Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

June 17th at the farm-mostly clematis

gardenbug
14 years ago

I was up early and decided to try for pictures before the sun came up. As it turned out, I need not have been concerned. It is cloudy, humid and cool. We expect thunderstorms and rain to follow for several days. I guess that's because the delphiniums are not tied up yet and are reaching for the sky and the lilies are full of buds.

So this is what's happening here.

This is the area I finished weeding yesterday. Not enough mulch yet for it though.

{{gwi:162172}}

And this is the clematis arbor so far. The group 3 types grow here, so the bloom comes later on.

{{gwi:162173}}

These are clematis blooming today in other areas:

Dawn:

{{gwi:162174}}
Fascination:

{{gwi:162175}}
Freemontii: (which is tiny, about the size of a fat blueberry!)

{{gwi:162177}}
Gazelle: (I love all things white!)

{{gwi:162179}}
An integrifolia seedling, a non climber and a gift.

{{gwi:162181}}
A different Integrifolia seedling:

{{gwi:162183}}
Omoshiro still going strong:

{{gwi:162185}}
Pretty in Blue, another small flowered clematis:

{{gwi:162187}}
This is an early large flowered type, Proteus: (The early blooms are double. Later ones will be single.)

{{gwi:162188}}
Clematis Recta always requires a decision, to stake or not to stake. I decided not to.

{{gwi:162189}}

Comments (11)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

I think that veggie patch and it's fence, arbour ant path are my favorite things at your place! I'm impatiently waiting for those clematises to bloom... it looks like they are nice and big now and will be putting on a great show this year.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Gorgeous Bug! I just love that 'Omoshiro'. What a beauty. I think I need to find room for it. Also love C. recta. What a beauty. I have 'Proteus' but never get any double blooms on it.

Deanne

• denisez10
    14 years ago

That is a serious amount of edging, weeding, and mulching and must be immensely satisfying when done. The clematis are all swoon-worthy, but I'm especially intrigued by the 'Pretty in Blue' which would be perfect supported by and weaving into some fine-textured chartreusy shrubs. And will my C recta ever bloom like that, or at all? Yours looks beautiful unstaked and foaming. Looking forward to the group 3 photos...

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Another beautiful thread...thanks for all the lovelyness....

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I know those can't be tomatoes to the left in the first photo, what do you have staked there? I am in love with Gazelle! What a beauty! Are you eating a lot out of the veggie garden?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not doing well with vegetables this year. Partly the weather. We did have loads of asparagus, but after discovering my food sensitivity to it, gave much of it to friends. I have an overabundance of rhubarb, but DH doesn't like it! The zucchini, tomatoes and eggplants are at a standstill.

To the left, you see staked delphiniums!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Ahhh...so that's what those were, Delphiniums. I lost most of mine over the winter but there are two left that have been blooming for awhile. I have a similar situation with our veggie garden. Our pea pods are just coming in and I can't eat any raw food right now so all things vegetable are up for grabs. DS will usually use up any produce coming out of the garden. DH & I look forward to tomatoes and I hope I will be eating those this year. I had rhubarb and no one ate it either. I still enjoy growing a veggie garden as long as someone eats it.

• yeonasky
    14 years ago

Thanks for the beauties, as usual.

Yeona

• chelone
    14 years ago

Yeona! nice surprise and I hope you're well these days.

And I personally really like Dawn. And C. recta.

I know what you mean about vegetables. Helpmeet has grave concerns about eggplant which is tricky for him anyway but really needs sun and some warmth to kick into high gear and get growing.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeona! Do stop by on Idylls. Jump in with an update!

As to my update, Omoshiro collapsed in our heat but most likely due to over achieving. She tried to bloom over 30 blooms, and given that she's only a scant 2 feet tall, that did her in for this year.

I need to post an update on the arbor.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Yes, do give us an update Yeona... and and arbour update from you gb... :-) Maybe Omoshiro is trying to go the way of Vyvyan Pennell? I'll bet it looked great with 30 blooms - any pictures of it at maximum bloom...?

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living