie! I've been pretty much indoors except for before 10am when I gardened, mowed, watered, walked the dog and ran errands. Yeah, laundry here too: washed the sheets I used to protect plants from frost not so long ago!
My "live plants" order arrived and fortunately the mailman can READ! He actually drove my package down the lane to the house instead of letting the plants roast in the mailbox! So those are parked in the shade now. I'm not risking planting anything in these temperatures.

I hope Mary is well and that it is only her computer that is ailing!!!!!

'bug

o

Deanne your gardens are so clean and neat.

Julie I believe you are hotter there than we are here. But it's still to darn hot for this time of year. We had a thunderstrom again last night . My daylillies should be great this year with all the rain. In April we were four inches under normal and now we are ahead. My hostas are maturing and some are getting quite large. How come I can never imagine how much room they will take up when I plant them. LOL

Yes I hope Mary is okay too.

Staying real busy here. But nothing exciting.

Keep hydrated everyone.

Norma

o

Greetings all -- how odd to hear of 90 degree weather in the frozen north and New England... here in the "south" as some folks consider my area, we had maybe 80 on Sat - torrents of rain for Sunday, 60s Monday and it's now starting to creep to the 80s again - with t-storms and perhaps high 80s predicted for thursday before a cold track again! I've been afraid to pull the agaves out yet for fear of too much rain and chill.... go figure. It sounds like Norma's weather and mine are similar...

Deanne -- o my - bestill my heart -- your gardens are just immaculate and stunning. I noted the trellis too - what fun, I've got both those clems too, but in different areas of the gardens...

My gardens this year are quite "blowsy" would be the best word -- things shot up and are wild and wooly already -- with the roses, peonies and clems kind of slimy and droopy from all the rain - such is life.

Saucy - that is quite incredible for a plant sale I think - I imagine your prices were reasonable, so that must have been a lot of plants -- good for you!

Chelone -- I pinch and cut back both my phlox and sedums too (w/ that adage of do it til June..) - I usually only manage on great lop and then let them go -- you can stagger the phlox - w/ short in front and tall unpinched in back per Tracy diSabato, which I do in certainly areas.. I usually pull up stems of phlox to open the whole plant up as well... but I do not stake sedums like Deanne -- they're on their own!

Interesting to hear about paints and how they're just not the same re longevity - probably has something to do with ingredients being banned or something, right?

-Cindy

o

Turtleneck weather descends again on the Napa Valleyrain all day, more on tap for tomorrow.Lol Norma, Im very hydrated thank you ! Hard to believe that my friends in Canada are sweltering ! This crappy weather is supposed to fly the coop for the long weekend though, good thing - I have a full gardening agenda planned, including a visit to garden center in Sonoma County and a possible IU garden preview.

I believe this is our first kangaroo sighting on the Idylls ? Lordy. I await the rhino at Saucys and the giraffe at the compound. I wonder what the Wrecking Crew would make of that ?

Kathy in Napa

o

I am sunburnt, scratched by chicken wire, dog-tired and so behind in garden and household chores that it just ain't funny, but . . .

The chickens have moved into their new coop and run, and all is well! We spent almost all of the last two weekends building the run and making the coop habitable - I'm so far behind in all other aspects of life I don't even want to think about it. But the chickens are thriving, all 34 of them. There's still work to be done on the coop, but we have a little more time to finish up the rest of the details.

We did have brutal heat here this weekend, but the girls handled it just fine. We left the eaves of the coop open (but wrapped in chicken wire) so there is good air circulation through the coop.

I'm so far behind here that I don't know what else to day. My DD is about halfway through her European adventure and is having a great time. She chats with me via Google about every other day, and about every four or five days she emails long dispatches to all the family, so we can keep in touch quite easily. I have to say that I don't think I would have dared to do some of what she is doing when I was her age.

V.

o

I really hesitate to post these in the same area where Deanne's immaculate and pristine garden photos exist -- is this letting it all hang out, LOL? --

VA Blowsiness:

Clems all mixed up -- Mdme Julie de Correvon, Romantika, Gravetye Beauty and a peek of Emlia Platter:

Betty Corning, Huldine & Lilies:

Cl Arabella (an Idyller fav) and Rosa Heritage:

The untamed side (ignore the grass knee high...)

--cindy

o

Ooo Cindy the clems are fabu ! As far as the 'untamed' look goes, really it can be charming, romantic , evocative..like southern literature. It's very compelling to me. I especially appreciate seeing photos of places where it is not raining, lol. Your lilies are weeks ahead of mine !

Kathy in Napa

o

Cindy, your garden is fabulous! I love the arches with all the clems. I know my garden is put to shame by some of its untidiness. I think we are all most critical of our own garden.

I'm at that point in the season where I'm stressing about what I should do first - plant seeds, plant wintersown plants, plant annuals, pot contianers or plant cannas etc.? I know it will calm down soon but I really need a few days off, but that's not going to happen this year.

It's not turtleneck weather here - Sunday and Monday were sprinkler weather. Upper 80's and lower 90's. Today was much cooler though. Very dry and with horrible wind on Sat. things have really dried out.

o

V, the 'girls' coop has lots of charm and everyone did a great job of building it. Are you going to paint or stain it? Thats what is great about the internet, You are able to stay in touch with DD.

Michelle I think we all get stressed for a few weeks this time of year when we get pulled in so many directions. There is just so much to be done.
Love Kenzie in the sprinker.

Cindy while Deannes garden is gorgeous. I love your style too. I would love to walk through it and discover things.
Your clems are lovely all entwined. My peonies didn't have a chance to bloom right this year. But thats the way it goes.

Well I logged on to look up something about Dalhias, so guess I better get it done.

Have a great day. Norma

o

WOW! Busy time posting in the evenings here these days.

Now would you look at that high class chicken dwelling! I guess it is appropriate for such aristocrats. I agree that computer contact with the kids is terrific. I think I never would have been able to raise our son without it! I'd not even know where he was...

Cindy, it's all a matter of vocabulary. "Blowsiness" is a quality I strive for. It is ideal for clematis and the "Country Look". After all, you could never fit a combine in the background of your photos! Now a little baby girl would look just fine there too...

Michelle, I share your garden anxiety. I guess others just don't see what we do. With our heat wave and dryness I am running about with the hose instead of planting and weeding and staking. I tried to edge some more last night in a tidy up effort in anticipation of weekend guests. Still need to come up with a menu- maybe a simple BBQ with hamburgers and salads.

DH is still working on our stove repair...waiting for parts from the US. No more kangaroo sightings. Got this email from him yesterday:
It's apparently a "European Hare" also called "Cape Hare", but called a Jack Rabbit.
Immigrant from Europe in 1893. Can hit 45 mph with 12 foot bounds. Claims to
be original Easter Bunny. Up to 20 pounds.

Not really a kangaroo.
Hunters like them.

OK, off to move the sprinkler and get DH out the door. Not sure what's next.
'bug
Blue Bird

o

Ooo La La...I love it when everyone posts pictures! I love the neatness of Deanne's and the romance of Cindy's (thank you for putting my finger on it, Kathy!). The chicken coop is certainly built to last...no second guessing the decision to raise chooks now :) Ivy is right as rain (Rayne) on the photo thread and your clematis are beautiful, GB...if I can ever get the hang of it, I'd like to try some of the more delicate varieties.

I took pictures of the GG this morning, perhaps later I'll have time to process. Jake is playing hooky with me this morning to have breakfast and go to the Registry to take the test for his driver's permit...then off to an orthodontist appointment. Busy day in this heat.

I love reading along in Idyll as we all garden our way through life. I feel a bit stressed, too. I think the heat brings on a sense of urgency. Next week looks a little cooler, and I am looking forward to that. Perhaps a to do list for the garden? That just seems wrong to me.

Happy Gardening!

Saucy

o

Good morning all,

We are going to have another really hot day today and Im not looking forward to working outside in the 90 degree temps. Im making headway with the containers and only have a few of the big ones left to do. The Hay Racks are filling in nicely and the heat has spurred the tropicals into some good early growth.

Cindy, I LOVE your garden, it looks like a Monet painting! So very, very beautiful with the arches and clematis. Wonderful! Those lilies look like Manhattan which are among my favorites. Mine have just begun to set buds and yours are in full bloom. And your Arabella is looking wonderful. What a great performer. Its perfect with that Heritage rose. ~~ LOL about my neat gardens. Its part of my OCD thing and guess what? I used to color in the lines as well. Sometimes I wish I could color outside the box but its foreign to my personality.

Michelle, love the pic with Kenzie in the sprinkler, so sweet. ~~ I so know about feeling stressed about just how much needs to be done in May. I like things better when I can putter about with the plants and not spend every day getting some major thing done. I only have a few big things left to do and MichelleD will be helping with those so hopefully Ill be ramping back to lighter maintenance tasks soon.

V. what a terrific job you did with the chicken coop! fantastic! Your girls are going to be so comfortable there. ~~ How neat that with the internet you can stay in touch with your DD. MJs son Jason graduated from UNH this year and he and his girlfriend are going to Europe as well. What a super opportunity.

Norma, Id sure love to see some more photos of your gardens and pond??? Your pond is so beautiful. Do you have waterlilies blooming yet?

Bug, that Bluebird is out of this world and into the next! gorgeous.

Saucy, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the GG, can you throw in pics of your containers too! I always love seeing what everone is doing with their container gardens.

Yesterday I finally planted the big hanging basket and have high hopes for it this year.

And I decided to plant the caladium in the square urn with some finely divided ivy. I normally plant tuberous begonias in this planter but have had no success with keeping them looking good throughout the season so am hoping for better things from these caladium. I originally wanted to use a fern with this but found the pretty small leaved ivy ad thought that would be just the thing.

OK must run, Doug is going to help me get the big hanger up the tree. Ill grab pics when it is in place

Have a great day

Deanne

o

Cindy! Making me drool on the keyboard is not nice! :-)

V - it looks like those chickens have a nice home.

GB - that fence and clematis is one of my favorite things. And look what came today - a little Snow Day:
It's small but sturdy-looking. I'll try not to kill it with benign neglect :-) Thank you again!

Too HOT here yesterday and today. I was planning to spend a lot of the day on the computer organizing photos but the glasses I use for the computer just fell apart as I cleaned them and I cannot get them back together - grrr...

o

Great to see all the photos while I finish my coffee this morning!

Vknew youd come through with a chicken update. Seeing how fantastic it looks, I can imagine the hours of work on such a major project! Glad your DD is enjoying her European jaunt, thats so reassuring to have regular contact when our kids are far away.

Cindy, your photos look wonderfully lush and inviting! So marvelous to see the diversity of Idyll gardens. Its that personal touch of plants, combinations and design that creates the magic!

Michelle, Kenzie by the sprinkler is a classic shot of kids and hot weather!

Ivy is adorable, her expressions are starting to reflect this new milestonefirst birthday and wanting to find out about everything she encounters. (I cant duplicate the cake but am seriously considering buying a Suzy Q for each hand and using her method to eat them)

Company and cookout this weekend - same here, bug!
Shop for container plants, annuals, experiment w/seeds - ditto
90 degrees and high humidity - affirmative
Dry helicopters - coming to life with a vengeance
Perennials still in pots - 7
Graduation parties - 2 this week
Birthday celebration - 1

Time to get underway addressing all the above. Guess I'd better wish everyone a safe and enjoyable weekend now since I'm already feeling the time crunch for Idylling.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Back indoors to enjoy Deanne's containers. Somehow you manage to make exquisite combos out of plants I thought I didn't like....Must be the added "Ivy"! I never liked coleus or caladium until you came into my life!

Woody, I certainly hope your Snow Day does magnificently! [I got one too! ;)] We'll have to see if it likes your zone best. Would a bandaid fix your glasses? That's what I've done on camping trips.

While waiting for GG photos, I was inside the barn with a giant bucket of glop...sifting it into a container of rocks and pebbles, another of broken glass, and another of soil. For once my plan worked! The barn is cool and Phoebe sat with me. :) Then I trimmed edges of the barn garden until the sun hit me. Will try to finish that in the evening once it cools down again.

Candy DH and I have been enjoying the pet photos. You're right about those helicopters. The trees are loaded with them this year!

Think I'll head out for some more top soil with my last $20 bill of the month!

o

Checking in quick from the awfice, so now time to comment. I thought I'd share a little of what's going on in my garden:
Lots of alliums in bloom right now.

Tree peony looking not quite as pretty as it should due to the heat and wind.

o

Well Michelle, you sent your heat and wind this way. it got up to 100.6 here today and it's windy as he - - out there. Stuff is drying out at light speed. Sometimes I feel like giving up. I'm pretty discouraged this afternoon as my Endless Summer Hydragea was completely wilted to the ground and is burned, the bearded iris are just ruined and on and on. I splurged and bought myself a new fuchsia and I dont think it's going to make it. Completely wilted and it was watered this AM. They just don't do 100 degrees well.

Anyway, done with vent, your gardens are looking marvelous. That tree peony is stunning! I can't imagine how it would look better. covered with blooms, how long has it been in its location?

Bug, I lol over you not liking coleus, Id forgotten that about you and I didnt know you didnt like caladium either. Too funny. Im getting more and more into plants with striking foliage. And yes, that pot definitely needed the ivy. I wish you could see it in the late afternoon, the leaves glow with the last sunlight of the day and are really beautiful. I was on the fence about planting those there until I saw the end of day show and that decided me.

Candy, love the ribbon pic, too funny!

Woody, too HOT here yesterday and today as well. The weather persons are now talking about us having 90s again over the weekend. Ugh!

OK time for dinner, have a great evening.
Deanne

PS the hanger is up on its bracket on the tree but I dont have the energy to go back outside so pics tomorrow.

o

Ill table all complaints about weatherweve usually had at least 1 heat wave here by now, but it seems my NE friends are getting the brunt of it. Im content with the cool temps and rain for the present.

I bought more plants today ! Im justifying my purchases though Im having IGGs(Important Garden Guests) in June. One must have things looking at least somewhat decent. This is a fabu excuse , right up there with having a wedding in your back yard.

Michelle, that yellow Tree Peony is to die for ! Ive always wanted one . I think my pink one is so puny and underperforming I has made me wary of adding another. Your garden always looks so pretty !

Well Deanne, I hope all your plants spring back after the heat. My area can be very marginal for fuchsias during the summer, they sure hate the heat. Ive started to try to collect varieties that seem a bit more tolerant , not to mention mite resistant.

Mighty nice digs for those chickens V !

I guess I better chime in with some pics here- it wasnt raining for once this evening so I got a couple to share.

This is a combo in the making, I'll post another in a couple weeks from the same view.

From Garden 2010 Spring

These are pics of my C. Cups and Saucers, planted with the Delphiniums ...ridiculously old-fashioned , requiring daily attention to staking, but I'm enjoying so much there will be a repeat performance next year.

From Garden 2010 Spring

From Garden 2010 Spring

From Garden 2010 Spring

Waves to all!

Kathy in Napa

o

Oh my Kathy! bravo! LOVE those C Cups and Saucers!!!! wonderful with those delphs. Such beauteous pics, thanks for the eye candy.

Re fuchsias and heat, they can usually tolerate a bit of 90's in July/August but this was too hot too fast and they are all seriously unhappy except for Beacon, Beacon Rosa and Lena. Those old varieties seem to be super tolerant of the heat. I can start you cuttings of those if you'd like. You can pick them up in the fall?

