Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Idyll #444 Knee Deep In June...

A pearl of a month... :-)

Comments (101)

• jak1
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good Morning all! Wet, cloudy, warm and muggy today - the kind of weather that makes you realize that you have dogs and cats when you walk in the door - cleaning time again *LOL

Thanks guys for all the commiseration about the neighbour. Between that, the cost of the fence, and the lousy weather, I was pretty bummed out. And of course, that leads to no sleep last night, which makes things look bleaker. But I think I am getting past it. I love Chelone's mantra "Refuse to live in fear" -

Yup, Marian,. that cart of colour is surely The Good Stuff! Sorry to hear about your loss of a nice friend....

Mosquitos: do you keep them chained up behind the house *LOL* We have a zapper thing on the wine deck which seems to work for a small area. I try to not have much standing water, clean up the birdbaths often etc. but I guess the frogs gotta eat something!

Deanne - what a lovely container. I surely have a lot to learn about container gardening!

Laughed about the vehicle instrusions in the photos - I almost always have a car or truck somewhere in my photos. At least yours are clean!

The babies are dolls!

Anita - I love those "random" shots - and I LOVE your FENCE *LOL*

Anxiously awaiting wedding news/photos.

This afternoon I am womanning the book fair at TCS's school, so I had better boogie and dig out the crud in this house - just on the off chance that tomorrow will be nicer!

Cheers all

Julie

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Rainy day on tap here, but it's a work day so let it rain the whole day! I have a colonoscopy scheduled for this Monday, no issues, just part of the after 50 tune up. So my week-end, which is Sun. & Mon. will involve other things and not much gardening. The caterpillars, whether Eastern Tent, Forest Tent, or Gypsy Moth (which the county is spraying for) are out in force. I found two on me yesterday...in the house...and went into panic mode looking for any pupating ones. They are liking the south side of the house and eaves looking for a warm place to pupate, I guess.

saucy...Neat about the upcoming bee presentation. Sarah will be so proud of her mom, how cool. Hope the play goes well. She will love the home grown flowers, they have a much better scent than the florist ones.

julie...I'm on a corner, and the fence is only on two sides, so don't envy me yet. I wish it was fully enclosed, though, to keep the deer out, because I do like all my neighbors. In fact, two doors down is my DH's brother and a few more houses down from him is my daughter. We have largish lots, so privacy can be had and neighbors aren't pests at all, but being on a corner with stop signs does make me feel I'm on stage sometimes. Hope your day goes well, and have fun at the book fair.

PM...I think bug numbers do go up and down in cycles. The caterpillars I'm seeing now have never been this numerous. And look at the 17 year cicadas, for instance. We had that last year-or was it the year before? Time is going by way too fast.:( And for the first time ever, starting last spring, I have four lined plant bugs. So now I have to vigilant in doing a fall garden cleanup since they lay their eggs in plant stems. I did this last fall, and have been rewarded with slightly less this year. But you get rid of one bug, to be replaced by something else. At least the aphids are easy to get rid of with a blast from the hose.

I second PM's list of photos and updates that we are all eagerly anticipating.

Eden...I'd like to know more about your conservatory. What do you use it for and where is it located? Attached to the house? Is it like a sunroom? Looking forward to seeing it.

bug....Ivy looks precious in that photo. I agree with chelone, what's not to smile about when someone is cheering on your bodily functions. LOL. Babies and young kids have all that energy and great dispositions because they live in the moment. No cares beyond the immediate, and it helps that someone lives to take care of their every desire. There's a lesson in there....

v...three more days. Are you stocked in tissues?

Seems strange that kids are still in school, my DGS has been out May 26th.

Have a great day all,
    Anita

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

A few quick notes during my break.

Saucy, I didn't get any germination either on the cardoons and now have a large blank spot in the front of the potager. I may try direct sowing.

One good thing about farm living is that you have neighbors but for the most part they can't annoy you too much since they are at least 1/4 mile away.

When I cut back the sedum 'Matrona' one year it got such puny blooms. Did I do it too late? I usually divide as they only seem to flop when they get too big. Or I cage them like the peonies. What I have found that works well it this 14" tall green decorative wire fencing that comes in a roll. You know the stuff with the scalloped top. It works great for caging since its green it really becomes invisible. I have lenghts cut and you can just over lap if its too long and use the cut ends of the wire to hold them together.

We all should try to smile like Ivy today.

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Beautiful day so far! We're scheduled for rain later and we could use it so I'm not complaining. We've had a bit but not enough to really soak in and make the plants happy.

Anita, thanks for sharing you garden with us. It's beautiful. I love the weigelia, just wish I had room for more shrubs. Many houses around me are rental properties, both my neighbors included. So yes they are still mowed by the landlords. The conservatory is just a little building, approx. 4'x5' that Brad built for me out of recyled old windows we ran across while out on a drive one day last summer. Really just a garden decoration.

Julie, when you live as close to your neighbors as I do fences always make for better neighbors. Hope you get some good gardening weather soon!

V, just think, once the wedding's over, your house will be so clean you won't have to worry about it again for quite a while which translates into more garden time. Can't believe it's only a couple of days now. Time flies...

Michelle, I've been collecting the mini hostas for a few years now. Some are along the path under my lilacs and some are in my laundry tub miniature gardens. I've decided to turn the clawfoot tub into another mini garden area. The bog was great last summer but didn't overwinter well. I'm thinking a bog really needs to be in the ground. So on to tinier but better things. The recently purchased mini hostas will be a part of that project. I also found a really cute mini arbor to add. We could sure use a recent picture of Kenzie. Maybe you can get dd to send something you can post for us? It's been way to long :(

The smiling Ivy picture made me smile too! And I do believe it would be great if we'd all take her example and smile more :)

PM, I've been seeing a few aphids around here too. I cut back my sedums because if I don't the splay out and flop. Not an attractive look. With the asters I fool around with pinching them until about the end of June, keeping them around 8-10 " until then. Now that I'm thinking about it I'm wondering how the rest of you handle your asters?

Chelone, I wasn't refering to the condition of your place, just the general stuff people do before company comes. Glad you're not stressing about it :) As for living in fear, that's laughable considering where I live. If I lived in fear I'd never leave my house. I could tell you stories of the goings on in my neighbor that would curl your hair. It's survival of the fittest here in the city and one must stand their ground or the underbelly of society would quickly take over. I compare myself to Clint Eastwood in Grand Torino. "Get off my lawn", lol. I read an interview with Lenore Skenazy. No mention of the subway ride which I stand by as being a kooky idea. She didn't say anything in this interview that I haven't done with my kids. It's all just common sense really. My take on her is she's promoting her book ($$$).

Time to cross a few more garden chores off the list. Jen and Meg took Bella and Kate to the zoo today but Bella will be over later to help me in the garden. Have a great day everyone.

Eden

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Just sharing a pic of my Toyota Top Garden:

{{gwi:162337}}

I need to thin the cucumber plants. :-)

We had a downpour during the night, and the rain gutter leaked vigorously from a joint on to my poor little Lilliput Zinnias, washing 3 of the 4 out of the potting soil. In attempting to repot them, I broke the stem of one. I have taped it back to an upright postion. Time will tell if it will heal. It frequently works. :-)

Marian

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

A few here for those not familiar with them.

Baptisia Carolina Moonlight
    {{gwi:162338}}

{{gwi:148273}}

Persicaria polymorpha in front of Ninebark Diablo.
    {{gwi:162339}}

With Aquilgia Canadensis.
    {{gwi:162340}}

I'll post others on another thread after I grab some lunch.

'bug

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Marian, I do believe you've outfoxed the rodents! The TT Garden is looking good. Bummer about your zinnias. Chalk it up to the trials and tribulations of gardening I guess. We all experience them now and again.

Marie, I just quickly looked at your new June threads. Your gardens are really outdoing themselves this year.

Hope Kathy is enjoying her staycation field trips today. Can't wait to see what she shares with us!

My exciting news for today is... I'm now in the process of decorating the little conservatory so I figured I'd swing by Homegoods and Tuesday Morning and see if they had anything that I could use. I found a couple of small things but the real prize I found on my way home. I was driving along and low and behold sitting at the curb was a white wicker chair. Just enough wear on one arm to make it look a bit shabby, which I love, but very sturdy and in good shape otherwise. I turned the car around, pulled in the driveway and proceeded to stuff it in my back seat, not an easy task, but I was on a mission. It's now sitting in the conservatory and it will seat a nice large container garden. Makes my day when I can find something great for no money!

Eden

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Great Score Eden.

Anita your garden is lovely. So nice to see it.

I was going to talk to all of you, but yet another storm is coming , so I'm outa here for now.

N

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Ive returned from my journey to the East Bay I took a couple hundred pics so I need to sort them out and post on separate threads. Its a good thing Im digging out more lawn- I bought 19 plants at Annies you guys would have loved it, she has so much oddball stuff it is truly hard not to buy everything in sight and her display gardens ! Talk about colorthere is no restraint shown there for sure. Heres a pic of the store front.
    {{gwi:162341}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

I took a few pics there that were crooked- I think I was in a shopping frenzy ! The place is very large too- I was there for well over an hour and half. I can only imagine the madness that would have ensued had I drove up with a busload of Idylls-
    Also enjoyed my visit to Berkeley , a totally different type of experience, very educational and interesting. The garden is divided into geographic areas , and since it is a research institution it is not what you might describe as a manicured or pristine garden. I know I missed a couple sections this time, but its only 7 bucks to get in and under an hour drive (if timed right) so I can easily go back in a few months if I wish.

Anita, great to see some photos from your garden- I sure miss my Thalictrum, but I have way less shade now and it would not care for it here at all. Yes, that is an Orchid Cactus and had I moved it inside this winter I would probably have more that one lonely flower. My yellow one is probably not going to bloom at all this year. They are extremely marginal in my zone.

Marian great shot of the Corolla Garden ! Everything looks pretty happy so far I think youre on to something .

Eden great score on the chair I really need to go to some garage sales once in a while to look for garden items.

OK, going to work on some dinner , watch some baseball and sort through photos

Kathy in Napa

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

I'm too tired to do anything but look at pictures at the moment - nice pictures....

We (Randy, Laurie, me, Misty and Blue) spent the day at my friend Naznin's trying to rescue a bit of her garden from weeds and grass. (This is their second summer in the house and their first garden. Last year I tried to help her learn how to maintain the garden that was there but it got ahead of her badly - very agressive grass.) At the end of the day today we concluded that much of it will likely have to be put back to lawn and just keep a couple of smaller areas near the house in flowers. My friend has macular degeneration so that complicates matters as it is hard for her to see problems - weeds - when they are small enough to remove easily.

It was hot, hard work and I'm off to bed - should sleep well tonight!

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Its stayed in the 60s this week and overcast and weve had 1.5" of much needed rain. The cool temps have made a perfect time to get all the seedlings planted out.

Weve been eating good these days from the vegetable garden. Asparagus, radishes, green onions, spinach and lettuce.

Kathy, Annies looks like a very colorful place.

Eden, great find on the chair. I love freebies.

Anita, lovely shots of your garden. Is the bench vintage? I like it.

Julie, wow what a stand of lupines. Mine are always one here and one there. The statute is so unique.

Now over to check out the picture threads.

Michelle

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Im calling in tomorrow for a home stay to look at photos and threads - do you think they'll like that excuse? LOL - just kidding -- but wow, it will take a day to catch up on all here -- the idyll gardens and visits are busting out all over!!

Deanne -- congrats on the FG Garden container - Fire! Yes, I too wonder why photogapher gets credit, but not the creator - very weird... but it's still definitely a Deanne creation.

Sounds like everyone is working very hard and diligently in their gardens - Im a slacker - it's horribly t-stormer every evening and the mosquitos are out in droves if it's not raining -- I may need to buy a suit of armor to work outside. The bites I've suffered are huge this year for some reason; and even the ticks have found me... I've never had such a problem before. Well, guess I'll be working Saturday instead of going to Open Days - there's just too much I need to do.

I can't wait to see photos of the purple conversatory, Eden.

Anita, your garden looks lovely and cool. I cant grow a Lupine if my life depended on it.

Is it Friday yet?

--cindy

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Good morning all,

It looks as if Michelle sent her weather this way. Weve had three days of heavy overcast, rain, drizzle and unseasonably cool temps for this time of the year. Ive got to spend the day in the studio working on a new painting for class the end of the month so dont mind it so much. The roses are loving their extended blossom time due to the cooler temps and overcast. And I am too! The fuchsias are also very happy with this weather and if the fuchsias are happy Deanne is happy.

This is one I couldnt resist buying at Walker Farm in VT a few weeks ago and it is a star at the moment
    {{gwi:162342}}

I keep telling the banana and brugmansias that their turn will come. LOL Speaking of bananas. The Red Abyssinian Banana Sue gave me three summers ago is going to be spectacular this year. The leaves are already more than two feet across and it is only June.

{{gwi:162343}}

The white brugmansia is smothered in buds and is just waiting for some warmer temps to put on a show. Im guessing it will be beautiful the beginning of July. I did a walkabout with the camera yesterday morning and will put a link to the gallery below.

Anita, your gardens are lush and lovely! I quite like that bench. How much time do you get t o sit and enjoy the view? I have W. Wine and Roses too and really love that shrub. It always looks good. Im thinking of planting another in my side garden where I have a peony that just doesnt get enough sun to do well.

Julie, Oh dear with the chain link fence. I have one and Ive spent my gardening life trying to cover it up. Doug likes it and cant figure why I want to disguise it. As permanent fencing you cant beat it though. Ours has been here since 1980 and is still as good as the day it was installed.

Bug, that smiling pic of Ivy is way too cute! What a sweetie! ~~ RE sedums, I pinch mine back except for a Purple Emperor and a Matrona in the driveway garden where I want them to get as tall as they can. I do use those stakes with the arms to keep them upright. ~~ Great pics! I love Persicaria polymorpha too! Its such a performer.

Michelle, I cant believe the bargains you get on plants. Are we going to get to see photos of your containers???? ~~ I cant believe you lost your Diablo! And no clue as to why? I thought they were as tough as old boot nails. ~~ great idea about using that green mesh fencing to coral the Matrona.

PM I do assure you that I have messy areas that need attention. I just dont take pictures of them LOL. ~~ Yes I prune back the sedums like I do asters and mums. It keeps them in a shorter nicer form that doesnt require staking.

Saucy, how was the play?

Eden, I keep pinching my asters to about eight or ten inches until the end of June. They bloom later but they stay shorter and bloom profusely. ~~ what a score on the chair. Cant wait to see it and the purple conservatory.

Love the tomato garden Marian.

Kathy, sounds like you had a great day.

Cindy, cant believe you are still getting even more rain! Those mosquitoes will be carrying you off at this rate.

OK waving hello to one and all. Have a great day all,

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

No rain yesterday and none forecast for today but it looks like it could. If not,I'm going to have to drag hoses later. I went plant shopping for the conservatory yesterday. I went with old fashioned plants, a boston fern, geraniums, petunias, allysum, ivy, lavender, a canna tropicana, a kong coleus...I want it to be blowsy. I also got a cute little garden gnome to live there and I found a house for my new miniature garden in the tub. So lots of projects to work on today. First we have "Family Breakfast" though. Something we've been doing since back in March when Jen went on maternity leave. Brad, me, Randy's mom and grandpa, Jen and Kate are the regulars every week with other family members shuffling in and out week to week. Sometimes David, or my sisters and neices or Randy or his dad if they can get away from work. We meet at the same restaurant every Thursday at 10am and it's been a nice way for us to get to know Randy's family better and gives us a little extra Kate time every week.

Cindy, I can't believe the rain you're having. I'm hoping for sunny skies for you soon! That would get me down I think. Bella's allergic to mosquitoes. Megan too but Bella's worse. When she gets a bite it gets big as an quarter, then developes a blister. We really try to keep her inside when the mosquitoes are out as much as we can. She's only gotten one bit so far this year. We don't have a problem with ticks here. Wonder why they're both picking on you this year? Maybe there's just an abundance of them due to all the rain and they're really hungry.

I love lupines but they fade away in my clay soil :(

Woody, what a good friend you are to do weeding for a friend. That's my most dreaded garden chore I think. Sounds like you and Randy are enjoying his retirement.

Michelle, how nice to have all of the fresh veggies already. Makes me want to make a trip to the Farmer's Market for some of the things you mentioned. Bet your gardens loved that long drink of water. I always notice mine jumping up and greening up after a good rain. The hose just doesn't do the same trick.

Off to start the day. Omelet or pancakes will be my first big decision. Have a good one everybody!

Eden

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Marian, roof top gardens are really an in thing you know. I would gladly thin your cucmbers for you. Mine did not come up. Guess I need to replant them.

Michelle I noticed snow peas on my vines yesterday and a baby zuchinni. We have had radishes and greens too. I didn't do onions.

Eden, What are a few of your favorite mini hostas? I am planning a trip up to the daylily farm next week and he also has a lot of hostas, which is really the main reason I am going. I have daylillies out the wazoo but of course I'll probably wind up with a couple more.

GB, I would love to walat at the farm some morning. In fact I would love to walat with any one of you.

Woody how sweet of you to help out your friend. I hope all of you got a good nights rest.

Michelle it is still raining here this morning. I am going to have webfeet soon.

Cindy, I know what you are dealing with. Both the wet and the bugs. At least I don't have to go to the awfice.

Wheres Chelone this morning?

Waving to all the rest of you. Gotta get started on something. Norma

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Eden, what a wonderful idea the family breakfast is.
    Isn't it great that there are always new projects in the gardens? Thats the fun of them.

More photos from Deanne. Yeah! Will I ever get out to pull weeds?

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Fabulous Deanne, I was going to point out my favorite containers, but will have to look again. The rex begonia in the shell pot was one, and the hay racks are really neat. So many great combos in the containers and the terrace gardens and the long views are so inviting. I bet it is hard to keep from staring at it all right now. All that work wintering over those plants is really paying off.
    And His highness loves exploreing it all.

Norma

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

It's really hard to know Im supposed to be working when there is so much lovely distraction and daydreaming I could do to get the day to move along here!!!

Superlatives are becoming terribly mundane and repetitive for me here -- so much beauty.

Deanne -- that fuschia makes me think of a marvelous milliner's creation -- just like someone's fancy Easter bonnet or Las Vegas showgirl head ornament. I have that shell container but I have struggled as to what to put in it -- you have put the most perfect combo that just strikes perfectly against it -- you have such an eye... Im shaking my head in wonder....

Norma -- rooftop trendy gardens, LOL.... Im sure Eden has me beat on the mini hosta collection but I've been buying a few since IU in Pa where we saw some wonders -- I actually love Blue Mouse Ears (which Walmart has this year for $3 a healthy plant - which is incredible); I also like Cameo. I've found a few of them or at least the ones I got from a couple mail order places (I think one called Lemon Lime) is a bit of a dud - it's very weak growing and struggling -- or it could be the plant that was sent to me ... Since I've got a small yard though, they appeal to me to tuck into places where they wont crowd other things out...I'll have to look at my list to see which others I am enjoying -- but Im sure others here will have some to add yea or nay to.

Eden -- that is such a wonderful idea re the weekly breakfasts -- no wonder you have such a lovely and warm family! I seem to be like Bella this year -- the bites Im getting are swelling to over 2 inches and in odd shapes -- went to the dr to make sure they were indeed just mosquito bites -- he was even impressed -- but said it was just "me" reacting -- I do think I'll be having squito ponies landing in the yard -- and I would not mind a ride away from the rain, Deanne, LOL - they are saying another entire week of daily t-storms - heavy flooding today -- Le grand sigh.... a Desert somewhere is sounding pretty nice right now.

Ok - reality check now - back to work....

-cindy

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Break timeIve actually managed to find homes for several of my new botani-kids , all in front so far. Pulled some weeds, did some hose hauling ,spread some worm castingsjust about time to move to the back . What a lot of stuff there is to look at around these parts good thing Im off work this week !

Jeez Cindy, I thought Seattle was fungus corners but Im not so sure now !I dont blame you in the least for being sick of it . WALATing with an umbrella and a can of Off just isnt the same. So glad to hear there are so many others out there with Lupine incompetancy.

Deanne, enjoyed your latest gallery this morning over coffee. Who cares about the newspaper when you have stuff like that to look at ? Im not going to even try to ask you the names of all the stuff ,Ill just bring a notebook with me to IU ! Wonderful combos this year as usual ..Sounds like youre going to need a crane to get the banana into the basement this winter

Ok , time to head back out

Kathy in Napa

PS. Planted this morning

3 Ageratum h. Blue Horizon (this is the long stemmed tall version not the little soldiers used for carpet bedding. I used to be able to get it in 6-paks not not to be found the last couple of years-Annie had it

3 Convolvulus tri color Royal Ensign

Echium platagineum Blue Bedder this is a low growing Echium that I am putting in an area that does not hold water well in my hell strip it will replace a struggling Tapien Verbena.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

We had a date...at the dentist's this morning. So there's a new lady hygienist there and she was really nice and inspired confidence in what she was doing. Good!

So 1 hour for DH, then 1 hour for moi...and then lunch. After which I begged for a few minutes at the nursery that is half way home. No interesting clematis (phew!) but I picked up a few annuals that appealed to me: Alternathera pin gris, Felicia variegata, Abutilon Savitzii, Euphorbia First Blush and Coleus 'Bipolar By Golly'. Who invents these names anyway???

So it is pouring once again... and I don't mind. I'm too tired to weed and I have been loaned a good book to study, The Hostapedia, an Encyclopedia of Hostas by Mark R. Zilis.

Now, how to get more seeds of that Angelica purpurea? Hmmmmm.

Later,
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

'bug, Eden is growing angelica 'Ebony', that's the one I'll be looking for.

14 years ago

I slept very well last night - and a good part of this morning too! :-) Which meant I didn't get as much done as I planned today! The morning - what was left of it - was spent on misc. uninteresting things. This afternoon we went to a new nursery - have you been to Taylor Nursery in Milton gb? They had some nice stuff - I was strongly tempted by a Gipsy Queen clematis - what a fabulous color! (It was in bloom...) But I resisted... They had some interesting statues, wall ornaments and water features. Here is a picture of some of the wall hanging things:
    {{gwi:162344}}
    And they had this great delphinium - I didn't look at the name because the color wouldn't work in my garden but it sure was eye-catching!:

{{gwi:162345}}

Best of all they had big containers of Myke - the mycorrhizal fungus supplement I use every time I plant something. It's getting hard to find around here so I was very pleased to find the largest size containers - with a 'best before' date in spring 2011 so it should be good for awhile.

You've got to love a DH who, when leaving the nursery, says 'should we swing by Tera (another nursery/garden center); there's one not too far from here....' So we went to Terra and I bought a Snow Queen and a Star of India clematis. I'm really annoyed though because I was looking for a white group 3. The tag on Snow Queen says hard prune but COTW say group 2.... I guess I need to find a different home for it and keep looking for a white group 3. GB - do you have Rouge Cardinal? If so, can you please post a picture of it? Do the blooms start off a purpleish color and turn red as they age? If not, what I bought yesterday is a mis-labelled plant again!

On the subject of chainlink fences - all ours here are that. I don't mind the black ones - they fade into the background; green is bad because it's always the wrong color green and is thus more noticeable. They make great climbing frames for vines....

I smell the rhubarb crisp burning... gotta go...

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Today was another go-nowhere day ,the garage was opened for easy access to tools etc, but the car remained stationery. I did quite a bit of digging in my new areas; I need major soil amendments before I can plant anything. If the wind ever dies down this evening Ill go perform a WALAT for the purpose of planning my garden strategy for tomorrow. This wind issue weve had this spring has been very annoying-although Im sure its preferable to Cindys incessant rain !

Woody, what interesting stuff at the nursery you visited- it also made me think about how we all seem to travel with our cameras ! There are always ideas out there to be photographed.

Wondering how Vs world is shaping up

All for now..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Woody, it was a really wet and buggy day here. At least I didn't have to move hoses around. I never heard of Taylor Nursery before. That delphinium is an amazing colour! I have to stick with blues though for that area of my garden. Good to know about them!
    Terra I do know and we used to pass by there on our return trips from Buffalo when visiting my Mom. I always needed a pick-me-up! For your white group 3 I strongly suggest Huldine. Others may be pretty, but not as healthy and floriferous. People talk about that on the clematis forums a lot. There is another one with small bell shapes that does really well for me, called Kaiu. Sorry to add that I've never grown the others. I've not ever seen Rouge Cardinal in real life. Star of India has always looked very dark and fantastic in books.

Eden, I'm wondering where you got Angelica Ebony from...or if you started it from seed. I've asked a friend in UK to look for seeds for me. Canadian Google only showed up a porn star when I looked there! LOL.

DD's family has finalized travel plans for an August visit here, combining it with a trip to her former room mate's wedding in NH on the 8th. I'll probably get to keep the dog, but I'd sure love to attend the wedding! She's a real sweetie of a lady and I am so happy for them! DD and Ivy will stay 3-4 days longer here at the end which will be great, but Skyler and his Dad must return early so that the young man can leave on yet more holidays with his Mom.

This weekend is the beginning of a long week of work and fun at the NC Fair. A time of very mixed emotions it will be as Reed's birthday takes place then as well as Father's Day. Today they received my pirate ship gifts and were delighted.

The dentist discovered that my teeth are worn from grinding. "Have you been under any stress lately?" Oh brother... Now talk of night guards...which can be DAY guards if I need that as well. Life...

Tomorrow I hope to get some more weeding accomplished if things aren't too mucky. Maybe Sue will magically appear to cheer us on to this last work day of the week? V, I know all will go well and want you to know that I've put in my request for SUN all weekend.
    'bug

• anitamo
    14 years ago

It was a drizzley, dreary day. Glad again that it was a work day. Things are looking up in the salon, clients are thumbing their noses at the economy and getting their hair done again. Nice to see.

I think it was michele who asked if the bench was vintage? I don't think so. It was a hand me down from my MIL. I do get a chance now and then to sit and enjoy the view, but then I see a weed and off I go. I need more seating areas.

Cindy...Sorry to hear you haven't had much sun lately. And ouch on the bites. I've been getting some very itchy mosquito bites this year, too. Not too welty, just very itchy. Global climate again? Did you get a tic bite?

woody...what a good friend you are. I bet she over the moon happy with you. Mascular degeneration is a mean disease.

eden...Great find on the chair. Don't you just love those instant surprises? I mentioned your weekly family breakfasts
    to my sister, saying it was a great idea and we should start that. She agrees. Thanks for the idea. We'll probably do a monthly one, though.

deanne...What can I say that hasn't been said already about your gardens? I'll need my thesaurus to find some new adjectives, LOL. They are simply outstanding and gorgeous. What do you feed your pots with? And how often? I'm going to copy your pot regimen and see how close I can come to your "greatness."

marion...love the "roof top" garden. Very healthy looking veggies.

'bug...You must be so excited about the upcoming family visit. And it's icing on the cake to get your two girls alone for a few extra days. Have you planted any ivy for Ivy? I have a night guard, and it helps a lot. I don't grind my teeth, just clench, but it does wear the teeth down just the same. You can wake up with headaches and jawaches from all that night time clenching and grinding, so get the guard. You won't be sorry. When is Reed's birthday? You will all be in my thoughts that day. Glad they liked your playground contributions.

Hi to all, and to all a good night!
    Anita

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Hello friends! Things are moving along well here. The house is clean, the lavender plants have been prepped, table assignments are ready. Today, DD and I are getting manicures and pedicures, then we will join the rest of the group at the reception site where we will start setting things up. Although you only have to pay for one day at the reception site, they never book back-to-back events so that you can set up a day early. How nice is that?

I'm very glad that I had yesterday off. Two of my nieces and a couple of the wedding party came over to help prep the lavender plants, we carved up a smoked turkey from my son's boss fur lunch sandwiches and then had grilled hot dogs and brats for dinner. I'm kind of glad that the rehearsal dinner is at a restaurant tonight, so that someone else can do the cooking and cleanup!

I'm going to get back at it here - some small clean up to do and things to pack up before we go. I hope to have some photos Sunday evening!

V.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

A very rainy day with heavy overcast yet again. Im going to start growing mushrooms if the sun doesnt come out soon. Im starting to lose a few plants from a few of the containers because theyve been too wet for too long. Grrrrr.. Its always something isnt it? Thanks for all the kind comments re the gardens.

Anita, I give my pots the recommended dose of Osmocote slow release fertilizer when I plant them up then after a few weeks I begin a weekly liquid feed with either Algoflash, Maxsea, Miracle Grow or whatever liquid feed I happen to have on hand. I like to switch them out too. You can tell by watching the growth on the container plants whether or not they need a feed. The growth slows down a lot, in the case of the brugmansias they begin to get a lot of yellowing on the leaves. Or with flowering plants they stop setting buds. I do a daily walkabout where I take a look at everything and make mental notes of which containers need attention. Im having a dickens of a time with aphids this year and dont know why.

Woody, great delphinium and I love those faces!

Kathy, that Echium platagineum Blue Bedder is gorgeous. Ive never seen that around here. Im looking forward to seeing how it does in your gardens. ~~ LOL re the crane and the banana. You are probably right.

Cindy, Id been looking for B. Escargot for that shell planter all year and couldnt find it. This B. Evelyn Weidner is supposed to curl like Escargot and Im hoping it does its thing. ~~ Hope you get some sunshine soon..

Eden, I just love the whole idea of your weekly family breakfasts. Thats pretty special. ~~ I cant seem to grow lupines either.

Norma, I got those hayracks from Kinsman company and theyve been there for a while now. They make a really great product that holds up. I had to replace the coco fiber liners this year but I believe this is the fourth or fifth season Ive had them.

V. how great you were able to pop in here. Sounds like the event is in full swing there. Cant wait for pics and to hear all about it.

OK Ive got to run and get my day started. WE are having our Friday evening with friends get together here and Ive got to get some painting done today as well. Have a great day all.

Deanne

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Woody - I just love love those planters -- I have a collection Im working on of "head" planters - Im weird I know, but they just strike my fancy - instead of cupids or something -- I've spent hours online looking for them - I've never seen a Greenman one like you show among the others -- very very cool.... so they're out there - just have to figure where in the U.S. they are. I think you hve a gem of a spouse -- truly well trained for DH of a plantswoman -- he knows the proper itineraries and order of things, LOL. Sounds like you had a special day. I concur w/ 'bug who's the expert of course -- Huldine is really a gem -- I will try to post some pics of mine that's been really putting on a show this year. You're brave to go w/ the Type IIs; I've about given up on them for this region.

V -- best wishes for your special weekend -- sounds like things all came together -- that's a special place that doesnt book 24 hours before another event -- in this neck of the woods, they book 'em by the 1/2 -- there can be on in the a.m., and then one again in the p.m, and then another in the evening.... it's a big rush and hassle/stress ridden planning.

Well, must start the work day.

--cindy

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Sending out wishes of luck, happiness and sun to V and her family. Looking forward to seeing the photos on Sunday, if you have the time, of course.

Thanks deanne for the info on pot feeding. I think I haven't been feeding them often enough.

Have a great day everyone. Hi to all.

I miss chelone's morning posts the past two days and Sue's TGIF posts.

Anita

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Has anyone heard from Chelone??? I am concerned about her.
    And I miss Sue's TGIFs, too.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good Morning from the left coast

Mixing up the gardening with some indoor stuff today-staycation is on the wane and as usual the inside of the house has gotten short shrift . I had good intentions at the start of the week. But now I have all these plants to install !

Deanne, the Tower of Jewels and Pride of Maderia Echiums are used quite a bit along the coast, but are way to gigantic for my garden. I also purchased a Fuchsia called Sharpitor which I am going to plant in the ground , very pale variegated foliage and slender pale pink flowers.

Glad to hear that V is still in one piece as the great day nears.

Cindy , maybe we need a photo series of the garden heads ! If it stops raining long enough for you to get yourself outside with the camera !

OK, got to get going here back later

Where has Chelone gotten to ?

Kathy in Napa

14 years ago

Yes, where is Chelone...?!

