Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

June 17th at the farm- Walating

gardenbug
14 years ago

Put on your walking shoes and grab a cup of something warm. It's chilly out there today!

Red aquilegia were a gift and I'm happy they have survived!

{{gwi:150629}}

Allium Bulgaricum are subtle things, but closeup, I am very fond of them.

{{gwi:162224}}

Deutzia is starting to bloom. I don't know the variety, but it is very small although I've had it for years.

{{gwi:162225}}

My new variegated echinops is gradually developing its blue flowers.

{{gwi:162226}}

The front garden is filled with lupines, clematis recta, columbine and berberis. The allium are passé.

{{gwi:162227}}

In the flats it is dark but these goat's beard blooms brighten things up.

{{gwi:162228}}

This is my persicaria polymorpha with Sanguisorba in front of it:

{{gwi:162229}}

Lots of iris are blooming. This one is called Pink Haze.

{{gwi:162231}}
By the pond these yellow ones grow wild:

{{gwi:162233}}

In an island bed, Silverado, a really gorgeous one!

{{gwi:162235}}

There are white Siberian iris too:

{{gwi:162236}}

{{gwi:162237}}

A late Prestonian Lilac has only a few blooms this year. :(

{{gwi:162238}}

But the peonies are doing well, at least before the rain comes!

{{gwi:162239}}

There are only a few rugosa roses by the bridge. I think they have some disease. I may remove them altogether and plant more clematis there. ;)

By the bridge, Thalictrum in the island garden.

Things white. (I can't resist them.)

Baptisia soon to bloom:

Martagon Lilies:

And finally, the yellow and blue garden with some yellow lupines and blue baptisia.

{{gwi:147273}}

Comments (7)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Everything looks fabulous as usual! And my shopping list is longer now... :-) I need an eviction list too because I don't have room... I have tried martagon lilies several times and they have never grown at all - what's the secret?

• deanneart
    14 years ago

How fabulous! Everything looks so lush and beautiful. I've wanted to try those Martagon lilies for a while and your photo has convinced me that I need to find room for them. Thanks for taking us on a tour!
    Deanne

• denisez10
    14 years ago

There's the A. bulgaricum that's going on my fall bulb-buying list! What a nice, thick clump. Thalictrum, sanguisorba, baptisia, all of it, such beautiful plants and grown so well. The pale yellow lupin is stunning in the blue garden. And what a fantastic stand of martagon lilies. I've tried them too, Woody. I've read they should like my alkaline soil but probably want more chill than I've got. The fahm looks fantastic!

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

It is all lovely. So many beautiful plants that I would love to have....
    I am thinking my lovely pale lavender Iris may be Silverado. I am going to call it that. :-)

You must have a lot of crosses among your many Columbines. They are easily cross pollinated.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Gorgeous as always, 'bug. You must take a lot of joy out of these wonderful views. I envy you your space to be able to make "blue and yellow gardens" but of course there's the continual maintenance and upkeep to go w/ that space, LOL.... You really make me love yellow, which is not normally my fav color. I love that new eryngium - glorious!!

Thanks for letting us see thru your creative eye.

-cindy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Wow. That is one beautiful aquilegia in photo #1. I have not seen one like it anywhere. And I would never guess that photo #2 were allium. I really do like that plant too. I have a Deutzia Nikko and I am not enjoying it. It is too short which would be okay in the right spot, but the grass and weeds come up under it and it is a job keeping it clean. Those are some large blooms on yours, which variety is it? Your persicaria is so white. I like it very much. Silverado is on my list and I have never seen a pure pale yellow lupine before. Everything seems to be in great shape this year at your house too, Marie.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

I had to laugh the day I first looked at this and your comment about something warm. It was 93 here at the time. I love your yellow lupines - I like soft yellows. The variegated echinops really caught my eye as well. As usual everything is gorgeous and with such well planned combinations.

Michelle

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths