Today I walate in the rain....

{{gwi:162042}}

And you?

:)

Comments (103)

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Another misty/rainy day. Many areas are having flooding issues. It's time for the sun to shine again. We went to town tonight. I was able to find a new outfit for Rick's class reunion. I just don't get around to shopping for clothes in the summer. It seems like plants are so much more interesting. I also bought some slug bait for the first time. I've never had a problem before, but hosta 'Guacamole' appears to be pretty tasty.

'bug, thanks for the info on the clary sage. I guess I haven't gotten close enough to smell it. I think I need to take a lesson from you and all your spots you find to add clematis.

Cindy, I've wanted to see "It's Complicated" Isn't she a gardener in the movie?

Saucy, I meant to tell you how much I loved your turtle picture - I want a turtle in my garden! I'll have to show Kenzie. She'll love it.

Michelle

• saucydog
    13 years ago

The turtles are a bonus, Michelle. If you have to live with mosquitoes (from the waterway behind the house) then you get turtles, I guess. Besides, you're growing roses along the roadside...impossible here :)

The other thing I'm seeing alot of this year is LARGE garter snakes. Yikes. I think it's the new chipmunk population that is feeding them and the cat. Yuck yuck yuck!

I still really want that albizia, Cindy, lol! Your garden is putting on quite a show.

Today is looking gorgeous...clear and upper 70's. I'm going to put on my gardening garb and get at it! This week we're preparing for the Antiques Sale. My neighbor plants old chairs/stuff with sedums and takes it to the sale. I'll be watering and weeding. Things are shaping up at her place. After quite a few years of letting it go, we're whipping it into shape!

Have a great day.

Saucy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

gb - the chocolate garden retired with Randy! :-) Hot Cocoa was evicted from the garden earlier this spring for the crime of too much blackspot! A neighbour took cuttings of it last fall - she didn't want the big plant. Last week she showed us a happy-looking young plant from one of the cuttings. She said she has 4 of them. She gave one to a former neighbour, kept one for herrself and will give the other two away too. Did you see my question from the other day - do you think Betty Corning could grow on the arbour and along the swag chains as a substitute for the New Dawn rose? We decided yesterday we'll do a purge of the roses (New Dawn, Therese Bugnet, Blanc Double de Coubert, The Fairy and some Angel roses are all getting SP'd later in the summer....) and replace them with flowering shrub + clematis combinations.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woody, I think Betty C has a mind of her own and would resist being told how and where to grow. Her girth might prevent people from passing through the gate. That's just my experience. I hope others will add their thoughts!!!

I still have Blanc Double, but as an outcast in a distant area where she gets NO attention. I was about to do exactly what you and Randy are doing this Fall, SP them all, but wouldn't you know, this turned out to be a fabulous rose year, the best ever! So I am very much enjoying Rose Marie, Felicia, Crocus Rose, The Alexandra Rose, Cornelia, Prairie Joy, Morden Sunrise, Burgundy Iceberg and some others whose names I don't remember.

Did some cutting back of tulips and camassia, then some quick weeding and now off to the dump. It's a beautiful but HOT day unfolding. Lots to do before weekend company arrives.

13 years ago

GB - I was afraid that might be the case re Betty... Any suggestions on what else might work? Should I just treat it like your veggie garden arbour and plant several (TBD) at the foot of the swag posts and the arbour structure and get them to climb to the chains rather than trying for one that would cover the whole arbour+swag?

Cindy - love the look of your garden!

It's been a good rose year here so far too. It smells lovely in the front garden, with a combination of roses, honeysuckle, the last of the peonies, the Blue Wave petunias and even a Brug flower or two. But I'm still going to SP the listed things - it's almost like getting another garden because now I need to plan for significant replacement plants that will 'fit' the feel of the garden. I don't think I'll miss the evicted plants too much, although it'll take a couple of years for replacement to get big enough to fill the holes. But planning for new is lots of fun.

Sunny but very cool here today. Randy continued to work on the shed painting. I thinned out the bridalwreath spireas and cut the prunings up for the brush pick-up.
    Copper supervised; Misty slept on the job!
    The shed door end window trim are done now. Tomorrow is supposed to be raining so the top and corner trim likely won't be done until Thursday or Friday. I think the door might need to be darker, but we'll live with this:
    {{gwi:162109}}

The Copper beast on the job:
    {{gwi:162111}}

Misty not!:
    {{gwi:162114}}

The swag is just starting to bloom - you can easily see why we decided to clear New Dawn off the arbour to start over. Once we took that decision, the decision to remove it altogether easily followed.
    {{gwi:162116}}

13 years ago

Using one of Randy's roof view photos, this is a mockup of where the tuteur will go (eventually...) as well as where the BDC, Therese Bugnet and Fairy roses will be deleted. The BDC rose is the X in the bed with the mulch path behind it. The Angel roses in that bed will go too - essentially that bed will be mostly cleared out and replanted. A hydrangea with clematis will probably be the featured shrub in it. The Therese Bugnet rose may also be replaced by a hydrangea/clematis combination. I'm still figuring out details.
    {{gwi:162118}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tonight's dinner was somewhat interesting for a change. LOL. We started with leftovers...but good ones. But then I was adventurous this afternoon. I picked up local strawberries, 2 kilos of them! I turned them into a cold strawberry soup, a recipe I've wanted to try for ages. It was really good! It uses balsamic vinegar, sugar, orange and lemon rind and yogurt. Best of all, there's enough left for another day.

Tonight I took a walk-about with my camera. Here are some of my favorites-
    Campanulas and lilies
    {{gwi:147456}}

Elderberry blooms
    {{gwi:162119}}

Roses on fence
    {{gwi:162120}}

Juuli and foxgloves
    {{gwi:162121}}

Morden Snowbeauty
    {{gwi:162122}}

The Alexandra Rose
    {{gwi:162123}}

Rose Marie
    {{gwi:162124}}

Enough for now! I got carried away because I've never had good roses before!!!
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I believe pinks and white must be the color of the day in both 'bug and Cindy's gardens.

Cindy, I love your garden gone wild! You have some really cool plants. I like the Albizia Summer Chocolate - what a yummy name LOL I especially like your brick work with that fabulous urn in the middle.

'bug, your roses are looking especially lovely.

Woody, I've tried to grow New Dawn for years. I always have winter cane die back so mine never really climbs. Yours is so pretty but I can see your desire for a change. It is fun to plan something new.

The sun finally came out this afternoon. We spent the evening limbing up some of our trees. Of course this involved largish limbs dropping in my gardens. Not too much damage was done and the job is mostly finished. The lilac hedge was also trimmed down some. I had 2 swings that I wanted Rick to hang in trees for Kenzie. She loves to swing. So branches had to be removed and one thing led to another. I took her to a park with a very large wood playset. There are lots of things to climb on and do and all she really wanted to do was swing. She is enamored with tire swings, so one of them is a horse tire swing. She's coming over on Friday so she will be surprised.

Well, that's all I have for now.

Later
    Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Just a quick hello-enjoying the pics from today ! Cindy is that Albizia in a container ? Ive often pined after it , but no space for something like that here. Your garden continues to look so pretty. I agree with Michelle, I always love seeing your urn area-it must be so nice to come home from the awfice and go out and drink that in.

Rethinking Betty, and continuing to ponder.

Waving to all !

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning all,

We had a gorgeous day here yesterday and are in for another beauty today. What a treat! Unfortunately its going to be in the 90s for the garden tour this weekend so things will be melting before our eyes, but, nothing to be done about it. The tropicals are growing at light speed and overall things are in good shape. Im having a ball having the time to polish things up and arrange the garden art to my satisfaction. Yesterday I went out and bought two ceramic pots in chartreuse to go in my red/chartreuse container section on the hot tub deck. Im having way too much fun! LOL

Kathy, Betty is at the top of my favorites list. Yes she gets large but is such a beauty! I have her draping over my white picket fence in the driveway garden and its beautiful.

Michelle, cant believe you were limbing up trees while the gardens are in bloom!!! Yikes! Glad you didnt have too much damage. Kenzie is going to love her swing!

Bug! Your roses are gorgeous! How very lovely and I really like that pink lily/campanula combination! Also love your Persicaria. What a great plant that is.

Woody, why are your removing the roses in the front bed? That tuteur is going to look great in that garden.

Saucy, hw did your gardening day go yesterday? Looking forward to seeing you today!

Cindy, your gardens are looking absolutely lovely! Love all those lilies and hemerocalis with the clematis. Simply beautiful!

Here are a couple pics from this AM, my new purple pot for the front steps. It was a bit steep but I absolutely love the color and shape of this one.
    {{gwi:162125}}

The driveway urn is filling in nicely
    {{gwi:162126}}

OK Im off to start my day. Have a good one everybody
    Deanne

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Deanne, I'm looking forward to our garden visit today. I had a great time in the garden yesterday - I cleaned out three aisles for my neighbor and Jake laid the sand. She uses beach sand in the aisles and walks barefoot in her garden. It does pack down nicely.

In my own garden I continued to get things planted and pulled some weeds. The front of the house is done in red this year, but it's not ready for it's photo op, ladies! I knew you'd ask :)

I need to photo the GG, but I haven't been able to get the messes cleaned up so that I can get the camera out. I am a messy gardener (person).

Okay...time for me to get ready to go to Deanne's. I've gotta whip this house into shape first!

Saucy

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Just loving all the photos - this is just one of the best of times in the garden isnt it? I confess by late August Im usually burnt out and dont care - but for now I've still got the enthusiasm and so do the plants, LOL.

Woody -- would you consider replacing the ND swag/along fence with several of the Type 3 clematis and/or another vine? There's a variegated lonicera that's really pretty and would provide color if clems were out of bloom. Or some other combo like that. It's interesting that most of us have pulled our ND's -- it just wasnt giving me the most bang for its placement and it is a monster eventually, pretty as it is.

Gardenbug, I just love your photos - you've got lilies in bloom too now, wow! Your area season catches up quickly. And is that a sambucus black lace? I thought it was too cold in your area for one -- I love the look of it.

Deanne - your pots are terrific as always and spurs me to want to try some or do better -- I have to pull myself back - sometimes it gets too overwhelming to water... But Im living vicariously through you, LOL.

Kathy - the albizia is not in a pot - it suffered some dieback in the first year winter, but even this past one where it was so horrible, it's gotten up and gotten going; altho its original leader died off, so it's a bit lopsided & I suppose I should stake but I havent.... but I sure do love its color and leaves.

Michelle - I think all kids just adore swings, and the homemade ones are the very very best - to this day, my DD recalls the one in her grandmother's backyard. I've tried to get Weigela My Monet a couple times, but no luck (or the one I saw I think was $50 which I refused to pay) - it's on my wish list to try -- I've loved seeing yours and Laura's - and you know me and anything variegated, LOL....

Deanne - in your driveway urn shot - what's planted behind the ajuga? It has a blue bloom - almost looks like part of the ajuga but I was thinking it's something else, like a campanula or a geranium? Love its colors with the ajuga. I really really need to pay more attention to trying to do some edging plants - mine all seem to die out and I end up with grass...

Well, gotta get the day going -- it's DD's birthday and we're actually going to have dinnere tonite together -it's been a few years since I celebrated on the day with her - usually they've gone out of the country - but with the baby on the way, they're starting to cut back on big celebrations, LOL - the first of many more...

-Cindy

13 years ago

Deanne - the roses are coming out of the front bed largely because they are big and prickly to work around. Queen Elizabeth in the driveway border will stay, as will the mass of seed-grown Angel roses in the herb bed. ND is largely being removed because it's too high to do maintenance easily. I think the ideal place for it is to grow it along a 4' tall cedar rail fence - the color would be perfect with the cedar and on a low fence, it would be easy to maintain. Let's face it, we're not getting and younger and trying to keep ND in shape from a stepladder isn't going to be possible at some point. So, better to remove it now and give something else time to get established - something that is not going to rip you to shreds and, if ignored for a while, isn't going to turn into an impenatrable mass! Have fun with the tour- wish we could go see it....:-) We really enjoyed it when we were a host garden on the local tour here - but it was exhausting too. I'm sure visitors will be bowled over by your garden!

Cindy - Group 3 clematises will likely be the main things living on the swag chains. I'm starting to make lists/think about what I want to do - GB - prepare to be bugged a lot... :-) When I proposed to Randy replacing ND with clematises 'like on GB's arbour in the vegetable garden', his response was 'YES! YES! YES!' We both love the look of that.

Cindy - I have the 'Harlequin' variegated honeysuckle on the fence on the north side of the yard. It doesn't twine and has to be tied in so that wouldn't work to well on the arbour and chains. I'll look at others but I think I may stick to clematis. GB - you created a monster when you introduced me to clematis I think - this is all your fault :-)

The rain has stopped here but I doubt it'll dry off enough to paint today. I'm really anxious to get the shed finished and move on to other things.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Woody! I'm certainly prepared for clematis questions. You might also consider annual vines, like Lablab, for color at other times. I love these and they're easy to grow from seed. I start them indoors before planting them out. The pods are at least as handsome as the blooms!

Deanne, I like those new "purple" pots of yours! The remind me of giant eggplants!

Cindy, the lilies are on their way to blooming, but I confess that the ones with the campanula were bought in bud recently. (Guilty!) Yes to that being Sambucus black lace. Some years it does better than others, but it always returns.

Yes, the roses look mighty pink, as do the foxgloves, but really, I've been enjoying orange and purple lately, sometimes even together.

This morning I weeded the main walkway under the arbor, in the rain. The weeds just grew 8" overnight! ARGH!!! I hope my buddies can come help out tomorrow to do a quick cleanup near the house! I may have to resort to bribery.

Looks like a bit of sun trying to peek out! I hope things dry up enough to work out there tomorrow.

Enjoy your gardens this evening!
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I agree with bug on the hyacinth bean vine. I usually grow it in a few spots. Im growing Painted Lady bean vines in the potager this year for something different.

Talk about weeds! Weve had about a week of rainy weather and you can about imagine what the weeds are like by now. I really have to concentrate on that.

I have s. Black Lace and it is very vigorous here. In fact the last couple of years I chop it to about 2 in the fall and it had filled out quite a bit and isnt as floppy and spindly.

Deanne, thats the way things work when you are married to a farmer. They do those odd jobs only after spring field work and before fall field work. Your driveway urn is so pretty. Is that a cuphea in front? I like the 2 colors. Oh, that purple pot is to die for.

Cindy, funny you havent been able to locate a My Monet at a good price. I picked mine up at Lowes a few years ago very reasonable. Ive seen them a number of places since. I may add a few more.

Michelle

13 years ago

My post from earlier today seems to have gone missing... gb - I have considered lablab before but wasn't sure if the color would look good with our our yellow house. Also, the dried beans being poisonous worried me a bit with the dogs around. Can you (and Michelle) please post pictures of it so I can get a better idea of the color?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woody, do your dogs eat your outdoor beans now?
    I haven't grown lablab for several years. I seem to travel west to DD's just at the time when seedlings need special attention before planting out. I'll post google photos though.

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Wowee, as I did my WALAT tonight I considered the special event just around the corner-IU kick-off is just one week from tomorrow ..how did that happen ? Im really looking forward to returning the hospitality that so many of my imaginary friends have shown me on my visits east. I surely regret the Idylls who cant make it this year, and hope to see some of you in October.

Re: Wiegela My Monet absolutely nowhere to be found out here.

I am really thinking hard about changes I might make in the garden this fall . The concrete removal thing though is keyif I cant make that happen the plans will need to be set on the back burner. I really need to get a quote soon so I know what kind of budget I am looking at-I need to be able to do the project and still have funds for a trip to NE this fall, and of course IU next summer.Who knows where that will be, although I m sure there will be discussion next week.

Cindy, I couldnt help but notice your Daylilies ; I keep lurking over at the DL forum but have thus far restrained myself !

Lovin the aubergine pot Deanne- Best wishes to you on your garden tour, I know your guests will be blown away by your fabu garden..

All for now waves to all!

I miss Chelone too ! And Mary , and Marian, and Eden ! (though some I see daily over on FB !)

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mornin'!

This is a website that some of you may want to bookmark. It contains a Clematis of the Month section as well as a printable shopping list to keep in your purse. ;)

It is cloudy here this morning, but a gardening day is about to begin!

13 years ago

GB - I printed that list off a few days ago and am looking at COTW for more information on each of them that looks interesting. I figure it'd be smart to use the 'easy' ones to start with. You grow Markham's Pink - right...? How early does it start blooming and how long does it bloom? I'm considering it as a candidate for growing through a shrub that doesn't need pruning in spring... Re the lablab beans - because we dog-sit a changing 'pack' of dogs, the fact that I haven't noticed any of the current pack eating things like beans doesn't mean the next new dog we take care of won't. I'm sure that if I checked them all, I'd find there are 'no-no' plants in the yard, but I try to avoid the obvious ones. Also, the only beans and other legumes we've grown have been on the driveway or in the front yard. The dogs don't have free access to those areas. If I grew lablab on the arbour, they would then have access to the beans unsupervised. I had already Googled lablab for pictures, but the variability in color is always high. I like seeing pictures from people/places I know, which gives me a better feel for how 'true' the color is.

Sunny and cool here today - should be a good painting day. With luck, maybe Randy can finish the trim on the shed today.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I grow Markham's Pink in a pretty shady area so it stays small. It does no get pruned. It is on the post of the patio gate. It blooms a while...but not for really long. A month maybe?

If you grow the type 1 clematis over things like cedar shrubs, it tends to kill off their green growth. Just from my experience....

Lunch now...and then back to work outdoors. Planted a bunch of things from the plant ghetto today, which is always exciting as well as a relief!

'bug

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good afternoon all,

Well, Im all tuckered out and its only 2:40 in the afternoon. I must be getting old or something. Im about ready to have a break from all this intensive gardening. It will be a fun weekend but Ill be glad when the garden tour is over. I spent some time yesterday and took scads of pictures then last night resized them and arranged them in a gallery that starts at the front and goes all around the house and shows all the gardens and container areas. Ill post a few highlights here and do a separate photo thread for those interested in taking a virtual tour. The weather continues to be such a frustration this year. Today is again very cool out, mid 60s, windy and they are predicting the next three days to be in the mid 90s. I seriously dont ever remember a year with this kind of temperature fluctuations. I have a few begonias and caladiums that are quite unhappy with the current state of affairs and the pansies dont know whether to bloom or fry. As soon as they recover from one bout of 90 degree days and look like they are going to have another good bloom then it gets hot again and ruins them. Some of the hydrangeas and brunneras have some burned foliage from that 100 degree day we had a couple weeks ago. Anyway, enough complaining about something I cant do anything about. I just wish the temperatures would settle down to something in the middle of what weve been getting. Next week I have to hit the ground running in the painting studio as I have a class the weekend of July 9 and still havent painted the piece yet! Yikes! I must like working under pressure. This will be the sixth in the series of roses and fuchsia charger plates and Im actually looking forward to doing some painting.

Saucy and I had a terrific visit yesterday and she brought me three of her lovely leaves. They are hosta leaves and are for the side of my shed next to my new print. I found a site that sells outdoor art and bought a piece for the shed that can be viewed from the bench in the shade area. The leaves are going to go to the left of the print. Cindy has picked up a couple containers that have the look of the urn in this print and Ill replace these two containers with the new ones next year. What Id really like is one of those beauties from WFF but they are just too pricy.
    {{gwi:162127}}

LOL Bug about the pot looking like a big eggplant, indeed it does! I didnt see it until you mentioned it. I think next year I should grow eggplants in it. Wouldnt that be a hoot? Im very happy at the moment that I have NO plant ghetto. Everything is either in a container garden or in the ground.

Woody Im looking forward to seeing mature clematis on your swags. That should be gorgeous. Hope Randy can finish the painting today. Doug finally finished painting our shed and gate here so things are looking spiffed up for the garden tour.

Kathy, Im so sad I cant make the IU this year. There just isnt any way I can get that painting done between now and the class dates and include a trip to CA on top of it. So anyway, hopefully Ill get to see you in the fall. I know you are going to have the best IU ever!

Michelle, yes that is Cuphea cyanea in the driveway garden urn. I really love that plant. It blooms its head off all season. I was going to plant a couple W. My Monet here this spring but couldnt find any. The last few years they were everywhere and this year are not to be found.

Cindy, that is a geranium next to the Ajuga in the driveway garden. Ive unfortunately lost that tag so cant give you the variety. I seriously dont know why the ground covers do so well in that garden except that it is sunny and hot. Not something youd think Ajuga would like but this is a really great patch of Burgundy Glow and I dont seem to be able to grow it anywhere else.

Here are a couple of the clems blooming here right now.

I think this one is Gurnsey Cream
    {{gwi:162128}}

Pearl dAzure behind the rose garden
    {{gwi:162129}}

Betty Corning draping over the white fence in the driveway
    {{gwi:162130}}

Arabella
    {{gwi:162131}}

Polish Spirit and Arabella on the arch
    {{gwi:162133}}

OK Ive got to get back at it. Lots left to do on the list for the day. Have a great day all
    Deanne

• chelone
    13 years ago

Another victim of thunderstorms and digital ineptitude here. But things are looking up! at least I think so.

First of all, thoughts turn to Cyn. and I surely hope that things are looking up for you and DH. I grew up with that crap and it's definitely "nowheres-ville".

I'm not much fun these days. Just seems to be a little black cloud that trails me and periodically puts me in its shadow. Thoughts of dead friends, missed opportunities, and the passage of time tend to bring on tears with alarming frequency... any chance that at 51 hormones factor into the equation?? ;) As long as I don't lose my sense of humor about it all and Wrecks doesn't die in the next few months leaving me destitute of something to kick, I'll be fine.

At any rate, I'm barely able to hold my tongue when faced with a workplace tantrum or the designation of defacto whipping boy. I find myself becoming downright contemptuous of that foolishness and have actually just gone home when it's abraded me beyond my ability to "turn it off" and withdraw into my work.

Your pictures have been a delight; esp. Woody's single peonies, which have charmed me utterly. Catherine Deneuve elicited an audible guffaw, too.

What nice people you are. Wish I was going to Idyll in Fantasyland... please post virtual shots here, maybe send more private ones to my e-mail... since I've not "optimized my FB experience"...

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Well, I'm breathless - from your photos, Deanne -- it's impeccably artistic and beautiful. I loved that ptg when you showed me but it's even more unusual and stunning on the shed - the worries I had that those containers might not work have vanished - they're going to look amazing there. How innovative - most of us would have hung iron work or ornments/pots of some sort on the shed -- another one of a kind choice that sets your gardens aside, Deanne -- of course, the fish are stunning amongst the maple and the pond as well.

Thanks for the plant i.d. next to the ajuga - Im going to bet it's Midnight Reiter and I'll have to look for it - it's given me some more ideas on how to whip my edging problems.. It makes me feel better to know you can't recall the names of everything you plant any more,either, LOL. I was really starting to wonder about my mind - just too much too fast and no time to organize it appropriately.

This is the first evening I had the chance to get out in the garden - no time for WALATing but I managed to cut the grass, smush the daylilies and do a little deadheading. It felt great - two whole hours in a cool, low humidity evening - late leftovers for din but a sense of accomplishment. Since we're going to be getting the same stinking 90s on the weekend, AGAIN, as your region, Deanne, I likely will have to turn my attention to IU prep and packing, with some yard chores in the early a.m. each day.

Kathy, the daylilies are pretty good this year; the last 2 years of adding more colors and stock seem to be paying off - I especially like the couple of spider types that are finally blooming - but just not enuf space for more - and still some to like SP as I dont like their color or something...

Good to see you check in, Chelone - wish we would lift your spirits -- sometimes, if one can, you just have to kick yourself and say, gotta find some good things to look at in life and throw the yoke of the other depressing things off -- you've got a great dawg, helpmeet, health (except for raging hormones I bet, LOL) and likely other friends still alive with whom you maybe need to hang with more!!! Even blow the stuff at woik - I've been working really hard to "suck it up" all the time and keep my mouth shut - something totally alien to me... but likely speaking these days where I am does nothing but earn one the unwanted attention of folks you dont want to have notice you - it's a job, it's a job is my mantra and I leave it and come home to my "Real life." I do know however that it is easier said than done for some folks who are really feeling depressed -- but pls dont let it sink you --
    - Ok, nuf philosophizing from me - here's hoping all the folks are enjoying nice evenings in their respective gardens and WALATs or SALATs are in order....

-Cindy

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone. Sorry I haven't been a very good idyller. I have been really busy with the kids,helping with new babies. Jenny had to take Anna to lactation consultant every day for a week after the baby was born. She lost weight, bottom line, Jen's milk did not come in. She had colostrum, but the milk did not show up. I have read about it, but never seen it in my experience. I am a diehard believer in breastfeeding, nursed all my kids, and both my girls have nursed all their babies, so this was a new one on us. Anyway, we found a formula that works for her, so all is well. The baby is gaining weight, she sleeps a lot, and I think this will work out just fine for Jen.

Deanne, your gardens look like a painting. So gorgeous! Your hard work is paying off.

Cindy, I loved the pic of your garden, it looks so pretty. Mine is still mostly leaves, except the annuals. I really have a lot of shade, so have to go with textures more than flowers, which doesn't really impress in pics. But soon the flowers will be blooming.

Chelone, I hope you start feeling better. When I was your age, I sold Skip's van, made him take me to the Rocky Mountains, quit the job I had for 15 years, and did a couple of other out of character things that I can't quite remember, but I know I spent a lot of time in tears, and felt like I was going insane. My mom promised me it was hormones, and that I would return to myself, so I will tell you that too. I liked it when the hot flashes showed up, because then I knew it was physical. But that was at the very end of a couple of really horrible years. Somewhere in the middle I discovered the idylls, the conversation here gave me something to look forward to everyday, but they didn't know it at the time. Hang in there. My mom told me to put my head under the faucet with cold water, but it didn't seem to work for me. Get an iPod if you don't have one, and put in all of your favorite music. That helps.

