Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

Mother's Day in the garden

michelle_zone4
14 years ago

These are a few shots from Mother's Day at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. Tulips and apple blossoms were stealing the show.

Mom and I:

{{gwi:160429}}

{{gwi:160430}}

{{gwi:160431}}

{{gwi:160432}}

{{gwi:160434}}

{{gwi:160435}}

I like the interesting foliage on this one.

{{gwi:160436}}

Obviously all the women have a similar sense of style - this wasn't planned.

{{gwi:160437}}

I believe Kathy was wondering what I had in the pillar containers these days.

{{gwi:160438}}

Comments (16)

• anitamo
    14 years ago

You look so much like your mom! That photo needs to be sent to every family member to be proudly displayed. It's beautiful, as are the rest of the pictures. I can't believe how everyone dressed alike without planning it. Eerie. I do like black and white for family photos.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Great minds think alike!

I love the shot of you and your Mom and the arboretum. The fruit has not fallen far from the tree and your smiles say it all. Save that one for posterity.

I love the planter on the pillar; frost predicted for us tonight and it's been so chilly I'd feel bad putting the greenhouse babies outdoors.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Echoing the others on the amazing similarity between Mother and daughter! I love that first photo. The black and white group...well that's astonishing.

True to form, I fall for the white tulip display with the variEgated euonymus. ;)

Yep, frost here this morning. I dare not inspect closely. :(

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Another voice here on the resemblance to your mother - no question what you'll look like 'when you grow up' :-)

I like the first group of orangy-apricot tulips. It's not a color I usually go for but I really like those ones!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Michelle, Add me to those who can really see the resemblance between you and Mom. I bet people tell you both that all the time. :-) I love apple blossoms when they are in the bud stage. Such a pretty red color they are. I'm with Gardenbug, I love that container with the variegated Euonymus and the white tulips. I could have done without the dark pansies and just filled it in with white tulips. The photo of all the family women in black and white is really remarkable! What did the men wear? [g] .... Really like that little rabbit in your front pot and the front pot is very pretty. Did you have that last year? You haven't filled in that new front area yet, have you? I will enjoy seeing what you do with it later in the season. I haven't planted out warm season annuals yet. I did take a chance on putting my tomatoes in already, but with Wall of Waters that should keep them toasty until it warms up a little. Thanks Michelle for posting your photos. :-)

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Yes indeed Michelle, you and your Mom do look so much alike! Wow, and I love the group picture! What fun that you all have coordinated outfits. It's a great pic.

Love all the tulips shots at the Arboretum. Very pretty. I keep telling myself that I'll have a tulip show one of these springs but I never make the time because I'm putting the tender plants to bed for the season. Oh well, maybe when I give up growing brugs! LOL

Thanks for sharing
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Lovely shots, of both people, and plants.
    My favorite tulip pic is the purple and whites.

I don't think I ever saw a group of ladies ALL in the same color coordination without planing it....:-)
    I am always amused when several of us arrive at worship wearing similar colors. :-)

Marian

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

How funny about the inadvertent "dress code". I seem to recall a photo of four generations of women in your family a few years ago, and I believe the resemblance spans the generations. Looks like it was a lovely day for you all.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Michelle, great photos and thanks for including the shot of Mr Bunny in his postion of honor on the pillar ! Is there a bunny on the other pillar too ? The young lady in front of the group shot is making her 1st communion , right ? We had veils in my day !

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funny, but I really have never thought I looked that much like my mom. My younger sister is between my mom and me on the B&W shot, I think we resemble each other. I can see her in my DD as well.

PM, Other than my dad and brother, all the other men found "excuses" not to come. At this time of the year field work is first and foremost on Rick's mind.

The pots are new. They are from the same collection of several that I put by the front door.

As for planting the front area, I have done quite a bit but everything is quite small so it doesn't look all that exciting.

Thanks for the sweet comments.

I believe this is the same container the last time I visited. I like this combo of plants as well.

{{gwi:160440}}

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathy, there is a little veil back there. I think we had something a little more doily-like LOL

The other pot has a small terra cotta pot on its side with a little "welcome" faux stone.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

The doily thing would be a would be a 'chapel veil', Female heads covered , men heads bare. Days gone by.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

Along with services in Latin and the clergy with their backs to congregation... I recall thinking that was pretty weird when I'd get dragged along "to church" with my best friend, Sharon.

I wanted white shoes in the worst way when she made her 1st. communion. Mum was appalled, but let me have a pair on the condition they were flat leather, not shiney. Lol.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Michelle, great photos! How nice the photo of all the ladies dressed simalar is. I like your new pillar pots, they look good there. Thanks for posting the pots with the euyonomus I have a couple of those that need rescued from their spots and that gives me a great idea. I too liked the buds on the apple tree. Norma

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Really lovely shots, Michelle -- the family resemblance definitely spans the generations as V points out - I recall that from your family reunion shots too. Lovely -- and if I were ambitious like Norma, I'd try that euyonomous topiary too - so pretty!

-cindy

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Michelle - I really enoyed your photos. I am very close with my mother and I see from your shots that you share the same bond. What a lovely day in a beautiful setting. I dont' think there can ever be too many tulips! The black and white outfits remind me of those fancy professional photographers who have families coordinate their outfits. Much more fun that yours were by coincidence.

Mary