Cheers
Deanne

o

There's a wonderful moon tonight my friends! Look out your window!

DH (and Phoebe) helped me prune around my "orchard"...meaning the seven small apples I started from seed a few years back. Two are doing very well, the others are just alive. Then I gave them a soak. Still more edging and mowing needed before the weekend. I'm the one who is wilted here! Spent much of the day moving the sprinkler.

Tonight included a long conversation with DD about Skyler and his Mom. You can imagine... DD really needed to talk, especially since DSIL is out of town until the weekend.

Loving this photo heavy thread!
No hippo or muskox sightings today....
Time to wash off the bug spray!
'bug

o
No Moon tonight

No moon tonight Bug we are having a HUGE thunderstorm. Guess I'd better get off this computer!

Deanne

o

I see the moon right out my window.It is so bright it is illuminating the nearby clouds. We had wind but no rain a little while ago.
Sorry about your plants Deanne. Those sure are huge caladiums.

Off to bed for me,I plan to be more productive tomorrow.
N

o

OY Deanne! Sometimes I think the only solution here is a 10 acre geodesic dome to cover the whole garden!
Fingers crossed for you after all that work!!!!

o

I did notice the moon as I was in the garden until 9:30. I cut back 4 weigelas. I had serious die back on all of them this year. The only one that wintered well was 'My Monet' which is such a cute little shrub. I also moved the sprinkler around. Normally I never water until July or August.

Another Kenzie story for those who can stand it ;o) I had pulled up a bunch of snapdragons that have seeded all over her garden and thrown them on a pile. She saw it and said now I have my very own compost pile!

I just talked to my DS and he was telling me that his GF got to interview Garth Brooks and Tricia Yearwood. She was really excited about it.
Deanne, what a great caladium. I love that pot too. Bummer about the horrible heat - sorry! They are predicting a cool down next week into the 70's. Maybe that will head your well too.

Kathy, the cup and saucers are so fun! I grew the cup and saucer vine a few years ago (cobea scadens)

Thats it for now.

Michelle

o

I saw the moon and was thinking of you all.

I am thrilled to be considered an IGG.

We had hail when the storm came through, and I sat up in bed and said, "my banana!" and Nick said, "it'll grow back" so I went back to sleep. I'm afraid to look this morning.

My last photo class was a success with everyone producting great photos. The only thing I need to work on is using the tripod more often. And practicing composition...but I have the rest of my life to practice that :)

I took pictures of the GG and it doesn't look as good in pictures as I think it does in person...and I see all the work that needs to be done! Hopefully in the upcoming weeks I can spend some time there. I want to get the paths done this year, and Nick has said he'll help. We just need the weather to cooperate this year.

But the nice thing is...even though I see work, this garden makes me happy! The Goddesses are still in their winter lair :)

And here's a close up of all I did last year (almost none of this was there!)...and the schizophragma "moonlight" is actually climbing the tree!

And a pink tree peony for Cindy:

o

Good morning Idyllers,

Well it is 56 and overcast this AM and I can tell you that it feels wonderful to be cool after yesterdays 100 degrees. The thunder storms here didnt produce any hail or severe wind here but did some major damage in VT. They did bring about an inch of rain which was badly needed so I dont have to water today. What a relief! It just seems so wrong to be hauling hoses around in May. I guess we are all going through the same yo-yo weather and I dont imagine anyone is enjoying it much.

Saucy, love your GG, and especially love that combination with that nifty geranium. Very lovely. Cant wait to see the Goddesses back in their garden. ~~ Hope your banana survived the hail.

Michelle, why do you think your wigelas had so much winter damage? Any particular set of circumstances that caused it? So sorry, thats so disappointing. Mine are all in good shape this spring. ~~ That Caladium is White Queen and grew from tubers from Home Depot. Can you even imagine? Im really pleased with the results from all of the tubers I planted this spring. I put them on a shelf that had a light fixture directly beneath the trays so it heated the soil up. They are one of the few plants around here that had no problems with the temps yesterday. I find it so interesting that a plant that has such a fragile appearing leaf is immune to the heat. ~~ LOL about Kenzie being happy to have a compost pile! You are training her up right Grandma!

So Bug, did you get some rain last night? Hoping you did so you dont have to schlep hoses today.

Pic for the day, the tropical container garden is starting to fill in

Have a great day all
Deanne

o

Well Deanne, the sprinkler is very busy again today...I'm glad that things are better for you outdoors though!!!

Saucy, how super that Nick has volunteered to help you make paths in the GG! DH has helped with a few heavy tasks here and that assistance is soooo appreciated! This morning even a simple thing like untangling the hoses was a big relief. I did more edging for a couple of hours, but there's so much more to do. It is warming up though, so I'm not sure what the next tasks will be. I certainly cannot plant my ghetto collection in this heat.

Like Michelle, the alliums are thick with bloom. My baptisia is out, iris about to take off, and many early things are enjoying our 'summer' heat. I also have my pale yellow Claire de Lune peony in full bloom. Usually it opens around June 3rd.

o

Last night I was surrounded by hummingbirds in the garden. They were loving the columbine and dictamnus. I've never had so many at one time. The orioles and a brown thrasher entertained me with their songs. "The brown thrasher is known to be one of the best and most spectacular singers with the largest repertoire of songs of all North American birds. It is also a very shy bird so that the chance of people actually spotting the bird is smaller than that of hearing the bird sing. Some brown thrashers are very good mimics and even sing songs of other species of birds as part of their own songs." is a quote from a bird website.

Deanne, the tree peony is probably 4 years old. This is the best year so far for bloom. The bloooms were more fresh before the heat and wind, but still look pretty. I cut 2 and added them to lavendar iris, hosta and variegated columbine leaves in a vase. Oh, and the 2 delph spikes that broke off in the wind. I only have one delph these days and still didn't get it staked in time.

Your containers are amazing. They look so full already.

Saucy, how wonderful that the GG garden makes you happy. That's whats so great about gardening. Things are really filling in nicely.

'bug, love that peony. I'm partial to the singles.

Have a great day and hopefully we can all have the opportunity to enjoy our gardens today.
Michelle

o

So hard to check in - even in the evenings -- that knee high grass got its haircut last evening so it's not so dreadful looking in that garden anymore (altho more rain expected tonite, sheesh) -- thanks for kind words - I just try to look past all the undone work (& hope you and lurkers will too) and enjoy the color while it's there - and trying not to be in that panic mode we all are feeling -- too too much to do -- but what I was hoping to share -- the clematis do seem to be happy this year, even if the other things have issues - and I do love the color while they're happy. Even more have shot open -- Abundance, The Pres, Rooguchi, Etoile Violette, Prince Charles, Polish Spirit, Venosa Violacea and I think I might have the first blooms this year from Laura and a few others getting ready.

Kathy, it's hard to believe my area is ahead of yours - but I was astonished to see those lilies bursting forth - early for them this year -- I do think they are Manhattan after ogling them in your gardens for years, Deanne -- purchased a few years ago when you were kind enough to share their name -- I've also got some asiatic Ceres (double reds) that were only double one year and come back now, almost the same color - but always singles - go figure - so sometimes Im not sure which bunch is which...

Saucy - I love the GG and that grouping is lovely w/ the geranium phaeum samobar, etc. (one of my fav geraniums)...

'bug - you are so right about Deanne's containers and eye for combos -- I too would not have thought I ever would enjoy caladiums or "exotic" foliage - but Deanne puts them together so amazingly, they are stunning and then I start to think, gee, maybe I'd would like to have one of those, LOL.....

How nice to know I can call myself an IGG for Kathy's place too - cant wait - need to buy a suitcase tho and some other "supplies".... we're into a daily countdown!

I love a lot of oldfashioned flowers - like those cup and saucers -- there's a good reason why folks have grown them for so long!!

We've hit 90 degrees here today I believe w/ strong t-storms on the horizon - I do hope tho for a garden weekend PLEASEE!

-cindy

o
RE: #480 ..Every Gardener is a Millionaire in Spring - 2

And footnote -- V -- I get so confused as to where I've commented or not - that chick spa/resort for your birds is one very cool place - with its own natural a.c. and everything - amazing!!!! When are you going to have time to garden, LOL?

-cindy

o

Question for Rose maven Kathy - or anyone who's had to deal with this issue... Clearly New Dawn is in need of a severe reining-in before she takes down the south alley arbour and gate (which is also desperately in need of cleaning and painting :-)!

Since the C. montana and Jackmanii Superba are also in that mess up there, my tentative plan is to wait util late July when the Jackmanii Superba is finished blooming, then take the New Dawn down from the swag and cut it all back to the main trunks (you cannot call them canes any more!) and let it start over, swagging it from the begining. We didn't start the swag until it was already a mess up there! If it dies, I'll just leave the arbour for clematis and plant different climbing roses (less vigorous ones!) at the other end of the swag and train them forward. Kathy - as a survivor of regular battles with Lady Banks, do you have any advice for us?

Gorgeous pictures from everyone! Summer has burst out in a blaze of glory for sure.

o

That surely is a beautiful photo Woody ! I had to chuckle at your post, last summer I was called in to consult on New Dawn at the Compound, though Chelones issue was the opposite of yours..her ND was looking sparse and in need of care that would promote growth.

I can tell you-with a zone 9 disclaimer that I regularly hack at my roses , and cut the climbers back hard all year long because of my small space-it doesnt take long for them to overwhelm it. If I were in your position, I would consider removing entire canes, all the way to the ground or main trunkbasically a thinning .Then head back the laterals on the remaining canes to a node that faces in a direction you like, in some cases you may wish to remove laterals altogether. I cant imagine this would do any harm this time of year. Sometimes with very vigorous climbers it is hard to find the laterals vs. the canes. I think thinning helps in this case. Does this help ?

bug, if I were ever going to grow Peonies again I would go for the singles, and that Claire de Lune is wonderful !

Loving the GG !

Kathy in Napa

o

Woody I understand your delima with New Dawn, but That picture is juct gorgeous.

Michelle,That is so cute that Kenzie was happy to have her own compost pile. I love kids that age. They say the cutest things.

Deanne, You have the neatest looking containers. They put on a show themselves until the plants fill in. I like your white caladium, but I'm also intrigued by the pattern of the one in your big hanging basket. I have not seen one like that.
I do have water lillies blooming but I didn't get them divided when I should have and am going to have to try to pull them up before they escape their pots. Don't want to go there again. To much work when they take over.

Saucy, I like your plant combos in the GG. Getting the paths in really helps to get things going IMO. So much easier to visualize where plants should go.
Did Jake get his permit?
Our GS Jake is now a licensed driver and has a summer job.
They grow up so fast.

Kathy , I have never grown cup and saucers. Yours are so pretty I may have to try that next year.

Bug I always admire your Claire de Lune. I need to remember to add more singles this fall.

I got quite a few things planted today. Need to get my dalhias in the ground tomorrow. they are cooking in the pots I started them in. It was hot today but more bearable than the last couple of days.

Lots going on over the weekend here. Hope you all have a good one.

hey to all. Norma

o

I just talked to Nick as he was walking out the door - we're going to try to finish up the GG paths when the kids go to Maine with his parents next weekend! Yeah!

I agree with you, Norma, I keep trying not to place the plants too close to the edge where the path will be, so that I won't have to deal with that headache. I figure I can move things in the fall or early spring.

I also have structure in the back of my mind. I need some vertical structure, or walls, in places. I have the trellises that I want to use, just need the help to get the job done.

Jake did not get his permit. It's not good. He lost the birth certificate that I ordered (and that took 6 weeks to get our hands on) and without it, he can't apply. I felt so bad for him. When I handed it to him, I gave him the long, "don't lose it" speech. Life lesson, I guess. I have to order a new one, now, and hope that this one turns up.

Yesterday Astilboides Tabularis went in the Goddess Garden, as well as Aruncus dioicus "kneiffii" and another ornamental rhubarb. It's hard to believe that something in such a small container might be big someday. I see lots of plant shuffling in my future.

Today I've got to get my neighbor's ready for weekend sales. We are still trying to put things away from the plant sale! I'm going to make a poster for the tomato display so she can try to sell all the heirlooms that are left.

Later friends!

Saucy

o

Good morning all,

Well I had a very successful plant shopping expedition yesterday with my friend Mary and I think Ive got everything I need to finish up my pots. I found the cutest abutilon standard with lovely lemon yellow flowers that I couldnt resist buying. Like I need another abutilon but I dont have that variety. LOL. ~~ Im planning on a heavy duty potting up day today and major cleanup to get the patio ready for company this weekend. Of course the weather is not going to cooperate and the temps are predicted to go back up into the 90s. Grrrr. Doug and I are going to set up one of our pop up tents in addition to the market umbrella so everyone sitting on the patio can be in the shade. ~~ Many thanks all for the kind comments about the pics and combos! I appreciate the positive feedback

Saucy, great news on getting help with GG. I planted a new Astilboides this year too. As you said it looks pretty puny and its hard to believe it will become the behemoth we know it will. I lined the planting area with plastic so it has adequate moisture because the trees suck everything dry back there. ~~~ Big hugs to you for the difficulties with Jake. Heather was exactly like that and I pulled my hair out to baldness many times (well not really but it seemed like it, LOL) and feared shed never grow up. Hell figure it out eventually and figure it out faster by making him deal with the consequences. I wonder, can you have him deal with all the paperwork to submit for a new birth certificate?

Norma, I planted my dahlias beginning of last week and the one good thing this heat has done is gotten them a jump start on the season. ~~ That caladium in the hanger is a new one to me and I really love it. Its called Florida Sweetheart. I found them at Loews. I almost didnt buy it because the label said Blaze and I didnt want red ones for that planter but realized that it had to be mislabeled because they come up the color they will be and wont change from pink to red. Sure enough, I found a Florida Sweetheart at the nursery yesterday so I now know the name of it. A really terrific plant.

Bug, that Claire de Lune is absolutely fabulous!!!!! Id make room for that beauty. How long do those flowers last for you and does it stay upright like that without staking?

Woody, I absolutely love that photo, Makes my fingers itch to do a painting of it. A gorgeous and romantic combination.

Cindy, how strange that those Ceres Asiatics didnt come back double for you. Ive not heard of that happening before. Would love to see some more photos of your clematis arches if you have the time. ~~ Hope you get some cooler weather for gardening over the weekend.

OK Ive got to run and start my pot-a-thon. Have a great day!
Deanne

Pic for the day This has been one of the most reliable and enduring combinations in the gardens here. The clematis opened up yesterday and Im loving t hat behind all the violets of the salvia and allium.
Well I had a very successful plant shopping expedition yesterday with my friend Mary and I think Ive got everything I need to finish up my pots. I found the cutest abutilon standard with lovely lemon yellow flowers that I couldnt resist buying. Like I need another abutilon but I dont have that variety. LOL. ~~ Im planning on a heavy duty potting up day today and major cleanup to get the patio ready for company this weekend. Of course the weather is not going to cooperate and the temps are predicted to go back up into the 90s. Grrrr. Doug and I are going to set up one of our pop up tents in addition to the market umbrella so everyone sitting on the patio can be in the shade. ~~ Many thanks all for the kind comments about the pics and combos! I appreciate the positive feedback

Saucy, great news on getting help with GG. I planted a new Astilboides this year too. As you said it looks pretty puny and its hard to believe it will become the behemoth we know it will. I lined the planting area with plastic so it has adequate moisture because the trees suck everything dry back there. ~~~ Big hugs to you for the difficulties with Jake. Heather was exactly like that and I pulled my hair out to baldness many times (well not really but it seemed like it, LOL) and feared shed never grow up. Hell figure it out eventually and figure it out faster by making him deal with the consequences. I wonder, can you have him deal with all the paperwork to submit for a new birth certificate?

Norma, I planted my dahlias beginning of last week and the one good thing this heat has done is gotten them a jump start on the season. ~~ That caladium in the hanger is a new one to me and I really love it. Its called Florida Sweetheart. I found them at Loews. I almost didnt buy it because the label said Blaze and I didnt want red ones for that planter but realized that it had to be mislabeled because they come up the color they will be and wont change from pink to red. Sure enough, I found a Florida Sweetheart at the nursery yesterday so I now know the name of it. A really terrific plant.

Bug, that Claire de Lune is absolutely fabulous!!!!! Id make room for that beauty. How long do those flowers last for you and does it stay upright like that without staking?

Woody, I absolutely love that photo, Makes my fingers itch to do a painting of it. A gorgeous and romantic combination.

Cindy, how strange that those Ceres Asiatics didnt come back double for you. Ive not heard of that happening before. Would love to see some more photos of your clematis arches if you have the time. ~~ Hope you get some cooler weather for gardening over the weekend.

OK Ive got to run and start my pot-a-thon. Have a great day!
Deanne

Pic for the day This has been one of the most reliable and enduring combinations in the gardens here. The clematis opened up yesterday and Im loving t hat behind all the violets of the salvia and allium.

o

Lovely Photo of the Day! Such soft colors...

About the Claire de Lune peony. It is a very early one and I like it for that alone. I place a peony hoop over it in the very early stages and it remains upright until I cut it back in the fall. The flowers this year barely lasted a week due to all the heat. Usually they last more like 2 weeks. That's the trouble with all peonies. You need to decide how much you love them because they take up real estate for a short period of beauty. But of course, you know what I decided! I've had it for a long time now in the blue & yellow garden. By the way, I got it as a tiny stem which produced a single bloom the first spring. The next year it grew bigger and had 3 blooms. After that I stopped counting! I enjoy single peonies so much- and I know Woody does too.

I've spent a chunk of time weeding already this morning and I'm both tired and hungry.(I woke up at around 4am) I can't do much more weeding because of the heat...and also I need to tidy up and prepare food for weekend company. Fortunately they are bringing dessert so I won't need to think about that.

Possible thundershowers this afternoon and evening...

Enjoy the weekend everyone!!!!
'bug

o

Kathy - the big problem with trying to do detailed pruning back to specific buds etc. is that it's just too dangerous to work around that thing! That's why I think it would be easier to just cut it all off. We'd leave the 'tree trunk' canes that go from ground to the top of the arbour but take the rest all off and hope that it would resprout growth that we could then diligently train to the swag chains to keep in control. We'd wait until the end of July to do it so we'd get the maximum show for this year from the clematises and then hope for the best for survival/revival of them all. What do you think our chances would be?

Deanne - I love that picture too. It's the 'show' I look forward to after the wisteria finishes.

Marie - I love that peony!

o

Glorious photo, Woody - it's exploded in full at your home now too! It doesnt look overgrown the ND, but I know what you mean -- I've got 2 climbers I didnt prune this spring and boy, they're a mess. I remember the thorns of the ND are just wicked brutal -- armor up. But it's put on a terrific display right now.

And o, Deanne, I never tire of that allium display each year in your sundial garden -- the color matches are amazing.

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend -- some rain here on and off and mega heat Sunday and Monday - I still hope to steal some garden time.

-cindy

o

Hi Idylls!

I hope you don't mind my sharing some photos with you after being away soooo long, but I just wanted to share this with you guys so badly....

From the shed I loathed:

to the shed I love...or maybe I've just gotten altered art under my skin...lol!

a close up in honor of GB and Woodstock! :-)

and I've even started my first real all organic vegetable garden too:

I had a hard time finding any photos of the shed "before". I've always tried to keep it out of any pictures of the garden as I was embarrassed about its shabby appearance. I didn't want to paint it again it would be too much work to strip off all the old flaking paint and repair some of the rotting boards. Then I got into my Ohm (?) and decided to embrace the shed in its decayed barnyness. I did put in a new window, as the old one finally just fell out of the wall from decay. I also painted a wire rooster to sit on top of the shed (he's kind of hard to see in my pics, but you can see him best in the 1st pic. The rooster may be my favorite part of the whole shed...lol...I've always wanted my very own rooster (but alas real ones aren't welcomed here in suburbia). :-)

I'm not finished yet; I have more posters I will be adding and I need to wash off all the excess glue, but I couldn't wait to share...I'm just so tickled with it. :-)

I was wondering if maybe I should paint the trim a contrasting color (maybe the orange like the window?....or would that be too bright? It would be easy enough to do, as the trim is not in as bad a shape as the walls. What do you think, leave it or paint it?

I want to talk some more, but it's late and I am bushed from work. Oh yeah, that's my other exciting news...I have a new job that I absolutely *love*, but I start at 06:00 a.m. so I'm not staying up as late as I did in the old days. Anyway, I'll try to catch up with all of you over the week-end and tell you about my new job and what all else is going on in my life and read up and find out what's been going on in yours... I hope it's all good news and that life has been treating all my Idylls friends well...TTYL!

P.S. Why am I getting these highlighted words??!??

Eileen

o

Oh WOW Eileen! Look at you go girl! Your orange window even matches your garden blooms. I want to know what you have growing in your raised beds, what kind of clematis are growing up your 'Woodstock' barn, all about your job, your plans to move(?), your family, etc...

I have a busy day ahead with company, but I'll be back to check up on your answers! Great to have you back here and I hope for a musical contribution as well as some !!!!!!!s :)

Love your rooster! We certainly needed an Idyll rooster with all those chickens here...

Later,
'bug

PS: I won't be able to post photos until DH figures out yet another computer glitch.

o

Wowza Eileen! Love it. what a creative treatment for your old shed. Can't wait to see the vines growing up those trellises.

Deanne

o

Yay Ei ! Your shed looks fabu and your veggie garden is beautiful !Looking forward to your update..

Kathy in Napa

o

Hey thats terrific Ei. Don't you just love those ah ha! moments? And why did'nt I think of this sooner. LOL

Can't wait to hear about your job and maybe a few close ups of those posters.

Norma

o

Good Morning Girls!

My salutation made me immediately made me think of that old song "Good Morning Girl, how'd ya sleep last night? You're sev'ral ages older now Your eyes have started showin' how The little girl's growin' now...Good Morning Girl. Lol, some things never change I guess. I still think of the world as one big musical. :-) I don't even remember who sang the song, but it's playing in my head now.

Anyway, thank you so much, I knew you guys would make me feel good. Idylls is definitely a place to find kindness, support and camaraderie.

Speaking of some things never changing...Deanne your gardens are as glorious as ever! I too love that sundial pic...one of my faves, but of course, all the pictures here at the Idylls make me drool...you are all fabulous gardeners & photographers; each with your own special style...I love that.

Lol Cindy, you know me so well. Yes, I *do* want to paint the trim. I'm just having a hard time picturing the color. Kathy's suggestion of purple has definitely made the list. I was also thinking of chartreuse or lime...isn't that Chelone's favorite color? :-) Hi Chelone..I'm so glad you're still here.

Seriously, I do want to paint the trim, but it will be tough choosing the color, cause I get so exuberant I'm afraid I will go over the top and instead of being glorious, it will be garish. I don't want it to scream, but I do want it to be cheerful. :-)

Kathy are you getting pumped about the Idyllunion? I'm all the vistors are...what a treat for all. It will be so much *fun*!

Cindy...did I read you have gotten yourself a new pup? I'm so far behind, I've just decided to start with "today" in catching up with you guys, but I'm happy to hear you have a new companion. Though no one will ever replace your sweet Chloe, I'm glad you have a new partner in crime. What kind of pup did you choose; a maltese? Is it a girl or a boy?

I did see V has started her own chicken ranch (it's fabulous V). Which of course made me think of Mary. I wonder what she is up to now (she's always up to some new creative thing) and wonder how all her baby chicks are doing. I'm sure they are all grown now. Speaking of which, I've been wondering why neither V or Mary have a rooster? I want a rooster *bad*. Someday I will move out to the country and get one and my own little nubby headed goat too.

Hope Saucy is having fun...will a visit to Chelone be on the agenda?

I love Michelle's beautiful garden pics too and your Dictamnus is *gorgeous*. Don't you just love that plant? I think more people would grow it if it just weren't so picky about getting established. I think it may be a propagation challenge? But once you have it you have it forever. My pink one has to be about 10 years old now and it always looks so perfect and healthy. Even in the worst growing season it is always healthy and fresh looking...I love it. I just started new babies of the white version last year. They are still pretty small, but one of them bloomed. I decided I had to have the white after GB mentioned hers...you guys really are enablers. :-)

Speaking of GB and enabling, Clare de Lune is on my list of must have peonies now too.

I should have realized you guys would have thought Clematis when I mentioned the Woodstock/GB shed wall. Actually I just always think of GB when I think of Woodstock. I think she mentioned that she went once and I like to fantasize about what it must have been like for her to be there with all those young and fresh and full of dreams of a better world people and all those positive love vibes. Yes, I guess I am a wannabee woodstocker. :-)
Anyway, the trellises on that wall only have your sturdy heirloom tomatoes fantasizing about getting big. Maybe I'll put a couple of clematis on the south wall of the shed though...it could use a little more oomph.

Hi Norma...that's it exactly...it did feel like an ah ha moment. I will love to show more pics later when it's finished, but in a separate post. I'd love to show you some close ups of the posters...there are some really cute ones in there.

Anyway, here I've babbled so much and never told you about my work and what's growing in the veggie garden. I always have too much to say (yes some things *never* change...lol) but I'll be back later to chat more.

Hope you are all having a wonderful three day week-end...

TTYL!
Eileen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here