Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

June 17th at the farm- Walating

gardenbug
14 years ago

Put on your walking shoes and grab a cup of something warm. It's chilly out there today!

Red aquilegia were a gift and I'm happy they have survived!

{{gwi:150629}}

Allium Bulgaricum are subtle things, but closeup, I am very fond of them.

{{gwi:162224}}

Deutzia is starting to bloom. I don't know the variety, but it is very small although I've had it for years.

{{gwi:162225}}

My new variegated echinops is gradually developing its blue flowers.

{{gwi:162226}}

The front garden is filled with lupines, clematis recta, columbine and berberis. The allium are passé.

{{gwi:162227}}

In the flats it is dark but these goat's beard blooms brighten things up.

{{gwi:162228}}

This is my persicaria polymorpha with Sanguisorba in front of it:

{{gwi:162229}}

Lots of iris are blooming. This one is called Pink Haze.

{{gwi:162231}}
By the pond these yellow ones grow wild:

{{gwi:162233}}

In an island bed, Silverado, a really gorgeous one!

{{gwi:162235}}

There are white Siberian iris too:

{{gwi:162236}}

{{gwi:162237}}

A late Prestonian Lilac has only a few blooms this year. :(

{{gwi:162238}}

But the peonies are doing well, at least before the rain comes!

{{gwi:162239}}

There are only a few rugosa roses by the bridge. I think they have some disease. I may remove them altogether and plant more clematis there. ;)

By the bridge, Thalictrum in the island garden.

Things white. (I can't resist them.)

Baptisia soon to bloom:

Martagon Lilies:

And finally, the yellow and blue garden with some yellow lupines and blue baptisia.

{{gwi:147273}}

Comments (7)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Everything looks fabulous as usual! And my shopping list is longer now... :-) I need an eviction list too because I don't have room... I have tried martagon lilies several times and they have never grown at all - what's the secret?

• deanneart
    14 years ago

How fabulous! Everything looks so lush and beautiful. I've wanted to try those Martagon lilies for a while and your photo has convinced me that I need to find room for them. Thanks for taking us on a tour!
    Deanne

• denisez10
    14 years ago

There's the A. bulgaricum that's going on my fall bulb-buying list! What a nice, thick clump. Thalictrum, sanguisorba, baptisia, all of it, such beautiful plants and grown so well. The pale yellow lupin is stunning in the blue garden. And what a fantastic stand of martagon lilies. I've tried them too, Woody. I've read they should like my alkaline soil but probably want more chill than I've got. The fahm looks fantastic!

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

It is all lovely. So many beautiful plants that I would love to have....
    I am thinking my lovely pale lavender Iris may be Silverado. I am going to call it that. :-)

You must have a lot of crosses among your many Columbines. They are easily cross pollinated.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Gorgeous as always, 'bug. You must take a lot of joy out of these wonderful views. I envy you your space to be able to make "blue and yellow gardens" but of course there's the continual maintenance and upkeep to go w/ that space, LOL.... You really make me love yellow, which is not normally my fav color. I love that new eryngium - glorious!!

Thanks for letting us see thru your creative eye.

-cindy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Wow. That is one beautiful aquilegia in photo #1. I have not seen one like it anywhere. And I would never guess that photo #2 were allium. I really do like that plant too. I have a Deutzia Nikko and I am not enjoying it. It is too short which would be okay in the right spot, but the grass and weeds come up under it and it is a job keeping it clean. Those are some large blooms on yours, which variety is it? Your persicaria is so white. I like it very much. Silverado is on my list and I have never seen a pure pale yellow lupine before. Everything seems to be in great shape this year at your house too, Marie.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

I had to laugh the day I first looked at this and your comment about something warm. It was 93 here at the time. I love your yellow lupines - I like soft yellows. The variegated echinops really caught my eye as well. As usual everything is gorgeous and with such well planned combinations.

Michelle

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors