Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

A Visit to the Herb Farm

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

Near the entrance was this very cool old wheelbarrow planted with succulents
{{gwi:162258}}From Garden 2009
{{gwi:162259}}From Garden 2009

There are several little display gardens, not in pristine condition but a great opportunity to see the full size of many of the plants they sell
{{gwi:162261}}From Garden 2009
{{gwi:162263}}From Garden 2009

They had many many varities of Buddleia on the property, most in full bloom right now.
{{gwi:162264}}From Garden 2009

And I could not resist this shot !
{{gwi:162265}}From Garden 2009

The sign was posted on one of the 2 mature bay trees that framed the entrance to this small secret garden- I saw no goddesses inside, but I imagine the plant choices were relective of the theme.This is a pic inside that garden
{{gwi:162266}}From Garden 2009

And finally, a red wagon herb planter
{{gwi:162267}}From Garden 2009

Thanks for coming along !

Kathy in Napa

Comments (14)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Butterfly bushes are in bloom there now?! They're late summer bloomers here... What is the white thing in the goddes garden - a rose?

It looks like a fun place to visit.

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Kathy, I love the blooms on the succulents. Mine have never gotten any blooms here. I also really like the idea for the wagon... I was just looking at Devin's old wagon a couple of days ago and thought I should do something with it. Thanks for sharing!

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

I like the wagon planting, but Tim's is too good to use it that way.
    What is the second pic with the pink feathery blooms? I really like it.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

LOL the Goddess Garden sign Kathy. I'm happy to hear Saucy say she is GG mode again.

The succulent wheelbarrow has inspired me to try that with mine.

Thanks for the walat. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woody, that is an Oleander, a somewhat ubiquitous plant here, especially in central and southern Calif, and the desert.

Marian,that plant is Ptilotus exaltatus 'Joey'. It is an Austrailian native. I was very close to buying one, but couldn't figure out where I would put it -not that that has ever stopped me before !

Drema , we expect pics of your wagon garden !

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I liked the visit to the Herb Farm, Kathy. I wonder if there was a lot of fragrance? Wasn't that a surprise to see the Goddess Garden sign, lol. I've never seen a huge Bay tree like that, wow! They are very pretty. I love that white bark. I saw that striped succulent at a local garden center awhile back. I almost came home with it. That fourth photo with the BBush and B&B Salvia is pretty with that bright green foliage between. Do you know what that plant is? That was fun. Where are you going next? :-)

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I told my husband as he's walking around behind me, "see, someone else has a goddess garden!" Thanks Kathy!

This place reminds me of my neighbor's place! You can see why I'm always over there.....

I just love virtual garden tours.....thank you for taking us along.

Lisa.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

How fabulous Kathy! I just love all of it. The wagon is wonderful as is that little succulent wheelbarrow. I need to think about planting my hypertufa we made with Saucy. Your pics are inspiring me. Thanks so much for taking the time to take and post these photos.

Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone- PM, the green plants as I recall was a patch of Tagetes type Marigolds (Tagetes lemonii I think ?)

Next stop this week is Berkely Botanical Gardens and Annies Annuals.

Camera will be along for both !

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I love to see the detailed scenes you've shared! California plants just have a warm feel to them! Here Buddleia struggles. I think I've lost mine this year, which really makes me sad. And to think it is a weed in England too...

A friend has shared Annie's Annuals photos with me in the distant past so I'm looking forward to those photos of your's soon!

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Terrific shots of the place, Kathy -- so neat to see what orginal things do in year-round gardens -- those bay laurels -- o my... And I just love the succulent plantings, as you knew we all would.

Cant wait for the next tour, LOL.... all aboard!

-cindy

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

What an interesting tour. I love all the succulents. The one on the right in the 2nd picture really caught my eye. You asked about the succulent sink and yes it is just recently planted. Thanks for the pictures.

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

What a nice field trip Kathy! I have two herb farms here that I try to make it to at least once per season. I always seem to find something each visit that I have to have. I love the succulent wheelbarrow and will a lookout for an old one now. They seem very like minded with the Idylls having a GG like Saucy's and I had to do a doubletake when I saw the wagon. Mine is very similar...

{{gwi:162268}}

Thanks for taking us along!

Eden

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Eden does your wagon have drainage holes? It surely does. My old garden cart was too well drained,lol, and I had to put reinforcements in the bottom . The cart I am still using is almost as bad....but they do not make that kind anymore. :-(

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area