Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

June on the farm

michelle_zone4
15 years ago

Yesterday was some what foggy so I grabbed the camera. We are a little behind here so the pictures aren't overly colorful, but here goes.

The alliums are always a favorite of mine. You can see the Secret Garden in relation to the rest of the area that I garden. Its behind the row of spruces.

{{gwi:161995}}

{{gwi:161996}}

Baptisia and iris just starting:

{{gwi:161997}}

{{gwi:161998}}

{{gwi:161999}}
{{gwi:162002}}
These next 2 are the area I started a couple of years ago, so they are a little bare as things mature. The hosta is Sum and Substance so I'm anticipating that it will fill quite a bit more area.

{{gwi:162004}}

{{gwi:162005}}

I like this japense painted fern with the heucherella Burnished Bronze. The Winkie columbine I grew from seed and I love it.

{{gwi:162006}}

I hope you enjoyed your time here.

Comments (12)

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Michelle, oh I envy those wide open vistas you have. Pictures with no neighborhood detritus like I have here. And everything's looking really lovely though I can tell you're behind even us here in MI. I love pic#2! I always admire those of you who have the self control to leave a little space between plants. My gardens are already so full I can hardly crawl into them and June's only beginning. Not a good sign. I'm seeing many nice combos and really like the blue iris. Asking myself why I don't have any in blue? Looks like the Secret Garden's coming along nicely. Any new ideas or plans for it? Have you solved the drainage issue? The little gardenhouse is very sweet. I always enjoy visiting your farm and gardens. You live in a beautiful and peaceful place. Thanks for the tour.

Eden

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I know things are not calm and peaceful on a farm...but the mist sure makes it appear that way Michelle!

Yes, I too was noticing the spaces between the lovely plants in the second photo! I'm in danger this year with things growing like crazy..especially gigantic delphiniums.

Here the baptisia is at the same stage. Is that a smoke bush coming into leaf in the seventh photo? Looks like mine. Can't wait to see the colors in the Secret Garden.

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Beautiful - and dreamy, Michelle -- I really like the iris combos (wouldnt you know?) and I thought the mist was enchanting - the whole place looks enchanted and worthy of a secret garden! You are doing a tremendous, creative job of bringing lush gardens to the large expanses.

Keep 'em coming.

Cindy

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

You have created a beautiful place Michelle. The neatness and spacing of plants reminds me of my sister's style.
    I love the open farmland, and I sure do miss it !

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Definitely neater than my garden! Everything is later here this year too - it looks like we're only a few days ahead of you. The picture I like best is the one of the Welcome garden with the stone, purple alliums and the silvery-blue grass - that's a wonderful harmony of colors! The second favorite is the fern and the Burnished Bronze - can you tell that I like a lot of almost monochrome plays on color?! Thanks for the tour Michelle.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

The mist really adds a special touch! Fun to see it without the far off views!

What is that blue grass that Woody mentions? Picture 4, I believe. It looks different than Blue Fescue "Elijah".

And the giant dark plant in between the yews in picture 8 (the one with the watering can)? I really like it!

Your garden and views are beautiful! Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Kenzie is one lucky little girl to have her own garden designed by you :)

Saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

How lovely Michelle! I really love all the vignettes you've created. I agree about the Heucherella/Japanese Painted Fern combination. It's just beautiful. I really love all your iris. I don't give them enough room in my gardens becase space is limited and they bloom such a short time. I also love all the blue garden accents you've added. Thanks for the tour! I'll be back to enjoy your serene vistas.

Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Wonderful Michelle.. and I anxiously await the paint job on the SG shed. I think my fave pic is also number 4, the composition is really nice. Everything looks wonderful.

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!

Saucy, the grass is blue oat grass and the purple plant is ligularia 'Britt Marie Crawford' They are both great plants. Its probably pretty obvious that colored or variegated foliage intrigues me.

Eden, Rick did some work out in the ditch to move the water along out there and it seems to have helped alot. I have laid out a path with brick and planted some annuals along it. There is also a gourd tripod, a strawberry circle, cherry tomatoes and strawberry popcorn. The perennials are yellow yarrow and the monster jackmani clematis that we had by our front door that had to move to make way for the new sidewalk. I've also added my parents old porch swing.

'bug, you are correct on the smoke bush ID. You can't have enough of that color in the garden.

Thanks again for visitng and all your kind words.

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Michelle....add me to the list of those who envy your wide open vistas. Just love it and can't imagine what it must be like to wake up everyday and be able to live with all that space. The next thing I notice is all of your lovely Rocks!! lol Lucky girl to have so many. I suspect you didn't have to go far to get them. [g] I also notice you have some very pretty Iris. Love the purple at the edge of your bed in photo #5. They sure look happy there. What type of evergreen tree are those. Such gorgeous mature specimens. I am also a fan of variegated and colored foliage. I think it really adds a lot of interest and light. What a huge Bleeding heart too. Lot of work edging that bed I imagine. How long did it take you? And how do you keep the weeds out from between the bricks?

Loved the tour! :-) It's not often that I have seen a farm that had such a garden. I am amazed that with all the farm work you have, that you are willing to put in more work to garden. You must really love your garden and it shows. :-)

pm2

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Michelle, I always enjoy a tour of your gardens. You have done a great job of intergrating the beds into a large area. I like those purple alliums and the short purple iris. I would like to plant some alliums for next year. Kudos to you for having such a nice garden and working full time too. Norma

• denisez10
    15 years ago

What an enchanting farm, Michelle. And alliums are a favorite of mine, too, but they hate either a) my soil and/or b) the crowded conditions here. Such lovely swathes of everything, just gorgeous!