'bug and Cindy - I did manage to find a Huldine this morning. I planted one a week or so ago on the north alley fence so now I have two! I'll plant the Snow Queen to climb into the Japanese wisteria. The Chinese wisteria has two Henryi climbing into it. I think the Japanese one is big enough now to take a clematis starting to grow into it.

gb - there are lots of Terra locations around here. There are three we stop at fairly regularly. They have a surprisingly good selection of plants and the prices are not too bad. How exciting to have the August visit to look forward to! If they'd like to go for a drive and garden tour when they're here, you could always head down this way.... :- ) Indy's coming too? You'll have to take lots of pictures of her at play with Phoebe!

Cindy - the heads were a mixture of ones to hang on a wall and ones that were curved so they fit around a pot without being a planter. I guess that is so they could be used as a small statue if that seemed appropriate. I didn't look at any of the tags in detail so don't remember the manufacturer's name. The link below is to the nursery. Maybe you could e-mail them to ask who the manufacturer is. I was tempted by the greenman but I didn't dare look at the price!

V - have a fun weekend. We expect pictures.... :- )

Deanne - i will try to give my brugs more ferilizer this year when I see the leaves start to yellow. They seem to be more high maintenance than I like but I'll give them one more year before I decide their fate!

• denisez10
    14 years ago

I have been reading posts and writing posts as well, but then mostly hitting delete afterwards. This was last night's post for a flavor:

"Rhubarb crisp...be still my beating heart! We've been living on lentils and couscous most of the week. Just got back from seeing my dad at the hospital, where he's been since Monday. His C02 levels were dangerously high but are stabilizing. Lungs just aren't exchanging gases like they're supposed to. A few minutes after I arrived he starts declaring he needs money...an ominous turn of events, since he's been known to call a cab in the middle of the night and bolt from the hospital, against medical advice, in nothing but his hospital gown flapping in the breeze. My poor mother...

The spring/early summer photos are glorious. PM, here's a photo taken yesterday of the bathhouse. No new photos of Ms. Katie though. Bathhouse screens are in place, sheeted object in background is the tub, which will go about where the chair sits on the porch, grey cat skulks in the foreground. It has a treehousy effect, right under the Chinese fringe tree. Under the screens will all be enclosed, of course. The cats and Ein think we are building it just for them:

{{gwi:162346}}

So you can now be thankful my delete key is fully functional!

Some photos from this morning. Some pots lined up in shade against the creeping-fig covered southern boundary wall, a concrete fence we inherited with the rampageous fig already planted on it The Paisley abutilon hanging on from last year but very thin in the leaf dept. Obviously needs Deanne's intensive care ward.

{{gwi:162347}}

Why brown flwrs are hard to photograph but lovely in the garden, Nicotiana 'Hot Chocolate'

{{gwi:162349}}

Grape now frames the potted agave

{{gwi:162351}}

Gladioulus, iresine and plectranthus and Euphorbia mellifera peaking in

{{gwi:162352}}

Some of the "aerial fizz" going on, gaura and alkanet and yarrow. Coreposis 'Full Moon,' is in here, starting to flop but finally budding up, new to me this year. That senorita cleome is my new fave plant. Pots against wall can be seen in the background. Our lot is 5400 sq ft

{{gwi:162353}}

that's about it from me. Hoping for fine weather in Chicago. (If I remember correctly, Chelone pulled a "runner" about this time last year and I asked Saucy to check up on her!)

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Denise, sorry to hear about your dad being in the hospital. You paint a pretty funny picture of him running out into the night in nothing but his gown, but that must be a real worry.

Your garden is GORGEOUS and so very different from anything we see here. I do hope to see some West Coast gardens someday! I hope you'll let me stop by if I ever make it.

I sent Chelone some personal emails about IU6, so you'd all better bet if I don't hear from her soon, I'll be giving her a call....but I'll bet she's just got computer problems or is really busy.

I'm filthy...I just came in from volunteering at the community barn to clean up/weed/mulch the GIANT butterfly garden (it looks small because it's in a field, but it's as big as my front yard!). I need to go clean myself up.

Tidbit....ever heard of Nun's Farts? LOL, it's a pinwheel cookie. Today was immigration day in Sarah's class, and we had to bring snacks that pertained to your family background....

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Cold and wet today - 57°
    Mostly sunny. High: 77°. Wind: Southwest 5-15 mph is the promised forcast for Saturday. I sure hope they are right.
    Last week I got buzzed by a hummingbird that is. The first this year. I just love it when Im working in the garden and hear that familiar buzz. Last night was another pleasant one for gardening. The frogs in the wetlands were trilling and the Brown Thrasher was singing his heart out. For you west coast gals who dont have them, the Brown Thrasher has one of the largest song repertoires of any North American bird.

V, I hope you have a fabulous weekend. Just relax and enjoy.

Norma, Im not far behind you in the veggie arena, I have blooms on the snow peas.

Deanne, that new fuchsia is incredible! I noticed you have a link I must check out.

Eden, what a nice idea with the family breakfast. The conservatory plants sound just perfect, very Victorian.

bug, I believe Eden mentioned getting the angelica Ebony seeds from Plant World Seeds.

Anita, good to hear that things are looking up in your business.

Cindy, LOL on the heads. Thats whats so fun about the Idyll gardens is that we each have our own unique style. Although, Ive only incorporated one so far, I have collected 3 old sinks for possible garden use LOL

Speaking of unique style I really enjoyed the latest pictures from Denise. I like how the grapes frame the agave and that last picture is just yummy!
    Denise, sorry to hear about your dad, the hospital escapee ;o)

Back to the grind, only an hour left.
    Michelle

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Aaargh -- poor Denise -- I hope they hold your Dad captive until they get things regulated properly - I was wondering about him -- thinking of ya - I know how stressful and worrisome that can be.

Thanks for not deleting the info or the photos, tho! I especially love that last "long" shot of the one bed -- glad to see the spa bath is continuing to progress - Im sure you'll be joined by more than just your pets when it's done -- as in, neighbor pets too!

Im envisioning Chelone either stuck at the White Elephant slaving away or working on deadline for the mounds of alterations she took in recently.... she'll resurface soon I expect.

Happy Friday and weekend all....

-cindy

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Evening all,

We are having five friends over for dinner tonight and Ive got a few minutes before I have to leap into action. I just wanted to thank Denise for posting those fabulous pics of her gardens. I love, love, love it! That new bathhouse is going to be terrific. That Paisley is a terrific Abutilon. Have you ever just cut it back? Im forever pinching and cutting them back to get good branching and form. Love that Plectranthus under it as well and that last photo just says it all. Wonderful! ~~~ So sorry about your dadWhat a worry.

Saucy, I didnt know you were from Acadian stock LOL about the Pet De Soeurs.

Michelle, hope you get a great weekend of gardening in.

Cindy, hope it stops raining long enough for you to get outside as well.

OK must run, have a great evening all,
    Deanne

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Good Friday evening Idylls. It's been a busy day. The weather was perfect. Bella's been here all day and Jen and Kate spent most of the day in the garden with us. I did get the conservatory mostly finished, still a couple of things I want to add but it's done for now.

Marie, Michelle's correct. I did order the Ebony seeds from Plant World. I'll try to save some for you guys though if you don't mind being patient.

Norma, I'll be back to discuss the mini hostas. I just have a minute now and wanted to put up some pictures of the conservatory.

{{gwi:162354}}

{{gwi:162355}}

{{gwi:162356}}

and I couldn't resist adding this one of my girls in the garden this morning.

{{gwi:162357}}

OK gotta run. Hope you're all having a great evening! Thinking of V and hope she's enjoying the festivities!!!

Eden

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

It's been a decent day weatherwise here today ,but I only got one vine planted and tried to help DH on his project.
    I woke up at 3:30 this morning from a bad dream and didn't want to go back to sleep, so I got up.
    After lunch I laid in the hammock and dozed off only to be awakend by DH's fourth call(so he says). He needed me to make a dash to town for more concrete mix. It was crucial. So I dusted my knees and swiped at my feet and figured if I was buying concrete they would understand. I think I was still half asleep on my trip to town, but mission accomplished.

V have a great weekend.

Bug, how nice that Ivy will be making her first trip to Grandmas house. I'm glad you reccomended Huldine for Woody. I need a type 3 white to plant with my Jackmania. I'll probably have to order it.

Denise, I'm happy you didn't delete your post. The bath house is interesting to me and we get to see more of your garden. I wish I had a large agave like yours. What a worry with your dad. I hope he improves soon.
    Love that Gladioulus, iresine combo.

Saucy, Those nun farts look yummy to me.

Everyone enjoy the weekend. I had to ask DH what day it was today. This week flew by.

Later N

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Oh Eden it is just as cute as I thought it would be! Brad and you make an excellant team. We will need a night shot too.

I'can't believe Kate is strong enough to be propped up in that chair even for a instant photo op. A precious photo of the two of them suitable for framing.

Norma

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Eden...I love the Conservatory! It's delightful and cheery. I can't believe Bella isn't scrambling to get it for her very own "doll" house. Is that the wicker chair you picked up curb side? It looks to be in excellent shape and goes perfect in the C. Love the photo of your girls. I echo Norma's comment that I can't believe Kate is strong enough to be sitting up like that. My, how fast they grow.

denise...so sorry to hear about your dad's health worries. Hope he'll be fine very soon. Great shots of your garden and bath house. I love that last photo with a wide shot of the area. You and Kathy can plant so many cool things in your zone that I can only dream of.

Gotta get me a Huldine, too. My want list grows every time I read the Idylls. Bad influence all of you.:-)

Anita

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Hola mi amigas, (and amigos in the event of any dude lurkers )

The wind has died down here thank goodness and Im whipping up some pasta for dinner. I had all intentions of doing housework today, but the road to hell etc..

I did do some work on one of my shameful areas , the bed that Eden is planted in. This rose is so frustrating but I put up with it to enjoy her first bloom which is always spectacular. I spent a long time removing diseased foliage and trying to make something happen beneath her. I am going to put in some Aeoniums as it is poor soil and inconsistent lighting.

The conservatory turned out great Eden ! I notice the white lights and wonder if you will be able to get us a pic of the lit-up version ?

Things are looking good at Villa Denise too. I had to laugh re: the Deanne ICU for your Abutilon- I have an A. savitizii that also needs a Deanne intervention. Mine have to recover from a winter outside and they often struggle. Sorry to hear of your Dad stuff, but you should know that we are vent central here, and if you need to unload we are ready to listen. Funny how one figures one has it made once the teenagers have been disposed of that lasts about 20 minutes ; adult children, parents etc. etc. theres always something to deal with.

OK, time for an evening WALAT before the sun goes over the yardarm

Buenos Noches

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Eden, I love the conservatory!

The rehearsal and rehearsal dinner went great. One of the bridesmaids hugged me as I was leaving and told me our family was the type of family people dreamed of having. After growing up with an alcoholic father, never wanting to bring friends home, this was the highest praise I could ever hear from someone.

I can't wait for tomorrow! I wish you all were going to be here with me!

V.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Aw V, what a great compliment! We wish we were going to be there with you too. We WILL be in a way you know! One of a Mom's great moments...which you'll remember always!

Yesterday I tried to post twice...and failed. The messages are getting tired for me, so I'll simply join in to say that Denise's photos are fabu-fabu and that Bella is a lucky gal to be able to enjoy her grandma and grandpa's fantasy garden!

DH rented a chain saw yesterday and spent an hour or two cutting up trees and branches on our property. I couldn't watch, but later observed that lots was accomplished! Then we were off to dinner with our French Club friends. Today is another busy day of cleanup as well as DH's recital practice. I hope to get some more weeding done too, keeping in mind PM's list. I fear I'll be the last to complete my assignment!

For all you Huldine lovers, try to plant your clematis in a position where you can also see the backs of the blooms...because their veining is a treat to look at. Check out the photos below. You may recognize one of the photographers. ;)

Time to get up and go!
    'bug

• jak1
    14 years ago

O.K. so here's the thing. If you look into my current backyard from the wine deck, there is a large garden shed at back left of the lot and a large and beautiful perennial bed at the right back of the lot. Behind the shed is a beautiful old log building and the apple orchard, and the view also includes a greenspace park. DG has always maintained that the shed should be on the right and the garden, which is now full of huge mature plants just about the burst into flower, should be on the right. Of course now that we are getting a fence, getting any kind of heavy equipment in here will be impossible.

Do you see where this is going?

The shed is being moved one week from Monday.The fence will be going in the same day.

This gives me one week - one week- to dig out and bag up or pot up or whatever, about a hundred huge plants. And of course, the contractor says, the clothes line will have to be relocated. and we realize of course that using a tractor and a "dozer won't do our lawn any good...

My backyard, which I finally declared complete this spring, will be a construction zone all summer. *sigh* It never ends...

On the bright side, redesigning the garden will be fun, and as the contractor also said, by next summer it will all look gorgeous and you'll never know what a mess it was.

Oh V -This will be such a wonderful day for you and your family! And I agree, you have been paid a wonderful compliment.

Eden, I love the conservtory! I am going to show that to my DH - he is excellent at putting things like that together and maybe I could have something similar too. If that is the freebie chair, you really lucked in! Looks great!

