Foxglove

{{gwi:162460}}

Clematis Pangbourne Pink

{{gwi:162461}}

Comments (12)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

I like the 'bum' shot! :-)

I tried growing Eremurus once but they didn't survive. Clearly you have the right conditions for foxgloves! And clematises.... you are a wicked enabler with those things!

• anitamo
    15 years ago

Beautiful Monday, for sure. You have such an array of different plants. Always look forward to seeing what's blooming on your farm.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Wonderful 'bug, think I'll stock up on the smelling salts for the progression shot of the blue and yellow garden once those Delphs open-that will be something !

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

The blue and yellow garden blends so well with the house GB. I lke your yellow trim work.
    I need a nice freeflowering clematis the color of Fukuzono. Jackmania is to large. Any suggestions? Norma

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Marie, it is all beautiful ! I espacially like all the tall spikey flowers. I wish I could grow them here.:-)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Triple Creek: Take a look at Prince Charles and see if that suits you.

Also look at Emelia Plater:
    http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=159

Here is a link that might be useful: COTW

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Youza. Just beautiful. Martie

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

As I like to say "Oh Nelly!" Those delphs are going to be fabu fabu. Please post when the are in full bloom. Your foxgloves are wonderful too, I can't seem to grow them :o(
    Thanks for the sharing the beauty that you live with.

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

What a lovely June scene! I remember seeing previous photos of your house with stone. Is this the back of your house? I love the color theme against the brown house, which is one of my favorite colors on a home. Such a great idea to have the delphiniums right in front of the windows, so you can enjoy them from inside too. What is the white that is blooming now?

I didn't realize that Eremurus was hardy to your zone. I really like them but never think of using them for some reason. I wonder if they are difficult to grow? LOVE the name 'Cleopatra'...lol. Your foxglove are standing up straight! Mine are already bending over to the ground with seed capsules. Do you stake yours? They are so tall and beautiful!!

Also love the bum shot of the Juuli Clematis. The texture on many of the Clematis is something I really enjoy. I've never seen such a large stand of Penstemon Husker's Red. Really nice!

Looking forward to additional photos when the Delphs and Eremurus bloom!

pm2

• deanneart
    15 years ago

How lovely! I'm so very envious of your delphinium and you have so many! I've never had much success with them. Do you replant or is that patch self sustaining? I used to have to replant the delphs about every three years of so as they faded away. I'm wondering now if the rodents at them? I agree that I'm hoping you post more photos as they mature.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This view of the house is from the East and shows an addition put on the house in the late 80s. It is covered in board & batten. The windows you see are of a multi-purpose room where Phoebe sleeps, laundry is done, plants are overwintered, tools are stored, etc.

When we first moved in 11 years ago, this garden consisted of a huge tree stump(willow), ditch lilies and that variegated invasive stuff...whose name escapes me. (Goutweed, now I remember!) I spent 2 weeks with a friend weeding and sifting out the roots, then added top soil and finally planted the yellows and blues. The white you see is a white peony with clematis Durandii.

The delphiniums seem to be holding their own pretty much. I find new ones where I haven't planted any sometimes. One or two seem to have twisted odd blooms, (perhaps a virus?) and I'll probably replace them. I don't mind buying 1-2 new ones every couple of years if necessary.

This year is unusual in that so far they are still vertical. Once they bloom, they will no doubt topple every which way...there are too many to stake. Each plant is bound in string around bamboo stakes. There are about 10 plants there. After the main bloom, I cut them back and get a few more blooms later on.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Thanks Gardenbug....very interesting to hear how that particular bed developed. I envy you your 'muit-purpose' room. Sounds like a very comfortable space to be productive in and to look out at the garden. I would just be happy with a mud room to leave our dirty garden shoes. [g] At present they end up in the kitchen by the back door. I also always wanted laundry on the first floor instead of the basement. Lovely arrangement!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!