Eileen, so nice to see you! Glad all is well and that you have found a job you enjoy doing.

Bug, thanks for sharing all of your pictures. I really looking at your farm.

Mary hasn't posted for the longest time, and I don't have her email. I hope everything is okay with her.

Skip has been gone this week, and I didn't get as much done as I wanted to. He should be back in about a half hour, so I doubt if I will now. Devin just said he wants go home to spend the night there. He has been hanging out here for a few days, and I think he misses the babies, or his memory foam:)

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Drema

13 years ago

Fly-by post...

Shed not quite done (south and back walls still only primed but trim is done....
    {{gwi:162134}}

Hi Chelone! Hang in there.... :-)

Deanne- gorgeous pictures - some of those clematis are on my 'consider' list - will have to look closer tomorrow....

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Congratulations Randy! It has receded handsomely.

Deanne, your shed wall is so lovely! Waiting to see the leaves now. Is your Betty really that pink? I love Perle d'Azur...but it was slow to take off here. What a treat your guests are in for!

Had a busy day and ache.
    'bug

• candy_j
    13 years ago

I cant find my post from a couple of days agohow does this happen?! Im sure I hit submit after previewing but its not here. All those individual comments on photos, Michelles fairy garden (Ill show you mine one of these days) sheds, clematis and rosesgone. I cant summon the words from memory so Im just going to blame Hal and move on, sheesh.

Vacation plans were modified with the gulf oil disaster. Leaving tomorrow but we decided to shorten the trip this year. Truthfully, I dont mind as we have the big annual family get together coming up in July and I need a little more space between the two. The gardens will have to fend for themselves as it turns out my plant sitter was unavailable this summer. Weve had over 4 inches of rain during the last week so that should help offset the upcoming predicted heat and humidity. Ill be more than ready to come home and check out the great time the Idylls are having at IU7!

Ive been running on fumes and adrenaline the last few days and am about to deflate like a balloon. It drives DH crazyIm such a list maker. And my camera is doing this weird thing, the image kind of rolls on the LCD monitor, has vertical lines and a pink tint, then after the first photo it seems OK.

Must get to bedquick wave to everyone and have a great weekend!

Candy

• jak1
    13 years ago

Hi all!

After three days and MUCH frustration, I have managed to a) get my camera working again; b) take some photos; c) transfer them to the computer; d) find them on the computer; and e) relearn how to post.

So later I may actually post a few, if not on this thread I might start a new one, as I don't want to mess this one up by mistake *LOL*

I am such a Ludite!

Chelone! I am so glad to see you again! Sorry that you are not in the happiest of places just now - been there, done that, no fun at all. It does pass after a while, in theory anyway.

I have been reliving my memories of the compound a lot this week as IU VII approaches. I wish I were flying west instead of east next Friday, well, sort of. I am looking forward to a reuinion with DH's family, it has been twelve years since we were all together, and this time it is for a wedding and not a funeral. Oh how I miss you all! I expect to see lots of posts - but I won't have a computer until July 3, so I bet I'll be reading for a month!

Bug, I feel for you and your family. We are all so lucky to have shared a little bit of Reed through you. And yes, the full moon will always be a Reed moon to me too.

Woody, I didn't think the shed would look good blending into the background so much, but I love it! Good choice!

Deanne, I hopoe the garden tour is a huge success this week-end. Who wouldn't love your unusual garden! (Unusu8al in that you have so many lovingly tended pots).

I too have been thinking of Cyn and hoping things are looking up.

Drema, you sure have been busy! Happy busy though!

Interesting that so many are thinking of SPing New Dawn. I am not a rose person so can't comment. I am terrible with roses, having managed to kill off every one that I've ever planted...

DH started my daylily bed today, and I have bought two plants to put there. Of course I forget the names already, but I'll check the tags tomorrow. Thanks for head up about the deadheading chore, Woody. I actually have a very small garden and don't have to deadhead much at all, so I think I will be able to keep up.

My Stella D'oro, Purple D'oro, and Many Happy Returns are budded/blooming. Also, I bought a daylily called Wild Horses from a mail order company, got a little tiny plant, but now it has four leaves and a scape! I can hardly wait! I have several other beautiful daylilies but got them before I bothered keeping tags, so I have no idea what they are. I can take photos and post when I come back, unless they are done by then. They are not rebloomers.

I too miss Mary. Did we do swomething bad??

O.K. here goes: my fence and the Spite fence, where the daylily bed will go to hide the grass and weeds in the he** strip.....

View from the front

{{gwi:162136}}
    View from the back
    {{gwi:162138}}

Ignore the dates on the photos - I have not yet figured out how to reset the camera...

See why I want to do something? I have clematis Tangutica and Virginia Creeper started on there now.

Cheers,

Julie

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

A busy weekend ahead, the final crunch before a passel of Idylls descend on me next Thursday. The most difficult part of the whole event has been admitting to myself that the time is finite and there is no way to cram in everything I would like my friends to see. Since I will be within range of my computer for the first couple of days I can promise lots of updates for those who were not able to join us this year, and Ill take my laptop with me when we hit the road for the coast.

Deanne, your garden is just perfect..Im going to try to set aside some time this weekend to view the gallery you posted at leisure- Love your Saucy leaf and the cool shed painting too. I hope my visit in fall sneaks in before the 1st killing frostheres to Indian Summer !

Hormones Chelonejust harken back to the hormone kick-in era pituitary overdrive. At least we dont get a face full of zitz this go round, and life experience should give us some perspective. I think back a few years and even though I pride myself on emotional stability I think I was pretty close to being a mess- had the DH passing going on at the same time . I feel much better now; its just a road you have to travel . I just had to concentrate on the positive things in my life , and learn to live with the negatives. Lets see, I dont live in Haiti or Afghanistan, I have a job, I have a house, I live in a beautiful part of the world, my kids have some struggles but they are nice people and I am in a position to help when needed. Not so bad. I wish you were Idylling in Fantasyland with us too ! Never too late to change your mind..kick off 5pm Thursday. You only live once, right ? Too bad life can be so complicated.

Drema, I loved your tale of the mid-life crisis, the road trip, the heave-ho on the job. Boy do I have days when I would like to heave-ho. I sure look forward to having you with us next week !

Hi Julie ! Bet that side yard of your has more square footage than my entire lot, lol. So why dont you just take down the chain link ? Is the wood fence the neighbors ? All our fences here are redwood lots are very small , chain link is rarely seen. But what a great opportunity for bug-like Clem action ! Id be foaming at the mouth.

Ok, gotta go, I have an early day of IU prep tomorrow

Kathy in Napa

13 years ago

Julie - I think Kathy has the right idea. Take down the chainlink - leave the posts and top (and bottom - I don't see one) rails so you could easily put it up again if need be. Then you could clear out the grass by hand before putting in the bed. You might want to install a grass barrier at the base of the fence to prevent grass from coming from the other side.

• jak1
    13 years ago

Taking down the chain link is not an option. We are thinking of using Round-Up (illegal in this town, but WTH) - just along the edge, and then installing a grass barrier. Then digging the garden and amending the soil, and I can start collecting the daylilies! Yes, I was foaming at the mouth for a while, but a) the neighbour is nuts and b) who would want to be friendly with someone who thinks this is a solution??? The wood fence is three feet from virtually ALL of the windows in that house. Can you imagine resale?? A few other people have had "situations" with this lady so it's not just me. We are actually enjoying the privacy and simply want to hide the mess. It will come.

Cheers,

Julie

• chelone
    13 years ago

I never had to deal with the zit-ravaged face so many teens suffer. I was just white-skinned and geeky in an era of tall, tanned, oh-so-perfect in bikinis... (and couldn't swim to save their lives). My navy blue Speedo set me apart... along with heavy duty sun-screen. A real trend setter, huh?

Big day for Deanne! It's all beautiful and the day will be a complete success. You couldn't ask for a nicer day...

Big laundry day for me. Not sure what I'll do today, but lawn mowing will be a central feature. There is plenty of weeding, too, but my zest for that sort of thing seems to have by-passed me this year. I just don't seem to be able to assign it any sort of priority. And that's OK.

We saw "The Drowsy Chaperone" last night, and it was delightful! We laughed and laughed and I suspect our next cat will be named, Adolpho. :) Can't believe that Monday will mark our 18th. year of marital bliss.

So, yes, so many things for which to be eternally appreciative. Yet, so many poignant reminders of the passage of years and how cruelly dear freinds were deprived of life's seemingly simplest rewards... . Yin and Yang, Sweet and Sour... And so it goes. Ain't biochemistry great?

In our community, anyone who puts up a fence like your neighbor's is required to put the most attractive face of it on the neighbor's side... meaning she'd have to look at the rails herself, Julie!

Shed looks great, Woody.

• chelone
    13 years ago

I meant to share the following observation about nearly 2 decades in the same house: infrastructure shows signs of decline about yr. 16 and by year 19 it begins to fail...

New Samsung 'frig., wth bottom freezer drawer and centre closing doors arrived about 2wks. ago. Love it! most of all like the flat, white surface that matches Bruce and doesn't trap the inevitable grime transferred by gardener's fingers... . The old one with the compressor that complained incessantly disappeared along with the box the new one arrived in... .

The new boxspring and mattress arrived 2 1/2 wks. ago. It was made by a local mattress manufacturer and has a "pillow top" on both side of the mattress so it may be "flipped" periodically, thus prolonging its useful life. It replaced a 25 yr. old set and I have no idea why I was so lax in buying it after enjoying its comforts for a couple of weeks. Talk about "pennywise and pound foolish"! Best of all, the old set was summarily loaded into the truck and "taken away".

Next up will be the washing machine... Kenmore toploader will be replaced by a front loader, though I have no idea aobut make and model at this time. Thoughts, suggesions?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am SO very jealous. Being over 40 years in the matrimony business, I actually NEED a new stove. DH is in his 4th week of repairing it...Now at his income level, this is a TOTAL waste of his time, but repairing the electrical works, piece by piece, seems to intrigue him. Le Sigh. Pas moi! The mattress...well it is over 30 years old. These may not be as visually delightful as fresh paint or new slip-covers and bedding, but they would refresh an old lady's soul I think. But then Adolpho sounds like he might as well!

Julie, I wish your neighbor felt the urge to move elsewhere! What a waste of a life to be so miserable, and annoy others too.

Well I've prepared the salad for the guests, weeded the tomato patch, swept a couple of rooms and scrubbed the entry floor. DH went to the dump and also for a haircut. The cats are snoozing and I must go dry my hair and feed lunch to DH.

Later!
    'bug

• chelone
    13 years ago

'bug, just over one year ago I realized that spending 15-30 minutes to "zero in" on an oven temperature of 350 degrees was:
    1.) a waste of my time and energy
    2.) a total waste of fuel.

As soon as the cakes were cooling I was on my way to the "stove store". No "permission" sought... I just went and bought the damn thing! Mr. KnowItAll had plenty to say about my decision, too, lol. I ignored him (a perk of mulitple yrs. of marriage). He maintained his idiot stance until the stove was installed and he actually had to USE it... lol. Within 10-15 minutes he poked his out of the galley and said, "Honey... great call on the range. This thing is great".

I was the one who said it was time for a new 'frig., too. I pointed out that summertime is not the time of year when you want your flagging 'frig. to -hit the bed and have to deal with keeping things adequately cool inside thermally insulated boxes for 2-7 days until the replacement arrives. Apparently, my practical, pragmatic nature has attained more lustre than I'd heretofore considered!

Ditto the review on the double-sided "playground equipment".

Blow him off, 'bug ! order the damn stove... he can play with old one in the barn... while you whip up more soul food that he's able to imagine!!

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Chelone, I have to say I have fridge envy:) I got a new one a couple of years ago, but I have seen commercials for the one with the center drawer. Very cool! I noticed that when you buy everything at the same time, it tends to break at the same time. My fridge usually goes out when we have an event of some sort.

Bug, I have been telling Skip we need a new mattress. Ours has had it, a canyon in the middle. Anyway, our son Sean got memory foam at Sam's club and we put it on our bed as an experiment. Skip told Sean to get a new one, because we were keeping this one. An inexpensive solution. I just love it.

Woody, the shed looks great! Good pick on color.

I have to run, finish folding laundry and figure out something for dinner. I don't think they'll go for popcorn and cheese which would be my choice.

TTYL
    Drema

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Hello all,

Well we had the most wonderful day today. Lots of gardeners through here asking great questions. Many folks wanted to know where in the heck I found so many unusual plants and "how long does it take you to water this?" LOL The absolutely BEST treat of the day was when a lovely couple came and introduced themselves and asked if I was Deanne and it turned out that the lady was cheleinri from RI who recently bumped up the Driveway Garden thread. How very cool is that? Someone from Garden Web came from RI (probably a two hour drive) because she heard on the Idylls we were going to be on a garden tour today! That is about a neat as it gets. I told her she needed to jump in on the Idylls as its a great group of gardeners and friends here.

Sounds like lots going on here and I'd love to comment to one and all but I'm exhausted and about to hit the sack so I can be rested for day two of the garden tour. I'll catch up with everyone later.

Nite all!
    Deanne

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Hello Cheleinri! Jump in...the water's nice :)

Sounds like you had a nice day, Deanne...you certainly deserve the accolades for all that hard work.

I took a very sad picture of the GG paths tonight and thought I'd share, just so you can see the paths. Sorry about the blurriness and the mess on the ground. The picture frame is a Saucy creation that still needs a mirror...doesn't look quite right there but I haven't moved it. Hopefully you get the idea of what's going on here :)

{{gwi:162139}}

I got a Pagoda Dogwood for the "island" in the GG...it is the smallest little tree I've ever seen. Stan at Variegated Foliage said it would grow fast and I can't pass up a Charlie Brown tree.

It's been a long day and I think I should head to bed.

'Night friends.

Saucy

• veronicastrum
    13 years ago

Happy Father's Day to all the idyll dads! My DH forgot it was Father's Day and booked an early flight to New Orleans, so DD and I are chilling for the day. We have a joint toe-twinkling scheduled at 5:00 this afternoon.

We had a whopper of a storm come through here on Friday afternoon. Our power went out about 4:00 pm, and the only status we could get from ComEd was that thousands were out of power, so suck it up and quit whining. Saturday morning after the Farmers Market, we bought four large bags of ice, borrowed a couple of extra coolers and transferred the contents of the fridge. Ten minutes later, the power was back. :) The land line phone went out in the second storm and was down until this morning.

The good news is that the chicken coop and run survived the storms just fine! The weather service was warning of hurricane force winds; at the office we ignored common sense and stood out on the porch to watch the winds roll in. Sure enough, the trees across the road were bent over, just like the news footage of hurricanes. Lots of trees down all over the area, and some corn fields flattened by the wind as well. All in all, we had little to complain about.

After all the rain, I had to choose my gardening activities carefully, but did manage to get some weeding done in some neglected areas in the back. The front gardens took a hit from the wind, so they will be allowed to "bounce back" before I tromp through them.

Also checked on my bees yesterday. DH and DS observed, and I think my son was quite impressed to see his mom calmly handle frames that were crawling with hundreds of bees. The bees seem to be doing well and definitely are reproducing.

Chelone, I say the best cure for the blues is to hop on a plane and get thee to Cal-i-for-ni-ay! Common sense and frugality be damned - come have some fun.

Okay, I know that likely won't happen for a hundred very good reasons. I do hope that things look up for you. And the iPod suggestion is a good one that may be a bit more practical.

Add me to the list of those who think of Mary often and hope that all is well with her.

Work continues to bounce along. Good times, bad times - it's not the worst job but there are things that could be better. I've noticed that I have changed from someone who used to be very chatty at the office to someone who is annoyed by those who chat for too long. Is this another sign of old age? LOL!

Woody, the shed is looking great!

Julie, thanks for the fence photo - now I understand what you're up against, so to speak. So you'll have to smuggle in some round up, eh?

Looking forward to the upcoming IU festivities!

• denisez10
    13 years ago

Those fence wars are truly perplexing, Julie. Seems one of those fences needs to come down. Neighbor, tear down this wall!

I fear buying any new appliances. They all seem to be built like cr*p.

Congrats, Deanne, on making it through the first day of the tour. I can easily understand driving 2 hrs to see your garden.

Tired of hearing about paint yet? I think I hate the light grey-blue on the siding. So bright! I love dark colors. But it's up on two walls and there's another gallon so the color stays. My neighbor, Mr. Gonzalez, has a wonderful dry sense of humor. He says the new paint colors has him thinking he lives next-door to Mexicans!

Marty was going through an old photo card and found these photos of Jen, the fuel dock dog, the one that keeps the birds off the dock. Seems the only thing about early retirement he regrets is not visiting this dog. She loves it when someone turns the hose on her.

{{gwi:162140}}

Gotta get back to work or I'll never make it out of town.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Had a wonderful relaxing summer-type day! Took DH out to lunch after doing some piddly garden jobs. We ate outdoors and it was breezy and wonderful with a delightful young hostess. I had a lovely salad with a Nutella crepe for dessert! Sinful but FUN!
    Later we drove off in a northerly direction, picked up some fresh strawberries and ended up visiting my clematis friend/guru. He handed me 3 clematis as we were leaving, I handed over the strawberries. We were both delighted. On the way back we admired the bright yellow fields and stopped for ice cream. Mine sounded good (peach mango yogurt) but was terrible, and DH's "chocolate mud" was good.
    Phoebe enjoys us being back home again.

Last night at our event we were surprised by the number of people deathly afraid of our pooch. Phoebe had to remain in the back room for hours (which irritates me), but every little while I'd send a grumpy child back there to play with her and she worked her magic to make them happy once more.

Time to rest up for dinner! ;) Hope Deanne's day was perfect. I bet she'll be relieved to collect herself and spend time on art work for a while!

Thank goodness things survived the winds V!!! I think that "bouncing Back" is what your plating style is all about! Glad the chickens did well! I noticed bees out on our flowers during the rain and was surprised by that last week.

Happy to see the GG Saucy! It's true, the Pagoda Diogwood will grow quickly. I already "see" it there. :)

Enjoy your last few hours before Monday appears!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Hi ho Idylls, I hope all are enjoying their Sunday..Im working on maps and menu plans this afternoon, with frequent visits outdoors .A nice day out today , but a bit of hose dragging is on the agenda .
    It looks like the good-weather-fairy is smiling on Idyllunion this year , it will be predictably cool at the coast but pleasant inland .

I do like the way your paths have turned out Saucy ! The Dogwood will set off the island quite nicely too.. Are the goddesses in safekeeping ?

V, I would have stood on the front porch too ! At least it was covered right ? We only get storms like that in winter in these parts . The fence building companies benefit , as do the tree guys.

Appliances ..Chelone , I am not thrilled with my last 2 Kenmore units especially the range- I really regret going the el-cheap-o route on that one. Its perfectly serviceable still at this point so I have no excuse to give it the boot. My fridge was bought when I thought I was moving , so again I went with the economy model assuming I would be leaving it behind. It works fine , but a bit of an upgrade would have been nice. At this point the home improvement budget is depleted for this year, I have a bathroom that is in dire straits , 2 windows that need to be replaced , and the all important RV parking space demolition to prioritize for 2011.

Well Denise , maybe the trim color can help abate your dislike of the house color. Id be seriously bummed if I had to drive up to a house with an unsatisfactory color every day after the awficethats the nice thing about being a gardener right? Its a whole lot easier to get rid of a plant you dont like ..unless its a neighbors tree

Ok, somehow it got to be almost 3:30, so I need to get back to work ..waves to all , and see you soon to my IU VIGGS!

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    13 years ago

The Goddesses are waiting for a path...they hang out down in the basement when they're not in the garden...not sure what sort of Goddess-y things they do down there :)

Nick is bugging me to get the materials...and I've found my supplier! Maybe I'll call tomorrow...or not...things are busy here.

I don't like that Phoebles had to stay away from the fun, but glad she had some visitors. Funny to send the kids in to check on the frightful beast :)

Good to know the chooks and bees are well, V.!

Chelone, I think V. has the right idea with a trip to Cali, but I know it's not in the cards. Perhaps planning something fun locally would be fun? The NE Idylls could surely make you smile?

I guess I'd better turn in...lots on the plate this week. Work will involve lots of watering...

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, Chelone could visit Ontario and learn to love weeding here! She could bring Wrecks to meet Phoebe!

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Just a quick pop in as I'm fairly exhausted. I picked up Kenzie Friday night. We picked up my Mom and Dad and ate dinner on the patio of a restuarant on the lake. Saturday was busy with her and also trying to line things up for our Father's Day barbeque that was held today. Last night we took Kenzie back and grilled at my parents place at the lake. A campfire followed.

Kenzie was thrilled by both of the swings that Rick hung for her. She spent quite a bit of time swinging.

She leaves on Tuesday to go to Florida for awhile.

Today was a lovely day for the barbeque and the swings were a hit with the kids and even a few adults.

I offered to help with our church's vacation Bible School which is Mon - Fri this week from 4-7. Hopefully, there's a little garden time left when I get home.

Kenzie is very interested in the flower names. I saw she was standing next to one of my garden gates. She asked "Gramma what's the name of this clematis" I think she is definately a Idyll in the making.

Saucy, I showed her your turtle and she loved it. We have seen a large snapper in our pond and she has named it Jack.

Deanne, it sounds like you had a fabulous day. What fun to have some Garden Webbers there.

Chelone, it sounds like you are really sprucing things up. We purchased a new matteress about a year ago. The fridge is as old as we are married as we came home from our honeymoon to find the previous one had died. Sorry to hear that you are feeling so blue. I'm sure it could be hormonal as others have mentioned. I've not gotten too far into that process but have dipped my toes so to speak.

Kathy, how exciting that IU is so near. It sounds like a fun one.

I think that's it for me. I'm starting to get starry eyed.

Michelle

• cheleinri
    13 years ago

Hi all-

I just wanted to say it was absolutely worth the drive to see Deanne's garden this weekend. It's hard to overstate how much fun it was to be there. Sort of like Disneyland for a gardener. Deanne, you've posted scores of beautiful pictures through the years but it was even better to see it all in person- all the many details and nooks and crannies, and just the overall feel of it. It's a bonus that you and Doug are so very nice. We really enjoyed meeting you.

Chele

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Now that I have drooled over your pics, laughed, and felt the need to send hugs (I'm betting it is hormones, Chelone, but that doesn't make it any easier), I am feeling somewhat caught up. I should be putting back all the "stuff" that I moved out of Charles' closets-the dining room is FULL), but can't quite get psyched for it. I spent the weekend at Father Martin's Ashley in their Family Wellness Weekend program. It is an incredible place if someone needs it and we sure did. Lots of work, long days, but very helpful. DH is looking better than he has in years and we actually talked for a change! I'd forgotten what conversation with him is like-very nice! I go up there on Wednesday to pick him up. I hope he is able to maintain his recovery once he comes home. We are trying to convince him to just use his sick/annual leave since he was planning to retire in December anyway. We'll see. I sort of (change that to very much) would like to stay there myself for 28 days! What a place-right on the Chesapeake Bay. Nothing restores one's soul like water. So, Chelone, maybe we could both work out a garden-for-room-and-board deal with them...they could use some help in that department and we could both use the break. You can be the boss and I'll follow directions-ha. Wrecks and Clouseau could romp. Annabelle...not so much-sleep, chase (and sometimes catch) any critter she spots, eat.

Appliances-hmmm. Hoping mine last a bit longer. I have a Bosch front loader and dryer. Years ago, DH was fixing the dryer vent to the outside and after that, it vented into the kitchen cabinets-color me not pleased-except in the winter when I would open the cabinet doors and heat the place-heehee. So, now I always have to get a condenser dryer (unless I want to spend beaucoup bucks having someone redo the vent from the basement) which has meant European in the past. I do like these, though-much better than the Asko I had before the Bosch. I think the US is catching up with front-loaders now and you will be amazed at how little water they use (mine at least), Very cool. Don't need near as much soap either. Who woulda thunk as a young person that new appliances and mattresses would be so much fun to get?!

I hope all the reunion attendees have an absolutely marvelous time. I have no doubt you will. I will be there in spirit. Which reminds me-no more cooking with booze-the alcohol doesn't all really cook off-aaarrrggghhh. Somehow, grape or apple juice as substitutes does not sound quite as delish. Oh well.

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Hi there Chele! how fabulous for you to drop in on the Idylls! it was so TERRIFIC to meet you and your DH. It really made my weekend that you took the time to drive up and visit.

Michelle, Kenzie asked what clematis it was????? Incredible and wonderful! Definitely a gardener in the making. You must have just loved that!

Cyn more hugs going out to you and family. It's a long road to recovery and a challenge for everyone. HOping for everything positive for you.

Saucy, looks like you are making great progress on the GG! I miss seeing them there though. Cant wait to see it all put together.

Denise, Love that pic of Jen the dock dog! what a hoot! Bummer you are not happy with the house color but what a riot about Mr Gonzalez. Too funny

V. Glad you are ok after those terrible storms.

Julie, what a dilemma about the fence situation. You could always attach a reed fence to the chain link on your side so you don't have to look at the DMZ.

It looks like I'm missing a couple fish but can't tell for sure. The Great Blue Heron was back here this morning and Doug saw it yesterday as well. I'm going to have to get some fishing line and put up a barrier to keep the dratted bird away from my fish.

OK waving hello to one and all, I must get off this computer and get down the the studio!

Deanne

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not feeling tip top today so I'll offer up some photos instead of my deadly prose.
    The yellow & Blue Garden
    {{gwi:162141}}

Felicia
    {{gwi:162142}}

Astrid Lindgren
    {{gwi:162143}}

Phlomis
    {{gwi:162145}}

Persicaria with Ninebark
    {{gwi:162146}}

Fernleaf Buckthorn
    {{gwi:162147}}

Corydalis elata with hosta
    {{gwi:162148}}

Astrantia with grasses
    {{gwi:162149}}

Clematis Tentel
    {{gwi:162150}}

I didn't succeed in avoiding clematis entirely...;)
    'bug

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz