Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2_gw

A Seaside Stroll

wendy2
16 years ago

It was a perfect day for a garden tour - sunny and cool, and a nice breeze was blowing.

This was a newer section of the first garden. I love the little door in the wall.

{{gwi:161252}}

This was a cozy seating area in that same garden.

{{gwi:161253}}

Also in the first garden were these pots - the description said they reminded the owner of a garden in Marakesh, but Chelone immediately thought of Eden.

{{gwi:161254}}

There was a swimming pool in the center of the yard, almost completely enclosed by Maine's signature coastal flower - Rosa Rugosa.

{{gwi:161255}}

Some sculpture by the sea:

{{gwi:161256}}

A very cool fountain in another garden:

{{gwi:161258}}

Oh the views - I can picture us all relaxing in those chairs with a cool beverage.

{{gwi:161260}}

We saw this shrub along the way with great varietated foliage, but could not ID it. Chelone thought maybe some sort of willow - anyone know?

{{gwi:161262}}

Here is a close-up of the foliage:

{{gwi:161263}}

This lovely property was for sale. I thought I'd put in an offer - yeah, when I hit the lottery!

{{gwi:161264}}

We were tempted to settle in on this wonderful porch, but there were still more gardens to see!

{{gwi:161265}}

A lovely transition from the manicured garden to the wildness of the cliffs:

{{gwi:161267}}

We were admiring this pretty poolside planting when Chelone commented that it reminded her of "hangover vomit" - I cracked up!

{{gwi:161269}}

The tour ended in this cool retreat; a shady garden tucked away in town. This is the view from the deck - note the climing hydrangea. This plant was one that we saw frequently throughout the day - including a robust speciman in Chelone's own garden.

{{gwi:161271}}

Hope you enjoyed your stroll with us!

Comments (14)

• chelone
    16 years ago

I had so much fun! thanks for the "rerun", Wendy!

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

What a fine way to go on a garden tour! Thanks so much! (I miss my rodgersia!)

• chelone
    16 years ago

Wendy mentioned at least once that garden tours are more fun when you're with someone "who gets it". BRAVA! There were several plants I couldn't identify, but Wendy knew them instantly. She was able to point out plants that would probably do well in my yard, but were unfamiliar to me. I so wish I could "beam you up" to help me "see" my yard with new eyes!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

I guess i've missed a lot. I didn't know the NE idylls were going on a garden tour! Very nice surprise.

The tricolored willow is Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki.' I have three of them and have moved them around a lot as they can get bigger than planned. They can be pruned hard, but I prefer the more natural shape like the one in your photo.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Beautiful Wendy - wish we could all have been there to join you. So many special touches - I love the adirondack chairs and the holding hands sculptures. Garden tours are definitley enhanced when shared with another plant nut (or as you nicely put it - someone who gets it!) Thats why I look forward to the Idyllunions so much. Even better when someone gets your humor too:0)

I have the variegated willow and love it but wish I'd given it more space out in the open. I've seen it trained as a standard and it is stunning in the right setting.
    Mary

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Oooh! Gorgeous, gorgeous!! Lol @ hangover vomit! Calls to mind a time when I was young and stupid-Involved Pizza Hut Super Supreme pizza and vodka mixed with tropical punch kool-aid....somehow, in your picture, the color combo works much better :)

• chelone
    16 years ago

Yep, Brenda, I was thinkin' along the same lines, lol (a bad memory!).

It really was an arresting planting, thoughtfully laid out and carefully planned. And PERFECT for what is likely a very hot and dry site.

Interstingly, both Wendy and I thought the color of the pool would have been nicer had they moved more to the browns/beiges/olives more commonly seen in ponds. Great minds think alike, huh?! I am really looking forward to seeing you guys... the "you get it" aspect is something I truly long for on a daily basis.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Thnaks for inviting us along on your garden tour ! But where are the shots of the Tourists themselves, posing provacatively amongst the flora???

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Bummer Cynthia beat me to the Hakuro Nashiki....I thought I had some special information :)

Looks like fun....can I come next year? Maybe you'll both come to Tower Hill?

Saucy

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Ooo, thanks for including me in the tour. I love the blue door in the stone wall. I have a Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki' in my garden too.

• wendy2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wish all of you could have joined us! It was fun to tour with another touchy-feely plant nut - I even caught Chelone pulling a tiny weed and skimming aphids off of a rosebud.

Thanks for the shrub ID ladies, I knew our Idyll friends would have the answer, as usual.

The sculpture of the linked figures is called "A Circle of Friends" by Fred Meyers. Below is a link to the website for the rental of the smaller house on the first property we viewed, the one the first 5 pics are from.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rent a Piece of the Atlantic

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

How nice that you two could get together for the garden tour. I agree that viewing gardens or even shopping for plants is so much more fun to do with someone who's as crazy about gardening as you are. These photos are just beautiful, I can imagine even more so in person, with the sounds and smells of the sea. I especially like the one with all of the chairs set up in the circle. I too have that salix. Thanks for taking us along on the tour!

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Wow, next time you guys are planning to do something like this, let me know. Seaside settings are my favorite. If you were thinking about renting the guest cottage, you're out of luck. It's already booked solid for the whole season...lol.

Sue

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Oh wow! Fantastico! I surely wish I could have joined you both for this tour. Marvelous photos Wendy. Thanks so much for sharing these.
    Deanne