Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CFL's and Fire Hazard

Posted by jak1 4 Ontario Can (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 21:52

Check out my post on the Perennials Forum....

Cheers,

Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CFL's and Fire Hazard

• Posted by jak1 4 Ontario Can (My Page) on
    Wed, May 27, 09 at 22:01

Never mind - it got yanked already.

Our smoke alarms have been going off at odd hours and we have been unable to find the cause.

Recently the light in TCS's room burned out. When DH went to change the bulb today, he found that the "twisty" CFL that we had installed was yellow around the base of the bulb and the base itself was burned and black with a hole melted in it.

Researching this on the net indicates that this is not uncommon and is generally not a fire hazard. Nonetheless, we are uncomfortable with this and we will be contacting our local fire department and are removing all of the CFL's that we have installed in the house. Note that this was not a dimmer switch installation (CFL's are usually not to be used with dimmer switches).

If you have CFL's in your house (and most people do by now) be sure to check them regularly for signs of yellowing, melting, or overheating and replace them at once if there are any such indications.

I will try to post a photo of the burned out bulb tomorrow.

Cheers,

Julie

o

Hey, I answered over there!

o

I hate CFLs and have been stockpiling incandescants . I'm a light bulb survivalist , lol.

Kathy in Napa

o

I didn't see this until now.

I have been diligently replacing all my incandescents - and I'm not terribly excited about the result. The light is okay, but my biggest complaint is that they don't last as many "years" as advertised.

Thank you for the heads up on this....I will keep an eye out for this!

o

Thanks for the heads up about the problems Julie. Like Saucy, we've been replacing all the bulbs in the house.
But I've also found that they don't last anywhere near as long as they should.

Deanne

o

I'm late finding this. I'm with Kathy on this one. We are out in the country and have frequent very short power flickers. The CFLs burn out very quickly, sometimes in a couple of days. ARGH! Maybe they will 'improve' them but in the mean time we are stocking up on incandescents.

Jerri

P.S. I can't begin to count the number of people I've heard that are just throwing these in the landfill. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here