Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

A Country Outing

gardenbug
17 years ago

A 'few' from today's outing:

Friends' house with funky walkway being built. They've done everything in only one year.

{{gwi:160210}}

Plants galore...

{{gwi:160211}}

{{gwi:160212}}

{{gwi:160213}}

Cat tails?

{{gwi:160214}}

Archway

{{gwi:160215}}

Path

{{gwi:160216}}

Pond

{{gwi:160217}}

Fuzzy plant...

{{gwi:160218}}

{{gwi:160219}}

Ferns and more...

{{gwi:160220}}

A very old apple, pruned with character!

{{gwi:160221}}

A lovely warm evening with a breeze!

Comments (10)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Wow, great garden! I love all the shade plant textures and quirky structures. Thanks for taking us along, Marie.

Sue

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

One year huh? Very impressive. What an interesting garden. I'd love to see what they can do in 5 years. Thanks for the tour.

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Unbelievable! How beautiful... what a wonderful way to spend the day! :-) Can you give me the cultivar name of those cattails? I don't think I've ever seen that variety. :-) LOL That apple tree is so cool - I really love that! Thanks so much for sharing your outing and for making my morning! P.S. Please ask your friends what vitamins they are taking....

Ei

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

HI Marie, very cool garden. Like Michelle I wonder what it will look like in 5 years if they've done all of this in just one. I love the rustic feel of the gardens and of course the kitties too. Thanks for sharing.

Eden

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just to let you know, these guys are self taught landscapers. They moved into the house which hadn't been lived in for 30 years. They had no water, electricity, bathrooms, etc. They built the kitchen, 2 bathrooms (bathed outdoors!) painted, plastered, etc. They're still working on that stuff too of course. They are masters at finding cool stuff at the dump and at yard sales. They just got a BBQ for $5 the other day. You'd be amazed at how it all looks!
    I'm hoping that some of those split rails you see in the background will become part of my new clematis walk...when it is no longer 96F!
    They also have about 15 Borzoi dogs which they used to breed. He used to be a judge of Hounds. Of course they have about 6 cats, some finches, and he also raises doves and other interesting birds.
    As to vitamins, both smoke like chimnies, he has a pacemaker, had colon cancer, migraines, you name it! But he's a great aging hippy!

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

GB
    What a lovely spot and delightful gardens - so many interesting things to look at. I love the rustic arch. It must have been a great day out. Do you have pictures of the 15 Borzois?

Mary

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Wow,they're true pioneers - w/ no modern "conveniences" -- but ones w/ lots of spirit and imagination! I love the arch too & the shady walkway -- it should be a showplace in 5 years.
    Thanks for sharing, Gardenbug.

=Cindy

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Marie, what nice combos, paths and archways. Thanks for posting them!

• taryn
    17 years ago

Very cool seeing their vision come to life!

Taryn

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Wow, what an interesting garden. I'd love to meet your friends. As the others have said, they have incredible energy if they've done all that in a year on top of renovating the house. I need some of that energy. They must work non-stop. The gardens are such fun and obviously well tended. I especially love the Hosta 'Orange Tabby'. LOL Thank you for the visit.
    Deanne