Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drema_dianne

Potager Pics

drema_dianne
14 years ago

Hi Everyone. I am going to attempt to post pics of the potager, and am not sure how to put a bunch in one post, but will give it my best shot.

My daughter Mary Kate and her husband replaced their fence, so that is what we used. The big pot in the middle my son got at Lowe's for $10 because it had a crack in it. He is always on the lookout for me. We siliconed it up, and it has lasted for two years so far. The bricks I got for $50 on Craigslist. I looked every day for a year to find a deal I could afford. I think I have spent more money on dirt and mulch than anything else.The gray things in the corners are an oil display from a gas station. My sister Melody had the brilliant idea to get them, put them in her daughter's front yard and paint it like a birthday cake for her grandson's first birthday. Daughter and son in law nixed the idea. My sister begged me to take them away, so here they are. When you put them together, they could sort of make a three sided cake:)

We have peppers, lettuce, beans, pumpkins, cucumbers, watermelons, tomatoes, onions, corn, chard, brussels sprouts, eggplant, and red cabbage. And for the fruit, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries.

Flowers, random cheap flats, marigolds which I am not a fan of, but I read that they are good in the garden. Morning glories, various sages, sunflowers, sweet peas, some roses a lady dug up and was throwing away.

Oh, and lots of weeds, polk berries, sumac, burmuda grass:))))..

{{gwi:161418}}

{{gwi:161419}}

{{gwi:161420}}

{{gwi:161421}}

{{gwi:161422}}

{{gwi:161423}}

{{gwi:161422}}

Here is Dev who no longer likes to get his picture taken:)

{{gwi:161424}}

{{gwi:161425}}

It has been a lot of fun, and it is going to be a fun family project. Skip is enjoying it, and has been working out there every day. It has been a good thing to do together.

Hope you enjoy the pics:)

D.

Comments (13)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Drema, how fun to fire up the computer this morning and find these photos ! I took a leisurely virtual WALAT with my french roast. Very cool that you were able to salvage so much stuff to put it together, it turned out great. I wonder if one could paint those grey things to match your green obelisks ? I hope you will continue to post progress reports ...

Well done !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

Oh WOW! Drema those are very, very cool pictures. "Nice jugs", by the way, lol. Seriously, I just love the milk jugs by the gate. And the fence. Do you have trouble with marauding "varmints"?

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Oh Drema! I love the fence, the central focal point jug, well just everything! The fact that you chose neat things to grow and that you're doing it as a family project is just FABU-FABU!

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Wow Drema, how very cool! I love the picket fence it really adds charm. I can see a nice collection of potted plants on the gray display stands. I like the way you have the paths in an "x" pattern. Nice design. Do you have beans on the tuteurs?

Michelle

• drema_dianne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys for the kind words. You can all be counted on to say something nice. We wanted to paint the fence, but it was laying in my backyard all last year, and I finally said just put it up as is and we will go for the rustic look. If I wait for everything to be perfect it will never happen. My thought was that any fence was better than no fence and no garden:) So far we haven't had any problems with animals. Except the cat can jump the fence:) Skip put a thin wire fence all the way around on the inside, and outside he put chicken wire about 5 inches up, then put a thin layer of mulch around too. Works so far. We have tons of groundhogs, rabbits, so I didn't want them to dig under. The deer have eaten all of my lily tops except one in the back. I am going to move them up closer to the house later in the summer.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Wow, Drema I like it. The rustic fence, the big pot, the x brick paths, everything. I'm sure you are liking it too. I hope to see more of it as it progresses.

By the way, I never had a chance to say how much I enjoyed the pictures of your grandkids. They are so cute.
    I bet they keep you busy.

Norma

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Love, love, love it Drema! I am very fond of Potagers and a fenced vegetable area always seems so cozy. I also like the simple division of growing beds and all your produce looks very happy. It must make you very happy that your family is enjoying doing it with you. Thanks for posting photos!

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Drema, I just love the "rustic" look the fence gives the whole area -- I think it's a great take on a "formal concept" and look forward to seeing more photos as it matures. I love how it's become a multi-family (relative) project -- it's so wonderful when things like this brings families together and gets everyone inspired, creative and even better, willing to pitch in and do the work.

Thanks for taking the time for taking the pics, and explaining it all.

-Cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

That central pot was a real find! I'd love to have something like that (no idea where I'd put it though...:- )

The geometry of potagers has particular appeal to me. I wish I had place for one so I'm very jealous....

• deanneart
    14 years ago

How fabulous Drema! I just love it. You are going to really enjoy this. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to more photos as the season advances.

Deanne

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I love the informal materials used for the formal style! I think you hit the nail on the head when you realized that if you wait for everything to be perfect then it will never get done - this concept is slowly dawning on me!

I love the milk containers used as urns for the entrance and I agree that you got a great deal on the central focus! I'd love to have a fenced in area so that I could grow veggies that would taunt the woodchucks :)

Thanks for sharing with us, Drema. Glad you figured out how to post pictures with your new Apple :)

Saucy

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

This is so cool Drema. And I'm so envious! I would love to do something similar! Like Michelle said I'd put some pots, maybe of herbs on your risers. I love the fence, and the pavers and the center pot, just all of it! Show us more pictures as you progress please! Oh and I can't believe the Dev has grown up so much. That picture really surprised me!

Eden

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

I, like everyone else, love it! And would like to have something like it. I have the space, but have ran out of steam....:-(
    It might even be deer proof, if the fences are close enough together, but I doubt it.
    I like the "grey things" in the corners.:-)And the central focus point, and the cross walks.

Marian

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths