Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmcilhargie

Idyll #323 Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days

Lara Noles
16 years ago

Maybe not lazy for most of us, but sometimes hazy and definitely crazy!

Comments (105)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It looks like things are looking up a bit so I thought I'd come for a chat.

Eden - I hope all is going well with your mother. Surgery is a nerve-wracking time.

Chelone - more pictures of the garage soon...? On the paint issue: when I Photoshopped the shed looking at color options, some shade of red - in the cool end of the range - was the next most attractive option for me after the dark blue-grays. I decided against it only because red would have stood out more and ultimately I want the shed to fade into the plantings (which are currently still not there other than a 'Waterfall' Japanese Maple we picked up on a brief holiday in Niagara the other week...) My first shot at the door color was 'Soot', but it was too dark so I backed up a shade to 'Blue Note', which we like. When your garage is done will the front door of your house and the garage doors be in the same view - i.e. when you look at one, will you see the other at the same time? Your front door is an eye-catching aqua shade - right? If you will see it at the same time you look at the garage doors, that might influence the color choice for the garage doors...? Do you want to draw the eye to the garage or let it fade into the background? Red is certainly a traditional barn door color where I grew up. The doors to the horse barn and the cow barn ant my grandfather's were red but the doors to the wagon shed and the loading areas for the hay lofts were just naturally gray cedar like the barn shingles/siding. I really enjoy construction projects so am eagerly awaiting the next round of pictures....

V - it sounds like you've been into some major projects too. The pond is a swimming pond? The local garden tour here was Sunday. The biggest garden was one right on the lake. They had done some amazing (and, no doubt, expensive!) work including remodeling an old swimming pool into an ornamental pond. This is what the end result was: {{gwi:161583}}
    It was an interesting contrast to the smallest pool on the tour - at another garden:
    {{gwi:161584}}
    That one made me think of Deanne for some reason....

We've been having a good time (food issues aside :-) with Charlotte. She's such a sweetie! Here's a shot of life at the doggie spa on the weekend (bad picture - I clearly need more exercise!)
    {{gwi:161585}}
    And a close-up of the big teddy bear, looking a bit like a buffalo!
    {{gwi:161586}}

This weekend we hope to reestablish the compost heap behind the shed. Randy is responsible for shelves etc. on the inside. That work should start this coming weekend as well. Half the garage is littered with shed stuff and we need to get it sorted out! My big project for this summer is putting a brick edging around the front beds. I had been thinking about doing it for a while. The trench-edging is getting to be a major chore so I wanted an alternative. I didn't want to do the bricks until I was reasonably sure the shape of the beds was pretty final - because it'll be hard to change them once the edging is done. The shape of the beds are more-or-less what I want them to be - although I need to change some things to make the bricks work in places. I'm using a 4" aluminum edging between the bricks and the grass to help keep the grass from growing between the bricks. At the rate I'm going, it will take the rest of the summer to finish! So far, the driveway border is done and the small bed between it and the main front bed. We swung the driveway border around to incorporate the wisteria 'tree'. It would look better if the wisteria bed was wider but I can't widen it because of the deep ditch that runs along there. We were planting that bed today - I sure hope the forecast for reasonably cool weather with showers for the next few days actually happens or things might not make it. It is sooo dry here! Here's what it looked like before planting:
    {{gwi:161588}}
    OK - I've run out of steam.... Hi to all...

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

So here's the "skinny" on the pond...

DH's dream for several years was to put in a small pond at the top of our backyard hill, with a stream coming down the hill and emptying into a larger pond at the bottom of the hill. We went so far as to get three different quotes, but it came down to one huge sticking point - this was DH's dream, not mine, but it would require a lot of ongoing maintenance, and much of that would fall onto my shoulders because of his travel schedule.

Then last summer, I took a copy of Garden Design with us on vacation, and read a brief article they had about natural swimming ponds. They're much more popular in Europe than they are in the US, but they are catching on here. The idea is that instead of chemicals, you use a natural filter of bog plants to keep the water clean. We were intrigued! Right after vacation, I met a local pond builder at the farmers' market, and he was intrigued by the idea as well. We decided to take the plunge (tee-hee) this spring.

I've uploaded a few pictures to give you an idea, and tomorrow I will try to get a more complete album on picturetrail (since DH and DD took a lot of photos, I have a pretty good record). The landscaping outside of the pond is pretty minimal right now, but it's only been done for a week and a half.

At the top of the hill, we have a bog. The bog is about four feet deep but largely filled with stone. The water is cleaned as it filters up through the stone and the plants. Some of the plants were purchased and some were transplanted from our wetlands. (And for any lurkers who don't know me, I feel compelled to explain that we own the wetlands that we dug from, we only took plants that were strongly populated, and we have been restoring the wetlands so that these plants have increased in number.) Enough of that, here's the view from the bog:

{{gwi:161590}}

The stream meanders down the hill, with several small falls and a "tropical" island.

{{gwi:161592}}

At the end of the stream is the swimming area. On either side there are shallower areas that also are planted with wetland plants. The large granite slab in the lower left is the jump-in rock, although I am a weenie who sits and slides in rather than jumping. The pond is large enough to paddle back and forth a bit but isn't really designed for doing serious laps.

{{gwi:161594}}

Of course, with all swimming pools, sooner or later the neighbors find out and you just can't keep them out. We think as many as thirty of them may be hanging out in our pool every day:

{{gwi:161595}}

So that's our story. If you google "natural swimming pond" you'll find some more explanations about the concept.

Woody, I loved the photo of the redone "concrete pond". I especially love their view.

It's just starting to rain here, which is quite badly needed. The new plantings haven't had any rainfall since they went in. Of course, I'm hand watering, but that is never quite the same.

I think I'll post now. The lightning is picking up; I've pulled the power cord and am on battery power now, but all the same, we'll get this post on its merry way!

Enjoy the 4th, all!

V.

• just_t
    16 years ago

Absolutely fabulous V!!! I am going to show the photos to DH---we have a lot of natural springs on our property and have talked of making a pond....but a naturally filtered swimming hole? How cool would that be?!

I look forward to seeing more of your photos and doing some studying about the subject.

Thanks for sharing.

T.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hi everyone

We had a fabulous time up in Toronto that I will fill you all in on tomorrow. It's GREAT to see so many interesting posts. I'll have to comment later as it's past my bedtime and I'm fading. I just returned from an impromtu girl's night at the movies watching Evening.

In brief I did just want to say I've been thinking about Eden's mother and hoping all goes well.

Baby Reed is indeed perfect in every way and cute as a button.

V - your pool is magnificent. I've read quite a bit about natural swimming pools and think it wonderful you have immersed yourself in this project.

Happy July the 4th

Mary

• chelone
    16 years ago

I so hope Eden has only good news to share today!

It's Independence Day! And another year has gone by during which I've not made my longed for swags and jabots out of red, white, and blue... next year? I found 2 boxes of sparklers that have to be a dozen years old; after as many years exposed to the seasonal humidity here do you think they'll light? ;)

V. it's great to read what you've been up to. I heartily approve of the bog and pond project. I spent too long poring over a book on natural swimming pools some months ago. I was immediately intrigued, too. Interestingly, most of them seemed to be in Germany and also Scandinavia (which rather surprised me). But they were HANDSOME, much more appealing to somelike like me who grew up in lake country. I chuckled at the way the neighbors showed up to use the pool.

Woody, thanks for the reminder to take a few pictures today. The "catbox" is now the staging area for a considerable amount of lumber that was delivered on Monday morning. If I am correct the framers are going to start tomorrow or maybe Friday; they are wrapping up another job, and I wouldn't be surprised if they show up next week. I don't really care. The garage doors will open to the southeast, the front facade of the house faces east. I had wanted to stain the garage red (in the "bahn" spirit) but the helpmeet has stated repeatedly that he prefers the natural, weathered grey to match the house (rats!). So the question of the door color remains open. I like the tourquoise shades very much, but after 16 years I'm thinking a change might be rather nice. As for the garage door question... lol, I KNEW as soon as I voiced my dislike of the fake grain that several of you probably have it on your's! The guy at the garage door store asked me why I didn't like it; after all the priming and painting I've done on this house, the cardinal rule is to sand down the grain before applying the finish coats. Priming is intended to raise the grain and fill it in, then you sand down the high places for a smooth finish. Pronounced grain through paint is the mark of a poor job. "Oh yeah". But here's what I learned about the reason the grain is embossed on the metal doors (it's pretty cool): evidently the process of embossing the sheet metal actually increases its strength, making it more stable and more able to withstand bumps that could dent it; so that's why flat metal doors are not available. I will try to figure out a way to give you an overview of how the garage and the house lie, one to the other, so you'll have an overall concept of the "compound". I should have asked Vladamir and George to snap a picture as they flew over it, huh? ;)

I can't wait to hear Mary's tales of Toronto. I thought of you yesterday, actually. I had to repair one of the backdrops for the theatre. Evidently the canvas was getting "tired" and there was 3' horizontal tear up by the burlap webbing reinforcment strip that allows them to tie it to the bar. The thing was HUGE (50'w x28'h), heavy, and I was nervous about it tearing more as I maneuvered it under the needle. I will be able to survey my handiwork in a week. ;)

OK, well that's all for now.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Shortly after I finished the above post, I went outdoors with the helpmeet. It is an absolutely GORGEOUS morning. It was nearly perfectly still, nothing but bird songs, the rustle of cats and the dog in the woods, and the approaching conversation of cyclists.

I know it will vanish shortly as the hubbub of tourist activity picks up. But right now... I live in paradise. And this is precisely the reason I prefer to begin my days with Old Sol. The only others I encounter appreciate the same peacefulness I do.

Have a brilliant day, my friends.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's raining here. That's good though. We're supposed to have thunderstorms off and on throughout the day. I did get the weeding under control yesterday and feel good about that. I've got plenty to do inside today so I say let it rain! I do feel bad for those who have outdoor parties and picnics planned though.

They finally took my mom in for surgery around 5pm yesterday. The surgery was done endoscopically and wasn't successful. The Drs. aren't sure what they'll do now but may try again Thursday.

V, I love your new swimming hole! I see where you say the bog is about 4 ft. deep but I was wondering how deep you made the pond? What an interesting project!

Happy Independence Day!

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

The last few days down here have reminded me of New England summers, with cool mornings and low humidity days. And a day off just makes it more gorgeous.

I ooo'd and ah'd at Michelle's gardens this week-end but never got a chance to post and say how truly gorgeous they are. You've done a wonderful job Michelle. The potager is a beautiful design, especially that center section. and I see that purple basil :) Are gardens like their owners? Yours looks so peaceful and calm.

Deanne, I have one pot up high like yours (coverted basketball post) and it never comes down. It's not complicated though, just Avalanche lilac petunias and reseeds itself each year. A little too thickly this summer and I should have figured out a way to thin it as they're not as healthy fighting for the limited soil in there. Your design looks gorgeous right now, can't wait to see the progression through the summer. Beautiful!

I like the idea of a natural pond V. You have been busy! Is that a diving board for the neighbors in the third photo? There is one area of my yard that has unbelievably bad drainage and a pond in that section could hold the run off and help with my mosquito breeding program. It's been a dry summer here, so the plants that love wet clay are not doing so well there this year. Anyway, looks like you guys did a ton of work and it is supurb! Thanks for sharing the photos!

Eden, I'm so sorry to hear the surgery wasn't successful. Good that they tried the less invasive route, I hope there is another option to make your mom better soon. Hugs.

Hi to all and enjoy the holiday!

Cynthia

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Happy Fourth everyone! The weather here continues to be fabulous for July-dry and warm during the day and dry and cool at night-perfect for sleeping. Last night we had a very impromptu roaming garden tour/dinner with Monique, Deanne and co. that ended here for dinner. Fun as usual.

Eden, what are the complications of a bile duct blockage? Is it related to you mom's cancer treatment somehow? Hope they get it resolved soon. Love that Alan Jackson/Buffett song, BTW. I just had Tom make a CD for me from his Ipod and that is one of the first songs. I saw Alan Jackson recently at the regional airport in Hartford. I was down there having a drink with a friend and his private jet flew in. He walked off, waved to the crowd lined up at the bar windows and jumped on a big black private motorcoach. He was playing at the Meadows, an outdoor concert venue.

V, what a fabulous idea for a pond! You've got the perfect spot for it too. Woody, I wouldn't mind that one with the water view as well. No room here for a pond though...

Well, I've got a diagnosis on my skin irritation-cellulitus-a skin infection. Apparently nothing to fool around with. I finished the prednisone prescription on Sunday. I could tell it really wasn't doing anything and on Monday the condition got pregressively worse. I tried to get the backup doctor who has very limited office hours and doesn't answer the phone when they do have hours. Finally someone answered and told me that doctor was on vacation and that I should go back to the walk in clinic. Great! Don't you just love the health care system? Well, at least the walk in guy seems to know his sh** and is newly open so has no real business to speak of. It's as close as I've ever come to having my own private doctor...lol. Anyway, he marked the infection site with a pen and sent me home with a strong antibiotic and some prescription motrin. I was forbidden to go to work yesterday and told to stay cool and quiet. Every six hours I have to take a pill and use hot compresses on the area for half an hour. Every day I have to call him and tell him if the infection site is getting larger. If it does I will need to be admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics. Good grief! That got my attention. So far the antibiotics seem to be working somewhat but I've got alot of pain in my neck and right shoulder. He says that's normal. If you're wondering how you get this (I was), it's either through an insect bite or a cut. Since I don't see either around the spot where it started I think it was from scratching poison ivy and creating an open skin area that way. At ant rate, I looked this up on the internet and it can get really nasty.

Before I forget, does anyone else do Sudoku puzzles? A friend got me hooked on them when I was home recuperating from surgery. At first I was resistant but he kept leaving books of them on my desk and sending me copies from what must be a 365 day desk calendar every week. Every week a new sheet of them arrives in intercompany mail...lol. Usually I don't like this stuff but with all the doctor mandated quiet time I've had on my hands recently they've really come in handy. If you've already got enough ways to kill time on your agenda then forget I asked.

Chelone, good thoughts for Rex on Friday. Zoe is having her teeth cleaned on Friday as well. Although it's fairly routine, I always hate the thought of anesthesia on a 16 pound dog.

OK, enough from me. I'm supposed to go to a party at a co-worker's house this afternoon but the party pooping doctor told me I need to stay home and rest. I did sneak down to Monique's for a little while last night with no ill effects. What's the difference between sitting here and sitting at someone elses house? Nothing as far as I can see as long as I stay out of the sun. I do need to bake for that shindig though so I'd best get moving.

Enjoy the holiday!

Sue

• chelone
    16 years ago

16 lb. dog? LOL, that's just a wee bit bigger than our heftiest cat, Spencer. My boss has little dogs (a**holes!), and we've debated getting a "pet" for Rex, too. But, as you would expect, training (read: "regular beatings") would be involved. I've wondered about Zoe on and off, Sue. What's up with her these days?

My immediate reaction to your "skin thing" was... Lyme Disease? I was thinking also that's it's amazing we don't have more "issues" with our skin, bein' the largest organ of our bodies, 'n' all. Do what the good docs tell you! One of our favorite customers at the shop died last week. Melanoma. He was a marine pilot (guides ships into port), he was 56. So, my good, dear "virtual" friends, be very, very careful and mindful of your largest organs... please!

cluck, cluck, cluck... (your fair skinned mother hen pecking her concern...)

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Well said, Mother C. We lost my FIL to melanoma when he was only 56. I spent all last summer with a nice-sized scar on the back of my calf, and was quite happy to have the scar along with the news that the dark spot that had been there was not a melanoma.

Sue, do be careful! Cellulitis seems to be one of those under-the-radar things that can become quite serious.

Eden, I'll be thinking of your mother and hope things go well tomorrow.

Sudoku - there are fights in this house between DH and DD over the daily puzzle in the paper. 'nuff said.

Speaking of DH, he was in a very helpful mood this morning and pulled out the coffee grinds and carried them to the compost for me. Except the pot wasn't done brewing...

I forgot to mention the pond depth! It's 5 1/2 feet at the deepest, so DH and I can stand just about anywhere with our heads above water. There are a lot of shallower places as well.

The rain last night totaled 1.2 inches which we badly needed. We moved all the pots from the porch back on to the deck so that they would enjoy the rain, but one of my coleus from Deanne had 3 large stems snapped off! As I told DH, it needed to be cut back anyway, but I would not have been quite so drastic.

We're planning a quiet day today. I need to "fluff" the pots - arrange, trim, etc., pull a few weeds and plant a few things. I also want to finish my book. Think I'll start with the reading.

V.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

Yikes Sue - that skin condition sounds nasty. Glad the antibiotics are working - take care of yourself. I love Suduko and find them very handy when waiting for the children at a game or music lesson. I think we have that same calendar! My mother does one a day and is quite expert - we've enjoyed them together the last few years.

Our trip to Toronto was a blast. DH had meetings to attend so he was busy in the daytime but we met up in the evenings. Travelling with him on business means doing things in style rather than my usual frugal style and we enjoyed the perks of a lovely hotel and free breakfast in the concierge lounge. Annie, David and I filled our days attending the Jazz festival, shopping at Eaton center, visiting the top of the CN tower and generally enjoying the city. The weather was perfect. The highlight of the trip was seeing Michael York in Camelot. We had been given tickets in the center of the 4th row and they were superb. DH knows the lead and we went back stage after to chat with him. Annie, who is somewhat stage struck was in heaven and David quite awed by the whole experience. DH and I even managed a quiet drink together in the hotel bar which for us is a huge treat as we have just about zero time alone together these days.

Today we are having a quiet day. It's raining on and off which is just what the gardens need. I'm making pulled pork for dinner and am looking forward to reading, baking rolls, some time with my violin and perhaps taking the kids to a movie. I have a feeling fireworks might be rather soggy tonight but if weather permits the next town over puts on a nice display.

Enjoy your day everyone

Mary

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hey V - what are you reading right now? I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (beautiful) and am immersed in Violin Dreams by Arnold Steinhardt (no relation to DH though they share spelling of their last name). The book is a journey through his career as a violinist and member of the Guarnini String Quartet. Bach's Preludes and Partitas for unaccompanied violin weave in and out throughout the book. There is a CD with his two recordings of the Partita in D Minor with the famous Chaconne - one from early in his career, the other near the end. I'm looking forward to listening them in detail but right now we have Bon Jovi resonating from the CD player.

M.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I thought I might possibly get taken out to breakfast this morning but Brad had a racquetball date so I'm eating pop tarts. Not quite the same, lol. I have done dishes and phoned my mom. She sounded good, much better than I was expecting so that made me feel better too. David called, I don't know if I told you all, but he's been housesitting at Jen's empty condo all summer. Megan's taking it over when her apartment lease runs out at the end of this month but until then he's having the time of his life, being on his own, rent free. Anyway, his car died this morning. Sounds like an alternator problem to me. He's working double shifts both today and tomorrow so he called his sisters and lucky for him, Jen came to the rescue and loaned him her car. She's off for the next few days and she'll be with Randy (the fiancee) anyway. I'm sure Brad will be involved in some way in getting Dave's car repaired, lol.

Sue, listen to the Drs. and be good! At least now you know what you're dealing with. Boy, I hope you get that cleared up soon. How great that you, Deanne, and Monique were able to get together. In answer to your question, there's a mass near my mom's liver that they think is causing the obstruction. What they're trying to do is put a stent in to open the bile duct. Her symptoms are itching all over her body, and she's not able to keep much of anything down. So she's pretty uncomfortable. They did get a biopsy yesterday and if they need to they'll start radiation as soon as possible.

Brad's the Soduko king here. I don't have much patience for puzzles. Hey, is Alan Jackson as tall in person as he looks like on TV?

Mary, I loved reading about the fun time you and your family had in Toronto. Sounds like you have a relaxing, fun day planned for today too. Enjoy!

Pop tarts are finished so back to cleaning the kitchen. It's dried up outside but looks like we're in for more rain later. The plant's are happy!

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I feel like a new mother.....exhausted. Off to nap now! DD is at Tai Kwan Do with SS & her Dad. I fear for the poor girl next week when laundry, meals and dishes are her job. Anyway, what she needs more than sleep is time. Time to be herself and do things she enjoys. So yesterday she played soccer with the neighborhood kids while I enjoyed Reed.

I return to the farm on Saturday.

Best wishes to one and all. Thinking of Sue, Eden's Mom, and others too. How nice there was a gathering over good food ladies!!!!
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brads gotten his tools together and is off to see if he can repair Dave's car. Poor guy, this is his only day off in the last two weeks of working 12 hr. days and this is how he gets to spend it. Car's are such a pain in the butt!

Eden

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marie, if Sarah discovers the secret to having time for herself while raising a small child, expecially an infant, she can sell that secret and make millions. From what I remember, and even still now, when I have Bella, there is no "self" time unless you count spare moments snatched here and there or the times Brad takes over. Young children are demanding little creatures, but they're so worth it aren't they? LOL on you feeling like a new mom. I can so relate to that statement! Bet T can too! Glad you're getting to spend time with Reed and are enjoying it so much! You're going to miss that little guy when you go home :(

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Sue you are a mess this year! Must be the healthy living. Glad you kept pushing for treatment, it really is a serious condition. Get well quickly, can't do IU4 without you. Actually we'll bring it to your house if you can't travel :)

So the bounty of my backyard today includes ticks (multiple) crawling down my arms while I was attacking the overgrowth outside of the 'manicured' (ha) areas. And I messed with the healthiest looking poison ivy I have ever seen. I was battling more forsythia (should be on invasive species list) to make room for a hedge of grasses when I spotted the deep dark green 3 leaved stuff standing 4 feet tall.

Crap! Major T-storm going on. Dannie is in the tub and I gave her xanax but she's a mess. This is a bad one right on top of us, and she reacts to storms a state away. I want in the tub with her. Monty is panting too but he's not as severe. I did have to dig out his storm cape (embroidered 'no fear'). Katie, the only one I grew from seed, is la de da, but the noise woke her up wondering if it was supper yet. Nice heavy rain though and we can sure use it. Japanese beetle count is low so far, and someone on Midatlantic forum said that was cause of drought.

Gotta hit send fast, lights are flickering!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

NPR just said they're evacuating the National Mall. (That's where the fireworks are held.) Thunderstorms and Tornado watch.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Wow, a thoroughly delightful day here on the compound. I weeded the front beds and watered them, too. Sadly, I fear I lost the pretty clematis, "Maidwell Hall". It budded up nicely this spring, but then gave up. I finally got around to cutting it down. I'm sad about that, but it was right behind a huge hosta in what is traditionally a rather dry bed and I suspect it was simply out competed for water. (The irrigation line is broken and has not been repaired yet).

I pulled more weeds on the terrace and watered those beds, too. I deadheaded the Alchemilla, the Bearded Iris, the Peonies (still have some flowers on them, little but definitely there!). I tied the Casa Blanca lilies to their stakes, and assessed the Clematis to determine what to tie where.

I watered the back beds, too. Cut back the Alchemilla there, and nipped off the brambles that I've been unsuccessfully battling for 15 years now. I then stepped on a bumblebee and was reminded how much a sting can hurt. Oww! Rex and the cats had a great time supervising me.

All windowboxes are watered and appropriately fussed over; though compared to Deanne's fleet, my chore is a walk in the park. ;)

Dinner was steak on the grill, corn on the cob, salad, and potato salad. A real "summer" meal. No room for strawberry shortcake just yet.

Skies are grey and rain is forecast (much needed!) for tonight and tomorrow morning. We can only hope. I'm glad I watered today, it really is shockingly dry.

Helpmeet is outdoors now, weedwhacking the vegetable garden in preparation for mowing it. He prefers to work after dinner, he is recharged after a mid-afternoon nap... I am ready to toddle off to beddy-by-lo, lol.

Any pictures of Deanne, Monique, and Sue's get together?

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I have Kenzie today since DD and DSIL have to work. Its a busy time when you work in a resort area. Her and I took a nap together. She slept longer and I did get a little garden time. You dont get much done with her here. I did discover that she enjoys sitting on a blanket outside and playing with Little People. She especially likes the barn, the house and the school bus. I was able to pot up another container. Someone stop me! I stopped and picked up some 75% off plants. I scrounged around and found a crock that part of the bottom had broken off. I glued it back on and the missing part should provide drainage.

Things are very dry here and extremely hot. There was rain yesterday a mere 3 miles from here but when I got home not a drop. We had just a tiny shower a few minutes ago and the temp dropped 10 degrees which was nice but the moisture wasnt nearly enough.

Eden, sorry to hear about the unsuccessful surgery. I hope they can figure it out. The itching doesnt sound pleasant either.

Sue, I have purposely not tried the Sudoku because I know I dont need another addiction. Be careful with the cellulitis I have known a couple of people with it recently and one ended up in the hospital.

V, pretty cool swimming pond. Im impressed with the ambitious projects that you guys take on. We have a pond and some have used it for swimming, but not me.

Time to look for some supper for the little squirt.

Michelle

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Mary, I accomplished my goal today and FINISHED "The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai. It's a beautifully written story set in India and the US that touches on India's changeover from British rule, its current issues with ethnic factions and the struggles of immigrants. I really enjoyed it a lot.

"Snow Flower" is in my stack of books to read but will probably wait until vacation. I'm already diving into "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. I really enjoy her writing.

Like Chelone said, it was a great day on the compound. The pots are now back out on the deck, trimmed and arranged. The porch was swept clean, a few new plants went in the ground, and the small hosta that was being eaten alive by the Blue Angel was transplanted (for I think the third time) further forward. This hosta has lovely petite purple flowers, but the buds on this one were white because they formed in the total darkness beneath Blue Angel.

And we all enjoyed a great dip in the pond before our grilled steaks. Ms. Kingsolver would have approved of the grass-fed beef that I purchased at the farmers market last Saturday from a farmer that I know by name. My taste buds approved as well!

V.. who is trying to remember that she has to go to work tomorrow. :(

• chelone
    16 years ago

I'm having a bit of trouble accepting that today is a work day, too. It will inovlove a lot of cutting and gluing of foam for the set of cushions I made on Monday and Tuesday. I'm always surprised at just how long the foam and its insertion takes. The nice part of the mid-week holiday is the easy two days work before it and after it. :)

I can hear the sound of RAIN, gentle and steady. We could really use a solid 2-3 days of it, but it's not sounding likely. Our dry spell is nothing like so many other areas in the country. We covered the lumber in the "catbox" last night, using some very nice, heat welded plastic "curtains" that I made for a restaurant several years ago. When we redid the job I was quick to snag a few of the retirees.

Rex was "on alert" last night... very tuned in to the sound of distant fireworks. He would bark every so often and hobble out onto the deck to listen carefully before repeating his disapproval. I wondered how poor Dannie would fare with fireworks given her dislike of thunder.

V., I was thinking of your and your pond yesterday. I have two two gallon pots of Iris ensata. They're a very pale lavender-pink and are just covered with buds. I certainly hope that wonderful plant will be part of your plan. I have a couple of others around here, though the "fancier" varieties are not nearly so rugged of constitution. Of all Iris, they are my favorites. I also have 2 wonderfully healthy looking Chelones, they're believed to be white but missing tags lend an air of mystery to them. I am not sure where to put them. I've wandered around the yard with them in my hands for a few days now. I'm thinking I will add them to the bed in front of the house and buckle down on taking better care to ensure deeper watering. :/

OK, time to wrap it up and get on out the door for more fun with canvas. Have a great day, guys.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Wow, V - that is a great swimming "hole" -- I remember seeing one of those on an episode of Gardener's Diary - I think the woman was German & lived in NE somewhere - not a prairie type pond, but hers was just lined chock full of plants (I remember wondering how she weeded the beds around it) -- it was an old, old episode - but since then the concept has always entranced me -- but your "neighbors" coming so quickly are not ones Im sure I'd love to have come on a daily swim... im such a silly. You have been one very very busy lady.

Eden, Im sorry to hear your Mom's procedure was not successful - I hope they have some other options. Thinking of you -- and feeling for all. Hang in there.

Sue -- Im so glad you got your infection diagnosed but take care - as Cynthia says, we need to see you at IU!!! Get lots of rest and hope your antibiotics work wonders. I have in fact become addicted to Sudoku myself recently -- it helped me take my mind off the family stuff -- when I didnt have the attention for a book, I could pick up a puzzle - so relaxing and mind-cleansing. I probably looked nuts sitting around doing 'em, but they were lifesavers for me. I look forward to it every day now.

I had a pig-out, bad food day - fried chicken (compliements of the Colonel), ice cream, doritos, many, many bad things - got 'em all over and done w/ among some weeding and watering.

Chelone - like you I'm afraid a number of my clematis are toast from lack of water while I was gone; it's so sad isnt it to lose 'em? But I guess we have to think of learning experience & hope for new opportunities next year.

Cynthia -- that was an ugly storm we got wasnt it? my own Chloe suffers from the angst & hid under a pile of pillows on the floor I've learned to build as her "bomb shelter" - it seems to work pretty well for her. I heard a story recently about how bad an outbreak of poison ivy we've had all over this year due to the weather conditions (global warming, rains, etc.,) have produced a bumper crop -- apparently it's gangbusters all over the country.

well, I am dragging too today - hard to believe gotta get back to real work -- I wish I could have taken the week off. The good news is we've got a "monday" and "friday" ahead of us - today's monday and tomorrow can be friday!!

Counting the days to IU now -- we're getting into the home stretch!!

Question -- anyone gotten any new great shrubs or woodies this year they want to talk about? Im really happy w/ the Fagus Black Swan and the Cercis Lavender Twist - they're doing well so far and have held up well to the weather (& neglect suffered from me so far)....

--Cindy

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Hi, all! Great reading what you're all up to...most seem to be much more constructive than we've been ;) V, great pictures--a natural swimming hole??....too cool!

Did anyone see the CMA awards (I think that was the show) when Alan Jackson walked off? He was ticked because they wouldn't let George Jones sing his whole song "Choices I've Made", but were going to let Alan sing "Pop a Top". So, he sang a little of George's song, turned, walked off the stage and left. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. I'm a Jimmy Buffett FREAK, too, BTW. I was stunned that he's never won an award until he and AJ won video event of the year for 5:00 somewhere.

Sue, sorry to hear about the skin infection. Food for thought-I never give much thought to bug bites, or the various "dings and dents" I inflict on myself. Take care of yourself, and hope you get cleared up SOON! I LOVE the Sudoku puzzles-very addicting! As a matter of fact, I have an electronic one that I carry in my lunch box when we're farming. The guys think nothing of leaving you sitting somewhere killing time for an hour, lol...so I needed SOMETHING to do. I got my DD hooked on them, too.

Eden, I'm so sorry they weren't able to complete your Mom's surgery. It's so worrisome, and makes you feel so helpless. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Michelle-I feel for you guys with the rain. We're having the same thing. More than once this year, we've been able to sit on the porch, and watch it raining in town, about 3 miles away, and not a drop here. We were supposed to have decent chances yesterday. Got 1/10th yesterday morning and another 1/10th last night. Could see lightning and hear thunder, but it just didn't make it to us. A few miles south of us, they got a nice rain. Unfortunately, none of our farm ground got any of it. They're predicting serious heat this weekend, and the crops are going to need some water REAL soon. DH keeps hopping between the weather channel and three different radars on the computer, then outside to look at the sky.

Either our social life needs to slow down, or I need more self control! DB and his partner were here yesterday, and Jim fried fish. You would think I'd be sick of fish, but Jim just does the BEST job on it-it would take a long time for me to get tired of it. We had more wine than any of us needed, cheese, fruit, home made cookies (DB's contribution) and chips and salsa. Once again, I went to bed bloated and miserable! Today, I'm drinking TONS of water, and so help me, NO sugar shall pass my lips today.

I need to get off the computer and go exercise. I SO don't want to. Between all the crap I ate yesterday, and the heat and humidity today, it just isn't at all appealing. Hoping the H&H kick up a storm this afternoon. They're saying slight chances, but that's usually when we get our decent rains.
    Hi to all I missed, and have a great day everyone!
    Brenda

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Greetings, everyone! Life has been nutso beyond belief but the gardens look great! I'm procrastinating with pics since the camera died (we go through at least one/year) and things have been so dry that they don't look like I want them to look for an Idyll view!!

We got rain here yesterday -- the first substantial water not from a tap and freezing for my babies. Many things have been added to the collections so watering has become routine. I've got the whole Park figured out and can do everything in less than four hours!! My Yankee frugalness won't let me do more, and the rain barrels dried up weeks ago.

Reed is amazing and jeez, so is Sarah!! The pics convey all good things, and I love how intent DSGS is in watching his brother. I'm a huge fan of home births, but also realize that my own DS wouldn't be alive if he hadn't been born in a hospital. So -- glad this worked out for them.

I want a potager. Rich asked if more lawn would be gone. When I answered yes he hid my sharp-edged shovel. He also reminded me that I have a cedar raised bed that's still waiting for appropriate poop before being covered and cooked for the year. There's my answer :-)

Much, much, much going on and won't bore anyone with details other than to say I'm very glad my worst addiction of the summer is the homemade ice cream that's less than a mile from my house. Sounds like an national ice cream tour will need to become part of Idyllunion at some point :-)

Some quick notes:

Woody -- The seed roses are flourishing and think I may be able to seed collect this year !!!!1

Sue -- Remember the clump of Stella d'Oro you gave me?? It is now 10 strong plants and serves as the basis for the driveway/lamppost gardens. Very cool mixed with pansies and zinnias.

Deanne: The daylily that fell out of the car (still have the pic in my office) is budding and I Can't Wait to see it in bloom!!

Marie: Okay, you've got me hooked. The Park likes clematis, and clematis like the park, and I now have several (no ## in case Rich is reading ;-)

Eden: Made the horrible mistake of planting some of the little red peppers quite near the alpine strawberries and my poor city friend who didn't know the difference ran for the milk jug in a hurry!! No hospital visit needed, but she now understands "ornamental" and will forever remember what strawberry plants look like.

Cynthia: My neighbors adopted a greyhound that literally bounces on all fours. She is the darling of the neighborhood but doesn't like lawnmowers much. Thought of you when I saw that the CNN crew moved off the Mall yesterday.

Marian: What does it mean when Christmas cactus bloom in July????? I had forgotten to water them for a while; okay, several weeks, and when moisture hit they bloomed. It's been that kind of year :-)

Kathy: Do you plant a banana with your roses? According to a swamp yankee it's supposed to boost the potasiam (?sp) and be a good thing. I haven't lost any yet, and have started a President's collection -- Lincoln, Kennedy, Hoover and am on the lookout. Why Not??? Did move the Golden Showers out of public view in favor of a new pink climber whose name escapes me since I'm at work.

Everyone else: I've run outta time but not good thoughts of All!!

Very soon, am hopeful to have more time and fortitude to get here more often. Fingers and toes crossed!!

Martie

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

Another rainy day here which the gardens and I are delighting in. A slow, gentle rain I can almost feel the plants drinking in. Hope it's made it to GB's farm and Woody garden too. Brenda and Michelle - same for you guys - what a worry it must be.

I'm feeling almost guilty that I'm not rushing off to work - the summers remind me of the Idyllic days at home with the children after David was born and before I went back to work. Today our most pressing task was an early morning visit to Target for a squirt gun - an essential accessory for "splash day" at David's day camp, even when it is raining apparently LOL! I then dropped Annie at her summer play practice, returned books to the library and enjoyed a second cup of coffee while listening to NPR and cleaning the kitchen. I'd like to tell you the whole house is spotless but that would be a lie. Instead, the kitchen is presentable, laundry almost caught up on and fresh GF muffins just came out of the oven - can you smell them? I've also been making progess on a new violin piece and am hoping to be able to set up my first lesson of the summer when my teacher gets back into town tomorrow.

As the rain is keeping me from the garden I'm about to begin an ambitious renovation of a bedroom .......one in the dollshouse. I've been bitten by the mininatures bug again and in addition to working on the house I've started a set of miniatures of famous paintings. I'm putting together tiny objects for a "vanitas" or "momento mori" (objects that respresent the transience of life) in the style of a Dutch Still Life. Keeps me out of trouble but I'm not sure the other members of the family get it LOL!

At 3 today I'm taking David for a bass lesson, then tonight DH and I are hoping to sneak out together to see Michael Moore's Sicko. I've heard it's very thought provoking.

Cindy - I bought the Red Majestic contorted hazel this spring and am loving it. I actually have it in a large pot as I loved the position of it against the white of the house at the beginning of the path to our front door. It will go into the ground soon to get nicely established before fall, but I'm still planning its permanent location.

Brenda - a fish fry sounds delicious! It's been years since I've had some. A good old English "Fish and Chips" wrapped in newspaper used to be one of my favorite meals.

Hope the work week speeds by for those toiling away.

Here is something fun from our trip to Toronto. Annie took part in a promotion for Dove, walking down a catwalk and posing for the camera in return for free smaples. Here is the mock-up of a magazine cover they just sent her.
    {{gwi:161596}}

Mary

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's not raining here, wish it was, and I've got the sprinkler going. Brad's gone off to work, Dave's car is in the shop, and I'm dividing my time between painting (the bed) and vacuuming while waiting for coats to dry. I have today and tomorrow to complete my list of thing that I can't get done when Bella's here. I think I will get most all of the tasks crossed off, with the exception of the basement. Jen and I are planning another gardening day at her house of Sat. with Bella's help. That should be fun! I still haven't found time to crack open a book :(

Chelone, It made me sad to picture Rex hobbling. I hope his surgery tomorrow sets everything right for him. I'll be thinking good thoughts!

Mary, what a darling picture of Annie. Reminds me of a cover for Seventeen mag. Does anyone remember that mag? I don't even know if they publish it anymore. I'm intrigued by your miniatures work. I'd love to see pictures. I forgot to tell you, I have one of those really tiny mini fuchsias in one of my container gardens and it's blooming the tiniest little flowers now. So cute!

Hi Martie, OUCH! I can imagine how hot those peppers would be. I've learned to be really careful with them when I'm collecting the seed. I chop up banana peels and bury them around my rose bushes.

Cindy, My cercis covey is doing well too. It looks like a little tree this year as opposed to the stick it looked like last year when they sent it. I'm liking the chartruese shrubs I purchased this year, cotinus gold spirit and physocarpus nugget, though the nugget is still really small. They really light up the garden. Also I'm really liking the little weigela my monet. It stays tiny, and has beautiful, green, white and pink leaves.

Brenda, sounds like you guys really NEED rain. Hope you get some soon! Those meals of yours sound delish! I had pan fried lake perch yesterday afternoon and it was good too.

V, don't you just love those nice relaxing days at home. Hope you get to have them more frequently for the rest of the summer!

Cynthia, poor Dannie, she's been having more than her share of thunder to contend with lately. She's spending alot of time in the tub! Good that you're getting rain though.

Michelle, great that you got to spend a day with Kenzie. Bella likes little people too but her favorite thing to play with is little plastic animals. I've got a whole box of all different kinds that I pick up here and there, when ever I run across them.

My paint's dry and I need to rotate laundry from washer to drier, and move the sprinkler. Always more to do around here! Hope you're all having a good day.

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Mary, I'm impressed by those beautiful eyes looking out at the world...at the camera. I believe Annie wasn't able to do this in the past? In any case, a cover to remember always!

I'm zonked. We return to Ontario tomorrow, home on Saturday with Charlotte. By Sunday I'll probably have taken a quick look at what remains of the gardens...Martie, pray for my irreplaceable clematis, all 200+....Sigh.

At the moment, Sarah is off to Tai Kwan Do once more with DGS, then to a water park for a short while with his friends before returning for lunch.

I have remained at home with DH to proofread forms relating to small claims court, an added touch we did not need in our lives.
    'bug

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

Hi there idylls!

I can't believe that even though I'm off work for the summer & school's out I still hardly have time to post let alone read the accumulating idyll threads! Sorry to be so absent(V, I sense a smart remark from you lolol).

Eden I'm so sorry your mom has needed surgery & that it's not resolved so far. Such a worry for you all. I'm thinking best thoughts for you all. Keep us posted.

V-what a COOL pond! Your backyard looks so different-that must have been quite alot of work-I guess that's why you haven't been around here much. I've missed you.

Eileen-hey stranger! Thanks for the hummingbird link that is awesome to see! and to think that nest is so tiny. I was intrigued by the tranformation of the baby birds-I never knew they didn't start out immediately with the very pointed beak.

'Bug-nice to see Reed & family-he's very cute!

Deanne-love seeing your pics and your artfully done plantings. Hope you're having a fun summer with your camera! Hey BTW have your fuchsias ever been attacked by small 1/4" bronzey beetles? They defnitely are not J. Beetles-much smaller but just about as destructive. When I get time I'll try to look them up but Iwas just wondering if you knew about these.

Mary I'm so glad you are finally done with the school year: )

Sue wow you've had your health woes these past few months-hope the creeping crud heals quickly: (

Hi Chelone! I'm speechless? lol that never happens.

Michelle Ooooo!~I am so glad to see your pottager!! Everything looks great as I knew it would-you really have a knack for design. Well, my bowling ball is half covered with glass discs...I had a bit of time to fiddle around then our summer got busy so I hope to get it finished before fall hits lol. How have your peas done?? I decided I didn't plant enough vines and will do more next season-we hardly have a bowlful of pods from four vines(well I never said I was a skillful farmer : ) I expected the pea harvest to be over by now but we've had some nice cool nights so I hope I get more-though I'm itching to yank the vines and plant flowers in their spot.

We recently got back from Hocking Hills after a week's visit and had a nice relaxing time. We're going back again that last week of July-yeah, during the IU: (

We've been busy with swim lessons,etc. and I'm working on downsizing our closets,cupboards and pretty much the whole house-this seems like it will take years. I'd much rather weed,dig or mow! IN THE HOT SUN among SWARMING BEES...you get the picture.

Chris started his new job this week and it's pretty cool that he's his own boss more or less and can work whatever hours he chooses. Naturally the A/C in his car died & had to be repaired so we know where his first big paycheck will go! Funny how it happens that way-but thankfully it didn't happen earlier than this.

MIL is still requiring much of our time but luckily it's more for errends and such-I worry when it becomes health issues care. Her eyesight is declining and they've increased her insulin dosage-not good since that indicates a lack of blood sugar control. She ODed on insulin once last month with no serious impact though it could have been. She recently visited her aunt in an assisted living facility and has declared that the living space was so small & so expensive she would rather swallow a bottle of vicodin(sp) than leave her home when her health further fails....this is what we deal with from her. oops-I see I'm ranting!

Hi to Saucy-hope all bones are healed: ) and your summer is back on track?

Sending a big hello to the rest of the idyll posse-hope things are going well for all.

And now I am off to set up the sprinkler for Ryan...and my garden; )

~Babs

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

LOL!....ROTFL... MARY!! I was doing a backtracking-turbo-skim and found the engorged tomato....!(since I was stunned I'm assuming that was a tomato) OH my GOSH is that FUNNY!!! Chelone I think your carrot needs some of what that tomato had if you know what I mean; )-you guys are just great for a good laugh.

BTW as I try to catch up I'm also touched by so many looking for me~I realize it's hard to keep track of so many idylls and their whereabouts so it was a nice surprise to be remembered: ) The days you had been wondering about me I was in Hocking Hills.

Need to go back and see what else I've missed! Just HAD to comment on the mutated veggies.

~B

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Babs! Just checking in and how great to see your post! I KNEW you'd appreciate those veggies! Glad to hear that Chris started his new job with his new paycheck. Sorry to hear that MIL is still having and giving you problems. Since Bella's turned two I've often wondered how you ever had time for posting here. Wasn't Ryan about that age when Idylls began? Glad you had a nice relaxing vacation and how neat that you get to go again. I missed you!

Marie, small claims court, oh dear!

Still painting here but getting close to being done.

Eden

• chelone
    16 years ago

The die is cast. I took Rex down for the application of his morphine patch this afternoon. I returned home with a bandaged dog (requiring supervision), 2 bags to apply when taking him outdoors for a bathroom breaks (can't get the patch wet, it's on his right hind leg), and an Elizabethan collar to keep him from chewing at it while we try to sleep. Yeah, RIGHT. The thing is huge (a very large lampshade) and he was less than tolerant of it when I put it on him and adjusted his collar. :( This is going to be a complete nightmare... an expensive one. I'm worried about how we're going to deal with the recovery period. I don't see the E. collar being a viable option for the hours when we're working. My boss won't love it, but I think he will be coming to work with me on Thursdays and Fridays. Swell! I'm very tense about what awaits us. Very tense.

Eden, what's the skinny with your Mom? What's the next step? I'm concerned; answer if you want to, but know I'm thinking of you.

I rescued a bird from the room where we keep the rolled up foam this morning. He was fluttering against the window glass, poor thing. I tossed my sweatshirt over him and gently picked him up. Pretty thing! but very frightened. I release him and he flew right off... some lucky bird.

There are 3 or 4 Tall Ships coming into port tomorrow. The "parade" is slated to begin at or around 10 AM. One came in this morning, and it was fun to see the crew members on the spars. I can't imagine climbing the ratlins on land, let alone the high seas... NO THANKS! but you do things you would never imagine you'd ever do when the circumstances call for it. I'll put my camera next to my handbag tonight. They're really pretty vessels.

No framers today. The gentle rain has vanished and the sun is back. Hot and humid.

I'm also thinking about Sue and the "creeping crud" thing. Like you haven't had ENOUGH already? What a really crummy hand to be dealt in the summer. Please do be a good cooperator and do what must be done to accomplish the "mend".

Mary, the covergirl is beautiful. Dove soap or Dove chocolate? ;)

Order's up! and I'm hungry. (being tense makes me hungry... lol).

• chelone
    16 years ago

The helpmeet did the clinic visits with Rex. He wasn't really able to adequately describe what they have planned for the fleabag.

I did my homework, and have linked it below. I think I'm going to be sick. And my boss is probably not going to be happy when I announce that Rex will be spending Thursday and Fridays in the shop under my supervision. There's just NO way he can be left alone in that collar for 4 hours. And he isn't "crate trained"... post surgery isn't the time to start doing it. If he can't come to the shop, then I'll simply have to take the work home. This is a "family crisis".

Jeez, I hate dogs!

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, good thing I took pics of my garden to show you all yesterday. We had a thunderstorm come through a little while ago with strong winds and a tree from my neighbor's yard came down and is through my shed roof. The shed is holding it about 6 ft above my garden. It's lying across the entire garden and into the neighbor's yard on the other side. It must have knocked down the clouds and moon too. They're gone. The tree is lying on the power line that runs to the house but we do have power. I've called the electric company but if you don't hear from me for a while it'll be because the electricity has gone out. I'm here alone and I'm still shaking. Brad's on his way home though. Pictures to follow if the power holds.

Eden

• chelone
    16 years ago

Aww... Eden, when it rains it pours, huh? (((hug)))!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Just a quick visit to wish Rex - and Chelone - well for the surgery. Chelsea had to wear the E. collar after a foot injury. Poor thing kept banging into things and looked bewildered. She also threw up in it during the waking-up process at the animal hospital. She HATED the vet - any vet - (not sure why; she came with that problem) so no one could safely clean out the collar at the animal hospital. We had to do it - lots of fun! So I hope Rex has a fast recovery and you and your helpmeet have an easy time as nurses!

I just saw Eden's note - boy, that must have been a scary few minutes when the tree came down! I hope the electric company comes quickly....

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:161597}}

{{gwi:161598}}

{{gwi:161599}}

{{gwi:161600}}

{{gwi:161601}}

{{gwi:161602}}

Lot's of smashed plants, at least one broken urn. The clouds fell in the garden, on my new little kousa and broke it. I could just cry.

Eden

• just_t
    16 years ago

Oh Eden! How rotten! What a mess that is going to be to get that tree out of there. Thinking of you!!!

(Rex, you fleabag......take care tomorrow!! Sending you good thoughts that you will be moving around and feeling good as a puppy after you've recuperated).

BABS!! So *good* to see you!!! :oD

Hope Sue is behaving and that the celluitis is improving. Scary business!

Hello to all! (yeah, this was a fly-by-----zoom, zoom!)

T.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

"It must have knocked down the clouds and moon too. They're gone"

That picture of the cloud on the ground broke my heart.

But Eden will come up with something wonderful to fill the spot, I just know it. From loss comes opportunity! Sniff.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when Chelone refuses to go to work if she can't bring her dog :) Softy. You go girl! Wishing Rex the best for his surgery. My guys wear their basket muzzles post surgery so that they can't get at the sites. E collars are horrid uncomfortable things. From what I've seen of Rex, he doesn't have that long narrow snout, so basket muzzle isn't going to work, but an option is the 'soft' E collar, it's made of cloth. If your vet doesn't have them, call a few other vets to see if you can get one. Or you can get some bitter apple and spray or brush that on the bandage to deflect him.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh poor Rex having to wear that collar. Bud had to wear one once and he just hated it and crashed into everything. I got it off him, kept a good eye on him and started using the bitter apple like Cynthia said to keep him from licking the wound. Stand your ground with the boss. She's a dog lover right? Doesn't she have a couple of little ones that she brings in herself? I hope she's understanding. Well wishes for Rex that everything goes smoothly tomorrow. One more thing for me to worry about until I hear he's come through ok. Let us know!

Eden

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Oh Eden - how rotten. (((Hugs))) to you though I'm sure what follows will be in every way as wonderful as what was lost. The timing stinks though doesn't it?

Hugs also to Rexie boy and your Mum. I'll be checking tomorrow for updates.

Yay Babs!! Glad you enjoyed the pepper and your vacation. Hope you can come back to visit more often though completley understand the pulls on your time.

I'm about to head to bad. A good friend dropped by this evening and we enjoyed wine and talk on the patio. Actually, there was an enjoyable amount of both so I should retire before revealing too much more.

Nite-nite everyone

Mary

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

(((((Eden)))))! I'm so sorry about the damage and you feeling so upset/scared. It's times like this that I wish I lived a skip away from you. I am SO thankful that no one was hurt. A crushed urn and smashed plants(gee and a humongous tree laying over your garden)still are extemely upsetting and I always did admire the sun & moon not to mention your shed(maybe Brad can repair the shed?)! I know you'll find a way to salvage what you can and recreate what you've got~sniff~Earlier today I was viewing garden pics you'd posted and I was ooing and aahing at the results of your hard work. I hope the cleanup shows more things intact than thought. I hope you can get good sleep tonight.
    In regards to how I had time to post when the kids were little it was pretty easy because I would post at naptime~AJ napped all the way up to age 4 or at least had quiet book reading time. Both boys were very good at independant play so I could take a few moments to post during the day. I also would post at night because Chris was often doing school work. These days we are more on the go in general plus when I'm working the idylls went to the back burner-unfortunately.

Poor Chelone-and Rex! I hope your boss is understanding and things go well. ; )I will drink some wine for you-it's the least I can do...
    I missed an earlier chance to wish you & your helpmeet a happy anniversary~Hope it was fun...did you conserve water like a good girl? lol just kidding.

Saucy-I saw the pic of you skiing-you go! If that were me you'd see a pic of the skis over my head and my face would be flopping through the water at high speed: )
    I enjoyed seeing the pics of your earlier garden & the present one-I gasped at that later pic-It's beautiful!
    I also enjoyed seeing your kids-they grew so much! Thanks for showing those pics. I'm really glad you're sticking around here!

'Bug I wanted to tell you that I like Reed's middle name-such a noble name.

Hi T!! How are the babies? HAve you had any time to work in your curvy beds?

Mary send some of that rain back this way please? Minus high winds,hail or lightening: )

HI NORMA!

Better get going, Chelone really needs me to drink that wine NOW.

~Babs

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks you guys, you made me feel better. It can all be fixed or replace and it's only stuff. We were planning to rebuild the shed this year and then I didn't want to do such a big project this summer while dealing with my mom's illness and Bella being 2 but looks like I was wrong, lol.

Babs, that explains it. By the time Bella takes a nap I'm so tired I usually take one too. Must be the difference between being mom and grandma. I never took naps when my kids were small.

Cynthia, 'from loss comes opportunity'... maybe I'll just write that quote on the wall in permanent marker tonight :)

No sign of the electric company yet. Lot's of people have no power so I doubt that we'll see them until that's all restored. Maybe tomorrow. Expecting a visit from the insurance adjuster too.

G'nite, Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Just returned from a FINE dinner out that only Deanne could describe adequately. A "goodbye for now" affair. Everyone, especially Reed, will change so much before we meet again....

I could just cry too. Over E collars, fallen trees, ill health.
    I'll no doubt be crying on saturday when I see my garden. I'd better remember:"From loss comes opportunity!"...and write it 100 times on the chalk board. :(
    Wrecks, bon courage!

• chelone
    16 years ago

Just a quickie this morning.

Eden, I'm so sorry to see what has befallen your own little eden. You must be just heartbroken. I like your notion about writing the opportunity line in marker. ;)

No Wrecks in the house today... will be very quiet. I don't think we'll be putting much stock in that silly collar. He spent the night downstairs on the bed with Daddy, the morphine patch is probably mellowing him out by now and is supposed to last for about 4 days. I'll know more this afternoon and tomorrow when I go to bail him out.

Hang tight, Eden! plant life is pretty resilient and it will likely be fine... next year.

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Hi-

Just a quick one this AM, trying to finish last minute packing and get ready for work - hopefully we leave for vacation tonite, if we get the call that this week's occupants of the cottage decided to depart tonite instead of Saturday AM.

Just wanted to let Eden and Chelone and Rex know I'll be thinking of them today.

Eden, having a tree fall like that is devastating - so sorry you had to go thru that ((((Eden)))). I've had it happen three times in my garden now. It truly can be an opportunity, though you probably just want to cry looking at the mess right now. The first time we lost a tree it was in summer, and we happened to be home on vacation. DH helped me dig up about 20-30 plants in the path of the trucks needed for removal (the tree was HUGE). After the tree and debris were gone, we dug out and doubled the size of that shade garden (there are plenty more trees left) and rearranged the plants with some design in mind instead of just plunking. This is a project we might not have undertaken at that time, but looking back I'm glad we did! You'll be amazed, most things will survive, though they may not look their best this year. Fortunately nobody was hurt, and your house is intact! BTW, you may want to speak to your neighbor's insurance adjuster too...

Chelone, good luck with Rex today - I'm sure with your attentive care his recovery will be smooth. I hope you can bring him to work with you, I'm sure both of you would be more comfortable that way. I've tucked your phone # into the center console of my car already, I'll try to call you early next week if I can.

Hi Babs and Ei - glad you stopped in. Waving hi to all I've missed! Have a great weekend!

-Wendy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

TGIF!

Just a drive by this morning-I'm in closing mode.

Eden, jeez, a tree! That could very easily happen here. As others have said, you'll no doubt see the opportunity and go for it once the shock wears off.

The creeping crud is much better. Dr. Feelgood called me this morning to check. I still have a week or so of the antibiotics left and will watch things closely.

Good thoughts for Rex. Zoe is off having her dental. The biggest trauma we go through with that is the no breakfast rule. Tom has to hold her upstairs while I feed Nick and she screams bloody murder...lol.

Hey Babs, great to see you!

OK, I'm gone...

Sue

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

All my bags are packed
    I'm ready to go
    I'm standin here outside your door
    I hate to wake you up to say goodbye
    But the dawn is breakin
    Its early morn
    The taxi's waitin
    He's blowin his horn
    Already I'm so lonesome
    I could die

So kiss me and smile for me
    Tell me that you'll wait for me
    Hold me like you'll never let me go
    cause I'm leavin on a jet plane
    Don't know when I'll be back again
    Oh babe, I hate to go

Theres so many times I've let you down
    So many times I've played around
    I tell you now, they don't mean a thing
    Every place I go, I'll think of you
    Every song I sing, I'll sing for you
    When I come back, I'll bring your wedding ring

So kiss me and smile for me
    Oh babe, I hate to go

Now the time has come to leave you
    One more time
    Let me kiss you
    Then close your eyes
    I'll be on my way
    Dream about the days to come
    When I won't have to leave alone
    About the times, I won't have to say

Oh, kiss me and smile for me
    Oh babe, I hate to go

But, I'm leavin on a jet plane
    Oh babe, I hate to go

Words and music by John Denver

Talk to you all later friends, from Ontario.
    Hi Rex!
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Eden, I feel so bad for you and your garden. We had straight-line winds 6 years ago and my garden, which was pretty young back then, had a similar look. It was at the end of June and things actually looked pretty good later in the summer. I hope that there wont be more damage trying to get the tree out of there. Brad is so handy, were you planning a new shed or remodeling the existing one? Kenzie really enjoys farm animals of which we have lots. She really likes to play "farm" She's very interested in Grampa on the tractor, but refuses to ride in the tractor.

Mary, what a fun opportunity for Annie. The cover is just the coolest.

Cindy, I remember that Gardeners Diary too. I lost a clematis too. It was a new one last year. The others are all going strong. I actually water my garden very little. I picked up sambucus Black Lace and a couple of hydrangea Blushing Bride not overly exciting, but interesting shrubs are hard to find around here. Im envious of Edens weigela My Monet

Brenda, we are having the "serious" heat. 93 yesterday and more for the weekend. Unbelievable that some areas are experiencing so much flooding.

Babs, Im growing Super Sweet Sugar Snaps this year and they are producing like crazy. I showed Kenzie how to eat them right out of the garden when she was here. I have about 7 of fencing with vines on both sides. I think its so wonderful that you and Mary can have the summers off to spend with your family.

Marie, the clematis I have never get extra water beyond the first year. I think they really are quite tough. Fingers crossed for your garden. Im sure leaving is going to be tough ((Marie))

Chelone, thinking of Rex and you today. I would love to see pictures of the tall ships. Dont see many of those in Iowa ;o)

Wendy, have a great vacation the beach right? Right up my alley.

Ive been asked to be on a mini garden tour in 3 weeks. Approximately 50 people, but Ive never had that many people here at one time. It should be interesting. Fortunately Ive got things somewhat in order.

Michelle