Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

June is for Roses

deanneart
14 years ago

I'm so pleased that my roses are looking the best they ever have. Also that they are still at peak and waited for me to come home from my teaching trip to VT. Thought you'd enjoy a few pics I took this morning.

The real stars right now are 'Miss All American Beauty' and 'Peace'

{{gwi:160851}}

{{gwi:160852}}

{{gwi:160853}}

{{gwi:160855}}

{{gwi:160856}}

'Fascination'

{{gwi:160858}}

'First Prize'

{{gwi:160859}}

{{gwi:160860}}

I just love this time of the year!

Deanne

Comments (14)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! Roses are still a week or two away from blooming here... It looks like you and Kathy will have to 'duke it out' for Rose Queen....? :-)

• anitamo
    14 years ago

You have the magic touch for roses, too. Gorgeous display.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Very pretty Deanne ! I have always wanted a Peace rose (and Chicago Peace too) but somehow have never procured them. I love the way yours look with the your fabu stone edging and the allysum and little pansies underneath. Mine are mostly starting to form growth and buds for the second wave- but nothing beats the first bloom does it ?

Thanks for putting these up !

Kathy

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! The pink looks very nice with the japanese maple behind it. I like the allysum underneath.

Michelle

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Wow Deanne, between the roses, containers and the climbing Hydrangea, your garden is really popping. I don't know what to look at first. Amazingly gorgeous all the way around!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Beautiful! How lucky you are that you can grow roses well where you are! I can't here, but somehow keep trying. I lost my second Sally Holmes this winter. :( It will be a long time before I see any blooms here. July at least!

• deanneart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! So happy you enjoyed the pics. Kathy, you are so right that nothing but nothing beats this first flush of roses. They are never as large and the shrubs never seem to have as many flowers as the June ones.

Woody, the 'Rose Queen' crown really goes to Kathy and I'm not even a runner up compared to her collection. These are the only ones I have except for my Rugosa standard. I only have this one little corner in the front where they do OK and don't winter kill too badly.

Bug, so sad you lost 'Sally Holmes' agan. I LOVE that rose and lost mine five or more years ago now and never replaced it.

Deanne

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

The sent-o-meter is off the scale I can tell in your garden, Deanne -- everything looks so healthy, beautiful and just magnificent. I too love the japanese maple in combo w/ all the roses -- to die for.... My roses never look that healthy!

Thanks for taking the time to share w/ us.

-cindy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Deanne...Roses too? You must get a lot of happiness from your garden. It is really having a banner year too. What is the name of that Fuchsia in the pot in the first photo? It looks like it has very dark coloring on the blossoms. Looks just right there. I've also wanted Peace, but wondered how it would work out with organic care, so I chose something else. Those are some big blossoms!

• deanneart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Cindy and PM! PM that fuchsia is 'Blacky' a fabulous, gorgeous plant. The corolla of the emerging blossoms is so dark purple as to look black. I found this plant at a nursery last month and couldn't resist it. This one requires a lot of pinching to have it looking its best but worth any extra effort. I'm loving it against that JM too.

Deanne

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Ditto, ditto, ditto. Deanne they sure are pretty. The fuchsia really sets them off too. I'm sure glad they waited for you to return. Norma

• anitamo
    14 years ago

How absolutely stunning, deanne. I am in total awe of your roses, especially since I can't grow them at all. I will return to this post often when I need to "stop and smell the roses."

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Deanne, I see you excel at roses just like everything else in the garden :) What a nice display. And that fuchsia blacky is a special one I think. I think the alyssum underneith is the perfect touch. I grew gypsophlia with my roses for a while back when I had an area devoted to roses and your alyssum underplanting reminded me of that.

Eden

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

They are too beautiful!! I am so envious! I have decided to completely give up on roses. I will be surprised if I even have one bloom on my Evelyn rose. I do have two red ones that are blooming, but the leaves are in terrible condition. :-(
    I shall be content with beautiful pics as long as I live here.

Marian