Oh Gee, I thought the photo was of Bella with a dolly! How cute, the two of them in their little chair!

My goodnes, Denise, your gardens are lovely! The bath house is coming along - a very neat idea. Such an inventive and creative group of people here!

I'm going to run off to start my day now. I will be digging up plants...Maybe I should take some pictures first....

Deanne - I too am overrun with aphids - ugly black ones that I've never had before. I am trying to just wash them off, but there sure are tons.

Cheers,

Julie

• chelone
    14 years ago

Hello all! I believe my computer has experienced a catastrophic failure, seemingly electrical in nature. Thunderstorm, perhaps? dunno. But am awaiting the expertise of my 2 favorite computer gurus. I'm on the helpmeet's machine right now.

I've decided things like this happen for reasons, though. I am buried in work right now and am facing a strict deadline that precludes too much screwing around in front monitors, lol.

Cross your fingers that the problem can be easily remedied. I'll try to catch up on my reading later today, as I see the Idyll du jour is blazing right along.

Best wishes to V. as I know this is the BIG DAY and everything will be picture perfect and the newlyweds will live happily ever after. May time stand still today.

'bye

• deanneart
    14 years ago

A beautiful sunny morning here. What a treat. We had a fantastic time with good friends and a dinner for 5 turned into dinner for 10 at the last minute. I was scrambling around trying to make room for the extras, added more veggies to the salad etc. But what a great time we had. I havent laughed that much in a long time. I so wish you could see the gardens right now, so many lovely things going on. My Piilau is opening up and will be a curtain of color in the Sundial Garden. Another few days. Ill have to grab a pic of it for you.

V. Wish we were going to be there with you too. All the best to your family on this great and memorable day.

Eden, just LOVE the conservatory and that chair was the find of the year.

Kathy, I lol over your "shameful areas". Too funny.

Bug, congrats on your Huldine photos being featured on that web site.

Julie, sounds like you have your work cut out for you but youll be so pleased with the final result and the truth is that next summer youll be sitting on your wine deck enjoying the view with the shed where it should be. Maybe you should install a sprinkler system while its all torn up? LOL ~~~ Yes Ive got those nasty black ones here to and Ive no idea why so many or where they are coming from. I hose them off and there are as many the next day.

Chelone, bummer about the computer. Hope it is an easy and inexpensive fix.

OK Im burning daylight and have to get outside and get some work done. Have a great day everyone.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

The chain saw is buzzing as I type here....I believe it is willow branches this time. Huge impossible ones.

I planted up a few more things in the yellow and blue garden this morning. After that I tried an ant treatment. We are subjected to ant hills here every year and they nest under particularly valuable plants usually. Anyone have the perfect solution? I've tried boiling water, Raid and other things, but they do little good. Then I needed to collect things around the house to carry off to the dump. That will be a trip for me later today. I'd prefer a wedding to all this stuff.

Julie, who would have guessed that your dogs would be such an expense?!! To have to revamp the entire backyard is a bit much... You always try to find the positive and I am amazed how you succeed. You really should have moved closer so we could all help move plants. Would a small group from your Hort Society come lend a hand? After all you do for them it seems only fair to me! Gee, two or three hours and eight people would accomplish a great deal I think.

I still haven't made it to my edging project. Still a couple of indoor tasks before that will be possible.

Good luck with your computer gurus Chelone! Tell them it is an emergency, that your public needs you.

Onward!
    'bug
    {{gwi:162358}}

• denisez10
    14 years ago

There's Chelone!

Thanks for the comments re my dad. My mom is still laughing -- dunno how she does it. The smartest thing that man ever did was marry her!

Saucy, you see such different plants in my garden because I've tried to grow most of the plants you guys grow and they vote with their roots, i.e. die! Your cast leaves are unbelievably gorgeous, whatever color. I'm always on the lookout now for more Saucy-leaf material.

Eden, I just missed your post. The conservatory came out beautifully. What an enchanted garden you have. Does Bella look like one long-limbed little girl in that pose, and I admit it gave me a shock to see Kate in an adirondack, Your agave hits the road today at last.

The very best to you today, V. It sounds like all the prep is well under control and now you can relax and have a marvelous time. What a lovely but deserved compliment to your family.

Julie, that contractor sounds a little too philosophical about all your upcoming hard work! I like a challenge too, but to dig up your mature garden...sigh. The view without the shed does sound stunning. That's exactly what we do, jump from one project to the next. I swore this year there'd be no construction but I'm the worst instigator, I'm afraid. I have a very old door that's going to be a long table for the tiled area near the bathhouse. A neighbor does welding so we'll see if we can get a metal base to it.

I do see the excellent photographer's name on the Huldine photos. What a beauty. My Betty Corning survived, is growing lustily - what a gal! -- and has a bud. I grew her in the large pot all last summer and have just moved her to under the smoke tree Grace, some low branches to grow on and she's scrambling.

Kathy, I bet that week flew by but was a very productive staycation with the occasional excursion. I kept meaning to post before you got to Annies to look out for Calceolaria mexicana, a little annual that blooms it heart out in shade, screaming yellow pouches. Deanne would love it. I'll collect lots of seed this summer from it.

Michelle, I'm going to look for that bird on youtube.

Anita, your garden is so beautiful, thanks for posting those photos.

I started from seed some "bucket" plants, stuff I've never done before like sunflowers. No space in the garden so they're in a silver dustbin lined up against the house. The Moulin Rouge just opened two blooms yesterday, and I think I'm hooked.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Keeping it short today, but wanted to thank everyone for photos, I've enjoyed them.
    I'm in love with your Conservatory, Eden! Very pretty color and the way you've staged the plants in it and the 'chair find' is perfect there. I have to agree that the lights must be something at night and require another night photo. :-) Denise, I am jealous of your bathtub retreat too. Still love all your tile. I can't wait to see it completed. It is really coming along. It reminds me of that photo you posted once of the screen porch with the metal tub on it. Lucky ducks! Marian, you are amazing with your Toyota Potager. Your plants look nice and healthy. I think you've outfoxed them. [g] Love the latest fuchsia, Deanne and Carolina Moonlight, Marie. Woody those heads are a riot. Keep sharing the baby pics, I look forward to them. Still a few more photos and news to come in but plenty of time, it's only the middle of June. Yes Anita, one bug is replaced with something else. [g] Thanks for the cutoff date for pinching back the Asters, Eden. Camera purchase has been put on hold, momentarily. I will pop in when I can. Looking for wedding photos next....I'm very happy with the amount of rain we have had lately and no watering needed for awhile. A very good thing. That's all for now....happy sunday. :-)