Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmcilhargie

Jenni's Garden (lots of work to do!!!)

Lara Noles
16 years ago

I took these pics last Saturday, 6-16 before any work was done. The first picture is looking at the front, north side, of the house from the street.

{{gwi:161629}}

Next is the east side yard.

{{gwi:161630}}

The west, driveway side, which we're planning to convert to all garden between the house and driveway, bye, bye, grass, lol...

{{gwi:161631}}

This next garden is the patio garden at the end of the driveway near the back door. Meg's the only one working, Brad, Jenni and Bella are there on the patio.

{{gwi:161632}}

The east side of the back yard, that patio needs some container gardens asap I think!

{{gwi:158067}}

And last, looking from the back of the house to the back of the property. That's the garage, which they'll use more as a shed, on the right of the picture.

{{gwi:158066}}

As you can see we have LOTS of work to do. So far, yesterday we planted the windowboxes and worked on cleaning up the beds on either side of the front door. We gave them nice curvy lines:) I'll post more pics as we progress and will be looking to you all for ideas and suggestions so be ready!

Eden

Comments (52)

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

What a cute house and yard!! It will be even prettier with your magic touch in the gardens. Curvy beds rule!
    Mary

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is a cute little house. They won't be moving in until August. They're redoing the bathroom, kitchen and refinishing the floors first. We're going to plant a few annuals in the front beds and mulch on Saturday and then I'll take some pictures. In the window boxes we did an impatien mix that is red, salmon and white with some vinca vine draping over the front. They do have some nice trees but they're in need of a good trimming up. The part I'm most not looking forward to is taming that groundcover ivy in pic #5.

Eden

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

I love it!! Bet you guys are having a great time planning!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

What a cute house! It's got everything-patio, fence, and deep, flat lot. I'm worried though at how attracted I seem to be to the garden version of a clean slate. My own garden is scaring me these days...lol. Looking forward to the progress shots.

Sue

• drema_dianne
    16 years ago

Eden her new home is adorable! How nice that she had the window boxes and the patio already there. A couple of areas that will be a fast burst to get you going. You can do so much with her space! Fun, fun!

D.

• chelone
    16 years ago

What an adorable home! I am a bit of a sucker for "bungalows". How old is it? Do we get to see shots of the INSIDE, too? :)

You know I am fond of windowboxes. It will be fun to see how the plantings look, also how they are "dressed" for the rather dreary "off seasons".

What's the plan of attack on the ivy? Roundup? digging? suffocating it? I have to address some Vinca minor this year, I think.

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with; I know it will be terrific. "Pocket gardens" are so cool.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue, I've been feeling that way too. My garden is so chock full of plants, even after much editing last fall, that I can hardly get into it to work. So many things have gotten really big, that it's a hard decision what to do. Jen's garden will be a fun project, and not nearly as intensive as I've made mine.

Chelone, the house was built in 1926. There are so many cute, small, older homes in the neighborhood but people are buying them, tearing them down and building bigger (and much uglier IMO) homes that cover the entire property. Jen's fiance's profession is a kitchen/ bath designer so he's already designed and ordered everything for both projects. I will get some before and after pics to show you. I think they started tearing out the bathroom last night, so it might be too late for a before on that one. They eventually plan to put on a second floor master suite, and bump out the back of the house a bit in the 3-5 year plan.

As for the ivy, not sure what we'll be doing with it. I'll let you know how that's going when we tackle it. Do any of you have experience working with it? I don't think we'll take it all out for the time being, just clean it up and contain it to the area under the tree.

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I have a small area with ivy in my garden. I cut it back severely in the spring and keep it under control that way. I seems like it is easy to pull wandering pieces, but it looks like you have a big patch there. It might take a little more. Its funny but many non-gardeners that come to my garden always want to take home some of the ivy. I'm amazed when I have so many more interesting plants. I always warn them that it can take over.

Eden and Sue, if you want a blank slate to work your magic on, please come and help me ;o)

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michelle, the ivy is pretty. I think for now we just want to clean it up and get it somewhat under control. There are hostas along the fence that the ivy has overtaken and I see lily of the valley mixed in along the fence too (horror of horrors, lol). We did trim it off the patio, it had grown a couple of feet over the edge and had covered up an entire walkway that led to the side yard. We didn't even realize it was there until we started trimming. There were also quite large dead branches that had fallen out of the tree above and were completely hidden in the ivy. Jen thought that was kind of creepy and wondered what else could be hidding under there.

I'd love to have your wide open spaces to garden in.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We finished up the front beds today for the time being. We may change out those boxwoods and the peony for some more interesting shrubs this fall.

{{gwi:161633}}

The hostas along the side we took from the back where we're going to make an herb garden. We added 3 heucheras between the rocks, also a cimicifuga brunette, brunnera looking glass, japanese painted fern and a dicentra king of hearts.

{{gwi:161635}}

On this side, we took out a small common lilac from the corner and replaced it with an annabelle hydrangea, then next to it another hosta from the back garden. There are a couple of new heucheras on this side too. The two hostas on either side of the steps and the one behind the rocks were already there and we left those. We added impatiens along the front on both sides.

{{gwi:161637}}

Here's a closer pic of the window box. We also put some pots with tuberous begonias on the steps. Gotta have at least a couple of containers you know!

{{gwi:161638}}

Eden

• chelone
    16 years ago

Clearly, Jenni's garden is already well on its way. When are you going to put on a tour?? :)

I was thinking how cute Bella looked on the steps, and I was also thinking how nice it is that you've such nice existing plants to rearrange.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

It already looks like HOME. So sweet.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

What great choices you made! Bella looks perfect on those steps :) Everything looks wonderful already. Especially like that idea of removing the lilac in shade and replacing with Annabelle which will look good in at least 3 seasons. I hope Jenni knows how lucky she is to have you for a mother!

Is that a maple tree where the ivy is? I tend to agree with keeping the ivy there as it may be tough to grow grass or anything else under that tree if it's a maple.

I really like window boxes and love impatiens, hope we get more pictures as the boxes mound up.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Great little house Eden...And how clever of your Jenni to find her self a kitchen and bath designer ! I love the transformation so far. Re; the ivy, interestingly ivy is considered a noxoius weed out this way, especially in Oregon where it has escaped in the forested areas and proceeds to strangle the native vegetation. If I'm not mistaken you can't sell it in garden centers in Oregon for that reason. The little patch in your pic looks quite tame by comparison. Thanks for sharing these Eden, I love before and after pics !

Kathy in Napa

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Eden, what a lot of work you've done already! Such a cute house, and you're making it look even better. I agree with keeping the ivy for now, if you can keep it under control.

Thanks for showing us, and keep up the good work!

-Wendy

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

What a wonderful transformation already.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everybody! We're having such fun doing this project. I can't wait until Jenni's next day off so we can
    get back at it, lol.

I'm glad you all seem to think leaving the ivy will be ok for now too. I do think we're going to try to beat it back from the fence a bit so we can do some planting along there. I can see where it could be a real problem in your area Kathy with no winter to at least slow it down.

Cynthia, there are surface tree roots from the maples all over that yard. Digging a planting hole involves more sawing out roots than actual digging. I'm glad you agree on trading out the lilac with the annabelle. I think her old fashioned floppiness will be perfect in that corner and fit in with the feel of the house.

Bella was serving a time out in the pictures. I didn't even really realize I was including her in the shots. She'd gone into the yard next door and gotten herself tangled up in their 14 week old puppy's leash, then fallen on top of him. It was a big tangle of toddler and puppy! We're trying to teach her to stay in 'her yard' while we're working but sometimes she's enticed outside the boundries.

Next we'll be tackling the little rectangular garden next to the patio. It's right outside the back kitchen door and Jen likes to cook so we're going to make it into a little herb garden. Her next day off is Saturday so until then I guess I'll have to be content working in my own garden.

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I used to have ivy in my Toronto garden and kept it under control. I think it looks wonderful!
    The herb garden will be great. Wish I could share some things with Jenni. Yet, I actually use basil and parsley the most and they are annuals for me. My biggest mistake was garlic though. It seeded everywhere and was hard to remove. In fact it still pops up years later! I use chives a lot too.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The herb garden's finished after a full day of work.

This first picture was after we had all the weeds, roots, etc. cleaned out and after we'd removed about 10 wheelbarrows of old soil. We're just getting ready to add the bagged compost.

{{gwi:161640}}

And now a few shots of the finished garden...

{{gwi:161643}}

{{gwi:161645}}

{{gwi:161647}}

The plant in the urn is a buddleia 'purple emperor'. It was a fun day but I'm tired.

Eden

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Bravo!!!!! I just LOVE everything you've done so far. What a lovely, sweet little house. Great design choices with all you've done. Thanks for sharing.
    Deanne

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention, those stones you see 'in' the garden were our way of creating places to step while trying not to make it too obvious like stepping stones would.

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

What a perfect use for that space! Right outside of the kitchen door and looks like good sun. Really nice job and love that urn in the middle. Hi Bella!

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Jenni's house (or should we say "Bella's" is a great house! and what a great space!

I love all that you've done so far and can't wait to see more. I'm sure Jenni knows what a gem she's got for a mom :)

What do you suppose she'll make you for dinner? I vote for herbed fingerling potatoes :)

Saucy

• just_t
    16 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful area you've made! I love the house and the changes that all of you have already made just added so much charm to an already nice looking home.

Ivy is considered a noxious weed here that chokes and kills trees. Someone planted some in the property beside our driveway and we've been concerned about it traveling over onto our property. We're trying to come up with a war tactic if it does. Beautiful but sometimes nasty stuff here.

Wish you lived closer.... :oD

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Wow, it looks great. I needed you to help me with my first herb garden. It was terrible. Poorly planned and ended up very messy. Although, I still have the chives I planted. Jenni's looks well planned. She is indeed lucky to have such a great mom.

Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

What a great job you've done giving this cute house some real curb appeal and usuable outdoor spaces to enjoy! I've always loved creating new gardens but like you, have gotten to a point where I'm out of space and available time to take care of the ones I've got. No doubt that's why I enjoy the container gardens so much.

So, when do the rest of the containers get delivered? lol

Sue

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Only time to look at photos...but WOW! Looks like such fun!

(Will I ever catch up????)

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We spent all morning cutting back the ivy and found all sorts of interesting things. There were fallen tree limbs, at least half a dozen tennis balls, a couple of small toys, two borders so far that the ivy had overrun, one of which is made of quite large boulders and last but not least a big, fat toad that Bella wasn't too fond of, lol. None of it was visible until we started beating the ivy back. Here's a picture of what we've accomplished so far.

{{gwi:161650}}

and here's one of what's left to do

{{gwi:161651}}

I think Jen's decided to just leave the ivy within the rock border around the tree and making the rest into a shade garden if the tree roots aren't too bad. As for the house interior, the bathroom and kitchen have both been gutted and the bathroom has new drywall. The floor guy has done some repair work on the old floors and put new wood floors in the kitchen and front porch area and some damaged plaster has been repaired in the kitchen. The tile guy's supposed to be there this week. So things are moving along inside and in the gardens. I took some before pictures of the house interior and will post them later with pictures of the rooms after they're done. They're hoping for a move in date of August 1. I'm enjoying watching their home improvements much more than I enjoy working on my own.

Eden

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Wow, what a difference you guys are making! Love the herb garden. Sounds like great progress inside and out! Thanks for keeping us updated on all your goings-on :)
    Brenda

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Wow, I didn't even notice the j. maple in the original pictures. Its looking good.

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

What a darling house! And you've done wonders with the landscaping so far. Great job. Best of all, you and Jen are having fun with it. I, too, didn't notice the JM earlier. That's quite an herb garden. Hope that means you and Brad will be invited to a great dinner alot!

Hey, I'm going to have tons of Happy Returns daylillies to share this fall and some hostas if you can use them. Let me know.

Too funny that Bella was in a time-out on the steps. She's such a cutie.

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Eden...I *love* Jen's home! So sweet and bungalows have a special place in my heart. In fact, if our house ever sells, that is what I'm looking for, a small bungalow style home, something Arts & Crafts. I love the windowboxes...did they come with the home? Looks like they were handcrafted. They go pefectly with the house.
    Jenni's so lucky to have such a great gardener for a mom. What a lot of work, but you guys did a beautiful job. Did Jenni plant the trees and shrubs in the landscape before you guys did the other gardening? She did a great job too! :-) Guess gardening runs in the family! Anyway, everything looks great...can't wait to see it all again as it matures. Thanks for sharing! Ei

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I hope this becomes a permanent thread. It is such a hopeful place to come look with a young couple getting started on just the cutest place!

• chelone
    16 years ago

Eden, I've meant to post to this thread for some time now, but have run out of time or energy to do so.

I think it looks just sensational. Isn't it amazing what a little thought and a lot of time and "elbow grease" can accomplish? Jen. must be so excited about it. I know I am just looking at it.

Is that Buddleia in the urn? what will be done with it over the winter? will it be put into "storage" or will it be planted in the ground? I've had mixed luck with them here... a really cold, dry (brown) winter can zap them, as can a warmish, wet one. I think they're tough to grow.

I wanna see the inside, too!

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm back with this weeks of installment of what we got accomplished. We worked on the bed directly behind the house. There's a strip between the house and patio that had what looked like some sort of spireas in it and then around the corner where the air conditioner unit is was bare, well actually the ivy was trying to creep in there. When we first went over to see the house you couldn't even see that the patio had the walk leading around to the side of the house. The ivy had overtaken it.

Here's the after shot of the strip behind the house, you can see what it looked like before in the pic of the herb garden where Jen is watering. She wanted things that would grow up and hide the siding under the window and liked the 'daisy' theme. We put in a rubeckia goldsturm, leucanthemum becky, and echinacea magnus. Oh, and some coleus in front of them for good measure. She may eventually add a window box under that window.

{{gwi:161652}}

We tucked in w. my monet at the corner. I just love that little shrub.

{{gwi:161653}}

Here's the before of the AC unit area...

{{gwi:161654}}

And here's after we planted it today. Hostas, pulmonarias, mini hostas, lamium anne greenaway, and coleus tucked in here and there.

{{gwi:161655}}

{{gwi:161656}}

Ei, the window boxes were already there. I love them too. The shrubs and the j. maple were pre-existing. We plan to replace the shrubs in front by autumn but will leave the jm.

Chelone, that is a buddleia in the urn. I think she may try overwintering it in the garage. I have hit and miss luck with them in the ground here. I took some inside pics for you and I'll put them on another thread.

Thanks everybody for your nice comments. Feel free to give suggestions too please!

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

You guys are zipping right along! Keep those updates coming. I love watching this! The lamium in that corner is a great idea since the brick path will contain it, and it will make a good ground cover for the pulmonaria and hosta in a few years. The daisy area reminds me of a container :) If the plants outgrow the area it would make a great place for seasonal arrangements each year.

I laughed at Chelone's comment that Buddleia are 'tough to grow'. In this slightly warmer climate they are 'tough to kill' and rampant reseeders to boot :) Ivy is huge problem here, but I would not have expected it to be as vigorous in Michigan. I let it go in the wooded areas here as it makes a good ground cover for dry shade, but quickly climbs trees if you aren't vigilant.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Things are going to fill in so nicely over the next few weeks so keep your camera nearby!!!

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cynthia, I think the "daisies" are going to outgrow their space quickly. But she wanted to try them there so she'll learn. It would be a great spot for annuals. We're tackling the strip by the driveway next and I'm suggesting mostly annuals for that space too. We'll see what happens. I have to remember that it's her garden, lol.

Marie, the front is filling in already. I'm only over there on Saturdays and so I really notice how much things grow from week to week.

Eden

• just_t
    16 years ago

What gorgeous changes are being made!

T.

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Eden -- First chance I've had to really look at this thread and I EMPATHIZE with starting fresh. Really fun though, right??? Using plants you know you love and that you know will work is a lot better than the initial newbie trial and error!!!!

Noticed you used 'My Monet'???? One of my favs of late and am looking for more since I only bought one to try and now need five more.

Does the herb garden have Lavender??? If not, why not???? LOL

love the Buddleia in the container and don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but it should overwinter just fine in the pot in the garage/shed after it's hacked back.

Are these all new containers or are they leftovers from you're garden? Either way, really like the assortment and Love, Love, Love the shape of the windowboxes.

Also like the idea of the daisy-types being crammed together.

I'm late for my lunch, but will be checking back here for progress. I agree with GB that this should stay put! It's a great incentive for those who are unsure about if ripping out and starting over is worth it :-)

Martie

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I hope you are finding Mom/Daughter time again this weekend! The weather here is glorious.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the latest installment of pics. We changed out the shrubs in front and added a container garden along the driveway on Fri. 8/3.

Here's what the front looks like now

{{gwi:161657}}

Left bed, replaced a peony and a boxwood with a fothergilla gardenii and a clethra sixteen candles

{{gwi:161661}}

Right side, replaced two boxwoods with a sambucus black lace and a cornus ivory halo and added a contorted white pine where a hosta was on the corner

{{gwi:161663}}

Here's the driveway before shot again

{{gwi:161631}}

and the after

{{gwi:161665}}

Some close ups of some of the containers, Jen's first attempts, I didn't help her with these

{{gwi:161666}}

{{gwi:161667}}

{{gwi:161668}}

{{gwi:161669}}

The other gardens are starting to grow and fill in a bit

{{gwi:161670}}

{{gwi:161671}}

{{gwi:161672}}

That's it for now. Next we'll be tackling more of that ivy and doing a shade garden along this side yard.

{{gwi:161630}}

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Amazing! Great choices on the shrubs Eden. Every yard must have a fothergilla. The orange impatiens are a great color choice and expanding nicely. And the pot garden looks like Jen has been lurking here! She'll have to carry some cuttings over the winter to replicate it next year. Good idea not to plant along the driveway as I'm sure the snow plow would cause damage to anything evergreen.

So is that liatris that snuck into the daisy bed ? :)

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Love, love, love everything you've done. What a sweet little house and a TERRIFIC idea to make the container garden next to the driveway. Easy access to the pots to water and groom and anything planted in the ground there would probably struggle. Thanks for posting these updates. Those impatiens are looking so pretty.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

This is like belonging to Mary's Book Club. I can't wait for each next chapter!

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

My but things are coming along nicely ! What a great job Jen did on the containers ...good color combos .

Looking forward to more..
    Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

You two are really ambitious. Things are looking quite wonderful already.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

I can see Jen definitely has her Mom's creative instincts and is following in her footsteps! What a charming transformation. Truly a delight, Eden.

Thanks so much for updating - I too look forward to the next installments.

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

You said they'd hoped to move in by August 1st. I bet that didn't happen, but I'm eager for interior views as well as the garden progress!

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys! Working on this project with Jen (and Bella) is something I'm enjoying so much. And she's so enthusiastic about gardening. That's a dream come true for me!

Cynthia, yep that's laitris that's found it's way into the daisy bed. The containers are definitely Idyll inspired. I've taken cuttings of all my coleus for her. In the pictures you can see the first batch here and there where she's placed them directly in the gardens. I've got cuttings of the last batch I got on sale rooting for her now. They'll probably go into the container garden. She's even got her first agave. Yucca Do sent my a extra agave stricta as a bonus so I gave it to her. She's planning to set up lights in the basement to overwinter things.

Marie, no they're not moved in yet. Hopefully soon. The floor refinishing guy was slower than they'd hoped and they're still finishing up the new plumbing and some painting. I didn't get before shots but have some during shots and will get afters. The rooms are small which makes it hard to get good pictures though.

Eden

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville