Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Spring on the Left Coast..photo heavy

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

Although I pruned heavily, Reine de Violettes continues to have her way with the fence..
{{gwi:160108}}From Garden 2009

Frederic Mistral in the foreground , the snaps adding a festive note in the rear
{{gwi:160109}}From Garden 2009

Close-up Snaps
{{gwi:160110}}From Garden 2009
{{gwi:160111}}From Garden 2009
{{gwi:160112}}From Garden 2009

Viburnum
{{gwi:160113}}From Garden 2009

View from the front porch
{{gwi:160114}}From Garden 2009

Eden
{{gwi:160116}}From Garden 2009

I like this combo..
{{gwi:160117}}From End of April 09 in the Garden

Our Lady of Guadalupe with May Night
{{gwi:160118}}From Roses 2009

Zinnia , Old Mexico, with bloom !!
{{gwi:160119}}From Garden 2009

Kathy in Napa

Comments (19)

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Wow Kathy! You have a lot of pretty blooms. My favorites are the first, second and seventh shots. But they are all pretty. Norma

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Looks fantastic, Kathy! The Queen of Violets is amazing and seems to be flourishing on whatever pruning regimen you've got her on.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I had a feeling you were in for a great gardening season and as usual, I was right. :-) Your lucky neighbors, you must be perfuming everyone's backyard! I bet they have to restrain themselves from plucking one of your roses off that fence. That first photo is stunning! So many roses on that fence, are you sure you didn't find a special on silk flowers somewhere? [g] Is that a spirea in #1? I continue to be enthralled with the snaps. That viburnum is a beauty, have you limbed it up? I don't remember seeing the rose standards down the side of the front yard. Did you do them yourself? Gorgeous! You have successfully used the 'vertical strategy' so well in your garden. You really get your money's worth out of every square inch. What is the variegated shrub in #9? Well, I'm glad to see you having a fun time in the garden and with the camera this year. Do your kids get over for a visit when your garden is looking so fabulous? You should be very pleased with the results of all your hard work.

I appreciated having something gorgeous to look at since the neighbor's woke me up three times and now I am wide awake. I don't know why I didn't put the house fan on earlier, but your garden photos are very soothing. Going back to bed now. :-)

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Wow Kathy! You must be having a lot of fun walating/salating these days!

I must say that your photos are gorgeous! You've got a great subject to photo!

Queen of the Violets looks like she's headed for the pergola next door. If I were your neighbor, I'd invite her over :)

I've been looking at snapdragons a lot lately, and think I will add some to the garden.

What is that great "blue" bloom in the background of Lady of Guadalupe?

I'll bet your garden appreciated the good soaking you've been receiving.....

Saucy

• chelone
    14 years ago

Kathy, your garden is just breathtaking. I can't even imagine having so many roses. Does it smell as good as I suspect it does??

I love the Viburnum and the combo you mentioned liking is really topnotch. How are you ever going to be able to turn over the key to a new owner?

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Oh my! I want to be there.....

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Beautiful Kathy! I don't think I've ever seen so many roses in one garden. Is this the time when you hit the peak for blooms? Love the snaps too. They'll sometimes come back for me a second year here if the winter's a bit mild. Is that viburnum mariesii? My favorite viburnum. And last but not least, what a cute little baby zinnia. My seedlings are coming along... I enjoyed touring your gardens so much. Thanks!

Eden

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Kathy, Your gardens are gorgeous! I would be so reluctant to leave such beauty....but I think I understand the need to do so.
    The area you plan on moving to can become just as beautiful. I have seen that area.....the gorgeous Rose gardens, the Rhododendron gardens, and all the Hydrangeas in everyone's yards.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

O, my another garden tour! Yet this one is "private view", LOL (not thinking of lurkers!). Really, Kathy, it's worthy of all tours we've seen -- it looks like all the rain you got is giving you reward now - I love your combinations and can only imagine how heavenly it must smell in your gardens right now.

Simply beautiful.

--Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your nice remarks ! The Camera is getting quite a workout I must say.

Denise, the pruning regiman for The Queen is cut her down to nothing, and as you can see she cares not..she continues to throw out new and ever longer canes.

I must admit PM to 'borrowing' the next door neighbors rose standards ! It's nice to have them there along our property line since it makes it look like I have more roses than I really do , lol . That is my 'mystery' viburnum-it's tall and slender and if anyone can ID it I'd be grateful . If it is 'mariesii' then I need to move it !

Saucy, thats 'May' Night Salvia, one of my faves, I have several of them-it's one of my 'repeated elements' and helps pull all the mayhem together..

Glad you enjoyed..Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Kathy, you have more than enough roses without the neighbor's standards! :-) So, does that mean your neighbor gardens too? The Viburnum does remind me of a mariesii, but I thought there were a couple of Viburnum that look like it. The mariesii is usually very horizontal in it's branch structure, the foliage and flowers look like one, but not the branch structure, that is why I asked if it were limbed up. It almost looks like a tree. Sorry, that's my limited knowledge on the subject. [g]

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Wow Kathy your garden is looking totally fabulous. The first shot is unbelievable. I doubt I could ever get that many roses to look so good. How nice that your borrowed view is so pretty as well.

Michelle

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Beautiful Kathy - the sort of garden I dream of when I think of roses. Another group of shots worthy of their own coffee table book. I love the brave little zinnia at the end who will be stealing the show come August!

Mary

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!!!! Your roses are over the top fabulous! Wonderful gardens and combinations. But, oh, those roses!!!!!!

Thanks
    Deanne

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

Wowzer! That is beautiful Kathy! I love everything, but especially 'Eden' and that Viburnum. That blue obelisk is just the perfect focal point.
    Just wonderful!
    CMK

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey CMK, we (I guess we is Denise and I) like to see folks who appear to be Left Coasters around these parts ..Feel free to come over and say "hi" to us on the Idylls--we are witty ,glamorous and incredibly intelligent.

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

LOL Kathy! I'm not up to being witty ,glamorous or incredibly intelligent this morning. But I am in awe of those in rose country. My Reine des Violettes appears to have met its demise this winter. I am not happy about that at all. I'll have to wait until July or August to see if I get any roses at all.
    So glad you got that camera to share the beauty with us!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Gardenbug, not feeling the connection to that description either this morning. [g] I am very happy to have this little thread to keep looking at too, since my roses are not shaping up to be full of buds this year either. I finally did find some alfalfa pellets Kathy. They were out of meal. I just read on the Organic Gardening forum that some people use it as a tea so it won't attract rabbits. So I am pondering that.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

Thanks Kathy. I have been a regular at the Perennial forum for quite some time, but never thought of looking over on the 'Conversation' side. So glad I did! I had to come back for another peek at your beauties today! ;-)
    CMK

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County