Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honey_mi

Idyll #321 June is bustin' out all over

honey_mi
16 years ago

I'll fix it, Mary. No biggie.

Hi all,

Monday when I went to my dentist to sand down a chipped crown, he found trouble between my 2 front teeth in a routine x-ray and sent me to the periodontist for surgery. It hadnt started hurting me, so I was unaware of it. I had it done yesterday pm and am glad itÂs behind me. IÂm sore and tired, but otherwise OK. The stitches come out next week.

Between Monday and yesterday, I rushed around here trying to get stuff done before the dirty deed, knowing IÂd be out of commission for awhile. I finally got one of our subdivision entrance's planted with annuals. The landscaper bot the wrong cultivars for that area so it's still unfinished. We did spot where the shrubs will go, so it's progressing. I also gave him the info for the planting at the other entrance. Hopefully, he'll get that done this week so the annuals can be installed this weekend. He's a nice guy, is cheap but does this part-time so is slow.

ÂBug, I have a friend who used to work in the OB at a local hospital and she says they always had an overwhelming amount of deliveries during a full moon. So, youÂre probably right about the babyÂs arrival!

Kathy, wonderful pix. That one view also reminds me of JainÂs garden and view.

((((Deanne)))) So sorry about the hail damage. ItÂs so frustrating. IÂm sure in a couple weeks, you wonÂt even know it happened. I agree, whatÂs with the Âfreeze Âem, roastÂem bizaare, weather anyhow?

That's it from me this am. I need to go lie down a bit.

Honey

Comments (110)

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's a hot one here today. I've been moving the water sprinkler around the gardens all day. I'm also trying to clean up around the inside, my mom and dad are coming down Friday for my niece's graduation openhouse on Sat. They'll be here through the middle of next week. Jennifer and her fiancee close on their house tomorrow. They won't be moving in for a month or so because they're redoing the kitchen and bath first. She wants me to come over Saturday morning and look over the gardens. I'm excited that one of my kids will finally have a permanent place to start gardening and she seems very interested too!

It'll be a while before I finish painting the bed. It's in 3 pieces and I have the first piece mostly finished but no painting goes on when Bella's here so it'll be a slow process. I liked the look of the baskets too Marie, but the my cats would like them more. With doors I think it will look less cluttered too. LOL Chelone, my house is about the size of a houseboat, so I'm always looking for ways to add storage. You're right, it does resemble a captains bed. Mary, I'm painting it 'cottage white".

Deanne, the terrace garden is looking good. Nice and filled in, just the way I like 'em! I like Nora Leigh too. I think I buy most plants more for their foliage rather than their flowers these days.

Michelle, Oh I like the idea of a fountain. We put one in a couple of years ago, just a cheap one from Home Depot, but it really does add a lot to the garden. LOL on the Energizer Bunny nickname for Kenzie. That one would work for Bella too!

Mary, I love the white foxgloves. Nice to see pictures of your gardens! They're beautiful! I'm catching up on laundry today too.

Brenda, NO I'm NOT going to buy more plants. If I'm tempted I can just buy them for dd Jenni's garden :)

Chelone, hope the visit with your mum goes well!

Bella's asking for an afternap snack so I guess I'll go slice her up an apple, her favorite snack food for the time being (unless she can talk me into a cookie which she always tries to do). She's getting the apple though :)

Eden

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Meant to mention that one of our cars is red too. The other's silver. Congrats on the new car Marie!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Spent better part of the day (9 to 2) carting Katie to Neurologist and back. Picking up and returning x-rays. It's an only an hour away, but I wish I had taken my camera, it looked like Michelle's Iowa! Corn fields and cows and so soothing, just wonderfully peaceful out there. Who would imagine a state of the art neuorology facility at the end of a mile and a half driveway in the middle of farm country.

I stopped at a place called Meadow Farms on the way home, and Katie enjoyed greeting and sucking up to people at the garden center, but she was really tired so I couldn't do a complete tour. I picked up a sedum angelina and a muhlenbergia capillaris (both huge) in gallon pots for 8.99 each. Very good price for Maryland. I tried the muhlenbergia a few years ago, planted three small ones in fall and they didn't make it.

I was beat when I got home, and wanted to address a wild area that needs some digging but never got out there. 20 minutes ago I decided to take Katie and Monty for a short walk - that's all they're allowed - but the skies opened up and the thunder was fearsome. Instead I decided to take a bath.

Unfortunately, the tub was already taken:

{{gwi:161221}}

Dannie has made great progress with her thunder phobia in just a year, but it still frightens her and she has several safe places. The tub is one of them :-) (those are her muddy footprints in there by the way, not mine!)

GB, the photos of your neighbors seem like a different place and time. They are wonderful! Congrats on having your own wheels whenever you need them.

Deanne, your container garden is glorious! You are such a perfectionist, you must pick those pots over daily? And what a great use of a bench you never sit on anyway :) That HG wire pot with fuschia is just perfect combo.

Mary, I just love foxgloves too, and yours are beautiful. They are such good seeders. I started some of the camelot series this year but they're still in they're pots on the patio waiting for me to plug them in the ground.

Michelle, I think you should bribe one of your co-workers with that $100 and take off for the Idyllunion in July. It is so neat that Kenzie loves flowers like her grandma does. Does gardening skip generations?

T, when I was out in the 'country' today I was enjoying handmade signs in front of farms. One said 'small donkey for sale.' And I thought of you! Another said 'BGE, don't cut these trees'. (BGE is the utility company.)

Chelone, I wonder if the Verizon person was in India or Mexico. All of that 'customer service' stuff is outsourced globally now.

Eden, that's amazing that Brad is going to build you the custom bed. No wonder you kept him! Agree nice doors will be even better instead of open cubbies. But if you left the cubbies open you could put florescent lights in and start seeds! Ok, a little messy with the kitties I guess :-)

I am hungry and haven't snacked today, so with the dark cool, I guess I'll check the freezer for something to warm up. Steel cut oatmeal might be nice and easy. Yes, I buy it prepared and frozen!

As always, I'm behind and forgot what I really wanted to say! But read every word over the past few days and completely enjoy what everyone shares. Hi Wendy, Brenda, Kathy, Saucy & everyone else I've missed.

Best, Cynthia

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, happy Wednesday ! Its a hot one here today so I came home from work and started watering. I bought more plants today- I was up at one of my employers facilities that has a garden center. One cannot resist the attractive employee discount..
    Deanne. I think we need a weekly shot of that container area-Ill bet it changes a lot in just a few days. Im still working on getting all mine planted.

Michelle-yes, hori-hori ! thats it. I have access to a company in Berkeley that sells these , and I can get my employee discount. We buy Japanese back-saws from them.

Very cool bed Eden !

Mary, love the foxglove I used to grow that every year without fail-it actually perennializes here . I really need to figure out a spot for some. They need to be in at least part shade here. I love the Digitalis lutea too, with the soft yellow flowers.I printed the salad recipeits similar to one that I like to make in summer, it has black beans , cucumber and fresh jalapenos in it as well.

Brenda- I hope my dentists arent lunching to discuss my teeth! Napa has a very large population of excellent restaurants. You could come on vacation here for two weeks and not hit them all. I did buy my Sonic Care toothbrush this week, recommended by my dentist. He told me If I am going to spend the $$s on implants I need to commit to upgrade my dental hygiene. Even though I have been flossing for years there seems to be something about my mouth chemistry that creates problems for me. We all have our crosses to bear I guess !

Whats up with that weather there Chelone ? Sounds like the Northern Calif coast where 70 degrees is a heat wave ! God, I just hate that off-shore phone bank stuff.

Cynthia, your bathing beauty shot is just priceless.

Must be off, I need to pay attention to the ballgame !

See ya !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    16 years ago

Happy Flag Day everyone!

The whole thing with Verizon really bothered me. The heavily accented woman was Hispanic. IMO, she did everything right (and I told her so!), but I really had to struggle to understand the words of my native language. I found myself repeating things to make sure I understood what she told me. After 5 minutes of it, I simply told her the call was taking too long for BOTH of us and would she please transfer me to another operator. I thanked her for her patience and told her that while her English was excellent the lilt and cadence of her native accent was difficult for me follow with out being able to see her speak. Why is that large companies fail to understand the frustration of their customer base when they run into this sort of thing? (they don't care!).

I felt so sorry for poor Dannie in the bathtub! The Springer we had was bothered by thunder, too. Rex is generally OK, but if it's a particularly strong storm he gets a little weirded out, too. He likes to stay close to us; is happiest lying down with my foot idly rubbing his side intermittently. The cats don't care.

The air conditioning on my car has a leak. I find out today how much it will cost to get that repaired. While I don't use it much day to day, I will need it for the BIG TRIP. ;)

They'recalling this weather pattern a "Maritime air mass". I call it cold. And raw. It's 39 degrees in Houlton (very northern Maine)! It's supposed to clear up some today and get a little warmer. Good thing, we're putting up the awnings today if the weather holds. Last year they were up in the beginning of May!

It's going to be a busy day today, so I'd better quit grumbling and put on my happy face (things go better that way).

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning everyone,

Well the weather is exactly the same this morning as it was when I came in last night. It is a very heavy, gray overcast with 55 degree temps. Brrrrrr Supposedly it is going to start warming up today, I certainly hope so. I was actually cold yesterday with a turtle neck and heavy sweatshirt on. What month is this anyway???? The brugs want to have sweaters on. I can practically see them shivering. Seriously though, the growth on the brugs has come to a screeching halt in the last few days. Prior to that they were putting on an amazing growth spurt but now its all come to a stop. I guess next week it will finally warm up.

Bummer about the AC leak Chelone. ~~ I totally agree with you about companies hiring customer service people who can barely speak English for their US customers. Makes me crazy. The other thing that bugs me is having to push a button to ASK for English.

Kathy, I have a friend who has exactly the same problem with her teeth. She takes scrupulous care of them but still has to have them cleaned every three months because regardless of how scrupulously she takes care of her teeth she still has problems. ~~ Ill make a point to update pics of that container garden-garden weekly, youre right it does change fairly quickly and should look like a jungle by the end of July.

Cynthia, poor Dannie!!!! ~~ Thanks, yes I do groom those pots daily. Puttering about with the plants is my very favorite thing to do so it isnt really a chore.

Eden, how exciting that Jennifer and fiancée are closing on their house! Marvelous and congratulations to them. How neat she wants your opinion on the gardens! What fun!

Ok Im off to start my day. Have a great one everyone.
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Mornin' Idylls!

Today it is 88% humidity and down to only 82F instead of yesterday's 90F. By Saturday we'll be back to 90 again. No rain for ages...

Eden, I just loved it when Sarah and her husband moved into their house. He is the energizer bunny in our family and just loves working on things. He'll try his hand at ANYTHING and is planning on installing a new water heater before baby is born...among other things. He paints walls, installs floors, repairs toilets, lays sod, removes bushes, plants perennials...everything! Even does dishes and vacuuming and sings and dances while he works! The fact that Sarah enjoys gardening is a real joy now. It was slow to come about though!

DS arrives this weekend with friends but will only spend one night with us before heading to a conference in Toronto. (Hardly worth all the making up of beds!- my least favorite task.)Although we email back and forth and occasionally speak by phone, we see little of each other. I last saw him at Sarah's wedding. There were years when I thought we'd never see him again...so any kind of relationship is rewarding to me these days!

I managed a bit of weeding & edging in the shade yesterday and really need to do way more...but today is the mammogram day and other boring stuff which prevents me from doing what I want most.

As to the new car, DH ordered it yesterday, in silver! I asked why silver and he said because it was such a hot day that he thought it would be cooler. Well, I suppose there's an element of logic in there somewhere, but since it is winter here for 7-8 months of the year...oh well, I really don't care. The new car is his, the old van will be mine. Maybe I'll request a massive interior/exterior cleaning of the poor old thing. Chelone, it recently has had the air conditioning leak "glued", the muffler too. Well when you only replace cars every 10-12 years, what do you expect? It appalls me that they are a throw away item! Our poor planet!

On the grandson front, now that Skyler has turned 8 he has scored his first soccer goal AND has learned to whistle. We chatted on the phone last night and he is excited about his talent show at school on the 25th. He's very musical and is going to sing.

I guess I should be starting the sprinkler...
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

I had one personal day I was going to use if I didn't take it so I'm off today - yippee! The down side is I promised myself I'd spent it getting the house in order. It's been a while since we've had company which means even longer since a thorough cleaning. I'm about to attack the family room - wish me luck! Meanwhile, it's the most beautiful day outside and the garden keeps calling me. Hopefully if I'm productive indoors that will be my reward ( I need the carrot on a stick approach). At the moment I don't even know where the vaccum is:0(

Why wasn't I born one of those women who loves to do housework? Does anyone know if there is a pill you can take?

Mary

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Mary, I'm in the same boat. I want to be outside but I need to catch up on the inside. I worked on it yesterday and will again today. If you run across the 'I loved housework' pill send me a couple please. Be careful if the vacuum's hiding. It might jump out and attack you, lol!

It's hotter here today than yesterday. Yesterday it hit 90F. It's hard for me to believe some of you are experiencing such cold temps. I could use a little cooling down.

Marie, you sil sounds like he's an all around great guy. Brad's easy going like that too. It makes life easier when you don't sweat the small stuff. I try...

I like our silver car best.

Cynthia, lol on Dannie in the tub. What a cute shot. My little black cat, Monty, is the only one afraid of storms. He wraps himself up in an afghan, head and all until it passes.

Deanne, Oh how I wish I had the time to fuss with my containers like that. Someday I will again... Can't wait to see the weekly progression of the containers.

Laundry, dishes and the vacuum call. I wish mine would go hide somewhere!

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Oh, I want to be outside today too! The wind finally died. Last night was a delight to be in the garden. I also spent about 20 minutes for the garden walk this a.m. I could actually hear the birds again. I could also hear the mooing of the neighbors cows. The wild flowers are blooming in the road ditches and all the animal babies are emerging. The other night a mother deer crossed the highway and following her was the tiniest fawn. I actually stopped right on the road and let it cross. This is a sparsely traveled highway. The other day I looked out the window at work and there were 3 ducklings about to cross the street, I could see that they were going to be hit. Of course I was helpless, then suddenly one turned back and ran and the others followed. Whew!

Jaden becomes a big baby when the skies begin to rumble.

The countertops are in and look great, but everything is a mess. I'm not real crazy about how the countertops look with the wallpaper that's on the backsplash, so I guess that will have to go too. Rick had a meeting last night so we didnt get the sink back in. So I decided I would work in the garden and ignore the whole mess. I did get another garden in shape for the most part, mulched, weeded and deadheaded. It was probably the one that was in the worst shape, so it was quite an accomplishment, but as I walked around this a.m. I took stock of which area needed me the most next.

Mary, I actually feel sorry for women whose love is cleaning. Id much rather have a love like gardening:o)

bug, your weather sounds just like ours. There was rain around us yesterday, but we didnt get any. 90% chance was the prediction. Check out the link below on auto recycling. My dad has been in this business for over 40 years and my grandpa before him.

Chelone, we have the same frustrations with some of our customers, many who speak very poor english.

Eden, a first home is always very exciting. More exciting for you is the expressed interest in gardening.

Deanne, Ive planted Nora Leigh twice and Becky Towe once and still have no variegated phlox in my garden.

Kathy, I got a Sonic Care a couple of months ago and really like it. Its a bummer when you really work on your teeth and still have issues.

Ahh, Cynthia if it were only that easy.

I wonder how things are going for Cindy.

Michelle

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Michelle-did you get some rain? It sure looks like it's going to be a weird weather season. There is talk of a cold front and rain sometime toward the weekend, or beginning of next week here. Let's hope so! I was really happy with the way my countertops turned out. I sponge painted them both times. I've got a few chips in them-youngsters tend to bang the bar stools into the edge of the island, but no big deal, and they still look far better than they did before they were painted.
    A fountain sounds like a great idea for the money!

Deanne, I've never seen Nora Leigh, but just bought Becky Towe this spring. It's also variegated. My 'David' is really bad with powdery mildew this year. First time I've had any problems with it, but they are getting pretty big, and I may need to move some stuff in that area so they get better circulation.

Chelone, SO sorry you had to interact w/Verizon. We have them for our landline, and we have had a lot of problems. The lines in our area are so old, we used to lose our phone every time it rained. Never failed, they guy who responded always said that it didn't make any sense that we lost phone service because of rain. Lol, whether it made sense or not, that's what happened. They must have finally replaced the right thing, because it hasn't happened since. Or maybe it has and I don't know it. I'm about ready to eliminate it, because we usually use cell phones, and the computer is now a dish connection.

Eden-How cool to have a kid with a garden! I'm figuring my DD will, once she's in a house.

Aw, Cynthia..Dannie looks so sweet. Gus used to be afraid of thunder, and I felt so bad for him. He finally got over it, but it took a while, and he spent more than a few nights curled up next to me in bed. I had no idea you could buy prepared frozen steel cut oatmeal! I'll have to look and see if they have it around here. Lol, prolly not....unless it's smothered in some kind of gravy ;) It's serious meat and taters country.

Kathy, I apparently have a "bad mouth for teeth", lol! There's always something going on in there, that no amount of brushing, flossing or mouthwash will ward off :( I switched to "Tom's of Maine" toothpaste, and my teeth feel cleaner, we'll see if it makes any difference in my checkup. Even if it doesn't I really like it much better, it's not such a strong hit of mint.

'bug-Such a BIG thing when a youngster learns to whistle :) And a soccer goal, how cool! Lol, I remember trying to teach the kids to whistle and snap their fingers. Christina is still a pretty pathetic whistler...she can't get either of the dogs' attention. I guess as long as your DH's logic works for him....that's the main thing.
    BTW, I wasn't crackin' on red cars...I picked my car out brand new and red. Just didn't know I was going to turn around and marry a guy with a red vehicle fetish, lol! At this point, I'd be thrilled with anything that wasn't a red truck ;) Of course, I wouldn't turn down a brand new red Mustang, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Mary, I've often wondered if my MIL takes pills, or what her diet consists of, because she LOVES to clean! I can ignore housework pretty much forever. MIL even loves to detail vehicles inside and out. One year, she took both our trucks and did them...armor-alled every surface she could get to. I hopped in, braced my feet to slide in, and she had even done the floor. My foot slid and jammed my shin into the emergency brake. Apparently, the layer of dirt I had maintained in there WAS good for traction, lol! I'm lucky....my DD borrowed my vaccum, so I have a good excuse. Most of the downstairs is Pergo, but that's beside the point :)

Wish we could mix up the weather and even things out a little for all of us. We're looking at upper 80's today. We could send a little heat to Chelone and Deanne, and all be comfy!
    I gotta go water the pot ghetto, and get a little straightening up done. We're having company on Saturday, so I at least need to bale up the dog hair. One would THINK the dogs would be about done shedding their winter coat, but.....
    Have a good day, all!
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

It is breezy out there and warm. But I was indoors doing laundry. :( The super domestic housewife gene skipped my generation.

Well between errands that old van of ours just happened to pass the local nursery. There I found Coreopsis 'Pinwheel', Gaillardia 'Orange and lemons', Solidago Leraft, Malva sylvestris 'Purple Satin', wallflowers, and more. I haven't even planted the other stuff. Maybe this evening?

Michelle, neat about your Dad's recycling business! Both DH and DS love prowling such places for parts. (Didn't see your link) DH used to have a model A Ford.

Now for lunch and then more errands.
    Later!

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Hi All!

Things have been pretty crazy around here, but they seem to be easing up. Boy, life is handing me lemons and I'm sick of lemonade :)

Jake's ankle has turned out better than the ER doc made me fear: he separated the growth plate which runs across a growing boy's bone - he just needs a couple of weeks in a cast (which he can walk on as soon as he feels like it) and then some time in a boot (which you can remove to bathe, swim!). Yeah!

Zeus then proceeded to lick a "hot spot" about 6" X 4"! It's infected, he's running a temp, and his "wrist" is swollen (who knows, don't ask!) so he can't walk on that front foot! I'll swear he looks like I just picked him up off the side of the road, hobbling into the vet! They proceeded to shave him and charge me $300 for all the various tests/meds/etc. Good Grief!

I hope that it's all over now. I was on my last nerve :)

Dannie has an expression much like Zeus! He has that same slender face. He doesn't seem to bat a lash at thunder. Sorry to hear so many pets are fearful. I don't like to see them in pain!

Deanne, I love that basket! One year I took two of the half rounds and lined them with peat, filled with soil, then quickly put them together and wired shut. I think plugged it with my plants. It was one of my finer creations, but I haven't done that one since - I don't really have the right front porch for that.

I took a trip to a special nursery and can't wait to share my finds with you. Been too busy, but I think I can sneak in some potting tomorrow.

I did get my 'tufa potted up with alpines! I'll snap a picture.

I have to go and cook dinner....like others, my house is such a mess. I declare this coming Saturday field day and all hands will be on deck!

Twice daily on the ship the announcement would be:
    Sweepers, Sweepers, man your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweep down both fore and aft! Sweep down all lower decks, ladder wells and passageways! Dump all garbage clear of the fantail! Now sweepers!

I don't think a broom is going to help....might need a shovel for this job :)

Saucy

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Anyone in New England area want to go? The gardens looks very interesting in the full brochure that I received.

Email me if you're interested. I'm close and can take care of the details.

Saucy

• chelone
    16 years ago

Hey, great news on Jake! while you'd still probably rather have nothing broken you have to be relieved. And a removeable boot and swimming has to beat the hell out of a low-rider lawnchair in a kiddie pool. I have a 3 legged dog, too, Saucy. Monday can't get here fast enough for me. :(

Why do garden tours always come on the same day/weekend?! there's a big tour in my area that weekend, so I'll have to sit out Tower Hill (never been there and would love to see it, though), and CT. (Sue, Monique, Ego, etc.).

The forms came off the walls yesterday morning and we paid the foundation guy. There is some confusion about whether or not they will need to inspect the walls, so the helpmeet will call today for clarification. Then the drainage must be set in place and the backfilling begins. I promise to get some pictures together and want to ask your opinions about whether or not we should have some of the "soil" carried off and replaced with loam, or not. But that will keep for a bit.

The awnings are finally up! My awning buddy and I put them yesterday afternoon. I had them on the frames, the screwdrivers, shears, and tie-wraps all laid out. I had the step ladders on the terrace. We trooped over the BIL's and carried back the two extension ladders. We had them up in an hour. My project for this afternoon or tomorrow is the lay out the canopy and give the sides that shed the water a quick scrub (really grimey looking... ewww). Tomorrow I will put it up and lace it in place. I've never done it alone, but if I get some help with the hoist, I'm certainly capable of lacing it down. It fits really well in the first place and that's a help. Maybe putting it up will hurry summer temperatures along? (it's 45 degrees this morning).

Here's an old-fashioned, very fragrant Iris from my yard:

{{gwi:161222}}

Have a great day, friends, I've gotta scoot.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Mornin'!

No sleep for the wicked I guess.
    3am: frogs woke me.
    4am: birds chirped away, loudly!
    4:30am: cat wars, Charlotte woofs
    5am: DH snores and talks in sleep.
    I get up. What's the point?

So 89% humidity so far with mist rising from the pond. Sunny with cloudy periods expected. High 28.(82.4F) UV index 9 or very high. This means that while I'm staking, weeding and edging, the gravel pit will be very audible. But work needs to get done, so I'll be outdoors and save the guest room prep for tonight, groceries and cat litter for tomorrow morning...

Nothing exciting here, but just to say that yesterday's mammogram was the first time it was truly uncomfortable and painful. I always thought folks were wusses, but I guess that's just not so. I'm actually bruised. I'm sure you needed to hear that...

As for plants, clematis are finally starting to show and my white baptisia is just lovely! So exciting to see the first blooms! My B. 'Carolina Moonlight' has its first bloom too. Maybe I'll find time to take a few photos one day soon! Chelone, your iris shot is so beautiful! A calming sight to start my day.

I need to make a list for my friends caring for Charlotte. Nothing complicated, but still needed. Then somehow I need people to water things and mow...but it may just all die while I'm gone because there is NO ONE AT ALL around here to help. :( They're wall working on crops or away at cottages.

Off to get the show on the road.
    'bug

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Quick and chilly good morning! I've been skimming when time allows and feel for and with all the ups, downs, lefts, rights that this group inevitably encounters.

The Park is screaming!!!!! I'm thrilled and plan on posting a thread this weekend to take you on an updated tour. You Know I couldn't have done it without all of you!!!

Celebrated my 50th last weekend with a really nice "surprise" party thrown by Rich, Kyle and DSD Jen. About 30 people, incredible food made by chef BIL, all garden based gifts, and some "am I really 50?????? moments" which my 83yo Dad scoffed at :-)

My sister topped the day with a gift of 50 pink roses cut from the garden on land where we grew up. How they got 50 matching roses is a mystery, but it was obvious that none came from a florist. Through the tears, I think I was gracious with my thank you.

Did you know, 'bug, that Foxglove are where the fairies sleep at night??? There are still friends of Ky's whom remember peeking while trying to be cool :-)

Can't wait 'til I can catch up this weekend and share the fruits of our labor.

Best -

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

TGIF!

Happy Birthday Martie! Sound like you had a fun and memorable day. That's what birthdays should be about.

Saucy, that garden tour looks intriguing but I've got a deal going through the New England forum that day where my garden will be toured at some point-probably later in the afternoon after everybody troops up from Monique's. In the morning we'll be in southern CT touring George's(EGO45) garden and attending the annual sale at Oliver's nursery. For those of you in the area, come join us! Details are posted over at the NE forum. This weekend I've got to get my butt in gear and get things spiffed up in preparation.

I'm going AWOL from work this morning at around 11:30 and heading up to Brattleboro, VT to a garden center recommended by Steve Silk called Walker Farm (website link below). Supposedly it's a great haunt for unusual annuals and I've been having a heck of a time finding what I want locally so I'm hoping to score big. If not, on the way home I'll swing by another place in Amherst, MA that he also recommended. At any rate, I'm looking forward to some quiet driving time.

Enjoy!

Sue

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Good morning!

Well, the sun in finally out here - we are promised warmer weather to come finally. My mail carrier cautions us not to complain about the weather since it is one of the few pleasures in life on which we are not taxed!

I've been studying the 50 states and their capitals all week with DS, his big test is today - go ahead, ask me any one! He studies much better orally, so we've all been helping him. He actually had a choice whether to take the test today or Monday - he chose today, which is a good thing; I'm not sure I could take much more!

Sue, I just briefly clicked on the link for the place in VT - WOW! I only checked out the A's on the container plant list - they have 18 different abutilons! I haven't found much good stuff for containers either, and the few things I mail ordered from Avant Gardens I've seen larger specimens of locally. My brugs are starting to take off too, though I haven't seen any buds. I keep talking to myself (DH and the kids are tired of hearing me say it) about how they were sticks in the basement all winter with a few sickly leaves, and now look at them. It really is amazing!

Saucy, so glad Jake's ankle is better than you'd originally thought. That removable boot is a drag (I had one in the summer when I broke my foot a few years ago) but it is so much better than a cast. I'd love to come visit Tower Hill sometime this summer - I've never been there.

Martie, nice to see you! Happy belated 50th - the roses sound lovely. Looking forward to pics of your park.

Chelone, I couldn't help but sigh when I read of your bout with Verizon. We deal with a lot of those automatic switchboards here, and it is so frustrating to spend all that time pressing numbers only to finally get a real person you can't understand! You handled the situation with more tact and grace than many people would. I've actually learned to decipher many foreign accents during my years of working here between dealing with people on the phone and our own clients - I joke that I speak many forms of broken English. It is much easier to understand people in person than on the telephone - the hand gestures and facial expressions go a long way.

I do have a funny Verizon story though: a few years after we bought our house, DH accidentally cut the phone wire that brought the service into the house - he thought the wire was no longer in use (I think he watches too much DIY TV, but that's another story...). We were without a phone all weekend, and though I'm usually the designated phone person in our house I delegated this one to him, for obvious reasons. He was in the process of making the call from work to have the repair done, when one of his co-workers overheard him. Turns out the guy's wife works for Verizon, and he called her - they not only replaced our cut line for free, but all the lines on the street got replaced too! Oh yeah, and there was the time that lightning struck a tree in the neighbor's yard and somehow travelled to the phone box on the side of the house and blew it to pieces. The Verizon tech that came out to fix it was amazed, he took the remains of the box to put in their "hall of fame".

Well anyway, time to start the day - duty calls. I was really tempted to play hooky today, but when you work for family you are only one step up from being an indentured servent - no sick days here!

Waving hi to all I missed - enjoy the day everyone!

-Wendy

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Saucy-Heck with it....switch to lemon meringue pie ;) I feel your pain, girl. I've had runs of luck that just made me wonder what the hell I ever did to anyone. Glad to hear that Jake's ankle isn't as bad as originally thought. Great that he can "do some time" in a boot rather than a cast. Good luck with the cleaning crew...mine usually leap overboard when I try that, lol!

Chelone, I say anytime you can get rid of "soil" and have loam, go for it :) Of course, that could just be my bitterness at gardening a lump of clay that has had about 1 1/2" of rain all season. DH is listening carefully to your progress with the garage. We need to build one....as soon as he comes around to the idea that it needs to be connected to the house, and a few other finer points.
    Hey, I have that iris, too! One of my favorites!

'bug-sounds like you're off to a great start. Well, if not great, at least early...and ya got sore boobies, so you have THAT goin' for ya :( Hope your day improves!

Martie-Happy Birthday!
    {{gwi:161223}}
    Wow, what a sister! I can't imagine the time it took to gather those roses, and what a sweet gesture-puts tears in my eyes!

Yay for you, Sue! Have a wonderful time!!

Wendy, I lol that you're a zone warmer than me and hoping for warmer weather. We've got near record breaking heat here. Not much humidity, though. Makes it more comfortable, but the fields are losing moisture FAST :(
    Ah, yes the State capitols! I love reading what's going on with everyone's kids. Reminds me of stuff I haven't thought about in ages. Spelling words and multiplication tables were always fun around here. Neither of my kids can spell, and text messaging certainly isn't helping. Have you ever heard the Animaniacs song of the state capitols? It's really cute. I was LOL at your Verizon story. I'd have made DH make the call too. The DIY network can be pretty hazardous!

Okay, I'm going to have to attempt to make the house presentable. We're going out with the farmers for Mexican tonight, I have to take DD to the eye doc in the morning, and we have company tomorrow afternoon. Guess it's now or never!
    Brenda

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Still cleaning here :( I'm presently waiting for the 'scrubbing bubbles' to do their job in the tub. It's certainly been summer here for the last week. We've had the heat without the humidity too and that's been great but the muggies are supposed to start creeping in for the weekend. Busy weekend of family obligations ahead, grad open house tomorrow and Father's Day bbq on Sunday. Brad and I are thinking about getting up early on Sunday and taking a trip out to the flea market. I haven't been this year.

Martie, sounds like you had a great bd. I'm right behind you on the 50 thing. I've only got a few weeks left. I'm wondering where the last decade went. Seems I was just turning 40.

Sue, oh I'm glad I'm not close to that nursery. I was drooling looking over the plant list. I was also surprised at how much of that stuff I have, lol. I'd like to get my hands on some of those salvias though.

Wendy, I remember studying the state caps with my kids too! Wonder how I'd do on them now?

Brenda, Mexican sound so good! Have a margarita for me!

Saucy, wish I was close. I'd love to go on the tour with you. Glad Jake's doing ok too!

Chelone, beautiful iris! Thanks for sharing it.

Marie, I've had nights like that. You'll sleep well tonight. Enjoy your time with Adam

Well, I'd better go check on those bubbles and see if they have their scrubbing done. Have a great Friday!

Wendy reminded me of this game of placing the states I'm linking below.

Eden

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Eden, I got an 84%, placing 42 out of 50 states correctly. I've had the atlas glued to me for the past week - ask me again in a year I'd probably fail!

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness, you HAVE to see these! Tell me if they don't bring tears to your eyes...

:www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA:
    :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDB9zwlXrB8:

• gardenbug
    16 years ago
  • Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Good Saturday Morning, I'm on my way over to Jenni's to assess the gardens and start doing some cleanup. I'll take the camera and get some pictures. We'll need Idyll input! Just wanted to say 'hi' before I get going.

So Sue, what interesting goodies did you come home with yesterday???

Eden

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all, happy Saturday!!! We are getting some better weather here the last couple days and Ive gotten most of the plants in the ghetto in containers or in the ground. I only have one last major project to tackle with the containers and its something new that I need help with so thats going to take a while to get to. I want to plant a huge basket and hang it on the pine in the back corner of the yard. I need to make sure to find a bracket thats strong enough to support the weight. Doug thinks we can design something and pay someone who does wrought iron to make it for me.

Saucy, I love the idea of putting two half rounds together!!! Neat. Do you have any pictures of it? ~~~ I really wish I could do the Tower Hill tour on the 24th but Im working that weekend. Bummer. I cant to down to CT to see Moniques and Sues gardens either. ~~~ Glad to hear that Jakes injury isnt as bad as you initially thought.

Chelone, you must be really happy to get those awnings up. ~~ Love that iris photograph. What a lovely blossom and I love the out of focus chairs in the background. Beautiful!

Bug, Bummer that they bruised you when you had your mammogram. Good grief! Thats never happened to me but I know its not uncommon.

OK Sue, inquiring minds need to know what you scored for plants in VT yesterday. Im jealous, that plant list is out of this world. Im going to have to check that place out at some point.

Wendy, LOL that your DH cut the phone line. And the lightening story is unbelievable. Weve been lucky that weve never had any lightening damage here although some of the tall pines around have been hit.

Brenda, gorgeous pic of that clematis!!!!

Eden thanks for the link to that state test. I got a 90% but they cheated me out of one that I actually had right but I didnt drop the darned thing in the exact location. Those states in the middle with nothing around them are difficult to place exactly on the spot. It was fun to do though. ~~ Will you come and clean my house when you are done with yours???? I absolutely cannot seem to bring myself to do much more than wash the toilets lately. I figure if the bathrooms are clean the rest of the dirt can take care of itself. LOL

Michelle!!!! Thank you so much!!! What a fantastic surprise! Those geraniums are terrific. I was surprised when the UPS man dropped off such a large box. Ill snap a pic of them when I get them settled into their new pots. Thanks for the tape too. Ill be able to have Doug fix my humming bird now.

Martie, how great to hear from you stranger! A very Happy Birthday to you. Sounds like you had a marvelous time. It also sounds like your gardens are making great progress.
    {{gwi:161225}}

Ok Doug and I are going to go for a bike ride so Id better get my bike clothes on and motivate.

Have a great day everyone!
    Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

Hello to my far flung Idyll buddies. I've been a workin' fool this mornin'. I disassembled the pump we had set up in the foundation hole, clearing the way for the backfilling that is to occur today (is now underway). I waterproofed the deck canopy and have it drying in the (dwindling) sunshine. I will attempt to put it up today (alone). I have cleaned the kitchen, the catbox, and my person. I have paid bills and have to go to the post office since the stamps went to work with the helpmeet... :( (I was rather hoping I wouldn't have to leave the compound today).

The garage project seems to be rolling along nicely. I'm almost a little frightened by it, frankly. I check the building forum periodically and the horror stories abound. THUSFAR, we've had no problems. We've hired local guys who've been in the trade for years, we've followed the town code and have paid attention to setbacks and details. It must be different when you hire a large GC firm and are just one of many, many projects underway. To a one, every guy we've hired has been here when they said they would (weather permitting!) and they've done exactly what we wanted them to do. Maybe it makes a difference when they know they may run into you in the Post office, bank, or coffee shop? but overall, I think pros are pros.

Michelle, the urn I want to know about is the one with your prize winning arrangement in it. What's it made of? how old is it? where did you get it? I love it. I applaud the fountain idea. I've wanted one for our "pond"/muckhole/wallow for several years now, but it always falls off the bottom of "the list". ;) We have, what the helpmeet optimistically refers to as "wasserspiel", but in reality its only an outlet from a 1 1/2" black plastic pipe forced through a smaller fitting. It can sound like an extended bathroom trip, if you know what I mean... :)

Deanne, my photography needs some SERIOUS help. I still can't figure out how to reduce amount of thingys (detail) in the pictures. I used to be able to take 30+ shots, now I'm down to 17-18 and can't find the "rosetta stone" in the tome they call a manual. Oh well, I'll keep trying and maybe I'll hit paydirt. One day, perhaps, you'll be able to give me some advice on a tripod and some basics to consider when composing shots. Until then, I'll marvel at your handiwork (alliums reflected in birdbaths, etc.) and 'bug's. Thanks for the compliment... the chairs "just happened". ;)

Wendy, I still haven't potted the Brug. or the... what the hell is it? (braincramp). I want to get that done this weekend, it's too much of a "score" to leave unfussed over.

What were the results of Katy's exam? We'll know about Rex on Monday.

Belated birthday wishes to Martie and Da... (from both of whom I'd really like to hear more!).

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Well Chelone is ahead of me by far. Still not sleeping well here, but up at 7 to do the cat box, set up the sprinkler, (no rain in sight through next Wednesday, but 90F will hold. Ugh), then the dishes started in the DW, then 2 beds made up for company. Now I'm off to shower.

DH has a birthday event for a hockey buddy today, then DS Adam arrives with some friends. I wonder how many!? Bought steaks and corn on the cob and fresh tomatoes and salad and ice cream...so they should not starve. Charlotte got brushed so she'll be presentable. :-)

Can't wait to see Jenni's garden. You saw the befores of Sarah's, but I think things are still at the "during" phase though I haven't seen photos lately. Here's the back from end of May, with sod. I think the lollipop tree is gone along with some of the weedy shrubs and perhaps the waterfall ugliness improved upon somehow. (??!!**??)Lots more to do though....
    {{gwi:161226}}
    Then the front. She planted a hosta garden under the windows and DSIL installed soaker hoses there. I'm supposed to do the circle. The red rocks have been removed recently. Input please!!!!!(much shade...not sure how much though)
    {{gwi:161227}}

Later!
    'bug

• drema_dianne
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Martie! I will follow with a pic on Monday. I need to work on resizing, and sometimes it doesn't quite work for me. It sounds like you had a great celebration for a momentous occaission!

Deanne, I have to tell you that your climbing hydrangea is awesome! So beautiful. The year before last, Skip accidentally mowed mine down so I moved it out of the line of fire, then he weed wacked it in its new spot last year. So my poor little guy is pretty beat up. But, he hasn't given up hope. I have pointed it out to everyone so they know just where he is situated. Hopefully he can put on some new growth this year, without incident.

Brenda, I love your pic of the clematis and roses. So pretty!

I hope Cindy is doing okay. Hopefully she can check in and let us know how things are going.

Mary, I passed a group of red Shirley poppies this morning and thought of you....I hope mine grow next year. I planted a bunch of seeds, but I think I did it too late.

We are going on vacation the last week of the month. I am pretty sure we are hanging around the house. Or we might go camping for a couple of days.. we were sort of thinking about the Bruce Peninsula in Canada by the Georgian Bay. This morning my daughter Jen ran in a 5K race, so I went out early to cheer her on. This is the first time she has entered a race and hopes to do more in the future. She said it is a lot different running on the uneven pavement that this particular race was on and the sidewalks and paths of the local park where she usually runs, and a LOT different than the treadmill at the gym. She has worked really hard this year to get fit. She exercises everyday and has so far lost about 35 pounds.

Bug, best of luck while you are gone. You must be so excited. I know I am getting excited about my upcoming little one. I got to see the sonogram, and she is getting a 3 D one next. Amazing.

That's about it from me.. not much else going on. I am just enjoying this lovely weather, my garden is probably the best it has ever been. Some of my plants are getting to a good size, spreading out like they are supposed to, and it is beginning to head in the direction I want to go. Next year I want to plant some trees, including fruit. I am also planning out my soon to be, maybe next year potager. I think I am going to put some blueberries in there.

Chelone I am glad that everything is going so well with your construction. Nice when that happens.

Hope you all have a great Saturday! I have floor duty and an open house, but fun fun fun tommorrow! One more week till my vacation. Can't wait. This is my first time off since I took this new job 16 months ago. I am soooo ready for this:)

D.

• chelone
    16 years ago

OK, back in for a quick break. I've had to leave the compound twice... err... bad planning on my part. Once for the post office and the second for more line. I am in the process of lacing the canopy on the frame over the deck; such fun I've not had in great while. ;)

You'd be amazed at how much piece of Sunbrella in excess of 13' x 22' can weigh. I fan folded it strategically and then hoisted it over my shoulder. I then ascended the 8' step ladder and managed to get it over the ridgepole of the frame, 3 1/2' over the top of the stepladder. PANT. I secured the corners with tie-wraps, then began lacing the 18' side of the deck (this is the gable end of the canopy), starting in the center and working my way out the corners. Then I went up on the roof and began lacing that part (opposite the 18' side), it was at that point that I ran out of line and had to go to the hardware store. So far, flying solo, I've spent an hour on the lacing. (It would take two experience installers about an hour to get it on and laced down tightly.) Lacing isn't brain surgery, but you have to be organized, methodical, and patient to get the canvas in proper alignment over the frame and laced tautly. I've never tried it all by my onesy.

The weather is glorious today! the sunshine I worried was on the wane is still here, in glorious abundance. What a nice change.

I have meant to inquire about Cindy, too (thanks for the reminders, guys!). It's been awhile since we've heard anything and you've been in my thoughts on an off in the past week/so. Warm thoughts for you at this tough time. Here's a peaceful shot from my garden that I hope you'll enjoy:

{{gwi:161228}}

(Wendy, that's the Primula I bought the day we traded plants. I LOVE it and it seems to like the site very much. Your teeny-tiny Polygonatum is right in that vicinity, too.)

It will be such fun to see Eden's daughter's garden. 'bug, how do you think Polygonatum commutum would fare in your daughter's zone? I just love it in combination with Hostas. And what about Asarums? Faced, as I am, with so much shade/partial shade I've really come to appreciate the subtle grace of leaf form and stature juxtaposed one to the other. Don't get me wrong, I love flowers, but have long thought the simplicity of foliage contrast is every bit as fun and interesting. Oh, and don't forget the ultimate survivors... FERNS. (ferns are rather like whipped cream).

And here's a belated birthday wish for Martie (and Da):

{{gwi:161229}}

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Just back from a lunch by the river.

Thanks Chelone. I love ferns and greenery, foliage too. I also like grasses. Will have to see what DSIL's thoughts are. He's NOT a fan of grasses...YET! DD loves them. I don't want that area too elaborate. Simple and soothing is my take on it.

• phyl345
    16 years ago

i am not an idyll ... & i am sure you would welcome me if i *asked* to join (grin) ... however, i would never keep up my part of the bargain as far as all the pleasant conversation you share with each other ... with that said ...

chelone, your pictures were sooooooo perfect for the stressful day i'm having, i just had to say thanks a bunch!!! ... phyl

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

A quickie from me. I'm waiting for DH to finish getting ready. We are taking my Dad along with my mom, DD and Kenzie out for dinner for Father's Day. We will go and eat at one of the resturants that over look the lake. Unless we get rained out. Yes, we finally got much needed rain. About 1/2 inch. It was fun to stand in the house and read the amount with the wireless rain guage that Rick got for Christmas. I didn't get much gardening done since I am still reloading my cabinets after the countertop install and I needed to make food for tomorrow's company.

Chelone, oh, that urn. LOL I bought 2 of those at Sam's 2 years ago to use at my DD's wedding. I put silk ivy toparies in them. They are cast cement. I can't afford the antique ones. You should have been at IU3 last summer. We went to one place that had alot of antique garden art. There were some of they coolest urns I have ever seen, but the price tag would knock your socks off.

I'll be back when I can.

Michelle

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Michelle: "It was fun to stand in the house and read the amount with the wireless rain guage that Rick got for Christmas"

See?

That's why I like this group.

But I'll spare you (most of) the details of installing the new window box brackets. Each bracket was 4 piece parts, so I had to assemble them sitting on the steps first, then drew a picture and took them apart before I started the 'job.' I have zero spatial skills, so that's my approach when dealing with something that has no instructions. Apparantly it was supposed to be intuitive. Of course the screws on the old brackets were all rusted in, and I figured the house would collapse with all the body language I was putting on them to get them off. Needle nose pliers finally did the trick after I got purchase by using a screwdriver as a LEVER. I won't tell you how long this all took, but not much else was accomplished today! And then I had to trim the azaleas in front of the window boxes so that I could see them.

Red Geraniums carried over from last year and variegated plectranthus. The geraniums have been putting on growth on the patio and have dozens of flowers and just as many buds. I like to have things a decent size before I put anything out front :)

So Martie, happy 50th! I liked turning 50, much less traumatic than 40, and I don't mind looking towards 60 cause that puts me closer to retirement.

Deanne, love the birdseye view of your garden. You must be so happy you planted that climbing hydrangea. How old is it anyway? It's a stunner.

Brenda, your clem is gorgeous! I didn't even notice the rose until Drema mentioned it. Hi Drema!

Chelone, your property looks so lovely, I'm soothed by your photos too. I'm always happiest with my shade gardens than my sun gardens. (My pretend sun gardens, they're really shade, but not as deep as the others.)

I don't know where Eden and GB and Mary get the time and energy to work on other peoples gardens, I can't even keep up with my own. I'm in awe. Eden, we need pics of what's going on at Jenni's.

Sue, what did you find in Vermont. When I read your comment about 'unusual annuals' I wondered what was meant. Thinking maybe I can solve my own obssessive need to grow things indoors in winter, by growing for the Idylls and then bombing your homes with unexpected packages in spring.

I have to rustle up some dinner. The dark chocolate caramels I just ate were satisfying, but I think I need to find some cold veggies for dessert.

Cynthia

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I love to hear from Cynthia, don't have an explanation, but I do. I often wonder if you're a vegetarian, but I often tell myself not, that you're just eating as I would if I were you. I find myself envious of your life many times - please be flattered :)

I am very tired. I had a long day - dressed for outdoors at 7 a.m. While I can't tell much was done from eye, my body says otherwise.

Our birds, much like tropical plants, have suffered from the weather, but today I deemed it summer and cleaned their cage and set them up on the front porch where they happily exchange musings with the other local birds....or so it seems.

I have so many plants to share with you! I have impressed myself with my containers - it's fun to keep up with the Jone's on Idyll....I think you've all taught me well :)

I am so happy that Phyl dropped in. I am just as soothed as you....and if you have a chance to visit, the stroll is wonderfully set out and just as relaxing.

I hope everyone is having fun in the garden this weekend! Thanks for all who coulda/shoulda/woulda wanted to visted Tower Hill with me, but I just got notice that I have family flying in from Colorado....not even a chance! What's with the popularity of the 24th?

Can't wait 'til Idyllunion....thought about everyone today!

Saucy

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning to everyone in Idylland,

We have a beautiful day here for Fathers Day and Im wishing all the Dads out there the happiest of days.

Doug and I went for a little 16 mile bicycle ride yesterday and had a lovely time, then off to Sams Club to get some more potting soil (yes I know Im really finished with the containers but one never knows) then off to the neighbors house to celebrate their daughters graduation from High School, then back home to fix dinner for some friends. Phew! We conked out at 9:00PM! What a couple of old farts we are. Cant party until the wee hours anymore. RE the bicycle ride, that was my first of the year and if wed gone any further I wouldnt have been able to sit down for a week. Id love to go out again this morning but Im going to wait a couple days. Doug and I want to be able to do a 100 mile ride before the end of the summer.

Im so happy we are finally getting some warmer weather so the tropicals can start growing again. The brugs put the brakes on when we had those 55 degree days. I cant wait to get flowers on them this year.

Cynthia, I love the story about the window boxes! Youre a hoot. Im the same about spatial things. Doug says I have no mechanical ability at all and he cringes when he sees me with tools in hand, especially sharp tools. LOL Please post photographs of the planted window boxes???? Also, Id love to get a care package of unusual annuals from you in the spring. A woman can never have too many plants. ~~ I thought of you this week, on one of my trips to Loews I found this gorgeous specimen of Sansevieria trifasciata moonshine. Have you ever seen that plant? It looks a lot like an agave. It has beautiful sword-like leaves that are a gorgeous silver color. Well it was tucked in amongst these ficus and sorry looking ferns and begged me to take it home. How could I refuse? Ill have to grab a pic of it for you. It looks like a plant that would live happily ever after at your house. If you like it Ill have to divide off a pup of it for you when I repot it. ~~ Re the hydrangea, you bet Im delighted I planted that beauty! I had to dig out some old photographs to figure out when I actually planted it and Ive figured it was in 1995, so twelve years ago.

Saucy, I cant wait to see all your containers! As you can probably tell Im addicted to container gardens. LOL

Michelle, thanks again for the geraniums! I love them! ~~ Where did you find a wireless rain gauge? Id love to have one. So happy to hear that you finally got some rain.

Hi Phyl! Nice to hear from you, hope you stick around.

Chelone, another beautiful photograph!!! Love the statue in the greenery. Right up my alley. ~~ Did you get your awning finished? It sounds like it was a huge job to tackle by yourself.

Drema, I cant believe your DH mowed down your CH!!!! Good grief! Thats just the sort of thing Doug would do. One year I carefully planted ferns along the back foundation and in a couple weeks Doug came by with the week whacker and mowed them down! I was NOT happy. LOL ~~ Congratulations to your Jen for losing the weight and getting fit. How fun to be able to cheer her on in a race. You must be so proud of her.

Ok time to motivate, well get another cup of coffee anyway, have a great day everyone
    Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

Phyl., here's hopin' today will be less stressful than yesterday was. pleased am I that my garden shots lifted your mood for a bit; that's the point of sharing them!

I've spent an eventful morning up on the roof of our home. I managed to get the canopy in place and laced down securely yesterday (my fingies are a bit stiff this morning) and today I am going to make a baffle to deflect rain spatter when it comes down in torrents. It's hard to explain, but the actual ridgepole of the frame extends over the slope of the roof about 24" and the "gable" ends of that part of the frame return to the deck on a sloping angle; the part of the canopy that extends over the roof is actually triangular when it's layed flat:
    {{gwi:161230}}
    Rain dripping from the frame onto the roof, and a hard driving rain creates spatter and that spatter tends to miss the gutter and puddle in the piece that closes off the opening from the roof to the deck:
    {{gwi:161231}}
    My "mission" today is to take the pattern I made and make a clear plastic "curtain" that will hang from the frame and act a first line of defence, thwarting spatter and permitting rain to sheet down the roof into the gutter. The design of the canopy is complicated, but I wanted more height under it than could have been achieved with a simple shed roof arrangement. I am pretty fussy when it comes to aesthetic considerations (an expensive trait, my friends). Once I have the kinks worked out of the clear baffle I'll zip on the screen panels and we'll get the furniture set up.

I mowed the lawns yesterday afternoon. They look so pretty when they're freshly mown! You know, it's funny, but I don't object to lawn mowing one bit (I resent moving things the helpmeet's left "out", but I get over it pretty quickly). I clap on the ear protection, sunscreen, sun glasses, and I CRUISE! I regard it as aerobic activity. I love watching the birds move right into the newly mown territory in search of insects that have been disturbed. I truly believe that keeping the lawns in good condition without resorting to heavy applications of chemicals actually improves the stock of wildlife and that, in turn, keeps the lawns in good shape. I try to mulch when I mow, but sometimes the grass gets too high and bagging is the best solution. I was gratified to see all the time spent with the dandilion fork is paying dividends. My goal is to refine the perimeter of the lawns and eliminate interior obstacles (read: highbush blueberries).

Cynthia, I want to know about the urn with the Muses dancing around the basin. I just love it! I am a complete sucker for anything Classical/Neo-classical... and would dearly love to conjure some sort of really formal garden arrangement. The logical candidate would be the helpmeet's vegetable garden, but he's having no part of my hare-brained schemes. Sigh. ;) As one with rather "paste-y" skin I naturally gravitate to shade, pity I didn't learn that lesson earlier in my 4+ decades circling Old Sol!

Michelle, what do you do with your urns in the winter? they look as though they're BIG (= heavy). We have 2 in cast cement that I love and they come indoors when the temperatures begin to hit the freezing point reliably. I'd love to be able to leave them out and develop the lovely moss patina, but don't want to risk cracking.

I have to get going on the baffle. Talk atcha later.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Cynthia, here's one to put on your growing list, Hibiscus acetosella 'Maple Sugar'. It's a staple in my container and tropical gardens and I can't find it anywhere this year. Other plants in short supply this year are tender Salvias and a vaiety of Fuchsias. I haven't seen one S. coccinea or a leucantha for that matter. Monique finally found the tender purple leaf Cotinus at Avant Gardens on Friday and picked one up for me.

I did manage to spend a few bucks at this place in VT on Friday. Some of the stuff I got...Melianthus, Salvia 'Hot Lips', a few Coleus, varigated Colocasia, this really cool Gynura 'Royal Velvet, variegated Cuphea, bat faced Cuphea, Pentas 'Stars and Stripes, double purple Datura, a neat Fuchsia called 'Coachman' and a bunch of other plants more common but just around in my neck of the woods. It was worth the trip but getting picked over. Next year I'll try to remember to go in May.

Tom finished painting the shed yesterday. It's very Caribbean. I'll try to get the area cleaned up and the window box planted and take a picture.

Well, I got chased out of the garden yesterday by torrential thunderstorms and today it's suppoed to be 90 so I'd best get cracking and get the patio cleaned up and the rest of the containers planted.

Enjoy!

Sue

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

The heat is just oppressive..and much as the garden weeding MUST be tended to, I simply can't get out there. The mosquitoes are there in full force too. The lawns everywhere are crunchy brown. The delphiniums are huge and tall, so I would expect fierce winds and rain soon. ;-)

For the third night in a row I've not slept beyond 3 am...so I don't feel on top of things. DS & friend Julia left at 7:30 after a run around the block (8 miles)and waffles with strawberries and whipped cream in their bellies.

DD phoned yesterday to say that they are buying feeder fish for the pond and that she wants to go canoing today. As a very active person, the bulging tummy has been limiting, not to mention that her DH discourages it. Nevertheless, she manages to play goal in SS's soccer games and also puts in some street hockey time with the neighborhood kids. This coming week her DH will be out of town in Manitoba, but at the first hint of being needed at home, will be on the next plane.

In the garden I am particularly fond of the white baptisia still blooming. Clematis Niobe is looking fine too. Gillenia is covered in star shaped blooms. These are a comfort given the weed situation. I hope for a few cool days before heading out to Edmonton for hard work, particularly in the vegetable garden..

Today is DH's voice recital, so I had best try to locate something to wear for that.

Welcome Phy. Do join us and send along some photos of your own too!

Ciao,
    'bug

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

DD called...maybe a grandchild TODAY. I told this baby to wait until the 26th!

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

Martie - Belated Birthday greetings. Glad you have fun celebrating as that's what birthdays are for.

So Ittybittybug was thinking of making an appearance on Fathers Day?! Keep us posted!!

Sue - next year you just have to come here in spring to plant shop. I saw Hibiscus Maple Sugar, tons of unusal Salvias, tropicals and hard to find annuals at several of our local nurseries. As you say things are getting picked over, otherwise I'd send you a care package with Doug.

Hi Phyl! Stop by any time - you don't need to post reguarly, just when the spirit moves you. We have everything from daily contributors, once a week to once in a blue moon. It's great to hear from everyone, no matter what the frequency.

Last night was David's guitar recital and he played beautifully. One of his best friends came with us and the boys had a sleep over after. They were up at 7 AM and I sat while they swam and built a fire to grill their own sausages for breakfast. Fun boy stuff.

Poor DH took the red-eye from CA Friday to make it to David's reciatal but he seems a little better rested this morning. I'm making his favortie Moussaka for dinner and we have a surprise to give him.

TIme to check on everyone - hope to be back later.

Mary

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Just popped in to say Hi, and Happy Father's day :) Bug, we'll all be on pins and needles until we hear about IttyBittyBug! I imagine your SIL will be proud as a peacock no matter what day the great event takes place, but what a cool Father's Day present that would make!
    Take care, all and have a good day!
    Brenda

• chelone
    16 years ago

TODAY, 'bug?

How's your blood pressure?

(hey, is Ittybittybug going to be the first "official" grandchild the Idylls have welcomed? forgive me if I'm wrong, there was a huge hunk of time when I was AWOL and several regulars "signed on". :) )

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I can only leave at 8PM...but leave home in an hour. Time is dragging even though lots still to do!

Chelone, heavens no! Bella and Kenzie were way before Ittybitty! Maybe even more but I'm not thinking straight.....

Bye for now!
    'bug

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Oh JOY! I can't wait to hear more about the itty bitty one! Those OBGYN's predict birth dates about as well as the weatherman predicts the weather :)

Sue, I got a melianthus, too! I love this plant so far.

Here's the rest of my finds:

Thunbergia "african sunset"
    Golden Cape Fuchsia
    Solanum "variegated" - green and yellow sweet pot. vine
    ornamental millet "Jester" - lime w/burg. stripe - all burg later
    Abutilon "variegated salmon"
    Coleus "glennis"
    Dichondra "silver falls"
    Carex flagellifera "Toffee Twist" (looks like I already killed it)
    Phormium
    A couple of Saxifraga, agave, sempervivums for the 'tufa

And there's more, but I haven't planted it yet. Lots of fuchsias still left.

Chelone, I think your idea is a good one. You have a really good set up that makes this season very enjoyable! New England summers can't be beat! I say that as a true southerner. Summer there is only enjoyed indoors or in water :)

Nick had another Father's Day like the one we had a couple of years ago....remember the canoe trip we planned that went awry? This year it was the water skiing/picnic trip that went awry. Threatening clouds and torrential rain sent us home for what promises to be a delicious Surf 'n' Turf - including lobster, shrimp, and scallops!

Gotta go! Happy Father's Day!

Saucy

• just_t
    16 years ago

Just logged on to see that 'bug's g'baby is going to be here soon!! I hope she gets there before the little one arrives so she can be one of the first to welcome him/her into the world. Exciting times!

Mary, it sounds like your home has been incredibly busy these last couple of months. I hope you have some long restful days this summer.

Saucy, congratulations on the new business. I hope it continues to be a huge success for you and your DH. Rotten about the broken bone....poor guy!

Cynthia, I enjoyed seeing the photos of the dogs in your gardens (and in the tub---poor Dannie!).

Deanne.....gorgeous photos.

Chelone, I saw your garage pics on the other thread. Impressive amount of work and changes going on in your world. I'm impressed with your pattern making abilities for your awnings....clever and a lot of thought went into planning how that would turn out best.

We've had a busy weekend and are just enjoying some quiet time this evening. The upcoming week is pretty booked and I just wish I understood how someone who doesn't work a 9-5 job could have so darn little 'free' time on their calendar. I think I need to learn to say 'no' at some point.......soon. ;o)

Hello to all (Brenda, loved that you appreciate uneventful/boring times, too LOL)....I am enjoying keeping up with everyone by reading, just haven't had much to share lately. OH! A Happy Belated Birthday to Martie (big 50!!! It sounds like you had a very nice b'day celebration)...and I hope Da had a great day too.

Sending my best to Cindy.......

T.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Hi Everyonewow , am I behind or what ? I was going to cook enchiladas tonight, but its too hot out to consider turning on the oven so its shrimp cocktail (I love, love, love shrimp) and fresh farmers market veggies for me tonight. So, since Im not cooking an opportunity to try to catch up here-such a lot going on with the Idylls !
    Ive loved reading of everyones plants purchases this weekend- Ive bought a ridiculous amount of plants in the last month. Glad to see Im not alone

Sue, interesting that you cant find a Salvia leucantha; that plant is ubiquitous here . Arent salvias great ? I only have about 6 or 7 different varieties, some of my favorites get so huge, I just dont have room. This week I bought 4 Salvia sinolensis , which is a small (1 ft ) very tender salvia with bronze foliage and bright blue flowers. Im also trying to decide what to do about my S. Argentinean Skies , which is proving to be somewhat invasive. I guess I could dig it up and put it in a pot, which is what I had to do with the damn Cape Fuchsia.. Cant wait to see the pics of your Caribbean shed

Deanne, no partying till the wee hours for me either ! That happened when I became a serious gardener- I like to get up early. My climbing Hydrangea has fallen on hard times..not quite the same issue as D had ; mine is water related, because of where it lives its very dependent on my hose-dragging , and I forget about it. This week it got up to 100 degrees plus , and the poor thing got scorched. Its hardly grown 6 inches since I got it last year.

Chelone, you are one industrious lady- what a lot you have going on at the compound .I enjoyed your garage pics ! It was interesting to see the foundation and how different it looks from one here- our building codes are very earthquake oriented and there is lots of rebar involved in foundation work. Re: lawn mowing ..I have a miniscule bit of lawn left-I retired the trusty Snapper power mower and bought a Great States reel mower. I love the sound it makes ! It takes me less time to mow than it did to gas up and empty the bag on my Snapper. There is a movement away from lawns out here since we get no rain in summer and they guzzle lots of water.

Cynthia, good job-you prevailed over the window box brackets ! I hear you on the 50 is closer to retirement thing ! Im thinking 60 , and then a totally mindless retirement job to pay for the health care premiums. Hope all your canine kids are doing well

Nice of you to stop by Phyl..

Saucy, Brenda, Michelle, bug, eden, Wendy, Mary,Martie etc ..hi to all..and T, V, Honey, Babs???
    Time to whip up that shrimp cocktail

Kathy in Napa

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Deanne, too HOT to go outside. Here are geraniums from inside and I wasn't going to move the couch so I could move the stand so I could move the lamp....I'd end up cleaning!

{{gwi:161232}}

They're red!

And my Monty man turned twelve this week!! Here he is with a birthday monkey. Monty can not go anywhere without a stuffie in his mouth. When we head downstairs, he'll dart back to grab something to carry. It's sort of like a woman not leaving the house without her purse. Monty can't change rooms, floors, or go in/out with out a stuffy.

{{gwi:161233}}

And hamming it up with Katie :-) I think that circle over Katie's head is the bad karma :-(

{{gwi:161234}}

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Okay, friends. Due to technical difficulties there will be no Park Update thread in the near future. Our old, cantancarous (?sp) hard drive quit when I tried to load only 223 more pics. No, the thread wouldn't have been that long, but wanted to get just the "right" shots.

Suffice to say that we have 102 herbaceous perennial varieties, 32 shrubs out of the nursery, 16 more still in the nursery, 13 rose varieties (better get some more for luck :-), 19 herb varieties, and I've lost count of the annuals.

Now that we've hit third year, I'm looking forward to the 5th when the shrubs are full in. It's been really hard to discipline myself to plant wide as I'm taking 'bugs really good advice and thinking "when I'm 60 will I want to maintain this???" But, I'm okay so far and plant swaps will certainly benefit down the road :-)

Don't think I told you that I was invited to the Select Seeds Clean Off the Benches sale in their new greenhouse. Came away with 78 plants and have a newfound love: "Martha Washington" type geraniums. An ancient (with respect) woman told me how to overwinter them: "Yank 'em, throw 'em in a paper bag and keep'em dry in the root cellar." I can do that!!

Other than the Brugmansia cutting, have kept everything alive so far, and at $1.25 per plant (clematis were $4) could afford to zap in some very cool color.

I still want a dog :-)

We mourned the loss of the Stewartia put in last year. A huge disappointment but my own fault for not watering it in well enough last year. On the hunt for a replacement.

Today will be gorgeous again. Love having several nursery clients to go visit on days like today!! Work is hopping to say the least, but I'm still loving it.

Hope to be here more often since the summer just wouldn't be summer without all of you.

Best -

Martie

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Hi, all! Been busy the last few days..sneaking in from time to time to see if there was news from 'bug. How cool is that...the baby bug has arrived :)
    Just wanted to pop in and say howdy. I'm taking a break from wrestling some anemone. Planted 'Robustissima' in WAY the wrong place-it was eating up everything in it's path. Had itself imbedded in my pink carpet rose. I thought I could pull it out, but no such luck-gotta dig. I got carried away and ended up digging up the rose. It's soaking in a bucket of water while I figure out what the crap I'm gonna do with it now. I just KNOW that anemone is going to pop up again, so I guess I'll add the rose to the pot ghetto until I see what's what. You'd THINK with a name like ROBUSTISSIMA, I'd have known better than to plant it where it couldn't run free :(
    Back to the battle, I guess. Have a good evening, all-
    Brenda